• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom 鬱憤𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 ― in character

鬱憤𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧
Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

a vaguely-historical danganronpa rp.

poi

permanent iishanten
Roleplay Type(s)
< to be updated when appropriate >

Last edited:
― prologue

chapter#00

prologue

CLANK!!

And just like that, the locks holding the cell doors closed were no more. Though the sound of metal shattering happened in an instant, the sheer volume was enough for it to linger within the minds of those who heard it. A silence that could only be described as an aftershock permeated through the earthen hall of the kingdom’s chambers, and lengthy as it was, what soon cut through it felt oddly sudden.

The creaking of a rusty entrance, and with it, the steps of a man whose expression was void of uncertainty. This was now the reverberation the prisoners faced.

With a loud clap, and a raise of his fist, the red-haired male halted his tracks in the middle of the hall, an unclear attempt in gathering everyone’s attention. The ahoge on his head dangled about as he did so—and as it’d turn out, he was not the type to waste time in addressing the other unfortunates that happened to be lumped in this less than stellar situation.

The rustling of his thick fur coat, a prelude to his words; with a boisterous voice that accompanied his slight optimism, his lips parted. “Everyone! Look, the locks are gone now! But something’s amiss…”

The man paused, as if to let that very fact sink in, or to make himself seem smart for possibly having caught something.

“Yes… Caution is our friend right now, so let’s think about what we should do moving forward before we get hasty! What if the palace people are doing a test of sorts… To see if we’ll take the bait? We might get punished even more!”

He then waved his hands around in haphazard fashion like he was playing with invisible air drums. “So, let’s proceed with caution, shall we all?” He finished, with a manner of thinly veiled irresolution that wasn’t present before. A bit too trusting with the perception of his own charisma, this case will put it to the test; to see if everyone else will agree with his sentiment and not just dart out from the area with impatience.

Trying to continue the flow of the (one-sided) conversation, he cleared his throat and put his hands on his hips, giving all of his cell buddies a bright smile with a tinge of imperiousness. “Well, to kick things off I suppose, my name is Usuratonkachi Ren!—but you calling me Ren-sama is preferred, for I am a master apothecary, an ultimate apothecary, even!”

Not even a second later, a dark-haired individual slid out of his own cell, a look of disengagement written on his features. His narrowed eyes spared not a single person a glance, despite the situation; not even the exuberant man who sought to take lead in this uncertain predicament. It would seem that he was wasting no time in exiting the underground chambers.

Letting out a huff, Ren called out a question―his tone accusatory, yet hesitant. Did that bleak man not hear a single word he just said? “You! With the sour look on your face…! Where are you going?”

Teal irises slowly bore into golden ones with an intense disinterest, no words to be said. If it wasn’t already apparent from the way he was about to just up and leave, this moment alone would have been enough for anyone to realize that he cared very little for what Ren had to say. Several moments of an off-kilter stillness passed before finally, he responded.

Out.

With that, he continued in his pursuit of outside air. Although not enough to dispel the feeling of unease that hung over the area, there was a sense of awkwardness that understandably followed. Despite this, the entire debacle did bring attention to the current question: Was it safer to stay and discuss? Or was there more merit in venturing into uncertainty?

???

• "W-what was that?!"

Her eyes widened at the loud noise that filled the air; a pair of lavender orbs belonging to a diviner who was far from her comfort zone. Unkempt silver locks brushed against her robe when she gasped, a hand covering her features.

...Yet the shock was short-lived, the look on her face returning back to an ever-present expression of contempt.

With fingers gently grazing her own cell door, the girl had the same idea of leaving in mind. Though, the difference was that she was taking her time pondering her next move. Her voice was anything but what many would expect from someone of her position; the haughty tone a stark contrast from her gentle appearance. There was a distinct edge to her words as she responded—reserved for the one who was blabbering about in the unsightly dominion they had all been trapped in for quite a time now.

"Usuratonkachi...was it? Quite the interesting name! The same could be said about your head perhaps? Though what is with that ridiculous fur coat? You appear more like a buffoon, not an apothecary." The fortune teller spoke with an unmindful tone, as if she didn't really care for his response. The diviner cared very little if the man took offense to her quips. What could he do to her anyway, have her locked up a second time? The thought amused her, who were they in the sight of someone as renowned as her! Yet the boy's words mingled in her mind, letting them sink in.

Holding up her pointer finger for all to see, her lilac gaze pierced through everyone in the area, "This simpleton has a point. If we run out without any semblance of a plan, the stars say that we will meet terrible fates..."

