• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Ryken City] Questions of Property!

saxon

One Thousand Club
Hello everyone, this RP is set in the world of Isekai Hell; you can find information about the world here.

This Rp follows Kellum and his law office after receiving This letter and a visitor who comes to the law office.
Setting:
Location(s): Kellums Law Office, Ryken, Ryke
Time of Day: 11:00 AM
Weather: The sun was high in the sky there was a cold breeze.
Goal:
Interactions/Mentions: Elvario Elvario
Notes: Please link your character Sheet in your first post

Kellum.png

Kellum sat in his office as he leaned back in his chair. It had been a little while since he got the chance to sit in the office. It was recently finished so there hadn't been a whole lot of time to spread the news of this office. He also knew that in this country the nobles tended to reside over the courts in most matters. Which was something Kellum was intrigued to change if he could. Though that would require some time and effort to change but it was something to at least work toward when he wasn't adventuring.

Letting out a sigh he sat spun around to face the window that was in his office that showed the small courtyard in the back and the stone wall. The place hadn't been too bad to find and modify especially with the second level being the living quarters. He and Chisato were teaching the young girl from the village they had recused to read and write over the last couple of weeks. A door swung open as Chisato entered the room holding a letter in her hand to which she brought over to the desk and placed it down.

While she wasn't proficient with it yet she was making progress. He was satisfied to have her act as the front desk person. Kellunew female oc.pngm looked up at Chisato as he took the letter and opened it. "Well, what is this someone asking for help or something?" Kellum inquired as Chisato walked over to the one of the cabinets for a moment before going to the back wall with the bookcase. On the shelves was several law books of various nations though they didn't get too much into those as of yet.

"Not sure though its sent from a Baroness so its probably something important. Though we haven't had many cases recently so it might be best to work on spreading our name around," Chisato replied as she didn't bother to look over her shoulder to speak. "Besides we do have bills to pay and among other things being better known will help," Chisato concluded with a simple shrug.

Kellum took the letter and read the contents, before setting the paper aside. "The Baroness wants to see if there is a legal way to not return slaves to the Eastern Empire should they be found in her territory. But I think we can do our research and then we can arrange a meeting at a later date once we have an idea," Kellum stated as he stood up and walked over to the bookcase pulling out the Ryke book of laws.

At the front of the law office, there was a waiting room with a desk with a young girl no older than 12, she had dark brown hair and was seated at the desk. By the door, the entrance was several couches for anyone to sit on if they were waiting to be seen. The walls were lined with pictures and various other decorations to add to the room.
law office, anime, fantasy, room s-3036549019.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Zahrah Fiore

Zahrah, being an extremely diligent and careful researcher, had found yet another venue through which to hone their craft. You see, in making some bandits into good folk, they realised that THE LAW was a venue that separated good folk from bad folk. Or was it? Clearly, even those that broke the law might turn good, yet those that didn't break the law could be bad. Or could they? Yes. In Zahrah's hard-coded algorithms, which recently became a cotton brain, they were now trying to rationalise the usage of law in bringing about happiness in the world. Did laws bring happiness? Did happiness bring laws? Those were the real questions!

So, when they randomly stumbled across something called 'Law Office', they knew that destiny awaited them. After all, this was a place that studied law as well, right? Perfect! They happily rushed into the building. “Greetings! It is I, Zahrah Fiore! Researcher of happiness and currently exploring all the venues of the law!” Their self-introduction was as cheerful as always. After all, a good first impression was half the work done.

That's when they realised they were staring at a pretty young girl. Hmmm. Now that's an issue. They did some quick thinking. Humans were only considered fully operation after the age of 18. This person did not look like she was 18. That meant that their research would have to be conducted with someone incapable of working at full capacity! Oh, no, the horror! The terror! That wouldn't do, not at all! “Oh, no, I'm so sorry little miss, but I'm afraid your qualifications won't meet my standards. Please, please, don't take it personal. I'm sure you'll meet them in a few years, but I've got to find an adult to help me, as I'm going to research some very delicate stuff and I need a fully functional adult to guide me through it!”

That's when they heard some voices from a door behind the girl. “Aha! Those voices sound like fully-functional humans. I'll go ask them! It's been nice meeting you, little miss~ ” They said, walking past the child labourer young receptionist to barge into Kellum's office. Upon entering, they introduced themselves once more. “Greetings! It is I, Zahrah Fiore! Research of law-induced happiness principles!” They then took in the two people there, instantly like what they saw more. “Oh my, you two look absolutely gorgeous together, like a match made in heaven. You're alike enough and different enough in all the right ways. Yes, I'd say a paring of a handsome bloke and gorgeous lady such as yourselves is truly a work of art~ They'd open up worth some [Smooth Talker A] to get things rolling. Then again, considering how their cotton brain worked, they were very genuine in their words.

