Llama's Chargen

Ryoh Hirai

The Surrogate
INITIAL CONCEPT

Name: Joshua Lamley

Artist Rendition:

View attachment 154317

Personality: 

Josh is a pretty calm and collected person, always analyzing his surroundings on both a social and physical level, all while wearing the persona of the affable and easygoing guy. He never wants to play hero though, and all in all he's a pretty selfish and egotistical person who generally doesn't get attached to anybody.

Backstory:

Nothing much, born and raised in Chicago by a single father who was always busy at work, Josh didn't really care that much for friends or grades in school, but considered both to be useful tools in his life since he was around thirteen. He triggered when he was 14, and soon after ran away from home with the excuse of looking for his mother, whom he happened to know to be living in the Carpenter Hills Area.

Last edited by a moderator:
"
[SIZE=100%]You've been waiting for this day for months. This is a HUGE sale at your FAVORITE store and you've been in line all night just for the chance to get inside. You've saved up any money you've come across since practically April. You're ready. It's 8AM, and the doors are opening. You'd think that everyone would file in nicely, based on spot in line, but instead it becomes a deadly whirl of bodies. You're caught up in it, trapped in the stampede. You try to move through the crowd, but a misstep causes you to trip. You trigger as you realize what happened, knowing that you'll be trampled by the incoming surge of people.[/SIZE] "

Alright @Grey@Blackadder@Jaye, how do you think this kind of trigger would manifest in Joshua here? What powers do you think they'd get?

Personally, I think it'd be a kind of Shaker/Breaker of some sort.

Well, there's also Brute for surviving the trampling and shoving people out of your way. The madness of super sale shoppers.

Maybe Thinker/Breaker or Thinker/Shaker? Sense incoming harm and protect oneself - maybe faster than conscious thought. 

((So FYI I'm writing up a thing it's just kinda long because I'm explaining powers :P ))

Hm, so... applicable PRT classifications:
Brute (the physical danger), Mover (needing to be elsewhere), Shaker (the nearby is the danger +mental trigger), Breaker (...seems appropriate?) and probably a secondary Thinker classification. (Also for the record, classifications are useful, but we do need actual powers too :P )

For character analysis: So Josh is easygoing but selfish, and 'puts on' a face. He's either getting something flashy and giving (to contrast his personality; conflict) or he's getting something that inflates that easygoing but selfish attitude (similar to Imp's "everyone always ignores me" issue).

Ideally, there should be something about the "he doesn't care much for friends" that screws him over. I'm unsure if he's power is geared towards making people like him or if it's geared towards making people recipricate the attitude... Oh damn I had a beautiful idea.

Okay, spit-balling time.

Repulsion field. Josh now emanates a field of energy that physically enforces his 'personal space. The bubble is about 30cm in radius and emanates from his torso (as 30cm should be about half his arm length, this means that he can still reach a hand outside of the bubble to hold or grab things - a minor Striker power/side-effect / Manton Limit comes into play; anything Josh grabs that isn't alive won't be repulsed when he retracts his arm aka. he can grab and eat a sandwich or grab a train ticket. This side-effect/Manton Limit is related to why Josh doesn't repel the ground he's walking on.).

Now I like the idea of the repulsion field always being on, probably with the option of expanding it beyond 30cm (to a maximum - one or two metres, or...?) and maybe with the option of putting another 'field' over certain body parts (ie. adding a repulsion field that's centred on one's hand - it would help Josh's punches pack a... uh, a punch.)

The PRT would primarily class this as a Breaker power, with minor Brute (especially if the "can put another field over other limbs" comes into play) and maybe a minor Striker (though not really? The Striker ability is kinda imbuing an immunity).

(This was the one that I deemed a "beautiful idea" above :P  I like it because it has that physical element without actually being a proper Brute power - keeping in-line with it not being the trampling that caused the trigger but the thought of the trampling. Also, this hits the irony note for "doesn't care much for friends". You don't care for them, Josh? Well have fun being touch deprived. Touch deprivation is... surprisingly terrible.)

Phasing. "You fall, certain you're going to be crushed. After a strange vision that slips from your mind, you realise you're still in the crowd, falling, about to be trampled. You fall to the ground and... nothing happens? After what feels like ages but must've only been a short time, people start to stop, asking if you're okay. Confused, you reply that you're fine. You don't feel hurt at all. Someone offers you a hand up and you go to take it - only for your hand to pass right through."

Basically the opposite of the above (though I thought of this one first). Standard "become intangible" power, similar to Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat of the Xmen. Though not as OP as her mutation :P  Uh, how much explaining does this need? I suppose it's important to point out that this would be a personal power - no tag alongs. Basically the area that Josh occupies (plus a few centimetres radius, so as to include clothes) phases out of reality. Think Oni Lee levels of 'personal effect'? (Ie. he could only teleport himself and things directly attached to him - but he also took the bugs with him?)

