• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Inked In Blood [Closed]

Lucyfer

Said you'd die for me, well -- there's the ground
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Alexandros Constell did not recognize himself as he stared in the mirror.

The man who had become accustomed to dark suits and sunglasses now found himself in what he considered a terribly tacky, verdantly dark green suit, with gold trim, and suggestions of leaves and plant-life clinging to the design, including vining gloves, a blooming flower upon the pocket of the suit, and a nest as a hat.

Worst of all was the mask that was forced upon him, was a feathered guise meant to give the appearance of a bird that would no doubt be a part of the nest design. He hated everything about it, and he could hear Evan chuckling as he continued to assess it with so much distaste the mask couldn’t hide it.

“Well, I could not very well throw you into a red dragon suit, could I? We must have some mystery.”

“I hate it.” He turned to Senator Evan Cornell, the man who may as well have not been in costume at all for the white suit and flowing white cape. There was no theme. It was just fancy attire, and a fancy mask, although they were supposed to be themed. Evan would no doubt bullshit a theme, like any politician, but the truth was he hadn’t wanted to look ridiculous or offensive to anyone.

This way he looked good, and was fairly inoffensive in the white.

“Good. Then it’s even less obvious who you are.” Evan said, “Now come along or we’ll be late to the masquerade.”

Alexandros sighed, but he did follow down to the heavily tinted black car, and he took his seat in the back with Evan. “I’m expecting Tessa and a few others tonight, but for a while, you should just mingle.”

“Mingle?” Alexandros’s nose crinkled at the idea.

“Yes,” Evan said it slowly, despite being a single syllable word, and enunciated it in that annoying way of his, “Mingle,” similarly said. “I need to get a feel for the situation, before I decide what I would like you to do this night.”

“Isn’t it protect you?”

Evan chuckled, “Yes,” he agreed, “but the manner in which. There will be plenty of people there. I need to determine who has actually arrived, and who hasn’t, before I send you away from the party to protect my interests. So you need to mingle and act as if you aren’t tied to me, so that when we chat briefly, no one has reason to think you did anything on my behalf.”

He winced as he realized, “You expect me to do the job in this ridiculous thing?”

“I do,” he nodded, “You, and Tessa.” He agreed, “You will need to start showing her the ropes, and this is the perfect way to keep both of you well hidden from any and all prying eyes.” Evan smiled up at him from under the mask, “Wouldn’t you agree?”

He did.

Alexandros still gave a heavy sigh, and leaned back into the plush seat, closing his eyes. “The things I do for you,” he grumbled, but the distaste held a hint of play to it. He did it somewhat against his will, but only because he hated being a dog for a senator. The things that Evan did were in line with things he wanted to do.

Things he used to do, albeit more violently.

So, when they arrived, Evan left the vehicle first, right at the front of the grand gala with its golden domed roof, while the car drove away to let him off elsewhere. He had no issues getting in, flashing his ticket and walking in to see all the people in variously boring, un-themed attire, or immaculate, flashy, themed attires.

‘Mingle.’

Alexandros hated this idea, but decided the best way to start was to find the fancy tray of champagne and start drinking a bit. He could talk to people there about the champagne. He could talk to them about food, because there would be all the little, ridiculous, finger foods.

Thankfully, the table of food and drink was easy to find, and Alexandros was able to grab a flute of champagne, though his fingers brushed against a woman’s white gloves. “Oh! So sorry!” she said, although he pulled his hand away first, and gestured for her to take the glass, “Oh, thank you,” she was stylized as some sort of water nymph, dripping pearls as if they were rarer than diamonds. “My! You committed to the dryad part, didn’t you?”

“Yeah,” was that what it was? Fuck it, it was now. “I’m not flexible enough for water,” he said, taking a glass for himself, “the pearls suit you.” They did not. The design was horrible.

“Thank you,” she took the flattery easily, “I’ve always loved them, and….” She droned. He knew how to keep up the conversation for a bit, and they were joined by some others around the champagne, conversation flowing between the taste of the beverage to the designs, including roasting others who didn’t partake.

‘You would get me stuck with a bunch of weirdos with too much money.’

That was basically the entire party, though.

“Excuse me,” he said then, as he thought he saw an escape, “I need to go say hello to someone,” he stepped out of the circle and did indeed make a pass to greet a strange man, briefly mentioning one of the common bills going around – this one about funding for the military, since that was the hottest topic right then – before shifting away towards the actual food.

If he was eating, he had a reprieve from dealing with people, right?

That was the theory that Alexandros ran with as he picked up some stupidly small sandwiches with greens in them. ‘No fucking meat?’ This party was getting worse by the second, especially when the bite was sour. Whatever sauce was used, wasn’t great. ‘I hate it here.’

~***~

…seen all of your moves
One step ahead I’m onto you
I feel nothing
When we’re loving
When we’re touching

The colorful lights flashed in the dark club, lighting up the sights that Damia Schaeffer wasn’t looking at with her eyes shut, body moving not just to the sounds. It moved to the literal sensations that pressed her one way or another, lost in senses no one around her was even aware of. It wasn’t as simple as the musical vibrations – although that was what she told most people, when she let herself escape into music, when she explained why she enjoyed it so much.

And she was enjoying that night, the bachelorette party for her dear friend Gina. They were, as such, all dancing near each other, with Loraine singing along terribly, but Damia liked the way her voice tasted, so she didn’t care about the sound much. Some things were worth overlooking, especially in the heights of joy.

Don’t you know that you’re just a game to me?
My heart only wants what it wants
What it wants, what it wants—

Damia saw blue as the tinkling of her phone’s ringtone took her out of the moment, the very specific ringtone set aside for one man drawing her out of her reverie. She opened her eyes and settled a hand on Gina’s shoulder to steady herself back into reality as she reached down to the pocket on her shorts – masked as a very short leather skirt – and picked up the phone to a few whines and outcries from the girls who noticed what she was doing.

“Is that fucking Emilio?” Gina complained.

“Hello~,” Damia ignored the question as she answered the phone, not caring about stepping out somewhere private or escaping the noise. She could hear Gabriel perfectly. She always could. His voice floated over her vision, making it impossible not to notice it everywhere, anywhere. “Aww, really? Tonight? Ugh, fiiine, I’ll be there soon.” With a quick farewell, she was off the line and looking at the girls who had stopped their celebrating to scowl at her.

“It’s Emilio, isn’t it?”

“It’s the boss man,” she wasn’t technically lying, but everyone here thought it was Emilio. That’s how it was supposed to be. “I gotta go.”

“He can’t need that ass that much,” Loraine complained, and Damia laughed.

“You wouldn’t know how desperately he needs my ass,” the ongoing joke, that she was pretty sure most of them thought wasn’t much of a joke, even if it was treated as such. “This ass pays my bills, so if you’ll excuse me – I’ll buy another round for you all to make up for it.”

“He better make it worth it tonight!” Olivia called, “This is such bullshit.”

Damia just chuckled, and hugged Gina, before the others, sashaying her way to the bar to make sure to put money on the tab that was held for them – and took down one more shot – before heading out, getting on her motorcycle, and kicking it into gear.

She didn’t really care much about the rules of speeding.

Or stop lights.

