• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Land of Xaria

spacient

BlazingSword BlazingSword

The midday sun glared down at the wilds of the forest of Call'yl. The birds chirped, the wind blew through the trees, and the piercing gaze of Nyxiana Bellmont broke through a calm. Earlier, she visited the village of Xaren, and its leaders recognized her for her power and divinity almost immediately - the face paint and the symbol on her weapon may have also had something to do with it. The village leaders explained to her about the plight of their people. Their people are being attacked by enraged, rabid beasts with a mysterious aura around them. Their hunters cannot safely find food, shipments cannot go in or out without being attacked, and the children are terrified. How could Nyx turn down a cry for help?

The task is fairly simple, straightforward. Find out what's causing the aggression in the animals, fix it, and things should go back to normal. The villagers told her to head north, into the good hunting grounds passed the river. The warning was that if she saw the Dancing Trees - whatever that could mean - that she had taken a wrong turn and was heading more east. She had seen no such trees, and her time in forests and her travels proved her to have an excellent sense of direction. She followed a trail, her bow armed at the ready, were a beast to charge her at any moment.

After a while of walking, she saw a mysterious sight - something shining between the trees. What could be so shiny in the middle of the forest? Silently, she sneaked forward, moving between the trees in case it was dangerous, and she finally saw that it was the figure of a man in armor, and a ray of light had caught one of the metals plates and reflected her way. She paused there, watching and waiting to see what he would do or if he saw her. If he was dangerous, this would be another threat she would take care of for the villagers, but she didn't want to be premature and shoot an innocent man.

Aegon crouched in a well lit open clearing in the middle of the forest. The sunlight engulfing him and causing him to sweat profusely. "I shouldn't have left Gentry at the the stables, his sense of direction has always been better than mine." He muttered to himself. He rubbed the back of his head as he tried to remember what the old man had told him about dancing trees and such. Finding nothing coming to mind he rose to his feet.

He left the clearing heading north and hoping something would either come to him, or that he would stumbled upon whatever was causing the town such grief. He paused before he got back to the tree line, feeling as if he were being watched. He turned looking into the trees behind him. Despite seeing nothing he knew his instincts weren't wrong. He just hoped that it wasn't much of a threat. Then again part of him hoped it was.

"Is someone there? If you are make yourself known!" His hand rested on the handle of the greatsword that sat on his hip so that The Reflective steel Fox Head sigil would be visible. Though he didn't add a threat to the demand, his tone clearly dictated that he wouldn't be asking again.

spacient spacient

Nyx watched the man, seeing some sort of confusion on his face as he turned around. He didn't know what he was doing out here - he was either a poor bandit or a lost vagabond in forest. She wanted to maintain the advantage of being hidden, but he could sense her presence and would find her eventually unless she turned into a mouse and left him there. Finally, she whistled and stepped out from behind the tree, arrow aimed and ready to shoot him between the eyes, "State your business," she spoke clearly, though it wasn't like she actually wanted to kill him, it was just precaution

When the woman stepped out with her bow drawn and her arrow knocked, he removed his hand from the sword at his hip raising both of them in as non threatening way as he could. Surprisingly his face showed no fear. "One could ask you to do the same...but then again you asked first. I'm here to help the town of Xaren, apparently there is some kind of wild animal problem...I'm not gonna lie though I seem to be hopelessly lost." He smiled in an attempt to show he was friendly and not a threat, but in his head he was going over the situation. He figured he could Dodge the arrow, but something in the pit of his stomach told him that the arrow was the least of his worries when dealing with this woman. "Think we can talk without pointing weapons at each other?" He said in a slightly less confrontational tone.
spacient spacient

Those little rats sent another?! Do they not think I am capable enough on my own?

The woman, who looked so calm and relaxed before, obviously was not happier with his answer. Her pride was taking a blow right now, even though he didn't necessarily mean anything by it. Her jaw looked clenched and her knuckles on her hands turned white, however, she lowered the bow so he wouldn't be in any danger, "For someone lost, you're actually stumbling in the right direction. I, too, have been sent by the elder of Xaren to take care of the aggressive wildlife problem."

Once the bow was lowered he dropped his hands and pushed his hair back with his left hand. "So you met the elders huh? I kinda just stumbled on to this job, some couple was fleeing the area and bumped into me, i heard the stories and figured something needed to be done." He turned to look back in the direction he was heading. "Im kinda disappointed though, your the most dangerous thing I've found so far. It's actually getting kinda boring." He turned back to the woman with the same smile. "Wanna help me find em? You seem to have more information than I do."
spacient spacient

Nyx sighed, seeing that he was here on his own terms rather than by the elder. She would rather he leave, but then realized he was lost, and would probably be lost until someone brought him back to Xaren. She couldn't leave the man like this, no matter how irritated she might be at his presence, "Fine, fine. You can help me find the source of the problem. You mentioned that a couple sent you out here, what exactly did they tell you? Perhaps they saw something useful."

