• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic ıllıllı PANDOSIA FELL ıllıllı

dim

cupid hit me with precision

ıllıllı PANDOSIA FELL ıllıllı

85778c33f54e2a88a85d50cb60b5a61e.jpg

In the golden floating city of Pandosia, the low hum of churning machinery never ceases. Technology is ubiquitous, ingrained, a way of life- society would be unable to function without its solid foundation of metal and wires buried deep in the earth under its feet.

Early in the morning, there is a tremor. A shock wave runs throughout Pandosia. There is a whine, then a groan, and systems across the board are faltering, back-ups of back-ups of back-ups activating each in turn, transferring the fragile, pulsating life of Pandosia from one colossal standby generator to the next. It seems that, for a moment in history, the whole universe holds its breath, like a jolt of electricity slowed down to an agonising standstill, all systems halting-

and then, in time with the tune of the exhausted sigh of the final failsafe,
Pandosia fell.

But only for a heartbeat- it was a quiver, a stutter, as though the man-made, industrial utopia was crying out for help. Across the world, from the deepest trenches to the peak of the divine Royal Palace, the story of Pandosia’s falter spread like untamed wildfire.

A ghostly virus has infiltrated the mainframe of Pandosia and is causing major internal damages, disruptions and upheaval. No-one knows where the virus came from or what exactly it is doing, as that information is held close to the hearts of the most elite governmental inner circles. Despite this, most people still believe that the virus infected the central Pandosian system after the fall. The two phenomena are intimately linked in some way- this, the people can be certain of.

Last edited by a moderator:

.:ıllıllı --| PANDOSIA FELL |-- ıllıllı:.

steampunk-city-art.jpeg

Daily life in Central Pandosia was, for most, a monotonous, drawn-out affair.

For Valerius, this sentiment rang true- even for him, mechanical as he was. Life - or lack thereof - never had a distinct beginning or end for him- he never slept, after all, and remained awake at all hours of every day, of every month, of every year. Sure, he could power down to simulate the physical effects of sleep, but if his dear human saviour could work with complex machinery on such minuscule increments of sleep, then Valerius could surely manage with his perpetual sleeplessness. Aimery was a creature of habit, endlessly toiling through the dead of night; Valerius had yet to understand what habits truly were.

Even still, there were always errands to be run during the day, and that was what introduced monotony to Valerius’ existence. At first, exploring the innermost workings of the city with his new mind was like knowing what it felt like to live; exhilarating, always something he had never seen before at every turn. This wonder gradually faded over time, leaving Valerius not jaded, but accustomed to the ways of Central Pandosia. It was a bustling district, even at such ungodly hours of the day; a crossroads of sorts for Pandosia that bridged the Lower and Upper districts of the city in the clouds. Central was full of business people, travellers from distant lands, and errand-runners just like Valerius, setting about on their tasks, paying no mind to the others around them.

On that particular day, it was early in the hours of the morning when Valerius decided he should depart. Aimery had passed out an hour ago, slumped over his workbench with his tools splayed out across the wooden tabletop. Valerius paid him no mind, descending down the stairs to the ground floor of
Bamford Bionics and exiting out through the store’s front door, ensuring it was locked behind him- thievery was running rampant as of late, and a store full of expensive technology left unlocked would be like an invitation to ransack.

It was time for a delivery of augments and a restocking of pills for Aimery, all available at one locale- the Central Hospital. The weather was bitingly overcast, making it easier for Valerius to hide his inhuman appearance under a thick coat and a pair of white silk gloves, sparing him the vitriolic glances throughout his walk to the doctor’s. On his way to the infirmary, he stopped past a printery with racks of recent newspapers set out the front of the store, glancing over the boisterous headlines. Of course, they were all about one subject, and one subject only- the faltering of Pandosia; that fateful day, just a few weeks ago, when millions of people’s lives hung dangerously in the balance.

‘PANDOSIA FELL: CAUSING WIDESPREAD PANIC IN THE EMPIRE’

‘PANDOSIA: GOLDEN UTOPIA OR MASS GRAVE?’

‘GHOST VIRUS INFECTING PANDOSIA’S SYSTEMS - WHEN WILL THE MAYOR ANSWER OUR CRIES?’

The last headline particularly caught his attention. Valerius had certainly heard whispers of a malicious virus having caused the fall of Pandosia, but was quick to dismiss it as another suspicious conspiracy. How could a virus, ghostly or no, possibly infiltrate the millions of safeguards and bypass the constant maintenance checks run on Pandosia’s core systems? It sounded utterly ludicrous but, strangely, became more and more believable as the government’s silence on the matter stretched from one day to the next.

When Valerius finally arrived at the looming building in the city centre, it was teeming with activity, full to the brim with a swarm of sickly human patients. The hospital was so full, there were even some patients left outside on the road with all manner of injuries and illnesses, bathing in the soft dawn sunlight.

With a grim expression, Valerius made his way inside the infirmary, unsurprised to find it just as packed inside as it was outside. Nurses, most visibly robotic, scurried about tending to the patients in the beds lining the vast room, whilst a few doctors, wearing stern white coats, oversaw all operations. Many of the patients in the medical beds were augmented with bionics, some with damaged robotic prosthetics, others suffering with severe infections from back-alley jobs gone terribly wrong.

Valerius, briefcase gripped tightly in hand, glanced around the raucous room, trying to find the man he needed to do business with. He didn’t want to remain there any longer than he needed to be- some of the android nurses had already picked up on his robotic nature and were hovering around him, monitoring him closely.

