• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Ignoble Ways [Closed]

The door was opened to them, the night doorman there to let them into the house. But he offered no invitation. He had been trained to invite no one in from dusk until dawn. If they were truly good, or had been invited in already, there would be no need to invite them in, and if they needed it, they were not welcome to come inside. He stepped aside so they could enter, shutting and locking the door behind them.

Silvio and Oriana were met in the hallway by Ianthe, who had come up from the armory with the axe, deactivated as it was, and her own pain was forgotten when she saw the state that Oriana was in. She moved to her side, instantly concerned.

"Come, you need to rest. You still look awful."

Nodding to Silvio, she moved to walk with Oriana up the steps, calling down to Brandt, "Tea please, and soup? I know it's late, but it seems to be necessary. Something with beef broth."

The butler, who was waiting down below, nodded and disappeared down the hallway. Ianthe then moved up the steps with Oriana and Silvio and walked down to the green garden room, opening the door. The bed was turned down, and a fire was burning so the room was warm but not uncomfortably hot, and the school teacher set her axe against the wall, ignoring the unpleasant feeling of the blood drying on her flesh. She simply wanted to make certain Oriana was going to be well.

"You look as if you could drop now, but tea and soup and then you can sleep," she said with a nod.

She glanced at Silvio, "I'm certain you're concerned, Mr. Aisling, but I need to insist, for the sake of propriety, that you step outside for a moment so I can assist Oriana out of her gear."

The fuss made over Oriana on entrance had Silvio quite amused, and he could see the way that his partner’s brows knit together in protest. Yes, of course she had been through worse. So, Silvio put a hand on her back. ‘That does not mean you should not take comfort when you can.’ And now was the time for that. Rest and rehydration would do her good, with her methods.

So Oriana let out a sigh rather than a protest, and walked with them towards the rooms. She even said, “Thank you for your concern,” to Ianthe, and she did mean it, even if she thought the woman was overly enthusiastic in that concern. She supposed it was unusual, even for a woman who could fight, to see someone in this state.

That was the world Oriana and Silvio were trying to make—a world where this was unusual, but for her, it was normal.

Her steps were slow, and Silvio kept her back straight as they came into her room, and despite the crosses he walked in with her to the bed and made sure she sat.

The request from Ianthe had both of them look at her, partially surprised it was asked. Modesty was one of the last things the two of them thought about, and when it struck them that they should consider it, Silvio straightened and put on that devilish grin of his, “If you need assistance with her gear, I’ll be right outside.”

As if they’d never seen the other naked. Removing armor to wrap wounds was always necessary, and sometimes their missions simply didn’t allow the luxury of privacy. Being out of sight of the other came with risks, after all. For Ianthe’s sake, though, Silvio left and shut the door behind him. He leaned against the wall right outside, and listened instead.

Oriana bent at her waist to start to undo the buckles on her boots, so it would be easier to get herself out. She wasn’t paralyzed, even if her hands shook. She just grit down and forced them to do the work. “Ianthe,” she spoke in a curious tone, “did you know how to fight before you married?” It was always refreshing to meet another woman who could.

Ianthe looked at Silvio pointedly until he left, not noting that the two of them did not seem to share the same style of propriety that she did. But when they were alone, she kicked what was left of her skirts out of the way and knelt down, gently easing Oriana's hands aside and unbuckling the buckles on her boots for her. It was far more pleasant to concentrate on helping her than on what she was going to attempt to do the next day.

"No," she replied, shaking her head. "I was nothing but a school teacher. I knew nothing until I married. My late husband, Grey Reinhart, was a vampire hunter, like you and Mr. Aisling. The only thing he wanted more than a world without vampires was to keep his family safe. So he taught me how to defend myself, how to use his tools, how to keep the vampires at bay and not fall into their traps. Our home has rooms in it designed after rooms he had seen in the castles of Nobles. But most importantly, I was a quick study."

She slipped the boots off for her, and then straightened up, setting them aside near the door. Brandt would have one of the maids bring them down for cleaning in the morning. There was no reason to wake the entire house. Ianthe took a slow breath, looking down at her, knowing she would need to speak with them. She did not want them thinking she wanted to go with them for some share of the bounty. She sat on the bed to help Oriana undress.

"You plan on going after him tomorrow, don't you? You and Mr. Aisling?"

Another breath, "I understand why you may say no, but I would like you to consider please taking me with you. I want none of your bounty. I want nothing but Lafayette's head in my hands, to know that his damnable life has ended once and for all."

Her hands were still gentle, as she helped Oriana out of her clothing, setting it neatly aside, ignoring the fact that she was a mess herself. There would be plenty of time to bathe after she had gotten some kind of agreement that she might go with.

Silvio listened to each word, each sound, from his post outside the door. He amused himself with thoughts of guarding women for the rest of his life, and listening to the gossip, but Oriana was not gossiping, nor was the other woman. Their topic lay at the heart of what he and Oriana did for a living.

He wondered how much Oriana was squirming at being undressed when she thought herself capable.

He wondered where the woman, so resistant to help, got the idea into her head to help another woman who should have been similar.

Of course, Oriana wasn’t. Otherwise she would have thrown a bigger fit. Oriana liked to play at denying luxury, only for a few seconds. Then she’d accept it.