The young lady stared at the lock-less cell doors one more time, her fingers twitched; a motion that didn't go unnoticed. It was as if the mere sight of a clear escape was an annoyance, but nevertheless she stayed put. Leaving now without any sort of back-up came with its set of risks, the uncertainty of what was waiting beyond was enough for her to disavow the notion. So at that, she turned to face the others once more, her expression remaining unchanged, evident with the next words that were still thick with indifference—although cautioning them the same thing she had just come to realize.

You all may just get yourselves killed once you set foot outside our supposed chambers. Though, perhaps it wouldn't matter much for the likes of you. Ponder what the best course of action is, and then act accordingly. As for me, I shall stay put until the stars shine brightly enough for me to leave."

It was just her luck, getting captured like that. It was so unfair. She was innocent. It was true! The only reason why she was thrown in this mangy place was because she was one of the few that had a direct audience with the King. The others in here had no idea who she was, though, and that's why they were staring at her like that, though it was in equal measure all around for these group of strangers it seemed. Yet they should!

She remembered fondly when she got the note from the King, delivered by a royal courier all the way from Usaginomiya Palace. The seal authenticating its source. The monarch himself had requested a private consultation, and she couldn't have been more enthused. The thought that someone so important having heard of her and her talent made her feel like the world was opening up. She'd play the part of the sage fortune teller, and be rightfully compensated with the fame and money many would be envious of....

That was what the silver-haired girl had been thinking the whole time up until this very incarceration, a wrongful one at that. Everything had been a lie. The maws of judgment had greeted the fortune teller instead. Did the heavens lie to her? No, it couldn't be!

It read too much like ‘The Milkmaid & Her Pail’—where she the milkmaid, and the pail the His Royal Highness. It was cruel, how could he have gone and be assassinated, with her around at the day of? If she could get out of here, and back to her room at home where everything made perfect logical sense again. The King died of other reasons, there was no doubt in her eyes; his Highness' blood did not stain her hands, the stars be her witness.

Seeing the uncertainty planted on the expressions of the others, the fortune teller's eyes drifted towards the person who had just walked out, and shook her head. Taking advantage of the rapid developments at hand, she spoke, "Stubborn, isn't he? Such an individual like that would not fare well in a situation such as this. I propose we come up with a plan, yes?"

Not waiting for anyone to object, the silver-adorned girl pressed forth in the conversation, "Now, now, save your applause for me having saved your tails! I owe such quick thinking to the celestial bodies who have shown me the right path. I am sure they will shine upon us if we work together." The first part was meant to be a jab; directed at those who would up and leave from this point forward. If they met their end upon reaching the outside world, then she thought...so be it.

What fools. Only hastening their fate.

code by San San

Marica Blackmore, first mate of the HMS Prosperous, ambassador of the West Pacific Trading Company and bodyguard of the Marchioness Harkon, sat cross-legged at the rear of her cell. Thin strands of cold moonlight filtered through a barred window that even if unbarred, could not be squeezed through except by the most physically gifted of rats. And even if she could, she wouldn't. She had voiced no protest, offered no resistance as the palace guard had declared the charges against her, marched her at spear-point to this prison, and locked her inside with hardly any promise of a fair trial.

Her innocence (if not her release) would be up to the esteemed Marchioness and her cadre of more...diplomatic personnel to sort out. That is...if news of the king's death hadn't already gotten out to the public and made them jump to the worst possible conclusion. Which in turn would lead them to potentially...irrational courses of action. No. That couldn't happen...

The Marchioness and the rest of the fleet were no pushovers, and could respond to any untoward violence in kind. But that would fare very, very poorly for their prospects in this land...

Marica folded her arms, thinking back to the events of a few hours ago...

The banquet hall that the king of Usaginomiya was going to use to receive both the WPTC's delegation and sundry distinguished guests was quite different from the grand halls and ballrooms back home.

Low, wooden floors. No pillars. Paper sliding doors.

She had heard tales of assassins who would hide in panels beneath the floors, or in spaces hidden by the sliding doors, to strike unseen at a moment's notice.

Carew, the historian joining the WPTC on this mission, had reassured Marica that such tales were merely literary flights of fancy, a notion supported by the local representatives.

But it couldn't hurt to be sure. And it would hurt very, very much to be wrong.

Marica was hence on her twelfth round of tapping and pressing her foot on every plank in the hall and sliding open and closed every segment of the doors when she heard the tap of geta behind her.

"Ambassador Blackmore. You are under arrest. We ask that you do not offer any resistance. Let not more blood be spilled today."

