• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

    Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy [Isekai Hell][Ciu'nan]Orson's Feast IV

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon
1706313602997.png

Hathaway listened intently to the conversation between Jia and Akim. The priest himself was still abit surprised at the fact he himself was here aswell. So when Akim gave his reason for allowing the young man into his school, he bowed in respect. "I very much appreciate you for the opportunity, Sifu," he spoke with a smile of gratitude on his face. Still, his was concerned about the comment towards Daichi. Seeing the bearkin, he couldn't help but be worried at his sorry state.

Hathaway was then surprised at the sudden mention of himself, "Me!?" he exclaimed. What could they want with him? he pondered. Was it possible him being here was more of an offense than he thought? If that was the case, how much did he have to plead for forgiveness? If anything, he had to ask why they weren't taking Karsh instead of him. He looked over at the artist once more, who had that displeased expressing while serving the other students.

When it came time for him to answer Jia's question about their assignment, Hathaway hesitated in a moment of thought before speaking, "Yes that is the case,..." Jia was not only a member of the council but also the victim of the incident. There was plenty reason to trust him. He leaned his head low and spoke lightly enough for only the few of them to hear. "Me and my friends were given license to investigate the incident on you Jia. Just to make sure that it truly was an 'accident' after all. We simply wish for Orson's Feast to go on without any issues. We're investigating to clear away any worries. Part of that was speaking to Karsh, who we heard wasn't too pleased with you, Jia. Yet when we went to his place, he was nowhere to be found, well until now that is,"
 
b6ba8dd2fd5402385691eb5f1c0118ec.jpg
Alexei waited for Crymaria at the top of the ramp. He offered a paw when she drew near. Her strange footwear seemed to grip much better than the boots he was familiar with.

"Oh, you'll see that now and again in forests: broken limbs and rotted trees fallen over. Some of this is natural, I s'pose, but most of it is from those toads wrestling one another or jumping around like they do."

Down below, Boris hesitantly waded into the water. His massive paws sank into the muck, but his strength pulled them free again. The process of getting unstuck did cause him to walk a little odd though. Boris moved under the tree and looked up to where Crymaria and Alexei were hanging out.

Alexei motioned with his paw to draw Crymaria's attention to the trunk of the tree they had climbed up to. There nailed into the tree's core were planks arranged like rungs of a ladder. Alexei pointed upward as he took to climbing. The rungs travelled up the tree fairly straight, then abruptly spiraled around the trunk about two-thirds the way up. About that point, the tree began to grow up at a slant, so the rungs swung around as they did to keep the climber on the topmost side. The rungs stopped when the grade of the incline was low enough to walk on more or less comfortably.

f9b4046ddbccbcb7e85f9aec31696b79.jpg
From this height (around 20 feet off the ground), it was clear that this tree was actually hunched. For some reason it had been made to grow at a slant, causing it to reach into the branches of a neighboring tree. Alexei began balancing across without hesitation. The tree bounced slightly underneath them, especially as they neared the other tree. As he entered the neighboring canopy, he grabbed onto sturdy-looking branches as he maneuvered from the hunched tree to the bough of the new tree.

Below them, the frogs could be heard. Presently, some heavy splashing sounded from nearby. The tree branches would obscure much, but it appeared as though two somethings were quarreling on the ground 50 yards away. Alexei stooped down as he maneuvered closer to the tree trunk then around to a branch closer to the action. Much was obscured by the branches and a separate tree in the way, but one would still see flashes of legs, water, muck, and branches flying this way and that.

Eventually, the commotion came into view. Two large frogs were "wrestling" as Alexei had described. One frog had stretched its mouth around the face of the other while their front limbs were slapping at each other. The one being bitten performed a powerful leap, launching them both horizontally across the bog. Luckily this jump took them further away from the scouts' and Boris's general location.

"C'mon, our next crossing point is below us. We call it the River of Sticks because, well, it's a river of actual sticks, but also, if we get caught here, we may well be meeting the ferryman." Alexei whispered as he began descending the tree.

What lay below them was a portion of the bog that used random pieces of tree and driftwood in place of actual ground. From the thrashing that had just occurred, some wood had been piled up, sharing a vague similarity to a beaver's lodge. Other such mounds dotted the area. Most of the piles weren't very tall, only around three feet on average, with a few standing closer to four or five feet tall.

It sounded like the wrestlers had taken their beef elsewhere, but looking out over the bog, more shadows were moving in and out of the fog. They were entering the frogs' territory now. Sudden splashing sounds approached from behind, but when the pair turned, it was only Boris coming to meet them. Alexei leaned in close and barely dared to breathe as he spoke.

"Stay low. If they approach, do not run. They're attracted to motion. Our target is that sunken shelter over there." Alexei pointed towards an old stone structure several yards out. One corner was submerged in the muck, while the opposite corner was raised into the air. A tree had sprouted out of what used to be a doorway on the raised side and now branched out over top of the sunken structure. Alexei crouched and alternated between walking on two legs and all fours as he began crossing towards the structure.

Time: 8:40am






7d4671b58706f5511c19f0911f224a3e.jpg

524b7e83bf44a17e10fa65e8702d338d.jpg

On the southwestern corner of the meadow nestled at the top of a mountain, sits the monastery of Kruhrin. Disguised as a mundane mountain village, the monastery houses the bearkin monks dedicated to Orson. As ordinary in appearance as the town itself, the monks look no different from farmers and simple folk.

