• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Legend of Korra 1x1 (jaydude x Necroknight)

@jaydude

Li laughed at that, when Xiao mentioned about old stories. "Hehe. You have to admit, it does kinda look true and like that. But in this case, we're the heroes of the story," replied Li, as she hugged Xiao closer to him at that.

She rubbed over the girl' shoulder at that. "Hey, hey. It's going to be alright at that, we'll get through this at that," she hummed, placing her chin ontop of her head. "We just have to maintain a positive outlook and we'll be at our destination in no time."

"And it might not be best at thinking about, what might happen. You let me worry about that, you just make sure you are fed and looking pretty," giggled Li.

@NecroKnight

"I'll do my best." Xiao said with a small chuckle, before hearing the sound of approaching footsteps. Turning to look at the source of the noise, she saw Liang's steward walking towards her and Li.

"Lady Xiao, and Lady Li. Everyone's meeting in the ship's lounge to discuss our next course of action." he said. Standing up, Xiao glanced at her handmaiden, before following the man.

The ship's lounge was a spacious room with what appeared to be a large incense burner in the center. A number of  lamps hanging from the walls illuminated the room. Everyone else in the group was gathered here, sitting down on either the floor, or one of six large couches pressed up against the walls of the room. Xiao took a seat on the floor, next to her mother.

"Okay, everyone." Liang said. "As you're all very much aware, we've narrowly escaped the destruction of Ba Sing Se with our lives. And now that we're relatively safe, we need to decide on a course of action from here on in. Me and my brother have both agreed that we must return to his state of Qutong as swiftly as we can, but we are divided on how we should go about doing so, specifically whether we should travel to Danzou or Mianrao..."

There was a brief, yet heated discussion, at the end of which a vote was taken on which city the group should go to. Xiao voted to go to Mianrao.

"We have very little in the way of money or supplies. And we don't know what we'll need to do to be able to contact the airship in Danzou. We certainly won't be able to barter with anyone there. And as my handmaiden Li said earlier, there will likely be some level of anarchy in whichever city we go to. With those points in mind, and with my uncle's connections in Mianrao, I say we travel there."

The vote ended in favour of Mianrao. Huang assigned his butler and one of the maids to take the first watch, while he took up the wheel on the boat's bridge. Everyone else left to get settled in for the night. 

@jaydude

Li was settled to sleep with Xiao - namely on one part was because, if anything at all happened to them it'd be upto to Xiao to take the reins of their House and restore it to glory. And secondly, it was because, they were short on rooms too - with many of the servants having come along with them. Xiao was already accustomed to sleeping with her 'step-sister' and namely Li was the most lethal combatant they had aboard the ship - incase of pirates or other enemies, Li would be needed to protect their main asset, the first one being Xiao and then slowly moving down from there.

Except, the only one who didn't know this was Xiao - so Li for her part, hoped she didn't have to authorize such an act. Namely at the current moment, she tucking in Xiao - whom the two were sharing a bed with. It was a simple fancy cabin at that, with a wardrobe, a bed large enough for two and a few cupboards. Xiao got to see, how Li removed many of her intricate belts - several of which she likely didn't know that Li likely possessed. All of them were mostly, hidden daggers or knives at that.

"You might be wondering, if I am some hired assassin by your family?" asked Li, as she crawled into bed next to Xiao at that. The two of them, bundled up like sisters, in the modest bed. "The truth is more simple. I was the daughter, of a previous servant whom had saved your father' life. In exchange, I got made your hand-maiden - while that was great and all, with the growing world; the noble infighting got more deadly and more in-focused on subterfuge."

"So. Basically I got sent to various trainers of certain arts, whom thought me skills. Namely swordfighting and all that, being a bodyguard. But also knife-throwing, fist-fighting, chi-blocking - that sort of thing. My main job was still to be your hand-maiden, aiding you in whatever manner I could - including protecting your life. And all that training, just made me better at it, than most trained earthbenders or bodyguards."

@NecroKnight

Xiao gave a small grin as Li tucked her in. She thought that, at 16, she was old enough to get herself to bed without being fussed over, though Li was the exception to that rule. As the older woman joined her under the covers, Xiao relaxed against Li's body, enjoying the feel of their closeness to one another as she listened to her revelations.

"I never knew. Well, I was aware that you knew enough to be my bodyguard of sorts, and I knew that one of your parents had once saved my father's life, but I didn't realise it went to this extent." Xiao said, before twisting around so she could look at the older woman.

