• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Kaizoic: Earth Reborn

Kairo visibly startled as he saw Dracon being sent into the air, and crashing into the Manor window with shattering force and volume. What the he’ll could have sent him flying back like that? Kairo turned back quickly to take a look.

What he saw behind frightened him to the core. That bloody fucking syndroid, the one that had destroyed the wall, who’d almost killed him through that third floor window had his weapons aimed at the three of them. But this time, there wouldn’t be any cover they could get to in time. He had to make a split second decision. As much as he wanted to make a run for it, Darrek was not in the condition for that. Instead, he did what he thought would be the next best thing.

“GET DOWN.” Kairo shouted, pushing down on Darrek’s shoulder to show urgency.

Time seemed to slow down on the trio’s descent to the ground. The following seconds passed long enough for Kairo to count the number of empty shells dotting the sidewalk to the manor.
JR-8 opened fire and the first of the bullets flew over them; soaring past where they previously stood. One bullet tore through Kairo’s shirt and a second scratched Rufus’s helmet on the temple.
When the three hit the ground, Rufus glanced up to see Stryx taking aim at the modified Syndroid.
The Commander hadn’t a single clue how these men wielding weapons crudely primitive compared to his and his mens’, nor how they came to be in possession of this rogue Syndroid amalgamation of other robots and machines. He recognized a few of the rusted parts; the legs were from a rough terrain Puma scout droid, the torso was from a Guardian security bot, and the weapons were salvaged from artillery mechs.
He aimed at the base of the neck, where he knew the link between the Syndroid’s data chip and the body was in order for it to be detachable. Once in sight, and taking advantage of the mechanical hybrid’s attention on the three, he squeezed the trigger and watched sparks fly from the collar of the bot’s underarmor.
Miraculously, JR-8’s focus was thwarted by a single shot from Stryx, and the robot spasmed and flailed out of control. His weapons discharged on their own through a damaged control link, and the cannon shredded the building Victor hid inside, and the cannon fired off into the mountainside.
Bazin leapt away before the bot’s weight crushed him, and watched with seething anger as his heavy weapons ace in the hole stumbled into a cluster of rubble and buried himself beneath a ton of rubble and dirt.

He was about to lead another push to keep his foes trapped in the house if it weren’t for the rumbling sounds of falling rocks coming from the mountain where the cannon shot landed.

Kairo expected to be dead once the rain of bullets finally halted. It wouldn’t be the first time in this fight that he would have thought that. During that whole ordeal, a few of the shells had gotten way to close for comfort.

But something didn’t seem to make sense. Why wasn’t there anything aimed at them again? As long as JR-8 was still alive and kicking, then he shouldn’t have stopped. At least not for this long. Kairo stood up into a crouched position to try and get a better view of what was going on. A sigh of relief came out of the man at the sight of the decommissioned JR-8. But something else seemed to be wrong as well. Why did Bazin seem so alarmed about something on the mountains. He looked up to where the enemy was looking, and found the landslide that was headed there way.

“Uhhh. Somebody have anything we can do about that?” Kairo asked, alarmed. “Anything would be appreciated.”

“GET IN!” Stryx shouted as the rest of the soldiers moved further in the house and the enemy gang retreated back to the walls as the landslide grew and shook the ground as it approached.

Kairo didn’t need any further encouragement. He stood up, supporting Darrek on the way, and went for the manor as fast as his legs would take him.

The three made it through the door just in time as the landslide plowed across the middle of Dakovis, burying JR-8 and several of Bazin’s gang in the downtown area.
Rufus stood and looked out the door at the dust-filled air coating the destruction.

Around them, the remaining four soldiers were aiming their weapons at Darrek.

Kairo pretty much physically collapsed the moment they entered the manor. His legs wobbled violently as the adrenaline finally started dying down, the pain in his hand amplifying now that they weren't in imminent danger. He leaned his weight on the door, slowly sliding down till he sat on the floor. He listened in as the rumble of the landslide slowly became deafening, before the sound began to fade away. Till nothing could be heard from outside.

He wouldn't get to much of a rest though, as Stryx's men. The people on THEIR side, aimed their weapons on Darrek. In the heat of the moment, he forgot that there were still many tensions that effected there side as well. One being the fact that Stryx and his men had never met another irokai besides Dracon. Which that encounter didn't go well.

