≈Imaginary Friend x Human≈ [One on One]

Carter shook his head. "No, no," he said defensively. He'd caught on to what he was hinting at immediately and was almost as cherry-faced as she was. "I mostly get sucked into your mind when you're dreaming. Or sometimes, if you're thinking of me or of a memory that involves me. Like when you drew me this morning."

---

Lily copied down the homework as the bell let out its shrill call. "Let me see," she said, looking down at her schedule. She pointed at third period. "I have art." She said. She wasn't in workshop class at all, and almost knew for a fact Brendon would not be in art. He didn't seem like the artsy type. "And after that I have..." She tilted her head. "Well, I guess I'm not sure what this means." She felt really lame for having to ask, but not having a memory made you forget, well, a lot. "What does IT mean?" She thought it had something to do with computers, but wasn't sure. Heck, she didn't even know schools had such strange classes. Then again, she'd registered late and had to be placed in a lot of random classes...

"Why didn't you say anything when I first saw you?" She thought back to when she'd seen him in their first class; how she'd freaked when he'd tried to help her get her things from her spilled purse. I must have looked like an idiot! She hated herself for not recognizing him immediately. She should have. She created him, after all. "Why are you staying here?"

+++

"Information technology." Brendon rattled off as if reading from a book. "Yeah, it's a computer class. You don't know much about computers, do you?" He asked, genuinely surprised. Who in this day in age didn't know how to work a computer?

"I did say something when I first saw you." He said nonchalantly, casually recalling his little mind-speak during his introduction this morning. Although, freaking her out by saying 'Remember me?' into her mind probably wasn't the best introduction. More like a slap in the face, if anything. "But when I tried to talk to you, you freaked out again and took off." He had to stop and think about her other question. Why WAS he staying here? He certainly had no obligation. He had all the same intelligence she had, so anything she learned he would automatically learn too, plus he could study on his own as well. But he couldn't imagine that scenario for some reason. He felt like he HAD to be near her, or something just wasn't right. "I'm not sure why I stay, I guess." He admitted finally. "Just feels right."

---

Lily looked defiant. "I'm sure I can work a computer just fine." She said, crossing her arms defensively. She was an imaginary friend and had never touched a computer in her life, but she somehow felt as if she could do it anyway. He was giving her a look that he thought she was some kind of cave woman or hermit. Which may not have been too far off, since she had no real idea of what she actually was. "Anyway, I should go." She added, not wanting to be late on her first day of classes. She knew that Brendon had no problem with showing up to class late, but she did.

"So that was you, inside my head. How did you do that?" Breena remembered how freaked she'd been when the thought entered her mind and she knew it wasn't hers. At least she wasn't going crazy. Just as she asked him that question, though, the teacher seemed to catch on that they weren't paying attention.

"Miss Sabreena, Mister Carter. Can I ask what is so interesting that you've been ignoring every word I'm saying?"

+++

"Alright. I'll see you later?" Brendon asked, wondering why he felt... hopeful. He could have any girl in the school, and yet, something about her was special, and he was intrigued to find out what it was. Why she struck something within him that no one else could.

"You bet!" Lily said happily. She offered him one last smile before turning and walking down the hall. She knew that the computer labs were located in another building right next to this one. It was between the gym and this hall, which was meant for all the basic classes. She surely hoped she wouldn't end up in the gym later today, but a glance at her schedule crushed those dreams, mentioning a co-ed gym period right after lunch. She walked into the computer lab and took a seat, thinking about Brendon. What was it that struck her so odd about him? He seemed unusual, like she was meant to be friends with him. Unknowingly, her thoughts formed a bond to his, and before she could tell what was happening, she slipped into his mind.

Looking at the world through Brendon's eyes, she realized she could also hear his thoughts. "What the hell?" She asked herself. What was going on?! She began to panic, unable to come back to her own body. Was it Brendon's thoughts she had hear earlier, clear as day in her head. "Focus!" She told herself. Putting all her effort behind it, she managed to pull herself from his mind and back into her own body. Looking around, she realized she was back to normal. Wide eyed, she couldn't think of any possible reason that that had just happened.

---

Carter smiled, ready to try to answer all of Sabreena's questions. "You can talk to me, too. I can teach-" Carter looked up when the teacher called the two of them out. He was obviously trying to confuse and humiliate Carter and Breena by claiming they were ignoring him and asking what was so important. Much to the teacher's dismay, however, Carter answered, with full confidence, "I was just getting some notes from Sabreena. I want to make sure I am caught up with the rest of the class." Also to the teacher's dismay, Carter then recited the last few sentences he'd said to the class. "Are my notes close enough?" Carter asked, a smug, mischievous grin lighting the corners of his lips. The teacher hadn't quite expected Carter to know what had been going on in the lecture.

