• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Lockbridge (Main)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Benjamin holds Apteryx by the wrist, wrenching her back and out of harm's way. "Stay back, lady," A command from the ex-cop turned ex-con. "You're injured. YOU need to run! Get your shit together. Stop trying to be the hero. You'll just go and get yourself killed."

With Apteryx by his back, Ben rolls the sleeves of his uniform to his elbows and clenches his fists. While he might not be a police officer anymore, his urge to protect and serve remains nonetheless.

Benjamin holds Apteryx by the wrist, wrenching her back and out of harm's way. "Stay back, lady," A command from the ex-cop turned ex-con. "You're injured. YOU need to run! Get your shit together. Stop trying to be the hero. You'll just go and get yourself killed."

With Apteryx by his back, Ben rolls the sleeves of his uniform to his elbows and clenches his fists. While he might not be a police officer anymore, his urge to protect and serve remains nonetheless.
The pavement stizzled and cracked as she approached. "Hey honey. You think I'm hot?" The air rippled around her.
She stood there and struck a pose. "Take a photo, it'll last longer."

Dareia Adams
Apteryx
Fighting People She Shouldn’t On 4th Ave.
Interacting with Magma Woman & Ben

Now, as a fellow minimum wage restaurant worker in a shitty outfit, she wasn’t going to judge Ben for working at McDonalds. However, she was going to judge him for thinking he could deal with this lady without any protection in only that uniform. How would he fair any better than her? “I-“

Then it dawned on her. She realized this worked out better for her. Hopefully, this guy had something up his sleeve, for she needed some time. This thing was definitely over 100 lbs. so it would take some time before she could follow through with her plan. She silently and stealthily walked away from the two, as Magma Woman and Ben spoke, hoping it’d be a good distraction.

"I'm an ex-cop," mutters the man morosely. "Scram, lady--if you know what's good for you." He has trouble with his words--his breath--for the heat reduces the solemn severity in his tone of voice to a breathless rasp. Here, on 4th Avenue, it's hell on Earth. Literally. At least, the temperature is hot enough to be.

His hands are clammy and, in spite of the sweat beading on his brow, his heart beating to the thrumming hum of the heat, the kettle-shriek of water in the air misting over, Ben holds those fists and slippery fingers of his with absolute conviction.

She narrowed her eyes at the girl, seeing her edge away. What is she doing? What's her aim? But before she could get an idea of the little shit's intentions, the sound of police sirens wailed through the streets. "Fuck." She flashed yellow in frustration. "I'm gonna barbecue the two of you next time." She turned and strolled away.
LPD vehicles turned in and stopped, their doors opened and a few cops came out, including Chief of Police, Lexus Rexford.
"Alright Dick Suckers, hands up like I'm about to give y'all a blow job from hell-- which means a bullet in the crotch if ya don't co-operate." She said as she marched towards the few remaining. She didn't even bother to pull out her gun. If they thought she was bluffing, well, they were obviously new to town.
"So, what's the shit-hole situation we got here?"

Dareia Adams
Apteryx
Fighting People She Shouldn’t On 4th Ave.
Interacting with Magma Woman & Ben

“Definitely not property damage. Least on my part. Nope.” Apteryx sheepishly put her hands to her sides. She had been trying to break the fire hydrant, in the hopes of putting out the flame, that had some obvious damage to it now. While she couldn’t lift 100 lbs., she thought with some time she would be able to break it. Now she wouldn’t know. Least she knew she could at least damage it?? Maybe they wouldn’t notice?

“Um, Candlestick was trying to burn down this building here and in general do bad stuff. I was trying to stop it and I think I did an okay job.” She winced, gripping her shoulder again. “Other than a bullet wound but you know, happens. By the way, this really hurts. Like really bad.”

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

Canzoni Preferite - Daisuke Kanegawa, Yugo Kanno
1:05 ───|────── 2:52

|◁ II ▷|

Wearing: | X | X | X |​

When the villain escaped and the police showed up, Corey took that as his cue to leave. He put his headphones back in and continued further down the alley, taking the path behind the buildings to avoid any questions from the police. While he walked, he checked out the video he took. He smiled to himself, pleased at the great footage he managed to get. It was the first time he had really witnessed any action firsthand, and he found it equal parts cool and terrifying.

Not that he particularly wanted it to happen again, of course. It was lucky that he didn’t wind up getting involved this time, and no one seemed to notice him.

He managed to get to the grocery store and do his shopping without incident. The one exception was the overly friendly cashier who, for some reason, wanted to know his opinion on current events.

“So, did you hear that the police are gonna be hiring supers?” she asked while scanning Corey’s third package of ramen.

“Um, no… That’s really cool, though,” he replied because although he didn’t exactly want to be talking to her, he had to be polite.

