I'm a bad Roleplayer and i can't write good story !

<p>

Hello guys. If today i ask for help,it's because i find myself pretty bad at roleplaying any characters.I try the Heroes,neutral,evil characters guys but each of them get reject by the others,like they ignore me or worse,i discover that my characters plot and personality doesn't make any sense... I did try to make 4 Rp by myself,but no one of them get any CS sheet back,i can say that my Self-Esteem have never be that low :/ ... So if anybody could help me about the creation of a good character and upgrading my roleplay post,and how to write a story that people could like,i'm up for any tips or even tutorial,thanks for taking the time of reading that.

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not quite sure if the problem really is with your plots or your character sheets, since you didn't really give any examples :P

But from what I can read here, there are quite a few grammatical errors in your English so that might be the problem

Grammatical is one of the problem too unfortunately,typing on a phone and also not and English guys.

NickTonCutter said:
Grammatical is one of the problem too unfortunately,typing on a phone and also not and English guys.
Fortunately, there are a lot of resources out there to help! I personally like Grammarly. It comes with a free extension, which is pretty cool, and you don't need to bother buying the full version.

Here are a bunch of tutorials written by helpful people on the site that cover everything from plot to characterization. It's a good place to start.

The best advice I can give you about getting better at writing characters and plots is simply not to give up. The only way to get better is practice and patience. Don't worry - everyone gets down on themselves sometimes. Being critical of yourself is a good thing; it means you care about what you're doing and you're willing to get better at it.

Right now, I would avoid starting any roleplays and focus on joining them. If you're having trouble creating characters, there're a few things you can do. You could observe people in real life and take notes on how they talk and behave. You can also read books or watch television and observe your favorite characters, then try to dissect their character and figure out what makes them appealing to you. You can do something similar with plots and settings: it's all about observation.

If your character's backstory isn't making any sense, I suggest you read the roleplay's summary carefully. Take extra care that your character fits within the context of the setting. It may help to not think of characters in terms like "good" and "evil." In real life, people are much more complex than that. Realize that your character doesn't have to be confined to purely good, evil, or neutral actions.

Grammarly[/URL]. It comes with a free extension, which is pretty cool, and you don't need to bother buying the full version.
Here are a bunch of tutorials written by helpful people on the site that cover everything from plot to characterization. It's a good place to start.

The best advice I can give you about getting better at writing characters and plots is simply not to give up. The only way to get better is practice and patience. Don't worry - everyone gets down on themselves sometimes. Being critical of yourself is a good thing; it means you care about what you're doing and you're willing to get better at it.

Right now, I would avoid starting any roleplays and focus on joining them. If you're having trouble creating characters, there're a few things you can do. You could observe people in real life and take notes on how they talk and behave. You can also read books or watch television and observe your favorite characters, then try to dissect their character and figure out what makes them appealing to you. You can do something similar with plots and settings: it's all about observation.

If your character's backstory isn't making any sense, I suggest you read the roleplay's summary carefully. Take extra care that your character fits within the context of the setting. It may help to not think of characters in terms like "good" and "evil." In real life, people are much more complex than that. Realize that your character doesn't have to be confined to purely good, evil, or neutral actions.
Thank you really much for those kind word...I'm gonna check the tutorial link then!

I wouldn't be afraid due to the lack of responses to your threads. Sure, it is a really demotivating thing, though a lot of interest checks work by waves and by what's "shinier". Either the presentation of your thread is such that it entices people or you happen to hit whatever is in season. These aside, most threads struggle to really get attention (most of the time), unless you already made a name for yourself around, which given what you said, would be kind of impossible as you practically just joined.

As for what makes sense or not, I urge that you remember that roleplays don't have to be 100% realistic to make sense. There IS something called "suspension of disbelief" which is the part where everyone agrees to just roll with it, usually consisting on the premise of the plot and the key setting differences.

All considered, though, it's an excellent thing that you wish to improve yourself and your skills. I will avoid being repetitive here and instead of guiding you to tutorials, I will suggest you research on the various aspects of roleplaying and writing.

One Thing that really helped me learn the things I know today was the "writing excuses" podcast. It will take time and they are not always direct about what they want to convey, but I assure you it's a great listen and it will defintely help you grasp new concepts and improve your writing. I can't link it right now, but it should be a couple seconds in Google to find the site. (They're free so no worries)

You can also find tutoring if you wish. Though, I think the project itself was discontinued @nerdyfangirl had set up a tutoring thread where people could sign up to tutor others or to be tutored. I myself signed up as a tutor at the time.

