• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Graded [Yemaya City] Knightly Duties (Or Something Similar)

This RP is part of the Isekai Hell setting. Check the links above to learn more about it.

What to expect out of character:
Daily posting pace where possible, 2 rounds a week (Wednesdays and weekends) if not. Likely meeting somewhere in the middle. Focus will be on creative usage of the set-up narration and interaction with NPC's.

What to expect in character:
On his way to meet some smiths in Stonewall, Siegfried Grünelke Adlieber learns about two kids, a catgirl and a kenku that have gone missing whilst passing through the ruins of Yemaya. Naturally, I'd behove his knightly duties if he were to find them and ensure they were safe.

Barony NPC 1x1 RP's
There are a lot of people (NPC's) in the barony by now. That is not a coincidence. I've been trying to establish a lot of NPC's, not just to flesh out the area and add some flavour, but also to offer the following option: 1x1 RP's with the barony NPC's.

These are intended to be:
1 – Relative short. (Up to two months at most, more likely between 2 weeks and a month).
2 – Easy to jump into. Find an NPC you want to interact with or a goal to achieve that could fit into the Caelia Barony and you'll be hooked up.
3 – Light-hearted. They won't have too much deep lore/plot. Just a PC, an NPC and a common goal to achieve (examples; defeat wolf, craft sword, chat about the weather, learn how to poor tea).

What you stand to gain:
1 – An RP tailored to your liking with flexible pacing (daily at its fastest so long as both sides are able to keep it up, with potential moments of back-to-back posting, weekly at its slowest).
2 – A direct way to achieve a specific goal, such as: Forge a sword. Gain F-rank Adventurer's Guild connection. Learn Etiquette. Spent some time gossiping.
3 – A narrator willing to help you come up with ideas. I like brainstorming if you want to try out something, but don't have something specific yet.

What I stand to gain:
1 – More RP options outside of my own characters.
2 – Fleshing out the barony and its NPC's even more.
3 – Hopefully giving people some short, yet fun RP's.
4 – A few extra points from running a lot of RP's, which I'll likely reinvest in barony assets/companions through my character (baroness) Regula Caelia.

Limits:
1 - There's only so much I can do alone. If too many people show interest, I'll have to create a waiting list or find others to join in on this idea (preferably with NPC's of their own, to ensure NPC's stay somewhat consistent in their behaviour).
2 – Grand goals, deep lore, posting paces longer than weekly or desires for very long-lasting RP's likely won't fit this format.
3 – I'm planning to offer some level quality, but this is also very much a quantity thing. If I somehow offer a life-changing RP that'd be great, but that'd not be the goal with these. The goal is some good and simple fun.

Yemaya Hillside
Country of Ryken, County of Sadek, Barony of Caelia,North of Yemaya
30423163._SX540_.jpg

From: https://www.flickr.com/photos/66002029@N03/9662327307
Time: 9:45
Weather: Still a bit chilly. Slowly warming up.
Mentions: Siegfried Grünelke Adlieber Faynorae Faynorae

Siegfried, having just left the ruins of Yemaya behind, would be out and about on a little-travelled path heading northwards. Well, path was a big word for it. It seemed to be a path at first, then it was more like a trail and then... then it was just gone. Try as he might, he'd not find any further signs of civilisation in this area, nor a clue as to where those kids that went missing might've gone. From what he'd gathered from the people in Yemaya, the kids were still teenagers. A catgirl and a kenku, who'd been living in some of the ruins for the past few months. Some of the more charitable folk had occasionally shared food with them, until they'd just vanished one morning. Whilst some had been concerned, the kids hadn't been in Yemaya for long enough to get folk to set up an entire search party for them. However, they had ended up asking Siegfried if he could please see if he could find them. Which brought him here...

The only question was; now what? At first glance, there weren't any clues as to where they might've gone. The people in Yemaya had no clue at all, other than one person having seen them leave through the north gate and into this direction. The area itself didn't seem to give away much, as his only company were the occasional bird and marmot. The latter creatures were keenly observing him from a distance, ducking away the moment he'd look straight at them, but appearing again in the corners of his eyes the moment it looked like he looked away again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The birds flutter. The rodents scatter.

• The day was lovely. The cold air brushing onto Siegfried's skin reminded him of something far... Although, thoughts like that were reserved for another day. He'd stop looking into the sky and focus on the place ahead of him. He had come to this place in hopes of learning some techniques from its rumoured blacksmiths. Although, he wasn't all too fortunate in that attempt... On the other hand, the folks had asked a task of him, that the would-be knight had no right to refuse. So here he was.

Walking with unhurried steps, admiring the green grass and the rocks he had been passing by. He didn't understand, did he really walk that far from the path that it had completely disappeared? A quiet sigh left him, as he'd peer at the surrounding area. Searching for footprints... bird prints... cat prints, any sort of prints really. He was tasked with finding a pair of missing kids, or something along those lines.