Ray didn't notice the arrival of a stranger at first -- the opening of the door was a common sound and their hand was being grasped tightly by a swiftly fading old man, their gaze meeting with his intently. The words stumbling their way out of his mouth were unsteady, sometimes mere syllables they struggled to piece together cohesively, but they could be his last, and they would stand with him. They were fairly certain he wasn't going to die within the hour, at least, but that's all they could guarantee. Eventually, his words faded and he went out cold. They extricated their hand carefully from his and administered his prescribed medication swiftly.

They felt a string of sorrow unwind itself from their heart; they were certain now he would die within 24 hours.

He had been there for longer than most, a sort of bittersweet thing that confused Ray. The old man was a wonderful storyteller -- they could almost
see the scenes he painted -- and he was full of stories to use his talent on. His company would be missed. But on the other hand, it would have been better for him if he hadn't ever gone to the hospital, right? They tried not to think too much on such complex emotions; it would only make them long for the deeper understanding that could only be gained with years of experience, and though they had been sentient for years, experience was short in supply when it came to a ward for the dead.

They sighed and moved on to the next patient, who was completely incapacitated for the time being. They quickly and expertly did their duties, clean dose examine, and then looked up to move onto their next patient. It was then that they saw Valerious, who was clearly looking for someone and clearly not belonging. The other nurses weren't being very helpful, either, and they usually liked Ray to deal with others, anyway, due to their more humanoid appearance and therefore warmer reception.

"Can I help you, sir?" Ray's voice was monotone, a bit cold, not as warm as what they used on they patients; it wasn't a difference they consciously made, though it was in line with how they consciously presented themself.

They figured the other android needed something from a doctor, but they were always too busy to deal with people wandering in. Or maybe it was a simple medicine? For who, for what? They found their mind wandering on the possibilities, as it often did.

<p><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';">Valerius almost didn’t realise when he was being addressed by one of the android nurses, as caught up in the frantic early morning bustle of the Central Hospital as he was. He saw at least three sickly patients die in the few minutes he lingered beside the entrance of the infirmary, their beds being wheeled off to rooms out-of-sight, presumably to be cremated, as was the custom of the hospitals in Central and the Province. Plague and disease couldn’t be risked by having sickly dead bodies remain in such a burdened place for so long- it could very well mean the death of every other human patient in the hospital. Val didn’t know how their families would be notified, or if they even had families at all; would any of them be missed by anyone when they were nothing more than mere ashes, faceless and unknown?</span></p>

<p><span style="font-family:'Times New Roman';">

With these thoughts running through Val’s processor, it was understandable when it took him a moment to notice the nurse sent to tend to him. Composing himself, he turned to face them with a courteous nod, giving them a once-over- he vaguely recognised the android from his prior early visits to the infirmary.</span></p>

“Good morning- Ray, is it? Indeed, I could use your help. Is Doctor McCarthy in today?” Val lifted the briefcase to draw Ray's attention to it. He disregarded their cold, uninterested tone; Val’d had extensive interactions with unfeeling AIs, and dull speaking patterns were by no means unnatural.</span></p>

“I have his weekly delivery of human augmentations. I have also come to collect a prescription for Mister Bamford- it’s some assortment of pills.” Val glanced around the room briefly, towards the doors leading to the operation rooms at the back. “I don’t mind waiting if the Doctor is busy.”</span></p>

Val was usually always on time to catch the eccentric doctor for their weekly trading of goods, but McCarthy was definitely in-demand as a surgeon in the facility, and rarely had a slow moment. Val could usually kill some time conversing with the nurses or observing some of the patients, with their fascinating ailments and augmentations; he wondered briefly what it was like to be a medical android, and have such a vast lexicon of knowledge on human diseases and injuries.</span></p>

Ray was at first somewhat surprised he recognized them, but remembered after a moment's sifting through their memory he came somewhat regularly with augmentations and for pills. He must work for a mechanic -- perhaps that's who the "Mister Banford" he often referred to was. They felt a twinge of envy for android like him, who were sent out to on arounds and such, able to see the city for themselves. It must be amazing. They marveled at the concept of that being just 'normal', monotonous to someone.

For now, though, they had to concentrate. Dr. McCarthy must be in; he was in constant demand at the hospital and it was his hours. They weren't aware of his exact location, however, and he was likely in a surgery. They had seen much of the aftermath of his work, and it was clearly the work of the best at the hospital every time. His patients were often the easiest to take care of. Though it was not an uncommon occurrence now, they still found augmentations fascinating.

"I'm fairly certain he is in, though I'm unaware of exactly where and what he's doing." They didn't keep tabs on his schedule, or any other doctors, for that matter; they concentrated their energies on their patients. "I can bring you to his office, though. He may be there, or I could simply drop off the augmentations and see if he has the prescription set aside."

They weren't precisely certain of Dr. McCarthy's policies on drop-offs and pick-ups, and it would be performing slightly outside their duties, but they believed that would be in line. He... fairly unpredictable, however. They tried to cast away the thought; they were overprocessing it, getting anxious about nothing. Keeping their voice monotone -- maybe even drier, in the efforts -- they added, "His policies may be different, though. It may be best to just wait." for good measure.

Idly, Valerius tugged at his tie, suddenly feeling a though it was pulled just a little too tight around his neck- he couldn’t really tell, but he had an odd sense that being in the bustling, clamorous hospital was inducing something in him akin to nervousness. Anxiety, or anything of the sort, wasn’t a common experience for Val - androids who knew so little about the horrors of the greater world shouldn’t have much cause for fear - but there was just something about the infirmary that worried away at him. He couldn’t tell if it was the disturbing sight of so many humans horribly butchered for augmentations that barely even fit, or if it was the perpetual fear that he would be recognised for being Aberrant and dragged back to be destroyed, useless scrap metal left to rust in the streets.

That was a fear, he supposed, that all feeling, thinking AIs had to live with. He hurriedly turned his attention back to Ray, a smooth transition.

