In a Sci-Fi game, what must you be able to?

MDL

RIP Doctor Calgori (2012-2017)
What would be the one top thing you couldn't live without doing in a Space Opera kind of Sci Fi gaming system?

What is the thing you always wanted to do in a Sci-Fi game?

Explore strange alien world and culture. I always thought it was interesting to see how people interact differently from us, it gives a sense of wonders and keep me wanting to explore every corners of the galaxy to find out more weird/strange places. If I had to cite examples, Stargate SG-1 would be a good one.

Something I always wanted to do...play the invaders, as in we are the aliens coming to invade earth either infiltrate mission or all gun blazing works well either way.

Freeman said:
Fly a Starship... Or, lasers of some kind.
How about what you've always wanted to do. Cause I assume that's what you can't play without.
RetroCity said:
Explore strange alien world and culture. I always thought it was interesting to see how people interact differently from us, it gives a sense of wonders and keep me wanting to explore every corners of the galaxy to find out more weird/strange places. If I had to cite examples, Stargate SG-1 would be a good one.
Something I always wanted to do...play the invaders, as in we are the aliens coming to invade earth either infiltrate mission or all gun blazing works well either way.
So one of the most important things would be to nurture the sense of how vast space is? Is that what you would consider most important, the exploration?
The invaders scenario is interesting, though it would need to be done very well. It sounds like if it's not, it would become very one sided.

medelsvensson said:
How about what you've always wanted to do. Cause I assume that's what you can't play without.
So one of the most important things would be to nurture the sense of how vast space is? Is that what you would consider most important, the exploration?

The invaders scenario is interesting, though it would need to be done very well. It sounds like if it's not, it would become very one sided.
Well 1 thats what I want to do in the first place... That is as to why I am playing Astrum, to command fleets and conquer! Which oddly enough more people need to join, even if characters, the new hybrid systems allow for non-nation profile to be accepted. Hell thats why they were put in to place in the first place to get new comers interested in NBRPs. But sorry for my small little rant.

2. Well its not necessary how you portray the Galaxy but how you portray what is in it. Star Wars, Mass Effect, and Firefly are a few examples that come off the head for it. Star Wars is a galaxy packed to the brim full of exotic life and so many questions and a deep history. Mass Effect shows that while 1% of the galaxy has been explored it shows that there can be more to it, in such little of it. As for Firefly, well that just proves that you can create a good sci-fi experience with the bare minimum.

All really depends on what you want to do.

RetroCity said:
Well I know I don't want to be on this but ill say it here and be done with it. There is a game of which you describe and you can invade Earth persay. But in Astrum while a NBRP the main point of it as what you may want. You can explore, expand, exploit, and expand among the stars with your own custom race. Just saying, because it dose need more active players in it other then me.

RetroCity said:
Astrum,I'll read over it, it seems intriguing enough.
You really should, unlike a popular trend now adays, its not based off a Book, the system is completely custom made and is extreme easy to understand with one or two look around of the main guide. If you need any help feel free to ask me or Learo.

Freeman said:
You really should, unlike a popular trend now adays, its not based off a Book, the system is completely custom made and is extreme easy to understand with one or two look around of the main guide. If you need any help feel free to ask me or Learo.
The day you pronounce my name right, is the day I'll crown you King..... of pronouncing my name right.

RetroCity said:
Astrum,I'll read over it, it seems intriguing enough.
You absolutely should! Astrum is not only about building an interstellar empire, it's also about exploring alien worlds and making first contact with all sorts of alien races. You can have a look at the Frontier forum to see what players have encountered thus far, but know that I have a lot more races, civilizations and worlds, planned, each with their own stories, mysteries and other things. (And like Freeman said, if you have any questions regarding Astrum, feel free to hit me up with a PM.)

And so that this isn't a complete Astrum-whoring off-topic post; One thing I'd like to do myself, and would love to see, is a.. Battlestar Galactica/Stargate Universe/etc.. -esque, people living aboard a spaceship thing. Where players could fill the roles of various crew members, and have missions, tasks and things to do and participate in. Perhaps something in the style of Stargate or even Star Trek, with the focus on relationships and how life works aboard a spacecraft, from BGS (What I love most about that show (remastered one mind you) is the fleet's internal relations, the politics, the every day lives, the bar in the hangar, friction between the military and the civilians, as well as how hard it can be to be stuck aboard a tightly packed spaceship for several years.).

I gotta admit the new BSG was way better than the original. Grittier, grimier and more in keeping with the shattered remnants of an advanced civilisation broken and destroyed by war, not the bright, shiny, 'Ohh, future stuff!' image of the 70s version.

But, back on topic, I like the whole 'you are part of a crew' thing especially where close, extended interactions are expected.

Captain Hesperus

A couple of years after Firefly came out a group I was in did a roleplay modeled on that show. Crew and passengers all together on a ship that's always in need of repairs/upkeep, and the intrigues of living on the edge of legal. I enjoyed the themes we explored during the year or so we played: space is dangerous, the galaxy is beautiful, exploring new places can be fun...and dangerous... :) My character wound up with a phobia about planet-fall as he got shot. Every. single. time. our ship went dirtside (except for one time, and then he was electrocuted).

For me, if I'm going to play a sci-fi game, what I look for and need depend on what genre we're using. Near future? What shiny new toys do we get to use? Post-apocalypse? Let's rebuild, what's left? Star traveling? What's our ship like, and who will we meet out there in the dark? So I don't look for just one thing, but inside a given genre there are things I look for or try to introduce via my character.