Or anything else, really, as rock blared in her ears as she hit tight curves at full speed, drifted, and kept on even with her shoulder near the ground. It remained such a thrill. The alcohol helped to numb her sense of fear, but then again, she never really feared. Danger came as a powerful smell that she veered away from, and cops had a sound about them she could hear from far away. Or, at least, she said as much. How true it was remained uncertain, but then again, much remained uncertain about Decima of the Rainbow Eyes, and how she perceived the world.

It had been an experiment.

A potentially damaging one, and some would likely say she was damaged for her strange perception, but she never worried herself about those. She did keep it hidden, of course. Just as she kept her real job hidden, that caused her to slide her motorcycle into a parking spot outside of the office building Emilio worked in.

Some lies had to be continued.

She strode in only to change out of her club clothes, and grab her praetorian armor. It was akin to a motorcycle bodysuit, wonderfully skin-tight, cast in darkened colors of Gabriel’s growing empire, and wonderfully protective. She put on a helmet she neglected to wear before, and stepped out into the parking garage to hop onto another motorcycle – this one her job bike – before driving that out.

The two identities were kept hidden. It was often in plain sight, with a mark she wore constantly as a ring, but when she went to meet Gabriel himself she went covered until the point of contact. People didn’t need to know she was on more than a first-name basis with the Dictator.

He had called her to meet at a fine restaurant. It was a shame, really, she’d had too much to both eat and drink already to be hungry, but she supposed there might be decent appetizers. If nothing else, the food would always sound good.

The guards were posted outside, but they didn’t question her, nor stop her, as she walked through the door and found the place where Gabriel was sitting.

He wasn’t alone.

Damia took off her helmet as she approached and took her seat, canting her head at the stranger. She hadn’t bothered to remove the make-up, so the tattoo upon her eyelids was covered in a mask of green. Still, she analyzed him in that way she always did strangers near Gabriel – the pulses of colors, the scents, the sound that clung to his body, the taste just on the tip of her tongue, the sensation against her fingertips – even though her tongue never reached him, nor her fingers.

He was not familiar to her, but he bore the mark of the Praetorian all the same.

“Princeps,” it all came together easily enough, before she slid her dark eyes over to Gabriel, sly smile coming onto her lips, “Well, I guess this was a good reason to interrupt Gina’s bachelorette party, but I’m still upset with you, Gabriel.” There was something important if she was actually meeting the Princeps. “I did think he would be more red, though. More cinnamon and embers, but I suppose you’re smarter than that.”

She gave Gabriel credit where it was due. Green came off of the Princeps in strings, and she had an idea of why. The strings seemed almost physical, and she had a feeling they could become physical. She’d seen similar before. ‘Telekinetic.’ Smart choice. Fun talent. Not for her, though.

Tessa brushed over her appearance in the floor-length mirror, assessing her outfit for the evening. Orange and black colors swirling together like the monarch butterfly she was attempting to emanate, with a feathered mask attempting to mimic butterfly wings hiding her identity from those who didn’t know her too well.

Naturally her friends loved the dress, and were only disappointed they couldn’t join her that evening. Other plans, or just straight up weren't invited.

Being an Onassis, Tessa has the enviable position of being invited to nearly every high society party of the city, but that didn’t mean she enjoyed them. People who were in her circle were…exhausting, to say the least.

Fucking exhausting and fake.

But Evan told her to come. Come and mingle, I’ll find you when I need you.

Fucking cryptic man, but she adored him, even if her family didn’t. He didn’t have any family blood in the political circles like they did, but who the fuck else does.

The Onassis were certainly special.

Maybe that was why she adored Evan so much. Being able to climb as high as he did without a former name to himself, just sheer determination and intelligence.

Tessa mingled with a few people in the party, most of whom she knew, and who knew her. Who didn’t know one of the offsprings of a successful political dynasty? But Tessa didn’t care much for their false words. Everyone was a liar in their own regards, including her sometimes.

Politics was all lies and false smiles, precisely what was going on that night.

She eventually wandered over to the food table, famished by her lack of food that day. But, like every other party with rich people, the food was…lacking. Which was ironic. Rather, it was nothing substantial, which was a thought clearly reciprocated in the man standing near her.

The man near her clearly felt out of place, and disgusted by the food presented to them. She couldn’t help but chuckle at him. “I never liked those sandwiches either. They’re too sour, aren’t they?” She motioned a hand towards a small tower of mini sandwiches nearby. “Those are a little more savory. I won’t judge you if you decide to eat a few of those.”

