• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Laying the bricks of a Kingdom

MarkNorbert

City of Asura. The most beautiful city he ever saw. It's walls stretched high, like they were trying to react the bright blue sky, it's distinctive buildings, which held a powerful and bright mixture of both Asirian and Serdian culture, it's paved ground and the green high trees that were surrounding him, accompanied by the flower decorations which resided at the end of the sidewalk. Given the chance, he would never change the city. Given the chance, he would protect the city till his last breath. That's how he felt about the city he was born in. His loyalty remained solid to the city, to Asiria itself. And just a couple of days ago, he was like every general and like every soldier in service to Asiria, to the Serdian colony and to the Serdian Empire. But now, his loyalty resided only in Asiria, as he was chosen to be king of Asiria. He never wished to be a king. He never felt like being king. Hell, he doesn't even know politics. Yet, they chosen him, the hero of Trapezitsa, to be king. With their carefully chosen words, they influenced him and succeeded. Now, the die is cast.

It felt odd for him now, as he walked around the streets, in his favorite white robe that covered the right side of his chest, smoothly going down, embracing his waist and then covering his legs perfectly, in felt odd to walk now as everyone bowed down to him and smiled and addressed him as king. The multitude of times he told people to stop bowing to him. It angered him. Especially since he was a short man. Especially when people taller than him bowed to him, it gave him the feeling that they are trying to make him feel comfortable with his height. Even thought he knew it wasn't the case, his stupid guts told him so. But what angered him most, was his guards, always following him like dogs. When he stopped, they stopped. When he walked they walked. When someone got to close, they barked. How could he embrace a fellow kinsman in peace when he always had to reassure his guards that he or she is not hostile.

He walked towards the marketplace, a busy area of Asura. From there, passing the loud voices of the merchants, vendors and customers, you could hear the waves crashing on the port of the city. Whenever he was put on his thoughts or troubled, he would go on the high walls and stare blankly at the mass of sea, as it calmed him slowly. But this time, he was not on his thoughts nor troubled. He was thirsty. Very thirsty. And he knew the right man to go to.

He walked and walked between the marketplace and when he go out of it, he reached in front of a winery. A man was standing outside the building, right in front of it. He noticed Perseus right before Perseus had the chance to say hello. He walked towards Perseus and out-stretched his arm towards Perseus. Perseus had to turn to his guards to let them know that the man is no threat and once he done that, he took the man's arm into his, into an almost brotherly and manly shake of hands.

"Well, if isn't the king himself." the man said, with a smile on his face.

"I swear to the Gods, if you continue like that, I'll cut your tongue out." Perseus said, with a harsh tone. He looked the man dead in the eye, with a serious expression on his face. Which didn't last, as he smiled wide. "How have you been old man?" he asked him. "It seems you took your father's winery."

"Yes indeed." the old man said, waving his hands towards the building, like he was presenting it to Perseus. "Its good to be old. No more worrying about arrogant fools who would order his men to charge the enemy." he continued and with his hands on his hips, he looked at Perseus.

"I only charge when I know we can give a serious blow." Perseus quickly protested.

"Oh, I'm not complaining about your tactical ways. Ignore this old man speak his war tales. I'm surprised. From a soldier, to a wine maker. Couldn't ask for better." the old man said. "But enough! I'm sure you came here to drink! So let us drink! Its," the old man coughed a little, intentionally. "on the house." he continued. Both Perseus and the old man walked inside, two guards remaining in front of the door while the other two walked inside with the king.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alcibiades walked with his own attachment of guards but he wasnt so warmly welcomed in fact the went out their way to avoid. He did not care he was not one to care for his popularity amongst the populace , he focus was retrieving his new crowned son back in the palace for a council meeting. He saw the kings guard outside a winery and frowned walking up to them, the two guard stood in attention immediately.

"Is he inside?" Alcibiades asked simply.

"Yes, commander."

"You two will be on armor cleaning duty for two months for not directing the king to his duties."Alcibiades ordered though he figured it would be mute since Perseus will probably let them off but hopefully the did not know that yet. He stepped inside seeing Perseus with an old man."This were you neglect your duty Perseus."

"Father, do you need help?" Aketa walked to the man as he pushed up against the bench to get up.

"No, I got it, dear," Galenus grumbled, finally pushing himself up with a small grunt. Aketa frowned, looping her arm with his so she could walk him to the rest of the council as she usually did. "I can walk on my own, Aketa," the man stated, a laugh rumbling from his gut.

"Through the crowds? Father, your knee is weak, let me help you." She walked the man from the porch of their home and down the sidewalks, keeping her arm looped to his so he wouldn't fall. "It's very lively today," she smiled to the people they passed.

