Letting go? Or not...?

Phadia

Tomato Goddess
So I've become addicted to a certain character and backstory. I've done two RPs (with two different users) about the same character. I've thoroughly enjoyed each one... but now I'm starting to think it's time to move on I guess? I don't want to be one of those people that obsesses over one thing and won't try anything else... but I'm attached to my story. Ugh.

Does anyone else face the same dilemma? Should I just keep writing what I want? Or will it become annoying?

On a side note, has anyone ever done the SAME 1x1 but with two different people?

Phadia said:
So I've become addicted to a certain character and backstory. I've done two RPs (with two different users) about the same character. I've thoroughly enjoyed each one... but now I'm starting to think it's time to move on I guess? I don't want to be one of those people that obsesses over one thing and won't try anything else... but I'm attached to my story. Ugh.
Does anyone else face the same dilemma? Should I just keep writing what I want? Or will it become annoying?
I tend to play a lot of the same characters, even though I have others to choose from. I play them because I like them the best, but the ones I usually play do cycle through a lot. I wouldn't rush moving on - If you want to play them, play them. Nobody's going to hate you or probably even so much as notice.

Phadia said:
On a side note, has anyone ever done the SAME 1x1 but with two different people?
All the time. In fact, for the ones I come up with, I do it as a matter of course. Not everyone is going to be able to play often or all the way through, so it's always good to have more than one person to rely on for that reason. And eventually you might find an RP partner that sticks around, and you start doing other RPs with them, and it's just an awesome thing ( :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally really enjoy using the same character and backstory for different roleplays, especially 1x1s, because each situation is unique. I enjoy seeing the different directions people go and how the character responds in similar situations. It also allows me to find out more about the character by kind of playing out several different realities with them, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:
I play the same character multiple times quite often, but I usualy modify them in some way to be a slightly diffrent rendition. Then again I have a massive arsenal of characters soooo.

I only have like 10 characters total.

I've worked through each of them in a variety of roleplays, and for that reason, I've grown to know them inside and out. I think it makes the overall experience better, actually, because of the depth already developed.

I'm one of those people that makes a character then discards them but I've played with people that only play a single character over and over again alot of the years and it's never fazed me any.

As long as the person they're playing fits into the plot than it's fine. But like don't try to put a twenty year old in a high school setting as a student because that's kind of awkward.

But like if your go to is say : asian guy, lots of student debt, kind of lost. You can put a ton of different spins on that and have the chance to explore many different facets of this character.

So yeah I wouldn't worry so much about playing one character in everything. As long as your having fun that's all that matters.

Don't be surprised that you're doing this. I've been using the same character for three months now, within 3 different accounts on three different websites. Which the people I've RPed with and used this character with probably wouldn't know until they read this post.

..Crap.

But, on the plus side.... something. I'll just think of some new ones and NOT forget they exist. :D

xD

Well, it's actually not much of a complex problem. See, using a particular character or two is nothing bad, it allows to develop said character and find out more about him. You have to think of your characters as a seperate human being, who conflicts your own decisions and has a mind of his own, you're just a narrator, and by using the same character over and over again develops a connection with him, makes him not one dimensional, something much more. But then again, everything boils down upon the writer.

I personally have a group of characters that are kind of just floating around my mind. When I find an rp I'm interested in, sometimes I'll immediately think "Oh, either this or this character would fit this sort of setting/plot really well!"

If I do, I'll reuse them but adapt them to the setting and character sheet. For example, I have a character who was originally in a rp about possession. He was addicted to medication, kinda neurotic, and had powers that I don't even remember. After that one I found another hero rp, and reused him. Because of the setting he wouldn't have been able to sustain his addiction so that was thrown out the window. His powers changed drastically, and his personality changed from neurotic to worrying about his friends and becoming the sort of "mom friend." His looks, history, and some basic personality traits stayed the same. I'll probably use him if I join another hero-type rp, and decide between his two personalities depending on the situation, or even use a mix of the two.

I have another character who's traits stay pretty much the same over every rp, since I generally only use him for modern/realistic rps. He'll just be in different places in his personal history, slightly tweaked for the particular rp.

And so on.

There are a few I like and use a lot more than others, though. My favorites are whatever just ended up being the most fun to play!

Like others have said, it's a good chance to explore your character, how they react in different situations that might have not come up if you just used them in one rp, and get a good grasp on their personality. While you certainly can improve while using a totally new character idea for every rp you're in, I think re-using a character improves them a lot.

However, if I want to join a new rp or make my own and none of my pre-existing character concepts fit I'll just make a new one!

Maybe they'll end up being one I like a lot and they'll stay at the forefront of my mind when reading interest checks, or maybe they won't be.

Lots of people re-use characters too, in this way or another. So honestly, if you don't want to, I see no reason in permanently letting a character go. Even if they're old and outdated. For example- if you have a character that you thought of when you were 11 and you had fun rping them when you were younger, but now you look back after improving and think they're bad quality now, you can always just revise them.

Hell, I've re-used characters with the same people and they didn't care.