Brendon suddenly felt a presence in his mind. A very feminine presence, though he wasn't sure how he knew that. All he knew was that he was in workshop, beginning to work on the stupid birdhouse (it was always a birdhouse, wasn't it?) that was their assignment today, and he felt it. He held a nail and hammer in his hands, but he couldn't bring himself to move anymore. He searched around in his mind, trying to figure out what was so... strange.

Then suddenly, he had it. A beautiful girl came to mind, one he wasn't expecting to see. "Lily?" He spoke, then realized that he didn't actually speak. He thought it. But just as he thought her name, the presence was gone. He shook himself, glancing to his right to see his friend staring at him.

"You okay man?" His friend asked.

"Yeah, I'm good." He hammered the nail into the piece of wood, his mind still reeling from what happened.

+++

Sabreena listened to Carter, her mouth wide open. She hadn't been paying attention at all, but obviously, he had. He must be a master at multitasking, she thought, a little on the jealous side. Closing her mouth, she turned to look at the teacher, who was obviously just as surprised as she.

"Yes, well, very good. Your notes are fine, Mister Carter." With that, he turned and stalked back to his desk, continuing the lecture that had to do with their work for the day. Of course now he was on the homework assignment, for class was almost over.

"How did you do that?" She whispered between writing down the homework pages.

Carter shrugged. "Just good at doing two things at once, I guess." He'd heard the teacher droning on and on in the background while the two of them were talking and had managed listening to both people at once. "If you want," he added as their assignment went up on the board. "I can teach you after school. How to speak to me with your mind, I mean..."

---

Lily rushed through her assignment in her computer class, glad to be heading to art right afterwards. Lunch would follow this class, and she definitely needed that break. She took a seat at one of the tables near the back, wondering what they'd be doing the first day. It didn't look like they'd be painting or sculpting anytime soon. She let out a sigh, frustrated with the beginner art class. None of these other students even knew how to hold a pencil...

"But I want to learn now." Sabreena pouted, looking much like the six year old who'd created him as she did so. Patience is a virtue, but it was one she'd never learned how to have. "Show me." She copied the assignment and put her books away, waiting for the bell to ring.

+++

Workshop passed quickly. They made their birdhouses, no homework, and still had about twenty minutes to kill. He sat back in his seat, still thinking about what had happened earlier. He was thinking about Lily again, and how he was somehow sure that what happened had something to do with her. He imagined he was with her instead, outside of school, walking on the beach.

Carter chuckled a little. "It's a little more complex than taking three minutes between classes. I promise I'll show you," he said, remembering her impatient nature. "But it takes a while. Maybe we can start at lunch, if you're that eager." He smiled. The bell rang then, and he looked at his schedule to see where he was supposed to go next. "I have art now." He said. Then lunch is after that." He was glad for that, since something said Sabreena would probably explode if she had to wait any longer.

---

Lily was waiting for class to start, tapping her pencil on the art room's desk. Suddenly, she blinked and her surroundings changed. She was on a beach, and beside her was -

"Brendon?" She asked. She looked around confusedly. "Is this... Like, a dream or something?" She asked. Lily figured she must have fallen asleep in class or something and was now having some weird dream. But if she knew she was dreaming, why couldn't she wake herself up from it? She noticed Brendon had that weird dreamy look on his face as well, and she wondered if he was also asleep. Could people share a dream like that? She wished she knew... 
((Ooc; I made it so whenever one of the humans is daydreaming or imagining something that involves my characters, they get sucked into it. I mean, they are part of the human's imaginations, so it would be weird if they could be imagined without being there. Like there was 2 of them or something. Lol. Anyway, if that's not ok let me know ;3 ))

((It's perfectly fine!))

"I have chorus." She blushed a little. She loved singing almost as much as she loved drawing; those were her two favorite things to do. "Then lunch, and you can show me. And don't think you're gonna be able to just forget." She poked him, smiling, then gathered her stuff and shoved it all into her bookbag. "I'll see you at lunch?"

+++

"Lily?!" Brendon looked over at her, surprise etched onto his features. "What are you doing here? I was just thinking about you and a beach and now... you're here." He glanced around at their surroundings then back at her. "How is this happening? Is it real?" Obviously, neither one of them knew what was going on. "I have to be dreaming."

Carter nodded. "Don't worry, I am not trying to forget," he said. "I told you I'd teach you." He smiled a little. "Yeah, I'll see you later then." He said, then led the way out to the hallway, parting ways with Breena when he had to turn to go to his next class. He gave her a small wave and was gone.