The birds caught Siegfried's attention, he'd wave, ("Pardon me!") he'd whistle to them, attempting to talk with them via his language of [Woodland Animals]. ("You lot, who walk on the winds, I beseech you.") Once the birds bothered themselves to listen, the monocerous would ask; ("By any chance, did you see a girl pass by here? One who looks like a cat-- Or perhaps a bird-like person? I pray you do tell me.") He'd call out, holding a hand beside his mouth as he'd look to them.

After listening to what they may have to say, the 'knight' would back to the general direction of the marmots which seemed so wary of him. He'd crouch down to seem less large and squinted his eyes to show his trust in them. Whether that worked or not, he wouldn't know. Edging closer, slowly, he'd smile, ("I apologise, I do not mean to impede you all, but has any of you seen a girl with cat-like features?-- Or perhaps a bird-like boy? If you have, I would be happy if you could inform me.") He'd softly ask them.

He'd hope that he was still fluent in regards to speaking with mundane animals, if not, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. He knew only a few methods to seem less threatening to smaller wildlife, yet in soothe, he never particularly thought that he'd have a need for such things. After all, he was basically a ghost in his life prior. If the birds or rodents didn't wish to speak to him, then Siegfried would likely have to try other methods to find those two missing youngins.

Mentions ~ Elvario Elvario | Language Keys ~ "Common"; ("Woodland Animal")​

Yemaya Hillside
30423163._SX540_.jpg

Languages: (Woodland Animal)

Alas, Siegfried lacked the ability to track prints, assuming there even were any to begin with. The environment didn't make them obvious and he wasn't able to use any skills to find the non-obvious.

As he waved out towards the birds, most ignored him. They had places to be, eggs to hatch, songs to sing. Or perhaps they didn't even understand him. One of them swirled around for a bit. It was quick to judge. (“No food. No good.”) Whatever this thing wanted from them, it wasn't getting it without a proper tribute. They flew along.

When he went to the marmots next, he'd immediately see one of them duck away. However, when he crouched down and called out, he saw some careful eyes peak across the distance. He soon heard the animal start shouting.

lucian-fatu-marmot-smaller.jpg

(“Hank! Hank! It's talking! It's getting closer! Hank! Hank!)” One of them started shouting.

(“Steven? Steven! Who is? Who is talking? Who is getting closer!”)

(“Hank! I don't know Hank! A weird thing! Big! Scary!”)

(“Steven! Does it look like it'll eat you!”)

(“Hank! Hank! I don't know!”)

(“Then, quick, play dead! Play dead Steven! Steven!”)

Before Siegfried's eyes, he could see the first marmot fall down dramatically, before laying down silently upon the ground. He'd yet to spot the second one, as its voice was echoing enough to make it a bit more unclear where it had been coming from.

Hah.

• How misfortunate it was that Siegfried didn't understand that birds weren't the kindest of creatures. They had more important things to do and weren't very intrigued by words alone. Although, the would-be knight wouldn't understand such thoughts in any case, since he hadn't truly paid attention to such thoughts... They flew away without a second glance. Siegfried sighed.

Though the birds may not have cared for the so-called knight's questions, and flew along with their lives, the grounded rodents that Siegfried instead turned to had much more to say... Albeit amongst themselves, at first.

One of the marmots seemed to call out to another which was seemingly named, Hank. That was strange, the creatures seemed to have names amongst themselves. Well, it didn't change much. Perhaps, names were only silent to him in the days prior to Siegfried. Mayhaps it made sense in this world to have a name. Although, the marmots' interactions amongst themselves were particularly... Silly?

Siegfried covered his mouth, there was a slight pang in his stomach. "Pft," He'd chuckle quietly, as not to further agitate the animals. To think these animals may perceive him as something that may try and eat them... How endearing they were. Fortunately for them, Siegfried had less than any interest in eating. ("Pardon me, I do not mean to agitate you two,") Said he, taking the hand away from his mouth.

("My name is Siegfried, it is my pleasure to meet you two, Sir Steven and Sir Hank.") He would talk in a soft tone, a smile creased on his face as he'd look for the other one. ("You need not to still yourselves or hide, I am not going to eat either or any of you.") He would affirm, ("Merely, I am searching for two children. They should be more than half my size, one cat-like and one bird-like. Have you seen either of them?") Siegfried would once more ask.

("I do not have much to give in return--") The so-called knight would state, searching the surroundings around the first marmot to see if his eyes could catch the second one. ("But, I would very well help you with anything that you may need.") He'd offer, with a smile on his face.

Yemaya Hillside
30423163._SX540_.jpg

As Siegfried spoke up, the 'dead' marmot opened on of his eyes. It was clear he didn't know how to respond, so he whisper-shouted.

(“Psst, Hank, Hank, ppst.”)

(“Steven? What?”)

(“Hank, I don't think it's working, Hank!”)

(“Why not Steven? Why not?”)

(“He's talking to me Hank! He's talking to me!”)

(“Steven, what's he saying? What's he staying Steven?”)

(“Hank! Hank! He said he won't eat us Hank!”)

(“Steven! That's great Steven! Then what is he doing! What is he doing Steven?”)

