• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Kiki's Delivery Service - inspired RP

Magnolia

It's always tea time
Hello!

• Magnolia here. I'm new-ish to this site and very recently reintroduced to the world of RP. Last year when I created this account I fully intended to use it to, you know, write with all you lovely people, but then I suppose that thing called Life happened because I never managed to get started. I hope to remedy that ASAP.

Last edited:
I'm interested, I loved kiki's delivery service! Although it isnt my all time favorite ghibli film I still love the idea.

Woo hoo! People!
SheepKing SheepKing I'm glad you think so! I hope it'll be fun. What am I talking about? We're going to make it awesome.
ClownPope ClownPope Welcome! It's totally cool if Kiki isn't your favorite. No judgement or flames here. This is a safe zone. Kiki is just particularly nostalgic for me, but to tell the truth I watch Howl's Moving Caslte and Spirited Away more frequently.
Neon Valkyrie Neon Valkyrie I hunted down the original DVD just for that song. The movie isn't the same with the song Disney substituted. Anyway, hi!

And hey, while we're here, if you all could tell me a little about yourselves just to get a touch more acquainted, that'd be cool. What genres do you typically like to RP? What's your favorite Ghibli film?
Are you reading anything exciting right now? And, just so I know how to refer to you all, would you mind letting me know which pronouns you use?

I tend to bounce between Realistic/Modern (college/twenty-something slice of life stories, travel, superheroes), Fantasy (fairy tales, unique systems of magic or "domesticated" magic are my favorite devices), and Sci-fi (space travel mainly). Those are my go-to's, but I'm not opposed to a great Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra RP either. You already know which Ghibli film I like the most. Currently, I'm reading Outlander, A Gentleman in Moscow, and I'm listening to the audiobook of Children of Blood and Bone. Folks, if you like fantasy, read Children of Blood and Bone. It is phenomenal. Listen to it if you can. The narrator, Bahni Turpin, is incredible. Lastly, I am cis female - feel free to use she/her for me!

RP Business
I'm about to go to bed, but I'll be back tomorrow evening with a character sheet for you folks. Sweet dreams, all!

Last edited:
Magnolia Magnolia Yus, Disney has treated the Ghibli movies kinda terribly. Nothing-NOTHING-in my life has upset me more than when I heard the Disney release title song for My Neighbour Totoro ... nothing.

Oh, sure. Hullo, I'm Neon, I'm from western Canada. When it comes to RP genres, I like a bit of everything, but often prefer a dash of the supernatural, or a horror element. I also love a good mystery, and I've been craving a superhero RP lately, but I've never been in anything Ghibli-inspired before. *Sigh* ... My Neighbour Totoro, but only because it's the first one I ever saw. I love all the high-fantasy ones though! Buckets of tears. Last animated film that made my face puffy was "Your Name", and I recommend it soooo much. I am a lesbian, but call me whatever you like as long as it will get my attention.

And sweet ... morning, I suppose, since you're already asleep ... or awake ... now.

Alrighty, Howdy! I'm Ajax or you can call me Jax Or lately I've been rather partial to J.J. but any of them is fine. My favorite studio ghibli movie is Howls moving castle, I use to have the biggest crush on howl as a kid tbh. For Rp genres I tend to lean more toward realistic ones, but I love mild fantasy elements and supernatural stuff Being a secular witch Irl. Mysteries and horror are also some of my faves. Also Superhero ones are rad especially since I've been watching boku no hero academia recently, who doesn't love cool people with cool powers? Right now I'm reading "The cat who lived high" By Lilian Jackson Braun, Its an entire series about a reporter and his two siamese cats and they are all mystery novels. I love them so much! I'm Trans Masc but also gender nonconforming I guess thats the best way to explain it idk I feel weird about gender so -shrug- Use either he/him or they/them pronouns for me please!

