• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Le Cirque Arcanes [ic]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Click Stars and Scroll
  • Artist — vikisigh
    The Missing Child
    After a evening performance, a pair of frantic parents are seen yelling about the circus looking for their missing six year old. They beg you along with a few other troupe members for your assistance. She has red hair tied in a ponytail with a green bow, wearing a pink polka dot coat, and pink sneakers.

TW: Attempted kidnapping
    Cast: erzulie erzulie monkeydoll555 monkeydoll555 thehighpriestess thehighpriestess upscalerat upscalerat
    Trapped
    After being hired to look for Chau by her family, Edward Benton comes upon a lead that a girl matching the runaways appearance may be at the newly arrived Circus. While searching, he comes across a few troupe members he begins to question . How will the rest of you react to this inquisitive man attempting to get info about the missing girl?

Cast: stareintotheabyss stareintotheabyss ghostlynarcissus ghostlynarcissus comfortable comfortable CapellaStargaze CapellaStargaze

Last edited:

Lenora.

• Time/Date

September 3rd, 2024 5:15pm

Amidst the boisterous laughter and the melodic strains of circus music, Lenora made her usual rounds. Clad in a pair of plush, velvet shorts richly embroidered with golden arcane symbols, she cut a striking figure against the backdrop of the vibrant tents and bustling crowds. The shorts paired seamlessly with her sleek, ribbed turtleneck, creating a silhouette of dark elegance. A simple, wide belt cinched at her waist, the buckle reflecting the dying light of the day.

Wrapped around her neck was her constant companion, a petite black racer snake whose glossy scales gleamed like polished onyx. It lay draped over her shoulders with an air of regality, its presence as much a part of her since the day she created her troupe. The snake's tongue flickered in and out, tasting the air, its small head bobbing inquisitively at the sounds and sights of the circus.

As she walked, Lenora's knee-high boots, matching the shorts in both color and opulent design, made soft thuds against the trodden earth of the circus grounds. She garnered attention, per usual, of nearly everyone she walked past

Occasionally, a child's gasp of awe would break through the hum of activity as their eyes landed on the sinuous creature around Lenora's neck. The braver souls among them, eyes wide with both fear and fascination, would hesitantly extend a hand, their silent pleas to touch the snake clear in their longing stares. Lenora, with a small, knowing smile, would lean down to allow the briefest of encounters, the snake's cool skin a harmless thrill for the daring young ones. Others, less courageous, would emit soft whimpers, instinctively seeking the safety of their parents' embrace at the sight of the serpent.

As the final rays of the sun kissed the earth goodbye, a subtle yet unmistakable sensation shivered through Lenora's frame. It was like the softest tickle of a feather against her skin, an intuitive nudge that caused her to halt mid-stride.

Someone new was here. Not just another wither soul come to stuff their faces with kettle corn and fried food.

Lenora knew all too well that this feeling was seldom misguided. Her troupe, while a collection of characters each with their own quirks , were not strangers to mischief. But this was different—a ripple of unease flowed through her.

She attributed this sixth sense to her maternal connection to the circus family. Over the decades, she had come to regard them not just as performers under her charge but as her "children," each one adopted into her heart. Their wellbeing was paramount, their joys and sorrows deeply intertwined with her own. Even when they no longer treated her with the same amount of devotion.

Trusting the silent pull of her intuition, Lenora let her steps guide her towards the ticket booth and entrance of the Cirque. Performers and patrons alike parted to create a path for her

As she approached the threshold of the circus, her gaze landed on an a man talking heatedly to her ticket handler, a mortal woman whose name she barely remembered, with a face that hardly stood out.

"We're all sold out, there's nothing else I can do sir." The woman squeaked out meekly, fiddling with a strand of long hair.

Edward sighed, pulling his phone out of his coat pocket. He quickly scrolled past a few pictures to find the one of Chau, holding it up towards the hardly helpful young woman in front of him.

"Fine, can you at least tell me if you've seen this girl? She's been missing, and I've got reports saying she's been spotted here."

With the practiced ease of a performer, Lenora closed the distance, her concern as convincing as any act under the big top. Her voice, rich with sympathy and authority, cut through the tension. "A missing person? My goodness, these are awful times," she echoed the sentiment with a sincerity that was as much for the ticket handler's benefit as it was for curious man.

"I'm Lenora, I own the Cirque Arcanes," she stated, her voice carrying the subtlest hint of a challenge beneath the facade of hospitality. It was an invitation, but also a subtle assertion of control. He'd learn that rather quickly.

"Won't you come in?" she offered, gesturing inside. Her smile lit up her face, and she was quite grateful the ones he knew her were not present. Not a single bit of kindness was true behind the veneer of her stretched lips. She was a spider, speaking sweetly to a fly about to land itself inside of her web.

Welcome to the Circus.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Edward.

• mood

Gut feeling is going off

Edward moved quickly through the nearly filled parking lot. His current outfit was functional, a deliberate choice to blend into the crowd without drawing attention. He wore a pair of crisp, dark jeans paired with a button-up shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows to combat the day's warmth. Over the shirt, a lightweight blazer gave him a touch of professionalism minus the small orange stain from chili eaten long past that he could never get rid of.

Perched precariously on the bridge of his nose were a pair of black glasses. They framed his eyes, ones that were currently focused on the screen of his smartphone, flicking through an ever-growing gallery of images and texts sent by anxious parents. His fingers swiped with a practiced motion, navigating between photographs of the missing girl, Chau, and the stream of messages asking him for updates.

He was so into the digital correspondence that flooded his phone, Edward remained oblivious to just how busy the parking lot had become. It was only when he nearly collided with someone, a sharp "Hey!" cutting through his focus, that he snapped back to his surroundings. He lifted his gaze just in time to sidestep a hurried passerby, offering a quick, apologetic nod.