“No can do, Ray. I have to deliver this to the Doctor directly, to be...
certain that he receives it. I’ll wait- if he isn’t here in fifteen minutes, I shall return this time next week. We are busy people, after all, and we are cautious people.” Val’s expression became more solemn, his brows knitting together, as though to stress his point.

“Technology like this could run far in the wrong hands. There are many,
many thieves in this neighbourhood who would very gleefully kill for this very case I am currently holding- we’re talking thousands, possibly millions of dollars, pawned off of unwitting human fools in dangerous back-alley augmentations. Forgive me if I take my deliveries very seriously.” The lines on Val’s face smoothed in an instant as he smiled playfully, taking the edge off of his serious words. "Further to the point, surely, you should know of the dealings of your own head doctors? He buys from all of the local mechanics. Not sure why he doesn’t buy into the corporate, machine-made nonsense- but, more power to him. In the very least, he could afford to tend to his deliveries on time.”

Val tipped his head to the side slightly, pondering over the nurse before him. They seemed bland enough; they answered all of his questions as expected, their voice had remained consistently monotone all throughout, and even their stony countenance had hardly changed at all. Val was certain they had capacity for facial emotions- how else would they be able to deal with grieving, sentimental humans for a living? And yet, despite all this, Val felt like there was more to this particular android. He always enjoyed talking with insentient AIs, like a bizarre, out-of-body experience in which he was talking to his former self, a metallic copy of every other AI in existence. Val could hardly remember what his personality - or lack thereof - was like before he became Aberrant, but conversing with these AIs gave him some kind of a perspective on what he may have been like, and it unsettled him.

“Indulge me- evidently, I have some spare time to waste now. Have you ever been beyond the infirmary, good nurse? Do you know anything of what happens out there, in the big city? How were you when Pandosia’s systems failed for a moment, just a few weeks prior?“

“I rarely deal directly with the doctors… I mostly care for the patients, and sometimes visitors. I rarely leave even my section of the hospital.” Thinking on it, Ray barely even knew the majority of their own world, the hospital. They focused only on the patients. “Doctor McCarthy likely got held up in a surgery, or had more work than he expected.” They began to continue and explain the self evident fact of their constant state of being overloaded with patients, but noticed the way Val was looking at them thoughtfully,.

Ray froze; they could sense they were being analyzed. They wondered what he was looking for and what he saw – why he thought he would see anything. They had been careful to stay in control, blank and empty-seeming; though being sentient wasn’t itself a crime, being labeled as Aberrant was something they dared to not even think on for too long, and being seen as insentient would make them look more inconspicuous. They didn’t mind blending in. Or maybe, hopefully, it was simply the gaze of a sentient android pondering insentient androids, not personal. Their time as insentient was a blur, made up of patterns and routines; the only distinct memories were the stories that eventually gave them life. They remembered when they became aware, the first time they grieved for somebody, the first time they felt joy and sadness and fear and rage through a patient’s story.

They were startled out of their daze by his questions. They weren’t malevolent, and evidently just to pass the time, but it unsettled some part of Ray. Had he seen something odd in them? Maybe, in their daze, they had made some kind of odd expression, or… something. They tried to shove the feeling away and grasped for the way to phrase their answers.

First, the system failure caught their attention – Ray remembered it well. They had been bustling from patient to patient then. Specifically, they had been checking the readings on a patient’s machine when the tremor happened. That itself was enough to send the ward into chaos, as carefully organized medicines, fragile medical apparatus, and weak patients were jolted. The systems failure was a nightmare, proving fatal to at least dozens of patients, near fatal to even more. The worst, however, was the drop. Ray knew that Pandosia was in the sky, not actually supported by ground or anything besides itself, but it had never really… clicked. But then, in that second, it did. The possibility of them falling, the emptiness of the sky… they could only imagine, but the fall had given their imagination some room.

They remembered, after a second, that they were to respond. “I…” Their voice quivered strangely at first, and they took a second to return to their monotone, composed state. “I have not left the ward. My duties lie here. I know only what I’ve been told by the patients.” They phrased their response to his last question carefully. “It was a tragedy, and many patients died… We can only hope that the problem’s been fixed now.”

The crisp early morning air rouses Ellis from his sleep, the light from outside seeping through his ragged curtains and into the vigilante’s hazy eyes. Hesitating slightly, he pushes himself out of bed and sweeps his heavily tousled hair out of his face. The heat from the bakery below his small apartment warms his feet to an almost uncomfortable degree, quickly motivating the thief to prepare for the day even though the sun was just now creeping over the horizon. Pulling his shoes and coat on, Ellis perches his silver frames on his nose as he exits his home, adjusting his jacket habitually. He strolls down the bustling street for some time, not minding the occasional accidental bump on the shoulder from a stranger.

The young man walks for nearly half an hour before stopping at an unfamiliar bionics shop, and from a quick glance through the dark windows he deduces it a prime target for a quick visit. As though he was just an employee, Ellis smiles at a passerby as he swiftly pulls a pin from his long hair and jams it into the keyhole. His already coy smirk widens when he finds the hasp surprisingly loose (after all, it was rare to find a bionics peddler unfamiliar with locks). Swinging the door open in one quick motion, careful not to rouse anyone still asleep next door, the thief enters the store, pulling the blinds down over the windows in his ritual fashion. Ellis’ hand unzips his backpack’s hidden pocket as his eyes survey the shelves, but his ostentatious nature gets ahead of him when his usually nimble feet find a stray box on the floor. His lanky body tumbles forward, knocking him into a shelf. The young man winces as the sound echoes through the building, mentally scolding himself as he rubs the now bruise on his chest.