And so Oriana did let her hands be pushed away. It was with many mixed emotions, but she sunk into the position of the one needing help, and accepted it. She listened as the woman told her story, and then as the garbs were finally taken off and she was disrobed, the important question was asked.

“Now, what am I supposed to say when you have me this vulnerable?” Not a bit of armor between herself and the woman, “Am I supposed to say ‘no’ and tell you to stay here and do your duty to the world? Or volunteer to bring back Lafayette’s head to you?”

She could do things, but Oriana guessed why the woman was asking. “This is the vampire that ended your happiness, isn’t it? Nicolai Lafayette?”

“Yes, he is,” came Silvio’s voice from the door. “His bragging about Gray Reinhart was rather loud.” One of the reasons Silvio had agreed to this hunt. He remembered the boastful nature of this noble, and how the death of Gray had frozen the hunting world.

Clearly, Oriana didn’t recall. Silvio continued, “If you understand we will not be risking our lives to protect yours, you can come along.”

Oriana rolled her eyes. She whispered, in the vain hope that Silvio wouldn’t hear, “He tries to scare others from the hunting life.” She rose then, to find the nightgown she’d worn earlier. It would at least cover her, while leaving her wounds easily accessible. She found it discarded on the floor from when she changed out of it earlier, and slipped it on, ignoring the sharp pain as a loose thread snagged on an open wound and pulled. It was petty pain, but unexpected.

Silvio heard, of course. He didn’t comment on it. It was true. When one took that path, it didn’t end until death. Very few escaped it. Nobles held grudges, and they would pursue retired hunters.

"Do you think I would hurt you if you said no right now?" Ianthe asked, obviously amused at the idea.

"I would understand if you said no. I might even agree with it, only to follow you. But I..."

Her lips trembled, and she pressed them together tightly, to keep herself from spilling out all of her secrets. They were not the burden of these two. But Oriana guessed correctly and Silvio added to it. She nodded slightly, seeing that horrible night behind her eyelids again. It replayed over and over when she did not push it away so hard that it disappeared. At times like that, she could almost forgot how much she lost.

"He took everything from me, and left behind ghosts that refuse to fade away," she murmured softly, knowing Silvio would hear outside the door, even when she barely spoke the words.

Brandt appeared in the hallway, nodding slightly to Silvio before knocking on the door, "My lady?"

Getting up, Ianthe went to the door, taking the tray from the butler, "Brandt, please get some sleep."

She looked at the tray, which had tea and cups, soup in a small tureen, and bandages. Pleased, she nodded for him to go, and this time she left the door open, as Oriana was dressed once again. Setting the tray down, she poured her a cup of tea and handed it to her on the delicate china, and then went into the bathroom, bringing back warm, clean water. She then got to work on the wounds the other woman had sustained.

"Even if it is the last thing I do before I see them again...I would like to think it would make them glad to see me," she finally said, accepting that this could well be her own death sentence.

“Those ghosts won’t go away just because he does.”

Silvio spoke the truth as he heard the flutter of clothing and heard the steps of Brandt. He made himself smaller against the wall, but did not move to intercept. “You will always have to carry it.” He was old enough now to know that. When he was younger, he thought he would escape his own ghosts. His mother. The people that he’d come to love through his life.

It wasn’t so. One day, he knew, Oriana would haunt him too. He just hoped her ghost was not like his mothers, not ripped to pieces and sorrowful. He hoped that somehow, her ghost would be smiling as she did in life.

It was one of the reasons he kept to this life. Movement allowed for him to never get attached, and it let him encounter many faces that became blurs. He was social when he wanted, but always moving. Always, avoiding new ghosts.

Brandt came, and he did not step in when the door was opened and the soup and tea were taken. He whispered a quiet, “Thank you,” to Brandt before the man escaped his sight.

Oriana returned to Ianthe’s side as the food and drink was brought in, with the bandages, and she laid a hand upon the woman’s shoulder. “You know, a battle is about 80% mental. Don’t talk like you’re going to die,” advice that was the very reason Oriana was standing. Mind over matter. If she let herself look how she felt, it would be over in an instant. Silvio wouldn’t let her continue on.

Illusions and tricks were always necessary.

She removed her hand then to take the tea, and to sit down again, “You can’t be living to die. You have to live to live, it doesn’t matter what you do for the dead. Do things for the living.” If this woman, Ianthe, was going to come with them then she had to be in the right mindset. Oriana didn’t want to bring back a corpse of a councilwoman. Not just because of the scandal and problems, but also because Ianthe was kind.

Ianthe should live. “We can bring you back his head,” Oriana made that offer clear, “You don’t have to come yourself.” But Oriana knew it was a futile endeavor to convince her otherwise, as she set the tea aside to reach for soup. Sustenance. Hydration. Silvio should be happy. She didn’t stop the woman as she started to wrap the wounds, and she tried to adjust her position as necessary to make it easier for her.

"The problem with everyone's ghosts are that they are never the same. Perhaps I can put him to rest if I finish what he started."

She smiled sadly at Oriana, "I am just accepting that it might happen. Not that I will. I do quietly have hope that I might succeed, that I might avenge them. And before you say it, it will make me feel better. I've been trying to convince myself for a year that I would not feel better if I took his head. I know that I was wrong though."