ETC said:
I personally have a group of characters that are kind of just floating around my mind. When I find an rp I'm interested in, sometimes I'll immediately think "Oh, either this or this character would fit this sort of setting/plot really well!"
If I do, I'll reuse them but adapt them to the setting and character sheet. For example, I have a character who was originally in a rp about possession. He was addicted to medication, kinda neurotic, and had powers that I don't even remember. After that one I found another hero rp, and reused him. Because of the setting he wouldn't have been able to sustain his addiction so that was thrown out the window. His powers changed drastically, and his personality changed from neurotic to worrying about his friends and becoming the sort of "mom friend." His looks, history, and some basic personality traits stayed the same. I'll probably use him if I join another hero-type rp, and decide between his two personalities depending on the situation, or even use a mix of the two.

I have another character who's traits stay pretty much the same over every rp, since I generally only use him for modern/realistic rps. He'll just be in different places in his personal history, slightly tweaked for the particular rp.

And so on.

There are a few I like and use a lot more than others, though. My favorites are whatever just ended up being the most fun to play!

Like others have said, it's a good chance to explore your character, how they react in different situations that might have not come up if you just used them in one rp, and get a good grasp on their personality. While you certainly can improve while using a totally new character idea for every rp you're in, I think re-using a character improves them a lot.

However, if I want to join a new rp or make my own and none of my pre-existing character concepts fit I'll just make a new one!

Maybe they'll end up being one I like a lot and they'll stay at the forefront of my mind when reading interest checks, or maybe they won't be.

Lots of people re-use characters too, in this way or another. So honestly, if you don't want to, I see no reason in permanently letting a character go. Even if they're old and outdated. For example- if you have a character that you thought of when you were 11 and you had fun rping them when you were younger, but now you look back after improving and think they're bad quality now, you can always just revise them.

Hell, I've re-used characters with the same people and they didn't care.
Have you ever changed any of your reused but adapted characters' backstories based off of what they've done in other RPs? I mean, you'd have to be careful with that in making sure it makes sense but EIUHAD ignore the stupid

[QUOTE="The Departure]Have you ever changed any of your reused but adapted characters' backstories based off of what they've done in other RPs? I mean, you'd have to be careful with that in making sure it makes sense but EIUHAD ignore the stupid

[/QUOTE]
Yup, actually. My favorite OC was a teenager in the first rp I used him in, and a bit older in another, and a college student in the latest one I used him in I think. Some of the details I don't really consider "canon"/a part of his core timeline, but some I do add to the timeline I have of him in my head. So because of the rps I've used him in I not only have his childhood and teenage years down, but what he goes to college for, what his life at college is generally like, and some stuff that's happened in between.

I'm new to this, but I still wanna talk. So excuse me.

I think it's cool to reuse characters, but the way I plan to do it... I think I'll always be destroying things. I want to finish up the stories I'm involved in because I don't want them to slowly pitter out. And then I want to start new ones, because I know I can do better the next time.

I'm always aware that what I do isn't perfect and I could've done something better, so by the time I get done with an RP, I'm pretty sure I'll have a list of things I want to change for the next one.

(Who knows though, I've gotta start RPing to figure that out, don't I.)

You haven't RPed before? Ever? Or just here? XDDD

Yeah, we all have a list of thing we want to do differently by the end of an RP.

Well I've never done it on a forum. Though I've done it with friends, by text or around a table. I signed up for my first one a couple weeks ago, but it would seem it didn't go through ^^;

To be honest, that's kind of why I've joined this site. While needing new rp partners, there are a few stories I want to tell. Sure they're not really too canon or anything in their respective fandoms, but no one (not even the few very experienced rp partners I have remaining) has even gotten through one of my stories past 'mid-game' (half way through). I want to tell my stories, see how well I can write them, and how well I've written them for my partner. But I need an outside view to both help me judge what to do next and to see just how immersive my world is.

So yeah. I do it A LOT. But don't let it discourage you! Sometimes it's good to have a character stick with you.

RidingaStar said:
To be honest, that's kind of why I've joined this site. While needing new rp partners, there are a few stories I want to tell. Sure they're not really too canon or anything in their respective fandoms, but no one (not even the few very experienced rp partners I have remaining) has even gotten through one of my stories past 'mid-game' (half way through). I want to tell my stories, see how well I can write them, and how well I've written them for my partner. But I need an outside view to both help me judge what to do next and to see just how immersive my world is.
So yeah. I do it A LOT. But don't let it discourage you! Sometimes it's good to have a character stick with you.
you might want to do the quest style roleplay if your just lookimg to complete a story with outside help.

as the way those works is literally you just write a story and on ocassion post like questions to help decide how to continue that other players answer.

nerdyfangirl said:
you might want to do the quest style roleplay if your just lookimg to complete a story with outside help.
as the way those works is literally you just write a story and on ocassion post like questions to help decide how to continue that other players answer.
Not specifically outside help, though, as I could tell. Just that she wants to use other's opinions to help her quality of RPing and whatever and I'm sorry if I interpreted this wrong @RidingaStar xD

I have (Guessing) a few 100 chars i could pull from a hat.

but i use a specific one, for most rps.

I literally am attached to the char like their a brother/sister.

Not even joking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back