• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Looking for a GM/Group For A Semi-Silly Game

Sleipnir

The Eight-Legged Norse Horse
Hey everyone,

My sister Hel Hel and I are looking for a group and DM to play one (or more!) campaign/s with.

The one campaign we have in mind should be a loose, only semi- serious affair intended mostly to offer a lot of freedom for mildly over the top character designs that might GET over the top — but not overpowered character design. We want to allow for serious moments and enjoy character-driven stories far more than combat-driven ones.

The GM will have a lot of freedom to develop the world how they like. Other than the tone we're looking for we just want to allow for referencing things from our real world. Some internal consistency is of course important, but overall we want time to be silly but sometimes also serious within the context of the universe. We were kind of thinking "magic post apocalypse," almost like a Fallout set-up but not quite. We're very adaptable as far as game system goes; preference would be something with a gunslinger class but we can make things work with or without it.

We currently have three total party members interested including the two of us and would also be happy to pick up a couple more interested players.

Last edited:
What system would you be using?
We’re pretty flexible- pathfinders, 3.5, and 5e are what I have the most experience with, but we are willing to learn others. I’d like to be able to try a gunslinger for the character I have in mind, but I can change that up, too.

Ah cool. I don't know 3.5 that well, but I could do PF or 5e. Question on 5e though; since this is only semi serious, how open are y'all to Unearthed Arcana? Because I've been wanting to try the Kensei archetype for a while, and they just recently rebalanced it.

Ah, cool. I'd love to join then; just tell me what system you decide on and how I need to make my char.

Eh, what the hell. If y'all promise not to be as annoying as my last players I'll give it a shot. I do have some specifications though;
  1. Expect incredible amounts of snark
  2. Any published material is available, but I'd like to know the source of anything not in the core rulebook or DM rulebook.
  3. I am open to Unearthed Arcana (ie play test material), but you need to take it up with me first.
  4. I'll say it right now, use Revised Ranger if you want Ranger, but I will be house-ruling a bit since it is very front-loaded
  5. I am skeptical with Homebrew content; talk to me if you have an idea that doesn't fit a specific background or rule. But I will NOT accept outside Homebrew material
  6. Level 1, 4d6 drop lowest.
  7. I'm fine with new players. I actually have a starting adventure made specifically for teaching mechanics, but it depends how comfortable y'all are with 5e
  8. I do have limited time, so it'd have to be Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday evening EST. I refuse to GM over forums; I'll play, but to GM it'll be over Roll20
That is all. I still want to play, so any other DM is welcome to take the stage. Otherwise, if you're fine with me I'll get started planning.

I would be fine with your rules, for sure, but since you seem to want to play, more, well look a little while longer for a DM so you can be a character :)

Also I think Discord was the planned medium, but roll 20 can work too

Discord is great for voice chat, but Roll20 has a ton of tools that Discord can't replicate. Personal sheets and tokens, fog of war, multiple screens... We should still have a discord room though for messaging and talking.

I'll put my hat in to try GMing to see if everyone enjoys themselves. My storytelling can be referenced in "Lost Continent: Flight from Muurdaan" -- in the Fantasy Nation Builders... and I'm quite proud of it.

I GM free-form most happily but am also familiar with Pathfinder. As a GM I feel the highest rule is the "rule of cool" -- light the spotlight shared, and am a damn good GM if I say so myself.

For a Post-Apoc Fantasy game I have a few ideas but would love to flesh something out with players so I can give them what they want. My initial ideas for settings are:

1) The old gods have grown so powerful they have grown too great and distant from creation -- new gods, and their champions have been fighting for supremacy of the abandoned creation for centuries -- the world lies in ruins. Perhaps the party wishes to flee from the destruction of the gods or find a bulwark against the destruction. Maybe they wish to become champions of one god or another.

2) Nobody knows where the light went, and it's been a full generation since anybody who knew the light lived to keep alive the tales of the sun. Ruin, darkness and bone are all that is known to most -- that, and the horrors that dwell beyond the caves and camps that shed firelight to hold the beasts at bay. It is a time of hope in a hopeless time.

Darksun and "Thea: the awakening" are two already existing scenarios that could be fun to muck with.

Hit me up if you want to talk on discord.

I’d love to join. Been wanting to play this sort of thing for a while, only I can’t use Roll20 from my phone and I don’t have a computer, so it would have to be discord or here.

Beckoncall Beckoncall I've got my hands full with DMing but I'd love to play in a group DMed by you. I'll help you find a group if you want.

Lets try it!

Intrigued by your offer to find a new RP group. If you like we can chat on discord or spitball ideas for a good game plot you and others would enjoy playing!

Here are some RP ideas I'd run:

A) A post-apoc fantasy

B) A game where the players are mind-control/body-snatcher/nasty artifacts (like the one ring, ie) who by possessing progressively nasty dungeon creatures seek to rule and/or cause chaos in the underdark.

C) An alien invasion campaign -- with the players as the aliens!

D) "Dungeon Clearing Company" -- players form a party hired as subcontractors to clear dangerous areas of monsters and other assorted dirty work.

These are just a few ideas. I'd be content giving whatever group of worthy players a game concept or plot seed they'd prefer if none of these stick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back