The main building served as the dojo where the bearkin honed their bodies and martial arts. Dummies of wood and stone were arranged in various chambers for different levels of practice. One room had weapons lining the wall, while another was set up like a tea room. Whether they were simply disciplined or secretly preparing for something was anyone's guess.

Akim patiently listened to Hathaway's explanation. His eyebrows raised slightly at the news of an investigation into Jia's accident. He glanced over to Karsh when he was mentioned as well. When Hathaway finished his explanation, the sifu turned his attention back to Jia.

"You had me look after one suspected of doing you harm?" Akim looked perplexed but then his eyebrows raised with revelation. He leaned closer before continuing. "You had him brought here so that we might punish him more...freely, like in the old days?" An excited yet dangerous gleam flashed in his eyes.

Jia simply held up his tiny paw.

"I told you, Akim, we are not in Kuridan anymore. It's time we left all that buried in the mountainside. The world is changing. We must adapt with it. As for Karsh, I still need you to look after him for me, and as an honored guest, hm? I don't mind if you have him do chores, but he is not to come to harm."

Akim settled back in his chair, a look of disappointment replacing his former excitement.

"You are still witholding something, are you not? What is happening in Kruhrin, Jia?" His tone bore the disdain of one who is being left out of a big secret.

Jia cleared his throat and pushed his bowl aside. He tapped the bench next to him.

"Sit down, boy. You're making everyone stare." Jia said at a volume that was surprising for his size. The students that had been watching them from the main table abruptly turned back around to their bowls. Jia let out a sigh. "There's some kind of outbreak happening in Kruhrin. Lady Bao and her helpers have been observing it carefully since the first few cases presented themselves. They thought it to be from some spoiled food, but the symptoms are too severe and progressive. They can ease some of the symptoms, but if nothing changes, there will be casualties.
"Furthermore, Lady Bao has taken charge in Misha's absence. She has put bearkin treatment first, and won't even see other beastkin, let alone our many non-beast guests."


bb99b20428bf1fc4f3768927fbf3d266.jpg
"As she very well should!" Akim interjected approvingly.

Jia frowns before continuing. "If we let our friends die, who will help us when we need it, Akim? If we are known to other towns as the bearkin who abandoned even their closest friends during this crisis, who can we depend on? Bearkin are strong, and very proud of that strength, but we are not invincible. This situation may very well be our undoing if we handle it poorly." Jia says somberly before slowly turning to Hathaway. "Which brings us to the reason I am here: you, young priest. What healing power you possess is direly needed back in Kruhrin. You will focus on those whom Lady Bao has neglected, which unfortunately is everyone else. Perhaps the war and bug problem to the south can be thanked then for granting us a lower attendance this year."

Akim chuckled lightly to himself. Jia looked to him curiously.

"After humbling your artist friend only a moment ago, I must now be humbled by you, dear Jia. Very well. You may have the priest if he is willing. I will not forsake my kin in their time of need."

Jia clapped his paws as his grin renewed itself. He slid out from the table with comedic effect as his standing height was about the same as his sitting height.

"Ah, good, then I'd like to take Daichi back with me as well."

Daichi looked up suddenly. "Me?!"

"Shall I give you the rest of my students as well?"
Akim said with a frown.

"Oh, no, that would be silly." Jia said with a laugh. "I only have room for three! So, what say you, priest? Daichi? Ready to head back?"

Daichi immediately jumped up with an excited "Yes!" Jia waited patiently for Hathaway's answer.

Time: 11:48am

ecad7748732a93cae79a8d3547053978.jpg








24750ed38ce17ea22d8e5634a726a72e.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
As Ciu'nan ran along the upper terrace towards the town hall, there were several figures shambling towards the same destination. Despite their numbers, Ciu'nan couldn't help but see a silver lining: at least they COULD shamble towards the town hall. How many others were bedridden like Anasi? Was this outbreak worse than it appears even now?

She was getting close now. The entrance to the town hall was apparent due to the crowd now forming around it. Although predominantly beastkin, other races were present among those now protesting outside the large double doors leading into the town hall. One bearkin stood guard in front of the entrance, permitting no one to enter.

"Wei!" Ciu'nan cried when she finally recognized him. Worming her way through to the front of the crowd, she looked up slightly at the bearkin guard. "Wei, what's going on? Why can't we enter?" Ciu'nan cried over the din of the crowd.

The bearkin hunter tilted his head slightly as his eyes honed in on the fae woman addressing him.

"By order of Lady Bao, the bearkin are to be seen first. Aid will be given to all other races on a first come, first serve basis as resources allow." He knocked on the door behind him as he finished. It was opened by another bearkin guard on the inside. Wei addressed the crowd. "All bearkin in need of treatment please enter the town hall. If you are a foreigner, you may wait here to be permitted entry. Depending on your condition, Lady Bao encourages those who are able to seek medical attention elsewhere if possible."

The crowd was a mixture of relief from the overwhelming bearkin majority and outrage from the foreigners among them. Ciu'nan felt a smaller figure wedge next to her. Looking down she saw the catkin duo. Gray was panting heavily from having basically carried White all the way from the inn.

"Wei...please...! White needs...to be seen...!" panted Gray, still supporting his partner.

Wei's head inclined further to stare at the much shorter pair. His eyes narrowed with remorse.

"He can be seen after the bearkin are tended to." replied Wei.

