• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice It Is the Tide, Act 1

• lin_bei_fong___outside_the_laww_by_attyca-d54smlm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be made pretty later, and refined

Thousand Screaming Mask

Chosen of the Demon City

Concept: The Conquering King

Rank 4

Lake 7

River 2

Chi Replenishment 2

Chi Aura 2/2

Chi Pool N11 I1

Chi Threshold 11

Skill Bonus +10

Joss

- Chivalrous 1

- Malicious 6

Scholar

Learning

Understanding The World 255

Secret Art of Prediction 256

Passions & Inspirations 245

Extraordinary Courtier Techniques 252

Curses and Influences 259

Extraordinary Daoist Techniques 266

Awareness 5

Confidence 5

Crafting

Finesse 5

Hardiness 5

Inspire 5

Leaning 10

Medicine

Might

Perform

Politics 5

Ride

Stealth

Survival

Tactics

Wu Wei 10

Ba 5

Chan 5

Hen 3

Si 3

Bao 3

Xin 3

Kuan 1

Zhong 1

Yi 1

Chou 1

Flaw:

One-eyed

Chi Conditions [WIP]

Behavioural:

Sky-Twisting Challenger

Mask cannot accept the authority of another until it has been tested and their power proven.

Mutation:

Green Sun Shard

Light Armor +5 Chi Threshold

External Kung Fu

Ravenous Wings Style

Speed +5

Footwork +10

Strike +5

Damage +10

Block +0

Toughness +5

Internal Kung Fu

Removing Concepts

Unstained Lotus Mastery

Drifting Cloud Step

Golden Skin

Battle-Scholar’s Insight

Heinz I'm unculturedor

Rank 4 Courtier

River 2

Lake 7

Joss:

3 Malicious

0 Chivalrous

10 Confidence

10 Inspire (Flim flam) (1d)

5 Hardiness

5 Politics

5 Ride

5 Survival

5 Tactics

5 Wu wei

WORDLINESS (Wood)

2 Benevolence

3 Individualism

PROPRIETY (Fire)

2 Loyalty

5 Ruthlessness

FIDELITY (Earth)

2 Force

1 Ferocity

BALANCE (Metal)

3 Righteousness

3 Revenge

PERSEVERANCE (Water)

1 Honor

3 Obsession

Whip (Flexible)

Best blocked

Flood: range 1Z

Blue Flame Dragon [EKF]

Speed +15

Footwork +5

Strike +0

Damage +0

Block +0

Toughness +15

Transcendent Desert Creature [iKF]

1: Sand-Slip Trick

+5 Footwork

2: Dust Devil Guidance (2d)

+10 Strike

3: Sand Funeral (3d)

As RotDK, minimum fistful

Pitch and Close (Adolf and Otto)

Baseline weapon: Ranged

Fate: Confront their makers in an orgy of Oedipal violence

Glory:

5: +5 Damage

20: The Pledge: Channel 3m to make an area attack.

25: +5 Strike

30: The Turn: Pitch and Close are now a Ranged/Massive special weapon.

35: +5 Damage becomes +10

50: The Prestige: Channel 3m to let Malicious Joss spent this round apply to rippling rolls.

Infernal essence spent to activate these special powers counts double.

Secret Arts of the Courtier

Quick Work Passions (3d)

Distracting Conundrum (3d)

Heart-Breaking Words (5d)

Auspicious Navigation of Courts (3d)

These three are complete enough to jump in, though polishing up will surely continue. Welcome to the game.

Well, @Random Word has introduced Chi Conditions before I was planning to explain them. You folks go ahead and look at the examples there for ideas, and I'll explain more once I have more to explain.

However, there's no -X part. The (Essence) minor Chi Conditions a secret artist is supposed to be maintain without sickening their spirits are just situational benefits. If you're not maintaining the conditional, you simply lose the boost. And while I was going to make everyone count their Essence Cultivation as one of the starting two, those are too delightful. I can't ask RW to ditch either, so now you all get extra goodies. And so do your opponents. Bon chance.

But RW, if you make them Solar-aspected, no matter how well you've done the associations, it pulls them out of the elemental interactions that secret arts use and renders them untouchable by you or anyone else. I can't bend quite that far. We'll call Judge-General's Integrity a Perseverance Inspiration. Metal is control and rigidity, and it calls the exalted to fulfill their appointed duty. Should The Sun Not Rise is definitely a Balance Inspiration, then. Water is utterly responsive, and for the exalted, this often means destroying what offends creation by existing. That Wyld Hunt leader with the spear is a perfect water-aspect.

Ah, okay, I'll change the elements. I had assumed our great curse replacements were meant to be paired hyperactivities/weaknesses of our Exalt aspect, but I hadn't considered that would make them uninteractable. Is it possible to have a Solar aspected chi condition? Or did I make a mistake, and those were meant to be Chi Deviations? The difference is a bit difficult to grasp. Deviations don't seem to have mechanical impact, but often seem more like mutations?

Oh, it says it right there. They're required for respiring Solar Chi. Okay, so I do need at least one Solar Chi Deviation.

Yes. Either a behavioral taboo, or some physical manifestation of having the sun inside you. Maybe you're evolving into a Super Saiyan.

Paired conditions are usually of opposing elemental association, like... When you drink heavily, you are filled with a boundless joy that enhances breath (fire), but the booze irritates your large intestine and makes it hard to engage in strenuous activity (metal). So when you play the part of being a sloppy, happy drunk, you regain more chi. On the other hand, unless you act out the cramping and pain, you take a penalty to all your actions.

That last bit, I want to stress for the sake of grokment. There are two ways to look at LotW bonuses and penalties, and why they're so conditional.