(“Hank! He's saying he's Siegrfied Hank! He's saying he wants to find children Hank!”)

(“What, Steven? What does he want the children for Steven?”)

(“I don't know Hank! Hank, I don't know!”)

(“Steven! I think he wants to eat them, Steven!”)

(“Hank, Hank! What do I do? Hank!”)

(“Don't tell him we saw two children going further north to the lake Steven! Steven, don't tell him that!”)

(“Hank! I won't say that those children we saw went north, towards the lake, Hank! I'll say they went west, Hank!”)

The marmot finally opened his other eye and turned to face Siegfried, who'd have heard the entire conversation.

(“They went west! They went west Siegfried! Siegfried! They went west.”) He told Siegfried.

Somewhere by a distant lake.

• Siegfried covered his mouth as he'd listen in on the marmots' loud whispering. "Pfft-- Ahaha~" Laughter couldn't help but burst, as he held his stomach. The would-be knight flopped over onto his back, with a child-like smile painted onto his face. Was it rude to laugh in front of two folks just for how they conversed? The former monoceros wouldn't certainly know...

He'd pull himself up, to sit straight with his legs crossed. Covering his mouth as he'd relax his face, "Ahem." He'd clear his throat. ("I must thank you both kindly, Sir Steven and Sir Hank,") He'd express. To think the creatures would assume that he'd eat children of all things if it were up to the so-called knight, he wouldn't eat anything at all.

("I cannot express how glad their caretakers will be once I return them. You have my praise, dear friends.") Siegfried commented, a smile wide on his face as he'd swing himself up to stand. Placing a hand over his forehead as the 'knight' scanned the area around him, looking from here to wherever. ("This way must be westward, correct?") Said he, pointing north. His white tail swayed, as he'd look at the two creatures. ("Again, thank you both ever kindly.") He'd restate, as he'd begin walking north.

Siegfried would do so without looking back or giving the marmots a chance to interject. He felt oddly warm, with his light steps and smile. He felt quite fortunate to gather a lead, all he had to do now was find some sort of lake. He'd look into the sky to spot any birds, as he'd move on. After that, Siegfried would be on the lookout for any other animals along the way or the said lost children.

Yemaya Hillside
30423163._SX540_.jpg

(“Hank! Hank! He's not going west, Hank! Hank!”)

(“Steven! Steven! Just pretend to be dead again Steven!”)

Those were the parting words of Siegfried's new friends, which he'd hear behind him as he headed north. As he continued in that direction, he'd spot the 'lake' they talked about. Well, 'lake' in marmot view. In practice, it was a tad bit smaller.

Pond North of Yemaya
Country of Ryken, County of Sadek, Barony of Caelia, North of Yemaya
835926d1f779e67c49f9ab8cd6359dee.png

From: https://www.deviantart.com/jkroots/art/Mystic-Pond-420614537

Okay, it was more than a tad bit smaller. It was just a pond. Still, the sound of running water from a small stream was rather relaxing, giving the place a serene and peaceful feel to it. If it wasn't for the missing kids, this would be an ideal time and place to relax. As for those missing kids, even a novice could see some traces of people having been here, such as the charred remains of a campfire and broken-off tree branches. The only question was; where were they now? Assuming these were the right tracks to begin with, instead of just being some bandits or maybe even a wild Fae. It'd be up to him to figure out how or where to proceed from here.

Are fish like birds to crabs?

• With each step Siegfried took, the clouds seemed to fly past the presumed knight as he'd stride onward to wherever this so called lake was. Although, Siegfried found not a lake, instead, he found but a simple pond. Well, simple was never the term to describe anything in nature, since things such as this pond may have been here for plenty of years. Watching as stories passed by, after all, he would never be the first person to visit this place.

He clicked his tongue, realising that some branches of the trees had been snapped off. How could those children be so reckless? Using something else for their own benefit, did they not realise they wouldn't need to make a campfire if they had just stayed at where they settled? Siegfried didn't understand it. He'd peer around to perhaps spot any noticeable prints, yet, if there were, then he'd likely have already seen them.

Siegfried walked down to the pond. Crouching down and staring into it. The former monoceros could imagine how two animals as small as those ground-squirrels were could see this feature of water as a lake. Was there really a need to differentiate lakes from ponds? After all, in the end, they were all bodies of water which hosted their set of life. He gazed more tentatively into the water, checking if they hadn't somehow fallen into the lake.

He would've been more thorough as to hop in if only, he knew how to swim. In his past life, he had never really thought of it, because the surface of water was any other stable surface for him. Now, he was sure that he'd sink. Siegfried stretched out an arm, dipping his hand into the water and stirring it around. He looked for anything that may live beneath the pond, like fishes, tadpoles or mayhaps even a toad or frog. ("Pardon me, is anyone here?") Siegfried called out into the lake.

A thought crossed him, were fish even aware that they were swimming? To them, swimming must be like what striding is for a horse. They must be walking in the waters, while those on land are the strange creatures swimming on the grass. Do toads or frogs inform fish that they are swimming? What truly is a fish? What does it mean to be a fish? Are fish even fish? Do fish call themselves fish, and realise it like humans call themselves so? Siegfried cared not for answers, these were just passing thoughts.