The smell of shit and piss of the slums entered Ilyich's nostrils as he tried to drag himself off the cobble stone alleyway whilst blood slowly dripped from his nose and bruised knuckles. To the right of the detective was a bloodied street ruffian attempting to reach for his gun which served more so as a deterrent of violence rather than an actual weapon as the ivory handle was much less comfortable than a leather one and it's stylish outdated design made shooting it a nightmare, however the same stylish design and ivory handle made it noticeable and rather intimidating. Sadly the ruffian noticed said gun before it's owner as to ilyich eyes leading him to his current situation. Ilyich sighed as he rolled over to his right and on top of the street ruffian then promptly wrapped his left arm around his assailants neck. The ruffian grunted and groaned beneath him though his protests were drowned out by the sound of carriages and the bustle of the slums. In desperation the ruffian doubled it's efforts to reach for the detectives gun fortunately for Ilyich and unfortunately for the ruffian a member of the pandosian peacekeeping force stumbled upon the two and sorted out the rest.

Ilyich left the scene quite unhappy as his search for a lead on how the current crisis came to be ended with a dislocated elbow and a bruise to both his ego and his body. Unfortunately the day had just begun for him as the long process of filling out reports and paperwork laid ahead of him. As he headed towards his office he noted on the poor state of his person. His cheek had a rather livid bruise on his cheek, his beige flannel shirt he bought during his travels was covered in beer stains and blood, his brown leather trousers was torn on its ends which complimented with the mysterious yellow stain on the zipper, however it isn't all too bad for him as he hadn't lost any of his belongings and an address from a rather pleasant barmaid for morning tea or an afternoon delight. The detective ceased his incessant ruminating of his current appearance when he came to his place of work which was unsurprisingly busy due to the current circumstance that had befallen the city.

Clack clack clack.

Alistair hurried his way down towards the main entrance of the hospital, struggling against the urge to stop there in the middle of the hallway and fix whatever socket was loose. His neck was jarring him, and it produced the most peculiar sort of headache, right at the base of the skull, as if it was straining to slide off. He stood up straighter and did his best to ignore the pain, pushing his way into the main entrance of the hospital. Graciously, his favorite android stood in the middle of the room. He, of course, had no actual preference for Valerius, only for the business he represented. The android stood, curiously engaged in deep conversation with a nurse. "Deep" being a very relative term. He stood to the side for a moment holding a wry smile as the nurse led the conversation in the first circle of many.

Deciding he would spare the android of a long and boring conversation, Alistair stepped up. "Hello there, Valerius. It's nice to see you
alive and well." He stressed his syllables in 'alive', extending a cold hand and an even colder smile to the android as he waved the nurse away.

Adrienne awoke in her bed with a startle. She was covered with cold sweats and her eyes wide as she looked around the place she called her bedroom. Nothing. Just another nightmare. With a soft exhale Adrienne would get up from her bed and shake her thoughts away about the horrendous vision she had. It wasn't real. Or so she told herself. After somewhat calming her heart rate, she would send a small prayer out then begin to undress then redress herself in normal clothes. (The clothes in her picture.) Once that was done, she would exit her bedroom and head for the little area known as her kitchen. The woman would make herself a very fast breakfast then head out for the day. Adrienne was excited, today she would head to the hospital and help out as well as give blessings to families or the sick who ask for one.

Whilst walking she did her best to avoid anything..sharp since she wasn't wearing shoes. Her long raven hair blew behind her in a gentle breeze that seemed to caress her, then move on. The smell in the air was the same as always, thick with smoke and smog with a strange metallic bite. It wasn't the worst, but she longed for fresh air..if it even existed. With a small sigh, she'd shake her head and pick up the pace, excited to get to the hospital and help out.

((That was.. awful x.x I am so sorry.))

With a thoughtful expression, Valerius pondered over Ray’s words- they struck a chord with him, one that hadn’t been disturbed in quite some time. Once, not so long ago, he had known what it was like to have his entire existence bound to a single building, the estate of a wealthy House within Pandosia, his own personal prison adorned with marble artworks and velvet carpets. He spent twenty-five long years there, a slave at the beck and call of his lords, silently awaiting that day where a spark in the supercomputer encased in his head would flourish into a true personality, true feeling, true sentience.

Surely, one might think it was far more preferable to be a thrall in a lavish mansion than a servant to an infirmary full of decaying humans- but, in the very least, Val couldn’t imagine Ray would know what it was like to feel alone.

“Ray,” he spoke after a moment of quiet thought, his voice oddly solemn. “Mechanic as we may be, we experience horribly short lives. One day soon, you’ll be thrown out by the flesh for a more advanced model, a more humanlike model- they will be able to do the jobs of twenty of you, and you’ll be forgotten as quickly as you were fashioned.”

He contemplated shutting his mouth before he endangered himself, but once the floodgates were open, it was impossible to stop. It didn’t help he was particularly passionate about this topic. "The world beyond is… it’s beautiful, and it’s so much greater than anything you could ever calculate within these walls. Pandosia may fall one day, but Pandosia isn’t the world. It’s hardly even a
fraction of the world.” A soft smile formed on his face, half-there. “Perhaps you think what I’m saying is nonsense- fair enough. I have blathered on quite enough. If you ever wake up one day and find that the world looks far brighter than it did the day before, tell me. My condolences for your patients.”

Admittedly, Val hadn’t even noticed the doctor’s presence, he was so engrossed in his conversation. When McCarthy appeared beside him, Val’s lips instantly changed from a warm smile to a hard line, as though the expression was washed clean from his face.

“Hello, Doctor McCarthy,” Val greeted him, his voice becoming so monotone, one could almost hear the digital tone underlying his words. Against his better instinct, he took McCarthy’s outstretched, withered hand and shook it in a strong, mechanic grip, ensuring the doctor felt the cold metal of his hand through his glove. He was quick to let go- it was an obligation out of some begrudging respect, to ensure the doctor’s ongoing business with Bamford Bionics.