As Gray stared up in shock and disbelief, the bearkin began entering through the guarded doorway. The catkin watched them pass, his panic becoming obvious. Ciu'nan placed a hand on his head between his ears. When he turned to look up at her, she gently shook her head. Gray tensed, making him appear as a toddler that had been caught in the act of doing something they shouldn't. His ears drooped as he looked sorrowfully at White, who was panting and moaning occasionally. After a moment, Gray's ears stood up straight as determination glimmered in his eyes.

"We'll just...find treatment elsewhere then! There must be another healer in town--magical or otherwise!" said the catkin as he began dragging his friend through the crowd. Ciu'nan found herself absently following after them, trying to part the crowd for them when she could.

"Another healer...." Ciu'nan said as she followed behind the pair. "There was that priest...Hathaway was his name. I think he knows healing magic."

"Did I hear you right, Miss? Were you saying you knew a healer just now?"
came a voice from below. Ciu'nan looked down to see a short figure completely wrapped in cloaks and wrappings. Ciu'nan stopped as well as the catkin at the sudden appearance of the stranger.

"I...did...who might you be?"

"Just another soul interested in finding a healer in these trying times. Say, I know! How about an exchange, hm? You tell me about this healer you know, and I'll tell you"
--the small figure hunched somewhat and put a hand to the side of his mouth--"about the secret entrance to the town hall. Hm? How does that sound?"

Ciu'nan perked up.

"A secret entrance? You know of such a thing?"

"Yes, yes, I assure you my information is true. Known to very few indeed. So rare is this knowledge that I fear I am losing in this deal should you take it."
The peculiar stranger dramatically drapes the back of his hand against his forehead in a mock faint.

"Please, stranger, tell me what you know. I must get into the town hall quickly!"

The small figure wags a finger side to side as he tsk-tsked the fae.

"Ah-ah, don't be so impatient, fae. Considering mine is the weightier information in this exchange, it's only fair that you share first."

"If you know of a healer, Miss, please share with all haste!"
Gray insisted.

Ciu'nan looked between the two. She adjusted her skull hat as she answered.

"I only met him briefly. He was rooming at the tavern. His name is Hathaway. He introduced himself as a 'priest of the church'. When I met him, he was in priestly attire: flowing robes and the like, carried a staff. He started training with a young bearkin named Daichi, and he changed into more...monk-like clothing, I guess you could say. Last time I saw him was yesterday evening in the town hall. I think he and Daichi left with some serious-looking bearkin. Not sure where they went. That's all I know."

The small figure put a hand to his chin and made thoughtful noises as Ciu'nan shared her information. A moment of silence passed as he appeared to process it. Then he put his hands together and bowed to Ciu'nan.

"I thank you for your information. Yes, I think this priest is exactly what I need. Now, then, your compensation." The figure took a few steps towards Ciu'nan and motioned for her to come closer. She knelt and put her ear towards him as he cupped his hands around his mouth to impart his wisdom. "Follow the terrace down past the town hall. There will be a ridge on your right where the mountain remains natural. Climb atop this ridge and look for a gathering of three bushes sprouting out of the side of the mountain. There in the midst of them will be your entrance." The figure withdrew, but added, "It comes out in the town hall's cellar. Be a good girl and replace the stone covering the entrance."

Ciu'nan nodded then spoke a quick 'thank you' as she turned and ran back towards the town hall.

Time: 8:55am
 

Character Grade - E

Titles: Human, Martial Artist, West Empire Adventurer, Do-Gooder, Loyal

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law

Actions/Cooldown

Crymaria watched as Boris waded through the water until she was confident nothing bad would happen. Then she turned to Alexei, who was getting her attention as they started to climb up the tree for a moment. Pausing as she saw the rungs in the tree and how the branches were explained. These frogs seem to be far more interesting than I originally thought and maybe a bit more dangerous at that. However, I still think it was foolish for them not to study the frogs or develop some method of keeping them away. She thought to herself as she grabbed onto the rungs and started to follow Alexei up the tree for a bit.

Once she was able to walk on the tree she continued to follow the guide as they moved from one tree to the other. Though she had to admit that the the bouncing of the tree was slightly concerning but, if it held the bearkin it should hold a human right? As they entered the next tree over Crymaria paused for a moment as she glanced down noticing the height difference they were at now compared to before. That was when the frogs finally came into view to which she tilted her head for a moment as she looked at the frogs.
They certainly seem stronger than one would think a frog to be. She thought to herself not wanting to really making any more sounds than she had to at this point.

She watched as the branches and limbs went every direction until the one frog lept up into the air and they disappeared from view for the moment. As Alexei explained the next section of the swamp Crymaria cocked an eyebrow at the name. "A river of sticks you have to be kidding me right Comrade?" Crymaria inquired as she followed him down to the next level so they could prepare to cross to the next stopping point. As Boris approached she reached out her hand and started to pet the bear on the head before turning back to face Alexei.

"Comrade Alexei, I think if they spot us even not moving wont help us," She pointed out as she started to follow him as he crossed attempting to keep as low to the ground as she could to prevent from getting spotting by the frogs or anything else.
 
Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon
1706665667143.png

''Of course," Hathaway responded to Jia's demand by sitting down in a seat. With the other students seeing him chatting so closely to Akim and Jia, he had to worry if he was already giving off a bad impression of himself. Whether that was the case or not, he figured it didn't matter since, from what he gathered, the culture of the bearkin seemed to be pretty steadfast in their views. He had already knew he had plenty of work to do with Akim, and now the same could be said with his fellow practitioners.