The captain of this detachment of the guard was a solidly-built, middle-aged man. His face was like stone as he delivered his ultimatum, while the ones surrounding him were directing every last bit of effort into restraining their emotions.

She glanced at him, then a little to the side. They all had both hands on their spears, and were moving to surround her though the arrangement of the room left gaps to her advantage and prevented their weapons from having a full range of movement if they happened to decide to...act.

The captain had a tanto on his left hip. That appeared to be the standard.

It would take less than two seconds for her to duck down and take the knife from the guard behind her. Another two to hamstring the one to her side, vault over them, and...start running. Where? All the way through town, back to the Prosperous?

No. The last thing they needed was more proof to support their accusations.

She raised her hands slowly, putting them both behind her head.

"I surrender. I must remind you that any false charges and conviction are subject to recompense towards the West Pacific Trading- ugh!" The haft of a spear struck her back roughly.

"You have the temerity to talk terms with us, assassin?"

"Saito! Stand down." The captain rumbled, taking a step back to allow Marica to straighten up. "I appreciate your cooperation, Ambassador. I hope, for our sake as well as yours, that you are innocent..."

Her hopeless recollection was interrupted by the CLANG of the locks on each cell breaking, almost as if in unison. This was promptly followed by a little knockabout act by two-no, three of the other detainees.

For her part, she stood, glancing at the robed girl. "You must have excellent eyesight if you can read the stars from within this pit, diviner." It was a dry remark, made for perhaps no reason beyond asserting herself in this situation. Everyone here was under the same suspicion, and given the identity of the victim, likely would meet the same fate if enough guilt was cast upon one or all of them.

"Master Apothecary." She nodded at the redhead, then turned to look at all the remaining prisoners. "If there are any among you set on leaving, I propose that I lead the group." If anything, this would help direct the opinions of the group...for her or against her. "Your countrymen have...much less love for me, and should we be...caught, believing that I led this...excursion will lead to leniency for the rest of you."

Who knew what would be directly outside their prison? She had fought before: she knew how to move unseen. But that was far easier in forests and moors than in a palace, or a bustling city in the grip of panic. And leading a group would make that job harder by each person that followed.

San San poi poi

scroll

02. tanyao

断幺九 !

mood

???

started at

underground ― prison

ended at

usaginomiya keep ― entrance

interactions

marica, everyone else (indirectly)

tags

everyone!

At first, it really seemed as though everything would end shortly.

The King was declared dead; manner of death, homicide. The palace town was put into lockdown, and no one was able to leave. Investigation ensued, and sixteen individuals were determined to be the primary suspects; they were promptly detained as a result. All of this occurred within a mere few hours.

As Tanyao watched the guard lock his cell door, he had the thought that he wouldn’t be in there for very long. Perhaps a day would go by at most, but this was about the matter of the King’s assassination; no doubt, a crime deserving of all attention in order to solve it as soon as possible. A threat to the nation was breathing within these walls, after all, so standing around and twiddling thumbs could not be an option―… err, not in an ideal world, anyway. Of course, he’d… consider the possibility of inadequacy in current authority.

Either way, it seemed like he was going to be let out soon, for one reason or another. Whether it was because of his apparent innocence or his merciless execution, well, the future was one of those things those eyes of his couldn’t peer into. For all he knew, they could just decide they were getting impatient and off all sixteen suspects, instead of a single one.

An arid sigh failed to escape his lips, though maybe there wasn’t one to begin with.

Yet, despite all of the initial haste, those mere few hours would bleed into the next day, and... See, there was barely a way to view the sky from this dark cell he sat in. If he had to guess, however, the new day turned into two, and strangely, the guards he’d witness patrolling the dungeon were down to none. An uncomfortable feeling of emptiness ate away at his stomach as he realized he hadn’t eaten since before the King’s demise, and an emotion he failed to recognize permeated in the haze of his mind as he remembered his tessen had previously been confiscated.

― ✦

Tanyao’s dozing off was abruptly disrupted by the sharp sound of metal violently shattering, and for a moment, all he found himself doing was staring in whatever direction his head was facing at the time. Was it out of shock? Maybe, but was shock something that really existed? It was hard for him to be so sure.

He blinked.

With an air of indifference, the male slowly moved to stand at the front of the cell he was in, and a small push was all it took for the door to swing open with a metallic creak. Shards of what used to be the lock laid scattered across the floor, and from what he could tell, it wasn’t just his cell that underwent this fate. A small smile that held no meaning graced his features as he pondered the abnormality of the situation. Something must’ve meant to free everyone; it had to, with these circumstances. Or was this all just a hilarious coincidence?

