• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Into the Sunset (A Wild West interest check)

Sleipnir

The Eight-Legged Norse Horse
Introduction
When maps started getting made, and people started returning from excursions and wilderness expeditions with stunning paintings, vibrant prose-y descriptions, and tall tales of hardship and heroism, all eyes were turned on the great expanse of the world beyond the Mississippi River. All eyes were turned upon the Wild West.

People from all walks of life went looking for something out there: Something bigger, something hopeful, something adventurous, or perhaps something new. Whatever the case was, people began flocking to the gateways to the newly-opened west, and they brought all they could with them to build a new life out there in some great, unknown world beyond the edge of civilization as they knew it. In order to build that newer, bigger, more adventurous or hopeful life, though... you had to get there first. And getting there, it turns out, can be full of twists and turns, hardships, and adventures all its own.

Most traveled with wagon trains. Certainly, that would be the easiest, safest way to go, when you had dozens of other folks around to help you, to protect you, and to support you through the harsh, wild, and utterly foreign wild west, and there was no telling just what you might find on your way out there. Maybe mischief. Maybe danger. Maybe drama, romance, mystery, or adventure. The only way to find out for sure was to strike out, and head west.

Idea/Expectations
Hello! I am once again asking for your attention and interest in some good old Yeehaw Antics.

Today I come to you with the idea of a wild west, period drama-style game following a group of characters as they make their journey across the west to whatever destinations might tickle their fancy -- be that a rich eastern family going out to make a new fortune in California, or a cowboy just looking for a pay check, a destitute widow looking for a new lot in life, or any number of other possibilities. Plenty of things drew people out west from all walks of life and from all over the world, and anything could play into what brings someone out here.

As far as tone goes, I intend for this to be a vaguely mid-1800s setting, but I'm playing somewhat fast and loose with the rules to play more in the realm of something akin to the hit tv show Bridgerton, but angling "western" instead of high-society regency. Why? Because improbable gun tricks, slightly flamboyant cowboy 'fits, and a focus on interpersonal relationships, drama, and the like sounds like fun. I would love to be able to dip into serious themes and more serious drama, but I don't want that to be "the rule" for this. This ain't The Hit TV Show Yellowstone, and I'm not trying that hard to be quite that serious. The high stakes of a brush with banditos can be fun, but there's much more to explore.

As far as posting and post length goes, I'm not super picky and I'm not expecting novels from anyone! I might get carried away and write quite a bit, but that doesn't mean anyone else has to. (That just means I really like the southwest and got carried away describing it because I'm a huge nerd about this rock I mentioned.) All I really want is for folks to feel comfortable writing within their comfort level and building a story together.

I don't really have expectations for where exactly this will go, either. I'd love to let people talk ideas out, devise little tangents between characters, and more than anything, play with the possibilities we see in so many other period dramas around family disputes, romance, drama, and the like, as well as fun opportunities that only get presented in a wild west setting that often get ignored in western content in favor of shootouts and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, shootouts are great, but plenty more happens on a trip out west than bandit raids!

As a "game master", so to speak, I don't really intend to impose that much control over scenes, character interactions, or plots. I plan on writing up some nice area descriptions, and will move time along as needed or impose natural disasters or other group-wide events if we want to have some, but beyond that, I'd love to let the characters do as they will to develop relationships, drama, and all that good stuff.

Oh -- and one other note. Let it be known that the wild west is an LGBTQ-friendly place, and characters of all sorts are welcome!

I am as well. I enjoyed your Dreams of Eden rp, and would love to do something similar

Same as Lost Echo Lost Echo I enjoyed Dreams of Eden, shame it didn't carry on, so you can count me in once more

tom hiddleston loki GIF

Fantastic! I plan on posting a thread soon, hopefully this weekend; I posted this check not long before a very significant move to a new state, new job, AND new time zone, so I’ve been a little otherwise occupied!

I'm a sucker for a good wild west rp, count me in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back