He wasn’t someone that frequented parties like this, as she could gather from the emotions rolling off of him in waves. “Did someone drag you along to this soiree tonight?”

~~~

Dimitri Spanos enjoyed the simple anonymity of the bar, sitting and mindlessly watching whatever sports game was on the television screen as he waved off any attempts at questions by the bartender.

But he wouldn’t wave off the sound of his cellphone going off, interrupting his viewing of whoever the fuck was playing on tv. Not since it was his boss calling.

Damn. The game was getting interesting.

“Yes?” he answered casually before taking a long gulp of his drink. He enjoyed Gabe’s presence, but sometimes…he also really needed to not be sober to talk to the man.

“I need to see you now. You know the place. The usual.” No hellos, no how are yous. That was Gabe.

“Love you too. I’ll be there soon.” Dimitri smirked as he hung up. He motioned for one more drink, and once he gulped that down in one go, he paid up the tab and left for the restaurant. Plenty sober enough to drive my car.

A sleek, shiny new black sports car that can easily drive faster than the legal street limits, but not his only vehicle used to drive around the city. There was a motorcycle, and Gabe had his own arsenal of vehicles that he allowed Dimitri to borrow whenever he wanted, if he ever needed them.

Gabe paid really, really well.

Dimitri didn’t even bother changing into his typical Praetorian garb, but he still bore the mark on a stud earring with a fox head. Small enough to look like a typical piece of jewelry, but noticeable to any other Praetorians to understand the sign.

He strolled inside the restaurant that was empty save for the workers and Gabriel, who had already started on some soup. “Dimitri!” he called out with a jovial clap of his hands. “So glad you could come so fast. Sit, sit, we’re waiting for one other person.”

Dimitri took a seat with a raised brow. “Who else is joining us?”

“You’ll see when she gets here. But in the meantime, feel free to order anything” That was an offer Dimitri couldn’t refuse, and so he ordered something small, mainly interested in continuing his drinking adventure for the day, and as soon as the food arrived, the second guest appeared.

Not someone he knew, but she bore the mark of the Praetorian. Someone close to Gabriel. Maybe someone he had even mentioned in conversation once upon a time, but as he would never reveal names in such a casual manner, Dimitri would never know for sure.

But she was smart enough to guess he was the Princeps with such….odd words. Must be part of her powers. His thoughts didn't stop the odd look that crossed his face.

“She’ll probably have another bachelorette party,” Gabriel waved off Damia’s comment with a sly snark. Like he really cared. “So glad the both of you could make it. But first, I’m sure some introductions are in order. This is the Princeps, Dimitrious.”

“Please call me Dimitri,” he quickly interjected.

“And this is the Decima, Damia.” Dimitri gave her a polite nod, but nothing more than a quick glance over, sizing her up and making notes in his head.

Alexandros tensed as he heard the chuckle, worried a moment he was about to be dragged into another unpleasant conversation. Instead, he was directed to better food by someone who understood this sour shit was miserable. He finished his bite, of course – he never wasted food – but he eyed what the Monarch pointed at.

What else could he think of her as when that was how she looked?

“Yeah…they are,” he sounded too casual and he knew it, but he still reached for the supposedly better sandwiches and took a bite into one, finding it was worlds better. There was meat to it, and no offensive sauce that took away from the rest of it. He nearly sighed in relief, and grumbled as she asked about being dragged her.

“Yeah,” another easy agreement. “couldn’t get out of it,” he wanted to.

Despite her knowledge of his discomfort, though, she still held herself with the authority of one who had been to plenty. She obviously had the knowledge, so he knew he still had to step carefully, even if she was new blood. “Thank you for the tip – these are better,” he said, “guess we have similar tastes.”

Which might be questionable given his style. Not that he picked it, “I certainly would have preferred wearing more orange and red tones myself but,” he rolled his eyes behind his mask, “this was picked for me, too.” He still let a smile settle on his lips, “Can’t be trusted until I understand things a bit better, I guess.”

Which was true.

Not that he ever intended to know things well enough to fit in. He’d keep letting Evan doll him up and go along with the charade of it all.

~***~

It was evident that the Princeps didn’t know her, or know much of her. Not a surprise, really, Gabriel did a good job at keeping even the Praetorian from knowing each other beyond their titles, and occasional epitaphs that followed. Decima had her reputation, and she was certain the Princeps didn’t know it by his polite nod and subtly confused, unnerved, expression. She knew his, of course.

The Executioner.

He didn’t match it.

That was for the best.

That made him interesting. ‘Is this an execution?’ Gabriel wouldn’t be so obvious. Damia wouldn’t go down without a fight. Gabriel wouldn’t dare to be so near, even if he could defend himself quite well. He wouldn’t let Damia see it coming.

So this wasn’t an execution, for her. It was for someone, though. “Pleasure to meet you, Dimi,” Damia shortened it further simply because he had shortened it, fully aware he was unlikely to like it given his clear preference. “I hope you won’t mind if I stick to Prince, though.” If this was a one-off thing, it was better she not commit any names to memory. Prince was close enough to Princeps.

Although it might irritate Gabe. It suggested an Heir – something he’d yet to name. Something he’d yet to hint at. People certainly wanted to find a way into that position, though Damia didn’t care. Likely why she slotted in perfectly as Decima.

10th.

But not really. Whether the Princeps knew that or not was another fun mystery.

“You can call me whatever you want,” she gave him a crooked grin, before letting her eyes drift up to the poor server who wanted her order. “Oh – mmmm, that limonade with the rose, with the strawberry vodka, please~,” she smiled more nicely, “and then the pineapple sliders? Those were so cute.”

And off the server went, so Damia sighed, “So who upset you now, Gabriel? Must be someone…interesting.” She’d bet money on someone close. Or once-close, to call in both her and Prince. Someone very hard to get to, and someone Gabriel couldn’t be associated with killing.

Tessa chuckled again. The man wasn’t of her world, that was certain, by how casual he acted, but she wouldn’t judge him for that. Not like her family would. That just wasn’t fair.

She preferred to judge by one’s actions. Being so casual in this setting was more amusing than anything else.

“I couldn’t quite get out of it either. Been to one of these parties, you’ve been to them all. But unfortunately for me, I’m needed.” She was just happy to stay in her pajamas at home, maybe with a tub of ice cream to accompany her for some romcom marathon. But no, another night of playing dress up for a boss she hasn’t even seen yet.

But she smiled at him - kind, not one attempting to save face or feed false words of security. “I guess we do have similar tastes.” Tessa grabbed one of the sandwiches for herself and popped it in her mouth, small enough to do so.

“There’s a lot to learn about this world, so I would thank whoever is helping you navigate the party. You certainly look nice,” she smiled at him and grabbed two champagne flutes from a waiter who passed them by. “Would you like one?” She held out the flute to the guy, hoping that maybe a little champagne would relax him even further.

~~~

“Dimitri,” he insisted, not liking the name Dimi one bit. “Though I suppose I won’t mind Prince. Just as long as it’s not Dimi.” He hated the nickname from the moment it spilled from her lips. Prince didn’t sound any better, but if they were to remain not on a first name basis, it was for the best.

“Now that we got names and orders out of the way,” Gabriel said, rather impatient, “Someone has upset me greatly. Someone, actually in the Praetorians.”

Dimitri raised an eyebrow. “Who was it?” Fuck he didn’t do anythig, right?

No, Gabriel would’ve had a tell by now if one of them had fucked up.

“It’s Quintus. He disappointed me greatly, and it’s time for his service to end.”

Dimitri didn’t know much about Quintus, but none of them really knew much about the other. “Do we get to know what he did?”

Gabriel shook his head. “No, only that he betrayed my trust. And because of his skillset, I’m entrusting the two of you to help take him down. Bring me something of his to prove that he’s dead. Like a tooth. I don’t care, as long as it’s not his head. That much gore makes me a little squeamish, you know this.”

Dimitri sighed. Gabriel was full of shit sometimes, and that was one of them. But they all knew that. They all knew Gabriel has gotten his own hands dirty before to get to where he was now. “And let me guess, since he’s gone rogue, you also can’t locate him right now?”

“That would be correct.”

So the Monarch was indeed a frequenter to these parties, and one that was needed. ‘No one here is needed.’ Alexandros bit the inside of his cheek against saying such a thing. That was a surefire way to offend her and end the conversation negatively, which he wasn’t supposed to be doing, even if he had the safety of a mask.

He did sigh as she claimed he looked nice. ‘No, I look like an idiot. An idiot with more money than sense.’ Which was how the vast majority here looked. Again, he refrained from saying that, “Yeah, I’ll tell them that,” that they’d done a good job of picking out his outfit and getting him dolled up.

It did seem to be working.

Champagne was offered, and Xandros shook his head, “Sorry, no, but thank you,” even if he wasn’t technically on guard duty, he was also always on guard duty. He still knew where Evan was in the crowd, and would still jump in if he needed to do so. “I don’t have the luxury of being able to drink at these events.”

Perhaps that gave her some idea of his position. He imagined he wasn’t the only guard forbidden from drinking by their bosses, though he was probably one of the few who hovered so far away from his boss.

“Besides, I prefer whiskey. That stuff is too dry,” he said, “but I’ll hold a flute for you if you don’t want to hold both,” that was probably an odd look, right? He could at least hold one until she was finished with her first. Or find a place to get rid of it.

~***~

The Princeps minded Prince. His voice was sour with dislike, but Damia wouldn’t tell him that, just as she wouldn’t tell Gabriel how spicy his voice was when he was impatient. The flickers of fiery passion were something she’d always liked, even if it was so exhausting sometimes. Gabriel was always impatient, always looking for something. Honey and habanero. Such a fun mix.

Princeps wasn’t that mix, the underlying flavor of his voice still swirling as she sought the normal beneath the tonal tastes. Phantom Quintus – yes, she understood why she was brought in. She would see through any illusions or invisibilities Quintus was rumored to have. Although, she didn’t like the idea of having to guess it all on the fly.

It didn’t matter to her what he did.