"Li, I just want you to know, whatever happens to us in the future, I am glad to have you protecting me. You mean so much to me."

@jaydude

Li smiled in reply, giving Xiao a gentle kiss on her forehead at that. Despite them not being blood-related Li still taught of Xiao as her little sister at that. They been together for many years at that, it was almost normal to act that way. "Don't worry kiddo, I promise to not let anything happen to you," she replied, nuzzling her hair.

"You got me there, and always in your heart. Little one," added Li, wrapping her arms gently around Xiao and drifting off to sleep next to her.

@NecroKnight

= Two days later =

In the early morning, Xiao slowly opened her eyes. It's been nearly two days since we left Ba Sing Se. We must be near Mianrao by now, she thought to herself, before slowly getting out of bed. She took care to try not to disturb Li, although Xiao wouldn't put it past her to immediately notice her disappearance even in her sleep. There was little need for her to get dressed, since everyone's nightwear had been left behind in the escape. Indeed, most of the people onboard ship hadn't changed their clothes for two days.

There was one small window in the cabin. Pulling open its curtains, Xiao looked through it, and sure enough, she could see the city of Mianrao, positioned on the coast of the inland sea.

Sitting down on the edge of the bed, Xiao felt no small amount of relief. The journey had not been without its negatives; while the rice had been enough to see them through the last two days, the group had been forced to carefully ration what little water they had managed to take with them, or find on the ship. This, and the other aspects of living rough, hadn't been easy for the group to deal with, since most of them had become accustomed to living and working in luxurious dwellings. Xiao's father Huang in particular had become very irritable, owing to his fears of what might happen to his state on top of everything else.

Xiao too had found it a struggle, but she had borne it as stoically as she could. But the main reason for her relief had been the thought that, once they were in Mianrao, it would be a relatively short wait before the airship took her and her family back home, after which life would become stable and normal for them once again.

Yes, thought Xiao, it's good that our journey's nearly over.

@jaydude

The only one who wasn't bothered by everything was namely Ly. Whom despite her worktable was actually accustomed to living scarcely or namely with a minimal amount of things.

Nowadays things were so much easier to come by - especially for the middle and working class. It already started showing, when the nobles among them started complaining. It was one of the reasons people like her existed. To do the things the nobles didn't wish, which was alot.

Especially since nowadays the nobility lacked the political power they possessed a hundred years ago. You were either rich or possessed connections - but lacking in the power over lower class like in the previous centuries. The real power remained with the Earth Monarch or had been, since her death.

Ly eventually pulled herself up at that - seeing Minrao in the distance. Unlike her other people onboard, she wasn't much certain about the future stability. The Earth Kingdom had become unstable in the recent years since the arrival of the 'Pig-Queen' as she was called in the countryside. Rising taxes and growing corruption didn't add well up to a stable nation. Especially with the death of her and her unpopular rule.

Now, they simply had to hope the chaos remained in the Capital and didn't spread to the countryside. Ly at that silently rose from the bed and hugged Xiao from behind, likely surprising her.

"Morning early bird. Slept well?" she asked, kissing Xiao' cheek.

@NecroKnight

"I suppose I could have slept worse, all things considered." Xiao said, grinning slightly as she felt the other woman's arms wrap around her from behind, and her lips on her cheek.

She joined the rest of the group for a rudimentary breakfast of rice -  it was the only kind of food they had left - in the ship's lounge. Everyone looked a varying degree of haggard. Once everyone had finished, Liang stood up, catching everyone's attention.

"Okay." he said. "I'm sure that by now, everyone's noticed that we've nearly reached Mianrao. I've contacted a business associate of mine using this ship's onboard radio. He'll meet us at the dock, and we'll be staying at his place until my brother-in-law's airship comes to pick us up." At the mention of they were related, Huang also stood up.

"And I offer my assurance that all of you, not just the members of my family, are free to board the airship and travel to Qutong with us. Furthermore, you are welcome to stay at my governor's residence and enjoy my hospitality for as long as you require. We are all in this together, and this dreadful ordeal is almost over."

At the conclusion of Huang's speech, there were a few quiet cheers, as well as murmurs of relief from the servants who had been unsure of their fates once Huang and his family were safe.

@jaydude

Ly smiled at Xiao, giggling next to her. "Guess it's back to being pampered for you, eh?" humored Ly.

Although by her own belief, their troubles were only just beginning. Nothing of this scale could have an easy or quick solution.