Smooth Talker – Character Grade A, Appraisal A, Empathy B, Insight B, Performance [Acting] F, Persuasion B, Seduction B, Languages [Common, Terran, Beastial, Sylvan, Monster, Analog] – Character combines whatever (meta)knowledge they can find out about someone with persuasive, empathic and seductive smooth-talking and acting in an attempt to make others act according to their will. Character speaks to them in whichever (of the main) languages they are most comfortable with. - Grade A – 5 Post Cooldown

Kellum.png

The girl at the desk looked up as Zorah walked into the office. "Oh hello-" was all Sarah could get out before Zahrah started to speak. Needless to say, Sarah was very much confused about what the girl was saying. The only thing she understood was the girl's name and the title she gave. But the rest of the things she said was completely lost on the girl. "Wait Miss Zahrah you can't just go into the back offices!" Sarah stated but it was already too late to stop the cotton ball.

Kellum was about to speak to Chisato when Zahrah came in and introduced herself to the two. Though she didn't get a chance to really react as the girl went on. Though when she mentioned a match made in heaven the two looked at each other for a moment. Chisato was the first one to speak, "Oh...well we are really not a couple or anything like that," Chisato chuckled as the slightest hint of blush appeared on her cheeks.
new female oc.png

Kellum looked over at the woman as she scratched the back of his head a little confused about what was going on as he set the book down at the desk. "Uh are you looking for help or is there something we can do for you?" Kellum inquired as he wasn't quite sure why the girl was here though they didn't have a real customer right now so he didn't find any harm in see what she wanted. .

mention: Elvario Elvario

Last edited:
57I1M3O.png

YUGO
After coming to the realization that he was stuck in a new world, Yugo's priorities shifted. He didn't know what kind of life awaited him here. It might be better than his old home, but it could also be worse. There were too many uncertainties for him to make any concrete plans. He had to focus on the present. One thing was certain: He needed money and lots of it to survive. Without any former careers or real talent to rely on, Yugo wasn't sure on what he was going to do next. Based on his initial assessment of those around him, it was a fair assumption that he was in an isekai. The world he was brought to was some kind of otherworldly place similar to the anime and manga that he was far too familiar with. Relying on that premise, Yugo believed that the only options available were to become an adventurer, or sell himself into slavery. Contemplating on these thoughts, Yugo became overwhelmed with worry and panic. As far as he knew, he had zero to no talent when it came to adventuring, and he certainly did not want to be a slave of any kind. However, after the wave of dread that consumed him had passed, Yugo realized a third option that he could take. He would have to get a job. Yet another problem arose from this revelation—Yugo knew nothing about how to find work in a strange land. This was a whole new world for him, one where he knew nothing about the culture and customs of the people who lived here. With no knowledge or experience in finding employment, Yugo sat quietly and thought.

"What should I do?" He asked himself. "How can I make money? How will I find a job, and what's the best way to go about it?"

With these questions swirling around in his head, Yugo looked up at the sky and let out a sigh. He then closed his eyes and took deep breaths. In order to calm himself down, he visualized himself in his old world. After doing so, he made a decision.

"I'll just ask the people around me."

It was settled; Yugo would simply start by asking those nearby. It seemed like the most logical choice since they were all strangers to him anyway. Asking someone else could save him time and effort, which meant that if he failed, it wouldn't be a complete loss.

He wandered the streets and eventually found himself in front of a law office. Judging from its exterior, it appeared new and relatively big, but when he entered, Yugo only saw a young girl. Despite her extremely young age, she gave the air of a professional. Though being one who usually judges others based on their appearance, Yugo was aware enough to know that in establishments like this, he had to remain tactful and watch the way he spoke. This was the first lesson he learned in the real world, and he wasn't about to learn it again.

"Excuse me," Yugo said politely.

Even though Yugo was hesitant to speak to her because she was so young, he decided to put his worries aside since he was the one in need of something. If he was careful, this could be the answer to his problems. He then continued.

"Hello, my name is Yugo. I arrived here in this world recently, and I'm looking for a job." Yugo bowed awkwardly and deeply to show respect. While waiting for a response, Yugo couldn't help but notice voices coming from the door behind the young girl. He couldn't make out the words, but it sounded like a conversation between a man and a woman or two.

Last edited:
Zahrah Fiore
Mentions: Kellum/Chisato saxon saxon

It was already too late. They'd entered the forbidden grounds. Come to think of it, why did the kid call out they couldn't just go into the back offices? They just did and they were still doing perfectly well. Ah, it must be the innocent concerns of childhood. “Don't worry little miss, I managed to get in and I'm still doing perfectly fine~” They'd call back, making sure not to have the kid needlessly worry about them. That'd just be mean.