"Wait. You don't have to point those at him." Kairo reached out, slightly annoyed. He got up to stand between the soldiers and Darrek. "He's on our side."

Rufus stood unsteadily due to his sore leg and swatted the barrel of a rifle away.
“The kid’s friendly, stooges. Lay off.” He spoke through his helmet’s speaker.

Stryx emerged from his side of the house.
“Stand down.” He ordered, and the Republic soldiers complied; albeit with suspicious glances.

Darrek was still on his stomach with his arms submitting over his head when he glanced at the staircase and saw the bloodied Dracon glaring downward on shaking legs.
Every breath he took was heavy and accompanied with a heaving growl. He was wary of the humans and was on edge.
Rufus and Stryx noticed him as well by then, and a one-sided standoff ensued with only Dracon’s breathing and the dripping blood of his cuts providing sound in the decrepit house.

The standoff did not go unnoticed to Kairo. When the only sound inside the manor was Dracon's heavy breathing, it wasn't that hard to notice. The pain in his hand becoming even more obvious as he looked at the injured irokai. Dracon looked to be in a very sorry state, and yet Kairo still couldn't help but feel tense and wary around him. There was something else as well. Kairo quickly recognized it as guilt. Guilt for causing this misunderstanding, guilt for dragging Bazin's men to him, guilt for destroying his home.

Kairo took a deep breathe. What him and Rufus did today, although unintentional, hurt many people. Damn, hurt was more then an understatement. There were many of Stryx's men laying dead on the streets who would have agreed. That fact was made all too obvious as he stared down Dracon.

After a few moments, Kairo finally gained the courage to say something. "He need's someone to treat his wounds." Kairo said, not wanting to say anything to Dracon directly.

“HE does?” One of the soldiers blurted out, stepping toward Kairo and closer to Darrek.

Dracon snapped his jaws and snarled at the man once he drew close. Shards of glass were sticking out of the bleeding Irokai’s back and shoulder, and they reflected a faint hint of light when he moved.

“Everyone calm down.” Stryx held up an arm to soothe his men. “Sergeant Garrett?”

“Aye, Commander?” One of the armored troops stepped forward.

“Take out your medical bag and put it on the ground.”

“Sir?”

“Just do it, Sgt.“ Stryx kept his gaze on Dracon. “And tell your men to move into the room next to me. I want lookouts right now.”

The officer hesitantly did as he was told, and the remaining soldiers retreated slowly to the large room on the left side of the house. Stryx, Rufus, Kairo, and the two Irokai were left in the main room.

“You two go to the other room.” Stryx pointed to the dining room opposite the one he was next to. “I want to talk.
Hunjan . . .” He pointed to Dracon.
“He can understand us, right?”

Darrek shifted. “Don’t leave me alone with him.” He gulped and glanced to the stairs, where Dracon blinked softly at his plea with a flash of sadness most likely only noticed by Kairo.

Kairo only glared at the soldier as he took a step forward, clearly not in the mood to deal with this right now. He was more than just a bit grateful when Stryx broke up the argument, forcing them out of the main room.

There was a bit of a pause as Kairo heard Darrek's plea. It was slightly saddening to hear, considering what he knew now. He turned to face Dracon, noticing the hurt that those words had caused Dracon.
"Yes sir. They can understand you." Kairo said, ignoring that for now. Family drama could wait a little longer for now. He looked down at Darrek. "Don't worry. He's in no state to hurt you." He added, before heading to said room that Stryx asked him to go.

Darrek finally stood and the two Irokai exchanged glances as the younger shifted from a combination of uncomfortableness and aches from his wounds.
When Kairo entered the room, Dracon began descending the stairs on shaking balance.

Stryx, Rufus, and Kairo were now in a vast room with a broken dining table caked in dust and cobwebs.
The Commander was standing by a burnt section of wall.

“I think I’m being denied critical information.” He said bluntly.

Kairo sat down on a chair that looked slightly less screwed up. Pinching his forehead as he listened to Stryx. He looked over at Rufus, trying to see if the other man had any clue about what to do in this situation. Before looking back at Stryx. “Sorry sir.” He said. “There were a lot of things that would have been better if you didn’t know. Before everything went to shit that is.” Kairo said. “Can’t really hide anything anymore huh?”