"Seriously? Just what exactly are the symptoms? Is there anything we've learned at all so far?" Hathaway questioned, becoming increasingly worried about what was happening outside. He had to force himself to not yell his inquiry. Hathaway was unaware whatever dire misfortune had settled Kruhrin, but that wouldn't stop him from helping. The fact of Lady Bao's discrimination almost escaped him. "Wait a minute. Is this true about Lady Bao's actions? I know she is strongly for the support of Bearkin, but for a healer to allow discrimination to cloud their work is a dishonor!" he spoke harshly with an indignation that surprised even himself.

Upon hearing Jia's request for him once again, Hathaway stood from his seat firmly. "I'll do whatever I can, however I am still only one person. It would be hubris of me to say I could take care of everyone in time. Well...that depends on the amount of individuals needing treatment so far. Still, when given the chance, I'd like to speak with Lady Bao." he spoke steadily after deliberating over the details. Then there was the matter of using magic in Kruhrin. Lady Bao forbade it but considering the discussion he had with the council about healing magic last night and the events now, he wouldn't be discouraged from doing the best he could to help others.

The priest fastened the staff tied to his back, "I'm ready. I'll be using whatever means necessary."
 
b6ba8dd2fd5402385691eb5f1c0118ec.jpg
The branches bobbed as Alexei, Crymaria, and Boris crossed the river of sticks. Under their feet, remnants of branches and trees jutted out of the muck providing a semi-solid surface on which to traverse. The mounds were solidly compacted down into the muck below, allowing them to support weight. Sometimes the topmost branches were completely free and shifted suddenly as weight was put on them.

Alexei continued his two and four legged alternate walk, stopping suddenly to look around before continuing. His head was continuously moving, giving him the appearance of an owl or some kind of curious bird twitching its head this way and that. He would point when the shadows of frogs started becoming more clear as they moved closer, diverting his own path to put more distance between him and them.

This game of "keep away" caused the trio to take a scenic path more than once, forcing them to go out and around in a rough arc until the structure lay between them and the encroaching shadows. Alexei was laying on the side of a mound of sticks, poking his head out just enough to get eyes on the area between them and the shelter.

Several frogs had clustered together on the far side of the sunken stone building. A few others drifted in and out of the fringes of the fog. One sat atop a stout mound a stone's throw from the structure droning contentedly to itself. The sound of their many croaks was heavy and hypnotic in its steady cadence. A devout person might enjoy it for its meditative quality, but for the interlopers there in the bog, it was a constant warning that their next move could be their last.

f9b4046ddbccbcb7e85f9aec31696b79.jpg
Alexei stared intently at the squatter near the structure and the several shadows all around, looking for a way to sneak by all of them to the shelter. Even if they succeeded, as soon as they poked out to start climbing the tree sprouting from the structure, they'd surely be spotted. Boris would be a sitting duck as well.

That's when a strong gust caused the fog to roll over the area, enveloping Alexei, Crymaria, and Boris as well as the structure they were heading to and the frogs beyond. It was a momentary inconvenience as the fog was not heavy enough to linger and obscure vision for long. As the fog began to disperse and restore visibility to what it was, a loud shriek from overhead caused the droning to go eerily quiet. Through the fog the sound of splashes receding into the distance could be heard in the direction of the structure.

In response to the shriek, Alexei had ducked back down behind the mound on which he lay, but now he scrambled back up to peek over the top once again as the fog thinned. When the structure came into view, the frog sentinel was gone. Alexei looked around but the shadows were also gone. The droning had not started again either.

The bearkin scrambled up to the top of the mound, urgently beckoning with his paw for Crymaria to follow. Alexei moved purposefully towards the structure using a more direct path than before, but still crouched behind mounds as he passed. Another shriek suddenly pierced the air somewhere ahead of them. The sound of a multitude of splashes could be heard rapidly approaching.

Alexei turned and whisper-shouted, "Make for the building!"

[Combat Rules are in effect. Alexei, Crymaria, and Boris are 120ft from the structure. Movement is halved for Medium sized creatures due to the bog and debris. ]

Alexei
1. Move 30ft (Movement, Fast F)
2. Move 10ft (Dodged incoming frog)
3. Move 15ft (Movement, normal)
Total: 55ft/120ft

As Crymaria and Boris move towards the shelter, a frog scrambles towards them. They will need to bypass it.

Time: 9:00am






7d4671b58706f5511c19f0911f224a3e.jpg

524b7e83bf44a17e10fa65e8702d338d.jpg

On the southwestern corner of the meadow nestled at the top of a mountain, sits the monastery of Kruhrin. Disguised as a mundane mountain village, the monastery houses the bearkin monks dedicated to Orson. As ordinary in appearance as the town itself, the monks look no different from farmers and simple folk.

The main building served as the dojo where the bearkin honed their bodies and martial arts. Dummies of wood and stone were arranged in various chambers for different levels of practice. One room had weapons lining the wall, while another was set up like a tea room. Whether they were simply disciplined or secretly preparing for something was anyone's guess.

Jia would beckon Daichi and Hathaway with his paw as he left out the way he had entered.

"We can talk about that on the way. Say, Akim, do you still have my old cart here by chance?" Jia said, dipping back into the feast hall to add the last bit at Akim. Akim stood and addressed his students.

"Finish eating and clean up the hall--that includes you, human. I shall return shortly." Akim turned and calmly followed the trio out of the hall. "Your...cart? Did you not ride here in one...?"

"Oh, Orson's paw, no! I ran."

"You ran...? All the way from Kruhrin...?"

"Indeed. So where is the cart?"