There are some choices of variation I thought of:

1. Manton Limit - only phases through living things (emphasising that it was people he was trying to avoid). This would include clothing on people, but would create grey area in regards to Tinker powersuits. I like this, despite the grey area. Also, this Manton Limit would help explain how he doesn't phase through the ground.
  2. He might be able to choose just how much phases with him? Ie. his default is phasing himself and basically everything directly on him (ie. clothes, bugs, etc) but if he makes a conscious effort, he can choose to phase without his clothes (makes changing clothes so much easier) or he could choose to phase without bugs or whatever stuck to him. Of course he'd have to know that the bugs/whatever where on him so as to make that conscious exclusion.

I'm guessing the PRT would class this as Breaker, maybe a minor Mover (as Josh could run straight through a crowd, thus navigating it faster). I thought there was going to be a minor Thinker element but apparently I forgot what that element was.

I like this one, though it sounds like better luck than the Repulsion Field to me.

I also like the idea of a Thinker Danger Sense. Some sort of Mover Personal Teleportation is also a good idea. Shaker sounds like a good idea initially, but given Josh's selfish, standoffish nature, I suspect his powers wouldn't manifest in such a way. (Vista was a Shaker, but she was quite caring and concentrated on others aka her focus was outwards and thus her power manifested outwards. Josh is focused inwards thus...)

Those are my proposals.

I don't know if you guys want to add any other powers but I kinda made a character sheet.

Name: Joshua Lamley
Cape Alias: Repel

Origin: The Accident
The accident changed me by giving me a phobia of crowds.
I could still change by losing control of my powers.
An enemy I made because of the accident is [???]

Drive: Start Anew

Starting Extra Bonds: 5

[Probably going to put these in my teammates]

Power Profile:
Advantages: none
Simple: Stop a small caliber bullet with my forcefield.
Simple: Slide around quickly using my repulsion.
Difficult: Break a concrete wall with a forceield enhanced blow.
Difficult: Shape my forcefield into an edged weapon.
Borderline: Make the field vibrate so fast it penetrates and scrambles most matter.
Possible: Expand my field beyond a 2m radius.
Impossible: Completely Turn off the field.

I like it. I'm a bit iffy about the Borderline though.

I'd almost say that your personal space/bubble is malleable. Like, you have a limited amount of bubble around you. You extend in one direction, the bubble gets smaller. You can compress it to get better/stronger results.

Thoughts?

Also, my original idea was that Joshua would get something similar to phasing in that he could swim through non-living matter, and pull things in. But the Repel thing sounds pretty neat.

Suggeestions for aborderline use of the power? Maybe something about explosively expanding and contracting the field? 

I see you choosing parts of your power, @Lamladaz.

For the Repulsion Field, I reckon roll a d4 and get the boons prescribed. Roll a 1, get the expanding field. Roll a 3 get both variations. Roll a 4 have horrible luck. In true Worm style «evil»

1. Can expand Field to a 2m radius

2. Can centre an additional Repulsion Field on any given limb (ie. a hand, foot, shin, shoulder). Additional Field functions the same as the primary one, except can be turned off.

3. Both.

4. Neither.

Also no... totally have the Manton Effect. Someone come tie-break this - I totally think the Repulsion Field should be Manton Limited to only pushing living things away. Pushing everything is cool, but it doesn't seem in-line with Worm's usual restrictions? It's not like the Manton Limit makes it unuseable or anything. It certain makes fist-fights far easier. Also, I have this image of Josh basically running into people and knocking them over like pins.

Also I'm with @Silvertongued - I'm not a fan of the Borderline. Nor of the second Difficulty (turning it to a sharp edge) actually. The amended borderline sounds good but Manton Limit yo~~

Phasing could still work - I like the idea of effecting living stuff but non-living works. Were you thinking basically solid materials become liquid (or water-like) consistency? So Josh can drop into solids, move through them and pull people into it? I guess that's a Striker to make people phase while he's touching them?

Nah, I don't see the Manton Effect working like that with regards to a Repel field. I mean, the character Browbeat has a somewhat similar power, in that he has point blank telekinesis that has him classified as a Brute, but it affects everything, not just living or non-living.

Ack! «clutches chest» Well assuming Lamladaz's vote counts for their own character, I've been out-voted. That reasoning seems fair enough. I stand by rolling for the variations, though.

Are you happy to stick Joshua with the Repulsion Field or shall we mock-up an Inorganic-Matter Phasing power?

(Toy?)

That would make...

Repulsion Field. Joshua emanates a constantly repelling field around him. The field repels everything outside of the radius. It has a radius of 30cm around his body, but his limbs/arms can stretch out beyond the field so as to grab items (ie. so he can eat). He also has the ability to make at least one additional field centred on a limb (ie. a hand, a leg, etc) which makes his punches and kicks have a heavier impact and pushes the target further.

PRT Notes: Repel is a Breaker 5, Mover 3, Brute 3.

Gimme until after my show and I could try whip up an inorganic phasing power but honestly the Repulsion Field seems to be figured out so maybe we should just stick to that. Dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back