(Sorry. Been just swamped here)

@NecroKnight

Mianrao had a respectively sized harbour, although it was largely deserted and empty, aside from one or two unoccupied fishing boats. One individual that was there was a finely dressed man with a long beard, who greeted Huang profusely after the group had docked and disembarked.

"Huang! It is good to see you again, old friend! Particularly in such troubled times."

"Likewise, Song. I must thank you for agreeing to host us all on such short notice." Huang replied.

"It is no trouble at all. But let us return to my estate. There is much to discuss." Song replied, and so they headed off. As they walked through the city streets, Song informed them of the situation elsewhere in the Earth Kingdom.

"Ba Sing Se has fallen to its poor. A part of the army loyal to the Earth Queen made an attempt to retake the city, but their attack was repelled. The rest of our armed forces have splintered into numerous factions, all seeking to claim the throne for themselves by any means necessary. At the same time, certain governors are either fortifying their states against those of their neighbours, or looking to exert undue influence over them now that the queen's no longer breathing down their necks. On top of that, bandits and barbarians are taking advantage of the army's absence to increase in number and ravage the land."

He gave a prolonged sigh, before speaking further.

"It is dreadful that such a thing has happened. The Earth Kingdom survived both the Fire Nation's conquest and the collapse of the Harmony Restoration movement, and I despair at how ruined it has become as of late. I do not want to believe it, but I fear the Earth Kingdom has come to an end."

"What'll happen then?" Xiao asked.

"Who knows, little one." Song replied, bitterness evident in his tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jaydude

"So. What shall we do?" asked Ly, looking around their place. "I don't know alot of politics. But I know, at our current situation. We might be looking at anarchy, from every direction. Our neighbours might attack us. our countrymen. Heck, even the farmers might suddenly go berserk."

"So, we either stay here and hope the storm passes over us. Or we take the chance and move to safer ground," she spoke. It was true at that, they had either to hope Minrao remained intact and safe - against any raiders, bandits or rising warlords. And there was also the problem, there was no way of knowing how long such a thing might last. After Qin the Conqueror - it took the Earth Kingdom centuries to unify itself and it had been a shaky unity at that.

"I...for one. Hate to sound, like a coward here. But I wouldn't bet my safety, on the off-chance of luck. Or that, this city might not be attacked. I offer, that we or atleast the important individuals - are evacuated or moved to safer ground. Like Republic City or the Fire Nation," spoke Ly. "Otherwise, we will be stuck here hoping that no warlord or big enough army comes this way."

@NecroKnight

"And where in the United Republic or the Fire Nation could we flee to? None of us have any friends in either of those countries." Liang replied, looking at Li as the group continued to follow Song through the streets of the city.

"We have money." Diao said to her husband. "We could certainly afford to buy a home in either of those places, and live off our savings for a few years. Or perhaps we could go to Zaofu, if you don't want to leave the Earth Kingdom?"

Xiao remembered going to Zaofu when she was 13, on vacation with her mother and Li. It was a city of ingenuity, culture, prosperity and of course Metalbending. She had marvelled at the things that had become possible with Metalbending in the years since Toph Beifong had discovered it. Even now, after three years, she looked back on her memories of the Metal Clan's city with joy. And Zaofu was known as the safest city in the world. The idea of relocating there certainly appealed to her.

"I am a state governor." Liang said, bringing Xiao back to the present. "Until there's nothing more I can do for my state, I have a responsibility to guide it through these troubled times."

Of course, Xiao thought. Her father wasn't just going to abandon his position in a time of crisis.

"Well, I'll support you whatever decision you make. But that said, I agree with Li. It would not be unwise to send some of us elsewhere for the time being." Diao said, and Xiao didn't miss how both her parents and her uncle turned to look at her at that last sentence.

"Let's get back to Qutong first, then we'll decide on what we'll all do." Liang said.

As they walked through the city, Xiao took note of the people around them. Most of them appeared gripped by a sense of unease, not talking to one another, and moving quickly, as if they didn't want to spend any more time than necessary outside. After a few minutes, the group entered one of the wealthier districts of the city, and Song led them to his residence, an estate smaller and less lavish than the one they had left behind in Ba Sing Se.

@jaydude

"We can also afford, to set up a small business or work there," offered Li, to her idea of fleeing to the United Republic or the Fire Nation. "Although Zaofu is also closer to the Republic. It might be a good place to head towards then, atleast for the women and children. It's close, incase the war reaches that war - and it would still be an Earth Kingdom city or atleast...province."