Rufus took off his helmet and sighed.
“Where do you want us to begin?”

“After you took off with the Cricket.” Stryx said.

“Well-“ Rufus began to recount the events of weeks ago, but a wounded Irokai stood in the entryway.
Dracon glanced among the three, and then tossed an object on the ruined table. Stryx’s damaged prosthetic thunked heavily against the wood and the Feral turned away with limping footsteps.
Darrek entered afterward with his eyes watching where their brooding host departed. In his hands was the medical bag.

“He uh . . . Just opened it and gave it to me.” The young Archo shrugged, and noticed Stryx.
“Oh . . . Am I interrupting?”

Kairo instinctively glanced down at the ring As the younger irokai entered. Suddenly that thing on his broken hand felt much more uncomfortable on his hand.

He didn’t let it bother him too much though, looking back up at Darrek. “I’m not much of a medic” Kairo said, giving off a slight smile. “But I’m sure Rufus could treat a wound. And I don’t think you’re coming in on anything.” He added, looking over at Stryx for confirmation.

Rufus nodded and excused himself. “I’ll tend to the kid. Kairo can explain everything.” He said and led Darrek to the kitchen.
A brief glimpse of their conversation could be heard on their way out.

“I wish you’d stop calling me ‘kid’.” Darrek said quietly.

“Wish in one hand, Darrek.” Rufus replied and began digging through the medical contents as they entered the adjacent room.

Stryx however, kept his eyes focused on Kairo. He had picked up his arm and began reattaching it to himself.
“I want to know everything, Hunjan.”

Kairo has expected Rufus to stay, so when the man left him and Stryx alone, Kairo couldn’t help but feel put on the spot. He looked at Stryx, pausing for a moment. There wasn’t any reason to hide anything anymore, considering there wasn’t much he could lie about without sounding more suspicious. He sighed to himself and began recounting the events where Rufus left off, telling him everything that happened. The only small detail he left behind was where Drafisl really was.

“You have to understand.” Kairo said, after explaining the situation. “This needs to be kept a secret, at least for now. For the safety of everyone.”

“That’s not my decision to make, Hunjan.” Stryx shrugged. “If my superiors want to know what we’ve learned, I am required to inform them of this. An entire race of people is not something I can just hide.”

Kairo looked like he was ready to argue with the man. He opened his mouth, but fought against that urge. The last thing he needed to do now was patronize his superior. He bowed his head down in defeat. Letting out a heavy sigh.

“Understood. Sir.” He said. “Is that everything?”

“What are we going to do about . . . You said his name was Dracon?” Stryx finished reattaching his right arm, giving it a few test flexes. The metal was slightly bent from the Irokai’s bite and the pneumatic muscle was deflated in a few spots.

Kairo had to think about that for a second. The last thing he wanted for Dracon was for him to be treated like a hostage again. They’d messed with the irokai enough today.

“Treat his wounds. And then let him slip away.” Kairo answered, sounding completely sure of himself. “He isn’t coming back to camp with us. Not in a million years”

A small sound came from upstairs, almost like a coin dropping. Then came a second, then a third and a fourth simultaneously.
One of the soldiers peeked out from the living room to glance at the stairs to try and discern the source.

“What’s that?” Darrek asked from the kitchen.

Another trio of drops and Stryx frowned.
“He’s pulling out the glass shards.” He said.

Kairo wasn’t surprised by any of that. Dracon still didn’t trust any of them, with good reason too. Besides that, he assumed that Dracon would rather Darrek get treated then himself. Still, he wanted to check up on the irokai. He wasn’t any kind of expert on medicine but with a proper medkit, he could probably do better than pulling out the shards of glass.

“Should I help?” Kairo asked.

“Is that a question?” Stryx cocked a brow and began adjusting his arm in a temporary repair.

Rufus reemerged from the kitchen with a confused look.
“I think the crazy’s got it covered, Kairo.”

Kairo didn’t seem any less convinced. Rufus’s argument was logical and sound. But yet Kairo didn’t seem to want to heed his advice.

“Eh I’ll take my chances. Besides, pulling out the glass shards doesn’t seem like a good way to treat your own wounds” He added, getting up from the decrepit chair. “Anyone got any spare supplies I can use?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back