Jia had been leading, but now Akim moved to the front of their group as he navigated them out a side entrance. They emerged onto a small yard beside the main building. Akim went to a barn that stood nearby and drew back the main door revealing a rickshaw that could seat two. The shafts used to pull it were positioned much lower than the traditional design.

"It was a good joke when I got you this. Your face was worth every coin I paid. What do you need with it?"

"Oh, I'm going to transport these boys back to Kruhrin in it."
Jia said waving the would-be passengers onto the cart. "Go ahead and climb in, lads."

A look of confusion tilted Akim's features.

"You jest. The joke is that you are too small to move it, Jia. What are you playing at?"

bb99b20428bf1fc4f3768927fbf3d266.jpg
"If I jest, then you are playing the part of a blind man, Akim. Have you not noticed by now?"

Akim stared in bewilderment at his small friend, squinting as though the secret to Jia's confidence would be revealed. He moved closer and stooped down to put himself face-to-face with the councilbear. Suddenly, his eyes widened as a paw raised towards Jia's face but stopped short of touching him.

"She used it then...?" said Akim, his tone expressing wonder.

"Yes. You should know she was as stubborn as an owlbear about it."

Akim chuckled lightly as he slowly stood.

"You will be here tomorrow then?"

"Can't miss the ceremony, can I? I fear Lady Bao would be more displeased about that than using the last flower."


Akim rubbed the back of his head.

"The last flower is gone." he said as one trying to convince himself of something. "I was hoping it would be me that would benefit from it. Bah, we shall talk tomorrow then. Get going."

Jia gripped the arms tightly and hoisted them up to his waist, which wasn't that high at all. Leaning forward slightly, he took a tiny step forward and the cart immediately began to move without any hesitation. Tugging the rickshaw out of the barn, Jia followed a narrow path around to the front courtyard and out the main gates.

Time: 12:08pm

ecad7748732a93cae79a8d3547053978.jpg








24750ed38ce17ea22d8e5634a726a72e.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
Ciu'nan jogged back past the town hall. The bearkin had been let in and the remaining ailing non-bearkin were milling about, unsure of whether to wait in hopes of being let in or to seek help elsewhere. Some, like the catkin, had already left.

Arriving at the natural portion of the mountain as described by the stranger, Ciu'nan turned and easily jumped up the crags to the top. The side of the mountain containing the town hall rose up on her right. She scanned the section, but did not immediately see the gathering of bushes the stranger mentioned.

In the early morning light, she began frantically searching for the landmark she had been given. More than once Ciu'nan pondered whether she had been tricked. She looked up. She looked down. She considered whether the bushes could be higher up. Maybe even on the very top somehow? Just as she was about to give up, the fae discovered her quarry completely by accident when she nearly fell into a crevice whose opening was cleverly hidden by the uneven terrain. There sprouting out of the side of the hole was the bushes spoken of by the stranger.

Hastily hopping down, Ciu'nan used her flight to hover as she peered into the midst of the hidden greenery. A door disguised to match the rock it was affixed to was revealed. She felt around until a handle was found and gave it a tug. Wrenching the door open, she crawled into the tunnel, closing the hatch behind her.

Crawling on her hands and knees through the rough tunnel was not comfortable, but it was the only way she knew to get inside. Ciu'nan hadn't even thought of what she'd do once she was in. It seemed unlikely that she would avoid the guards forever, but their numbers were few, so she had a chance.

Finally the tunnel opened up above her. She reached up and felt another trapdoor. Her hands searched eagerly for the handle. Finding it, she started to throw it open, but remembered she was supposed to be sneaky. More calmly and slowly, she carefully opened the door, peeking out when she had the room. The cellar was dark. No one seemed to be around. She could hear faint sounds from the upper floor echoing down on the far side of the room. Raising the hatch the rest of the way, she quickly and quietly emerged from the tunnel, replacing the trapdoor as she had the first.

Suddenly, her [Danger Sense] kicked off as something attacked her from behind. Several others emerged from hiding places to also attack her. In her confusion at the sudden assault, she allowed herself to get hit from behind. She was wrestled to the ground as her consciousness faded.

Time: 9:37am
 

Character Grade - E

Titles: Human, Martial Artist, West Empire Adventurer, Do-Gooder, Loyal

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law

Actions/Cooldown
1. Used Fast f , Energized F (30 ft)
2. Used Fast E (120 ft)
3.

Crymaria looked around as they continued to push further into the swamp. She could see the structure they were going to start making their way towards. Letting out a sight of relief as the shrieking and the frogs moved further away. She looked over at Boris and gently patted the bears head before continuing to follow Alexei as they started to transverse the river of sticks. Then came the stampeded that was off in the distance. As Alexei told them to run he didn't have to tell Crymaria twice. She motioned for Boris to follow as she used Fast F and energized E as she attempted to go around the frog. Followed by Fast E to get further ahead in an attempt to make it to the structure to at least hopefully avoid getting tramped by their new found guests that were coming this way.
 
Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon
1707364672109.png

Hathaway was awed by the cart that was shown to Daichi and himself. "Have you ever ridden in one of these,...Daichi?" He questioned the bearkin beside himself, having to force himself not to say 'master'. He couldn't help but still feel that strange sense of awkwardness from earlier. Just how serious did Akim take offense to Daichi being referred to as a master? The priest still wasn't sure.

Hathaway hesitantly stepped onto the cart, unaware of the integrity of its craftsmanship. "I will make sure to be back as soon as everything is settled, Sifu Akim." He proceeded to bow in respect toward the elder. He sat in his seat and let Jia carry them. He thought about riding a fuss that he shouldn't let them do all the work, but figured such complaints would be disrespectful.