Pond North of Yemaya

Time: 10:15

Although there were some signs of life in the pond, like a few marsh treaders, none of what he saw at first glance was either intelligent enough or wanting enough to communicate with him. Besides, were they really 'woodland' enough to reply to him? Perhaps they were, as a bit after his call-out, he saw something move in the mud.

European-eel.jpg

(“Is it true? Are you real? Has the moment finally arrived? Ah, are you my prince charming? Please, kind sir, tell me, are you knightly?”)

The eel that had appeared didn't waste much time to talk, speaking in a slow yet dramatic voice. There was something a tad bit peculiar about her tone of voice, but perhaps that was just how fish spoke in general.

• Little creatures, who were too minute to see unless you'd look for them glided 'top the surface of the water. Light, as they were small, such creatures were, yet the perspective of a marsh reader must be so incredibly different to Siegfried's, even a marmot's.

To the so-called knight, who was supposedly large in comparison, saw this body of water as a pond, yet a marmot saw such feature as a lake instead. So, to a marsh treader, this must be what is akin to an ocean. So then, was a true ocean like the expanse of space to such creatures? Fish were creatures of the deep, who'd swallow them up without even knowing they had. To a creature as small as a marsh treader, what is a fish but a monster which lurks in the expanse of a dark space unknown? Siegfried wished them well.

His eyes then quickly darted to the moving form and 'voice' calling out, "Oh?" An eel it was, or so that is what the humans call them. ("Greetings, madame. My name is Siegfried, what is yours?") He'd ask, before listening to the creature speak her words.

A strange question the eel asked, or so thought Siegfried at the very least. He'd scratch his cheek, as he gazed into the waters with slightly widened eyes. ("Prince charming...?") He'd utter to himself, unbeknownst to him, his cheeks had rosied quite a bit at the eel's words. To be called a prince felt a tad haught... Siegfried would do his best to brush it off, after all, not answering a question was impolite.

("I would assume so,") Said he, as someone else's words crossed his mind, ("After all, I do look the part, do I not?") Siegfried replied with a warm smile. ("If it is not rude to ask, but what may you mean by 'the moment finally arriving'? Is there anything I can mayhaps assist you with, madame?") The self-proclaimed knight would ask, with a slight tilt of his head.

Pond North of Yemaya

Time: 10:15

European-eel.jpg

(“Oh, Siegfried, what a wonderful and lovely name~ Yes, it is truly befitting my prince charming! How wonderful~ Alas, however, I cannot grant you a name in return, for you see, I have forgotten mine.”) She spoke in a saddened tone.

Yes, yes! There it was! The magnificent moment! Oh, oh! Her eel-heart starting beating ever so much faster. (“Oh, my dearest prince charming, I thought you would never ask! For, you see, I I think I may have been cursed by a most wicked witch! Yes, I might just be a princess who got turned into an eel! Now, only a kiss from a true prince charming can turn me back into the form I think that possibly I was destined to be! So please, my prince! Lift me up from this dreary pond, hold my wet and slimy skin in your lovely hands, bring my mouth to your lips and bless me with a deepest kiss!”)

Oddly enough, it sounded like the eel was swallowing a few words here and there. Surely though, those weren't important at all.

• The monocerous was too stunned to speak, at first. He stared blankly into the lake trying to process what the Eel had just said.

A witch had cursed this eel? How terrible that must be! Siegfried could feel a sort of empathy with the eel... To be trapped in a body, unlike your usual form. It truly must be such a horrible twist of fate. Siegfried would feel obligated to help this self-proclaimed princess eel. She'd even forgotten her own name! Siegfried never had a name in his past, but people seem to put quite a lot of importance in their names, so it must be devastating for this poor princess.

The so-called knight would do what the Eel requested of him without any hesitation, gently, he'd take the apparently cursed eel out from the pond's water. There would be nothing else to think of, Siegfried would lift her close to his face and briefly kiss the eel on her lips. He put no further thought into it, after all, kisses were just when two things' lips met. The former-monoceros didn't really understand the meaning behind the gesture, assuming it was basically akin to a hug.

After giving away his first kiss to a supposedly cursed princess eel, Siegfried would gently place her back into the water. ("Is that sufficient?") He'd ask. Cursed royals were quite common in the fairytales that he read, and apparently, it may have been just as commonplace in his past life as well. Either way, Siegfried was under a philosophy of things just happening, and he wouldn't dare question the logic behind its occurrences.

Pond North of Yemaya

Time: 10:20

European-eel.jpg

(“Oh yes, oh yes! Hold me in your strong and knightly hands!”) The eel excitedly called out, upon being lifted out of the waters. Sadly enough, his kiss was neither deep nor long nor passionate, even though eel definitely leaned into it for as much as her eely body allowed her to. Sadly enough, it didn't seem to have any effect...

Until it did!