Ianthe got some of the soup for Oriana, glad that she was eating. It would do her good, to get the iron of the beef stock into her, she seemed to have lost a lot of blood. It was so hard to tell them all of why she needed to go, why she wanted to. It was so kind of Oriana to offer to bring her the head, and not just the council. It was something she had to do for herself, not just for Grey and their unborn child.

Placing a hand gently on her shoulder, she smiled at her, "Thank you. But I won't be a burden to you. In the morning, the armory will be yours to go through. I'm certain you have your own tools, but Grey left many of his tools behind. If anything could be useful to you, you'll be more than welcome to take it. You too, Mr. Aisling."

She had not forgotten that he was standing outside. Putting in his two cents. Not that she expected anything else. It was nice, how much they seemed to care for each other. Even she, surrounded by people, could not claim such a connection. Helena was even far away from her. Nobody knew the entire story of what she had lost, why she mourned for so very long. Brandt was always there, but in the end of things, she paid him to be. It did not count.

"More of the soup, and tea. Then you should rest," she continued, moving to another wound.

"Thank you, Mr. Aisling. For earlier. I appreciate that you came to my aid when we were beleaguered. I did not voice my gratitude properly at the time, but I'm certain you understand."

Aside from fighting at the time, it was also a moment of weakness she wanted no other townspeople to see. They had an opinion of her that she was not going to let change, or she would have more trouble than she already had with people like Cavendish and men who thought she was just another pretty bauble that belonged to Graywood. But his assistance had not gone unnoticed or unwanted. Silvio being there had bolstered the spirits of the fighting men.

"If it makes you feel any better," she said, speaking to them both. "I would have gone after him on my own anyway now. He came after children. There are parents who have outlived their children this night that were never meant to. Whether he intended it or not, that too drives me. Those children...I loved them deeply even as just their teacher."

No, ghosts weren’t the same, but like vampires, all ghosts had similar attributes. Silvio did not speak up, though. Some people had to learn from experience, rather than the wisdom of others. He would let her learn that it was something she had to carry—forever. All those who lost eventually learned it, though sometimes it took them fifty years to realize what they’d been doing to themselves by refusing it.

That which wasn’t carried, dragged.

Oriana chuckled at the idea that she was just accepting it, “Of course,” she didn’t sound convinced. How could she sound convinced when Ianthe had spoken of seeing the dead? Still, she did not press it. There was a hardness to her, but she and Silvio had learned not to force things on others.

They could be wrong. They were not normal, after all. They hunted vampires. That was far from normal. “We’ll look through the armory. We’ll use what we need,” nothing more. Anything unused would be returned. They weren’t in the business of cheating good people.

Bad people, though….

Oriana started to put down the soup when Ianthe scolded her, and she laughed a bit, “You’re as bad as Silvio,” she said, and then brought the soup straight to her lips, ignoring the spoon, to drink it down quicker. She wanted to sleep.

“Not half as bad,” Silvio sounded mock-upset at that, then said, “You’re welcome, Mrs. Reinhart.” Reputations. Frustrating things. “We will let you accompany us. We cannot stop you, and it is better that we see you.” Too many an angry person ruined a hunt or otherwise made it more damaging than it would have been otherwise. Best to see the one who might muck things up, and see when it all fell apart. “I am sorry that we were unable to protect the town this night. It seems Lafayette has done his research on us both.”

Though he was unable to defeat him. “We will find him during the day to spare more lives.”

Oriana nodded her agreement, setting aside the empty soup bowl then. The woman had a tender heart. It was unfortunate that she had to endure so much tragedy, but Oriana saw it as a sign of strength that her heart was not hardened, and had not blocked out kindness and compassion. No, even in the midst of all this, she was loving. That was strength. True strength.

"I would like to think I could excel him at that," Ianthe said, smiling a bit as she looked down at the bandages in her hands.

"You mean keep an eye on me," she continued, lifting one delicate eyebrow, brushing her dark hair away from her face. "I am not intending on hindering you. Emotions that would have made it hard for me to keep a level head have evened out months ago. But I do not think you have anything to apologize for. You protected it the best you could under the circumstances. Never would I have believed that Harding would have become a traitor. I feel so bad for his family."

She finished bandaging Oriana, and smiled at her, "There. Now you can sleep in comfort. Leave the tray. The maids will pick it up in the morning. Good night, Oriana."

Ianthe picked up the axe, and resisted the urge to tuck her into bed. Instead, she just helped blow out the lights, turning off the gaslight as well, so the fire was all that burned in the fireplace, the cross over the windows protecting the room from the outside. Leaving the room, bedraggled and coated in drying blood, she stopped near Silvio, just letting herself have a dangerous moment near him. Undoubtedly, he fell into the class of gentlemen that would see her as untouchable, widow of a good man who died in service to others. It was only the men whom she would never look twice at that wanted her.

"Good evening, Mr. Aisling."

With that, she walked down to her room, opening the double doors and slipping inside. Putting the axe near her bed, Ianthe began stripping away the clothing she had put on so happily earlier that evening. She was nude by the time she left it all in a pile to be destroyed, and she went into her bathroom, filling the large claw foot tub with hot water from the taps while she took off her jewelry at the vanity table, stopping at the beautiful wedding ring that she never removed. That she left on.

She sank into the steaming water, watching the brown turn red again and float away. Eventually, she washed her hair, draining away the water and running it again to just lounge in the bath. Eventually she got out and dried herself off, slipping into a silk nightgown before crawling into the large bed that had already been warmed for her. She stopped only to put a cross around her throat once again, in case the house were broken in to somehow. But her room was protected like all the others.

