Experiences Let's Talk A Little Lovecraft

Darrian_Gabriel

Sicarii Assassin
Since I've decided to start an RP directly inspired by ole H.P., so I figured why not have a discussion about the man's wider body of work. I should mention I've been a HUGE Lovecraft fanboy since the age of nine and genuinely consider the dude to be a creative genius. The story that first introduced me to the author was "Rats In The Walls" and I was instantly hooked. From that point on, I just couldn't get enough of the guy's work. My two favorites would have to be "The Dunwich Horror" and "At The Mountains Of Madness". What about everybody else? Favorite stories, themes, concepts of Lovecraft that you enjoy? Favorite deity within the Cthulhu Mythos? Let's discuss the incredible world of cosmic horror!

I think Lovecraft, conceptually, has had a lasting impact on my writing, but these days I'm way more invested in his successors. For one thing, shedding the man's own baggage improves the Mythos.
I also think that for all the ideas about indifferent, incomprehensible godlike beings intruding on our reality are great, the post-Nietzchean horror of Lovecraft is basically basline normal for modern thought, so that aspect is less horrifying that it was in his day.

I'm personally a big fan of The Cats of Ulthar. Atlach-Nacha is a favourite deity, but I will always have a soft spot for Shub-Nigaroth (I've adopted that spelling from Winter Tide and I'm sticking to it).

One of my favourite modern Mythos stories is this one: A Colder War - a novelette by Charles Stross But when it comes to modernizing the concepts of Lovecraft, Peter Watts absolutely nailed it here.

I think Lovecraft, conceptually, has had a lasting impact on my writing, but these days I'm way more invested in his successors. For one thing, shedding the man's own baggage improves the Mythos.
I also think that for all the ideas about indifferent, incomprehensible godlike beings intruding on our reality are great, the post-Nietzchean horror of Lovecraft is basically basline normal for modern thought, so that aspect is less horrifying that it was in his day.

I'm personally a big fan of The Cats of Ulthar. Atlach-Nacha is a favourite deity, but I will always have a soft spot for Shub-Nigaroth (I've adopted that spelling from Winter Tide and I'm sticking to it).

One of my favourite modern Mythos stories is this one: A Colder War - a novelette by Charles Stross But when it comes to modernizing the concepts of Lovecraft, Peter Watts absolutely nailed it here.

I've also read a Colder War, a brilliant take on the mythos and a very unique one at that. What was the story that first introduced you to Lovecraft?

I think it was The Dunwich Horror, but it's been so long I'm not even sure anymore. I think of the non-Dreamland stories, that and The Colour Out of Space are my favourites.

I think it was The Dunwich Horror, but it's been so long I'm not even sure anymore. I think of the non-Dreamland stories, that and The Colour Out of Space are my favourites.

Dunwich Horror, one of the all time greats. My introduction was by way of the "Rats In The Walls". But the story that ignited my passion was "At The Mountains Of Madness". Still the biggest influence on any of my writing concerning Lovecraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back