• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

In the Darkest Days

Kazanna

That Thorn In Your Side
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
A play between @Sequoia and @Kazanna

Plot masterminded in Private Message, designed through Q&A

The year is 2019, and Earth, has fallen to the demonic legions of hell itself. Heaven it seems, has abandoned the middle ground, once and for all, leaving mankind to fend for itself. In the early hours of the invasion, hundreds, if not thousands of Hell-Gates spawned across the world, on every continent, in every ocean, and in the places we held most dear.

Humanity fell within a years time.

Our leaders and collective armies were routed, hunted down, and slaughtered, or defected to the demonic side and sold out the populations they could into slavery, or worse. The humans that fell in combat, did not stay dead, they returned, as seemingly limitless blight upon the land, a legion of undead monsters that savage their former kin mindlessly, their souls ravaged beyond repair, looking for their next victim to turn into one of their own kind.

Now you, are one of the last few thousand remaining human beings still free, and after being hunted by the demonic legions, and attacked relentlessly by their undead thralls, you are alone, and in the darkness of the fading world. But in every darkness, there is always hope, always a gleaming light.

The Question is...

Can you find it?

The dawn would not come soon enough as the demonic legions pressed forward through the streets. Lesser beasts of the near vermin status roamed about searching for survivors and new victims to ravage. Each of them were the size of Rottweiler's and four times as strong. The beasts hunted down humans who had survived the initial culling for their lording masters, who rewarded them with the flesh of the weak to better themselves.

With a shudder, Derrick held his breath as a full patrol of monsters shot past him in the darkness. He was filthy, covered in muck and grime, a stealth coating that left him nearly imperceptible to the beasts that were tracking him. He had been running from them for what felt like forever, and now, he was leaning against a wooden wall of a building in his home town. He had been in the city when the disaster had struck, and it had taken him almost a month to make his way back safely. He had managed to make it to his families home in the woods, and found his parents gone, the houses windows boarded.

In his search for his parents, Derrick had been discovered by a raiding party of the monsterish demons that roamed the world now. He held his breath now as the sniffers came by, trying to scent him out. He stayed still, his long blade drawn, the axe he had recovered from his home was coated in dust to keep him as stealth as he could manage. His time in the military had served him well the last few months, he knew how to go from visible, the basically not there within moments just from the surrounding environment. So now, as he gazed out at the street as the sniffers made their way past him, he held his breath a bit longer, before very slowly, very carefully exhaling.

It was going to be a very long morning.

Alice was hiding in the upper levels a building in her home town. When the end had come, she had been with her friend, Derrick, in the city. They had gotten separated when all hell broke loose and she had looked for days but never saw him. So she struck out on her own, her rifle and hunting knives with her. She had stayed the night in the old building but now it was time to move on. She crouched and rubbed the dirt and grime from the floor, all over herself to disguise her scent. She stashed her knives in her jacket and her boots before slinging a back-pack on and gripping her rifle tight. She slowly moved out of the building, staying to the shadows to avoid detection. As she moved along, slowly, she took note of the sun's height, thus determining the time. She cursed silently. If she wanted to make it to the next town by nightfall and meet up with the other survivors there, she would have to move faster.

After Derrick was sure the patrols had passed he came out of the shadow of the building and looked down the street, his eyes narrowing as he retraced his steps to retrieve the gear he had dropped. He made his way to the wall he had scaled earlier, and reversed his actions, moving over it carefully he dropped down. His kit, and the large axe that he had retrieved from his families cellar were still intact. He dug through the bag and pulled the strapping out for the axe and fastened it on, dropping the axe into it's heavy sling so it would feel almost weightless on his back.

Rolling his shoulders in the axes harness, Derrick tied the bag shut and slung it onto the handle of the axe, and over his back. He grunted and moved carefully back over the wall, muttering, "Need more covering clothing..."

He knew there was an old supply store that had some basic clothing at the end of the fourth block on the main street, so he made his way carefully down the street, sticking against the buildings like a shadow. He took careful measured steps as the world around him steadily got brighter. Dawn was coming, and the demonic legions would soon retreat back to their citadels. Derrick shuddered as he heard a howl in the distance. Sniffers finding new prey. He shook his head and continued on until he found the general stores remains. The front door was locked so with a deft kick, he removed the obstacle, muttering, "Sorry Dan, I'll buy you a new one when things blow over..." He pushed the door open and paced inside, closing the door behind himself he sat down, letting his eyes drift closed slightly, "Going to be a long day..." He murmured to himself.