Hope this was useful, and if you have any questions you'd like to ask, don't hesitate to! ;)

There's always something for everyone. Try starting out in an area better suited to your level of experience. If you feel like you're less detailed and still working out writing kinks, go for SIMPLE RPs, which are often more willing/flexible with newer writers. Start with a 1x1 - Group RPs can be extremely intimidating, and even in simple settings can be a little picky about character choices. A 1x1 leaves room for growth, but allows you to work at a slower pace, paying more attention to what you're writing. As you work in these RPs, work to improve your writing. Endeavor to make each post a little better, grammatically - lengthen your posts with details and descriptions that matter to the scene at hand (rather than just adding filler for the word count). When you're feeling more confident, move on to a group RP in the simple area.

As for characters - don't worry so much about creating the hero or the villain... worry about creating someone that people WANT to read about. Someone who is interesting, but flawed. Someone that has a sense of realism about them, but still brings something to the table to make them clever and creative. Don't fret over cliches - most people don't even understand what MAKES a cliche and they'll just use buzzwords to sound smart or knowledgeable. All things are cliche and all cliches can be well written enough that no one recognizes them for what they are. Just write what you're comfortable with and it will show a level of understanding that offers other players a sense that you know what you're doing.

Don't try too hard to be impressive... There's nothing more obvious and distasteful than someone who goes straight to the thesaurus for the biggest word they can find, or someone who pads a post with 500 words about their character's wardrobe, just to make the post look longer. What appeals to people, generally, is setting a scene the evokes an emotional response. Whether your character is brushing their teeth, or saving the world. Involve the reader... make them -feel- what is happening in the scene and don't be afraid to get gritty. Don't 'flower' up your replies with fancy words or metaphors.

Also - look into doing writing exercises. You can find them all over the internet. They are basically writing prompts, which help to encourage you to build on your writing skills. Eventually, when you feel like you've improved, move up to a casual roleplay (again, starting out in a 1x1 is a good idea, just to get a grasp for the change in post length/quality of writing). Work on those for a good while, and when you start to notice compliments about your writing coming your way, or you feel like your posts a getting longer and more detailed, holding a stronger character base and development, try a casual group. And over time, you'll find yourself ready for a more detailed RP. Just be aware, detailed varies on the site, but it can be a pretty elitist community - Friends of mine, who write absolutely beautifully and have some of the most intriguing characters I've seen yet, have been denied in detailed RPs simply because it can be a very 'cliquey' group of people who only like to RP with folks they know or are comfortable with. Don't let this discourage you - just keep working at it and you'll find what works for you.

As for RP creation, my suggestion would be to wait until you're comfortable, at least at a casual level. Then make a simple RP... This ensures you'll be slightly above average in the simple category and that will attract those people looking for a change. Don't be afraid to tag people you think might enjoy the RP - people you're friends with on the site, people you admire as writers. They might decline, but putting the offer out there opens the door for people to start looking at you as a writer. One cannot teach what one doesn't know and if you jump right into trying to make RPs when no one knows you or sees your potential, they aren't going to feel inclined to join.

And most importantly, have confidence. You'll grow. Everyone does. I've been RPing for roughly 19 years (I'm old, yes xD ) -- I started out in a simple drop-in on WBS... a streaming chat site where the longest post couldn't be more than 200 words. My first character was an atrocious mess of tropes, but because I gave it my all, I found people to write with and eventually, I grew... learning from them how to better my writing and make more interesting characters. I now write primarily detailed posts and at current I'm running three RPs - one of which is a massive world building project. On this site, I've run roughly 20-25 group RPs and I'm in numerous 1x1s. It took time and a lot of hard work, but you can get there if you're willing to put in the effort :)

Best of luck!!

@Elle Joyner

I'm not confident at all which mean i doesn't have the courage to tag people along...I'm also starting to worry about myself since i will reach 2000 post soon,and i didn't feel like i was better at RPing from the beginning.The first problem with myself is my self esteem,i focus on it too much and always ask myself while posting "He will cringe at me?I bored him???He doesn't like me?" i'm focusing on forgetting that part of me and your tutorial now,with the help of you guys,i maybe have a hope for the future about Rping thank you really much...Maybe one day i could make a popular RP....

:) Confidence doesn't grow overnight. It's something that needs to be fed and watered. You need to trust yourself and your ability to grow because, frankly, you're a human being and that's what human beings are capable of doing. If you wanna grow, the first step is believing you can... and guess what? You absolutely can believe that. Anyone can. Remember though - 2000 posts sounds like a lot, but you joined a little over a month ago. That's roughly sixty-six posts a day. That essentially the equivalent of driving 30 miles over the speed limit... and saying "but I got to work early". It's important to remember quality... over quantity.

It's hard to build self esteem with writing - but the number one thing you need to remember is that everyone starts somewhere and most people... they feel the same way you do. So if they're sitting there thinking "Will he cringe at me? Do I bore him? Does he like me?" and you're thinking the same thing... then neither of you is judging the other person the way you think you are at all. We spend our whole lives assuming people are judging us, when in truth they're just worrying about judgment the same as you.