"Sorry about that," he muttered, his voice barely audible above the chaos of the lot. With a final glance at his phone, he slipped it into his coat pocket, the fabric stretching slightly around the device. He made a mental note to remain more present, and resumed his walk to the Arcana Circus.

His first steps towards the giant lot were unexpected. The air buzzed with an electric current of anticipation, a collective excitement that was infectious. Families clustered together, their faces painted with smiles and laughter ringing from their lips as they shuffled eagerly toward the entrance. Children clung to the hands of their guardians, their eyes wide with the kind of pure joy that only the promise of new things could give.

The circus itself was a far cry from the garish, over-the-top spectacles often associated with such places. The performers milling about the crowds were in full costume, yet there was nothing garish or unsettling about them. Their makeup and attire were tasteful and intriguing, inviting curiosity rather than the discomfort Edward remembered feeling at the sight of the clowns in Vegas. He shuddered at the drunken memories, before shaking his head and carrying on. The line took much longer than he would have liked, noting the sun beginning to set behind him and he noticed a few people ahead of him letting out sounds of annoyance before storming off.

Cautiously he headed towards the front, where a young woman no older than college age, seemed rather put out.

"One ticket please, " he requested politely, adjusting his falling glasses.

The woman sighed nervously. "I'm so sorry, I've just sold our last one for the night."

"Shit, " he cursed, rubbing his temples. "I'd pay more, for a VIP ticket or something if general is all out."

"We're all sold out, there's nothing else I can do sir." The woman squeaked out meekly, fiddling with a strand of long hair.

Edward sighed, pulling his phone out of his coat pocket. He quickly scrolled past a few pictures to find the one of Chau, holding it up towards the hardly helpful young woman in front of him.

"Fine, can you at least tell me if you've seen this girl? She's been missing, and I've got reports saying she's been spotted here."

Before he could get another word out, an woman approached them.

Now to be perfectly fair, Edward had seen his fair share of beautiful women. Whether it was clients or the ones he was hired to check into. This woman was in a category entirely her own. Her beauty was not the kind that blended into the crowds; it was distinct and unique, not just her physical appearance but even the way she approached.

Her voice, rich with sympathy and authority, cut through the tension. "A missing person? My goodness, these are awful times."

Edward blinked and did his best to reboot his brain to refocus. There was a missing person. Eighteen year old. Get it together, man.

"I'm Lenora, I own the Cirque Arcanes," she stated, her voice carrying the subtlest hint of a challenge beneath the facade of hospitality.

He didn't quite catch on, and soon after she offered him an invitation.

"I'd appreciate that." He answered quickly, but some sort of gut feeling inside him made his skin prickle. He wondered why, doing his best to internally shake it off . He glanced at the ticket booth girl, wondering as well if the way her eyes had grown large and frightened before he took a step forward, entering pass the Circus gates. The rumbling feeling of unease only grew as he began to look around at more of the troupe inside, some eyes filled with what looked like concern and others. Well, he couldn't really be sure.

But it wasn't anything good.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Yarrow.

• mood

just wants to go to sleep

As usual, Yarrow was far too invested in having gotten through another successful act to notice anything was amiss in the circus at the moment. As he made his way out of the back of the tent, his main priorities at the present moment were just getting back to his tent, getting this damned mask off, having a drink, and going straight the fuck to bed. His sore hand was aching in his glove, but that was probably because of the thin, pale string that was tied just a smidge too tight around his wrists to avoid them from coming off (like that one time he refused to talk about).

What he hadn't expected, however, was for him to notice in his already exhausted haze, someone shouting. It wasn't exactly odd to hear that sort of thing, considering the venue. Children running around screaming and parents yelling at their children to please slow down so as not to hit people and trip themselves up was probably the most common thing he heard while wandering the grounds, but these cries felt... different. They felt less annoyed and more... pleading. Full of fear, of desperation, and more importantly, full of failure. His eyes shifted around, following the sound of these desperate cries to their source as his blood started to run cold as ice water in his veins.

His eyes were quick to catch upon what looked to be a borderline terrified couple, still shouting and looking about for something. He swallowed, inching ever closer and hearing more and more of the conversation as he did.
"She has to be here, we can't have lost her, why did you let go of her hand, Tom!?"
"I didn't, I swear I didn't, she just wanted to see the clowns! Oh, for the love of God, Molly, she can't have gone far!"
A missing child? This piqued his interest, his stomach starting to knot up as he thought of what might have happened to the poor dear. He sighed, finally making his way close enough to be heard, but not startle the couple. "Ah, excuse me, I'm terribly sorry to pry, but, I can tell something's got you out of sorts. Is there anything I can do to help?" he asked, giving them a sensitive, wary smile.

waltz no 2

dmitri s

♡coded by uxie♡

Callum.

• mood

annoyed

Callum has long become accustomed to the constant noise of the circus. Silence is a rarity, with the ever-present sounds of laughter, tears, or the trumpeting of the elephants echoing at all hours. His immortality has exposed him to a wide array of human follies and frailties, so when the commotion stirred by distressed parents reaches his ears, he observes from a distance, feeling no immediate compulsion to intervene.

In his hand, he holds a lit cigarette, the ember at its tip glowing a fierce orange with each inhale. He draws the smoke deeply into his lungs, a brief indulgence in the nicotine that offers a minor reprieve in his otherwise dreary existence.

As the smoke lazily drifts from between his lips on the exhale, disappearing into the evening air, Yarrow, one of the troupe's more empathetic members, approaches the distraught parents. "Ah, excuse me, I'm terribly sorry to pry, but, I can tell something's got you out of sorts. Is there anything I can do to help?" Yarrow inquires with genuine concern.