“That is an interesting one. Phantom Quintus,” Damia hummed, smiling as the drink was brought, an offensively bright pink thing with an umbrella stabbed into a strawberry that she picked off and ate, “But there’s always more to it than that,” none of them were one power. Well, she practically was, but no one really understood it as far as she knew.

Just Gabriel.

She took a long drink from the cold beverage before asking, “What else does he do, Gabe?” she allowed the casualness then, now that they were assigned, “what was the last contact point? What’s his real name? Does he have family or loved ones?” Damia wasn’t against threatening them. She wasn’t against much of anything when it came to a hunt, really.

The Praetorian knew what they signed up for. Quintus shouldn’t have done whatever it was he did to upset Gabriel so terribly he’d decide on an execution. And Quintus knew it, too, if he was on the run. His privacy was now at an end. They could have the real information on him to narrow things down and find him.

Last edited:
The man’s emotions wavered before he spoke again, indicating that he wasn’t exactly saying what he wanted. Tessa imagined he wanted to say something more insulting to the people at the party, but stopped himself.

She remained on her guard around him, but did give him credit for watching his tongue. It wasn’t good to insult anyone at that party, even if you were in the same circle.

So she just smiled and nodded as he took his compliment. He didn’t like his outfit. Probably not used to being in such costumes, which, neither was she, but she had probably done it a few more times than he did, whoever her masked stranger was.

Tessa shrugged as he mentioned he wasn’t able to drink. Guard was the first thought to pass through her mind. “Oh don’t worry, I don’t plan on having two for long.” With those words, she downed one chute in two gulps and set the empty chute on the table.

A little trick she learned from her party girl days.

The other one she would sip on.

~~~

Gabriel sighed as he continued to eat his dinner. “I’ll give you all the personal information you need on a flashdrive. It’s everything I have on him, including places he loves to frequent the most.” Restaurants, bars, parks, the like. And information on his family, children, parents, siblings, exes, and so on.

They would get every last bit of information needed to hunt down the bastard and kill him.

“But as you can probably tell by his name, he’s essentially a ghost. He can literally disappear at will, through both speed and invisibility, which is why I trust you two to make sure he meets his end and send out a signal as to why you don’t cross me.” Gabriel sighed. “I don’t ask for much, do I? Just loyalty.”

Dimitri shook his head. “I’ve always found you rather easy to please.”

Gabriel smirked. “Of course you have.” They allowed the double entendre to hang in the air for Damia to interpret. “Now that we have the unpleasant task discussed, enjoy your food! As always, my treat.”

Xandros snorted as she downed one champagne flute like a shot. He supposed she probably wasn’t a stranger to real drinks, then. Least that meant he didn’t have to hold her drink for her. “That does settle that,” he agreed as the empty flute left her hand.

She still seemed to be hanging around him, though. Why? If she was needed, shouldn’t she be heading off to wherever it was she was needed? He assumed she had something to peddle, votes to secure, or some other reason to be there. He couldn’t ask that directly. That was tactless. Just as he couldn’t ask her name.

Or anything relevant.

He could ask why she chose her outfit, but he didn’t actually care what vapid reason she had for being a pretty butterfly as opposed to a pink peony, or whatever else she’d debated between. “So, how do you navigate these things, exactly?” Perhaps that also was one of those things not to ask, but she’d already pegged him for a novice at this.

She might be willing to give a few more tips to make it easier while she wasted her time on his presence.

~***~

It was easy to interpret the double entendre left to hang in the air. Enough people thought she’d slept her way to her own position, so it was easy to think some of that had gone on with the Princeps, or else they just knew the rumors and reveled in them. Truth or fiction, in the end, it didn’t matter much to her. So long as the Princeps was competent and not just a nice ass to fuck, she didn’t care where Gabriel got his kicks or who he shared his ivory tower with.

She was just a little disappointed that he wasn’t giving out the information, though she supposed it made sense. Never good to air things out when there were still people listening, even if the busboy who finally brought her food was unlikely to say anything.

“I suppose it’s easier when you’re the Prince,” Damia chuckled, “you are so demanding of the rest of us, Gabe,” spoken as a tease, but it was far from a lie. Gabriel did ask for a lot, but he also gave a lot, so it evened out in her book. “But we love you, so it’s fine,” she would eat, even if she wasn’t all that hungry.

Even if she wanted to take the flash drive and get on with the job.

Which, “You don’t mind starting tonight, do you, Prince? Or has being Gabe’s favorite pet made you a bit soft and opposed to long hours?” still teasing, still playful, but deadly serious. She had a wedding to attend, after all, and finding a ghost was going to be difficult work. “I want this done within two days, so that’s going to take some work.”

Obviously, she couldn’t go to the wedding until this was done.

Last edited:
Tessa got a hint of…something, from the stranger. Was it irritation? Impatience? Perhaps he didn’t wish to talk to some stranger at a party he was obviously uncomfortable at and unwilling to be there.

Of course he didn’t want to talk to her, some other stranger he probably saw as every other rich person there.

But still, he asked her another question, as if he wasn’t begging to be alone. And so she would entertain his question. “You put on a false personality,” she said. “Everyone who is here, those that I’ve identified so far, I know what they’re like in their daily lives. Here, everyone pretends to be happy to see each other, and entertain whatever vapid conversation they drag you into.”

She sipped on her champagne. “So the best way I navigate these things? Be a great actor. It’s how I practically grew up.” It’s how she, in fact, did grow up. “Just like you. You’re acting now, aren’t you? If you wish, I’ll let you be in your silence again.”

~~~

Gabriel waved off Damia’s statement that he was demanding. He knew he was demanding. One didn’t get into his position by being nice.

Sure, he wasn’t just mean to everyone. It was a very delicate game he knew how to play well. As Damia said, they loved him. He knew that. He could feel it. She didn’t lie to him. Those close to him would never dare to do such a ludicrous thing.

“Of course I don’t mind starting tonight,” Dimitri scoffed. “I was going to ask you the same thing.” At least they were on the same page, but this Damia didn’t exactly scream to be a tight-focused Praetorian ready to hunt down and execute someone.

Then again, that was a good reason to be a Praetorian. Surprise someone who least expected it.

“Don’t let your personal life distract you too much from doing what I’ve asked efficiently,” Gabriel warned with a certain tone, before smiling again. “But I am pleased to see that you two are ready to get started.” He reached into the inner pocket of his jacket and pulled out a shiny black thumbdrive, handing it to Dimitri. “Everything you need to know about Quintus is on that.”

Dimitri grabbed it and put it in his pocket. “I look forward to learning more about this traitor we get to play with.”

In a way, Xandros was acting. Not very well, but he supposed he was entertaining the vapid conversation and not really asking anything he cared about. Well, he cared a little about this, but not enough. He was still amused with her directness in answering, and in acknowledging he didn’t really want to be there, or be talking.

“I’m honestly more curious why you haven’t already left, if I’ve made it painfully clear I’d rather be alone. No one else seems to notice that.” So he acted well enough, but she’d caught him out. It didn’t cross his mind that it might be one of her tattoos – but things like that never occurred to him.

When it came to tattoos, it was all about strength. It was always physical.

Probably why Evan was able to get one-up on him.

“I assumed you had something to try and pitch me, but you haven’t started in on it yet. Most don’t have that kind of patience,” they’d be rolling into their agenda quickly after introductions. They knew how to set up anyone quickly, to start to push and lobby for whatever they wanted, and drone on and on.