Millershipper said:
A couple of years after Firefly came out a group I was in did a roleplay modeled on that show. Crew and passengers all together on a ship that's always in need of repairs/upkeep, and the intrigues of living on the edge of legal. I enjoyed the themes we explored during the year or so we played: space is dangerous, the galaxy is beautiful, exploring new places can be fun...and dangerous... :) My character wound up with a phobia about planet-fall as he got shot. Every. single. time. our ship went dirtside (except for one time, and then he was electrocuted).
For me, if I'm going to play a sci-fi game, what I look for and need depend on what genre we're using. Near future? What shiny new toys do we get to use? Post-apocalypse? Let's rebuild, what's left? Star traveling? What's our ship like, and who will we meet out there in the dark? So I don't look for just one thing, but inside a given genre there are things I look for or try to introduce via my character.
I'm aiming for a space opera type deal, like BSG, ST, SW, Firefly.
Freeman said:
I would not go as far as calling it a trend, there are more games submitted that don't use any kind of book than those who do.

medelsvensson said:
I'm aiming for a space opera type deal, like BSG, ST, SW, Firefly.
I would not go as far as calling it a trend, there are more games submitted that don't use any kind of book than those who do.
I was more so referring to the exulted community that joined to create RPdom. Them using books, to set up character sheets, powers, rules ect ect. Is common for them, but excludes those who don't have the time/patients/opportunity to read a RP book so that they could participate in to an Rp.

Point being is, what ever system you do create, be it original or ripping it off from some Rp book somewhere, make it easily accessible, an simple to understand. Not "You must have (Insert random Exulted RP book here) and have read (second Exulted Rp book) as well as reference (third Exulted Rp book) for the character sheet."

Thats my problem, and i be stick to it. Because yes while I could go easily pirate said Exulted book, and read up, at the same time the Storyteller could simply take what he or she lakes, form these Exulted books, not even reference to them at all, and post the parts of what they like in a thread here on the site and label it as the Main Guide. It would be easier for everyone.

Also note, I am not referring to the main Exulted Rps, that do use these books, but more so to the Rp hybrids that they spawn. That use the rules from these RP books.

Freeman said:
I was more so referring to the exulted community that joined to create RPdom. Them using books, to set up character sheets, powers, rules ect ect. Is common for them, but excludes those who don't have the time/patients/opportunity to read a RP book so that they could participate in to an Rp.
Point being is, what ever system you do create, be it original or ripping it off from some Rp book somewhere, make it easily accessible, an simple to understand. Not "You must have (Insert random Exulted RP book here) and have read (second Exulted Rp book) as well as reference (third Exulted Rp book) for the character sheet."

Thats my problem, and i be stick to it. Because yes while I could go easily pirate said Exulted book, and read up, at the same time the Storyteller could simply take what he or she lakes, form these Exulted books, not even reference to them at all, and post the parts of what they like in a thread here on the site and label it as the Main Guide. It would be easier for everyone.

Also note, I am not referring to the main Exulted Rps, that do use these books, but more so to the Rp hybrids that they spawn. That use the rules from these RP books.
I think the reasoning behind not doing what you're suggesting is, 1. Because of copyright infringement and 2. Because the members that enjoy Exalted wish for those who play with the exalted rules to support the creators of said rules.
I do understand where you're coming from with this. I myself don't like the Exalted lore or the system, but there are members who love nothing but. These will always exist, maybe they won't be as common in the future, but they will exist. We will have to live with it and accept that we can't play these games.

medelsvensson said:
I think the reasoning behind not doing what you're suggesting is, 1. Because of copyright infringement and 2. Because the members that enjoy Exalted wish for those who play with the exalted rules to support the creators of said rules.
I do understand where you're coming from with this. I myself don't like the Exalted lore or the system, but there are members who love nothing but. These will always exist, maybe they won't be as common in the future, but they will exist. We will have to live with it and accept that we can't play these games.
1 Its the internet, and I am not saying rip off all of the book or post all of the book on to which would cause copy right, but simple short handing a system that came from a RP book, I doubt will cause a copy right infringement.

2 Yes and the exulted players can have their books and all their lore that goes with it.

3 As for where I am coming from, I am coming from a RP site that had no connection to exulted, no connection any Rp books. At the moment they are alien and exclusive to me. I have been in several RPs that which site i reference but shall not be named, where the rules were made clear as day in a simple Thread. All i am saying is, what ever system you come up with, copied, inspired by, or even original form any Rp book. My point is keep it clear, and easy to access.

In a space opera, then, Medel, I'd say lots of traveling here and there, some space combat (hey, the turbolaser just took out that small fighter!! Yeehaw!!) :P , and then whatever on-planet themes you'd care to pursue. Smuggling, helping refugees, smuggling refugees from an oppressive gov't, etc. :-D

Alien/Racial Tensions, Don't forget political boundaries and planetary disputes. Also if you have any sort of massive empire, bureaucratic frustrations that impair the implications of certain tasks.

Also Space Pirates.

I'm reading David Drake's "Lt. Leary" series right now and to me it's the perfect example of space opera. Long journeys away from your command chain, different political entities to deal with, space combat, ground combat, intrigue, and heroism. Good stuff!! :)

Alright, I'm going to finish my Space Inc rules and then I'm making TrekWarsRunnerGalactica 2.0 Firefly Edition.

Ahh got to love Sci-fi, were you can take alot of the old and create it in to something new.

medelsvensson said:
Alright, I'm going to finish my Space Inc rules and then I'm making TrekWarsRunnerGalactica 2.0 Firefly Edition.
What the heck did I just read? :confused:

Good luck >_>

Making a rule system sounds like hell..

S

Seer said:
What the heck did I just read? :confused:
Good luck >_>

Making a rule system sounds like hell..
Making your own rules is a lot of fun. You get to make that game you've always wanted to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back