Zahrah was shocked, however, at the next revelation. Utterly shocked. “What!?! No way! You're not a couple? You really should be! I rarely meet two people that fit together so naturally. It'd be a total waste for you two not to be a couple! It's wrong what they say, by the way. They always act like two halves make a whole, but that's an utter lie! Totally! You see, that'd assume that anyone without someone else is just a 'half' person, which they aren't! Everyone is great in their own ways! However, however! If two people fit together so amazingly, it's not two halves of a whole, but it is two wholes that form into an even nicer whole! Yes, I'd say that it's not a case of one plus one equals two, but a case of one plus one equals ten when two people that match perfectly find each-other!”

After stating their research-based opinion on the matter, they suddenly realised they were asked what they were doing here. What were they doing here again? They'd kind-off forgotten. Oh, wait! No they, remembered! “It's the LAW! My friends! I must know how the law can aid or prevent happiness. Please, allow me to study law-based happiness principles in this law office. I'm sure there will be much to learn here!”

Kellum.png

Sarah was still trying to wrap her brain around what the girl that came in had said to her about not being at peak efficiency. "What does that even mean?" Sarah quietly inquired to herself as she tried to make sense of what was said. Though that state didn't last very long as she heard the door open up once again this time it was a man who entered. "Oh hello Yugo, uh wit did you say you just arrived in this world?" Sarah inquired as she cocked an eyebrow even for a child that seemed to be impossible.

Yugo would be able to see Zahrah standing in the doorway to the back offices clearly hearing everything that the girl was saying. "As for a job you would need to ask Mr. Kellum," Sarah spoke as she pointed at the door that was open leading further back into the office where the girl with pink hair was standing. To which the girl was now even more confused than before as she could hear the whole conversation.
new female oc.png

Kellum and Chisato both looked at each other as the girl continued to go on about the two of them. "Uh, thanks?" Chisato replied as she recovered from the first comment the girl made and turned around to face her. "Though we really don't have a relationship like that, he literally fell into a hole when we first met. But that is besides the point, anyway, you still haven't told us-" Chisato stated as Zahrah spoke about the reason she had come to the office in the first place. To which she gave Kellum a glance signaling that this was his area of expertise.

Kellum scratched his head for a moment as he pondered the question. "Well that depends for some people it provides happiness and other times it prevents happiness," Kellum stated with a sigh as he sat down at his desk and opened the book. "For instance right now we are trying to fulfill a request to a baroness on a matter. To which at this point really only means she can buy the slaves and then set them free or attempt to. First, the previous master would have to agree or it would be considered stealing," Kellum explained.

mention: Elvario Elvario dancedance dancedance

Yugo was taken aback by the response he received from Sarah. His eyes widened as a brief moment of worry consumed him. "Fuck. I guess otherworlders aren't that common." He thought to himself. Breaking eye contact, and shifting his gaze to the side, Yugo's finger fidgeted. "Ryken. I meant I just arrived at Ryken." Hopefully, this was enough to clear up any doubt or confusion his initial statement had created.

Luckily, it might have been as their conversation gradually focused on his inquiry regarding work. "Oh, okay. Thanks." Yugo stuttered midsentence as his eyes followed where Sarah was leading him to. Behind her was an open door and inside was a pink-haired lady. Though in the middle of a conversation, Yugo decided to head over, hoping to meet whoever owned the office.

Normally, Yugo wouldn't think of barging into a room uninvited, but desperate times called for desperate measures. As he got closer, aside from Zahrah, there were two others in the room. Seeing as there was only one male, Yugo immediately came to a conclusion. "That must be Mr. Kellum."

Ignoring his introverted tendencies, Yugo knocked on the door three times, letting the other three know of his presence. "Pardon the intrusion." His voice quivered. "Is Mr. Kellum here? I wish to speak to him. The chil-, I mean woman in the lobby pointed me to here." Although his actions went against all that he believed in and stood for, there was no point in backing out now. "Good day to everyone. I am Yugo, a wanderer in search of work." Even though he found the courage to speak up, Yugo couldn't hide his timid demeanor. His posture was horrible. Knees partially bent, hands in his pockets, head titled a bit downward, and his eyes barely made contact with anyone as he spoke in a soft and quiet manner.

Mention: Elvario Elvario saxon saxon

Last edited:
Zahrah Fiore
Mentions: Kellum/Chisato saxon saxon | Yugo dancedance dancedance

Zahrah was rather shocked. “He fell into a hole!?!” Then they whistled. “I didn't take him to be that kind of guy, but good on you girl~” They said, winking at Chisato. Yes, they definitely, certainly and without a doubt knew all about what kind of slang 'falling into a hole' was and definitely weren't trying to wing it by making their own original ant totally wrong interpretation of what it was about.