Drifting to sleep, she felt a strange comfort. The comfort of coming closure. Something that she knew would eventually come to her in one way or another.

~~~~

"Talk."

"I...I d-don't..."

Cavendish snapped his fingers and the brand, red hot and smoking, was brought closer to the struggling man's face, and the other thug behind him moved, holding open his eyelid. The restrained man let out a scream purely of fear.

"Okay, okay! I'll tell you!"

The mayor took a moment, then nodded for his other bodyguard to stop the advance, and the man who had worked for Harding, at least until Harding met his untimely end that evening, began to speak.

"He always met him at the bunker."

"Where is this bunker?" Cavendish asked.

"Twenty miles outside the city. The entrance is inside the old mines that are marked with a white patch on one of the wooden load bearing beams. Go in that one, take nothing but left forks. It will lead to him. I swear!"

He nodded slowly, "That's better."

Turning away, Cavendish did not witness his men murdering the servant, but he heard the sound of his last bloody, guttural gasp for air as the sword went in through his back and out through his chest. They would throw his body on the trash pile, and burn it in the morning. No, he was far more interested in this Noble that worked with humans. It almost felt as if he could finally have his wish, to take over the city, to push out the Jaspers and be the richest man in the city.

Having his group of five men join him, he got his horse saddled and they rode at a breakneck pace through the night, toward the old mines twenty or so miles outside of the city. They had originally been deserted because they were completely tapped, but occasionally they were used by wandering people as a place to stay at night. If they chose the wrong cave though, they found themselves hard pressed to not be attacked and eaten in the night.

The moon was slowly descending in the sky toward the horizon by the time they reached the mines, and Cavendish was the first off his horse, lantern that had been attached to the saddle in hand. He then made certain his men were at his back, and they began venturing inside, taking the left forks, as they had been told to take. Part of him thought them the fool, that they were going to find nothing, but then he saw something that changed his mind.

A skeleton.

Rather fresh too.

So much the better.

“Please don’t,” Oriana laughed a little when Ianthe made the joke of exceeding Silvio in mothering. “I only need one.”

One alive, and one ghost.

Every hunter had their stories.

Of course they meant to keep an eye on her. Even if her emotions were stable, they were not sure that would last when confronted with Nicolai Lafayette himself. That was to be seen. Both hunters hoped that she would be stable through it. “Good night, Ianthe, and thank you again, for the hospitality and all of this,” a gesture down at her bandaged body. Those accursed feathers had left her cut up in too many places. Shallow wounds, not half as bad as the bullet, but wounds nonetheless.

They took time to heal, time Oriana didn’t have. She would take what time she could get, and rest.

Oriana walked to the bed as Ianthe fetched her axe, and turned low all the lights. She did not shut her eyes, though, but listened to the exchange outside.

Silvio did indeed see Ianthe Reinhart in the way she thought—perhaps feared, and he saw her as human. Beautifully, human. Deliciously, human. He tried to never see humans as more than that--human. He was not a part of their world. He never could be.

The fact they were food complicated it. The blood on her, fortunately, was not her own but all the predators she had taken down, and so her own scent was masked beneath it. “Good night, Mrs. Reinhart,” he said, and waited for her to be out of sight.

“Do I need to follow the rules of conduct now?” He asked.

“No.”

And so in walked Silvio, and he strode to her side and took a seat on the bed. “You will sleep,” he said. She rolled her eyes.

“You won’t.” It was difficult for him to sleep at night. “You’re going to be exhausted.”

“It should not matter if we find Nicolai.”

“When.”

He smiled at her rephrasing. Mental battles. True victories. “When,” he accepted. “Do not hesitate to wake me in the morning.” He would likely fall asleep at dawn. It was his nature.

“I know.” She rolled onto her side. “Go read a book, Silver. You’re bugging me.”

He grumbled, but then rose and left her alone. He did find a book to entertain himself with that night.

~***~

Nicolai did return to the bunker, to the mines where many of his newly made children roamed. They were in the right tunnels, locked up for their own safety and for his use. He would be letting them out tomorrow, the full force of his arm. He intended to stretch out and take over this part of the Frontier. He had a residence more befitting a Noble not terribly far, but he needed to divide and conquer.

His family was much too large for the territory he currently ruled over. Expansion was necessary for food and for their egos.

Now that he knew that only two hunters were present, he was certain the town would fall easily. He just had to act before they found him during the day, as he knew they’d try to do.

As he settled into the bunker, into his makeshift lab, he heard the bells of intruders go off. He frowned and ran his fingers over the keys of his computer, taking him right to the security cameras. ‘Interesting.’ He knew only one of them, Cavendish, the mayor. What was he playing at?

Nicolai did not move then to greet them. They were going to encounter his faithful puppy, after all.

Indeed, the fresh skeleton they’d found was missing its femur, which was being chewed on by the partially-transformed werewolf. The creature looked upon them as they drew nearer, yellow eyes catching the light, black fur rising in threat as the werewolf rose to its feet. She was not a pureblooded one, but she was still a worthy threat.

She growled out, “Who comes here?” without stepping into any light to make herself fully visible. The mystery of her size often played to her advantage, after all.

Cavendish and his men came to a stop when they came across the partially transformed werewolf. They had prepared for vampires and all that their brood might entail, and there was one of his men with a silver blade if necessary. But for now, he was going to just see if he could turn this into a parlay, so that he could speak with Lafayette himself. Speaking with minions did nothing but waste his time.

"I am Harlan Cavendish, mayor of the city of Celestine. We wish safe passage to discuss matters with Lord Lafayette."

The others shifted around him, only slightly nervous. Cavendish was certain they would succeed though.

"I come offering him the city. And other lagniappes if he is so inclined to consider my proposition."

"Mmm...yes, let them come..."

From the shadows came a voice that was so soft and alluring, and every single man there saw in his head what he wanted to see. Cavendish saw a woman that looked remarkably like Ianthe Reinhart, but meek and mild and willing to do as he wished. One of the bodyguards saw the whore he had bedded just the other night that specialized in the fancy passions that he so enjoyed indulging in.

But in the shadows they would find no beautiful girl. Instead, it was nothing but a mass of rags, thin and tall, and one ghost-white hand, the flesh clinging to the bones, black fingernails filed into points, gestured to them.

"I will take them to Lord Nicolai. And should they get out of order..."