“You should think about it. You’d be right at home as a superhero.”

“Eh, maybe… I don’t know.”

Of course not. As much as he admired superheroes, he would never be cut out for the job. In another life, maybe.

In a few minutes, he was out the door carrying two bags of food. Hopefully he would be able to get back to his apartment and the company of his computer and plants without any more curveballs.

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

Canzoni Preferite - Daisuke Kanegawa, Yugo Kanno

|◁ II ▷|

When the villain escaped and the police showed up, Corey took that as his cue to leave. He put his headphones back in and continued further down the alley, taking the path behind the buildings to avoid any questions from the police. While he walked, he checked out the video he took. He smiled to himself, pleased at the great footage he managed to get. It was the first time he had really witnessed any action firsthand, and he found it equal parts cool and terrifying.

Not that he particularly wanted it to happen again, of course. It was lucky that he didn’t wind up getting involved this time, and no one seemed to notice him.

He managed to get to the grocery store and do his shopping without incident. The one exception was the overly friendly cashier who, for some reason, wanted to know his opinion on current events.

“So, did you hear that the police are gonna be hiring supers?” she asked while scanning Corey’s third package of ramen.

“Um, no… That’s really cool, though,” he replied because although he didn’t exactly want to be talking to her, he had to be polite.

“You should think about it. You’d be right at home as a superhero.”

“Eh, maybe… I don’t know.”

Of course not. As much as he admired superheroes, he would never be cut out for the job. In another life, maybe.

In a few minutes, he was out the door carrying two bags of food. Hopefully he would be able to get back to his apartment and the company of his computer and plants without any more curveballs.
"Hey kid." A man stood there, a trench coat, glasses, mustache, funny resemblance to Johnny Depp, and a cigar in one hand. "What's your name?" He lit the cigar as he walked casually next to him.
"It's alright kid." He said as he held out a hand. "Henry J King."

Last edited:
🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

Junk Food for a Dashing Youth - Masafumi Takada

|◁ II ▷|

Of course, because life can never be so merciful, a sketchy-looking guy called out to him. Corey’s first response was, obviously, to walk a little faster, but the guy followed him and asked for his name.

If he had known that he would have to deal with so much shit just to get groceries, he would have just stayed home and starved for a day.

“I’m… Corey,” he relented, getting ready to bolt if this guy said anything the least bit creepy.

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Of course, because life can never be so merciful, a sketchy-looking guy called out to him. Corey’s first response was, obviously, to walk a little faster, but the guy followed him and asked for his name.

If he had known that he would have to deal with so much shit just to get groceries, he would have just stayed home and starved for a day.

“I’m… Corey,” he relented, getting ready to bolt if this guy said anything the least bit creepy.
He picked up the cues and smiled. "Nice to meet you man." He said. "Sorry if I come off a bit shady, mate. You probably heard the news, and if you were interested I could get you involved with the program. I have a good connection with Chief Rexford." He took a long puff and let out a billow of smoke, waving it away in the hopes it wouldn't get in Corey's face.

"I just need to make sure you're legit and not all dressed up for a cosplay or belated halloween party." He grinned.

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Immediately, Corey was conflicted. He had just minutes ago completely dismissed the thought of joining this program, but here was a concrete opportunity right in front of him. If this guy was, in fact, legit. He hummed to himself while he thought it over.

What were the cons? Well, the possibility of death, for one. He would have to interact with people much more than he was comfortable with. The stress might throw him into a nervous breakdown. There would be much more attention focused on him than he ever wanted.

But, the pay would be much better than his library job, he would get to see heroes and villains up close and even be one, and maybe getting out more would boost his confidence and he would learn how to be more comfortable around people.

He was brought out of his thoughts when Henry mentioned his appearance. Feeling a surge of self-consciousness, he pulled his mask up a little bit, as if that would make him look more normal.

“Yeah, no, this is all real. Um, I can’t say I’m not interested, but I don’t think I’d be good at it.”

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Immediately, Corey was conflicted. He had just minutes ago completely dismissed the thought of joining this program, but here was a concrete opportunity right in front of him. If this guy was, in fact, legit. He hummed to himself while he thought it over.

What were the cons? Well, the possibility of death, for one. He would have to interact with people much more than he was comfortable with. The stress might throw him into a nervous breakdown. There would be much more attention focused on him than he ever wanted.

But, the pay would be much better than his library job, he would get to see heroes and villains up close and even be one, and maybe getting out more would boost his confidence and he would learn how to be more comfortable around people.

He was brought out of his thoughts when Henry mentioned his appearance. Feeling a surge of self-consciousness, he pulled his mask up a little bit, as if that would make him look more normal.