"I understand, Sir," replied Li, to her employer. "But you have to understand, without a central authority - it will be a might makes right scenario. Do you belief that you have enough forces there, to protect us all and your city and your family?"

"Let those, who might burden your conscious - flee to safety," she pleaded to him. Asking her to take at the bare least Xiao to safety - since she was the likely heir to their fortune, and as her duty as handmaiden it was her responsibility to keep Xiao safe, at any cost. Plus she didn't want her adopted sister to get hurt as well. "You hired and trained me to protect Xiao. Now I am telling my piece. I don't believe, that Xiao will be safe in the Earth Kingdom."

@NecroKnight

Liang stood silent for a moment as the group entered the front hall of Song's estate, taking the time to contemplate Li's words, before he turned to look at her.

"Until I know for certain that my state will not make it through these times in some form or other, I will assume otherwise. I see the merit in what you're saying, and I too want to protect my family. I will definitely consider your suggestion, but first I need to contact my office, and find out the situation there." Liang said, before he left to look for the estate's radio room.

"The rest of you are free to enjoy this estate as you please, although I imagine it won't measure up to the places that you're used to staying in. We'll be having lunch in about two hours, at which point we can discuss things further, with more eased minds and full bellies. If you need anything in the meantime, my servants will try and accommodate you. And if you need me personally, I will be in the estate's art studio." Song said, addressing the remainder of the group as a whole, before leaving them to their own devices.

"I'm going to head over to the radio room as well. There are a few people I need to contact." Huang said, before leaving in the same direction as Liang. Everyone filed out gradually, until only Xiao, Li and Diao were left.

"You know, if there's one thing I want right now, it's a nice, warm bath." Xiao said, grinning at Li.

@jaydude

(Okay. Confused here you said Huang is Xiao's father, Liang is her uncle, and Tien is Liang's father. But several times you have swapped over to Liang being Xiao' father. And so on. Could we just use the proverbs of uncle, father and mother. Since I am getting these names mixed up)

Li sighed at that - after having heard his piece at that. Often times, she was sorry to hear about this type of attitude - not abandoning ship, until he was sure it was sinking in a nutshell. But if that were the case, then by that moment - it might be too late to abandon ship. But he nonetheless wanted to remain interacting with everything.

Li perked up at that, upon hearing Xiao needing a bath at that - it was true at that, she likely needed one as well. "Well then, Xiao. Let's go take a bath then," smiled Li, as the two headed for the private quarters at that.

@NecroKnight

(OOC: My apologies for the confusion. I imagine I'll be juggling less characters once we leave the current location, which should help reduce said confusion.)

Xiao stripped out of her clothes, let her black hair down, and gently lowered herself into the bath's warm and bubble-filled water, enjoying the feeling of warmth creeping across her body and soothing her spirit. Closing her eyes, she sunk down to her neck, her mind a state of pure bliss.

"I'm sorry if you feel my father's being stubborn." Xiao said, opening her eyes and turning to look at Li, unsure how the other woman would react to her words. "I doubt he means anything by it, other than wanting to help both his people and his family."

Last edited by a moderator:
@jaydude

"I know that, but well...having been taught, to in essence focus on only protection and safety. It's kinda hard for me ignore the signs," replied Li, as she leaned against the wall - while Xiao soaked in the waters.

"He paid me to be the best. And now he is ignoring that advice. You can't mean well, and then ignore the advice of your advisors. That is just...how to say it...neglience..." she sighed, before shaking her head. "Sorry. I don't mean to bad-mouth him, I am just saying my piece and what I feel."

Li let a minor silence linger between them, before deciding to lighten the mood. "Hey? Can I join you in the bath? I likely stink like a rabbit-skunk about now. Or is Xiao too big of a girl to bathe with her big sister?" she teased, messing up Xiao' hair.

@NecroKnight

Xiao grinned mischievously at the other woman's teasing, before letting out a small giggle at her hair being messed up. "I'm surprised you haven't joined me already. And to tell you the truth, I'm also a bit disappointed." she said without the slightest hint of rancour, before shifting forward just enough for Li to get in behind her.

@jaydude

Li quickly undressed as well, before stepping into the water behind her. And then sitting down, pulling Xiao onto her lap and wrapping her arms around the younger girl' waist. "Hehehe. Are you still ticklish?" asked Li, as she tickled Xiao' sides for a few moments.