"If I may ask, what are the details concerning Lady Bao and the flower?" Hathaway, while watching the trees pass by. He was rather impressed than Jia could pull them at this speed especially considering they had only recently healed from their injury.
 
b6ba8dd2fd5402385691eb5f1c0118ec.jpg

[Combat Rules are in effect. Alexei, Crymaria, and Boris are 120ft from the structure. Movement is halved for Medium sized creatures due to the bog and debris.]

Despite the water they trudged through and the incoming frogs, Crymaria was small and nimble enough to weave through the intial wave of the stampede and surpass Alexei in the run for the structure. In the final stretch, she encounters the main bunch of frogs. They were packed close together, so weaving through them safely as she had done before would not be possible this time.

Crymaria
1. Move 30ft (Movement, Fast F)
2. Move 60ft (Movement, Fast E)
Total: 90ft/120ft

Boris was nowhere near as small as Crymaria, so in order to fulfill her orders and follow her to the structure, the large bear charged into oncoming frogs, using his strength to shove them out of the way. Unfortunately, the frog he pushed aside was the same one Alexei had to dodge. Now, Boris was 30ft behind his master who was faced with an impenetrable wall of frogs. The command to follow Crymaria stands.

f9b4046ddbccbcb7e85f9aec31696b79.jpg
Boris
1. Move 30ft (Movement, normal)
2. Attack (Superstrength F)
3. Move 30ft (Movement, normal)
Total: 60ft/120ft

Alexei had to dodge Boris's handiwork, but that made him see how valuable the bear was in their current task. His next move was dashing for Boris's side. Alexei's wounded leg would give out unexpectedly, however, causing him to stumble. The pain would slow him down as he tried to catch up to Boris.

Alexei
1. Move 30ft (Movement, Fast F)
2. Stumble
3. Move 7ft (Movement, injured leg)
Total: 92ft/120ft

Time: 9:00am

2d2c5ed92cdd3ee106cc1a3e4a08988f.jpg









8e2179f19baa714f8f8fb6b0e48ae651.jpg

Daichi shook his head as he climbed in next to Hathaway.

"I've heard the older bearkin talking about them before. They were mostly used back in Kuridan from what I understand. I haven't even seen one until now!" Daichi said, his tone implying his own interest in the contraption.

Rain poured heavy as the rickshaw departed from the monastery gates. The small roof over the cab kept some of the damp away, but its occupants would find the ride bumpy and wet as Jia tugged them along.

"Confidential, I'm afraid~!" Jia called playfully over his shoulder. "What's important is that you two get what rest you can. I know how Akim's training is." The small bearkin was hardly winded at all despite the load he was hauling.

ecad7748732a93cae79a8d3547053978.jpg


Time: 12:10pm







24750ed38ce17ea22d8e5634a726a72e.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
Ciu'nan would fade in and out. Every time she started to wake up, a new wave of sleep would take her again.

Time: 10am
 

Character Grade - E

Titles: Human, Martial Artist, West Empire Adventurer, Do-Gooder, Loyal

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law



Actions/Cooldown
  • Northern Strike- Fighting Style Northern Bear Style (Natural Weapons) F, (Aura F, Frost), Natural Weapons F, Energized F- Crymaria delivers a strike using her Aura to deliver physical and frost damage to the target upon contact. - Grade F - 0 Post Cooldown
  • Maul - Superstrength E - Boris attacks a target with the ability to push up to 600 lbs. Must be within melee distance. - Grade E - 1 Post Cooldown

1. Wait for the others to catch up
2. Move to the nearest mound of sticks.
3. Commanded Boris to use Maul

Crymaria turned on her heel as she weaved her way through the crowd of frogs. That was until she saw the next group of frogs which would cause a problem by itself. Seeing that the other two were not so lucky, she saw Boris and Alexei were still making their way towards her. "Comrade Boris, use Maul and push through the frogs, there are more of its comrades that are coming!" She shouted hoping they would be able to push further into the bog. But at this point, this was turning into a fight that they were hardly prepared for. At this point, it was probably better to start backtracking to where they had come from.

"Comrade Alexei, it might be better to fall back, better to live to fight another day," Crymaria suggested as she had her focused now on the frog. her hair starting to once again fall from her hat as it was shaken loose.
 
Last edited:
Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon


1707988492064.png

Hearing Daichi talk about the cart, Hathaway began to wonder of the possibility of humans doing such a thing in other regions. Not just that, but he had a very vague memory of such a job in his previous world. Being reminded of 'old bearkin' brought his mind back to the conversation earlier, "So, what's the connection between the Akim and Jia? They seemed to know each other quite well." he asked Daichi to just help pass the time on their ride.

Under the wrath of the incoming rain, Hathaway couldn't help but have to slide closer under the roof in order to not get totally drenched. "I'm suprised you're even capable of this Jia, let alone after your injury?!" he became more impressed with bearkin physicality while being dragged along the awkward terrain. When his questioned the flower was denied, that made him even more curious to it's nature. The priest was starting to get the feeling there was something bigger going on, "I see, I can't say I'm satisfied considering the situation we're in but I won't press it right now. You're right, it's best we try to get whatever rest we can," he admitted regrettably. However it wouldn't be easy considering how rocky this ride was, Hathaway folded folded his arms and leaned back with his eyes closed to try his best to nap.
 
b6ba8dd2fd5402385691eb5f1c0118ec.jpg

[Combat Rules are in effect. Alexei, Crymaria, and Boris are 120ft from the structure. Movement is halved for Medium sized creatures due to the bog and debris.]