"Mhm, it is." Galenus agreed. "Why are you not at the school?" He pondered, looking to his daughter as they walked towards the council's building.

A small laugh left her lips, shaking her head softly. "I told you, school does not start until tomorrow." She patted his arm gently as she looked to the different faces that passed by her. Aketa dropped one hand to smooth out the white fabric of the cloth gown she wore, "I'm excited for it to start, though," she looked up to her father with a small laugh.

"Of course you are, Aketa. I'm shocked you didn't bring your books with you today," Galenus let another bellow of a laugh rumble from his throat, earning a huff from the young maiden.

"Oh please, I just left them on the table." Aketa bumped the man's shoulder.

"It's not your place to judge where or how he takes his actions, you are not a part of the senate or the King's political court, Alcibiades." Ambrosia said walking out of the shadowed corner of the room setting down her glass and walking to Alcibiades. "In fact aren't you just to make sure he stays safe in his travles? I mean if you were advising him to do otherwise it would seem to me that you would be taking the responsibility of the King's hand and quite lacking the power and influence that comes with the role," she said almost seductively running her fingers on his shoulder plate then his neck "and we wouldn't want anyone taking the little guard a fool, would we?" She asked in a much more threatening tone.

"We must go after your drink, Sir." She said in a serious tone not trying to be pushy. "We don't want to show the people that their King is not punctual and is a drunk." Walking back to her seat and finishing off the drink she looked back at the guard winking and smiling sassily showing him she is the boss.

Perseus looked at his father standing in front of him, while he was with a cup of wine in his hand, a cup he was intending on drinking, but was never given the chance. The man loved to drink, especially with other people. In his military life so far, he always sat down with his men and drank, ate and told stories with them. He felt more comfortable that way, he trusted his men more that way, he cared about them more and he hoped they felt the same about him.

After Alcibiades made his comment about Perseus whereabouts, he decided to ignore him for the moment and drank the cup of wine, his eyes locked in the cup's interior. He expected him to comment more, but instead, Ambrosia went ahead of him and spoke. He didn't watched her little chat with Alcibiades, instead, he kept staring in his cup even after it was emptied. When she was done and turned to Perseus and told him that they had to go, he simply nodded.

He rose from his seat, alongside with his old friend, who stayed quiet at the exchange between the three. Perseus looked him in the eye and smiled, as they shook hands.

"Always interested in drinking your wine, old friend." Perseus said.

"Always an honor to have you around, little fool." the man replied back, with a grin on his face.

Perseus's pleasant memories waved themselves towards the present as he remembered how the man used to call him a fool. Probably because he was to arrogant. Either way, he did not mind the little nickname he was given. He earned it and he intended to keep it.

"Alright, let's go to this boring council meeting and get it over with." Perseus said, as he pointed his hands towards the front entrance, waiting Alcibiades to lead the way.

"I am his father, that gives me all the power and influence i need, wench." Alcibiades said to Ambrosia in barely contained anger as he brushed of the girls hand on his shoulder." I dont care how i appear i just thought the running of out new country should take precedence over getting wasted on old watered down wine. If its foolish to think that i guess i should take it as compliment."He watched Perseus approach him and the comment on the boring council meeting made him see red earning his son Alcibiades back hand across the face or at least that what should earn him." You are ruler of a country, strange as it seem at times like this, these boring council meeting can effect the lives of thousands even the old man you seem friendly with. I suggest you give them a little more consideration then "Get it over with."

Aketa led her father up to the council building, her right arm looped into his left to steady him up the stairs due to his bad knee. The man was a wise fellow, but a past incident years ago damaged his leg, and left his knee acting up at times. "Are you staying today, dear?" Galenus asked, looking down to Aketa as they walked towards the meeting area.

"I was planning on going to the market, to get a few things, and then go to the school building to set up," she explained, but gave him a soft shrug. "I could stay for a few, then slip away later," Aketa smiled to the white bearded man.

"Aye, stay for a bit. These old fools get boring sometimes," Galenus whispered to the top of her head since she was significantly shorter than the man.

"Father!" She laughed, "you are one of those men yourself," she pointed out. Galenus nodded as they turned to where there were a few other older and younger council men and women. Aketa smiled to the people, nodding her hello. Galenus took it upon himself to drag her over to a few other council members his age to talk before they would all settle down to discuss matters.

"Do you always have to be serious?" Perseus asked. "Hope there is something more interesting this time, not like last time." he added.