Also have a lovely night/morning! lol

_Line 213 _Line 213 Hi there! Thanks for dropping in! I am still accepting, not to worry.
Ticci Toby Rogers Ticci Toby Rogers Welcome! How’s it going?
ClownPope ClownPope It’s very nice to meet you! I remember picking up one of those mystery books way back in elementary school. Are they still being published? Amazing. Thanks for letting me know about your pronouns! I’ll use They/Them for you.

This is awesome. Looks like there are about 4 interested people. Character sheet is coming later today. That will serve as everyone’s official application. Getting excited!

I'd be interested as well if you're still accepting people!

This was my favorite ghibli film as well. When I was a kid, I used to play the vcr tape so much it broke ;-;

Ariel Ariel A fellow Kiki lover! Yay! You're very welcome here. When the character applications go up, feel free to fill one out!

To anyone else who might be interested, feel free to apply as well! I was hoping for just one other person to show up, but now it looks like we'll have a proper little group. I'll still want to keep the group small as this is my first RP in years, but I'll accept partners based on compatibility rather than a first-come first-served basis.

Have a lovely Monday, all!

Is there any information on the setting / location available for character-building purposes, or should we just roll with it being Miyazaki's usual 30s-40s vaguely European sort of setting for right now?

_Line 213 _Line 213 Hi there! Thanks for dropping in! I am still accepting, not to worry.
Ticci Toby Rogers Ticci Toby Rogers Welcome! How’s it going?
ClownPope ClownPope It’s very nice to meet you! I remember picking up one of those mystery books way back in elementary school. Are they still being published? Amazing. Thanks for letting me know about your pronouns! I’ll use They/Them for you.

This is awesome. Looks like there are about 4 interested people. Character sheet is coming later today. That will serve as everyone’s official application. Getting excited!
I'm doing well thank you! Excited!

_Line 213 _Line 213 Excellent question! You're on the right track. Instead of the modern world we see in Kiki's Delivery Service, I'd actually like to borrow elements of setting from Miyazaki's interpretation of Howl's Moving Castle. I like to think of this setting as a pseudo-Edwardian steampunk kind of world. We can, of course, modernize it a little so our characters have more freedom of dress and speech, but I'd like for the setting to feel magical as well.

Notes about Setting
  • While no royalty reside in this city, there is a strong aristocracy whose whims and fancies greatly influence the rest of the city's affluent residents.
  • Technology such as automobiles, trains, airships, telephones, and radios exist (at an early 1900s level of development). Television, cell phones, and computers do not.
  • This city exists in an alternate world similar to but completely different than the one we live in (and even than the one Kiki lives in). While the setting is European-inspired, I'd like to think it is more ethnically and culturally diverse than what we've thus seen in Ghibli films. Try to not bring in real cultures by calling your character Chinese or Pakistani or what have you, because those countries don't exist in this world. Please do feel free to pull inspiration from cultures outside of Europe or Japan though.
  • I'd like to build upon the Edwardian feel of this city. It's home to old wealth and families that have held extensive property and lofty titles for generations, a solid middle class of professionals and artisans, and a struggling lower class who work to keep the city running. There is a definite social hierarchy (a la Downton Abbey). Our characters, as young witches and wizards in training, carry some status due to their magical abilities, but not much. They are still young and have yet to prove themselves.
  • The city/town/village/hut-in-the-forest or wherever your character comes from is entirely your own. Make it what you will, keeping in mind the kind of technology that does/doesn't exist and the prevailing social hierarchy.

Here are some images for inspiration:
This is actually concept art from Tangled - it's gorgeous though, isn't it? It captures more of that fantasy feeling I'm looking for.
c1b181db9439e61f3e57a8448f70e3c7.jpg
I'm not sure who the artist is or what this place is, but I like the whimsical feel of the architecture.
3860ac92666b2bb5ea3f20bb77763d8b.jpg
Here is another street that could exist in this city.
8bc8c6caf683bb41194b5906b4b770d7.jpg
This is by an artist called owen-c on Deviantart. I like the Asian influences in this image.
1e0f757678ade85993eb71aa5d9f2a13.jpg

There may be other, darker corners of the city as well (every city has them), so keep that in mind too. I hope that helps everyone. If anyone has questions or concerns, please let me know. Also, if most of you would really, really prefer to stick with a more modern, Kiki-esque world, then I am happy to oblige with that kind of setting.