Callum takes another drag, glancing over to see whom the voice belongs to. Predictably, it's Yarrow extending his help. Callum finishes his cigarette with a final inhale before dropping it to the ground, crushing it under the heel of his black leather boot with deliberate force.

He approaches the scene slowly, his hands flexing within the confines of his black gloves—a necessary precaution for the safety of all living beings around him. The leather of the gloves creaks softly, hinting at the lethal power they conceal. His tall, lean figure advances, altering the atmosphere as he draws near.

Callum's presence next to Yarrow and the parents carries an undeniable aura of intimidation. Even those who have never seen his power can feel something off about it. That there's an inherent warning in his demeanor, suggesting he's not one to be taken lightly.

"You lost your kid, in a circus?" Callum accuses, an eyebrow raised in disbelief. "Where a bunch of people come to watch weird shite happen?" A derisive snort punctuates his question, filled with disdain. "Not a lot of smarts in you, I take it."

His words are intentionally harsh, reflecting his intolerance for what he perceives as parental incompetence. Callum towers over the father, using his height to emphasize his disapproval.

Despite his brusque manner, Callum isn't devoid of concern. He understands that with each passing moment, finding the missing child becomes increasingly improbable.

"Go on then, what does it look like? Clock is ticking," he says, indicating that despite his harsh critique, he's prepared to aid in the search.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Lovelie.

Lovelie was not due to the stage until night finally fell. When the stars adorned the sky, leaving the sun to rest beyond the horizon, was when her flames were to be truly appreciated in all of their glory. Until then she sauntered around the circus grounds in search of something to gain her attention. “Mommy! Look at the clown lady!” She heard a child utter, unbothered by his mother who scolded him for pointing and staring. Lovelie could only chuckle, waving at the tiny being.

It was true that to some, she did appear clownish. It was no secret that she adored vibrant colors. Her current outfit was not different. Adorned in purple clothing and matching makeup, she was truly a sight to behold. The hair that she wore only completed the look. It was expected, the stares of others that is. Lovelie knew that she stood out amongst a crowd, save for the members of her trope that is.

The sound of panicked voices soon drew her attention, causing her to head in that direction. Lovelie weaved her way through the crowd with ease, dodging eager children and tired parents. “What’s all this commotion?” She spoke once she was close enough to the scene. Her accent thick as she tilted her head curiously. Words of a missing child reached her ears, causing her to frown. It was so easy to lose such a tiny being to the crowd. She had seen it so many times over the years.

Lovelie paid no mind to her fellow trope members for the time being. Instead she listened to the description of the lost child. Callum’s words only made her visibly roll her eyes. “Another set of eyes will help find them faster. Tell me, does she have a favorite act or game?”

Faerie Soirée

Melanie Martinez

♡coded by uxie♡

Charlotte.

• mood

worried

Charlotte's first thought as she makes her way into the tent is, more people need to learn to use deodorant.

Serena, renowned among the Arcana Circus troupe and its patrons for her remarkable mediumship, draws an unusually large crowd this evening. The attendees press against each other, each person seeking their own space within the cramped quarters of the tent. Amidst this throng, Charlotte secures a quiet corner for herself. As away from the smell and touch of everyone she can be.

Her choice of clothes—a pair of softly clinging faded denim jeans and a Fleetwood Mac tour shirt (after begging Lenora for weeks to see them so long ago)—makes her more similar to a ticket holder than a troupe member. Her hair, typically free-flowing, is neatly pulled back into a ponytail for convenience.

Even dressed so casually, Charlotte exudes a tranquil aura that subtly counters the eager energy of the surrounding crowd. Her deep blue eyes sweep across the scene with a peaceful gaze.

As the space within the tent becomes increasingly congested, the collective breath of the audience thickens with anticipation. Soft murmurs and sporadic laughter punctuate the shuffling and adjusting of the crowd.

Charlotte's attention shifts to Serena as the medium gracefully assumes her position on the small, central stage. Adorned in her customary veiled attire, Serena is everything someone could imagine a medium to be.. Despite knowing the person beneath the veil, Charlotte can't help but smile at the transformation.

Serena settles onto a wooden stool, the sound of its legs scraping the floor nearly lost amidst the crowd's quiet anticipation. An old wooden table stands before her, covered by a black velvet cloth that draws the audience's focus. This setting serves as the stage for the evening's central piece: a crystal ball.

This ball, far from a mere prop store find, demands attention with its significant heft and depth. Despite her experiences with the arcane and mystical, Charlotte has always hesitated to interact with it, wary of the unknown entities it might commune with.

If they could be immortal, she was damn sure there could be even more weird things like ghosts out there.

Just as the session seems about to commence, a slurred interruption slices through the atmosphere. "Cmoooon already, start or something," a man's voice complains, his words blurred by alcohol. Charlotte tries to locate the source of the disruption from her corner but her view is obstructed by the crowd. She bobs up and down. She just hopes he doesn't keep it up during the whole act.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Tarquin 'TK' Hanover

Tarquin emerged from his tent, running his hand through his perfectly messy hair. The circus was already alive and well, the sun threatening to hide behind the trees. It was later in the day than he thought. He had slept through most of the day, his performance and overnight company wearing him out the night before. He zipped his jacket halfway up, the cool Autumn air licking his bare torso.He was already dressed for his aerial ring performance with his black tights, his black jacket and converse would be discarded later.

He looked back to see his guest, a patron from the night before, slip out of his tent and scurry off in the other direction. He was just glad this wasn’t one he had to coerce out or explain that they were a one and done thing. He was all for frequent company but it had to be different company. Tarquin tried to set the boundary that he was not looking for more than one night but he did get the occasional clingy person. Love was ruined for him a long time ago, something he tried not to dwell on anymore.