He hated these council meetings, it bored him completely. Sometimes he wondered what would the council members do if he would fall asleep right in the middle of their speeches. He picked his nose once. One of the council member got so angry about it, that he yelled out loud. Of course, Perseus laughed about it at first, but he quickly apologized to the man. But what could Perseus do? The man is a general, not a politician, a governor. Why does the king have to worry about taxes? Sure, he knew they bring income, but what part couldn't they understand about him being completely clueless about politics and administration? Or maybe it was because he didn't said it right.

"Let's do this." he pointed towards the council building with hesitation, then walked towards it.

He always seemed to find interesting things when he didn't had much free time. A fancy armor. A delicious-looking fruit. A sword. Why would they always appear when he never had any time left. He wanted to stop. He truly did. And if his father or anyone else would comment something about it, he would just shut their mouths with a few words. But alas, he wasn't in the mood for fighting, especially in the morning. He just continued to walk towards his destination until he arrived.

Once inside the building, Perseus hurried towards the Council room, its entrance covered by a huge wooden door, which was open for the council members to enter the room for the meeting. Within the room was a U formed out of stone benches covered in comfortable and high-quality textiles, gradually going up, while on top of the U, -which was in front of it-, was a fine wooden chair, with red textiles covering it and next to the wooden chair, two exact copies for of the one in-between them. These chairs were for the king, the head of the council and the queen, which unfortunately was empty since Perseus had no wife.

Members of the council already appeared to be within the room, if not all were present, from what Perseus could see. With a bow before the present members of the council, Perseus stretched his arms wide.

"I, Perseus, await your guidance and advice involving the ruling of this kingdom. The meeting has now began." he said, as he sat down on his seat, already resting his chin under his hand, prepared to be bored once more. He looked at his father, waiting him to be the first one to rise and speak. Most of the council was worried about the Empire and they wanted Perseus to send support against the invaders, which Perseus refused. He was having a feeling that his men were needed here, to fight against Asiria's neighbors. Now that Asiria was independent and alone, these wolves would soon strike, believing they have an easy prey before their eyes. Perseus was prepared to prove them wrong.

Galenus led his daughter towards the council room, dragging her along to his seat near the middle. "I forgot my own journal for notes," Galenus frowned as the two unhooked arms as they sat down.

"Youll remember what was said, you always do," Aketa assured, a bright smile on her face before gently folding her hands in her lap as she looked up to where the king began to speak, silencing the crowd. Galenus nodded silently at the young king's words, looking to the man next to him before stroking his beard. Aketa crossed her legs before dragging a hand gently through her hair to push it out of her face for now.

Ambrosia steps out in front of the door and stopped the woman and the older man and asked, "You are not a member of the council, correct?" She asked only because she had never seen the two before. "You also seem too young to be a woman of politics, what are you 20, if that?"

May the gods watch over you,

TheRuleBook

Galenus rose a bushy brow to the woman, "I have been a member of this council for years, young one," the man said.

Aketa smiled to her, "22, but I am not. Merely here to make sure my father's knee does not give out on him. Though I do come to the meetings often, I know the politics." She said gently, her friendly smile staying placed onto her features.

Ambrosia mulled over the woman's response in her head for a moment not on her words but as a combatant, saw her having no threat to the king and let her and the man proceed. "Remember what is said here is not for the people's nor the enemy's ears no matter how threatening, miss." Ambrosia said as a reminder to keep her in line after the meeting making sure she causes no trouble.

Ambrosia walked up the stage and took her place standing to the right of the king, and had changed into her much more appropriate council gown which revealed many of her scars from fighting along the King's side one coming from the left side of her neck coming down and behind her shoulder blade, from that wound she should not have survived. Walking in front of the King's father almost intentionally flaunting her battle scars at the man showing him she was not just some whore that knew the right people to talk to but actually someone that deserved respect unlike what he had shown her earlier. Looking over the crowd of men and women in the council she smiled knowing she had risen to a place of respect, and not out of pity for the dead.

TheRuleBook

"Ah, yes, thank you," Aketa responded. She knew she had no place to say what was said here to anyone but the council men and women. And, despite being born off these shores, she would still hold her loyalty here even when home sick. Her caring glance went to her father, "is your knee alright?" She whispered when they were settled down after the younger woman had spoken to them and the king had adressed the council to begin the meeting.

"It is sore, but it'll get better by the end of this," Galenus whispered back with a nod before focusing. Aketa gave an approving nod of her head, using her hand to shift her pale golden locks from her shoulders and push it down her back.

Having come to these meetings since she was just a young girl, Aketa was rather custom to how they went and how they worked. She typically wasn't too bored during the meetings, despite her fingers braiding thin strands of her hair as she listened.