Character sheets coming up soon! Thanks so much for everyone's patience!

_Line 213 _Line 213 Excellent question! You're on the right track. Instead of the modern world we see in Kiki's Delivery Service, I'd actually like to borrow elements of setting from Miyazaki's interpretation of Howl's Moving Castle. I like to think of this setting as a pseudo-Edwardian steampunk kind of world. We can, of course, modernize it a little so our characters have more freedom of dress and speech, but I'd like for the setting to feel magical as well.

Notes about Setting
  • While no royalty reside in this city, there is a strong aristocracy whose whims and fancies greatly influence the rest of the city's affluent residents.
  • Technology such as automobiles, trains, airships, telephones, and radios exist (at an early 1900s level of development). Television, cell phones, and computers do not.
  • This city exists in an alternate world similar to but completely different than the one we live in (and even than the one Kiki lives in). While the setting is European-inspired, I'd like to think it is more ethnically and culturally diverse than what we've thus seen in Ghibli films. Try to not bring in real cultures by calling your character Chinese or Pakistani or what have you, because those countries don't exist in this world. Please do feel free to pull inspiration from cultures outside of Europe or Japan though.
  • I'd like to build upon the Edwardian feel of this city. It's home to old wealth and families that have held extensive property and lofty titles for generations, a solid middle class of professionals and artisans, and a struggling lower class who work to keep the city running. There is a definite social hierarchy (a la Downton Abbey). Our characters, as young witches and wizards in training, carry some status due to their magical abilities, but not much. They are still young and have yet to prove themselves.
  • The city/town/village/hut-in-the-forest or wherever your character comes from is entirely your own. Make it what you will, keeping in mind the kind of technology that does/doesn't exist and the prevailing social hierarchy.

Here are some images for inspiration:
This is actually concept art from Tangled - it's gorgeous though, isn't it? It captures more of that fantasy feeling I'm looking for.
c1b181db9439e61f3e57a8448f70e3c7.jpg
I'm not sure who the artist is or what this place is, but I like the whimsical feel of the architecture.
3860ac92666b2bb5ea3f20bb77763d8b.jpg
Here is another street that could exist in this city.
8bc8c6caf683bb41194b5906b4b770d7.jpg
This is by an artist called owen-c on Deviantart. I like the Asian influences in this image.
1e0f757678ade85993eb71aa5d9f2a13.jpg

There may be other, darker corners of the city as well (every city has them), so keep that in mind too. I hope that helps everyone. If anyone has questions or concerns, please let me know. Also, if most of you would really, really prefer to stick with a more modern, Kiki-esque world, then I am happy to oblige with that kind of setting.

Character sheets coming up soon! Thanks so much for everyone's patience!

I'm super interested even though I've never heard of Kiki's Delivery Service until now lmao. Buttt I do get the basic premise. I'll join if you'll have me.

Thank you all so much for your patience! This character sheet took me a lot longer to word than I anticipated. Hope it doesn't scare anyone off. Without further ado, your:

Character Application

IMPORTANT: This isn't your typical character sheet. You'll see the same or similar categories, but I'd like you to fill them out a little differently than the manner you might be used to. I won't ask for paragraphs on your character's personality, background, or physical appearance. Instead, I'd like you to write 3-5 succinct phrases that best describe those major aspects of your character. (This is actually based on the Fate RPG character creation system so if you're familiar with Fate, you'll know what to do). If you've never heard of Fate, no fear! I will have examples and explanations in the character sheet itself. You'll find code for this character sheet with tabs and formatted lists at the bottom of this post, but if you're one of them super talented coders, feel free to format your character sheet however you like (all I ask is that the text is legible and that you don't use light colors on white backgrounds). Have fun!