As Alice watched the last of the demons and walkers retreat, she steeped out of the shadows and rolled her shoulders. A cold wind blew through and she shivered. Her jean's and tank top wouldn't be enough for the upcoming fall season. She decided to head to Dan's store to get some warmer clothes. As she walked, she steadily wiped the grime from her face and arms. She quickly stopped as she heard a howl and darted behind boxes, thanking her starts that she had a small build. When nothing came running, she continued.

The door had been kicked open and Alice gripped her rifle tighter. She stepped slowly towards the store, avoiding stepping on the debris to alert the person inside.

She stepped inside and looked around.

Derrick had been catnapping at the back of the store, as it was a general store, he had found all kinds of miscellaneous merchandise and he had stocked his bag with what he knew would be useful. His time in the military had prepared him for long term exposure, and his time living in the rural area had taught him how to hike around and live off the land. In truth, he had been training for this experience his entire life. So as the door opened again, and a shorter figure, less bulky then a demon, made its way in, armed and cautious, Derrick remained sill. He'd found a coat with a fine hood, and had sat down beside the pile of them that was against the wall, relaxing, letting himself blend in, to appear almost like a Mannequin. He knew he could wait it out, watch to see what the person would do, but something felt familiar about the figure, something that he couldn't quite place until his eyes readjusted to the light.

"Oh my god... Ally, Your alive..." He said shifting carefully, he knew he was going to startle someone with a gun, so he raised his hands slowly, made himself as unthreatening as possible, "I thought I'd lost you... I did lose you... Your alive..." There was considerable shock in his face, his features simply adrift in the mix of emotions, shock, joy, amazement, just to name a few. His best friend, was alive, in a world gone to Hell, and she was standing right in front of him.

Alice kept her guard up until she heard the figure speak.

Her voice shook when we spoke, gun still pointed at the man. "Only two people in this world calls me Ally. What did my best friend give to me on my 18th birthday?" She had to be sure it was Derrick and not some impostor who would pretend to be a friend and then back-stab her. She stepped closer, boot-clad feet crunching on broken glass and various trash items. the sun glinted off an abandoned car onto the Man's face and Alice swallowed a gasp.

Derrick grinned at her, sliding off the end of the table he was sitting on, looking her over, he shrugged and said, "I didn't get you anything, I was deployed already, and when I got back after deployment, I took YOU shopping for all the missed birthdays." He held the grin on his face, "You still have that little backless black number?"

He chuckled lightly, knowing she'd remember, and he'd be in the clear as far as the gun pointed at him went. Derrick sighed and leaned against the counter, "So what happened after we got split up?" He asked her quietly.

Alice gasped dropped her rifle and launched her self at him, hugging him tight. "Derrick!"

She smiled back when he asked about the dress. "I couldn't part with it so it's in my back pack. Don't know when I'd wear it though...It actually is a lot short and more revealing than I remember..." She trailed off.

She sat down in front of him and sighed. "After we got split up...I was...captured by some guys...who wanted....something from me..." She gestured to herself and closed her eyes. "I fought tooth and nail to get out of that hell-hole and I've been fighting to get back here since. I'm supposed to meet up with some other people tonight..." She dragged her rifle closer and set it in her lap.

Derrick nodded to her slowly, muttering, "I should have gone left... I'm sorry. Anything you went through, was my fault." He looked down at the floor and raised his right hand, rubbing the back of his neck, Derrick looked back up at her, "So these people your meeting up with, Friends? Or what?" He asked with a mix of curiosity and paranoia. Derrick had been alone for the duration of their separation. He had tried a group, once, it had failed, very quickly, in a very bad way. Derrick was paranoid of groups, there was always a demon affiliated in the group, always someone with a bag full of knives, ready and waiting to find the backs of everyone within reach.

"No. Derrick no. Anything that happened...was chance." She scooted closer and put her hand on his arm, smiling kindly. Sure, she had gotten through some terrible things but none of it was Derrick's fault. If anything, it was her's for being so naive.

She shook her head. "No. They got a radio working and sent out a message so I sent one back, saying I was alone and if I could meet up with them. Now that I found you....I might not go." She grinned at him.

With a slight pause, he frowned, "The demons have a beast that can listen into our transmissions, trace them too. God... You would have walked straight to your death..." His shoulders slumped as he looked at her, "You said YOU had a radio? A working two way transmitter?" He was shocked, even he didn't have anything that worked. When the initial wave of demonic monsters came through the rifts, most human technology had been destroyed. So now, Derrick was constantly scrounging for new technology, anything that would work, anything to give him even a slight edge against the rampant horde that was devastating the world.

She frowned. "I...I never though of it like that..." She shivered slightly.

Ally nodded, grinning. "Yeah, I got one working! You know how I was taking the engineering classes in college...turns out, they've been pretty useful!" She reached into her pack, pulling out a small radio and a mouthpiece that was attached. She looked at him before pointing to the switch. "It's turned off right now but..."