It was so tiresome.

Perhaps that was why it was easier to act, though. He didn’t have to do much but smile and nod.

~***~

Damia grinned up at Gabriel as he mentioned distractions and personal life, “When have I ever been less than efficient? Challenges make me more efficient,” and so would this one, even if she failed in her personal goal to finish this in two days. She wouldn’t sacrifice the mission for Gina’s wedding.

As Gabriel said – she was likely to have more bachelorette parties. That meant more weddings.

She was a little sad the thumb drive went to the Prince, but that wasn’t a surprise. He was the favorite, and there was a curious reaction in his body when he touched the thumb drive. She smelled nickel and smoke from the contact. “I’m glad you’re on the same page, though, Prince.”

They’d eat, and they’d be prepared to hunt after reviewing the thumb drive. Hopefully, Prince would be willing to talk about his powers and not force her to guess. She could – but then he’d get nothing out of her, which was likely to hinder him far more than it was going to hinder herself.

‘Suppose he might be concerned I want to know what he does to take him out.’

“So, Prince – why telekinesis?” she decided to just pop the question so one thing would be very clear to him – that she understood one of his talents. The others weren’t active in the same way. She smelled the sparks of one, something with technology, but she hadn’t quite seen it. She’d guess he had more. Most praetorian did. “Oh actually, hold on, I want to test something – aah, there!”

The threads weren’t active. They weren’t inactive, but most telekinetics never quite turned off. Some threads of their power remained out so they could react quickly, even if they were unaware of it. She batted her hand through one of those threads, “Do you feel that? I’ve always wondered.” Her hand just went through it. It didn’t move as if it was hit, so she doubted anything was felt.

Still – she had to know if it was like an extra limb.

Tessa cocked her head at the stranger. “Maybe because I wanted to talk to the one person who actually held an interesting conversation in here tonight that wasn’t filled with empty promises or standard bullshit of saving face.” She sighed and shrugged.

She really ought to try and find Evan to see what it was he wanted from her that night.

“I had nothing to pitch you. Nothing to sell. Just honest conversation to offer.” She imagined that may change in the future, whenever she actually managed to get started on her political career, but for now, she had just wanted to have a conversation with the man who was clearly the fish out of water at the party.

At least, clear to her and what she could feel coming from him.

“But I’ll leave you now so I can go find my boss. If you want something else good to eat, try the mini sausage rolls.”

~~~

Gabriel simply shrugged with Damia’s statement. It was true, she had yet to disappoint him. No one in the Praetorians had disappointed him yet. Well, except for Quintus.

He shall serve as an example for all.

Dimitri raised a brow at Damia’s question, and glanced quickly over at Gabriel, who simply shrugged. Who knew how she guessed, or why she acts the way she does. She’s efficient in how she does things, and that was the only thing that mattered to Gabriel.

But, he had to admit, she was amusing at times.

Dimitri was about to answer Damia, before she was…weird again. He scrunched his brows and watched as she lifted one hand and seemingly waved it in the air. At first, he thought she was batting a fly or something, but he could feel it.

He felt the slight quivering of one of the threads that never went inactive with his powers, but it was so faint, he wouldn't have thought anything of it unless this woman hadn’t said something and been so…weird.

“I can feel that,” he said. He was too sober for this. Far too sober, and he’d been drinking long before meeting up with Gabriel. “What exactly is it you do? See shit others can’t see?”

‘Yeah, no, I’m still not an honest person.’ Xandros didn’t say that to Tessa, of course. It was clear that by questioning it, he’d put her off to further conversation. Whoops? Well, she already knew he was wanting peace, so not too much whoops. She was preparing to head off anyways. “Thanks for the tip – hope your boss isn’t too hard to find.”

His had disappeared. ‘Damnit Evan, where—’ he was going to abandon the sausage rolls when a hand clapped him on the shoulder, “There you are!” Evan chimed cheerfully, “And you! I’m glad you two have already made yourselves acquainted with one another.”

“You know the butterfly?”

“I know most people here,” he reminded, “but yes, that’s Tessa. Tessa, this is Alexandros,” he offered the introductions for them, “she’s just started working with me, I was planning to introduce the two of you tonight.”

‘Right….’ He had mentioned Tessa. Xandros remembered.

“Come, come, there’s a lovely piece of art in the garden you two should see.” Evan encouraged, pushing at Xandros’s back to get him to move, and stepping back to walk alongside Tessa, “I do hope he wasn’t too offensive. You look very lovely tonight, I knew as soon as I saw you. You pulled off the design quite well.” He knew what she’d be dressed as, though he hadn’t seen the dress.

It was enough to find her.

~***~

Damia did enjoy how Gabriel offered nothing to clear it up. Just as Gabriel, of course, offered nothing about the Prince – although their exchange did make it quite clear she was right. Not that she thought she was wrong. And she was quite amused as it seemed to break the Princeps just a bit as he demanded to know what she did in such a crass why.

Unsettled.

It didn’t taste good on him.

She finished off the last of her sliders before answering him, though. “I can see more, hear more, taste more, smell more, and touch more than others, actually. And quite a bit more,” she rested her elbow on the table and sunk her cheek against the palm of her hand, “Tattoos give cues. I can see the telekinetic threads. I smelled the soldering iron and nickel when you touched that drive. There’s more to you than that, but it’s inactive. I’ll know it, when you activate it.”

The smile remained, but lost some of its glee, “It’s okay. I know you don’t understand what it’s like to taste a voice, so I won’t ask you to get it, just understand that when it comes to finding someone invisible to the eye, you’re going to want to trust me. I don’t need to see them to see them, Prince.”

No, her boss wasn’t hard to find at all.

Tessa was slightly surprised by how abruptly Evan came up to both of them - apparently they were both employed by the Senator, which surprised Tessa. ‘What are the odds.’

And she hardly thought that Evan truly wanted the both of them to look at a piece of art in the gardens. More like, get them some privacy to discuss whatever was supposed to happen that night.

“He was perfectly fine, and thank you. You look lovely as well, dressed as…I apologize, what exactly are you dressed up as?” Being in all white, Tessa had trouble identifying what Evan was supposed to be. He didn’t look like anything in particular, though maybe that was the idea.

To be nothing meant to not be offensive towards anyone, a goal of any good politician.

~~~

Dimitri cocked his head at Damia, listening to her as she explained what it was she could do. It didn’t exactly clear things up, yet it made sense to him. So she could read people in a way, and it was clear to him how useful she would be in hunting down the Praetorian that could turn invisible.

She would be very useful.

“I’ll trust you enough,” he said. Would he trust her with his life? Absolutely not. That would be idiotic. Would he trust her enough to get this job done? Yes.

But would he trust her enough for her to not take full credit when it had been split in half? Well, maybe Gabriel was smart enough to see through anyone trying to push the other one to the side.

“And you’re going to want to trust me in being able to locate this man. You’ll get to see one of my abilities in action later, when we get started on this mission.” The soldering iron and nickel…he understood why she smelled that, if that’s how she could read people.

Key components in the creation of a computer, which he could pull apart and put back together in no time.

“What do you think it is, Tessa?” Evan asked, something he’d been asking all night. No one liked to be wrong, so they’d hesitated to say anything. Whenever they blindly grasped at something, he always agreed. They were right! How wonderful!