The laugh was melodic and horrible all at the same time. As the voice of a siren should have been. The skinny figure gestured for them to follow her, and she took them down the hallways, not speaking while they got closer and closer to the bunker. She seemed to need no light in the darkness, and guided them without fail, coming to the heavy metal doors and knocking oh so gently, as if afraid her bones would crumble if she knocked any louder.

The werewolf sneered a bit at the siren, and might have thrown her bone, but did not. The siren irked her in many ways, notably in the way it made her so very confused and uncomfortable. She knew what it was, beneath the rags, but all she ever saw upon looking at it was Nicolai himself. She knew the differences, but it was bothersome nonetheless. “Leave me their bones at least,” she called back, doubting she’d get any meat and muscle from the siren.

Well, there’d be plenty of that soon, when they took over the town.

Nicolai, meanwhile, walked to the bunker doors. He was pleased with the siren’s decision to let the men through, though he imagined the werewolf would have eventually. She would never displease her master, after all. Still, she did like to delay things and put up an intimidating front.

He unlocked the doors for the men, and he walked into another room. He would not meet with them in his lab, of course. He would meet with them in a room meant to resemble a study from a time humans had forgotten. Lights were flicked on, not fire. They cast a green hue over the room, and there Nicolai sat in what could have been called a rather comfortable, high-backed throne.

He was gorgeous, of course, but he was Noble. His skin had the sheen of a pearl to it, pale as it was. His eyes were as golden as the sun he could no longer see, and his hair a deep ebony that flowed over his back to rest at his hips. He was dressed well, in velvets and silks, as Noble as the term ‘Noble’ implied.

When the group would arrive, he would raise a glass of synthetic blood, letting the red catch the light to remind them of their place in his eyes. A much tastier food. “Good evening, Harlan,” he was informal to taunt the mayor. “Thank you, my dear, for bringing them to me,” he would say to the siren, dismissing her with his tone. He had no use for her at this parlay. These humans were nothing to him. Insects, at best.

The siren guided the men inside her lord's chamber, and curled into the shadows. She had hoped to stay, a thinly veiled threat, but was dismissed. Not interested in being defiant, at least for now, she glided away leaving the men alone with the noble. But she cackled outside, wondering if this were desperation or something else that brought them into the vampire's den. All of them would be left with bell-like laughter though.

Cavendish took in his surroundings, thought about his own parlor and how it paled in comparison. Well, not for much longer. He straightened his shoulders a bit before he spoke.

"I've come to offer a truce, my lord," Cavendish began, thinking it best to be polite in his own way.

"In the simplest of terms, I turn Celestine over to you. No more hunters called, no more cavalry called. In return, I only ask that I be installed as governor."

Asking for the cursed immortality that Harding obviously craved was foolish. Firstly, he never thought that Lafayette would ever grant it. Secondly, Lafayette would never create an equal. He simply made more slaves, and Cavendish was not going to be a slave. His ambition was to rise above the others, and this would do it as well as not.

"In exchange for this, I will provide you with humans to watch over you and yours during the daylight hours. Take what you want from the city as long as you leave certain residents alone. But that short list of protected individuals is nothing when compared to the thousands in the city."

He waited a moment before he continued, "As you well know, the city council brought in a pair of vampire hunters. They are being assisted by the widow of one of your vanquished foes. The hunter Grey Reinhart. I imagine she will encourage them to find you. Ianthe Reinhart has also been a thorn in my side for far too long. If you want to complete your conquest over Reinhart, I'll have her dragged out of her vampire-proof home."

Certainly, he would have preferred her spirit broken, but he doubted that would happen. Having her dead at least would help him make a false martyr of her. It could be twisted his way.

The mayor did not play at informality. That was smart of him. The golden eyes watched him over the brim of the cup as he spoke, but he was reading more than his lips. The Noble read his posture, and his body language with every syllable that left his throat.

Truce, he said.

Nicolai let the cup slip to the desk, and he set his fingers in a pyramid beneath his chin. He really did not deal with humans, but this one was offering him what he was after. Nicolai needed humans alive as sustenance. “You have power Harlan, over Celestine, but how can I be certain you have enough hold your people in thrall to me?” Would the humans not rebel immediately when the announcement was made? Humans had forgotten their rightful place as the serfs of the Nobility.

“I am not certain you are capable of providing me what you promise, but I will let you prove it,” what was the harm in it? “If you wish to be governor, you will show that you can govern. Come morning, you will make it clear to everyone in Celestine that you are just that—and I am their lord. You will rally your town to capture their hunters, and you will turn them over to my generals whom you met,” the werewolf and the siren. “And this Ianthe with them,” he waved dismissively.

So Grey had a widow? Pity for her. She’d stayed off his radar, up to now. He supposed he ought to finish it. Revenge was always annoying. “When I come into your city tomorrow night, I will expect to find it on its knees to serve me, or you shall explain…as every vassal must.” His lips curved into a dangerous smile. “Am I understood?”

Cavendish blanched a little at that. He thought that it would first be the citizens being broken before he would have to deal with telling them that they were now loyal to the Noble. But every citizen was stupid and a sheep. He only need tell them that the vampire hunters failed, that the handsome one had seduced Ianthe Reinhart into keeping them around, and they would realize what would be the best option. Giving in only meant one or two died. Fighting meant they all died.

"Stubborn and willful," he muttered, thinking about Ianthe for a moment.

Straightening, he nodded slightly, "For all the modern conveniences the city boasts, the people are still stupid and easily convinced. I'll have them ready to serve, thinking it is the only way to save their pathetic lives."

He bowed to the Noble, "I must go then. I'll have them delivered to you, all three of them, as soon as possible."

The other men with him bowed, obviously following Cavendish's lead, and they left the Noble alone, going out the way they came. He had twenty miles to think of a plan, and by the time he got back to the town, the sun almost rising, he had one. This would at least buy them some time, get the citizens behind them when he told them eventually that there was going to be a vampire Noble amongst them and they were to accept it.

Giving orders, Cavendish had his men go gather the cavalry, that would be the first step. He then went back to his own chateau, thinking of how he would move into Graywood Manor when Ianthe Reinhart was gone. It would be some added protection against the vampires in case Lafayette had any ideas about changing his mind.

Eventually, he was called back out at dawn, to head over to the manor. They forced the gates open, and charged up the drive to the front doors, pounding on them, demanding the vampire hunters. The cavalry and any others who came with them now believing that the hunters had caused the attack and had done nothing to stop it.