• Basics (Self-explanatory)
    Name:
    Gender (non-binary welcome):
    (Age): Remember, your character is 17

Personality (Significant traits and beliefs)
    To make your character stand out, think of two or three aspects that sum up your character's major traits and beliefs, like so:
    • * Never passes up a free meal
    • * Must have been a royal in a past life
    • * Flight before fight
    • * Every man for himself
    These points tell me how this character is generally likely to think and behave while still leaving plenty of room for mystery. For instance, I don't know why this character never passes up a free meal (is she frugal, cheap, starved, a glutton?), but I do know that should free food present itself, she'll probably pounce on it. I don't need to know the whys at the beginning - the fun part is when these details are revealed in the story.

Background (Significant events relating to education, upbringing, and skills)
    Here, list a few concise phrases to describe what your character has been through, be it specialized education or a memorable childhood. Examples:
    • * Failed apprentice of the Great Wizard Barnum (whose specialty was fire and pyrotechnics)
    • * Lock-picker extraordinaire
    • * Mother's favorite child
    • * Silver-tongued ingénue
    In this example, the character didn't do well in traditional training but seems to have picked up the less respectable skill of lock-picking. Interesting. She's her mother's favorite, so perhaps she's lived under the heavy burden of meeting high expectations or maybe she's been spoiled rotten. It'll be up to the writer to show us how these aspects shape this character.

Noticeable Features (Most distinctive physical features)
    This isn't a full-body photograph; this is a series of close-up caricatures of your character's best and worst features. These are the physical aspects that people find most distinctive about your character, and are therefore most frequently used to identify them. That being said, please do not include an image for your character. Some ideas:
    • * Perennially prepubescent
    • * Acne has more constellations than the sky
    • * Skin so pale it practically glows in the dark
    • * Favors the left leg
    You may of course give us a more detailed description of your character in your IC posts (please do). However, other writers should use the features you list to describe and refer to your character. Don't be afraid to highlight seemingly unattractive qualities though - the flaws are what make your character unique.

Magic (The fun bit)
    Every witch or wizard may have one magical skill (along with flying). While they may have dabbled in a variety of magic, the one they choose to specialize in is the one they almost exclusively practice. Be creative here! You are by no means confined to the three types of magic seen in Kiki's Delivery Service (flying, potion making, and fortune telling). Keep in mind, our characters are learning to perfect their craft so they can sell their services and make a living. I request that everyone please avoid fortune telling or any form of precognition.

Your character may also have an animal companion to whom they can converse. Cats are traditional but if you'd prefer a raven or an owl or a mouse, that's totally your call. No mythical creatures, I'm afraid. Exotic animals are acceptable, but if your character has a panther, then travel by broom won't be possible (unless your specific brand of magic allows it).

Skill:
    Animal Companion (species and name - optional):

Code:
[tabs][tab=Character]
[SIZE=5][U]Basics[/U] (Self-explanatory)[/SIZE]
Name:
Gender (non-binary welcome):
(Age): Remember, your character is 17

[SIZE=5][U]Personality[/U] (Significant traits and beliefs)[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][U]Background[/U] (Significant events relating to education, upbringing, and skills)[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][U]Noticeable Features[/U] (Most distinctive physical features)[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[*]* 
[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][U]Magic[/U] (The fun bit)[/SIZE]
Skill:
Animal Companion (species and name - optional):[/tab]

[tab=You]This section is meant to help me get to know you and to assess whether we would be good writing partners. Just be honest, be yourself, and fingers crossed we'll be a good match.

[size=5][u]General Info[/u][/size]
Preferred name (if something other than your screen name): 
Preferred pronouns (should I, for any reason, refer to you indirectly, I want to make sure I use pronouns you identify with):

[size=5][u]Writing Info[/u][/size]
How often do you post?
How much do you tend to write per post?
Does poor spelling/editing bother you?
Do you enjoy contributing ideas in the OOC thread?
If you won't be able to post for a long time or need to drop the RP, what would you do?