As she was put back in the water, a bright light started to shine from here, bright enough to hide her from Siegfried's sight for a moment. However, when the light dimmed enough for him to see her again...

25d0bb7a26d17a6811ecf753a42efc25_c8bd11dd4522f19645b379ec7fe03021.jpg

(“Yes! Yes! That was it! It worked! I remember now!”) The frog spoke happily. (“I am a frog princess in this pond!”)

She smiled at Siegfried. (“Oh, my noble knight! My prince charming! However can I thank you for freeing me of that ghastly eely fate that had befallen me?”)

Green.

• At first, nothing really seemed to happen. As if it was just some tall tale made up by the eel. Yet, that was quite quickly disproven by the sudden blinding light which dazzled the so-called knight for mere moments. Once it had cleared, it seemed that the eel did not indeed lie. After all, what reason would there have been to misinform the so-called knight?

She was, in fact, a princess. Specifically, she was the frog princess of this pond. How quaint, this indeed small pond, could somehow act as a kingdom of sorts for the creatures living within it. Siegfried smiled, feeling his shoulders relax as relief left his lips in a sigh. ("It makes me glad to know you are fulfilled, Madame,") He'd say, preparing to get up. ("Your gratitude alone is enough, I need nought more.") Siegfried relayed with a smile...

"Ah," Wait a moment, the former monoceros uttered and thought, he'd stop himself from getting up. There was indeed something that she could help him with, it was the exact reason he was here by this pond in the first place.

("Pardon me. Before my departure, have you perchance seen two children here? One has the features of a cat and the other is a humanish bird--") Siegfried pointed to the charred branches nearby, ("Were they the ones who did that? If you saw them, would you be gracious as to direct me whither they proceeded forth?") He'd asked of the frog princess.

Pond North of Yemaya

Time: 10:20

25d0bb7a26d17a6811ecf753a42efc25_c8bd11dd4522f19645b379ec7fe03021.jpg

(“Oh my, you truly are a most wonderful knight and prince charming!”) She spoke, upon being told he needed no more than her gratitude. At the question of having seen two children, she hopped up! (“Why yes! I did! That cat! She tried capturing me with a pointy stick! It was horrible!”) The frog (former eel) called out. (“I think she wanted to eat me! I'm glad they didn't manage to catch me!”)

As for where they went, the frog (former eel) wasn't entirely sure. (“That”) she flung out her tongue northwards (“direction I think. I couldn't see well, as I was hiding at the bottom.”)

Should Siegfried eventually had in the mentioned direction, he would eventually find himself in front of a small cave. This time around, even a total novice would be able to spot the tracks leading into it and out of it, as there were fresh ones among them.

Cave North of Yemaya
latest

From: https://overlordmaruyama.fandom.com/wiki/Northern_Cave/url]

The stories of pebbles and stones

• Siegfried, again, was taken aback. His tail quivered and there was an empty space fluttering in his chest. A gentle warmth spread 'cross his face whilst his cheeks palely became red. Huh, he'd utter in thought as he'd a hand to scratch his head. Being praised and called something that you desire to achieve... It felt strange. Only for he lacked the word to call it.

His face stiffened once the Frog Princess exclaimed how the cat-like child he was looking for had attempted an assault against an innocent and harmless creature such as a simple, albeit cursed, pond eel... Do eels even live in ponds? Unfortunately, Siegfried was not [Nature] enough to know this. ("It is fortunate that the child did not have you seized,") He'd place his hand over his left bosom, and stare at the Frog Princess, ("I will forward your displeasure to the child who tried to eat you, Madame. Henceforth, thon will avoid attacking others of your waters.") He'd promise with a smile.

Siegfried looked to which direction the Frog Princess had flung her tongue. He'd nod, and look to her with a smile. ("Thank you ever kindly, fair Madame.") he'd say with a bow—And so, he would continue moving north... To think that he could have just continued moving north. (It's like having your first kiss stolen was 100% optional)

The former monoceros would walk through the forest, taking in the scenery of everything surrounding him. Although he lacked the skills to truly understand everything from a logical perspective, he could at least still enjoy and understand them as he did visually. The colour of the trees' leaves, grasshoppers skipping through the still grass. The cold morning air, brushed upon his skin as it surely 'gin to warm. Just like how a creature has stories, things which are not particularly alive, did too.

Rocks stand in place or are displaced, changed or broken to pieces over periods of thousands of years. They exist, watching as things around them change, grow and pass. How many times has a person tripped over a stone planted deep beneath the dirt? How long has a minuscule pebble, which skipped across the water's surface, been beneath a lake or pond? These things are the things that Siegfried will never learn, for he, is in fact, not a rock.

"Oh?" He'd utter, gazing upon the cave he'd stumble upon. Dented into the floor were the signs that movement had trapped over these grounds, they were so impossible to miss, that even Siegfried could spot them. He gazed into what may be beyond the cave... Then decided to go in.