Nodding at her, Derrick dropped his own bag on the counter, it had been on his shoulder, "Your awesome, Now let me see that thing for a second." Derrick said quietly. If she would allow him use of it, Derrick would key it on, and take the mouth piece, He set the broadcast for the A/F setting, which pushed to all frequencies. He pressed down on the mouth pieces trigger and spoke into it.

"This is Derrick Cullerman, I'm a Staff-Sargent in the United States Marine Core. I am broadcasting on all frequencies on a hand held radio. This is a warning to anyone with a radio anywhere that can pick this up. Do not use your radios, current Intel suggests the enemy may have a being who can not only pick up on our signals, but translate them to enemy speech and track them after a short duration broadcast. I will be repeating this message from time to time, anyone with a two way had best do the same. Do not go to your meet up destinations, I repeat, avoid any preplanned meets at all costs. They are confirmed compromised." Derrick would say into the receiver.

He switched off the radio, and shrugged at her, "And now, they know where we are. But hey, if things work out." He grinned, his big stupid dopey grin at her, one that had always in the past won enemies over until they were his friends, and reduced all arguments he'd had with anyone to something of a few moments. "We'll be heroes!" He chuckled lightly as he offered the radio back. "We have about ten minutes to go to ground before they send a sniffer squad out here." He said with a light laugh, "So if there's anything you need..." He motioned around the store, "Five minute shopping spree, On me babe. Just like old times."

Ally watched him with admiration as he gave his little speech over the radio. She smiled at him and put the radio back in her pack. She reached up and carded her hands through his hair, dislodging debris. She then kissed his cheek and turned to grab a jacket and find a bottle of pain relief pills. She put the bottle and jacket into her pack and turned to him, an extremely soft light in her eyes. "I'm done. " she whispered.

With a shake of his head, Derrick made his way to the back of the shop, motioning for her to follow after him. "Always the minimalist eh Ally?" He put his ear to the door and slowly, quietly, unbolted the lock. He was cautious, it was what had kept him alive this long, and that wasn't about to change. If anything, he was even more paranoid now that he had Alice with him. He had something to protect again, a reason to find a safe haven. "There was a patrol... a few hours before you came though the door... I've been avoiding them for about a week now. I injured their sniffer on my first encounter with them, it nearly cost me an arm though." Derrick said as he cracked the door open, and gazed out before he opened it fully. The coast was clear, for now, and he wanted to be far away from here before the patrol made it's way back.

Derrick would lead Ally out the door, and towards the woods behind the town. There was still several blocks of the town left that they needed to traverse before it would open into the scrublands which preceeded the woods. "My parent's cabin, oddly enough, was left untouched. Dad's old solar panel array is still going, but I've been too worried about breaking anything to use any of the tech there..." He looked back to her, and smiled broadly, "But with your nerdy brain with me, I might actually be able to hide there for a bit, at least until this patrol passes... Just..." He glanced down the street they were about to cross, "We can't go directly there or they'll find the cabin instantly..." He said with a stern tone.

Ally grinned back at him, using her soft leather boots to step noiselessly over the ground. "Don't you know it! Especially now...minimalism is safer."

Ally now had something to live for..fight for. The man in front of her was her life now. She had harbored feelings for him for a long, long time. She was content to stay friends for now, if it meant he would stay with her. She was not willing to risk that just because of her feelings. When he mentioned loosing an arm, her eyes flickered down to his torn sleeve and she quickly assessed for any serious injuries. Finding none, she breathed out a sigh of relief.

"I see how it is. Only love me for my brains, huh?" She teased, happy that there might be a place where they could rest up and maybe even barricade and stay...for as long as they could hold out. She remembered spending summers at the cabin with Derrick and his family. Days full of insects buzzing and water-balloon fights. "We can zig down main street then across that old empty lot on 4th street before running for the woods?" She whispered, already mapping out the route in her head.

With a quiet laugh, Derrick shook his head, "You know it Ally. Brains, and nothing else." He said with a sarcastic tone. Derrick motioned towards the mountain, "Actually, it's a bit more complex then that, we need to work out way into the mountains and circle back around. It should take us at least two days. It'll be just like when we were younger and my dad took us camping. Except this time were being chased by ravenous monsters." He said with a more comical glint to the sarcasm.

Derrick would lead her to the edge of the town, where the old high school was. He motioned to it, "When everything went south, they used schools as relief zones, they ended up being harvest points for the demons. Now they're barren waste lands, but actually very useful for hiding in and losing sniffers in. Considering they sniff out pheromones, and this place used to be a high spot for it." He chuckled lightly as he paused beside the last building before the scrub lands that were between the school and the town. Derrick remembered jumping the fence a few times, ditching school, and coming back at last period, just so the teachers would get confused.