Tarquin made his way to the main tent, dodging all the patrons and their offspring along the way. He wasn’t in the right headspace to put on his fake smile just yet. As if the fates were tormenting him, he spotted Lenora in all her beautiful and menacing glory making her way towards him with a man he did not recognize. He wore a button up shirt and a blazer, nothing too special for this crowd but there was something about him that Tarquin couldn’t quite put his finger on. He faced them as they closed the gap between.

“Evening, Lenora. Found yourself a new friend?” He asked in a pleasurable but taunting tone One he reserved for her in the light of company. His malice simmered beneath the surface.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Eamon Lake

• mood

Observant

It took little to convince Eamon that hoodies were worth more than silver. He first ran across the innovative piece of clothing in the mid-1970s. The gray jacket had sat awkwardly on a lone shelf in the back of a small shop in New York City and seemed to be more related to a wry sock than a comfortable top. Running off with the tag-less jacket was one of the best decisions he ever made, and once the threads started to tear and the seams ripped, he searched for another.

As Eamon lay against one of the many arbitrary black folding chairs scattered across the backstage like watermelon seeds, he watched performers and assistants alike move through complicated stray crowds with an unchallenged indifference. He nestled further into his black hoodie, a recent souvenir from Canada, partnered with a pair of less-appreciated red sweatpants. His socked feet propped themselves against the ground, untouched by loose dust, thanks to the grace of his brown sandals.

This was not his usual attire, but when the sun began to dip below the horizon and a cool breeze was all that remained of the ghostly light, Eamon needed the extra layers. The change of clothes from his usual work attire wasn’t much of a worry. His act had already passed, and the elephants were handled, not that they needed much work to begin with by his standards.

He noted anxious employees and the experienced pacing quietly and settling around props, keen to not disrupt Serena’s act, and eager to get tonight’s activities finished. He couldn’t blame them; every night felt the same after you stayed here for a while.

He glanced at Chau, who was sitting across from him, and a sudden realization occurred.

“We don’t have an act for you.” The fact was stated with plain offhandedness, as if he were remarking on the weather or thinking about his morning coffee.

waltz no 2

dmitri s

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

There was something so refreshing about exiting the big top to the fresh ocean breeze. The brine cut through all the usual scents- sweat and grease and hay and gasoline and sugar and makeup and butter- on a whimsical ocean wind. After the bright lights and rush of a show, it was a welcome change of scenery, and perfect weather to be out in.

They were barely off of August's tail end, and summer seemed to only be getting hotter and hotter each year. Even retreating north seemed to offer less relief than usual- the days were only a few degrees higher in temperature than in humidity percentage, but at least there was technology to fall back on. Felicity could never have imagined having such effective cooling units in the tents and trailers when she was growing up, but there had been quite the boom- and then some- since then.

She took another step and looked up, hopeful to see some gulls- she couldn't hear them over the people and the music, but they had to be there. Seagulls loved to steal food, after all, and there was plenty left on the ground for the taking if they were brave enough.

Of course they were brave enough. They were seagulls.

But rather than losing herself in another breeze and a familiar walk, Felicity was interrupted instead by a shout. Not that there weren't plenty of those to be had; it was a circus, after all. Kids and young couples and playful families were there to let loose- to cry out in excitement and delight. But this shout was worried. Worried shouts weren't good for business, and weren't good for being available to make better memories. Maybe it would be something innocent, she told herself, her feet already approaching; maybe someone had their foot stepped on, or dropped their drink, was all.

She brought her eyes back down from the sky, the scene painted brightly in the sun. It wasn't so late for everything to be golden yet, but shadows still approached; the vibrant colors of the circus' tents and performs popped against the trodden ground, the tourists failing to compete in their pastels and navies and whites. Even the couple that was drawing a crowd of her coworkers- and herself, apparently- felt like a pale blot on the landscape against the rest of it all despite their growing concern.

Yarrow was there. Of course. As was Callum, clearly unimpressed with the parents. And Lovie, already thinking of how to most effectively search. And, naturally, Felicity was there herself, offering a soothing nod as the couple described their child. "Maybe there was a prize she was particularly taken with?" She tilted her head to one side. "Did you tell her somewhere to meet you if you got separated?"

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Elizabeth

“Fortune Row” was what it was unofficially called; a section along the midway where the fortune tellers had set up their performances. It was often filled with customers wanting to have fortunes told or to talk to their dead grandmother. Colorful tents and posters with images of tarot cards dotted the area, and it smelled vaguely of jasmine or incense. At the center of it was Serena's tent, the focal point of Fortune Row. Serena was different, her powers were legit, and she herself was ethereal, keeping her face hidden behind veils and fog machines. While the performances were mostly smoke and mirrors, Serena had legitimate abilities and had proven it on multiple occasions.

Elizabeth was making her way through Fortune Row, her hands shoved in the pockets of the MIT sweatshirt that still smelled like her parents' house, and a stick of cinnamon flavored gum in her mouth. Even after living, and working here, for a decade, she always felt like an intruder at the circus, especially in Fortune Row. She felt like a fraud, or a poser, using her profiling abilities in a facsimile of Korean Shamanism. Maybe it was because she originally WAS an intruder, maybe it was because she felt like she wore a false face; or maybe it was because she didn't actually have supernatural abilities while the others around her did.

In terms of performances, Elizabeth had just finished hers up. While her own Mudang performances were elaborate, often involving drums and dancing to call upon spirits, Serena was the star of the show on Fortune Row, and she didn’t want to intervene in any of her grand performances. She kept her head low as she watched a large crowd gather around Serena’s tent. It wouldn’t hurt to stop by for a moment, would it?