Alcibiades took a moment to clear his throat and take a deep breath before walking from the right hand side of the thrones to the center of council hall. "If it pleases his highness and his council, i would like to report on recent development outside out porters that requires attention."He said though did not wait for actual approval as it was only a formality." There was signs of a build of Cornis troops near our border,while our allie in the west is fighting its own war. i fear it is a bad sign that require some action."

Aketa and Galenus looked up to where the king's father began to address the council, both listening carefully. Aketa knew her place amongst these people as she was just Galenus's--a renowned council member who could grumble on for days about an issue--daughter and not to speak out of line. She was fine with that; listening to learn was something that peeked her interest no matter how boring it became. Galenus soon cleared his throat before standing to speak.

"Of these Cornis troops, what do we know for sure?" He asked, letting his experienced mind dwell slightly before continuing, "if they are low in numbers, our actions would differ from that if the situation involved many troops." He lifted a hand, stroking his head in thought as he pondered over situations, Aketa raising a hand to stable his arm in case his knee gave.

"If our allies war is spreading, should we not stop it?" Another council member spoke up, making Galenus raise his hand towards the man and shake his head.

"Blindly jumping into any situation is foolish. We must acquire all we can before taking action, should we not?" He questioned, willing to admit his plans did not always work by questioning himself. He listened to the hum of other members near by, pitching into their conversations as the council began to take it upon themselves and openly discuss with their neighbors of the issue given to them.

The king leaned forward, resting his chin on his fingers, his elbows resting on his knees. He watched them as every council member spoke their mind. He was ignoring them completely, uninterested about their discussions. He thought about the situation and sought to take care of it by himself.

Comis tried to take Trapeztsa, but failed. We drove them back. They took a beating they haven't seen before from us. The only reason they would want to attack us is revenge. Or another attempt to conquer us. His thoughts lingered in his mind. He never saw the Mirodians as his allies, more like temporary friends. He did not trust others who were not Asirian or Serdian. We can only trust ourselves, his cavalry commander once told him.

"Comis will attack. Soon. They are a prideful people and taking a beating from fishermen penetrated their ego. They want revenge." Perseus said, loud enough for everyone to hear. "If they are preparing for war, then so we will."

"King Perseus, war is not the way. We must react a diplomat-" one of the council members said, but was cut off by Perseus.

"Before your Empire arrived, we Asirians had to fight for our lives. We lost and lost everything, but we have rebuilt, hoping they would stop. But they never did it. Then you arrived. You gave us hope and trained us to defend ourselves." he scanned the council room, like he was trying to make sure everyone heard him. His eyes stopped Aketa and Galenus, then continued to Alcibiades.
You know how I feel, how we all feel. No more hiding. No more hoping, he thought as his eyes remained on his father.

"We fight." he said, his eyes still on his father. "We will rely on no one but ourselves. Let them come. We will prove them, we will show them, that now
we are in charge. I must beg of you, to use your skills to keep our ally away from this. Or anyone."

He stood up and remained there. He didn't moved, he just stared. Curious to see what do they think. About this. About him. They might call him warlike, but he was a soldier. Give him a sword and he will slay down even the biggest animal before him. Give him an army and he will be victorious in the name of Asiria.

There it was, one of the few moment that Alcibiades could see the potential of his son as leader and the feeling some genuine pride in his son. Though he felt that these moment were becoming fewer and far between at least they in the way he saw him. Still Alcibiades bowed his head as sigh of acknowledgment and small mark of respect.

"The 2nd Army will hold the line, your highness and much more will make them pay dearly for the goal."He said resolutely."However, i request from the council to enact conscription to bolsters our numbers."

Aketa listened to her father discuss with a few other bearded men, their voices calm and contained as they always were. When Perseus' voice sounded over everyone, heads turned to fall silent and listen to their king. Galenus, standing still with two other men, and Aketa also turned to listen. Her eyes glanced up to her father as he had that intense pondering look he always got, examining everything including the young king. A stroke of his beard, and he came to his own conclusion with an approving nod.

"We must be ready, then," Galenus stated, looking to the man at his side who shook his head before looking back to where Perseus stood. "I believe we have some here who can persuade our ally not to interfere, if that is truly what you wish," the old man ran his fingers through his beard as his friend standing by him began to whisper harshly into his ear.

Dropping her hand from her father's arm, Aketa replaced it into her lap, thinking over all that was said herself. Perseus seemed confident in his plan, Alcibiades also seemed to have belief in the plan since he added his own words. Her brows shoved together, creating a small crease between them, as she thought, glancing up to where Galenus was grumbling to the other man back and fourth about their opinions of the issue, the older lady by them pitching in at times.