At Kellum's statement, Zahrah rejoiced. “That! Sir! That, that is what I must know! What are the underlying principles of happiness providing laws and what are the law-preventing effects of laws? How does it balance out overall? How can it be implemented according to happiness maximisation? That, sir, is what I want to know all about!” They were clearly very excited to learn more about the topic, but perhaps not entirely for any of the right reasons.

On the particular topic of slavery, Zahrah nodded. “Yes, yes! Freedom must make someone happier than slavery, so freedom-providing laws must be a very important aspect of happiness-provisions! Sir, I'm convinced, we must find these freedom-providing laws! I don't think theft is as happiness-decreasing as freedom is happiness bringing!” They pointed their finger up in to the air. “I've got a brilliant idea! Why don't we just make a law that happiness-bringing takes precedent and give it to the baroness, so that she can use the happiness-law to make people free and happy!” They were rather pleased with their own conclusion.

Zahrah was excited when someone else, looking for work, walked into the room. “Ah, mister Yugo! Welcome, welcome! Your timing is absolutely perfect! I've just discussed it with mister Kellum here and we're going to make a happiness-law for a baroness! I'm not sure how laws are made, but I'd imagine it takes a fair bit of work, so we can use the additional manpower.”

That said, Zahrah wasn't done yet, as they walked up to Yugo. They'd attempt to push his head up, pull his hands out of his pockets and try to get him to straighten his back. “There, there mister. If you're going to look work, the chance of succeeding and finding happiness is drastically increased when you look confident and have good posture! Yes, yes, looking ready for anything is a vital part of being ready for anything and being ready for anything is very important for increasing and continuing your happiness!” They'd throw in some [Smooth Talker E] to get Yugo to go along with their requests.

A Grade CD's (1/5)
E Grade CD's (0/1)
Smooth Talker – Character Grade E, Appraisal E, Empathy E, Insight BE Performance [Acting] F, Persuasion E, Seduction BE Languages [Common, Terran, Beastial, Sylvan, Monster, Analog] – Character combines whatever (meta)knowledge they can find out about someone with persuasive, empathic and seductive smooth-talking and acting in an attempt to make others act according to their will. Character speaks to them in whichever (of the main) languages they are most comfortable with. - Grade E – 1 Post Cooldown

Mustering up the courage to speak up, while others were conversing, definitely took a lot of effort from Yugo. Mostly nudging him was his eagerness to get back home.

While he waited in anticipation for Kellum's response, Yugo was surprised and caught off guard by Zahrah. He was at a lost for words and could not even response to what she was saying. He did not expect her attention to get redirected towards him, but at this point, there was nothing he could do. The pink-haired female quickly made her way right in front of him, invading his personal space, making him feel awkward.

As much as he wanted to respond to her, Yugo couldn't and could only avoid eye contact at best. But the more she spoke, the more her words started to make sense to Yugo. He was convinced that what she was saying was true.

"She's...right." Yugo thought as his head was pushed upwards. "I can't do this half-assed!"

His hands were pulled out of his pocket and his back was forced to straighten. Made to believe that her way was the way to go, Yugo tilted his head back, puffed his chest out, and flared his shoulders to look as confident as he could.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as it sounded. He looked incredibly uncomfortable and strange. And if you include the forced smile he had donned, Yugo just looked creepy.

With his newfound faux confidence, he nodded to Zahrah, hoping he was able to pull off what she was suggesting.

Kellum.png

Sarah looked over at Yugo as he said the word fuck. To she cocked her head to the right a little bit with a confused look on her face. "What does the word fuck mean?" The girl inquired as she had never heard the word before. That really wasn't surprising since she had come from a small village so needless to say some words she probably never heard of. Though she couldn't think on it too long as Yugo moved past her and moved toward the door.

As Kellum heard his name he looked over from Zahrah and looked at Yugo who introduced himself. "That would be me but Kellum I'm just fine, it feels weird being called Mr. Kellum to be completely honest," Kellum stated as he looked at the man. While he was a fellow isekaier himself he couldn't help but feel bad for the man in front of him. Though at the same time, he couldn't help but feel that maybe working as an adventurer would be more in line for the man as even Kellum did that on the side it was a stable source of income. Clearing his throat, he was about to speak when Zahrah as hyperactive as ever beat him to the punch.
new female oc.png

Kellum and Chisato both looked at each other once again as Zahrah went on about the hole and how it seemed to be a saying or something. "Uh...no he literally fell into a hole. There is nothing more to it," She tried to explain though the subject quickly changed once again before either of the two could catch a break.