She ducked inside, taking an open spot near the tent's entrance, and looked over the crowd, giving a polite nod towards Charlotte. She leaned against one of the poles and crossed her arms If it weren't for her hairstyle and makeup, she'd look like just another patron, just like she had been ten years ago. The a draft of wind blew her unbrushed hair through the open flap, causing a strand of hair to get into her face.

As the man began to get rowdy, she instantly jolted forward. Her instincts kicked in, ready to move to action if anything went down.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Fen

The hustle and bustle of performers backstage was something Fen always enjoyed since it tended to slowly fill the air with a buzz as everyone got ready for their various shows. There was the quick, efficient shuffling of props and fun outfits and the occasional panic over some chaotic mishap. All of it still managed to fascinate him even after 10 years with the troupe.

His own performance was a few hours away, set to take place once the sun set beyond the horizon. Fen's normally messy hair was settled in slightly less messy curls, his shirt covered in fancy milkshakes and teacups and tucked away neatly into black shorts. His outfit was a fun addition to his act, which would involve a retelling of some classical fairytales for an audience of eager kids and their confused parents.

Currently though, Fen was busy standing on a folding chair so he could comb through his brother's hair. "Lian, hold still please," he mumbled in concentration, though it was hard to understand his words due to the bobby pins that were being held in between his teeth. Carefully, Fen raised a few locks of hair and positioned them with great care to get the exact look Lian had requested of him. With one hand holding the hair in place and the other fumbling with the bobby pin, Fen was almost done getting his brother ready.

“We don’t have an act for you.”

Eamon’s simple statement caused his eyes to widen, resulting in misfortune nearly striking Lian as Fen's excitement almost caused him to stab the bobby pin through his brother’s head. “AN ACT- oop sorry sorry” Fen nervously chuckled, having quickly realized his mistake and pulling the pin upward before it went in too far while the other pins he had been precariously holding in his mouth clattered to the floor. He looked at the floor and blinked.

“And looks like we’re done,” he said as he fumbled off the chair, giving Lian a sheepish grin to hide the tinge of embarrassment on his cheeks. He looked over at Chau and Eamon. “Eamon has a point, you haven’t found an act yet right?”

He plucked one of the clean bobby pins from the case nearby and offered the end of it to Chau as if it were a token to show his willingness to aid her on this grand journey.

“What do you say? Would you be open to some help?”

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Last edited:

Chau.

Chau had been excited to experience Serena's act first hand though, being a new addition to the Cirque Arcanes, she could only watch from afar. She sat cross-legged on top of a storage box, her back against the tent wall separating her from the act. Her spatial awareness was pretty good... but she still feared interrupting an act by standing in the doorway and getting spotted by the crowd. She smiled as she listened, interested in what spirit Serena would conjure up that evening...

Similarly to Eamon, Chau had chosen a warm, casual outfit. She'd tried to make herself as useful as possible back stage but she hadn't quite figured out where everything was yet. There was no use in wearing an extravagant outfit if she was only going on coffee and snack runs... not that she'd packed any clothes worthy of the stage. She'd left with only a backpack with as much underwear as she could fit in it, with the plan to wash and re-wear the same jeans and hoodie until she could find something else.

She lifted her head as Eamon spoke up. considering his words. Crap, he was right. She couldn't do anything cool, like train elephants or talk to spirits.
"D'you think Lenora will let me stay? Like... as an assistant or something?"
She murmured, leaning her elbows on her knees, resting her chin in her palm. She flinched as Fen seemed to fumble from his perch, holding something out to her as he spoke. She reached out, taking the pin from his grip and feeling it to identify what it was.
"Yes, please..."
She responded, using the pin to hold a strand of her messy curtain bangs back. She'd take any help she could get.

"I dance, I won a couple dance competitions when I was younger,"
She told them,
"but... it's gotta be more than dance, right? No one comes to the circus to see dance."

She pursed her lips as she thought, looking over in Fen's general direction. She could sort of tell where people's eyes were, there was always a darker spot where their eyelashes were, but it was always obvious she wasn't really looking them in the eye.
"I'd be rich if freak shows still existed... Though they didn't really get paid, did they?"

Sweet Hibiscus Tea

Penelope Scott

♡coded by uxie♡

Yarrow.

• mood

determined to find this kid

Yarrow swallowed, glaring for a moment at Callum and his utterly disdainful lack of sympathy for this couple. Sure, it wasn't very smart of them to let their daughter wander off in a giant circus all by herself, but she was still a child, and they were still worried parents. In any case, Yarrow was absolutely determined to help this poor couple find their child. He sighed, smiling at Lovelie as she started making suggestions as to where she might have gone, listening to them as he got their answer. The picture of the little girl, apparently taken recently, was very much a help, as were Felicity's questions as they came. Yarrow swallowed, working up the determination bubbling up at his core.

"Alright, thank you. Anything you give us right now is going to be a great help in finding your daughter, and we will all do our best to find her. We will leave no stone unturned in doing so, and she can't have gone far. We'll find her, I promise you that." Yarrow comforted with a sad smile, before turning to the other members of the group. His face went from that of a warm, comforting man, to one filled with determination as he began giving orders. "Alright, the parents said she likes animals and the mirror maze, so we should split up into pairs. Callum, Lovelie, you two head to the maze, see if she got lost somewhere in the mirrors, Felicity, you and I will go and check out the petting zoo, see if she might have gotten distracted by the animals and forgotten herself. We'll all meet up at the big top in... ten, twenty minutes with whatever information we can gather." he insisted, before heading off to the animal pens. He was determined to find this missing girl, even if it meant doing something stupid to find her.

waltz no 2

dmitri s

♡coded by uxie♡

Ester.

• mood

slightly annoyed.