[size=5][u]Fun Info[/u][/size]
What genres of RP do you love the most?
What is your favorite Ghibli film?
What book are you currently reading?
What is your favorite food?[/tab][/tabs]

Are we putting these here, or is there going to be a separate thread created for sheets?

Last edited:
madame moiselle madame moiselle Hello! Feel free to fill out a character application!

Character Application Deadline: Monday, April 14th
Now that I've got that massive and slightly unorthodox character application up, we'll see how many of you still want to apply (hahaha). But if everyone who has expressed interest applies, then I shall review all applications by the date above. If you're just finding this Interest Check and would like to apply, feel free! I'm not ready to jump into a larger group RP yet (this being my very first in over two years), so I'll only be accepting 3 or 4 partners. I'll be sure to look at all applications carefully and will not fill spots on a first-come first-served basis.

All right. I'm sure you've all heard quite enough from me tonight. It's very late for me, so I'll just be popping off to bed. Questions, concerns, ideas - fire 'em my way. Ta for now!

_Line 213 _Line 213 If you read my previous post, please disregard! Yes, please post your character applications in this thread. For now, I'd like to keep everything together. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone!

Thanks for the clarification! Two more questions, now that I think about them:

-- Is flying restricted to brooms only like in the film, or will any light object with significant meaning do (i.e., bicycles)?

-- Drawing characters is a big thing for me; would putting things in whatever OOC chat be acceptable for whomever may decide to see it alright, since we're not putting anything on the sheet itself?

_Line 213 _Line 213 You’re very welcome! As for your questions:
— Yes, flying is restricted to brooms. However, if your character specializes in some form of magic that allows bicycles to fly, then there’s your loophole. Even if this were the case, though, your character would not be skilled enough to pull off sustained travel by flying bike in the beginning. I like how you’re thinking about magic in this world!

— After the group is finalized, yes, feel free to share your drawing in the OOC thread. I only ask that no images be used in the character applications because photographs and illustrations tend to be the most flattering versions of people, and I didn’t want any images to overshadow the unique features everyone must carefully select for their characters. Images are great references though.

_Line 213 _Line 213 Another thought: while you might not be able to make the bicycle fly magically, perhaps your character can do so mechanically. This might be a good opportunity to take advantage of the light steampunk nature of the world.

_Line 213 _Line 213 Another thought: while you might not be able to make the bicycle fly magically, perhaps your character can do so mechanically. This might be a good opportunity to take advantage of the light steampunk nature of the world.

That could be interesting; I'm looking towards a character with mechanical leanings, so I'll keep that in mind!

On that note, I should actually be done rather quickly, as strange as that may sound.

Dropping mine here, wrapped in a spoiler so that it doesn't clutter the rest of the thread.

• Basics
    Name: Marabelle Mabel

Personality
    • * Curious--but what witch isn't?
    • * Sees her magic as mundane.
    • * Problem solved, or bust!
    • * Nothing and No Thing Left Behind.

Background
    • * Craftsman father, magical mother.
    • * Yearned for (and disastrously attempted) flashier magic.
    • * Witnessed a mayoral motorcade parade as a young girl. Machines and music galore!
    • * Found uses for her magic through her father's workshop.
    • * Fixed her first thing as a freshly-minted teenager: a neighbor's bicycle.

Noticeable Features
    • * Fantastically floofy fiery hair.
    • * Skin the color of coffee and cream.
    • * Happy deer in the headlights?
    • * Slightly on the smaller side.
    • * Wistful and withdrawn posture.

Magic
    Skill: Thing Witchery -- Most witches can speak to animals, but Marabelle takes that a step further by cultivating the skill to talk to things. It's far easier to repair objects, after all, when they can tell you what's wrong. To everyone else, however, it simply looks as if she's talking to herself or needlessly pressing her ear to things. She hopes to be able to animate objects someday (hoping that such a skill would at least be something worth talking about), but her prior attempts to do so have been interesting, to put things lightly.

Animal Companion: Baxter, a happy, talkative foxhound pup, and how!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back