A man who would go on to introduce himself as Usuratonkachi Ren was the first to actually step out of his imprisonment, and in his doing so, became the commotion himself. Tanyao’s thoughts lingered on his suggestion to stay and talk through their situation, but he would ultimately conclude that he had something else he needed to prioritize, first.

The dark-haired male who had left right after seemed to unknowingly share this sentiment.

Another individual saw to it that they, too, voiced their thoughts; at first condemning Usuratonkachi Ren’s words, but ending with agreement. Tanyao didn’t fail to recognize the inconsistency of their speech, though it was no matter―after all, despite her threats, his decision wasn’t going to change for the sake of walking on “the right path”. It was already far too late for that, from just about the moment he was born.

And so, staying was certainly an option, but not one he’d take. He had to find where the guards put his tessen, and if it did turn out they were all supposed to leave, he was sure that some of the others would like to reunite with possessions of their own.

Not uttering a word, Tanyao slipped out from his confinement and ambled through the dimly lit hallway. Now that he was out, he could better take note of exactly who was there with him, prismatic irises glancing between a few different figures. He decided not to make an effort in engaging with any of them, though―at most, he’d send them a smile that read of ambiguity.

It was at that point in time when a foreign-looking individual chimed in. Her point about letting the outsider take lead was one that made sense, but after looking around, Tanyao took note of the fact that she wasn’t the only one from abroad. Additionally, he was quite aware of his position among his own people, being an undertaker and all, so should they get caught, he wasn’t expecting any sort of clemency.

His back now facing the others, form halted in front of the exit, Tanyao’s hand had grasped onto the hem of his hakama sleeve and he near instinctively brought it up to the bottom half of his visage (habit, perhaps?). And with a mellow tone, smile still present in the form of his voice, he spoke.

“Ah∼ That is an idea among many, hm? I am in agreement, and yet, I don’t agree... see―「 Following the King’s death, Someplace-Somewhere Gaijin, a prime suspect, leads a prison break! 」... Well, it’d be quite a catastrophe, really.” A short, light-hearted laugh escaped from behind the fabric of his sleeve. “I’ll still act on my own idea of ideas, noble or un-noble as they are. Mine also happens to involve leaving this place, but standing around deliberating about something I’ve already decided upon, is…”

He sighed; somehow, it was hard to discern between it being an act of theatrics, or something half-hearted.

“... Anyway, your words of self-sacrifice have been noted, at least. They were quite interesting... Possibly.”

― ✦

It wouldn’t take him much longer to make it to the outdoors, though not even a breath of fresh air later, he’d come to realize that something wasn’t quite right. Not only did the guards fail to make their rounds underground, there weren’t any stationed outside, either; moreover, there was not a single living soul to be seen. No guards, no servants, no nobles… No one. The only things that kept him company were the lifeless silence and the prisoners he shared this predicament with.

The emanation that lingered was nothing but an eerie stillness; a lonesome existence in which even the springtime breeze had fled from. And for an ephemeral moment, he wondered what he’d do if he were the last person on earth―an unlikely scenario that hadn’t come to be. The appearance of desertion was something that’d birth internal contemplation, it’d seem. Perhaps he should contemplate on his next course of action, instead; and that, he did.

His gaze found itself wandering towards the keep of the palace, a grand and important building that stood tall a fair distance away. If he remembered correctly, storage was something to be found inside, and that meant his stuff could be there, as well.

And so, he set off, a small sense of foreboding in the corner of his mind.

♡coded by uxie♡

Onigawara Yuna and Ruan Tianyou

Y.png
When the cell doors abruptly unlocked, seemingly without rhyme or reason, Onigawara Yuna hardly seemed to stir at first. She had spent the entire time within her cell despondent and unresponsive, deeply affected by the ghastly murder of the king that she had sworn her life to protecting and serving. It was as though she was a puppet whose strings had just been cut, the once proud and valiant warrior now limp and weak, barely able to muster the will to stand up and brave to saunter out of the cell, driven only by a potent mix of confusion and curiosity.

On the other hand, Ruan Tianyou had been -- for his part -- pacing back and forth in his cell, completely restless as a myriad of wayward thoughts swarmed in his head. At once, he was thinking about how he'd surely recommend to the emperor that his assigned bodyguards would receive a dock in their pay if and when this all got sorted out and he was able to return home. At another, Tianyou was thinking about how just utterly screwed he was. Not that he wasn't torn up over the death of such a nice guy like the king, but he couldn't deny he was just a bit more worried about the likelihood of him getting out of here at all. Not only him, but that blonde woman who had caught his eye earlier -- before everything had gone down -- as well. Now that sounded like the beginning of a bad joke.