~~~~

It was dawn when Brandt came rushing into Ianthe's room.

"My lady!"

Waking, she groped for Grey's axe, "Brandt?"

"The cavalry is here with Cavendish, demanding the hunters. They are saying they let the vampires attack last night."

Lips pressed tightly together, her drowsiness gone, Ianthe got out of bed and wrapped herself in her beautiful dressing gown that went to the floor, made of dark purple silk and slipped into matching slippers. She then left her room and went to Oriana's room first.

Knocking gently, she then let herself in and shook the other woman awake. Ianthe was also aware and alert, in case Oriana thrashed or attack when she woke.

"Oriana, I know you have not rested enough, but you must get up."

Ianthe frowned, "I don't know what Cavendish's game is, but he has the cavalry here, demanding I turn you both over to them for not preventing the vampire attack. I am going to stall them while you and Mr. Aisling escape."

She pressed her lips together as she fought back the bitter disappointment of not being able to hunt Lafayette herself, of not getting to avenge her beloved husband and unborn child.

"I'll go get him. You get ready."

In the hallway, she sent Brandt to pack them provisions. Then Ianthe tapped gently on Silvio's door, opening it and leaning inside, "Mr. Aisling? You must get ready and flee. The mayor has turned the people against you and Oriana."

She winced slightly, "Now I must go convince them that you have already gone."

Moving to the doorway, she hesitated, as if wanting to say something, and then she changed her mind, heading for her front door. The long robe covered her amply, her long hair streaming down her back in loose curls as she headed outside. There was Cavendish and his armed men, and she easily turned on her chilly disposition.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"We want the vampire hunters," Cavendish replied. "They brought on that attack last night and did nothing about it."

"That's not true and you know it, Harlan."

"Give them up, Ianthe!" he demanded.

"They've already gone. Before dawn, they were on their way to hunt the Noble."

"Then you won't mind if we search the premises."

She stepped into his striding path, "I most certainly do. You will not charge through my home uninvited!"

Cavendish's hand snapped up, and he would have struck her if she had not moved out of the way. But he managed to grab her robe, and tossed her to two of his men. They grabbed her arms, and Ianthe struggled, but was unable to loosen the hold of the bruising hands. One of them forced a rag of some kind over her mouth, and she was overwhelmed with a smell of something sickly, strangely sweet. Ianthe swooned, and they pulled her over to a waiting prisoner wagon, setting her inside.

That was when the cavalry kicked open the doors to the manor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicolai Lafayette waited until the men were out of his presence, and out of his temporary home, before he rose and walked out of the room to speak to the siren, whom he knew lingered in the shadows. “Take Nyx and observe what this Cavendish does. Offer aid if he follows my commands,” with that, Lafayette would return to his room, and prepare for the day by starting to lock up, making it harder to enter his home during the day.

He would not be caught off guard.

~***~

Sleep did not greet Silvio, so he heard the crowd, and then he heard the rushing steps of Ianthe and others of the household. He let out an exasperated sigh. ‘So soon?’ Usually they waited to mob them until the job was done.