Kellum then let out a sigh as Zahrah started to ask even more questions. "Criminals want to break laws cause they deem it fun or whatever, that impacts law being fun. But on the other hand, Having laws in emplace keep people happy because their things remain where they should. Which then impact happiness and so forth," Kellum explained.

As Zahrah stuck her finger up into the after she concluded her small speech, Kellum looked over at Chisato who just shrugged. "As Kellum said, the law states slaves must be returned to their former masters if they are found. Currently, that is what is done now there is a loophole chance that it could be changed," Chisato stated as she joined the group over at the desk.

"Right the only chance they would have is to buy off the slave from the previous owner and then free them. The slaves can't remain, slaves, if bought by someone within Ryke. Slavery in this country is a banned practice which means they would be breaking the law," Kellum explained as Zahrah apparently psyched up Yugo. Chisato on the other hand smiled awkwardly as she saw the forced smile on the man's face.

Zahrah Fiore

Zahrah nodded happily at their posture-fixing of Yugo. It didn't look too convincing, but it was a good start. “Yes, yes! You've got to do this full-assed!” They weren't entirely sure what half-assed meant, but they figured they'd go along with the language used. “It'll feel a bit odd at first, but I'm sure that if you keep this up, it'll become like a second-nature to you in not time! Hup, hup, hey!” The cheered for Yugo's newfound posture and faux confidence.

However, their attention was drawn back to the hole. At this point, it was almost like they were bragging about it. Then again, who was Zahrah to deny them bragging rights? “Yes, yes, I'm sure it was just a hole~ Nothing more to it at all~” They said, winking at Chisato in what might be the most obvious manner imaginable.

In turn, Zahrah nodded along with Kellum's explanation. “Oh, so if breaking laws can lead to happiness, would we need to make more laws so that more of them can be broken?” It was a very interesting theory that was brought forwards. “Oho, but if others need to keep things in place, does that mean we need two categories of laws? One set of laws to be broken, another to be kept! Yes! We'll have breakable laws and unbreakable laws! That's brilliant! You're a genius, Kellum!” They were very impressed by the man's quick thinking.

Zahrah's interest was piqued again when Chisato mentioned loopholes. “Heh? I don't know what loopholes are~ Is it like the hole that Kellum fell into?” Zahrah said, winking once more. “I'd love to learn more about loopholes in that case~ They sound like great fun!”

When Kellum explained more, Zahrah didn't even connect his talk to the loophole question. “Oh, then, can't we just make slavery banned everywhere? Wouldn't that be a lot easier than buying people?” The answer seemed a lot easier than expected.

Yugo's newfound confidence, despite being temporary, may have done the trick. As awkward and uncomfortable he appeared, his eagerness to find work reached Kellum. At least that was what Yugo wanted to believe. His inquiry regarding a possible employment with the law office felt like it went unnoticed, but to him, the absence of rejection probably meant acceptance. To make things worse, Zahrah's encouragement didn't help in clearing up what Yugo was misunderstanding.

"I..I think I hired?" Yugo thought to himself as his shoulders slowly began to slouched, his wide grin turning back into a closed smile.

Though unfamiliar with the details that went into law making, Yugo's eyes began to swing back and forth from Kellum and Chisato, then back to Zahrah, as they started discussing about slavery with their world. As Yugo took in some mental notes, his posture gradually reverted back to what it once was, and the look of joy he previously had became that of confusion. "I guess work starts now."

Not wanting to appear too inexperienced or inept, Yugo tried to chime in and share his thoughts on the matter. "Or maybe you could make slavery legal in Ryke as well? Break the law on it being banned?" He definitely didn't know what he was talking about. "And maybe give the slaves a better chance here at being happy?"

Kellum.png

Kellum once again looked at the doll like girl as she really didn't seem to get the expression or what it meant. Shifting his glance over at Chisato who simply shrugged her shoulders not really offering much in the way of help. "Anyway, back to the problem at hand, as I said the best way is to find a way to get the slave owner to sell the slave to the person who finds it." Kellum stated as he opened the law book though with how the country ran its courts the nobles basically had the final say in the matter.

Chisato walked over to the table as Yugo mentioned work starting now. "We are not looking to take on associates at this time in the law office, frankly we make more money off adventuring than we do from here. We could introduce you to the guild and how it works but that is the best we would be able to do," she stated before bringing her hand up to her chin.