“Yeah, no, this is all real. Um, I can’t say I’m not interested, but I don’t think I’d be good at it.”
He smiled. "I believe you. I work as a Private Investigator and so far Rexford and I have a sort of business arrangement going on that allows me to do what needs to be done for this operation." Henry took another puff. "Don't mind Lexy, she and I go back a few years. She just has an attitude while on the job. I swear mate, watching her swap from work to home is like Jeckil and Hyde."
He pointed at a fine Mustang parked on the side of the road. "Need a ride?"

A sigh of relief.

When Magma Woman disappears, Ben checks the time, muttering, "Time's up," under his breath. He rolls down his sleeves. "You talk to them," recommends the man, referencing the police as they round the corner in red emergency and blue phosphorescence, "I gotta get back to work. Stay safe, lady."

He has a beef-crusted spatula in one hand and two sesame buns in the other before long.

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Apparently he took that as a yes. Oh well, it just gave Corey less time to panic and chicken out. He might as well see what this was about.

Henry’s description of the police chief scared him a bit. He had enough trouble dealing with the most polite of people, so the comparison to Jekyll and Hyde was worrying. Just don’t cry and you can consider it a win.

“Uh, sure, but I should probably drop these off at home first,” he gestured to the bags hanging off his shoulders.

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Apparently he took that as a yes. Oh well, it just gave Corey less time to panic and chicken out. He might as well see what this was about.

Henry’s description of the police chief scared him a bit. He had enough trouble dealing with the most polite of people, so the comparison to Jekyll and Hyde was worrying. Just don’t cry and you can consider it a win.

“Uh, sure, but I should probably drop these off at home first,” he gestured to the bags hanging off his shoulders.
"Alright then mate." He said. "Where to?"
As they proceeded to the vehicle, he hoped this wasn't a bad idea. The kid was so timid. Whatever scarred or triggered his change had to have been pretty bad to leave him seeming smaller than he really was. The vehicle was somewhat a mess. Some soda bottles, a grocery bag, and a few candy wrappers.
This was a good kid. He just needed somewhere he could fit in.

Dareia Adams
Apteryx
Somehow Not Dead on 4th Ave.
Interacting with Police & Ben

"Yeah, you too. Hopefully, you don't run into any more walking, talking campfires any time soon." Apteryx wished him the same luck in return as he began to leave, presumably back to his job. "And thank you!" She called to him, realizing she should probably thank him for stopping her from becoming a human kebab, which was a pretty nice gesture indeed. He didn't have to and yet, he did. An interesting character, that one.

"So... How's your day been? Good, hopefully? I sure hope so." She casually asked the officer, a nervous smiling hiding behind her mask but clearly being heard in her quivering voice. "Mine was pretty good. Other than a bullet wound and not getting lunch, but you know, not too bad otherwise. By the way, you look great. Like, you could punch me and I'd probably say thanks, that kind of great, you know what I mean? You know what I mean. Please don't punch me though. Or hurt me at all, for that matter." Why were police officers scarier than a lady who was literally on fire?

Dareia Adams
Apteryx
Somehow Not Dead on 4th Ave.
Interacting with Police & Ben

"Yeah, you too. Hopefully, you don't run into any more walking, talking campfires any time soon." Apteryx wished him the same luck in return as he began to leave, presumably back to his job. "And thank you!" She called to him, realizing she should probably thank him for stopping her from becoming a human kebab, which was a pretty nice gesture indeed. He didn't have to and yet, he did. An interesting character, that one.

"So... How's your day been? Good, hopefully? I sure hope so." She casually asked the officer, a nervous smiling hiding behind her mask but clearly being heard in her quivering voice. "Mine was pretty good. Other than a bullet wound and not getting lunch, but you know, not too bad otherwise. By the way, you look great. Like, you could punch me and I'd probably say thanks, that kind of great, you know what I mean? You know what I mean. Please don't punch me though. Or hurt me at all, for that matter." Why were police officers scarier than a lady who was literally on fire?

"So you took on The Hot Bitch?" Lexus asked. She stopped a few feet away from the costumed girl. "Did ya see anybody else?"

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Corey bumped his horns on the roof of the car when he tried to get in and reflexively apologized, only realizing after the sorry was out of his mouth that it was unnecessary. Blushing a pale blue and expertly avoiding any eye contact, he muttered out his address.

He took off his mask and stuffed it in his pocket; it was starting to get hot under there. Silently looking out the window, he felt painfully awkward. Business as usual, pretty much.

Dareia Adams
Apteryx
Being Interviewed on 4th Ave.
Interacting with Police

"Could say that, yeah." Apteryx nodded, answering the first question. Getting her ass beat would probably be a better description but, she wasn't about to correct Lexus in any way. In the future, she planned to not take on fire users by herself. Especially if they have guns. Because guns suck almost as much as fire users.