"well they told me that there was some kind of demon or something turning wild animals against them, their son was a hunter who lost his life in the northern part of the woods so I figured that was as good a place to start as any." He reached into his bag pulling out a poorly drawn map, and a canteen of water. The map showed the town, the forest, another nearby town to the west and the open clearing they were now in was somewhere near the center. "They gave me this map and I had a compass when I started in, but I lost it when I got tripped up by a root, it's almost like the forest is trying to sabotage me but hey I'm used to such things."
spacient spacient

A demon - that was certainly interesting, and something she didn't know. That would explain why there were animals getting overly aggressive, "Well now we know what we're getting into," she said as she finally walked over to him now and glanced at the map, "And now you have me here, I feel perfectly at ease among the trees. If we want to find the demon before nightfall, we had better keep moving."

"after you then ma'am." He said in as respectful a tone he could muster, handing her the map. Something was off about this woman but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. She seemed familiar but foreign. He drew his sling casually and scooped a pebble off of the ground. If he was needing to deal with animals and demons ranged weapons seemed the safest bet. "So how did you wind up getting involved in this, it's kinda my job so that's why I'm here. What pulls you into the woods to slay a demon?"
spacient spacient

Nyx began walking again, heading in the direction she was told by the elder, but straying a little bit to follow the map. At his question, she straightened, wondering whether or not she should tell him she was an acolyte. Well, they would be walking together for a while, and she was known around many of the smaller forest encompassed villages, "You could say this is my job too. I am Nyxiana, acolyte of Dyraam, God of nature and the elements. Whatever natural problem ails the many, I will be there to help."

"is that a fact..." Aegon said coyly as he followed behind her. He thought about telling her that he was also an acolyte, but his was a god who rewarded action, not words. Plus if there really was a demon then she would find out what they had in common soon enough. "Well then it would seem that I stumbled upon the perfect companion for this venture." He said as they continued into the treeline.
spacient spacient

His response was very strange to her, but then again, he just seemed like a strange person. He was calm when she aimed an arrow at him, what kind of person put themselves in so much danger that they wouldn't flinch at the possibility of being shot with an arrow. He just had... something about him that was familiar about him that she just couldn't put her finger on. She would keep an eye on him throughout this little adventure, and maybe it would come to her. She muttered quietly, "What a pleasant coincidence for you." she didn't offer much else in terms of conversation

After a little while of walking, a loud, almost moaning shriek pierced the air from the west, and then a set of thunderous footsteps and snapping twigs. She turned, seeing an oncoming charging giant boar with a black, shadowy aura around it. Quickly, she reacted with shooting one of her arrows, then needing to quickly launch herself out of the way to avoid getting gored by a tusk

When the boar came crashing through the brush Aegon couldn't help but feel a bit excited. Even more so when Nyxiana leapt out of the way. I guess I won't have to worry about her.
He thought to himself as he braced himself for the boar, instead of running away, he began running towards the boar. He realized he didn't have enough time to get a good wind up on the sling so he dropped it.
Once he and the boar collided he shuffled his feet, stepping out from behind the boars tusk like a matador dodging a bull, but with inhuman speed. Shooting his hand out he grabbed the boars tusk and yanked as hard as he possibly could hoping to steer it into a nearby tree. letting out a shout of effort he tugged and pulled the horn finding that he was now holding on for dear life. "SHOOT!!!"
He shouted at Nyx hoping she would hear him over the boars screeches.
spacient spacient

The boar screeched and thrashed, trying to throw Aegon from its body to no avail. Its efforts only knocked it off balance, and combined with his tugging, it was effectively turned around until it crashed into a tree.

Nyx, stared with wide eyes, watching this strange man she met barely an hour ago in the middle of the forest basically grappling a giant boar until he was being dragged along for dear life. When his efforts were successful though, she quickly took out another arrow from her quiver, aimed, and fired for its heart. Though she was a great shot, she just missed its heart, though still mortally wounding the beast

With a cry of pain and anger, the boar fell, though not dead. It was bleeding, dying. Probably one more hit would take the animal down if they were merciful

When the boar finally went down from the arrow, Aegon kept hold of the tusk with his right hand. He patted it's head gently saying "A worty challenge you were, and faultless in the eyes of Calburn. Rest well brother." As he spoke the mantra he placed his left foot on the boars shoulder and with a tug of all his might the loud snap of the boars neck echoed through the forest.