---

Lily wished that he wasn't so surprised. That meant that he was real, and that he also had no idea what was happening here. If they were actually together, and not just in some weird dream, then how? How was this possible? He said he had been daydreaming about her, which explained why he was here, but then how did she get here as well? "I have no idea," she admitted. She realized that she also couldn't leave, no matter how hard she concentrated on waking herself up. "I thought I was the one that was dreaming, but you're every bit as conscious as I am right now. Well, I think I'm conscious, but maybe I fell asleep in class?" She wondered aloud.

"If you did, then I did, too." Brendon thought about it. "I'm in... workshop, I think. I don't know. It's hard to think about anything else when you're here. Lily... why do I feel like I know you?" And why was it easier to talk to her here, in his own mind? "Who are you?"

+++

Sabreena watched him go and smiled a little to herself, turning and heading to her own class. She arrived and sat in her seat, chewing on the end of her pen as she thought. So, there was a way for her to talk to Carter through her mind? She closed her eyes and thought, concentrating hard. 'Carter.' Would he hear her? She tried again. 'Carter!'

Carter sat in his next class, bored as could be. He felt this weird sensation in the back of his head. She's trying to talk to me... He thought. He sighed aloud, and then closed his eyes, picturing Sabreena in his mind and then letting his thoughts wander into hers. "I know what you're doing." He said to her. He knew that he wouldn't be able to hear her response, but at least he had some form of communication. The tingling sensation in his mind was Sabreena's mind trying to break through. She had the concentration part down, for sure, but she wasn't giving in to his mind like he did when he spoke to her. "You almost got it," he said. "I can tell you're trying to communicate, but I can't hear your words. You kind of have to... I don't know. It's like an out-of-body experience." If only it weren't so hard to explain...

---

Lily shook her head sadly. "I feel like I know you too, somehow." she said quietly. "But, the truth is, I have amnesia." She blushed a little, hoping he wouldn't think badly of her for her missing memories. "I can't remember anything up to when I blacked out, and I don't even know why I blacked out. I know basic stuff, like common sense and whatnot, but I can't remember people from my past. I barely even remember myself..." She sighed. "I wish I could answer that question," she replied when he asked who she was. "But I don't even know."

Brendon frowned, reaching out and placing his hand on top of hers. "Well, that's nothing to be ashamed of. Sometimes accidents happen. That explains why you told me you didn't know where you came from, in class earlier." He was thinking back to when he'd first started talking to her, earlier that day in their first class together. "We can try to find out together, if you want. I can be a small guy, sometimes." He grinned, leaning back on the sand, definitely enjoying it here more than in class.

+++

Sabreena felt, rather than heard, his words float into her mind. She had the same tingling sensation he did, now that she knew where the words were coming from. Thinking back, she'd felt it when he'd said 'Remember me?' but she'd been too freaked to think about it. She frowned to herself, trying to think her thoughts back to him. But I want to be able to talk to you! Now that you're real, I don't feel the connection like we used to have... She realized she felt sad about that.

She smiled at his attempts to comfort her. He seemed concerned. He also seemed a lot more mature than he had in class earlier today, like he'd become a completely different person. She wondered if the personality she'd met this morning was just for show... She nodded at his offer for help. "Thank you." She said with a small smile.

---

Carter could feel the tingling sensation again. It was getting stronger, which meant she was catching on. He knew she could hear him clearly like she had earlier, but when she responded all he knew was the emotion she was letting come through. She seemed upset, and he wished he knew what it was about. Something seemed wrong.

The class dragged on for what seemed like forever, and the whole period, Carter felt the tingling. He wondered if it was from her attempting mind-speak, or if it was just a lingering sensation. Finally the bell wailed and he practically bolted from the room, sprinting to the lunch room to meet up with Sabreena. He wanted to know what was upsetting her earlier.

"It's my pleasure." He pulled her hand to his lips and kissed it. He was just about to open his mouth and speak again when his fantasy was ripped from him by the sound of the bell. Nearly falling out of his seat, he threw everything of his into his bookbag and zipped it in one swift motion. He stood and fled from the class, in search for Lily.

+++

Sabreena acted much like Brendon, throwing everything into her bag at the sound of the bell. She raced to the lunchroom, not bothering to stop by her locker. She spotted Carter on the other side and ran, cutting through the tables, coming to a stop in front of him. Without thinking, she threw her arms around him, glad to be back with him. Something about him made her different-- much like when she was little.

Lily smiled. He looked like he was about to say something else, but then a screaming sound broke into the dream, shrilly waking her up. She opened her eyes and realized she was lying on the table in art class. So, it was just a dream after all? She was even more surprised that the teacher didn't scold her for sleeping through the entire lecture. Lily stood and grabbed her things, leaving the room and heading towards the cafeteria.