T0.png
Two foreign dignitaries walk into a country, and the king suddenly ends up dead. Knowing how even the most civilized of countries tended to act toward foreigners, he should only be so lucky if he and the woman get strung up and executed on the spot without even having a fair trial. But, if nothing else, he knew this was unfortunately an occupational hazard, if only one that was pushed to the extreme. If only he'd have a chance to plead his case, then surely he'd be able to worm his way out of this pickle. Especially since for once, he was actually innocent of whatever he was being accused of. Uh, scratch that "for once" part.

As both Yuna and Tianyou stepped out of their respective cells, looking toward the redheaded man who wasted little time centering himself before everyone and laying out the two choices they had, for lack of anyone else to explain who unlocked their cells and for what reason. Play the game that was implied when the doors were unlocked and try to make a break for it, or temper fate and stay where you were as an assertion of your innocence. Oh, choices, choices. But no, Tianyou had played this game before, at least in his many thought exercises. Right off the bat, he felt like a rat in a cage being guided through the maze, but he was no animal. He'd keep his calm and try to keep things going at his own pace. That was all he could do in a situation that was engineered to take every iota of power out of his hands, after all.

Crossing his arms, his white jacket swaying slightly as it hung from his shoulders, Tianyou only gave a wry smile as he tried to keep his cool. "Yes, as you said, wise Ren-sama," he began teasingly, playing along with Usuratonkachi's words. "It may be in our best interests if we don't venture too far. Running only makes you look guilty, after all. That's why we shouldn't act so reckless, and that goes doubly for foreigners like us. Wouldn't you agree, miss?" He continued, turning toward Marica with his latter sentence.

"You talk like our people are willing to cut down anyone, even its own people and retainers, at the slightest hint of dissent," Yuna said to Tianyou, her eyes glaring daggers at the foreign ambassador as she had finally gathered her bearings again.

"Well, we are in a dungeon," Tianyou responded without missing a beat. "That's only... what, two steps removed from summary execution?"

"Bite your forked tongue, insolent devil!" Yuna exclaimed, clenching her fist toward Tianyou, who only raised his hands in resignation, verbally agreeing not to say any more. With a worn sigh, the woman forced herself to calm down before also directing her attention toward Marica. "A noble gesture, but not a necessary one, gaijin-san. Even if they threw me down here without giving any quarter, the fact remains that I am a Royal Guard, if not to the king anymore than to his surviving kingdom. I would hope my words still have some sway here, and ideally I'd be able to explain to the guards or whoever here why this must surely be a misunderstanding."

Still, Yuna let it go unsaid that aside from herself, surely the guards had to have gotten it right that one of these suspects had to be involved somehow, right?

Seeing the dark-haired man, followed by the strange blonde man, already make their decision and take off, the disarmed warrior let out a sigh. "Well, if any of you wish to take action, we should make haste and follow suit," she advised. The sooner she could move forward, the sooner she'd be able to get to the bottom of all this. With that said, Yuna also elected to follow after those who had already began to move, hoping to even get in front of them and anoint herself the leader of the group. Not in an ego way, of course, but to see if she could leverage her position and see how that would work out for her.

Tianyou, meanwhile, just stood with his arms once again folded, having decided to stay put for the time being. Fools. If there was any benevolent motive behind unlocking their cells, it wouldn't have been done in such an ominous manner like this. For all he knew, everyone who intended to leave were just marching toward the gallows. Maybe that was the custom here; let them walk themselves to their deaths so that they can die getting their hopes up, only to crush it at the last moment and bring them into the deepest depths of despair.

But for now, he could only look at Usuratonkachi and the light haired woman who also elected to stay behind. "... So, how should we pass the time while we wait for anything else to happen? I don't suppose any of you would happen to have a pipe on you, would you?"

poi poi Nellancholy Nellancholy San San

Last edited:
Nikukushi Sera

• The giant of a man had been sleeping like a log in his own confinement. With a deep snort, he snorted himself awake―his teal-colored hair still a mess as if he spent hours tossing about. Then the locks made their sound, and everything followed. He looked attentively at his surroundings; some kind of fancy castle dungeon that seemed far too grandiose to be a place for criminals. And apparently, he was locked in here along with several others. The oaf could not think of any reason why he could have warranted such a punishment. Then he remembered just a bit ago... how the guards had approached him while he was cleaning up in the royal kitchens.

◼◼◼​

Several guards barged inside with volcanic force as if it was an impenetrable fortress they were trying to break into; a sense of hurry and tense solemnness as they formed a circle around someone working at the royal kitchens.