"You shouldn't go looking to break the law, the fact that this situation is a bit more difficult than you would think. If one side refuses to return the slave then it could lead to diplomatic issues. Which could spring into border skirmishes or worse, which is the reason we cannot simply split laws into breakable ones and not breakable ones. Doing so would throw society into chaos," Kellum explained shaking his head at the thought. He was a lawyer not a bar barbarian after all.
new female oc.png

Chisato spoke up again, "Slaves have never been a thing inside Ryke the country was established as a buffer state. While both sides allow slaves, this place is seen as a free heaven for those who face the chance of becoming slaves from both empires. So allowing slavery here would probably cause some unrest among the people." Chisato then moved and sat down in a chair.

"A loophole is a weak spot or a vague part of something in this case we want to find a way to bend the law to work in our favor. The law states they must be returned to the owner but if the finder were to offer to buy them then that would give them the right to free them. That would be the loophole we are looking to push with," Kellum explained as he looked at the group that had assembled.

"The empires ue slavery as a means for labor and income, they will more than likely not just ban slavery no mater how much anyone tried. Even if the Emperor himself did so he would no doubt meet resistance to the new law," Kellum concluded as he moved back to the shelf and pulled out a two books on the Eastern and Western Empire placing them on the table.

Zahrah Fiore

Zahrah shook their head, upon witnessing Yugo's posture starting to deteriorate in front of them. Then again, they didn't want to press it further. Besides, Yugo raised an interesting point. “Oh! Oh! Oh! I think I heard of one way in which slavery was a thing that people said made them happy! It was when they were doing this thing called... called... Ah! B. D. S. M.! That's what they called it! I'm fairly sure most slaves in that were happy! Should we make it so Ryke slaves are all categorised like that as well?” They'd mostly forgotten what that acronym stood for or what they were, but they did vaguely recall an association of happy slavery being present in that scene.

However, Zahrah was a little confused regarding the option that Kellum wanted to go by. They had some feint memories of their market analysis studies back as an A.I. and whilst it was shabby and shattered, one thing they recalled. “Mister, mister, I'm confused. If you make it so that every slave gets sold when they cross the border, wouldn't that make people want to sent slaves across the border to make a profit when they don't want them and put the baroness in debt?”

When Kellum mentioned they shouldn't be breaking the law, Zahrah had a brilliant idea. “Oh, in that case! What if that baroness just makes a law that allowing slaves to escape into her barony is illegal! Then, if a slave enters it, she can confiscate that slave and free them. Right?” They were pretty proud of their own conclusion.

They nodded along with the explanations of loopholes cheerfully. It gave them a better understanding of the things they had just stated. “So, couldn't we find a loophole in the law that makes it so she can blame the other party for allowing slaves to escape and cross the border to begin with? Right, right? I'm sure there are some very loopy holes to be found there, if we go looking!” Yes, they were even more proud of their own conclusions then they were previously.

“It's sad the empires won't just ban slavery though. It's not good for happiness maximisation. Perhaps I should go talk to this Emperor and then fight alongside him against any resistance he'd get~ That sounds fun!” They debated the option for a bit, but decided against it. “I should probably start small though! So, where are we going to go look for loopholes? Do we need to bring shovels? I must warn you, I'm not all that strong~” They then patted Yugo on the back. “I'm sure mister Yugo here is going to be amazing at digging around for loopholes though~ You should really hire such an outstanding fellow for the job~” The spoke, with the charisma and conviction of [Smooth Talker C].

A Grade CD's (3/5)
C Grade CD's (0/3)
Smooth Talker – Character Grade C, Appraisal C, Empathy C, Insight C, Performance [Acting] F, Persuasion C, Seduction C, Languages [Common, Terran, Beastial, Sylvan, Monster, Analog] – Character combines whatever (meta)knowledge they can find out about someone with persuasive, empathic and seductive smooth-talking and acting in an attempt to make others act according to their will. Character speaks to them in whichever (of the main) languages they are most comfortable with. - Grade C – 3 Post Cooldown
E Grade CD's (0/1)

Kellum.png

Kellum scratched the back of his head as he grabbed some coffee that was sitting on the table. Though when the doll mentioned BDSM he spit it out rather quickly. "Uh, what did you just say?" Kellum inquired as he coughed and the doll continued to speak. "Thats not really a slave thing or well I suppose it could be but that's irrelevant in this situation. Ryke does not have slaves therefore you cannot have slaves in this country," Kellum explained as his face was ever so slightly red.

As the doll then brought up buying the slaves as soon as they come across the border he shook his head. "That only works if they come through official crossings. If they are runaways and just try to get out of the country then there is no way to account for them. Plus I don't know how they would feel about knowing the slaves that come here would be free. They might get scared the former slaves might start a revolt," Kellum explained as he started to drink out of the cup once again.