Once it ceased it's motions Aegon sat on it catching his breath. After a few moments of gasping he finally turned to Nyx. "An excellent shot Lady Nyxiana."
spacient spacient

Nyx didn't seem to hear him, or maybe she as purposefully ignoring him as she walked up to the dead boar now. She squatted next to its head, then closed its eyes, almost rubbing its head soothingly, "May Dyraam give you peace," she sighed. She didn't enjoy killing the beast, but it needed to be done if they didn't want to be trampled. Well, if she didn't want to be trampled. This stranger seemed to have everything under control. And then his words hit her 'A worthy challenge you were, and faultless in the eyes of Calburn....'

It made sense to her now - why he was so unfazed by her threat, why he was so strong and fearless against the boar, and why he gave such an interesting response to her being an acolyte. She had to have been stupid for not seeing it before, she was face to face with the Calburn's Chosen One. She groaned softly, standing to reclaim her arrows that had embedded them in the beast's side, "Thank you, and very... brave work on your part grappling the beast. I just realized I didn't catch your name before." she sent him a pointed look, as if to say with his extended title as acolyte

Aegon smiled as she gave him the look, seems she had figured it out. He rose from the boar and walked a few steps to find his sling and after picking it up he turned to look Nyxiana in the eye. "I am Aegon Calderan, Son of Jethro, And acolyte Of Calburn God Of Justice and War." He put the sling back in his belt pocket and gestured north indicating that he was ready to continue. "Forgive me for not introducing myself sooner, there are many enemies of the Calderan's in the world and since I have no children, many see me as a way to end the bloodline permanently." His smile returned and he dusted himself off casually.
spacient spacient

How delightful, Nyx sighed, feeling conflicted for a moment as she listened to him. On one hand, she was irritated that he wouldn't just come out and say who he was, but on the other hand, she was ready to keep that a secret herself not too long ago. She didn't blame him, even if it was irritating. She didn't care about his family issues either, she came from an insignificant hermit family across the nation, and her own fate was sealed because of her pure love for nature. Still, if he wanted to keep his name quiet, so be it. She replaced one arrow in her quiver, brushed a piece of hair from her face, and began walking again, "Well, Sir Calderan, your secret is safe with me and these woods."

As nyx continued walking Aegon followed behind her. He did his best to keep up but she was a much better bushwhacker than he was. He was excited at the prospect of the demon, but more so at traveling with another acolyte. He had never met another, though he had heard stories about their power and prowess. Granted he knew from personal experience that the rumors were a little more than just stories. "So does a acolyte of Dyraam just handle things in the wilderness? Or is it more all encompassing?" His tone was pretty casual as if he had no worries left in the world.
spacient spacient

Nyx couldn't help but smile a little bit at his question. This wasn't the first time she had met another acolyte - she had previously met the acolyte to the God of Knowledge and Discovery, who had exchanged similar questions about each other's devotions. To be fair, they could do a lot of whatever they wanted, the gods trusted them to remain devoted to them and help the common man, "Well, I handle a lot of situations like this - smite the dangerous creature. Sometimes I take care of more mundane things, like help a poor farmer's crops grow. I just try to help people. So, does the acolyte of Calburn mediate wars or fight whatever dangerous human or beast that comes his way?"

Aegon grinned, helping farmers crops seems dyraam was a bit more nurturing than his patron. "Something like that, Calburn doesn't exactly tell me what to do, more so he expects me to do what's right. I pick sides in wars, accept challenges from anyone and everyone, and kill whatever needs killing. Apparently if I do a good enough job I get to be a soldier in his army, which means I get to come back one day after I die to help fight in the battle of the end of the world." He said the last part as if he didn't believe it very much, the scepticism dripped in his voice. "It's kinda fun, but it's not as if I really communicate with him very much."
spacient spacient

"The Gods don't really do much now, which is why we're here. But, I try to commune with Dyraam in the ways that I can," she wasn't wrong, though actually saying it aloud some people who weren't in the know about the God situation would think she was being blasphemous. Out here, just the two of them, it wouldn't matter so much, "Well, if that happens, good luck to you." she skepticism in his tone wasn't lost on her

Last edited:
Aegon grinned reassuringly. "perhaps if we carry on cleaning up the world they will become more vocal, and if not...well its hard not to like this job" his grin persisted despite his occasional stumbling over roots and rocks. When his grin finally faded he seemed to straighten up a bit. "there is something powerful nearby, and this time it isnt you." his hand fell to the sword on his hip but he did not draw it merely resting his hand on the fox head on its pommel.
spacient spacient

Agent23 Agent23

Nyx could feel it, that cold gaze of her enemy on her. Its aura surrounded them, and the darkness she felt was almost suffocating. It sent a little shiver on her arms. A part of her wanted to immediately start a ring of fire around her, but she knew how dangerous that would be. The last thing they wanted would be a wildfire blazing around them as they fought a demon. She saw movement up in the trees, and she drew back her bow, waiting for a clearer shot, "Show yourself, demon," she muttered quietly as her eyes scanned her surroundings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back