Inside the Cave North of Yemaya
the-dark-rock-tunnel-with-light-illuminated-in-the-end-3d-rendering.jpg

From: https://www.istockphoto.com/nl/search/2/image?phrase=entrance+to+the+fantasy+cave
Time: 11:10
Languages: (Woodland Animal) | <Beastial>

As the brave knight entered the dark of the cave, he'd find it surprisingly desolate. There didn't seem to be any plant or animal life here. The ground was smooth, yet slippery and muddy, with the occasional puddle of water. However, after going through it for a bit, he could hear some voices and saw a light-source in the distance. It seemed to be from a flickering fire.

<“Nyaaa! I'm sorry.... I really thought it'd be here!”>

<“I know... but what do we do now? I'm tired, hungry and I want to go home...”>

<“We'll go... try! I'll catch that eel next time! Then we'll eat and make it back!”>

It seemed like these voices were stemming from the ones he was sent out to find, judging by their youthfulness and topic. Were he to sneak/rush/walk up to them, he'd soon spot two kids, sitting around a small fire, one of them (the bird) teary-eyed, the other (the cat) trying to act brave. Both looked like they'd been in the wilds for a bit longer than healthy for them.

???
63sAu1H.jpg

???
nNzFMWU.png

(Ignore the weapon.)
BkUQ2gv.png

Closest source I could find:
https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/789044797200261164/

The stories of pebbles and stones

• Trudging through the cave was not quite easy for the monocerous. Being that it was dark, and, Siegfried was not one to see colour variations well. He'd often find himself walking into a wall because the walls of the cavern seemed quite similar to the darkness that the nominal knight scarce saw. Soon and pleasantly fortunate, Siegfried would be able to distinguish a distant light in the dark.

This light was followed by the odd noises of beastial, which was not at all the same as talking with animals, because everyone, propably, knew that beasts and animals are not at all the same species. With that, the presumed knight would walk towards the noises with light steps with his shoulders tensed.

Soon, he would relieved and find it pleasant to finally find, what he would assume to be, the two missing children. He would breathe a sigh, his shoulders slump back. "There you lot are. The people of the village were worried," He'd look at the two with knitted brows. The children seemed to be quite sullen, and... Was one of them crying? The kenku kid's teary eyes prompted Siegfried to smile, "Pardon me," He bowed, "My name is Siegfried, I am an aspiring knight and the people from Yemaya were worried about you two's disappearance—" He would say softly, as he'd stand up and smile. "The village folk asked me to find you both."

He'd tilt his head, noticing how they seemed to look more rugged than a cat owner's curtains. "You two... Have either of you eaten yet?" He'd ask, "We would best be headed to the villagers with haste if you have not." Siegfried would suggest. He did not regularly carry any food with him... It would likely do him good to do so, in case of future occurrences like this.

From: https://www.istockphoto.com/nl/search/2/image?phrase=entrance+to+the+fantasy+cave
Time: 11:10

When he revealed himself, the bird kid immediately rushed to hide behind the cat one, who took a 'defensive' stand, which was mainly raising her tail up straight and making a hissing noise. As he started talking, they did calm down a bit.

???
nNzFMWU.png

(Ignore the weapon.)
BkUQ2gv.png

<“Can... can we trust him?”> The bird kid asked.

???
63sAu1H.jpg

<“Of course not. Remember what we were told in the orphanage? Never trust a stranger offering to take you somewhere.”>

She looked at him with defiant eyes. “How do we know that you were really send by them and not just some creep trying to kidnap us?” She asked, her eyes glossing over him.

On the topic of food, he could hear the cat's stomach growl. “We... we can take care of ourselves! I nearly caught an eel a while back, if it wasn't so slippery!” She stated, even though her words and current appearance did not at all match up.

The bird was a little more eager to trust him. “Are... are you really a knight?” He did not know what the word 'aspiring' meant in common.

Follow me, I am a fairy. Do you not believe in fairies?

• The two children continued to talk in what Siegfried could only comprehend as some sort of language. It sounded familiar to him, he probably heard it sometimes during his time staying at the orphanage, although, he never bothered to learn this language. Which seemed to be a mistake as of now.

Whilst the girl stared him down, Siegfried would simply smile. It made sense for her to be distrustful of him, and it was good that she was. It at least meant she knew how to keep herself, and who he assumed to be her friend, safe. Although, in this case, Siegfried was indeed someone here to take them back to the village. "I am incapable of currently proving my role, however—" He extended out his hand, "I can promise you that I am indeed sent by the villagers. If it makes you feel safe, I could give you my weapon and armour 'til we get to Yemaya." He'd propose gently.

The would-be knight's tail twitched subtly behind him at the mention of the Eel. "Do you mean the eel of the pond?" He'd say, Siegfried's smile subtly faded. "Let me say, that eel was the Frog Princess of the pond, she was cursed by a witch and transformed into an eel, losing her memories in the process..." The monocerous crossed his arms and stared with half-lidded eyes. "She found it horrible when you attempted to pitch her out from the waters. I would that you do apologise to her before our return." Siegfried would relay.