"Of the super-powered, costumed variety? I don't believe so. Hard to tell, but yeah. I think it was just me and her, for the most part. No one else that I know of with powers and no else was trying to destroy the store. There was that McDonalds worker that you just saw but I don't think he had powers and I know for sure he didn't want to destroy any property." She reported to the officer truthfully, for she didn't have anything to lie about.

AlienLover AlienLover
Lexus nodded. "Ok, alright, I'll go with it. How bout getting your ass on a team then? I bet ya heard the Mayor spout out all the good shit, so, what about it?"
She stood there looking down her nose at the girl. She was measuring her up. "You got the guts kid? Think you can kick some ass?"

knaifuuwaifuu knaifuuwaifuu
The drive went smoothly, Henry snubbed out the cigar before getting in the car himself. His bad habit didn't need to be someone elses problem too.
Once he arrived in the neighborhood, he needed Corey's help to find the right place.

"Alright, take your time, no rush." He said as he got out and relit his cigar. He leaned back against the car and scanned the area. Not a bright neighborhood. looked like a place someone could get robbed in while everyone watched.

He shook his head. Disgusting. His eyes trailed along, spotting a man without a shirt on and sitting on the roof of a broken down pickup. The road was poorly maintained and seemed to look like the moon's surface. Trash was lying and hanging around, and a few pairs of shoes hung off the tree branches. Yeah. it was bad.

Dareia Adams
Apteryx
Being Interviewed on 4th Ave.
Interacting with Police

“Really?!” Apteryx squealed, a little too excitedly. Her? Getting a job offer? To join a superhero team? Was this real life? Did Magma Woman actually kill her and this was in fact heaven?

“I-I mean, yes ma’am! I have plenty of guts and I do have some experience kicking ass, I believe myself to be a good candidate for a member on a team of superpowered beings.” Now she sounded overly professional. God damn it, why couldn’t she just be a normal professional superhero?

“Trust me, I can do a lot better than what I just did. Fire and stuff is like one of my only weaknesses. You will not regret this!” The girl assured the officer. She didn’t usually get shot and need saving from a McDonald’s employee, and she wanted to make sure the other woman knew this.

AlienLover AlienLover
She narrowed her eyes then chuckled a bit. "Right. Kay, bitch, we're heading to the LPD. But first lets ditch that fucked up outfit. It really doesn't work for ya."
She turned on the spot and stormed back to her vehicle. "I hope you haven't eaten because I got more than enough of Sicily's Pizza in my office to last a day."

Dareia Adams
Apteryx

Trying Not to Cry Tears of Joy on 4th Ave.
Interacting with Officer Lexus

“R-Right away!” Apteryx almost immediately ripped off the ski mask, happy to rid herself of it. Did this mean she was getting a new costume? That would be so cool!! She didn’t even care she revealed her identity technically, she was so excited about this opportunity.

Dareia was practically skipping to the vehicle, she was so happy. “Yeah, getting shot and coming face-to-face with death on your lunch break definitely makes you hungry. Especially for pizza.” Should she be casual? Or professional? Or a mixture of both? She had no idea on the protocol she had to follow.

🅲🅷🅸🅰🆁🅾🆂🅲🆄🆁🅾
Corey Bennett

|◁ II ▷|

Wearing: | X | X |​

Corey stayed quiet until the car reached his neighborhood. The apartment building was sketchy as hell, full of the kind of people that made Corey constantly anxious. It held an atmosphere that makes you feel like you could get stabbed at any moment, but it was home. Or, at least, it was where his stuff was. His plants, his books, the important stuff.

He hustled into the building and up to his apartment, not wanting to keep Henry waiting for too long. He felt his anxiety lift slightly when he entered, but there was still an uncomfortable turning in his gut at the idea that he had to go out again. Resisting the urge to just retreat back to bed, he emptied his groceries into the fridge and cupboards and went back outside before he could lose his nerve.

AlienLover AlienLover
As they arrived at the LPD, there was a line up of people. Some looked strange, others normal. The Mayor just had to make a public announcement. Lexus spoke through the megaphone. "We got fuckin benches ya load of jackasses!" She said. "Sit your asses down or we're gonna have you restrained for loitering on police property."
She parked the vehicle and got out. After opening the passenger door, she spoke to the girl. "My office should be easy to spot. Just tell them I sent you, and if they don't let you in, say I'll come down there and give em a kick in the ass so hard, it'll feel like I raped em. Try to use exact words or they won't believe ya. Now scram."
She approached the group. "What is this? Fucking Christmas at the LPD? I said sit yo asses down!"

knaifuuwaifuu knaifuuwaifuu
"Hey mate." Henry said. "You're going to be fine, ok? I'll make sure of it." He opened the passenger door for Corey before getting in himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back