Llama's Chargen

Density Phasing: the ability to phase into inorganic materials, moving through them as if you had a higher density than they do.

Ease of phasing depends on original density of material. Josh appears to be a set amount 'more dense' than the materials he's phasing through, so materials that naturally have a higher density are still harder to move through. He has the ability to temporarily extend his power to something he touches, allowing him to drag things into solid materials or to bring things with him while phasing.

Variations:

• Phasing through liquids or only solids? Can Josh only phase through materials that are considered solids or can he phase through liquids as well? I would propose that if he can phase through liquids, they should, in general, be the easiest thing to phase through. If solids are like water to him then water should be like gas.
  • Tag-a-long Phasing only effecting (whole) living things? If the tag-a-long effect only effected living targets. He still couldn't phase just someone's hand - it would have to be all their organic self. But he could still leave them behind.

Also I would propose that the tag-a-long phasing has a time-limit (ala. Clockblocker) but can be reset upon Josh touching the target. (Ie. continuously holding the targets hand would keep them phased. Tapping the target's hand so that they drop into the ground and then leaving would cause them to eventually 're-solidify' in the ground.)

PRT classes this as a Striker/Breaker 3, Stranger 2, Mover 1 numbers I lifted straight from Shadow Stalker's wiki page.

And that would be my initial design for a "phasing through inorganic materials" power.

((But I prefer the Repulsion Field :P  ))

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, I prefer Repulsion field.

I stand by, I'm not entirely happy with it being an always on sphere emitting from Joshua's chest, with the ability to make another sphere somewhere else on his body.

I do like the always on thing, but I stand by, having it be a limited resource around him... Like a balloon. It clings to his shape, and is tougher in the areas it is more densely packed. However, the denser you pack it in one area, the weaker the areas you draw from will be. Same thing the further he extends it. The farther he attempts to extend the field fom him, the more "field" he uses up around him.

For example, Joshua is getting shot at. He draws his "field" around his front, making it strong enough to block bullets. Unfortunately, that leaves his back dangerously exposed because he's drawn the majority of the field in front of him.

Or, for another example, he lays down the smack on some jive ass punk, focusing a good deal of "field" into his punching hand. Strong enough to impact concrete, but again, leaves the rest of him somewhat exposed.

Again, he can expand it pretty well. A group of allies huddle in close to him, and he expands the field to encompass them. 'Course, now it's not strong enough to block bullets, but he instead uses it to repel their path away fom him and his team.

And to clarify for that Borderline thing, he can expand it forcefully around him, giving it a bit more oomph that he doesn't have, but it's stressful and tiring. He screws it up, he gets a backfire which is like a phantom limb pain of torn muscles in his field.

Thoughts?

Aye, I prefer Repulsion field.

I stand by, I'm not entirely happy with it being an always on sphere emitting from Joshua's chest, with the ability to make another sphere somewhere else on his body. [...]

(Not quite a sphere, but I get the point :P  )

I started talking about extra repulsion fields because Lamladaz rolled for it - rolled between "expanding field", "extra field", "both" or "neither". And Lam rolled up "extra field". I liked the randomisation of it.

I like the idea of the repulsion field being a malleable material, but I have two concerns -

1. Does that invalidate the touch-deprivation thing? If he can just compress most/all of the field into, like, the middle of his back could he then hug people? The touch-deprivation is a piece of irony that seems very suitable for the setting.
  2. As it stands, it's kinda nebulous? If it's a malleable material it would be nice if it was quantifiable. Like, how much and at what rate (approximately) does the default field repulse? Then we can just times or divide that quantity depending on where it's drawn.

Also, just for clarification, I assume that Josh could do something like bundle the field around his fist and throw a Brute-rated punch, yeah?

We could make it so the field is never fully off even when compressed on a specific location, so Josh would always feel things as he would if he was wearing heaby clothing or gloves, that would still be pretty screwed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your questions Jaye,

1. Oh yeah, it constantly covers his entire body, screwing with his sense of touch. He can't fully remove it from covering his skin, though he can turn it down to "negligable" amounts. But it screws with his sense of touch, and makes intimate contact such as hugs that much more uncomfortable or difficult. Makes him feel... almost slippy. Slick. Even when he's got clothes on.
  2. In terms of amount... the base level around his skin extends for about... three inches. Enough to force a bullet away, but not stop it. So hits to limbs will miss, but hits to the centre of the body might still skirt through his ribs. Ouch. He can draw an inch off the rest of him for a Brute punch, or two inches for a hell of an attack, or Brute fists. Skimming three inches off of him leaves everything bare with that negligable field, but the area it's focused on is pretty powerful.

Simply put, skim inches off somewhere else, either extend the field by that much, or compress it for a more powerful effect. That work?

@Silvertongued Three inch radius from all surfaces of his body combined with negligible/minimum amount of repulsion sounds great :3 I'm down for pretty much confirming this.

Belated realisation - since there's no 'living things only' Manton Limit is he just levitating all the time? Since in a default state he's repelling the ground three inches away from his foot? I assume if he wants to stand on the ground, he would have to constantly pull the field away from the soles of his feet? (He'd have to pull the field away whenever he tries to change clothes, too?) Even then, he'd still walk weird/differently from most people because of the negligible amount of repulsion.

I'd not have it do stuff like that. The Manton Effect generally stops shits like that. Like Lung using up all the oxygen around him while on fire, or individuals who phase not tumbling endlessly through the ground.

I'd not have it do stuff like that. The Manton Effect generally stops shits like that. Like Lung using up all the oxygen around him while on fire, or individuals who phase not tumbling endlessly through the ground.

Or like Sundancer not burning herself - except she has a specific effect for that - the sun doesn't appear in the area she occupies. Lung doesn't burn the oxygen next to him (I kinda assume he burns oxygen from a universe nextdoor).

We hadn't put anything in place for Josh's powers. The organic-only-repulsion stopped that, but now it pushes inorganic stuff, too so it would push the ground away.

I actually almost didn't point it out because floating three inches off the ground actually shouldn't be too noticeable? And if he really needs to shrink, he should be able to pull the field away from the soles of his feet. Mostly, ever since his trigger, he'd be walking noticeably differently. Like one of his original powers in his powerset said - can use the field to slide around. Even the minimum field would make his walking unusually smooth/slick.

I'm not sure about the clothes problem, except for pulling the field away.

(Sorry I know I brought it up but maybe it's not a big deal that it's like that).

I'm down with the basic concept. I still think we're just ignoring issues, though :/  

-shrugs- Even in canon, they explicitly point out when things don't make perfect physical sense. Like lasers moving at right angles, and Endbringers being so dense that their insides could have the entire universe dropped on them and survive the hit.

But it's fine to think we're skirting issues. We might be. I just kinda want to get everything done and ready so we can finalise concepts and characters.

So here's a tentative character sheet:

[NAME] Joshua Lamley
[CAPE ALIAS] Repel
[ORIGIN] The Accident
[DRIVE] Start Anew

[STARTING BONDS] 4+5 extra
3 Jaye 
2 Grey
2 Blackadder
2 PixelWitch

[POWER PROFILE] Repulsion Field
-Simple- Jump 10m.
-Simple- Slide Around Quickly.
-Difficult- Block a bullet.
-Difficult- Punch through a concrete wall.
-Borderline- Explosively expand my field.
-Possible- Enhance my movements further.
-Impossible- Turn the field completely off.

[STATS]
Smash +2
Maneuver +1
Protect+1
Influence +0
Investigate -1

[CONDITIONS]
Minor -
Moderate -
Critical -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back