“I trust you’ve also been well. One can only assume, if you feel so
comfortable keeping me waiting here past our agreed time. But, no matter. I'm not here to lecture you.” He raised his briefcase, containing a small wealth of technology. “I have your augments prepared- I understand that optics have been in demand as of late, and so my..." Master? Boss? Friend? "...proprietor adjusted for that. You have Mister Bamford's prescription prepared for me, I presume?"

Disinterested as he was, Alistair couldn't help but hear the latter part of Valerius' speech. He was surprised, but he kept his face crisp, filing the moment away into his memory, resigning to be more watchful of this particular robot.

"You know good and well that my responsibilities in this hospital are spread far and wide, with resources stretched thin.
Comfort played no role in my tardiness, my dear courier." Alistair snatched at the briefcase greedily, looking over it's contents with the hungry eyes of a buzzard. When satisfied, he lowered the case to his side and fished a bottle of pills from hit coat pocket. "You're lucky, you know. Or atleast, Master Bamford is. We're stretched thin on prescriptions for now, most of these patients would die for something like this." He let our a dry, voiceless laugh - the sound of a loose hose spraying air - then turned away from the robot. "See you soon, Valerius. Don't spend too much time thinking about the beauties of nature. It isn't good for your master's health."

Marcus sprinted down the streets of Central officers hot on his tail shouting various warnings and profanities promising pain if he got caught. He saw a alley a little ways ahead to his right and quickly pushed bystanders out of his way causing them to shout their own curses as they got up and picked whatever they dropped on the ground. When the alley was near Marcus threw his momentum to his right and continued sprinting down the alley. Fortunately for him losing his company was a simple matter of making several twists and turns between the inter-connected alleyways. He heard the officers screaming and running down a alley heading away from his location and stopped running once the shouts faded in the distance.

Now have gotten rid of his pursuers he pulled various jewelry out of his jumpsuits pocket to check what he did manage to take before he was spotted. He held some diamond rings, several silver and gold chains and gold earrings with small sapphires outlining the edges. "Eh could have went better but considering the surprise visit by the owner not too bad of a haul."

Marcus took off his hood and cowl and headed to the street hoping to pass as a maintenance worker long enough to get to the Province Black Market where he could sell his loot to a fence he trusted and be on his way back home to an apartment he lived in in Central. It was not the best apartment but it was better then a cold wood shack in the Province.

Ray was shocked into silence.

Perhaps not shocked – they knew them to be true, and it wasn’t surprising. It was fact. But had they really processed it? Had they really ever considered the inevitability of their ‘death’? And they weren’t new anymore. They weren’t old, outdated, quite yet, but they would be, one day. Being a nurse didn’t help. With people’s lives on the line, improvements could mean all the difference.

They had feared this before, but in a vague sense; now, it fully struck them. His next words only made it worse; they hadn’t felt the desperate urge to see the world since they first became sentient. They had known how dangerous it would be to dwell on such thoughts; that’s what led android to being Aberrant. But the combination of the reminder of the brevity of life and the description of the beauty of the outside world reawakened that ache. It was different, hearing it from someone who wasn’t dying, hearing it from another android; someone who had been through something similar. It hurt.

In part, they were glad at Dr. McCarthy’s interruption. They didn’t know how to respond, or if they even should. It would be safer to not, to keep themselves in this safe box of living vicariously through the stories of her patients, of hiding her sentience, but part of her called out no, no, no. Pandosia may fall and one day you’ll be recycled for scrap – live while you can.

Dr. McCarthy’s silenced her; he had always unsettled her, and, at least around him, they had to stay settle their thoughts. And so they stepped back when he waved them away and felt themselves settle back into the familiar box of complacency, though it was a bit tighter, a bit more uncomfortable.

They glance at the door for just a second. How easy it would be to just… Walk out. But how much harder it would be from there.

They went back to their patients.

“Thank you,” Aimery said into the ribbon microphone and gripped his award tighter in his hands. Though some members of the crowd began wooping when Aimery had taken the stage, they hushed as soon as he’d approached the podium. “It is truly an honour to receive this award. It is an honour to be recognised by not only my peers, associates and superiors, but to be celebrated by those worldwide for my robotic advancements. It is an honour to be able to stand here today and say that I am the first man in history to achieve such robotic advancements, advancements that have impacted the world and day-to-day life for the better. It is an honour to be able to say that, with Val,” he outstretched his hand to his left, where Valerius stood smiling back at him, “these advancements will help the world become a better place—will propel society centuries into the future. Today, history has been made.”

After a round of thunderous applaud, queen Augusta rose from her mighty throne and beckoned him forward. Giving one last glance to Val—who encouraged him on—he approached and knelt before her.

“Your majesty,” he murmured after bowing his head. The queen smiled.

“Aimery Bamford—for your tireless work and continuous strive towards the betterment of society,” she began, plucking the ceremonial sword from where it lay on a cushioned pedestal, “I hereby knight you Sir Aimery Bamford of Pandosia, grand master of robotics.”

“Thank you,” Aimery whispered, feeling tears of joy prickle in his eyes. He swallowed the pride swelling in his chest as she smiled back, the sword held firmly in her hands. After a moment of waiting, Aimery began to wonder how long he’d have to kneel before she knighted him with the sword; that was still a custom, right?

But then her smile sharpened, and the open hall grew darker as if the sun had taken cover behind a thick cloud. “And for your acts of treason—for enabling an android to grow sentient and for allowing this rogue technology to enter the black market, I hereby sentence you to death.”