A lone man had volunteered to clean up everything, the royal chefs and subsequent workers had left early and were thankful for it. Whistling a tune, he turned his head with curiosity; the towering figure asked naïvely as he was cleaning cookware after everything had been delivered to His Highness, "Hey folks? Is there anything you need? Everyone else—"

About to wipe the sweat off his brow, the cook was caught by surprise when the guards made no verbal response but instead, all of them went straight to grabbing Sera's arms and dragged him away without further explanation. He followed them sheepishly, not realizing anything more than he was being escorted, having never got the sense they were treating him like some sort of criminal, however. Eventually he learned that their ruler had been killed.

No... assassinated.

He was supposed to be in mourning as he knew their ruler was a benevolent one, and for something to happen was so devastating. Yet the teal-haired man was still very much processing this, only leaving room for immense shock. The pieces connected and he realized then that he was a suspect. So perhaps, they might have mistaken him for another? There must be someone they're looking for who shared a strong resemblance to him...

“Don't worry you lot! I'm sure everything is gonna get cleared up pretty soon," He mumbled out loud, wondering if his assailants would notice their error once they figured he wasn't the guy they were looking for.
    Yet his wishful thinking would be for naught.

◼◼◼​

Before the big guy could contemplate further, he heard a rambunctious man make an announcement. It appeared that everyone was free to escape now. Still, he couldn't shake off the odd feeling he sensed in the air. Something about it didn't sit well with him. Sure enough, that strange sensation of being watched did not go unnoticed by him. Should he introduce himself now? It seemed plenty of people were putting their say in about the current situation. No need to throw more fuel into the fire. Instead, Sera decided to stay where he was briefly and let the conversation play out a bit.

Though this certainly was quite the predicament. Being trapped in a jail cell inside the dungeon of the palace grounds was not exactly his idea of an exciting visit to where the nation's ruler resided. Plus, this was just wrong! Everyone seemed to be wrongly imprisoned here with no visible proof of breaking the law. Of course, one could not deny that these people had somehow done the vile deed and deserved their sentence. But for all of them? The titan wanted to believe otherwise. In a time like this, Sera knew all too well it'd be better if all of them came together if possible and had each other's backs. ...Maybe not in a literal sense.

With a cheery voice, despite having just woken up, he inserted himself into the conversation, "This err... oracle lady is right. Let's all play nice and work together now you hear?" He stretched his muscles before walking towards the bars that caged him in, and promptly stepped out right after that.

All this talk about electing who should lead the group had Sera thinking. What was stopping them from just going outside and deciding the leader then and there? They should probably hurry and investigate rather than be stuck here trying to figure out who does what. The whole point of getting out of jail and staying in a team was so that they wouldn't be alone in dealing with whatever chaos awaited them out there. The titan turned to face the warrior, and the female foreigner; seeing that most of these folk seemed to prefer action rather than discussion, maybe now was a good time to make his move as well.

"I hear ya, I hear ya! But a leader can be decided later or else we’ll fall behind—come along then everyone!" the culinary artist urged.

He was ready to step ahead when he happened to recall the woman with the silly looking hat who seemed to speak like she knew what was up with everything. Was she really an oracle? If so, how much foresight did she truly have? Did she know something that they all didn't? Perhaps, but Sera wouldn't press the issue for now. Besides, her plan of sticking together sounded promising. Even if they weren't aware of it, if they worked together as a cohesive unit, they would be better off in case things went downhill.

That said, taking advantage of being one of the few to introduce themselves, he moved towards the others and addressed them in an earnest tone, "Say, would any of you like to introduce yourselves, asides from Ren-sama? Perhaps it'd help us become better friends if we got to know each other more!"

Not waiting for any form of reaction, he joyfully continued with his own.

"The name's Nikukushi Sera! Nice to meet you all! You can just call me Nikukushi!"

code by San San

The blonde man's condescension and the royal guard's outburst left Marica just a tiny bit disheartened, though she didn't show it. A good number of the detainees had already taken the initiative to leave, despite her words and those of the others who had stayed behind. Such lagging on her part would not reflect kindly on her among her own subordinates.

She addressed first the Nikanian ambassador. "Utmost apologies, 少爷 (shaoye). I do not believe anyone has had the same mind for...recreation as your kind self." Of course, the Pacific Empire knew much of Nikan, and had a profitable (if often tumultuous) relationship with them. She had learned the language for excursions there, and geographically their ports were an important stop on the way to Usaginomiya. Whether this lout's bud of choice was tobacco or opium, she didn't much care.