A soft sigh escaped him, as his expression softened. "I am not an official knight of any lord or priest. I aspire to be one, as, it is a dream of mine. I want to help people," He'd smile at the bird kid, "You two need to eat and rest somewhere cleaner. For the sake of your stomachs and the village folk who are worried for you, would you let me guide you two back to the village?" He'd again ask.

Time: 11:20

???
63sAu1H.jpg

<“Why does he want to give us his armour and weapon... I don't think I can even use those...”> She whispered to the bird kid.

???
nNzFMWU.png

(Ignore the weapon.)
BkUQ2gv.png

<“I don't know, maybe it's to trick us?”> The bird kid whispered back from behind her.

“Nyaaaaa.... just leave it sheeted.” She eventually stated, still unsure of what to do with him.

However, his next words made her turn back to her bird-friend. <“Oh no, he thinks he can talk to animals!”> Even to someone not understanding the language she whispered in, she sounded a bit panicked. <“He must be mad... like those people we were warned about!”>

<“What... what... what do we do?”> The bird stammered, even more afraid.

<“We'll play along with him and we make a run for it as soon as we can!”> She whispered, figuring that was their best option.

<“But... but... I'm hungry... and tired... I don't know if I can outrun him!”>

<“I know, I know, but we'll have to try. We can do it, together, right?”>

The bird nodded hesitantly.

The catgirl turned back to Siegfried. “Oh no, that's horrible! I had no clue that eel was a frog princess! I'm soooo sowwwy~” To anyone with a shred of insight or empathy, her act would be obvious. “I'll totally apologise! I promise!”

The bird, meanwhile, had gotten a tad bit braver due to his stomach growling like a wolf. “You... don't have food... but you'll bring us to it?” He knew it was likely a trick, but food sounded great right about now. Really great.

Follow me, I am a fairy. Do you not believe in fairies?

• Siegfried was completely unaware of the children's inner whisperings. They had the amazing ability to be able to talk [Beastial] after all, which, although presumably being raised in an orphanage run and mostly populated with beast folk; Siegfried did not at all understand the aforementioned language...

When the cat-eared girl stated what she'd want the would-be knight to do with his armour, he'd nod with a slight tilt of his head. He'd smile and assumed nothing of it.

Unfortunately for the monocerous, he'd lack basic cognitive-empathy—as well as even slight insight due to his lack of it on his own part as well. He only recalled basic things, like the names of common flowers and how to approach animals without agitating them, even then, he'd struggle with it. Siegfried would simply smile and give a simple nod to the girl. 'Brows relaxed, as his content was easy to see.

His tail twitched again, as he perked up at the sound of the kenku's quite audible stomach. He felt a slight pang in the corner of his cheeks, "That is true," He'd affirm, "I will guide you back to the village. I do promise so—" Siegfried's tail perked up in a swift sway, he'd suddenly procured an idea.

"If it pleases you, I could tell a story, it may help distract from your stomach!" The so-proclaimed knight would say, turning around and preparing to move. "We would best be quick. I will tell it as we walk; It is a fairytale about a Unicorn and an Orphanage," said he, as he turned back to look at the two. Siegfried... Only could tell a single story from the top of his head. Whether he could tell it fair as day... Well.

Cave North of Yemaya
latest

From: https://overlordmaruyama.fandom.com/wiki/Northern_Cave
Time: 11:40
Weather: Nice and Sunny

As all that comes in must eventually come out again, so did the group leave the caves. Of course, the kids made sure to keep some distance from Siegfried. They didn't trust him all that much yet. In fact, they were already talking amongst themselves again.

???
nNzFMWU.png

(Ignore the weapon.)
BkUQ2gv.png

<“Guide us back..? We're not lost..? Right?”>

???
63sAu1H.jpg

<“Nya! Of course not! It's just west and then more west from here! We went in a nearly straight path!”>

She puffed up her cheeks. This was an insult. “I know the way! It's just in that direction!” She pointed west. “We're not lost! We just underestimated how far it was and how little food we'd find along the way and how long we could stay there whilst searching...” She grumbled, realising they did make a fair few mistakes. If only she'd just gotten that delicious looking eel.

The bird perked up at the mention of stories. “Stories? Oh, I like stories!” He said, being a tad bit less weary of Siegfried for the moment.

“Unicorns? Nya! Is it true that they only let virgins ride on their backs?” Somehow, that was one of the few things she heard about them.

That said, at the mention of 'orphanage' their soured again. They didn't really have good experiences with those, after all. Life on the streets had been tough, but at least it'd been better than the orphanage. “Did... did that unicorn come to eat the orphans..? I don't like such stories...” The bird asked, having started to doubt where this might go.

How many fairytales have you heard where the protagonist stabs themselves in the stomach and bleeds to death?

• The nominal knight raised an eyebrow the felinesque's statement. "I see, then I apologise for my rude assumptions," He'd answer while walking onward. He looked at the trees as they all passed them. "However, what are your reasons for leaving your shelter in Yemaya in the first place?" Siegfried would ask, "If you perchance require assistance, I would be glad to provide it." He'd add, he wondered for what they may have the need to leave. After all, the village folk seemed to care enough for them to provide food and be worried enough to send someone to search for the two's whereabouts.