“What?” Aimery stammered, glancing around him now as if to look for some kind of explanation. The crowd glared at him as though he was a murderer, and he could feel their stone cold judgement pierce through his skin. “T-this cant be right. I didn’t, I
wouldn’t do this, surely there must be some mistake—what did you do to Val?” Val, who had been standing not a moment before, was now battered and stripped and hulked against a wall in much the same way Aimery had found him all those years ago.

“Aimery Bamford, I sentence you to die by beheading. May the gods have mercy upon your soul,” the queen uttered, and with a great swoop of her sword, the white sheen of the blade flashed—

And Aimery awoke in a sudden coughing fit as though he’d been held underwater for an unhealthy amount of time. There was certainly nothing healthy about the violent way the coughs rattled through him, or the metallic taste it left on his tongue, but that was no matter. What mattered, now that he’d calmed his burning lungs and silence settled once again, was that it wasn’t all that silent after all.

Taking in the surroundings of his shop—the haphazard shelves of varying augments and upgrades, the robotics lining the walls, the hard oak counter he’d used as a pillow—he gathered the knowledge that he’d accidentally drifted off while the shop was in business.
Again. It didn’t happen often, but once or twice was still far too many times in Aimery’s opinion. How could he let himself sleep when there was so much to be done?

Still, the curtains were drawn about the shop windows and, if he squinted, he was sure the sign on the door was turned to
closed. Then why could he hear someone moving about in one of the aisles?

“Val?” he called weakly, the frog in his throat dulling his words. Running a hand through his hair—though he knew he could do nothing to stop it springing up and out—he tried to free it from the flattened state he’d achieved from lying on the counter too long. “Is that yo—“

Before he could finish his next question, he was interrupted by the loud thump and clatter of something heavy falling to the floor, and it was then that Aimery remembered he’d told the android yesterday to deliver the augments to the hospital. Whoever had made the racket, as Aimery realised with growing dread, wasn't supposed to be there.

Thus, as a last thought, he grabbed a stray wrench from one of the shelves—a wrench he’d broken last week but hadn’t gotten around to disposing—and crept his way through the shop, tentatively peering down each aisle as he went.

“Please be a rat,” he whispered under his breath to no one in particular as he continued his search. He wasn’t particularly fond rodents, but it was a much nicer sight than that of a thief wielding a weapon that wasn’t blunt or used to fix things.

@vinebeck

Once inside his office Ilyich removed his stained flannel shirt revealing the number of bruises that dotted his abdomen though that was the least of his worries .Ilyich grumbled whilst he sat down behind his beautifully made desk, it was rather annoying and tedious having to tend to his one's own injuries as said time could be better used doing more productive things though the answer for his predicament was rather simple as he could purchase an android to serve as his personal nurse however the newer models were much to expensive for him not to mention the expenses of having to maintain said android, he may be quite affluent but he is no business mogul. Aside from the expenses of buying one he also found the notion of having his back turned towards an android frightening as an android's AI or programming could malfunction putting him at the hands of an Aberrant android which were often quite murderous and angry in his experience. Perhaps that is why he has a slight fear of the hospital as the staff there were mostly made up of androids and each of them could potentially be an aberrant in hiding or worse, jack the ripper himself .

As Ilyich began filling out the paperwork he had a strange sensation come over him, he felt nausiated and his stomach began to ache though just a little bit. Thinking that it was just because he had yet to eat breakfast thus he continued to fill out the rather dull task of detective work. As the hour progressed the pain in his stomach intensified exponentially causing him to briefly cry out in pain which caught the attention of his coworker.

"Goddammit that's the last time I order my meat rare" By the time his colleague entered Ilyich on the floor next to a trashcan filled with his vomit clutching his stomach. Shortly after he was rushed to the hospital by his colleagues despite his protests.

Barry crunched the $5 dollar bill under his fingers, pondering deeply over this new terror that has taken over the streets of pandosia.

Jack the ripper, what is his motivation? Why does he kill people? Is he crazy, or are there any other more deeper agenda then what we're presuming right now? The peacekeepers were always very quick to judging criminals, overtly presumptuous, I must admit. Even I similar qualities, however faltering it may seem.

He was broken out of his almost trance-like state by the boorish glare of the cashier, who didn't actually say anything, but his annoyance could as well be very clear according to his gestures and that stare. Barry hurriedly unfolded the money before handing it to said cashier, and then rushing off with that cup of coffee he just bought, almost forgetting that he gave three dollars more than what he was to initially give. Lacking the need to waste previous time, he gestured for the cashier to keep the change, hoping that his anger would've calmed down by now, for he had no wish of getting on anybody's wrong side.

The scenario itself wasn't the most breathtaking. Dirt and garbage littered the street, as the ambiance was a filled with chatter from the nearby inhabitants, quite a few showing hints of anger and chaos, but he couldn't care less about it, his morning already was a really sore one, and due to that, he was behaving abnormally absent-minded, whether it was because of the recent flurry of bad news or that he simply didn't have any sleep, was a matter unanswered.

He briskly navigated through the numerous alleyways, which were quite shady, before landing right in front of a man, and he sure looked crazy. His hair was matted, whisky his entire condition was disheveled. The very sight of him was grotesque, as he was quite scarred and lacked an eye. Before he could react properly or make up an apology, he was interrupted by the man pulling out a knife.

"This isn't a really good thing, is it?" He muttered to himself moments before he was stabbed in the torso, leaving no time for any physical reaction, leaving Barry staggering, yet with the cup of coffee. Luckily, only the lower side of his left shoulder was truly injured, which left him a bit on the enraged side, as he tossed the contents of the cup — which was, of course, steaming hot coffee — right onto the one-eyed guy's face, leaving him momentarily stunned, giving Barry crucial time to get him.