Then she turned to the amiable, heavily-built man who had joined the conversation. "I am...thankful to make your acquaintance, Sera-san. I am Blackmore-Harkon-" (here she glanced back at Tianyou) "-ambassador of the West Pacific Trading Company to His Majesty." He seemed a sight more trustworthy than most; perhaps he reminded her of the men who she saw spending their days breaking and hauling coal from the bowels of the earth to feed the Empire's industry. The kind of men she appreciated, but did not want to share the fate of.

"And I, while in no hurry to turn myself in, am about to take this opportunity to find means to prove my innocence and absolve my employers and...the Marchioness of all accusation. Whether this includes finding the true assassin, if they are any of us to begin with, is none of my concern."

In truth, she was worried. If the news got out, would the locals riot? Would the ships- the Marchioness be in danger?

"Sera-san. Master Apothecary." She nodded at the two men. "Excuse me. You are welcome to follow, if you wish."

With that, she stepped out of the dungeon. Her priority was staying hidden in whatever environment she found there, and keeping an eye out for anything that might exonerate her. Finding a weapon was a distant second priority: she would almost certainly need to defend herself, but to be seen armed would be cause for even more trouble. Her path would take her to the nearest high point, where she could get the lay of the land and determine the disposition of the population of the port town. She might even be able to intervene in any situations that the previous departures might get involved in, but the chances of that were...unlikely.

San San Verite Verite poi poi

scroll

01. ensou

円 相 !

mood

rather calm

started at

underground ― prison

ended at

underground ― prison

interactions

sera, tianyou, others in the cells still

tags

One could argue that she would find the current situation to be one of distaste. To be confined within these unkempt walls which held solemn memories of the previously detested; to be denoted as subhuman over an ambiguous sin, even if for just a small amount of time. To be left to decay because of the belief that maybe, just maybe, she was the one with her hands stained red as her beloved King lay lifeless in her wake. Whether or not that “red” was blood was something that wouldn’t matter, for she knew that the only “truth” that existed was the one they’d come to perceive.

And yet, a frown was nowhere to be seen on her gracious visage, nor a twitch of discomfort in her unyielding posture. She who liked all things extravagant was perfectly unbothered within her own perfect presence, as amidst the dirt and grime of her imprisonment, she could only shine greater in comparison.

Such was the woman named Otsukimi Ensou, the esteemed High Priestess of this now tragic country.

― ✦ flashback.

As the kannushi approached the palace’s genkan in her preparation for departure, a somewhat rough grasp had suddenly taken ahold of her left forearm. Unexpected, she thought; the urgency in this action implied that this may have been for something important. She would not be fazed by it in the slightest―dire matters should be handled with dignity and a calm mind.

Slowly, Ensou turned to face the perpetrator, greeting him with an oh-so-familiar closed-eyed smile. He was a royal guard, and was accompanied by three more, all with grim expressions that were directed towards her. Her. Oh, but why…? Surely her little disagreement with the King wouldn’t warrant such a reaction from these nameless men.

Of course, when her red hues met theirs, she didn’t fail to notice the brief, subtle quiver in their otherwise imposing forms.

The front guard released his hold on the priestess as if he were unsure of something; perhaps, a fleeting internal conflict of interest. He knew had to hold on, it was too dire not to, but, ah, instinct disagreed. It was obvious this wouldn’t bode well.

“Pardon my hostility, Otsukimi-sama. But… I regret to inform you of the King’s demise,” the guard began, his pause not lasting long as Ensou silently urged for him to continue. “As we are all aware, he was a man of stellar health, and not far in his years. We… For this reason, we’ll have to ask you to come with us.”

Ensou’s smile had slightly faded, as that was to be expected after receiving such news. “There is no sense as to why our dear King would suddenly pass, if not from someone else’s doing. These are the thoughts thou wish to convey, are they not?”

“Correct…”

“... I understand. Fear not, for I possess no intention to resist,” she assured, sliding on her geta sandals―something she was already about to do, prior to the interruption. “It would be arrantly unwise to tread upon this catastrophe while bound by the shackles of hysteria. I shall do what I must, if it ensures that stability returns to this land… Now, may thou lead the way.”

― ✦ flashback end.

Even as the locks shattered, Ensou’s composure remained. It was an undeniably odd occurrence, yes, but what good would panicking about it do now? Ensou was not an individual who did that thing called panicking.

After choosing to observe the interactions between the others, it was clear they had settled on two obvious choices: one, to remain in the underground chambers, whether out of fear for the outside or as to not rush through possible points of interest. Or two, to explore beyond, as no matter how you looked at it, there was no getting a full picture of the situation without doing so.