"Sure let's entertain this thought for a moment, so what happens when the slave master comes to retrieve the property and they found out the Baroness has created a law that free's slaves that cross into her domain. Don't you think the empire might start to get agitated with Ryke and could potentially start a war over it?" Kellum inquired as he wasn't sure the girl was thinking much further ahead than freedom. Law and politics are very closely connected.
new female oc.png

Chisato let out a small sigh as he sat down at the table and brought her hand up to her chin. Chisato then snapped her fingers and looked up. "What if the Empire couldn't tell that they were slaves, if the baroness were to employ someone with enough magical skill to remove the slave's contract magic then they wouldn't be able to prove they were a slave," Chisato stated as she looked at the other two to see what their reactions were going to be.

"That could work but, as you said she would need to hire a competent mage. But no you won't need a shovel technically we don't even have to leave the office," Kellum stated as he didn't have any books on magic in the office. "I suppose she could hire an adventurer mage to do the job, though that would probably be a full-time position," Kellum theorized.

Zahrah Fiore

“BDSM!” Zahrah cheerfully replied when Kellum asked them to repeat what they just said. “Was that really not a slave thing? I can't quite recall much about it, but I really do think it was...” They were confused. Even so, they allowed Kellum to go through the next few topics without interruption.

“Nope, I don't think so~” They replied to Kellums question. “Slavery doesn't lead to much happiness, but going to war over them would lead to even less happiness, so it'd be stupid to go to war~ Besides, wouldn't it be their fault for letting their slaves cross into her domain to begin with? It's like in those movies when kids kick their ball across the fence into the neighbour's yard an the neighbour doesn't want to return it due to them not wanting the kid's ball to break the windows or flowerbeds or something! The kids would be angry, sure, but they know it's their mistake for kicking the ball across the fence, so they'll have to accept the consequences!”

”Oh! Magic again! The foxy baron I once met said that magic allows you to keep smoking without the risk of decreased happiness due to falling sick! It's really a solution to everything, isn't it? Do you think I should learn magic as well?” They said, pretty hyped up on the idea of magic, as it kept being brought up as a solution to things that decreased happiness or as a sudden way to increase happiness.

The digging part was a bit confusing though. “You're going to dig inside the office with your bare hands? I don't think that'll work out well.”

All things considered, there were a few things that Zahrah still didn't quite get. “So the only difference is that, rather than freeing slaves herself, she hires someone to do it? Or is there more to it? Oh, are we going to pretend the people that got freed were never slaves to begin with as well? That'll for sure confuse them! They'll be like, our slaves escaped, give them back! Then we'll be like, what slaves? There are no slaves in Ryke!” They said, acting out the conversation with themselves.

They were convinced. “This sounds great! Let's do it! So where do we start? Do we go to the Adventurer's Guild to see if they rent out mages that do contract-breaking? Or maybe we should go ask what that Republic does? They're all beasts as well and beasts get taken for slaves a lot, right? Surely they also hire people to break contracts, so perhaps we can hire one of theirs, right? Oh, oh, or maybe the magic folk in the... what's it called again? The Seeing! Yes, perhaps they know! Or do we learn how to legal-framework-magic-break those contracts ourselves? Oh, oh! What if we find a way for escaped slaves to to unslave themselves? If they can undo it themselves, it'd be like a mass-production of freedom and such a high amount of freedom would surely lead to a good increase in happiness, right?” They were certainly full of ideas and energy.

Kellum.png

Kellum Looked at Zahrah and shook his head, the whole thing was just crazy. How he ended up dealing with this person was beyond him. Though there wasn't much else he could do right now. Letting out a sigh he ran his hand through his hair and pour some more coffee in his cup and hope that he wouldn't have to spit it out again. I feel like I'm having a joke played on me. He thought to himself before flipping the book a few pages until he came across the contract magic description in question.

"Slavery never leads to happiness however, it does keep people alive for a bit longer than they would have been before that. Not all people were born into slavery or forced into it. Many people voluntarily become slaves which means they will get some kind of shelter and food given to them. However what you might see as being stupid is something they will fight over," Kellum pointed out as he scolded Zahrah for being too naive on the matter. He knew this wasn't a game if they didn't come up with a good enough solution then people could die or be hurt by the fall out from doing something like this.
new female oc.png

Chisato glanced down at the floor for a moment. "While it might be the responsibility for the masters to keep their slaves in line. Them crossing a border is no different than a pet getting out and running over to a neighbor. The owners will want their property returned to them. If it were just a toy then you could keep them I suppose," Chisato paused for a moment and brought her hand up. "However these are not children we are talking about nobles who will hold grudges against one another and actively plot the downfall of another," Chisato warned as she poured some coffee into a cup as well and started to drink it.

