I've got an interesting question

Would you give up your own happiness so that everybody in the world was happy?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I find this to be quite the awkward inquiry. :)

How does one lose happiness? The feeling? Well, erm, how would that work?

For a more effective questionnaire, I wish to re-phrase unto the purpose of my examination.

Would you give up your child so everybody else can be happy?

Of course, this is in view of a clear conscienced parent, not one who actively hunts the notion of murdering their child for whatever reason. Thereby, nearly all materialistic value is diminished in face of death.

It might be nihilistic, but, why save a child as its life is to be lost regardless?

The usual response is, for the sake of the 'now'.

(so many thoughts running in my mind at the moment)

Wondering if they'd feel true happiness? or a shallow shell of it? Hmm...how is happiness felt.... (so brain dead right now)

There have been those who said that they wanted me to be happy. A situation may arise where I feign my happiness for them to remain happy.

Oh yeah, if I gave up my happiness would I end up being happy by technicality because I consider myself a part of this world? Or would every single memory and trace of me be erased and then everyone would be happy?

(blah blah blah)

Very, very insightful. I never actually thought of this stuff. Let's put it this at, everybody except you would be happy. A cloud of sadness would loom over you for the rest of your life. (Gee, that sound kind of dark)

AgentFire said:
Very, very insightful. I never actually thought of this stuff. Let's put it this at, everybody except you would be happy. A cloud of sadness would loom over you for the rest of your life. (Gee, that sound kind of dark)
Oh thank you :D

Sounds like something lemony snicket would write about tho

edited!

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it would. Honestly, I think this question came from my own unhappiness. Except, my unhappiness doesn't make the world happy.

I guess the most logical way (most logical idea i thought of atm) to put it would be: I eventually become someone I never wanted to become (bigoted, shallow, superficial, hypocritical, obsequious, etc.) Cue the slow entrance of the sadness clouds. Perhaps I would be miserable because I would be in an awful cycle of constantly handicapping myself for any improvement or positive change (oh my god senior year of high school). And all those who have loved and liked me have passed on, remembering me for who I was in the past.

And I have no idea how the world would experience happiness after I became someone who I never wanted to become.

Also, I just realized that your profile picture may or may not have been homestuck inspired

Maybe there was a possibility of if everyone was happy, you'd be happy too?

oops nvm that question above contradicts the premise of your question

Now i'm rambling

EDITED due to typos

Pine said:
My answer is no because I'm a heartless bitch and that's it.
You wouldn't be unhappy so I could be happy Pine?!?!

It's okay, I said no as well. You're screwed ^-^

Atom said:
You wouldn't be unhappy so I could be happy Pine?!?!
It's okay, I said no as well. You're screwed ^-^
I'm going to hold onto the small sliver of happiness that I have with greedy, grubby little hands.

But can you imagine how boring the world would be if everyone was perpetually happy?

And you can't feel pain if you're always happy.

Can you imagine all the babies that would be ramming their heads into walls?

Then they would die and everyone would still be chipper.

So the entire human race is wiped out.

Besides, misery is the only thing that makes happiness so rewarding.

But putting all of that logical garb aside, I still wouldn't do it.

Interesting question, indeed. And rather thought provoking. I had to do a mini-debate right there to come up with a decent answer. ._.

If one should actually make such noble sacrifice, how long will this world-wide happiness last?

It's sadness and the darker emotions of the world that makes happiness a precious thing to be felt. There are times that one should deal with emotions for hard-earned lessons to be learned and remembered. How will one deal with the regret of their mistakes and keep on striving to change for the better if happiness is all that is there?

How can one appreciate how it feels to be happy if such emotion was always there and taken for granted?

Sure, I can sacrifice my happiness for a few selected people, even without guarantee that it will last for a long while. But for the rest of the world, and for permanent purposes, no.

Just my random thoughts regarding this. o;

Wow, that's very thought provoking. I'm glad I could help provoke thoughts. I honestly think I'd not make the sacrifice for reasons you pointed out.

I think that just because everyone is happy, doesn't mean everything is all good and dandy by normal standards. Like, hypothetically I could punch a ton of people in the face and be totally happy while doing it and totally happy after. Bad things wouldn't disappear, but everyone would still be happy. Would everything be okay if everyone was happy? They couldn't possibly be upset.

I could potentially give up my happiness to gain a world where, despite the fact that I'm never going to be truly happy again, I could do whatever the fuck I wanted because no one would have a problem with it. They'd be happy. However, that could also be dangerous. People who refrain from committing immoral acts because it makes others unhappy and therefore would get them into trouble would be able to do whatever they wanted too. A 100% happy world wouldn't necessarily be 100% peaceful.

Would violence be okay if everyone was happy and therefore no one was hurt (obviously not in the physical sense)?

But I think no, I wouldn't give up my happiness to make the rest of the world happy. Whether or not it would or could turn out like I talked about above doesn't really matter to me, what the answer to my question about violence is doesn't matter to me either.

I wouldn't destroy myself for the sake of other people if I wasn't getting something worth it in return, and if I couldn't even enjoy being allowed to do whatever I wanted there's absolutely no point in giving potential happiness up.

While in this scenario not giving your happiness up doesn't guarantee happiness whatever your definition, at least there'd be hope.

Naaaaaaaaaahhhh.

EDIT: Yes. I'd first attempt to get the attention of the media for my sacrifice. With the power of being a public hero, I would incite a personal rebellion to take control of Russia and become the authoritarian leader.

From there, I would shatter everyone's optimism by launching a nuke at every other country. If it doesn't destroy them, then it'll ruin their happiness. Through making everyone happy, I have gained a position to take it all away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back