But of course, he wasn’t anything.

A ghost, an angel, a dove – it didn’t really matter, in the end.

Alexandros didn’t reveal that, though. He kept his mouth shut as they walked into the garden, and Evan directed a bit, to take them to where a plant had indeed been turned into a leafy ornament, that of a horse and rider, with the rider carrying a sickle.

Death.

‘Strange choice.’ Though, Alexandros supposed, when the plant began to wilt and decay, it’d be quite fitting.

“This,” Evan gestured up, “a bit macabre, but I do like it. I’ve been asking around to try and find out who did it,” not that he wanted to talk about it, but he did have to start in on it before he could go anywhere else.

~***~

Damia wasn’t surprised that there remained some hesitation in the Prince. That was smart. He didn’t earn his reputation by trusting others. He’d had to execute other Praetorian before, though usually when they came after him, for his title.

Few wanted the title of Decima. She didn’t have those concerns.

She also wasn’t vying for position, but he didn’t know that, and wouldn’t trust it if she said it aloud, so she didn’t waste her breath to convince him to trust her. Actions would speak far louder. “I’m very interested in seeing it,” that was enough to confirm. “It’s one I haven’t seen before,” or she might have picked up already on what the smell meant.

Soon enough, she’d know, though.

Her meal was done, though. Her motorcycle had her supplies in its bags, so she asked, “Do you have everything you need, Prince, or should I go wait for you somewhere? Not to run out on you Gabe,” she chuckled, “but I hate letting a job sit,” she wanted them done as soon as she got them, so she could go back to enjoying life. If this had been a meal to enjoy with him, she wouldn’t be rushing out.

Those meals had gotten, well…few and far between though.

She only ever saw Gabriel for jobs anymore.

Tessa studied Evan for a second while they walked to the garden. He could be so much, as he didn’t have any distinct marker on him. A white knight, a ghost, a dove, so many more. Which is why she thought he was everything and yet none of those at the same time.

Perfect for a politician who didn’t want to be offensive to anyone.

“I think you’re a tabula rasa. You’re nothing, so you’re everything, depending on the viewer,” she answered.

They approached the plant, which Tessa silently observed with slight amusement. Why did Evan bring them there? Then again, why did he do anything the way he did? It was just all Evan. She hadn’t known him for very long, but she was already easily guessing his mannerisms and his patterns.

It helped that she could read his emotions.

“If this is what you truly wanted to talk about, I could find out the sculptor for you,” she easily said. She was sure she knew the owners of the place, or else, she was his aide. That was part of her job. “But really, why did you bring us here besides to admire the garden?”

~~~

Dimitri couldn’t help but feel a slight sliver of pride as Damia said she hadn’t seen his ability before. Good. Maybe that means he could surprise her with what he could do. Not that he actually cared.

Nope, not at all. He just liked showing off.

Gabriel gave Dame a simple wave with one hand. “You know I much prefer you swinging into action on my assignments. I love to see a motivated employee.” His plate now laid empty, but he still nursed the aged whiskey sitting in his glass. He never liked to merely gulp down his drinks, unlike Dimitri, but rather savor them. Especially the expensive whiskeys and bourbons he was fond of.

“Meanwhile I prefer the sudden burn down your throat when you drink it all in one go,” said Dimitri. “I have everything I need here,” he then answered Damia. “I always have the tools I need right with me.”

Evan chuckled at the commentary on his attire, “You may be the most intelligent guess yet,” empty flattery or not, it was hard to tell. He sounded sincere in both situations, and he smiled charmingly, easily, as he offered no argument to what was proposed. It was by far the most intelligent guess, and he could make it true.

Just as he made all the others true.

“I do like that about you, but you still need to consider that maybe I did bring you out here to see a garden ornament. I can’t be plotting all the time.”

Alexandros huffed his frustration. He knew, as well as Tessa, that it wasn’t the case.

Still, Evan played, because even out in the garden there were ears, “I actually do need you to find out more about the designer. I believe it was purchased by Senator Orzen,” he took a simple flashdrive out of his pocket then, “I’m trying to sweeten the deal with this, if you wouldn’t mind delivering it to his office tonight?”

He held it out to Tessa, though Xandros knew he’d be the one using it. Tessa was the aide, though. She should hold it in public. “Xandros can escort you to make sure nothing goes awry.”

~***~

Damia wasn’t surprised by the easy dismissal, she was expecting it. It was a bit sad, but this was business. Gabriel didn’t have time like he used to, before he became Dictator. He was more fun when he was actually acting and not delegating. Now he had to delegate all the time.

She could at least be fast with the tasks he gave her, to make it easier. To try and give him time by removing things from his desk that much quicker.

It was unlikely to pay off anytime soon. Not until the whole world was his – but one day, she’d be bringing that to him, too, on a silver platter. Or gold. Or whatever he preferred.

The Prince was at least ready, and so Damia did rise as he made a jest at Gabriel’s drinking habits. “There’s room for both,” her own drink wasn’t a gulping one, but she’d already finished half of it, so she did down the rest of the pink drink and set it on the table.

“If you’re ready, Prince – act.” Whether within, or without, Damia was, well, impatient. Curious.

Last edited:
Tessa felt a sense of pride at the compliment Evan offered her, but after the fact, she couldn’t tell if it was genuine, or if he was acting his role as a politician. She would pretend it was the former, for her own sake.

He didn’t offer any alternative, but again, he may be doing that to flatter anyone who comments on his costume.

Evan was a complicated figure.

Found out more about a designer of a garden sculpture owned by Senator Orzen with a…flashdrive. Tessa immediately understood the assignment, and took the flashdrive. She didn’t have anywhere to stick it, except down the front of her dress, and she certainly wasn’t doing that in front of two guys, one she was beginning to know, and the other she hardly knew anything about.

So she held it in her hand. “Of course not. A simple delivery sounds easy enough.” With a bodyguard accompanying her. Oh, what could Senator Orzen be hiding? “Is there anything else we should know?”

~~~

Dimitri seemingly ignored Damia as he bid Gabriel goodbye, who likewise bid the two of them goodbye and good luck. The next time they saw Gabriel, they would be one Praetorian short.

Though knowing Gabriel, he already had someone in mind as a replacement and is just waiting for word that the current Quintus is no longer.

Dimitri motioned for Damia to follow him with a simple gesture of his fingers. They went out to his car, where he pulled out a sleek laptop from a hidden compartment in the trunk before getting into the driver’s side and motioning for her to get into the passenger’s.

“Now, we should theoretically have everything we need to see where Quintus is located.” The flashdrive was plugged into the laptop, and without even lifting a finger, the screen loaded with pages of information about their target, including that he had a wife and two kids, both under the age of five.

That poor bastard.

Ideally, Dimitri wouldn’t get the family involved, unless Quintus proved to be difficult to draw out of hiding.

Evan smiled as he shook his head, that enigmatic smile. "Just come back with the information." Which meant no leaving the drive, but that part wasn't Tessa's to worry about. That part, Alexandros could worry about, and he knew the guard understood without needing to explain further. "But you don't need to go immediately, explore the gardens, enjoy."

Don't leave together.

Don't be seen together.