As Zarhah asked if she should learn magic Kellum simply shrugged his shoulders on the matter. "That not something for me to decide," he concluded closing his eyes as he took a sip of the coffee. His facial expression was relaxed as he fully sat back in the chair trying to come up with a plan in mind that could work for the time being.

Kellum ignored the digging comments as he simply shook his head, "If they don't have the slave magic on them then they have no real proof they are slaves which then solves the problem entirely. Though how many slaves would cross the border into the territory I have no idea. we could try and asking the guild but that isn't our job to do, if the Baroness wants the mages that is something she will have to gather on her own. We are simply here to come up with a solution and present it," Kellum stated before folding his arms across his chest.

Zahrah Fiore

Zahrah was, once more, confused. Their cotton brain didn't quite pick up on some things. “If slavery never leads to happiness, then why is it a thing? We should make a law to ban it~” They'd gotten back full-circle on that part. Yet they turned around again when Kellum continued. “Oh, oh, I know about that next part! The basics needs, right? Food, water, clothing, sleep and shelter~ For as long as someone has those, they can work on other things to become happy, but if someone misses only one of them, it'll be next to impossible for them to be happy, right, right? However, doesn't that contradict what you just said? If slavery is needed to get basic needs and basic needs are needed to be happy, doesn't mean that slavery can lead to happiness?”

They then nodded at Chistato's addition. “I see, I see. However, think of it this way! If a pet wolf-dog crosses into your garden and kills and eats your chicken, you'd not have to return that wolf-dog, right? So, like, slaves that escape still need stuff to live, the basic needs we mentioned right? So if they take that from that baroness' lands, like by hunting and foraging on her grounds, then wouldn't they be stealing from her, which means she can blame the other nobles of having their slaves steal from her, which is just like that wolf-dog, which means she's got a good reason to refuse handing them back and instead keep them as collateral, right? Right?” They weren't yet done with trying to come up with new innovate ways to make this work, although they were starting to lose track of what exactly they were trying to make work.

That's when it went to the slave magic. They raised their hand, then continued to talk without awaiting their turn. “Question, question! How is having mages undo the slave magic any different from what we discussed before? Wouldn't the nobles trying to hold grudges and plot downfalls still hate her for doing that? Wouldn't they say she's just stealing property regardless and just whitewashes it? I'm not sure how it's different from the first plans, except that it's maybe more sneaky! Oh, wait! Does that mean we need a law that makes it legal for the baroness to undo slavery on someone in her barony? Then the nobles can plot and grudge all they want, but they'd not be able to blame her for something that she's allowed to do, right, right? Am I getting it?” They said, excited due to feeling like they were starting to get the hang of this lawyering business.

That said, they had one question. “If we're to come up with a solution and present it, don't we need to present her with a slave-breaking mage? That's the solution we're going for, right? So then that's what we'd need to present her with, right?” They weren't quite sure what else they could possibly present that didn't include an actual mage, if a mage was the solution. Stuff like this was surprisingly complicated. Was that why so few people were doing happiness research into the law?

Kellum.png

Kellum let out a sigh as the cotton ball continued, he scratched the back of his neck. "Well magic can be broken, its just a matter of resources, though with us proposing this to the Baroness that should be sufficient no doubt she will have a mage of enough skill to break this contract magic. Though the real issue would be to find a slave to test it on. But again that really isn't our problem at the moment so, I will start to draft a letter detailing the idea and we can present it to her through that or in person at a later date at her request," Kellum stated as he stood up and walked over to his desk and started to draft a letter.
new female oc.png

Notes: The End, sorry fo the rushed ending but with work my time is going to be severely limited to eating, sleeping and going to work. But the requirements were met and the goals accomplished.

Isekai Hell RP Grade

Mentions: Elvario Elvario saxon saxon dancedance dancedance

Good rp of a more social persuasion. Interesting questions and thoughts on the matter of slave liberation.

Aftermath
If Kellum and Chisato continue thinking on ways to circumnavigate the laws regarding returning slaves to their home nations/owners, they will risk being barred from law practice in Ryke. At worst, they could be prosecuted to maintain national relations with its parent nations.

Due to the war in the east empire/fae see, there are many escaped or masterless slaves fleeing into Ryke. There is an ongoing public discussion on what to do with them all since simply returning those particular slaves is not possible for the time being.

Rewards

Kellum - 32pts

optional title acquired - [Better Call ...] -
character is growing a reputation of being more light and loose with the laws. More likely to attract guilty and/or clients with severely disadvantaged backgrounds.

Zahrah - 25pts
optional Title Acquired - [Solution Seeker]
- character regularly displays and interest and puts for effort in trying to solve the various problems that plague the world. Character will have an easier time uncovering problems that need help.

Yugo - 14pts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back