She grinned at him, chuckling lightly. "Yes, I seem to remember our summer's with a distinct lack of monsters." She shot back. She nodded at his explanation. "But what happened when night falls? We won't have anywhere to hide." She asked, placing a hand on his back and glancing around a corner.

She remembered when Derrick would always wait for her after school so they could walk home together. His friends used to tease him about it but he never stopped waiting. Even that one time she had gotten detention after school, he had gotten in trouble too so they could be in detention together. "I remember when they were harvest grounds...Thats how little Josie from across the street died." Ally's eyes darkened with anger and her voice shook.

With a slight laugh, Derrick made his way through the fence, pulling it open and holding it for her in return, "There is a certain degree of subtly needed to move at night. I know well of that finesse, and if you stick to me closely, you'll know it too." he said with a quiet tone. He sighed when she mentioned the death of one of their old neighbors. He hadn't been there when the town had fallen. He had missed the deaths of his parents, and many of his friends. He had feared he had missed Ally's death as well, and he was grateful that he hadn't, that he could be with her now.

"There were a lot of people that we lost the day this all happened. Mom, Dad, Everybody I knew is gone, Jason got killed on Main, his whole family had to watch. His sister told me. Just before she went south with some of her friends, they wanted me to go with them... but..." He looked back at her, and shrugged lightly, smiling quietly, "I wasn't about to abandon my best friend." Derrick said quietly.

Ally nodded smiling up at him. She knew he had been through a lot more than she had and she trusted him with her life. She could see in his eyes as well, anger and sadness.

"Hey...look at me. I'm fine. I didn't die." she said, stopping and cupping his cheek. "Derrick..you didn't even know if I was still alive back then...why didn't you go?!" She said. "Also...I have to tell you something important...can we stop and talk for a bit? Someplace safe?" she asked, looking around as she scooped her red hair into a ponytail.

Derrick nodded to her, "Safe is relative, but I know a good spot in here... The locker rooms in the gym are a good enough blanket. Even if they don't smell bad anymore, the pheromones are still there." He led her across the field, against the fence line and to the entry of the gym. He pushed the door open slowly, knowing the building had been abandoned for a long time, that no one, even the demons, came here anymore. "They released a parasite here, to clean up the mess. But it has a lifespan. A short one. It's like a week if it doesn't eat something." He motioned to an unmoving husk in the center of the room, "Yeah... That thing... I saw a few elsewhere, they're ravenous... But they eat themselves alive... See..." He motioned to the things lower section. It had chewed it's own legs off, it was like a giant centipede with oversized mandibles, it's husk was hollow now, it's innards had long ago dried up.

Derrick beckoned to her to follow him, "Locker room door's are heavy, remember when Jason got locked in with the keys. The principal never heard the end of it from the super, Fire safety, health Hazard, Locks on indoor rooms, How dare you! blah blah blah. I was in the office that day. Man was it ever funny..." He pushed the doors open, it was apparent how heavy the were in how slowly they moved, even with his physical prowess. He bowed lightly towards her, "Mi'lady, your sort of safe place awaits."

She nodded and tiptoes after him. Seeing the parasite, Ally wrinkled her nose and turned away, almost gagging at the sight. "I fucking hate bugs." She mumbled.

She chuckled as she remembered Jason getting locked in. "He was crying by the time they got him out. But, man! I wish I could've seen principle Sean's face!" she giggled.

She grinned up at him and stepped past into the locker rooms. She tested a bench with her boot before sitting down and taking off her pack.

"You might want to sit down Derrick..." She whispered, twisting her hands and playing with her silver ring he had given her more than 5 years ago.

Derrick raised a brow at her, and pulled off his own pack, he removed the coat he was wearing as well, the daytime was hot still, fall was setting in, but the chill didn't happen until nightfall. He sat down after a moment, on the bench against the wall. In the low light, she'd possibly miss the scars across his arms, the fresh wounds that were still healing on his left shoulder. He had once had perfect skin, but the constant run in's with demons and monsters, had scarred him visibly. It didn't bother him any, just reminders of what not to do in the future.

Derrick nodded to her quietly, "I can't remember the last time you got this serious Ally... What's going on?" His eyes studied her, like he was trying to read the pages of a book closed to him that should have been open. It worried him to see her like this.

She took out her pony tail so that her red, curly hair tumbled down around her face, covering it from his view.

She bit her lip and fiddled with her ring. she sniffled and looked up at him through he bangs, eyes swimming with tears.

"Please don't get mad..okay? Promise you won't get mad?" She whispered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back