Alexandros scoffed, "I'm going back to the food. Keep yourself out of trouble, Evan. If I have to be sober you have to make my job easier."

"I don't," Evan noted but wouldn't summon Alexandros back. He was separating. He'd get out on his own. He sighed and chuckled. "I can give you his number so you can get in touch when you're ready, Tessa." And he'd do so once she was prepared to take it, and meander a bit longer to clear up any confusions.

He was just throwing her into this.

~***~

Damia bid Gabriel farewell as she followed Prince out to his car, but not before putting her helmet back on. Her face would never be seen, just the eyes as she let the visor roll up. It was all people ever saw and how she got her name, although the rainbows were still hidden behind green.

She couldn't help but to give the slick car a once over before sliding into the passenger seat and observing the Prince do his magic. It became quite clear what that magic was as the scent filled the air again, and sparks danced off his fingertips at contact with the laptop. She chuckled to herself, "I see," because she did.

But now she heard the language passing between them, unspoken by lips or speakers, and incomprehensible to her so far as specifics, but she didn't need to know that. She just needed to know what was going on, "You talk to them. Most people just prefer to get good at technology," she couldn't help the lapse into the familiar gaming phrase, "so they don't use their tattoo for it, but you still did. It makes sense in our work."

Perhaps it made sense before.

She did go silent to read the information that popped up, of course. The family caught her eye. Names and addresses were quickly memorized.

Unlike the Prince, that's where she zeroed in. "We should go find the family. One of them will be able to call. If he cares about them at all, he'll show up." Damia would make certain if that. She had no qualms executing one while on the phone to make her point clear, once she had Quintus on the line.

He knew what he'd done. It's why he was running. Maybe he knew how to hide them, but, "Are you able to run searches for their names or their cards being used anywhere?" They likely weren't at home.

Last edited:
Evan was a damn enigma.

Tessa took Alexandros’ number and meandered a bit longer, first out in the gardens were some lingered about, chatting and admiring the art displayed, where she chatted with a few who were close to her parents. After a few minutes, she headed back inside, texting Alexandros that she was ready for whatever came next.

Whatever the fuck that was. Tessa still wasn’t sure what was going on, and Evan only spoke in riddles so that he could never exactly admit to anything. A flashdrive in exchange for information on a designer.

There was something more to this, but she would have to wait to find out.

So Tessa waited near the entrance of the main hall where people mingled, waiting for Xander to meet up with her.

~~~

Dimitri didn’t bother with a helmet just yet, not with the tinted windows of his car. Later, when they pinned down Quintus’ location and headed there, he would do so. Apparently, Damia didn’t quite feel the same way, but he made no comment. Just went on straight to business.

She made a slight comment, but he paid her no mind as he allowed his powers to take over, engulfing him in every byte and data the computer stored within. Then she said more, and he gave her a glance. “Yes, I do.”

In a way, he has always talked to computers, but the tattoo allowed more.

He shrugged as he continued to skim through the tabs, taking in the necessary information. “Most people are satisfied with only knowing a finite amount about technology. But technology constantly changes, and it holds so much. I wouldn’t be satisfied until I could talk to computers and the constantly evolving world of technology.” That way, in a sense, his learning would never cease, yet he would always know.

Back on Quintus and his unfortunate family, “Of course I can,” he chuckled. Running names was elementary to him, and he did so, pulling up the home address of his wife. If she wasn’t home, then he would run any cards they may have and see where she had last been.

Once he had the address, Dimitri sped off to the location. “I’m still not quite sure what your abilities are,” he admitted, breaking any silence. “But you do seem to be able to read people well.”

Alexandros hadn’t really considered leaving his number with her, so when he got a text and it wasn’t from Evan, but her, he was surprised. He still responded, of course, noting a fountain in a park adjacent to their location, before starting to make his own way there.

He understood why he was being sent. Even though he was at the party, no one knew who he was. No one knew who he was with. Tessa, however…certainly people figured out who she was even in the mask. ‘So is she some kind of cover?’ Because no one would dare assume she did anything wrong?

No, Evan wasn’t that stupid, everyone in politics was going to go for the throat.

He waited in the park, and when she showed up, he nodded, “I don’t suppose that dress can turn into anything else, can it? Reversable or something?” Because she would end up recognized on cameras. Not that he couldn’t just get rid of that information, and if he had to, he would – but he might as well try to make this easier on himself.

Finding the security cameras and getting to them was always a pain.

~***~

The Prince pulled up the information on the last known address, and Damia skimmed it, a touch annoyed he didn’t just pull up card uses as well. It could have saved them a trip. ‘She won’t be here.’ Unless Quintus didn’t like his family and was looking to have them killed, of course. Which really sucked for them, because Damia would grant him that.

He could at least save his kids if he played nice, though.

When The Prince started the car, Damia was jolted back to the moment, “Hey—” but he was already pulling away, forcing her to leave her poor motorcycle behind. She hadn’t intended to ride with him, and she did shoot him a dirty glare before just slapping the visor of her helmet down, folding her arms, and glaring out the window as the scenery went by.

His question went completely ignored.

She’d explained what she could do as best she could to other people. She ‘read’ them. And now she was going to make herself very easy to read so once this part of the mission was done, he’d take her back to her bike.

Or she’d walk back.

Either way.

Upon receiving the text, Tessa immediately began heading over to the fountain in the park, away from the ritz and glamor of the party before anyone else could stop her for a brief conversation.

She soon spotted Xander, who almost immediately asked about the dress. She looked at him with a brow raised. “Does it look like this dress can be anything but recognizable?” She didn’t exactly get the memo that she needed to get changed into something else during the party.

Damn Evan.

And then her hair was always pretty distinguishable to some people, thanks to its unruly curls.

“Will this be a problem?”

~~~

Dimitri glanced over at Damia with a look at her sudden noise of protest. “Problem?” he said, guessing the answer. He left with them in the car abruptly. She probably had her own ride that she wanted, for her own sanity. Oh well. “Gabe did want us to get on this as quick as possible.”

So why not make their way to their first stop right then without any hesitation?

Apparently driving off like that made her unhappy. Was she…pouting? Certainly ignoring his question.

Dimitri heaved a heavy sigh. “Do you at least want to look over the files yourself to see if you can find anything that may stand out?” Just because Dimitri could see the data, doesn’t mean he could analyze everything perfectly.

He just wanted to go home and drink.

No, no it didn’t, but Xandros knew he didn’t fully understand all the things dresses and fancy clothes could be. So, he sighed as Tessa asked if it was a problem, “Yeah, but no,” he shook his head, and stepped away from the fountain, moving a hand to her back as he started to walk in the direction they needed to go.

Fake closeness as they took a walk.

“I can manage that problem, but Evan’s gonna have to talk to you about this another time since he forgot this time,” or didn’t care, more likely, trusting Evan would make up for any problems. “I’m guessing you have a good idea where Senator Orzen’s office is? That’s where we’re going. I’ll need that drive Evan gave you to do my job.”

He knew he was mostly showing Tessa the ropes. She would also be useful in getting them out of anything that involved talking, although ideally, there would be no talking. Just in and out, with the information needed.

“Because I don’t know where his office is.” He wasn’t briefed on who the target was prior to this.