He put aside his book. He listened.

In the room nearby, Oriana had been sleeping, and she was none too pleased to be disturbed. She had started to wake when the woman moved to shake her, and she reacted poorly, reaching out with a knife to cut the offender even though she was partially aware of who it was. Fortunately, it seemed Ianthe was prepared, for she cut air, but glared fiercely up at the woman who disturbed her when she had been waking.

Ianthe’s words were troubling. Something about cavalry, stalling, and escaping. ‘We would never….’ Hand with knife lowered. Ianthe ran off, and Oriana sat up, stretched, and then forced herself out of bed.

She entered the hallway to hear Ianthe’s words to the door, behind which was Silvio. Oriana saw him hefting his sword onto his back already. His crimson eyes were narrowed on the floor, and he said nothing. He let her run off.

Oriana sauntered into his room. “You look unhappy.”

More than that. To say it simply, Silvio looked pissed. “You do hate it when people don’t let you contribute to plans.” At least, when he didn't know them. When they were unpredictable. Silvio threw on his coat.

“Get dressed.”

This would be the reason that Silvio would not like to work the woman, Ianthe, he decided. She acted too fast and with no input. Silvio and Oriana had been in these situations before, of being hunted while serving as hunters. “What are we doing?”

“Armory,” he stated coolly, and Oriana turned right back around to throw on her leathers, the light armor covering the bandages. She was out of her room as the kick of doors reached their ears, and they both glanced down the hallway. No, the enemy couldn’t be seen yet, but it would be. Oriana cast him a glance with a raised eyebrow.

‘Still?’

Only one solid nod, and he started to walk. Oriana reached for her blades, and twirled one around her fingers, prepared to throw it back when their foes caught up. ‘And will we save her?’ But Oriana did not ask. They were being silent now. One word, and the men might know where to find them. Right now, it was the men making the noise, and so they could be avoided.

Cavendish and the other men went through the house room by room, going up to the bedrooms first. They found the master suite, which obviously belonged to Ianthe, but then they found the other rooms, one bed slept in, the other not so much, but they were close, so they were certain that the hunters had been there. There were still fires burning in the fireplaces and the one bed was still somewhat warm. The men found Brandt downstairs in the kitchen, waiting quietly in a chair.

"Where are they, butler?" Cavendish asked.

"They left," Brandt replied quietly.

"One more chance," he offered. "Give them up. Your lady is gone. She is being turned over to the Noble as well. You can stay here, you know. Continue to work in this house. I will simply be the new occupant. And you will continue to be safe while the Noble picks and chooses from the people in this city."

Brandt clenched his teeth together, "I serve no one by my lady."

Frowning, Cavendish motioned to the men, and they moved to subdue Brandt with violence. The rest continued to search the house, looking for the hunters. There were more near the stables, waiting for them to come out for their horses, and more searching the grounds, in case they had fled on foot. None of them seemed to see the siren that was hovering in the shadows near the prisoner cart.

She had done as her master had asked. She had brought the werewolf with her, and they were watching, waiting. Ligeia looked into the cart and cooed softly, not at her beautiful clothing, but at her beauty. Of all she liked best, her favorite meals were beautiful young men and women. Beautiful children were an especial treat. She caressed the bars on the cage windows with those hideous hands, looking at the unconscious woman inside.

"Beautiful..." she crooned softly. "So beautiful. Perhaps he will let me have her. What does he need one more simpering human female for? He can have all he likes."

The armory was located within the home, though it was locked to them. Silvio looked over the locks, but then shook his head when Oriana shot him a questioning look. They had plenty of knowledge of breaking into Noble homes, “Too long,” he whispered. With others at their backs, it wasn’t worth it.

They’d open the chamber to them.

Oriana made a face, but then the red head turned back the direction they’d come. Her ears strained, but she didn’t speak until Silvio gave a nod, indicating their enemies were too far from them. “How would you like to play this now?” No doubt, Ianthe had been captured. “We’re not going to get paid.”

Silvio’s nose wrinkled. No, they probably weren’t going to get paid now, “We’ll take it from them later.” Take it from their corpses, take it from their houses—oh, they would be paid. This life was not cheap, and they were not chivalrous. “Let’s get rid of the insects before they make our true prey difficult.”

Oriana nodded, and followed Silvio’s lead as the dhampir listened and picked directions to bring them around, and above, Cavendish and his men. Throwing knives and swords were ready, though Silvio did not intend to engage in melee range unless it was necessary. From above, they observed the weapons that Cavendish and his men had, and kept their ears peeled.

Silvio did take a glance back as they passed near a window and his nose wrinkled. He could smell the disgusting scent of wet dog and moth-eaten clothe. He was for sure the one was a werewolf, but the other he was not so certain of. His attention was brought back to the present moment when Oriana knelt and lifted a dagger to aim at the back of Cavendish’s head—ever the one to go for the leader.

He put a hand on her shoulder, cautioning her, as he heard them start to speak.

~***~

Outside, Nyx paced. She was a creature of action, and she did not like this sitting around and guarding, especially when she could smell Noble blood in there. It was faint, but it was not unfamiliar. ‘Mayerling.’ She’d see them, met them, and did not like them. They tried to be truly noble, quoted sayings like Noblesse Oblige, but they were the same as any other Noble.

At least her creator, her beloved, was true to himself and what he was.