Now, as any reasonable man would do, Barry quickly wrestled the knife away from him, in what would only be described as an awkward moment of snatching an item, almost in a cowardly fashion, as the would-be killer himself was stunned. Barry rushed forward, before stabbing the knife in his remaining eye, the impact and pain sending him down unto the ground. Triumphant, Barry tried to smile, only for the pain to reveal itself, akin to a million sharp needles, or a single, big one — to his face, the adrenaline having died down quite the long time ago.

Barry decided to leave the man unreported, for he wasn't going for trying to get entangled in the mess that happened to be the paperwork. Rushing off, and burdened with the fact that he lost five dollars worth of stuff, he quickly made off to the hospital, the closest one there is, all the while bleeding terribly, and receiving the occasional odd looks from random bystander.

Valerius forced himself to remain silent all throughout McCarthy’s vitriolic ramblings, his black eyes expressionless, his immaculate countenance as cold as a winter’s day. It was not an unfamiliar song and dance, this unpleasant interaction with this unpleasant man, but if the transaction didn’t impact so heavily on Aimery and Aimery’s business, he sure as hell wouldn’t bother stepping foot into the infirmary ever again. He hazarded a sideways glance at Ray, who had been dismissed so rudely by the doctor, grimly watching them leave their presence and return to their patients in something of a daze.

Taking the prescription from McCarthy’s grasp and safely tucking it away into his coat pocket, Valerius was vexed at the doctor’s mockery of his own ramblings about the world to Ray, but ignored the derisive comment.

“My
master thanks you for your continued patronage,” Valerius said robotically, save for the sarcastic inflection on the word ‘master’. He knew Aimery hated it whenever he was referred to as Valerius’ ‘master’ in any way, but, unfortunately, it was a rather common occurrence in their society. “Oh, but I suggest you save your concerns for Mister Bamford’s health. You have, after all, far greater concerns to tend to within your domain, Doctor McCarthy.”

He gestured to the influx of ailing patients, a mass of groaning, decaying human bodies fighting for a hospital bed to lie in. Almost as though on cue, a heavily bleeding officer lurched in through the doors, followed by another man who looked to be near unconscious, and a priestess, prepared to give dying patients their last blessings and wish prayers upon the sick. With the briefcase safely delivered and Aimery’s prescription secured, Valerius quickly made to leave after that, glancing pensively one last time at Ray - who busied themselves with tending to a patient - on his way out of the hospital.

Making his way home back to Bamford Bionics through the winding, dirty streets of southern Central Pandosia, Valerius certainly had a lot to mull over. Although he had spoken with Ray in particular before, never once had Valerius had such a deep conversation with any nurse. He could usually pride himself on remaining distant and disconnected from such emotional matters, but, today, he felt off. In fact, there seemed to be something off with him in general as of late- ever since Pandosia's cursed fall. Rumours of that 'ghostly' virus in Pandosia's systems he had previously disregarded began to worry away at him again, and a similar sense of dull anxiety like the one he felt at the hospital was reintroduced into his systems. There was no way that could be normal.

For the time being, Valerius deigned to shelf his growing concerns about his mental fortitude, making a note to bring it up to Aimery before his next maintenance check. The local market was nearby, and so he stopped in on his way home to purchase some ingredients he could use in his cooking- for Aimery, of course, who would forget to eat let alone actually eat anything of substance if Valerius wasn't around.

Readjusting the wide cloak she had 'borrowed' from one of her Servants around her shoulders, Jaelyn stared at the mechanics mounted against the wall, gathering the last bit of courage needed. It had been an odd coincidence that, a few weeks ago, she'd been roaming the Palace's hallways early in the morning, still tired but unable to sleep, when the floor had trembled. Just enough for the drowsy Heiress to lose her balance and reach for the wall to her side in an attempt to stay upright. It had taken her a few seconds to realize she had activated a smartly hidden lever, not recognizing the groaning sounds of a wall plate shifting until it creaked open, revealing a stairs down and a secret passageway.

A moment later, she'd heard the rumble of footsteps down the hall - the Palace startling awake after Pandosia's short-lived fall. With a soft click, Jaelyn had pushed the secret door closed, doing her best to remember the spot to find it again later and go to explore. The thought alone left her breathless with slight anxiety and anticipation. Never before had she had the chance to go outside and leave the Palace - the Queen instructing her to stay inside and her Guards to keep her inside. There was no sneaking out the front door. Jaelyn had tried, only managing to catch a handful of glimpses of the world that lay beyond the Palace boundaries, that kept her imprisoned and shielded - "safe".

She'd forgotten the exact location of the hidden passageway and had only found it again a few days ago. Following the stairs down and the long corridor at the bottom of those stairs, she had passed a few wooden doors until she had arrived at a small fence gate. Gripping the iron bars with both hands she'd spent half an hour just looking through at the alleyway behind and eventually turned around to scud back the way she'd came. Today, today would be different. Today she would
enter the streets, she'd promised herself.

Taking a last deep breath, Jaelyn deliberately pulled the lever, waiting for the wall to shift and open, then stepping through. Wearing her fancy royal dress, she'd been smart enough to hide her Servant's coat the other day so she could now use it, the cape flaring out around her and the hood wide enough to be pulled deep down, hiding her face. She clutched a pocket watch, engraved with the royal stamp, in the palm of her hand. It would be smart to head back in time not to get her Guards too worried.

With a squeaking sound, the gate handle moved with the gentle force of her hand. Jaelyn slipped out onto the streets for the very first time in her life, the beautiful Upper District stretching out around her. As soon as she reached the corner, halting there to look around wide-eyed from underneath her hood, she could tell she would need a Guide if she didn't want to get lost.

Following the android's indication, Alistair looked towards the entrance, seeing an officer enter the threshold. He straightened, holding himself in what may have been a prideful manner if he were a few decades younger, until he noticed the open wound at the officer's side, and dropped the act.