~***~

Yes, there was a problem. He answered it himself as he stated things about ‘fast’, and she made a scoffing noise. ‘Yes, because being sans weapons is going to make this fast.’ Did she say that? No, of course not, he could suffer silence a little longer as she kept her head turned towards the window and ignored him.

He tried to offer something to keep the peace – the information. Which, perhaps in a better mood, she would have looked at, but she didn’t want to. She knew he wanted this mission done quickly. So, of course, she was silent since she didn’t want it, but the silence was bothersome.

She sat up and dug her phone out of a pocket, “All my weapons were in my motorcycle, and it’s a lot faster than your car. Easier to maneuver in tight spots.” She found the Linxsys on her phone and then leaned forward to play with his car radio to connect them. If she was going to have to be in his car, she was going to at least get her music, damn it! “I hope you have a gun to spare.”

Probably not.

It wasn’t like he needed weapons with his power. Those with powers like that rarely remembered the importance that was A Bullet To The Skull.

At least the speakers blared to life.

Shut your mouth and close the door
I wanna watch you while you take it off
I'm gonna take a blindfold put it on
And then I drop the leather to the floor--

Tessa looked at Xander as he answered. It didn’t sound like it wouldn’t be a problem, but she didn’t say anything else on that. He knew what they were getting themselves into, she hoped. He certainly knew more than she did.

She did accept the closeness as part of their little mission. Closeness led to less questions as to why they’re away from the party, and if people did spot them, anything resembling tenderness and affection could cause some to look away out of embarrassment.

“Yeah, I figured I would be having a nice little chat with Evan soon. I feel like he neglected to tell me something major.” Why did she like him? Damn politician. “Senator Orzen? Yeah, I know where his office is.” Tessa handed Xander the flash drive and began leading the way.

Only a few feet later, she asked, “Are you going to tell me a little more about what’s going on?”

~~~

Dimitri was about to give up on the stubborn woman as she continued to refuse to talk to him. How she was a Praetorian when she acted like she was five was a mystery to him. Then again, Gabriel was also a mystery at times in the decisions he made.

When she did speak up again, Dimitri snorted. “Believe me, my car is fast enough. And if you were worried about no weapons, then I’ll alleviate those worries. There are plenty of weapons in this car.”

He wouldn’t quite mention it just yet that there was a gun in the glove compartment right in front of her.

Especially once she started playing her music in his car. He would allow it, just this once.

Someone save him.

“There’s a variety of weapons to choose from.” he continued. “Most of them are in my trunk or hidden in the backseat, so right before we get to the destination, you can look through them.”

Xandros took the flash drive and pocketed it in his upper pocket, continuing to walk as if they were just taking a nice, romantic stroll. It was easier to pass off as such with faces and expressions being covered by the masks.

He did snort at her questions. "Evan owes you plenty of explanations, but don't expect much. I think he makes up a lot as he goes. Opportunist." There were good and bad things about that. One being the unpredictability.

"Are you sure you don't want to keep plausible deniability?" Xandros asked, though was already mentally preparing for what he might have to say. "Just in case. I know you political types love that." She could plead ignorance.

It might even work.

Debatable but at least she had a shot of she really knew nothing.

~***~

Dania was somewhat relieved that there were weapons. From the sounds of it, there were plenty. "A man after my own heart," she joked, shifting into a slightly more chipper tone as her posture relaxed and she straightened up, rather than sulked.

"I have a preference for simple revolvers, throwing knives, and small knives. They work with my agility best." She could use sniper rifles effectively, given her strange sight, but it wasn't her preference and she rarely packed one.

She looked back over at him, still not caring or believing that his car was fast enough. It didn't feel that way. But that meant he liked speed. And guns. "We need to race one day." She smiled beneath her helmet, "Are you a gambling man?" They could make it interesting.

Assuming he was a risk taker.

No, Tessa didn’t expect much from Evan. He may be relatively new to the world of politics, unlike those with dynasties and family lineages deep in the world, but he knew the game quite well. It was why she liked him. Evan was intelligent, and she could learn a lot from him.

Sometimes his evasive maneuvers were even amusing. She just wished she wasn’t the one experiencing it.

Tessa shrugged. “Oddly enough, I can think of an excuse better when I know what’s going on, since I don’t think anyone would believe my complete ignorance since I work with him every day.”

Could she actually plead ignorance and be believable? But coming up with an excuse, that was easy. She was good at excuses. She did it all the time growing up.

Tessa led them down the hallway, and paused in front of one of the doors. The hallway was empty for now, and she couldn’t hear anyone. “This is Senator Orzen’s office.”

~~~

Dimitri cocked one eyebrow, giving Damia a sideways glance at her innocent comment. Her mood did a complete shift, allowing him to wonder how stable she was.

But were any of them truly stable? It was near impossible in their line of work.

“I definitely have something in the car that you would enjoy then,” he casually said. Knives were standard, and simple revolvers were a staple. He was certain she would find something in there that she would temporarily like to use for the mission.

There was a moment of silence before Damia broke that. He let out a small huff of laughter. Admittedly, he would love to race. It was such an adrenaline rush. “I am indeed a gambling man,” he admitted. “Gabe and I frequent the casinos, though we both have our own games of choice.”

Gabe was a big fan of poker, having the best stoic face. Dimitri indulged in a bit of everything, but the craps table saw him the most.

“Why? Fancy a bet?”

Xandros wondered if Tessa’s truth would prove true. Ideally, none of them would find out, so as she said it, he shrugged, “Suit yourself,” not that he knew much, “Evan’s gathering information on senators. I don’t know why he’s picked Orzen or what he expects to get. All I know is I’m supposed to download the entirety of Orzen’s files to the drive and get out of there.”

He could have added more to spy on Orzen’s continued activity, but Evan didn’t want that. That could lead to them getting caught, after all. Not that there was a single part of this without risk, but this lessened it.

“He gives me details if there’s something to know.”

Theoretically.

Xandros didn’t trust that, either.

They went into the building, and walked to Orzen’s office. It was locked, of course, but Xandros just took out a different UBS and plugged it right into the box near Orzen’s door. Everyone thought computer locks and such were safer than regular ones. Maybe they were, but not to Xandros.

He downloaded the program on the UBS into the locking mechanism and went through a few prompts on the screen.

The door clicked open and he took it out and walked right into the office, where of course, the laptop was in plain sight on the desk.

He strode right over to it, opened it up, plugged in the UBS and took a seat in the overly plush office chair.

~***~

Good, she had pegged him right! Then again, a man as high up as he was? Of course he enjoyed gambling. Even Gabriel enjoyed gambling, as the Prince noted. They went together, not a surprise. Damia had gone with Gabriel more than once. Her luck always took her to roulette more than any other game.

Poker was too easy.

Probably why Gabriel didn’t play with her anymore. Now she did most of her gambling with video games. She'd developed quite a following as Decima.

“Yes,” she said, “if we’re going to race, there ought to be stakes,” she leaned back in the seat, stretching out, “once I get back to my motorcycle, of course,” she wasn’t thinking of a foot race, “Not money, or anything boring like that. Nothing material. I can get material things.” So could he.

That was too easy.

“You come along as my plus one for Gina’s wedding if I win.” She stated, “I think their reactions would be amusing, and I want to see you in another element. I’ll use any name you want for privacy, of course,” she added, waving that bit off as a non-issue. “What do you want if you win?”

Not that he would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back