Perseus nodded with agreement at Alcibiades comment on getting more numbers on their side. It shouldn't take much to make them join, most, if not all, Asirians wanted revenge on what they did to them, their families and their homes. And he wanted revenge as well, but he wanted conquest more than revenge. And he would use the wrath of his people on them effectively, to the benefit of Asiria.

"The Mirodians are tricky bastards. Or so I heard. But yes, I would like you to keep them in check." Perseus told Galenus. "Also, I know you bring your daughter, if not every time, with you here, at council meetings. If you go to them, don't bring your daughter with you. I know she helps you, but the Mirodians aren't that friendly with something that pleases their eyes."

Shutting his mouth, he turned to Ambrosia and walked towards her. He pressed his arm on her back and slightly pushed her away from the crowd.

"I got a task for you." he whispered. "I need you to go beyond the border and find out where are the Comis gathering their forces. If you are able, if you find their plans too, that would be perfect. Remember, Comis men are always eager to see a young and beautiful woman. I know you will use that to your advantage." (I will PM you with the necessary information.
:) )

Patting her shoulder, Perseus turned to his father and walked towards his father. He pressed his palm on his shoulder and got closer to him.

"No holding the line, this time we conquer." he told him. "My plan is simple. I want you to take the 2nd army and go to Vrisis (East to Asura). From there, I will send a courier and then I want you to launch an attack on Apinous (East of Vrisis). Don't destroy the city. Conquer it. Afterwards, head to Gea. Conquer it and then we will meet at their capital and conquer it together. I will go to Trapezitsa and launch an attack on Thekidessa(West-South to Trapezitsa). Once the city is ours, I will keep a garrison there and with the rest of the army we will march together on their capital. This plan might change depending where their main army is." he explained his plan to him, then remained silent to hear his opinion.

Galenus looked back up when the king addressed him, carefully listening to his words about the Mirodians. Tricky was a challenge, but he had dealt with such while on the council for his birth lands. He looked down to where Aketa was sitting when Perseus told him not to bring her, seeing the look of worry on her face. Her mouth screwed to the side, lifting her hand to bite her left thumb slightly in concern before dropping the hand and looking up to where her father was. "Someone will have to go to help you, father," she said gently.

Galenus shook his head, "I have a cane, somewhere." He assured with a nod, despite the fact he hated using that rod of wood to help him around. He frowned to the sigh he heard leave Aketa.

She turned her head to the man who was standing by her father, "you'll go with him, if he chooses to go, wouldn't you?" She wanted her father to be safe, and him going with just escorts that did not know how to tend to the old fool like she did made her nervous. Aketa knew Galenus would not let her go with him, especially not with the king's warning.

"I will," the other council man nodded his head, making a thankful smile creep onto her features before she'd make her father take a seat to ease the pressure off his bad knee as the two began to discuss matters once more.

Alciabides considered his son plans, on paper it sounded like a fine plan but on the field would be very different. He tried to imagine the plan in action considering supplies and the topography of Comis and how it would effect the campaign. In his younger day, Alciabides could do these consideration by pure memory now he found it hard without putting thought on parchment, The one issue with his son plan was evident enough though:

"Its longer journey from Thekidessa to their capital then it is to Gae and thats if you want avoid the forest in between and go south pass. Gives time for the enemy to counter attack on any of our gain even bypass as completely into out territory. Cutting through the forest is even worse as i her the Comis like to use it for ambushing. "He explained."It think we should meet halfway to the capital south east of Trapezitsa and consolidate before going for the capital."

Perseus scratched his chin as he stared in his father's eyes. The man's right. The forest is a great place for an ambush, especially since the Asirians didn't knew it well. He squished his brain in thinking of a better idea. He listened to his father's words, but he knew he could come with a better idea.

"Maybe it will be best if we find out where their main army is. Then, we might either avoid it or counter-attack it. I might take an army and linger around, make them believe they have an easy chance to kill the king and then we pull them into a trap." he said, placing his hands on his hips. "What is your plan father?" he asked him, curious.

"That is a little better, your highness, aside from the obvious risk to yourself. Which i assume i cant persuade you not to take that risk." He said considering the plan. He didn't appreciate the challenge of figuring out a plan as he had none at the moment, he was not as quick to plan as he used to be."I need a little time to consider a plan your highness, once i have some information available to me."He admitted taking the shot to his pride in front of the council, though internally he was furious.

"The king can take any risk he pleases I am here to defend his life if a situation goes wrong." Ambrosia said finally speaking for the first time during the meeting.

TheRuleBook

Users who are viewing this thread

Back