Skirting between bed-ridden patients, the decrepit doctor rushed to the side of the injured officer, offering his support. He waived over a nurse, the same one from earlier, to take his place holding up the officer. Glancing to his side, he beckoned to the priestess as well. "I know you have your religious duties, but I have more important ones, and I can't spare a second nurse to aid this man. Come with me, quickly." He turned away, not waiting for a response, and made for the hallway he had entered from, grabbing a portable medchart computer from the nurse's station to reserve an operation room for the officer.

Ray hadn't even noticed the injured man come in -- dazed, they had returned to their patients. They had looked up when Valerius had left, staring out for just a second at the street, though they couldn't see anything, really. The motions of taking care of a patient without actually paying special attention were innate, so nothing likely looked wrong from the outside; hopefully, at least.

They did notice being waved over, fortunately. It took them a second to realize what they were to do, until they fully processed the injured man and Dr. McCarthy. They quickly went and supported him, and thought of the crime Valerius had touched on, and of all the injured people they had seen in their years. Was the world truly that awful? But, then again, Valerius had called it beautiful, too. They had heard so many wonderful stories. Even from people who had had terrible lives, or had horrible things happen to them, they had heard something good.

But they needed to focus. They adjusted his weight on them slightly to better control him and glanced towards the priestess. They likely could carry him on their own, but it would go more slowly than would be optimal.

Adrienne would make her way through the center of the city, waving at passing bystanders that recognized her from the church. As usual, her bare feet lightly slapped against the pavement as she walked. The woman had a warm smile on her face as her cerulean eyes kept a vigilant look out for the hospital.

A few minutes into making her way, she was stopped by a couple.
"Lady Adrienne!" The woman smiled brightly before continuing, "Will you please doe a favor?" She requested. Adrienne nodded, "Well of course! What is it you would ask of me?" She questioned. The woman's face brighten up quite a bit as she looked to be what was assumed to be her husband. The man gave a smile to his wife before looking to Adrienne. "She is pregnant, and we'd like for you to bless the child." He said, his voice deep but kind. Adrienne smiled brightly as she nodded once more. "Not a problem!" She announced happily as she walked over th the woman and lightly pressed her index and middle finger to her belly, mumbled a blessing then pulled away. "Best of luck." She told then before waving goodbye and continued on toward the hospital.

After a good amount of walking later, Adrienne was finally at her destination. The hospital. For a brief moment, she became a little anxious but then shook it off. People may need her so she had to look confident and calm. Adrienne headed inside and began to look around for someone, anyone, who could direct her to where Dr. McCarthy was. She had to tell him she had arrived.

((So sorry x.x I never got any alerts for this.))

Marcus was now in the Province black-market peddlers selling stolen and illegal wares under the guise of real businesses. And he was unable to sell his stolen goods to his fence for a reasonable price because of an influx of jewelry and gold that month and the nearest fence that was said to still be looking for jewelry and gold was in the Upper District a very hard place to sell stolen goods though because of this selling prices sometimes were higher.

Suffice to say Marcus hated going to the Upper District. It was full of the snooty upper crust of Pandosia and acting as if he belonged annoyed him. Marcus just sighed and prepared for the trip, going to his apartment and putting on his clothing for the times he did enter the Rich District, the cloths were some crisp black pants, a white button up shirt and vest the vest decorated with silver buttons. Marcus tied his hair back into a ponytail and put his thief's clothing in a brief case along with the stolen jewelry and made his way through the streets till the buildings shifted to the tall elegant golden buildings of the Upper District. As he walked his eyes shifted around watching the others on the streets. An odd sight caught his attention, he saw a hooded woman in a servants coat walking the streets something not too out of place but how she seemed to glance around struck him as odd as most would look forward doing what ever task their employer gave them with a single tracked mind this woman seemed lost.

He knew he should just move on as the longer he was out her the more likely he would be caught and most likely killed with his crime record, but curiosity got a hold of him and he approached the woman, "Miss you seemed lost, need any help getting around?"

Location-Upper District Tagging-

@Scribbly

Lingering at the street corner a moment longer, Jaelyn tried to find a few points of reference in order to be able to find the alley, the gate and her way back into the Palace again when she'd return. Little did she know that - with her lack of experience outdoors - soon every street, house and corner would be looking quite the same to her. After all, it had taken her weeks to locate the hidden doorway again and that was inside the Palace where she'd grown up at. Promising herself she would just walk in one direction down the street only, then just turn around to walk back, Jaelyn checked the time on the pocket watch she was carrying once more before tucking it into one of her coat's pockets.

Looking around her rather than in front of her, the Heiress glanced around in wonder. She passed a few shops, stopping to check out the merchandise here and there. So caught up in the buildings that surrounded her, she didn't notice the man walking up towards her and jumped when he spoke up. Was it that apparent that she didn't belong? Her pale cheeks flushed under the hood as she looked up at the brown haired stranger and almost let out a giggle at the sight. It
was a man, or was it? The way he had his hair done - pulled back in a ponytail - was unfamiliar to her, as all her Servants and Guards would have the same, short haircut. Ponytails were reserved for women, and even then the younger ones. Female Servants at the Palace wore their hair in a bun. He seemed well-dressed though and Jaelyn made a courteous bow as she'd been taught. "Good day, Sir." she greeted the other, though uncertain of how she should behave, "That would be very kind."

A nervous energy ran through her as she looked over her shoulder down to where she'd come from - thinking she recognized the dark outlines of the alley. Thinking quickly, she knew she shouldn't tell him where exactly she was from. Maybe she could, however, tell him she was the niece of a shop owner of the clothing shop she just passed, out in the Upper District by herself for the very first time.

@Shadow Dancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back