Ester laid on her bed, or rather the easily folded mattress strewn across the floor, staring up at the ceiling of her tent. She dearly missed sleeping in a real bed, but since joining the troupe the opportunity to do so was few and far between. Everything needed to be easily packed for quick travel, and giving everyone a real mattress would have been too much of a hassle. She let out a loose exhale as she fumbled with the now old-fashion key, looped with a dark ribbon hanging around her neck. A grim thought passed her consciousness as she touched that key, but she let it float away. Never wanting to truly forget, but refusing to fully remember.

She smoothed her dress against her skin as she sat up. A soft, flowing fabric in light pink. As she stood the bottom of the layered chiffon floated about her ankles. She had planned to spend the entire day rotting on that mattress, at least until it was time for her act. Which was later in the day, of course, to allow for less children to try to witness it. A young woman being bound and dropped into a tank of water, or what have you, could be quite upsetting for the little ones.

She exited her tent, and wandered through the crowds. It was even more busy than usual, much to her dismay. Her small stature made it difficult to see through the lines of people. She did have a talent for weaving about them without getting knocked around too much, however. As she strode through the events, she noticed Serena's tent. A sign outside indicating that her act was about to start. She ducked through the entrance, immediately noticing that the tent was nearly full to capacity. She shouldn't have been surprised, Serena's ramblings were always interesting, if not often completely untrue. Still, it didn't take much to convince outsiders that they were. Serena played her part exceptionally and convincingly well.

Ester noticed Elizabeth and Charlotte towards the very back of the crowd, not exactly standinf together, but near each other. Although both dressed like normal patrons, Ester had looked upon all the faces of her troupe members so often over the years that she could pick each of them out of a crowd without a second glance.

Elizabeth wasn't her favorite troupe member, often disapproving of Ester's indulgences, but they weren't exactly on bad terms. As for Charlotte... it was always good to stay on the good side of the only one who could heal immortal injuries. Despite the fact that Ester often felt a certain level of discomfort around her. Charlotte seemed to be able to feel things so deeply, while Ester's own emotions had been dulled for decades.

She wasn't sure if she should approach either of them, but that thought flited away as a slurred shout echoed over the mostly quiet, expectant crowd.

"Cmooon already, start or something,"

A man's voice, clearly intoxicated. Ester first glanced up toward the stage. The veil concealed whatever reaction Serena might have had, but her body remained still. Ester turned her attention back toward the crowd, trying to locate the drunken man amongst the sea of people. She wouldn't be able to do much to physically stop him, but she could steal his keys for being so rude. Her small frame pushed through the people, trying to hone in on exactly where the voice could have come from.

swan lake

tchaikovsky

♡coded by uxie♡

Lenora.

As Lenora made her way through leading the man further into her home, her progress was unexpectedly halted by a familiar figure. Tarquin, her once beloved, stood with his usual condescension glowering. He was the epitome of physical allure with his dark, tousled hair and sharp jawline she once peppered with kisses . Despite his visual appeal and his prowess as an aerial performer, she found him to be incredibly...emotional.

He was a lesson learned, though not without consequences.

"Tarquin," she greeted, her voice filled with practiced cordiality she often forced whenever she was around strangers. Plus, it wouldn't do well to frighten off the visitor quite yet. Though escape wasn't really an option for him, Lenora preferred to navigate the situation with a certain grace.

Detecting the tone in Tarquin's voice, Lenora's demeanor subtly shifted, her head tilting in a mild display of disapproval. "I hope he will be," she replied, her gaze briefly darting in Edward's direction, a careful smile appearing. "He's looking for someone," she added, her gesture subtly inviting Tarquin to view the newcomer with more than a fleeting interest.

Realizing that formal introductions had yet to occur, she turned her attention back to Edward, her expression morphing into a semblance of shame. "Although, I didn't have a chance to get your name yet, did I? I'm off to a terrible start at being a host," she remarked, feigning disappointment in herself.

The snake coiled around Lenora's neck moved forward subtly, inching just a few inches closer. Its focus was intensely fixed on Edward, mirroring the eagerness of its mistress to uncover his name.

"When we're all acquainted, I'm sure I can help answer anything you like.." Edward could note, that her tone was awfully familiar already, despite them barely meeting.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Séverine Giarult.

The jubilant laughter of both children and adults had become her addiction since falling victim to the witch's deceit. However, of late, the euphoria waned. The once exhilarating spotlight and thunderous applause of the audience gradually lost their allure. Sitting amidst the spectators, a pang of envy pierced her.

With a sudden movement, Séverine rose, drawing sharp sighs from those behind her due to her imposing stature obstructing the view. Swiftly, she vacated her seat, exiting the tent into the crisp autumn air, a welcomed relief from the stifling heat within. Today was her day off, yet she found herself aimlessly wandering within the confines of her self-imposed prison. As she traversed the circus grounds, hunger gnawed at her.

Had she eaten today?

Approaching a food stall, she retraced her morning, struggling to recall waking up or even sitting in the tent. Was it truly her day off? Warning bells sounded in her mind, but she suppressed them, as always. Ultimately, the specifics of her morning were inconsequential. Days blurred into months, stretching into an endless eternity. Tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear, she grabbed her food and departed without paying.

Lost in contemplation, Sévie nearly finished her meal as she turned a corner absentmindedly. Her dark brown eyes, seemingly aware of her surroundings, deftly navigated through the crowds. Yet, upon closer inspection, she was clearly lost in thought, a state she no longer feared. Initially daunting, slipping between mental spaces now felt comforting, hastening the passage of time.

Turning another corner, she found herself at the house of mirrors, one of her preferred spots. Still engrossed in her thoughts, she failed to notice Lenora's presence until she blinked rapidly, the familiarity of her features grounding her in reality. Séverine composed her expression into an inscrutable mask, observing her surroundings.