"Mhmm. You know, despite us not being related. I still think your the best sister, I ever have had," smiled Li, hugging Xiao from behind.

@NecroKnight

Xiao laughed shamelessly as a result of Li's tickling, and leaned back against the older woman's body, her arms resting on the sides of the bath.

"I'm glad you think so highly of me." Xiao replied with a warm smile, before her expression became more pensive as she recalled the argument between Li and her father a few minutes ago.

"You can't really believe that the Earth Kingdom's going to fall apart, right?" she asked, her gaze on a mirror in a corner of the bathroom. "I mean, I know firsthand how bad it's gotten, but surely it can't last for too long? Surely the Avatar and the United Republic are going to step in and help stabilise the land, right?"

@jaydude

Li sighed at that, hugging Xiao closer to her, while resting her chin ontop of the girl' head. "True....but in those cases, we've had or have had a clear leader in mind - whom would assume the throne after the other' death. And well, the problem isn't namely about an heir...."

She hummed at that, deciding to tell Xiao the truth. "The Earth Queen wasn't...how shall I said it. Very open to sharing power, everything she did was mostly concentrated in her hands. To the point that the Secreteriat was nothing more than a clerk. While in previous times, he had aided in running the nation."

"And in those times, people weren't as organized as before. Thanks to technology, people over here can know what happened over there. And the bottom line is, the Earth Queen wasn't much liked at all. She taxed her people, without offering them anything in return. To the point that many people started to hate or dislike her form of control. Her death merely sent the bubbling conflict into civil war."

"You saw how quickly the generals turned on them and eachother. Bloodline doesn't really matter much, without the keys to power. Or namely the people who help in keeping the monarchy in rule. And right now those 'keys' are fighting amongst themselves. So...it looks to be so....that this problem, will not go away so easily...." she sighed.

@NecroKnight

"I know that the Earth Queen wasn't the best ruler. I've heard my parents going on about how much of a tyrant she was, when they thought no-one could hear them. And it's always been a struggle for my father to find a balance between appeasing her and not oppressing his people." Xiao said, looking ahead as she continued to relax against Li.

"I understand what you and Song have said about our armed forces, and why that makes the Earth Kingdom unsafe. I suppose my father's hoping that the military captain for our state hasn't gone over, or at least left some soldiers behind to defend the state. I know that the captain's supposedly a man of the people to some extent, but there's no way of knowing what he's done until my father can get through on the radio. And even if our state does have soldiers, there's only so much they'll be able to do."

@jaydude

"That is the problem, that had plagued the Earth Kingdom for some time now. You've had a monarchy, who has been known to flaunt their power - against people, whom now have gained the power to resist more, thanks to the advancements in technology," spoke Li. "I mean, thing about it. Once you have gained the strength, to resist your oppressor - would you continue to take it?"

"And yet what one might forget, is those soldiers and captains might have families of their own. Not to mention, there is a chance they might choose what is best for their family without a central leader currently in place," she spoke. "I am sorry to admit it, but having such an outdated and feudal system is crumbling and slowly collapsing. Your having normal people whom often times are smarter and more wiser than those whom rule them."

"I am sad to admit it, but such a problem was liable in the making," sighed Li, hugging Xiao still close to her body. "Furthermore, if need be. If you need anything I will follow you. I don't care if we'd be the only people left. I'd take us to some abandoned Air Temple and help us settle down there."

@NecroKnight

"I suppose we'll find out how bad it truly is soon enough." Xiao said in reply, as she leant against Li's chest. "But for now, let's not talk about such matters. All this talk about the Earth Kingdom's fall...I'm beginning to find it a bit depressing."

Slowly sitting up, she twisted around on Li's lap so that she was facing the older woman, and placed her hands on her shoulders.

"What do you say we do each other's hair, and then get ourselves dried off and dressed? I imagine others in our group will want to use the bath soon enough." She said, looking at Li with a smile.

@jaydude

(Here is a quick question. How do you want to keep their relationship? More family, sisterly or closer?)

"Yeah. It kinda makes me depressed too," admitted Li, as she soon felt Xiao shift around in her lap - before facing her. "Heheh. We haven't done that, in well ages. Sure, I can do your hair, if you do mine."

"Do you want to braid my hair and let my braid yours in return?" she added. "Meh....I think they might be too busy, dealing with their connection, than worry if they are clean enough. And besides, there are alot of other baths here besides this."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back