---

Carter was so surprised when she hugged him that he almost fell over. Luckily he didn't, and was able to regain his balance. "Woah, okay," he said, an amused look crossing his features. "Well, thanks, though I'm not sure what the hug was for?" She certainly seemed much happier to see him than when they had first met this morning, and Carter was glad it hadn't taken as long as he'd estimated to become close to her.

Brendon searched around the cafeteria, but he didn't see Lily. So he sat in a seat on the edge of the room, far away from where he normally sat. He got some strange looks, but he ignored them all, waiting for that already all too familiar face.

+++

Sabreena wasn't a mean person, but she wasn't one to get easily attached. Then again, she'd created this being in front of her, so she was very attached to him. After going years without him then him appearing suddenly again, she realized she didn't want to let him go. "You're welcome." She smiled up at him, then her expression grew serious. "Okay, teaching time. Why can I hear you, but you can't hear me?"

Lily walked into the lunchroom and saw Brendon sitting alone in a corner. He seemed oddly out of place there, as if that was a spot where he didn't normally go. However, she wove through the tables, making her way over to him. She knew now that earlier had to be a dream. She didn't want to scare him with crazy talk, so she tried her hardest to appear normal and not freaked out. "Hey," she said with a small smile, taking a seat near him at the table.

---

Carter laughed. "Always to the point with you." He said. "All business." He was joking, but then got as serious as she was, seeing her constant determination. "Well, it's a little hard to explain. Did you feel that tingling when I was talking to you earlier?"

"Lily." Brendon smiled at her, leaning over the table. "How was class?" His thoughts were along the same lines as hers; he thought everything was a dream, and since she wasn't saying anything about it, he didn't want to be the one to bring it up and sound crazy.

+++

Sabreena huffed at his comment, but it was obvious she was happy to be getting 'down to business'. "Yeah, I felt it. I heard you loud and clear. What do I have to do to make you hear me?"

Lily blushed, trying to think of a way to say what she needed to without sounding like a complete lunatic. "Oh, I kinda fell asleep." She said, trying to brush it off like it was nothing. "Just some weird dreams. Woke up when the bell rang. I'm surprised I didn't get detention!"

---

Carter smiled. "Well, this might sound weird," he started. "But you gotta... I dunno, open up to that tingling. Instead of just listening to me and trying to respond, you gotta follow that tingling... That's what links our minds. It's kind of like a portal for your voice. You gotta focus on that feeling and push through it while you speak."

"What kind of weird dreams?" Brendon caught on to what she said and stared at her, wondering if it was even possible. Weird dream would definitely be a good way to describe it, but he had a feeling it was something more. "What happened in your dreams?"

+++

"Makes sense." Sabreena showed some doubt on her face, but she thought she understood what he meant. "It's gonna take practice, I guess, but that's with anything." She sighed, sinking down into a chair. "I don't know if I can do it."

"Oh, um, well I was on a beach," she said, treading carefully with her words. "You were there, too." She hoped she didn't sound like a stalker. Her cheeks reddened. "I mean, it was probably only because you were the last person I talked to before I fell asleep..."

---

Carter nudged her playfully with his shoulder. "If anyone can do it, it's you." He said. "We used to do it all the time before-" he stopped, not wanting to say what he almost did. "... Back when you were little." He smiled.

"No." Brendon shook his head. "No, no, no. I had the exact same dream." He reached out and touched her face. "And I touched your face like this. There's no way it was a dream if we both had the exact same one." But then, what was it?

+++

"Before what?" Sabreena looked up at him, genuinely curious about where he'd been going with his sentence before he stopped. "Before I stopped thinking about you?"

Lily blushed. "That's crazy. I was asleep and so were you. Even if we had the same dream, it must be coincidence. What else would it have been?" She remembered all too well what he'd done and said in the dream, but the Brendon she'd met this morning wasn't the same as the one in her dream. They seemed different. Well, until now. Now that he was claiming it was more than a dream, he seemed... Different. He wasn't the same lazy, bored guy she'd met earlier. He seemed terribly interested in her now. She liked it. "I don't know what else it could have been." She said, a sad frown appearing.

---

"Yeah." He replied simply. It pained him to think about it, and it hurt more since he already knew she didn't need him anymore. She'd confessed that herself earlier. She'd grown up. She no longer needed his friendship. She let him fade into the back of her mind, and that's why he left there. He woke up as a real human, and decided if she didn't need him, he surely didn't need her...

But he did need her; he hated to admit it. Somehow, she'd given him real life by casting him aside, and he felt as if he owed her. And, even worse to admit, she would always be his best friend, even if he wasn't hers. And even if she still said she didn't need him around.

Shaking his head, he shooed the thoughts away. Pensiveness like that would only bring him down, and right now he needed to focus on helping her. She wanted to learn and he would teach her. "It's nothing," he added, mostly to reassure himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back