Crymaria climbs atop a nearby mound of sticks. The surface was loose and sticks shifted and pulled free as she mounted it. Her new vantage point was perfect to shout out her order to Boris, who would charge past her as he followed through.

Crymaria
1. Wait
2. Climb (Movement, normal)
3. Command Boris
Total: 90ft/120ft

Boris charged fearlessly on. The urgency with which he moved was spurred on all the more by the fact that his comrade was in danger. At the sound of her voice, his attention zeroed in on Crymaria. The order had barely left her lips before Boris's body swelled and a mighty roar escaped his lips. His muscles rippled as his claws tore up the sticks and muck underneath while propelling him forward. The frogs closed in on Crymaria's position as Boris charged in from the rear. His master stood unmoving atop a pile of sticks, displaying her confidence in his ability to defend her. While the frogs seemed to simply glide through the sticks and water, the same debris clung to Boris.
(20 feet)
Pulling at him.
(15 feet)
Dragging at him.
(10 feet)
Trying to stop him.
(5 feet)
...
Boris clashed with the frog nearest to Crymaria, the force of the impact rattling her mound of sticks. The frog was lifted up by the force of the tackle and fell backward onto its back. This in turn backed up and diverted surrounding frogs to either side of the conflict. Taking the initiative, Boris chomped down on the frog's shoulder/neck. The frog was still thrashing against the bear, particularly its longer, more muscular hind legs which extended and contracted as it struggled. Others would need to be wary while passing by.

f9b4046ddbccbcb7e85f9aec31696b79.jpg
Boris
1. Move 30ft (Movement, normal)
2. Attack (Ability, Maul E)
3. Attack (Basic)
Total: 95ft/120ft

Alexei smirked despite his pain as it seems like Crymaria had read his mind. Boris worked like a charm and punched a whole in the incoming wave of frogs. All that was left was for them to make it to the sunken structure. "Get inside, girly!" Alexei called as he hobbled past the mound she stood on. Giving Boris and the frog a wide berth, the gimp bearkin managed to duck inside the doorway.

Alexei
1. Move 15ft (Movement, Fast F, injured leg)
2. Move 7ft (Movement, injured leg)
3. Move 7ft (Movement, injured leg)
Total: 120ft/120ft (safe)

Overhead, the disembodied cry that had been herding the frogs now rang out again. This time it originated from the direction the frogs had just scurried. Now the wall of frogs returned once more.

Time: 9:00am

2d2c5ed92cdd3ee106cc1a3e4a08988f.jpg









8e2179f19baa714f8f8fb6b0e48ae651.jpg

Daichi laid his head back, but, like Hathaway, wasn't having much luck in getting to sleep. He seemed to enjoy being able to rest and close his eyes nonetheless. Without opening his eyes, he answered Hathaway, "I only know the stories we've been told over the years by Lady Bao. Getting Sifu Akim or Master Jia to talk about their past is like trying to get an East Empire noble to talk about how much they love beastkin.
"Anyway, according to Lady Bao, the bearkin served in the Kuridan army at the beginning of the war 50 years ago. During that time Sifu Akim and Master Jia rose through the ranks with Sifu becoming a general and Master Jia serving under him. Lady Bao says that their roles could have been reversed had Master Jia been more ambitious--"


"Oi, that doesn't sound like resting!"
Jia interrupted before muttering under his breath. "Lady Bao needs to stop spilling all my secrets...."

Daichi opened an eye to peek at Jia when he interrupted, but now the eye closed once more as a smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth. When Hathaway addressed Jia, he offered a quick reply, "You are witness to a miracle, my boy! That said, let's just say my present vitality won't be an 'everyday' sort of thing."


ecad7748732a93cae79a8d3547053978.jpg

Time: 12:15pm







24750ed38ce17ea22d8e5634a726a72e.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
Ciu'nan would fade in and out. Every time she started to wake up, a new wave of sleep would take her again.

Time: ???
 

Character Grade - E

Titles: Human, Martial Artist, West Empire Adventurer, Do-Gooder, Loyal

mentions: Clyvelle Clyvelle Kenju Law Kenju Law



Actions/Cooldown
  • Maul - Superstrength E - Boris attacks a target with the ability to push up to 600 lbs. Must be within melee distance. - Grade E - 1 Post Cooldown

1. Fast E moved toward structure
2. Called Boris to follow
3.

Crymaria looked over the battlefield as the frogs closed in on her position. She rolled her eyes as she saw Boris charging toward her position. Well, at least the frogs will be a bit surprised. She thought to herself. She saw as the Boris made contact with the frogs and campled down on one of the targets. Smirking, she hopped down from the pile as Alexei called back to her to follow him to the structure. She quickly followed their guide as she gave space to the frog that was currently struggling with Boris. Quickly she pushed to reach the structure so she could duck inside once reaching the target.

"Comrade Boris! Follow!" She called out to her companion as she looked at back over her shoulder to see what was going to happen next. Though if they could reach the safety of the structure, it would make all of their lives easier. Though the fact the frogs knew where they were was slightly concerning at the moment. But there wasn't much that could be done about that right now.
 