"Tk," she uttered curtly, momentarily faltering. Why was she so abrupt? Weren't they friends? She couldn't recall. Her gaze shifted to the stranger, dark-rimmed glasses framing his face. Did she know him? Glancing between Lenora and Tarquin, she puzzled over their familiarity with the newcomer. Returning her attention to the stranger, she remarked, "You have a stain on your shirt. Did you know that?" Tilted her head inquisitively as she pointed to the orange spot on his shirt. He seemed unkempt in her eyes.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Callum.

Callum stands with his shoulders shaking, a blend of amusement and annoyance playing across his features as Yarrow, the ever empathetic soul of their troupe, begins to delegate tasks. His laughter is a sharp barking sound, laced with disbelief at Yarrow's attempt to command the situation.
"I'm sorry, I know you've often found yourself lodged so far in Lenora's ass you might have assumed you have the same authority, but you don't."
He hisses taking a step forward. He doesn't even grant a glance in Lovelie's direction, the dark beauty who's been paired with him for the search.

The sight of the mother's teary eyes catches his attention, softening his stance if only just for a moment.
"Fuck,"
he mutters, the reality of their mission grinding against his irritation. Despite his initial resistance, the urgency of finding the missing child pushes him towards reluctant cooperation. It's not a kids fault that every adult in the world is basically, a piece of shit. Himself included.

Callum casts a begrudging look at Lovelie, considering how her potential for creating a spectacle might coax the child out of hiding. Admitting to himself that her friendliness with children might outshine his own approach is even a more bitter pill to swallow.

With a heavy sigh, he concedes,
"Fine. The mirror maze, then. Let's get this over with."
Despite the reluctance in his tone, his eyes are bright with expectation. If it was an attempted kidnapping, he'd be able to let out a little anger. If it wasn't? Well, he'd get off without having to do some bullshit rounds around the tents, yelling at teenagers. Without looking back to confirm Lovelie's following him, he strides towards the mirror maze, making a point to flip Yarrow the middle finger- something always satisfying.

It doesn't take him long before he's approaching the mirror maze. Nearby, Callum notices an unusual gathering: Lenora, Tarquin, Séverine, and a stranger, near the entrance. Despite the curiosity this group stirs, he's too focused on the task at hand to give a shit enough to stop what he's doing.

He bypasses the waiting line , shoving by a nonconsequential clown accepting tickets, ignoring the murmurs of protest from the large line. A single menacing glare from him silences any vocal objections.
"It's closed for the moment,"
he announces, offering no further explanation as he waits for Lovelie to join him. His gaze sweeps over the line of people.

"I fucking hate this place. It's even creepier than you are. "
He offers, smirking and saying it quite loud enough for her to hear.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Lovelie.

Lovelie follows behind Callum at a distance. Her brown eyes are sharp as she weaves through the crowd, looking for any sign of the lost little girl amongst the crowd. The thought of the child, lost and alone, tugs at her heart. When the reach the house of mirrors, the sight of the small crowd makes her tilt her head curiously. Callum finally stops at the entrance and she pauses. “I can’t be too creepy, seein’ as children like me. Let’s hope that our little lamb doesn’t run away after one look at your face.” Lovelie shoves past him, knocking into his shoulder hard. Her full lips curve into a mischievous smile as she takes note of his comment.

Neon lights illuminate the house of mirrors. Lovelie steps further in, her signature shimmer oil giving her skin an almost iridescent sheen. The pyromaniac waits until Callum is close enough to speak again. “Ya know….” Her voice went low as she stepped closer. “I heard that if you stare at your reflection for too long…you’ll start to notice that it moves just a liiitle slower than you do. Some say that our reflections are just different versions of us…just waiting for the chance to reach out and take our place. Don’t you ever get that feeling of being watched when you’re in front of your reflection? When you’re looking in a different direction and the feeling of a gaze raises the hair on your neck.”

Lovelie circled Callum then, coming to stop behind him. “Try not to look into its eyes….” She giggled maliciously then before slipping away. “Let’s split up, we’ll have a better chance of finding her no?” Lovelie didn’t give him a chance to answer before she swiftly disappeared behind a mirror. Her voice grew distant as she called the child’s name.

It wasn’t long before her reflections showed up in the mirror. They gazed at Callum with devious intentions. “Hurry now, you wouldn’t wanna get lost in here.”
Though it seemed like Lovelie was merely fooling around, she figured that the sound of what a child would consider playing would draw her out.

Faerie Soirée

Melanie Martinez

♡coded by uxie♡

Edward.

Edward had two thoughts.

One. There was an abundant amount of good looking people who seemed to be working at this Circus. Was that an applicant requirement? Someone has to be incredibly beautiful or handsome? He was grateful for his own job security.

He watched as several clown, acrobats, and a rather tall sad looking man selling bags of popcorn walked by and his theory immediately became debunked. So perhaps not every troupe member needed to be incredibly stunning, but so far there seemed to be at least two.

The second? Something was incredibly odd about this circus. Every stepped he walked with the Ring mistress had him feeling comfortable, in a way he had never imagined before. In a place filled with rather freakish amount of people. In normal circumstances, he wouldn't have even willingly agreed to come here.

" Edward, Edward Benton. " He finally introduced, blinking a few times before looking away from the woman's dark brown intoxicating eyes. The snake around her neck seemed to be a little too interested in him, and he couldn't help but take a tiny step backwards.

"Sorry, not a big fan of cold blooded creatures." He chuckled weakly, keeping his eyes on the slithery little beastie. "Not just snakes, all reptiles, fish, worms," he stated, prattling them off. "Most insects." He cleared his throat finally, noting that neither of them probably cared about his aversion to the creatures.