As several of her peers took it upon themselves to leave, Ensou would turn her attention to the metal fragments of what used to be the lock to her cell. Being someone who had spent her entire life in close proximity to the palace, as an important figure no less, she knew something like this had never once occurred before. The people in charge were not known to be merciful towards those who threatened the peace of Usaginomiya, nor were they the types to let the imprisoned leave their cells as some kind of inefficient “test”.

Not to mention, even if they did intend to unlock the cells, how could they have gotten it to happen in such a manner? Would it not be more appropriate to have the keyholder do it themselves, as opposed to damaging these important structures? Was the keyholder still around to begin with?

Slowly, the priestess saw to it that she, too, stepped out of her cell. It was about time that she had joined in on this conversation, wasn’t it?

“Please excuse my lack of contribution up until now,” she began, a cordial smile ever so present on her features. “I fear that speaking without time for thought could be devastating, akin to moving towards a thick fog in a bout of unchecked haste.”

From her prior observations, she also noted that some of those who shared her predicament were somewhat familiar faces; there was a good chance she had seen them around at some point while attending to important matters of her own. One of these people was none other than Nikukushi Sera, the man who she’d known to have taken up a spot in the royal kitchen some time ago, and also the man who further urged for others to introduce themselves.

“Nikukushi-san, was it? Thy reputation as a true culinary artist precedes thee; I have heard many a praise. Unfortunate as it is, it seems as though several notable figures have found themselves in the center of this calamity…” During the second half, her scarlet irises trailed over towards the others left in the area as if to acknowledge them, though it was hard to tell if it was out of respect or… not.

“... Continuing onwards, I am Otsukimi Ensou, kannushi to the Usaginomiya Shrine; it is my utmost pleasure to meet everyone. While I am of the belief that there is much to be learned upon venturing outside, perhaps this split is somewhat of a good thing. Those of us who choose to leave may gather additional intel in doing so, while those who stay can do the same. ‘Divide and conquer’, as they say.”

Finally, she directed her kind (?) gaze to the Nikan native. “Thus, as Blackmore-Harkon-san insinuated, I am afraid thy request for recreational indulgence must be tended to at a later point in time. This is no issue, is it?”

♡coded by uxie♡

Ruan Tianyou and Onigawara Yuna
1695842714464.png
Tianyou clasped his hands together in delight at Marica, letting out a laugh that even surprised him to a small extent, as she demonstrated some knowledge of his native language, cursory as it may have been or not. "Oh, splendid, splendid! I suppose I should have guessed that a fellow ambassador like you would know a bit of the Nikaran language, Ms. Blackmore-Harkon. As intelligent as you are beautiful, no doubt!" He exclaimed boisterously without any shame or embarrassment. He didn't even seem to respond at all to her rejection of his request for anything to smoke, nor when the girl who identified herself as Otsukimi did so either.

When the gentle giant who introduced himself as Nikukushi, Tianyou let out a wide shrug, as if in resignation. "Well, just in case this takes much longer than it should, which is always the case when red tape is involved, you may know me as Ruan Tianyou, ambassador on behalf of the Empire of Nikan. However, though I may be a dignitary for the state, please don't look at me as representative of the people at large. They're not nearly as troublesome as I am!" He laughed, perhaps inappropriately. How one such as him became a diplomat, one might never be able to fathom.

1695951448570.png
Standing a little ways from the rest of the group, waiting on the others to follow out of the dungeon when they were ready, the woman warrior let out a breath. "Onigawara Yuna. I wish we could have met under better circumstances, but I'm afraid we'll have to make do with where we are for the moment," she sighed.

Though Yuna wasn't egotistical enough to consider herself a local celebrity, it was ultimately unavoidable that she was prone to being the talk of the town every now and then during her service to the king. With that in mind, she had to wonder if she would have even needed to introduce herself if there were less outsiders here, between the foreigners and the traveling culinary artist, but it mattered little. Still, she gave a nod of recognition toward Ensou, someone she had in fact met before a few times. "Ms. Otsukimi. This is the last place I'd expect to see you again, but I hope the guards weren't too rough with you earlier. You need only say so, and I shall have whoever put their hands on you dismissed once this whole ordeal is cleared up, for whatever good my authority might still have," she said chivalrously, maintaining a steely gaze as she spoke that might have contrasted badly against her otherwise cordial words.

Well, not that the royal servants had much of a boss now anyway, but Yuna decided to scratch that thought out of her head.

poi poi Nellancholy Nellancholy San San

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back