• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Is the site running slowly for anyone else?

Ammokkx

Here to deliver the token Loli.
I've been having the same issue for the last week or so, namely that the site runs like ass. Every time I scroll it's always in huge chunks with about three seconds in between jumps and typign something out can be a nightmare because it doesn't show up as I type, or at least not on larger pages. My computer isn't even weak, heck I just upgraded it. Is there a particular reason why the site is lagging behind all of a sudden?

I've been having the same issue for the last week or so, namely that the site runs like ass. Every time I scroll it's always in huge chunks with about three seconds in between jumps and typign something out can be a nightmare because it doesn't show up as I type, or at least not on larger pages. My computer isn't even weak, heck I just upgraded it. Is there a particular reason why the site is lagging behind all of a sudden?

I'm not having this issue, but the troubleshooter in me will suggest the following; check to see if you are experiencing a memory leak somewhere.  If you use windows (more recent versions), you can use the task manager to see how much memory is being use and by what applications.

If it's not that, perhaps too many tabs are open?

Have you restarted your browser/computer recently?

There are so many variables that can cause a site to slow down.  But based on how it sounds, it's not the site itself but rather your PC's performance.

I'm not having this issue, but the troubleshooter in me will suggest the following; check to see if you are experiencing a memory leak somewhere.  If you use windows (more recent versions), you can use the task manager to see how much memory is being use and by what applications.

If it's not that, perhaps too many tabs are open?

Have you restarted your browser/computer recently?

There are so many variables that can cause a site to slow down.  But based on how it sounds, it's not the site itself but rather your PC's performance.

Naw, everything that could normally be attributed to my PC screwing up doesn't seem to be the case. Like I said, I even gave it an upgrade recently. I have no trouble running any other site or program, just this one in particular is hella chunky for me. Tabs aren't an issue as I only have seven open at most, which even my castly inferior laptop can handle without an issue. I always shut off my computer when I don't use it for more than an hour, so that isn't the issue either.

Very strange indeed.  Usually when typing on a site lags, it's not actually the site but the computer itself since typing is what I could call a "passive action" and problems site-wise will only occur during an "active action" like when clicking "submit reply."

After a google search, new question, are you using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse?

Yeah, I'm using a wireless keyboard. Still, that shouldn't prove to be an issue since I'm not experiencing slowdown with it on any other application except for this website. Considering my mouse itself is wired, it'd be strange for the scrolling to be chunky.

Yeah, I'm using a wireless keyboard. Still, that shouldn't prove to be an issue since I'm not experiencing slowdown with it on any other application except for this website. Considering my mouse itself is wired, it'd be strange for the scrolling to be chunky.

Well, not sure what to do then.  It's just awfully strange to only occur on a single site.  If it was a browser, PC, or hardware issue it'd have options regarding fixing it.  Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Well, not sure what to do then.  It's just awfully strange to only occur on a single site.  If it was a browser, PC, or hardware issue it'd have options regarding fixing it.  Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

It's fine. If it's of any help, I'm using the night life layout on google chrome. Maybe that's more intensive or something?

Update: Night Life was indeed the problem. Went back to the default, now everything's buttery smooth. How very strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Night Life was indeed the problem. Went back to the default, now everything's buttery smooth. How very strange.

Hm, I had heard that night life was causing issues, just didn't know what they were.  It seems whenever there is a background update, HPs default to NL theme.  I'd report it as a bug (if it hasn't already).

The site was completely down for me this morning.  There may have just been a few technical issues.

The site was completely down for me this morning.  There may have just been a few technical issues.

Nope. Tried Night Life again, still getting major lags. Meanwhile, the other two layouts don't give me any lag.

Yeah, probably crappy internet, crappy phone or traffic.

I've got some of the fastest internet available to me in Belgium, don't use a phone and have had the same issue for a week so traffic is highly unlikely. Considering it's also this one very specific site with a very specific layout, I doubt the biggest part of the problem is my tech.

I use Night Life and I'm not experiencing this.  Some very minor lag, but other sites are much the same for me.  What browser are you using, please?  And do you know when you last cleared your cache/cookies?

I use Night Life and I'm not experiencing this.  Some very minor lag, but other sites are much the same for me.  What browser are you using, please?  And do you know when you last cleared your cache/cookies?

Chrome. Also, I haven't cleared either in a while. I would, but I've got flash games I currently don't want to lose progress on.

Odd.  I'm in Chrome myself.  Then again, electronic devices I spend time on tend to pick up little quirks (good ones as often as not), and there's been a few reported bugs now that are happening on Chrome/Night Life that I'm just not experiencing.

IPS (the software the forums run on) did just do an update.  Possibly Night Life hasn't caught up to the update yet, and that's why it's running slow.

I actually experienced what @Ammokkx said basically over last weekish as well, only in the past few days has it cleared up and began to run like it used to again (back when i joined). No real idea what caused it either. :P  But its working perfectly fine for me, now.

(I also use wireless keyboard/mouse)

I've actually been experiencing problems as well. If I click one thing on the website when on the home page (like messages or notifications), I notice that when I go to click to check something else I have to reload my page before I can get it to open. I'm typing from a laptop, and my boyfriend has checked everything to make sure it's not a problem with the computer, heck he found a problem he thought might cause it and fixed it and it didn't work, the website still makes me reload the page again if I want to check messages after I check notifications. (Or I can wait five minutes and eventually the messages screen will open.)

Night life has been laggy and choppy for me since it's creation, and the other themes do much better in comparison. I believe this might actually be on the site's end perhaps.  It's nothing but a guess, but it's been reported by quite a few thus far and seems sporadic on who encounters it and who doesn't. I'd guess there's some sort of bug in the themes coding, but I wouldn't know for sure obviously, merely a guess. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back