1) It's not that your pain and bloating causes a penalty to everything you do. It causes a penalty to everything except being in pain and discomfort. So as long as that's a big part of what you're doing, it's not penalized!

2) Your gut is churning and twisting, and that's going to penalize your character. As a player, you have the choice of letting that penalty be expressed as a constraint on your roleplaying or on your dice. Totally up to you!

In both cases, you have the ability to completely avoid reduced success chances. But that means opting, instead, to handle that penalizing yourself, by changing the choices you and your character make. Bonuses work the same way: you can think of them as being better at doing a specific thing, or as being better when you are doing that thing. There's no difference, to the system. Cause is effect is cause. The tao is in you at all times, except when you look for it. Embody the part of the narrative your actions create.

So I probably can't just invent paired inspirations on myself, and that was a mistake on my part? Those are both behavioural, should they be my two Solar Deviations, then? That would mean they had no effect except to allow me to respire Solar Chi while I was in accordance with them?

Actually, no, you're fine. Anyone who knows a secret art knows how to induce/identify conditions related to that art. There's nothing in the system to say you can't discover your own strong sense of duty, proving that you must be more effective when acting on it. That would be the equivalent of a doctor prescribing you a regimen of strong drink in order to awaken your liver, stoke your joyous fire chi, and cause a breath bonus.

The usual limiter on this, since that doctor could just as easily go be a drunk themselves, is that simple chi conditions tend to turn into paired conditions as the body and spirit struggle to return to balance. Overindulgence in drink to keep that breath bonus going will eventually degrade your gut. That bolstering sense of duty (metal) will, in time, lead to overzealous rage (a wood condition).

But since the same art that created the original condition should be able to soothe it away just before the imbalance bites you in the ass, then recreate it right away, the ST is advised to simply allow secret artists (or all characters) to maintain a number of beneficial chi conditions equal to what we're calling their Essence score. Your two above are perfectly suitable.

I think part of the confusion can be cleared up with this:

Breath bonuses/penalties adjust your *normal* respiration. As you wrote your conditions, you'll respire 3m/round unaspected, when in combat with a creature of darkness.

Deviations, on the other hand, are related to your non-normal chi. Developing any induces them, and continuing to get your +1m/round requires them. Mutations are always active, but that's its own problem. Behaviors are something you could theoretically give up on, but tend to be part of your characterization anyway.

So keep those two conditions. They don't interact with being a solar except through the mediating influence of your particular solar's personality. Everyone can have two just like them.

@Grey - You have your Deviation(s) called Conditions. You'll want to change that, since Conditions are totally things you can take a pair of. Think of them as ascending destinies.

Sorry, I clearly misunderstood that difference.

I shall correct it when I sober up because drunk Grey should not be allowed near mechanics or any mechanically generous game.

[although in person Grey is a vastly better GM with a bottle of Merlot in him]

enter_the_void_by_kaiquesantos-d85vett.jpg

Diax Gray is a scrapper, a thug, a lean young man of obdurate survival - the kind fostered by Nexus poverty. The Sidereals missed the warnings from the pattern spiders, and thus Diax did not spend his formative years chatting with Lytek and Ahlat, but instead bonding with criminal gangs for survival.

Ironically, when the nonplussed Sidereals finally arrived to collect him, Diax felt satisfied. As if a long-missed need was being fulfilled. The Chosen, was not of Battles, but of Endings though. He took to his job, which he believed was simple enough. Deal with the enemies of Creation, from behind the scene.

Except he really didn't care much for the office politics. Or the factions. They named him Diax Grey, for his stark disregard of the Bronze and the Gold. Both were missing the point. The Bronze Faction's plans weren't working - after all, they weren't supposed to. Neither did the Gold - they claimed to bring back the Solars, but wanted to play kings behind the throne just as much.

Eventually, Diax got tired of the stress, and decided to get out of Yu-Shan. He ended up picking An Teng, seeing a place that could be the foothold for a stronger Creation, and with Exalted he could get behind.

• Core Stats

Lake: 7

River: 2

Essence/Chi Replenishment: 2

Maximum Essence/Chi Aura: 2

Maximum Skill Bonus: +10

Essence/Chi: 12 (Cultivation 6)

Essence/Chi Threshold: 12 (17 vs. Physical)

Joss: Chivalrous x4, Malicious x2

Archetype: Warrior

Breath Skill: Hardiness

Disadvantages

Bureau Renegade

Exalted Technique: Master of Destinies

May spend 2 motes/chi after Floating Dice to the River to reroll remaining Lake dice.

Hey, Blackadder. Is it your plan to take PAoC as a Sidereal style, or as a Metal one with a more suitable name? It looks as though you did your cultivation math assuming it was a neutral style, which wasn't the intention. I get 10m+9 neutral, and either 1m+5 Sidereal or 2m+5 Metal. I'm down for either, in this case. And really, who doesn't like more breath?

I decided to just treat the Chi I had as neutral for simplicity sake. Besides, you decreed this variant would not be a full-all techniques style for game purposes.

WIP

• Winding Endless River

Concept: Wanderer

948877a3622825e747cdf5ed6b83681c.jpg

It is a profoundly different system, yes. Tons and tons of tactical depth, enough to cause option paralysis really fast. But eventually, that just becomes more angles you can approach problems from

This is an Abyssal built with exactly the same constraints as all of you.

But he has been rolling so, so, so badly. Like, there's a 94% chance of rolling a set on seven dice. Failing to twice in a row is 272:1 odds.

wait

wait, who?

Haha, you're in the wrong thread SLS. I was talking about Winding Endless River. She looks like an Essence 2 enlightened mortal at the moment. She doesn't have any Exalted features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back