Just as he attempted to navigate the conversation towards his purpose for being there, a new figure approached. A dark-haired woman with striking features and full lips stepped into their gathering, her attention briefly drawn to a stain on Edward's shirt. He gulped, a chuckle of embarrassment escaping him. "So I do. " He should have chucked the blazer. The fierce way the woman's eyes looked into his own made him want to tear it off and never wear it again. Instead, he pushed his glasses further up his face.

"I'll assume you're another troupe member," he offered, nodding his head in a hopeful manner. "Now that you all know my name, I was hoping I could ask a few questions?"

Retrieving his phone, he presented a photo of Chau to the group. The image of the young girl, marked by her albinism, is distinctive, a detail that Edward hoped will be more helpful than anything. Afterall, he only found a few people with the condition even remotely close in the area, and most were much older than herself.

"I've got a tip-off she's been spotted near here. Any truth to that?" he asked, directing his question to the assembled troupe members. His gaze moved from Lenora to the combative-looking man and then to the taller woman beside him, searching for any sign of recognition or insight into Chau's whereabouts. In the corner of his eyes, he spots another coupling of rather attractive people walk by. The man, hands covered in gloves, barks something to a long line of children and adults before a woman shoves past him and they both disappear into the mirror room.

Odd.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Tarquin 'TK' Hanover

Tarquin smiled slightly as Severine entered their odd group. She had no concept of time these days but he found her charming and interesting. He stifled a laugh while she pointed out the stain on the detective's shirt. She had been here over twice as long as Tarquin and yet he felt she was a breath of fresh air. It was also a plus that she didn’t hold Lenora in a high regard. God knows that he didn’t.

He peered at the picture on Edward’s phone and shrugged nonchalantly. “Lots of people come in and out of the grounds and the only ones I vaguely remember are the ones that come to my tent afterwards,” he said with a smirk and a glint of mischief flashed over his features. “If you want to make this trip a memorable one, you could always check my tent.” TK was a shameless flirt, something he had pleasure flaunting in front of Lenora.

He pulled out a cigarette from his pocket, lighting it with a zippo lighter. He of course knew the girl. She was probably less than 100 yards from their current position but he wasn’t going to tell him that. Chau had to make her own decision about the circus, a decision he wished he could sway but she needed to choose her own path. It wasn’t his say or the detectives what she decided to do. TK knew that Lenora wouldn’t let him meddle too far but TK also knew Lenora’s expressions better than he’d like to admit. He wasn’t sure if he liked where he believed this was going.

TK turned to Severine, knowing she didn’t remember new faces well. “Have you seen her Severine?”

• mood

careless

Of course Yarrow would decide that it was up to him to tell the rest of them what to do. While Felicity couldn't deny that splitting up was probably a smart call, that didn't make it any less annoying for him to simply tell them, instead of taking the thirty seconds to decide who wanted to go where. Or with whom. And for a moment, Callum had the balls to speak up- before folding and sulking off, with Loveie in tow. With them gone, there really wasn't much any room for arguments. Besides, maybe her own frilly outfit would help draw the kid away from the animals, if she was there. It was certainly more interesting that Yarrow's suit.

She offered one last sympathetic smile to the parents- keeping customers happy was part of the job, after all- before turning heel and following quickly after her assigned partner. "Red hair and pink polka dots, hm? Should be gaudy enough to spot from a distance," she commented. Maybe the two of them could get along for these twenty minutes. After a couple more steps, she scrunched up her nose. "Assuming that she hasn't taken the jacket off yet." From what she could recall, six year olds weren't known for keeping the best track of their things- and it was still early in the month.

The stench of the animals greeted them first. After the sweat of being backstage in the tent and the salty air from the ocean, it hit Felicity as being particularly unpleasant. She swatted her hand in front of her nose to drive it off. "Field'll be well fertilized when we leave, at least. Poor thing probably turned right around if she even came this way." A quick scan of the surrounding people showed no red-headed children, with or without pink polka dot coats, and the acrobat immediately looked up to Yarrow. "Maybe we'd be better off helping Lovie and Callum with the mirror maze? Or should have asked if there was somewhere else she would've gone if the animals weren't all she dreamed them to be?" More importantly- when was the last time anyone had cleaned up after the big cats?

♡coded by uxie♡

Charlotte.

• mood

worried

As the tent closes and the lights dim, Charlotte watches Serena begin her act, a performance she's seen many times but never grows tired of. Serena's soft, comforting voice fills the space, promising an exploration into the unknown. The disruptive man's snorts cut through the anticipation, but Charlotte finds herself more intrigued by Serena's composure than annoyed by the interruption.

"Clear your minds, open yourselves for the unexpected," Serena guides, still smiling somehow. The air inside the tent grows noticeably colder, Charlotte feels a chill run down her spine. Several others close by must feel the same, as they shake considerably.

Then, the disruptive man's patience wears thin, and he shouts, ""Make something happen already!". This abrupt outburst causes Serena to pause, a momentary break in her performance.

Charlotte feels a flicker of annoyance. She knows how much effort Serena puts into her sessions, how deeply she connects with the energies she conjures, and to have that disrupted by impatience feels unjust.

Without a word, Charlotte stands, her gaze fixed on the man who had shattered the tentative peace of the gathering. She walks towards him, perhaps not the most intimidating person but still frustrated.

"Please," Charlotte begins, her voice low but clear, cutting through the tension, "this experience requires patience and openness. If you cannot offer that, I kindly ask you to leave so as not to ruin it for others."

Where was Callum when you needed him? Likely off harassing teenagers. He was known to do that, or really anyone who showed any joy. The man was much taller than she was, so even as she pleaded with him she was forced to look upwards.

Desperately, she glanced back up at Serena hoping she didn't mind her own interruption. There was no sign of her appreciating or being annoyed by the gesture, so Charlotte stayed put, waiting to see the mans response.

cry for love

백현

♡coded by uxie♡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back