The monocerous found himself smiling to know that the kenku kid was seemingly interested in listening to a tale, however, his feline friend's next clause of words would bemuse the self-proclaimed knight. Not in Siegfried's previous life or this comparably short one had he heard of a term such as 'Virgin.' From the sounds of it, the word was likely used when referring to a certain type of person... However, Siegfried did not want to seem more the unwise in front of youngsters.

"Well~" He'd drag out, "Riding a unicorn should be nearly impossible. After all, they are destined to a lonesome fate, for they cannot interact with aught and none can see them," The so-called knight explained. Siegfried laughed at the bird child's question as he'd hold his stomach briefly;

"Aha ha ha! Of course not!" He'd chuckle, "Unicorns do not ever eat, nor do they sleep, breathe and scarce it is they ever speak or feel..." The former monocerous sighed as he began the story, "Far beyond your stars, there is this place unlike yours. A place where snow falls eternally, and in this land, a unicorn was born. Unicorns bore the sole purpose of making the land prosper with their miraculous magic, yet our unicorn had a brittle and weak horn, making their miracles just as weak.

It pranced through the snow for a long time, searching for a place where it was green. Where flowers could bloom, and birds could sing. Yet, the unicorn would never find a place like that. Instead, the unicorn would come across a small orphanage. The unicorn gazed into the windows, watching as children sulked to the matron about wanting to play outside. The unicorn thought that perchance, they could make the children of this place happy.

So once the moon was full, and the clouds were clear. It entered the orphanage's yard and with its silver horn..."
    Siegfried paused. How appropriate was it for children to hear of a story about a creature ending its life so... brutally? He had never considered it before, but not many children from the orphanage he came from reacted well when he said the unicorn tore a hole into his stomach and bled to its death. He'd gotten in trouble for telling that story as is... Hm. "With its silver horn—The unicorn smashed it... Into the orphanage's wall. It shattered into dust which scattered all over the snow, causing it to melt away and grow green grass over the barren floor beneath.

However, a unicorn could not live without its horn and the creature knew this. So he'd wept and wept until the sun would rise, his tears seeping into the dirt and causing gorgeous flowers to burst into blossom all around. Once no more tears were shed, the unicorn itself would too become a flower, a great white rose. The orphanage's yard became a garden where no snow would ever fall again.

It was warm, and no matter how many times the flowers were picked, they would grow back immediately the next day, twice as beautiful and fragrant. However, not even the most young children dared touch the white rose the unicorn became, for it was more grand than any other flower in the garden... The end."
    He'd finished, he was telling this story with quite a bit of levity. He'd turn to the two children, and smile. "So what do you think?" He'd ask.

Pond North of Yemaya

Time: 12:59
Weather: Nice and Sunny

His way back towards the pond had taken a fair bit longer with the kids in tow. The fact he was telling as story didn't speed things up either. The story itself, however, had clearly gotten them interested... but not before they explained what they were even doing all the way out there to begin with.

???
63sAu1H.jpg

“Nyaa, they said there was a cave with treasures, but there totally wasn't! The cave was all empty!” She complained. “We've been looking through all crevices and corners and tunnels for like...” She counted on her fingers. “Five days! Then all our food ran out, but there was only one more tunnel to check, so we figured we'd do so, but that was empty as well, but when we got to the pond to try catch...” She realised her slip-up. “... to ehm... drink some water?” She nodded, great excuse. “To drink some water to stave off the hunger, we didn't succeed either!”

???
nNzFMWU.png

(Ignore the weapon.)
BkUQ2gv.png

“It was horrible, horrible! We couldn't even find edible plants! Nothing!” The bird kid complained.

As for his story, the kids would occasionally intercept with a reaction or question. For one, on the topic of unicorns themselves. “Destined to be lonely? Being a unicorn sounds horrible!”

“If you can't see or interact with them, do they exist?” The bird asked a surprisingly clever-ish question.

“They don't feel? Nya~ That's lame!” She puffed her cheeks. Unicorns sounded rather dull, surprisingly enough. “Although it'd be nice not to have to eat...” She mumbled, being reminded of her rumbling stomach.

When Siegfried's got into the flow of the 'main' story, however, they quieted down. That sad, when he asked them what they thought, the questions started flooding in.

“Why would he break his own horn?”

“Why can't a unicorn live without it?”

“If the unicorn became a white rose, could he at least feel the sun then?”

“Nya! If unicorns can't feel, why did he feel like he should break his horn for them? Doesn't that mean he felt empathy for them?”

“If the flowers grow back twice as beautiful and fragrant each time, wouldn't they become really overwhelming to smell and see? I think we learned expo... <exponentials> in the orphanage. That it gets bigger really quickly!”

“Nya! He's right! Did they sell the flowers, become rich and then sell the orphanage with its magical garden to some wealthy noble and dump the kids out on the streets?” She'd ask it as if it was the most casual question ever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back