I'm nervous...

Neon Tiger

Hello.

I've had an interest in RP since I learnt about it in MMORPGs, but I never really got into it, mostly because my disability prevented me from typing fast enough, and if I'm completely honest, I felt a bit embarrassed about RPing, too. However, I do feel like it's something I could enjoy, so I've come here in an attempt to get started.

Being a complete newbie, I'm worried I'll just be wasting other people's time, so I would really appreciate some direction. I also worry that I don't really know enough about anything to write interesting stories. On the rare occasions I have done some creative writing, I've always enjoyed writing dialogue, which may not be the most suitable style for forum RP, and I'm often thinking about how characters would react in situations.

Another concern of mine is that because it takes me so long to write anything, I often get to a point where I think, "yeah, that'll do." Probably not the best attitude to have!

I don't know where I'm going with all this. If you've put up with me this far, thank you. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have about me.

Welcome to RPN!! I am the Mechanist! The hero of the commonwealth and of RPN!! There are Tons of RP's to join, and even more people to RP with, myself included ^D^ We've got all kinds ranging from modern to medieval to futuristic. I myself am prone to fantasy, medieval or futuristic rp's, and I am a sucker for romance and a good love story. Trust me when I say we almost have it all!! Feel free to help yourself to the cookies and punch at the table.

Welcome fren, from the local otter enthusiast!
Hopefully you find everything you're looking for! I myself can usually be found lurking around the fantasy forums, general chat areas, and more recently the discord chat :3 feel free to come say hi any time, whether it be a need for someone to RP with or just a general chat ^D^ Any questions, feel free to ask!

Hello Neon Tiger Neon Tiger and welcome to RPNation. Don't be too nervous, this is a site about having fun roleplays, not to cause anyone any stress.

Now then, I generally always recommend new members review the FAQ since many common questions from new members are answered there. Don't focus so much on what you think will or will not be interesting, focus on what you like and perhaps you might find another member who finds it interesting as well. You can always write what is known here as an "interest check" that goes over things like your preferences, limitations, interests and so on. You can easily find the interest checks of others in the Look for Players Forum. Looking at the interest checks of others if a good way to see what you might want to include in your own. Or, you might even find something there that catches your eye and that you would like to RP.

If you are concerned about taking a long while to reply, just let any potential RP partners know. There are quite a few understanding members here in our community.

Pssh. The only place you need typing speed are the forum games, where you have to make sure people don't practice ninjutsu. Other than that, you could hours to type and no one would mind.
If you'd be fine with it, I'd love to see your creative writing. That'd be cool.

Anywho, I'm Sano, self-proclaimed lord of forum games. If you want to find me, there I be. If you want to avoid me, don't go on their, I guess.

Thank you all for the welcomes. My confidence has been growing slightly the more I read here, and I've even begun to come up with a character.

Hall Kervean Hall Kervean I've found my most recent work, (from 4 years ago) I had completely forgotten I wrote this. It is literally just a bit of dialogue between two characters. I still laughed re-reading it!

“Care to explain this, Private?”
“Of course, sir. That is a holo of the large hole in a wall I just made with the assistance of Private Jenkins.”
“By blasting him through it with that damn TK of yours! What’s your excuse for this?”
“He insinuated that my mother ‘dallies with the Draken.’ As I am an orphan, I wanted to correct him on his error.”
“By blasting him through a bloody wall? Do you not think, boy?”
“It was the wall to the infirmary, sir. Jenkins received immediate medical attention.”
“Argh! You are too much of a wildcard to serve in the greater Dominion army, but you are too powerful to be left unsupervised. I have authorisation to transfer you to the Errant Unit.”
“What!? Are you saying that group of unwashed malcontents actually exist?”
“Oh, indeed so. The higher-ups maintain the Unit’s hush-hush existence, whilst simultaneously spreading the rumours that keep most rebellious soldiers in check, lest they be discarded there, losing any chanced of attaining glory.”
“I do like glory… Had I half-believed the Unit was real, I would have behaved myself.”
“Is that so, Private?”
“No, sir. Not really.”
“I thought as much. And they aren’t all ‘unwashed malcontents’ there. There are some genuinely good, decent and loyal servants of the Dominion.”
“Please, sir, don’t question my loyalty. Have I ever disobeyed a direct order?”
“Very sly of you to say ‘direct’ orders. However, no. For all your faults, that is one thing you haven’t done, and that is precisely why this is a transfer, not a discharge. Gather your things, you have one hour until transport. Dismissed.”

That's pretty good.
It caught my interest even more because Jenkins is a private in the Halo: Combat Evolved Flood reveal scene.
But it's pretty good that you were able to explain the circumstances, the setting, some backstory, introduce characters, and keep events moving in an interesting way without doing anything but having them speak in a somewhat natural way. Sano-approved.

My master bids you welcome, traveler from beyond. We arrived a long while ago upon these shores, and were greeted with a fantastic land called RPNation. My master, Mersoth the great, has given me the position of greeting newcomers and introductions. May you come to a safe journey's end. Grubish, goblin chief and second hand of Mersoth the powerful.

Hey - there is nothing to be nervous about. You gotta start somewhere, huh? And the people will be supportive too as long as you follow the rules and have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back