Take your time... get to know your writing and get to know yourself, instead of looking at your faults. Maybe there's a reason that progress starts with pro... because instead of searching for all the cons about your writing, you need to discover those things that you're good at. Focus on changing the rest, certainly... but if you can build confidence around your strengths, instead of building self-deprecation around the weaknesses, you'll find a way to alter your perceptions.

And let me tell you - I will take a confident writer who maybe still have growing to do... over someone who has confidence issues and doesn't believe in their writing any day of the week. My RPs aren't about having the BEST writers... they're about having writers who trust their instincts and aren't afraid to plot, to plan and to grow.

As I was summoned, I'll add my two cents in. A good thing I found that helped was finding a specific more experienced role player and letting them walk me through the worst of my issues. As was suggested I'd start with the 1x1 section and just put in your post your looking for someone to help you improve.

Also another thing to do is focus on a specific issue. So for instance if you want to improve your grammar specificaLily focus on that for a time until you start noticing some improvement then move onto another thing. Like making better characters or the like.

Don't try to fix everything at once - you'll just get overwhelmed.

As for doubting yourself. Remember we all start out in the same place. I am an English speaker and my first posts were still short oneliners with atrocious grammar.

So don't think of everyone else as so much better than you - we all start out in the same place and we all have those things we need to improve. English speakers, first timers, and veterans alike.

When you start getting anxious. Try taking a deep breathe and maybe step back for a few minutes.

Ask yourself : what can I do right now to make this post better? If you can't think of something try asking your partner. Say I want to make this post more interesting or I don't know what to say in response to your post.

This is a very helpful community and chances are your partner will have some tips for you.

I'd suggest getting to know the other person you're talking with, whether in be in the plotting stages. Simple questions about events in their life, what they like, maybe even if they have anxiety related issues that can be smoothed out ahead of time. Communication is everything, you can't grow without that simple push, with that very simple word.

As said by quite a bit of people, focus more on the quality if you can, if not, tell your partner that you might be having an off day because of your self-esteem. A lot of people are understanding and caring on this site, and a lot of people I've met have been willing to sit and talk for lengths of time over problems instead of the RP. I'll admit, self-esteem, anxiety and depression rule my life and push comes to shove, I land on my ass a lot in that regard.

As quite a number of the people above me have stated, take things slowly, figure out the strengths you have and the weaknesses that fester below the skin, work with your partner to figure out how to work around that. Once you've done that, just try to improve with every post, whether it being spelling errors or even just simple things like an out of place "I". Past that, find people that you can relate with, the ones that make you feel special if possible. Confidence with your partner is basically everything besides communication, because if you can't be confident with your partner, your partner can't be confident with you and the RP will become nothing but fluff and filler.

If any of this has helped so far... I have one last thing to suggest... games, books, or even watching a show. Ask about, see if your partner has the same interests in TV, books or even genres of games or music. Once you figure that out, you can incorporate that into the RP, or possibly even just hang out with your partner in a game. Trust me when I say, just talking with others, or playing with others really and I mean really helps me get to know them. Games and talk over what you love give you that feeling of happiness, because of all the wonderful (sometimes salty) moments you've gotten out of it, and lets you ease up and get better because you're not nearly as anxious as you were before.

Sorry if I seem redundant and unhelpful, I haven't slept in awhile and should probably review this later...

@NickTonCutter

And we're not saying that you need to get over low self esteem. We're saying that literally everyone has anxieties and low self esteem about something.

I have been role playing for ten years. and I still sometimes have trouble working out the kinks in a plot or keeping a post interesting.

That's not something that is just for beginners everyone has it. But the thing I've learned is sometimes it's okay just to let people know you need a hand. I mostly do 1x1s so if I'm having trouble I'll just tell my partner and we'll work it out between us.

so all everyone is saying is hang in there and don't be afraid to ask your partner for help.

NickTonCutter said:
Well low self esteem is something i cannot change,i was born with that....
Actually, I am going to disagree here with you. Self esteem issues can be disabling, sure. But they aren't a disability. It's a mental outlook that everyone is capable of overcoming. I'm not saying you're the type, but a lot of people use their issues with low self esteem as an excuse not to change or even as a means of begging for attention. But it's something anyone can get through with work. You have to want to do the work...

I'm not the guys who seek for attention,the problem is actually i cannot not care about my self esteem,i did try a long time ago without sucess to overwhelm that

NickTonCutter said:
I'm not the guys who seek for attention,the problem is actually i cannot not care about my self esteem,i did try a long time ago without sucess to overwhelm that
It's more about finding things to focus on that are positive. Reinforce the good, to avoid dwelling on the negative. You can't make yourself stop feeling anxiety over your flaws, but you can fight the urge to pick yourself apart by finding good things to think about instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back