Hathaway
Titles: [Human], [Priest], [Landless Lord]
Clyvelle Clyvelle saxon saxon

Hathaway was surprised by what Daichi has said and carefully examined the body of Jia. His impression of the beastkin was rapidly changing in just a short amount of time. "Really now? I can certainly see Akim in the military but I never imagined Jia too. And at that level too. A lesson learned in not being fooled by appearances." He commented with a smile.


"I pray I can be so active in my later years as well, if there's some form of trick to your suddenly vitality I'd like to hear it, but I suspect that too is on a 'need-to-know' basis." Hathaway surmised regrettably. There was still plenty he didn't know about the bearkin's culture. The priest didn't want to be nosy however , he wanted to make the most of this endeavor.


Thankfully Daichi had been a great help and he was already noticing his friends mood brightening ever since they left Akim. "I'm still in your debt Daichi. The next time we eat, dinner is on me. Oh and that goes for you as well Master Jia." He spoke genuinely, a smile still on his lips. With that, Hathaway once more leant back to rest.
 
b6ba8dd2fd5402385691eb5f1c0118ec.jpg

[Combat ended.]

As Crymaria made her way around Boris and the frog, her comrade chomped more vigorously at the still squirming frog. Boris tore his maw free of the reptilian flesh, removing a large, bloody chunk as he did so. He mounted his upper body atop the now bloodied frog, pressing it down in the murky water. The frog would stop moving as Crymaria called for her partner to follow her.

Alas, all Boris could do was remain outside the medium-sized door through which Alexei and Crymaria entered, the former ducking to do so. Boris remained in front of the door, their ever vigilant sentry. The splashing of the oncoming frogs could be heard, but they seemed to part around the group's location. Perhaps the dead frog served as a deterrant?

Crymaria and Alexei now stood inside the structure. A large portion of the back end had sunken down at an angle into the muck. Water had been trickling in through the doorways and windows for some time now, allowing a thick layer of sediment to cover the floor. Stone brick walls, now buckling from the uncertain ground, held up a heavily deteriorated roof--mostly trusses and rafters now.

f9b4046ddbccbcb7e85f9aec31696b79.jpg
Immediately to the left of the entrance, the wall had been severely compromised by a tree that now sprouted up from the interior floor and base of the wall itself. In all likelihood, the tree had saved the building from sinking faster than it had. Its roots now occupied most of what was now the highest corner of the building, while its trunk now protruded through the wall, partially supporting what was left of the roof.

Alexei leaned against the base of the tree with a sigh of relief. After catching his breath some, he looked down at his injured leg. The muck the scout had applied to his leg was now mostly washed off by the jog through the swamp. A deep red ooze stained the green-tinted fur of his leg despite the wrap he had put on it earlier.

"You know...," said Alexei through a few final pants, "...we don't have a 'Contest of Speed' for a reason!" He relaxed back against the tree a moment before pushing himself up and hobbling over to the cracks and spaces in the wall, trying to get visual of the outside. "We'll wait here a moment. I don't like the idea of climbing up with some unidentified banshee screeching above the mist. Want to see what it's doing with the frogs too."

The next twenty-five minutes would pass as they watched and waited. The screeching call came regularly, urging the frogs to rush once more across the swamp to a new location. Not once did the creature above descend to feed or otherwise present itself. Although the mists did swirl and churn in its wake as the creature remained just out of view in the clouded atmosphere. Alexei moved to lean against the tree once more as he stared at the ground thoughtfully.

"That screeching is a problem. Some giant bird maybe...but I've never heard anything like it before. Definitely never seen or heard of the frogs acting this way because of another creature's call. Like they're actually scared of it as big as they are. And the way it's causin' the frogs to move all together. Grouping them up....We have to let Wei and the others know."

Another screech echoed over the swamp. Boris stood at the ready outside the door. Splashing could be heard approaching, but it was off in the distance. The frogs were scurrying by at a different angle, their trajectory a stone's throw out from the structure.

"It's gotta be you, girly. This leg is gonna give me trouble. You and your friend there can get out of here and warn the others. I'll wait here. If I get a chance, I'll try to get back myself."

Time:
9:25am
saxon saxon

2d2c5ed92cdd3ee106cc1a3e4a08988f.jpg









8e2179f19baa714f8f8fb6b0e48ae651.jpg

Daichi turned his head lazily toward Hathaway.

"You'd buy a bearkin dinner? Ha! You don't know what you're in for!" Daichi chuckled a bit, wincing slightly as he did so. "I appreciate it though. The past few days have been crazy, but at least you and I have become friends."

The rain seemed to have thinned some as Jia had apparently pulled them ahead of the storm ever so slightly. While nice, it wasn't like the trio could get much wetter at this point.

The brooding sky definitely made the meadow appear less inviting. Despite this, as they came up on the path leading over to the wetlands, a lone figure could be seen coming from the direction of Kruhrin. An avian styled mask covered the face with a hooded coat obscuring much of the rest of the individual. A peculiar staff adorned with some kind of skull aided them as they walked against the oncoming rain. Jia perked up, but his pace did not slow as they rushed past the stranger.

ecad7748732a93cae79a8d3547053978.jpg

Time: 12:24pm
Kenju Law Kenju Law

f61163eaf1ea8007064c30161b589f85.jpg







24750ed38ce17ea22d8e5634a726a72e.jpg
Ciu'nan
| Fae | Merry |
Merry - character is frequently overcome with fae like merriment. While more respectable individuals may try to hide their amusement at improper times, character freely displays their amusement. It is often contagious.
Ciu'nan would fade in and out. Every time she started to wake up, a new wave of sleep would take her again.

Time: ???
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top