The woman in the cage did not interest her. She had a preference for things with more fat on them to flavor the meat and this woman lacked in that department.

It was still disturbing to watch the image of her master, as the Siren, caress the bars and speak of eating the woman. “I’m sure he will,” unless he wanted to make her a thrall to him, but there was no point with Grey Reinhart dead. She’d likely just be cleaned up, and their master wouldn’t care how it was done. Same with the hunters. He might have some special place for the dhampir, who denied his lineage, but that could not be counted on.

Nyx whined. She knew this was the important one, but she wanted to do more.

Cavendish stalked through the house, angry. It seemed like either Ianthe had been telling the truth, or they had fled the house while she was stalling them. A few of his men approached him, giving him the news that the hunters were nowhere to be found on the grounds, either. He grimaced, shaking his head a bit.

"Well who cares? Either they're really gone, or they'll come back looking for their money, and we'll turn them over to Lafayette then," he grumbled. "Besides, we can still give him the woman."

One of the men nodded, "She won't be waking any time soon. That's the strongest the apothecary had."

The mayor nodded slightly, "Good. Not as satisfying as belting her across the face myself, but if he wants to take care of that particular problem, he's more than welcome to. I knew it was smart, letting him know she was around."

"The kids'll miss her..."

Cavendish turned and slapped the man across the face, "Shut the hell up. They'll miss what I tell them to miss. Come on, we'll deliver her."

He turned and headed outside, not surprised to see the werewolf and the siren skulking around. A glimpse into the prison wagon showed that Ianthe was still lying there unconscious, unaware of the fate that was going to befall her. He cleared his throat a bit and addressed the two of them, considering Lafayette had said to turn them over to Nyx and Ligeia.

"The hunters have fled before we arrived. But this woman is the one he wants, the widow of the hunter, Grey Reinhart."

"We will take this one," Ligeia replied, looking to every man their like their heart's desire.

She moved to the wagon's driver's seat and crawled into it, creaking ever so slightly, though it was not the wood but her bones making that noise. She looked at the werewolf.

"Will you ride?"

Ligeia then glanced back at Cavendish, "Our master will return to your town at sundown. Have the townspeople prepared, or prepare to lose your head."

"I am well aware of what is at stake," Cavendish spat, glaring as Ligeia turned the horse to get it to start.

The hunters listened, and listened well, from their perch. The townsfolk could never hope to find them, considering what they were. Otherwise, they could have handled the vampire issue on their own. The pair followed them to the entrance, and listened there to what was told to Cavendish.

There was a wordless exchange, and then a deep sigh of long-suffering from Oriana, “Do you have the tracker on you?” She queried under her breath. He gave a nod, once, and so she gave a dismissive wave, before she sprinted off, on her tip toes. The attention was drawn to the front, so she would escape out the back and give pursuit.

Silvio jumped down from the main floor, landing silently near the entrance, and he calmly strolled through it as conversation ensued in front of him with the werewolf, Cavendish, and what he deduced on sight was a siren.

Someone saw him as the werewolf snorted at the idea of riding in the wagon, “No,” Nyx answered, as if the idea of riding in the wagon was repulsive.

It was then someone made a stifled sound, “T-the dhampir!” He pointed, and Nyx turned around as the wagon started to move.

Her eyes glinted with delight, though she said, “Not here, Cavendish!” she crowed, her disappointment at his ability clear. “Where’s the other, dhampir?”

Silvio didn’t answer. He grabbed his sword and pulled it from its sheathe. He knew he would not put up much of a fight, as he wanted to be taken along with Mrs. Reinhart, but he still had to put on a show. Some of the men who sold themselves to the vampire could die, and getting rid of the werewolf or siren would also be good. Less to deal with in the future.

Nyx bared fangs at the sight of the silver blade—for that’s what it was, silver. For a vampire hunter, he was prepared.

It was not the wolf he lunged towards, though, but Harlan himself, and he made a swipe at the man's neck to finish the job with him. He kept himself alert for interference, though, as he highly expected someone would get in his way. They usually did when leaders were at risk.

Cavendish was surprised when Aisling appeared, but then again, he was probably there to save Ianthe. Of course. The thought that the woman he lusted after was lusting after a thing like Aisling only made him more angry. He backed off, but it seemed that the dhampir was coming for him directly. It was his own men, his bodyguards that got in between the two of them. He drew the flintlock at his hip and took aim at the damn creature, but did not have a clear shot with his own men in the way.

They were attempting to disarm him, though he was a powerful fighter. The two bodyguards tried to get at Silvio from both sides, while the siren got down from her perch on the wagon. She would not pull back her hood, that was only for her master to see, but there was something heavy about the air, almost like it was drugged. Ligeia was letting loose with the siren's song, though there was no music to be heard. It was all magic and mind games, the bodyguards hearing what they wanted to hear, seeing what they wanted to see.

Reaching out for Silvio, she was singing just for him. A dhampir was harder to ensnare, undoubtedly, but she was going to call to him. Her song for him and him alone coaxed him into the prison wagon. The wagon had been vampire proofed, so there were crosses hanging inside. Mostly because it would be Nyx, Ligeia and the other non vampires that would remove the prisoners. She sang to him, hypnotic and desiring, to drop his weapons, leave them behind and get into the wagon.

Watching, Cavendish almost got into the wagon himself. Now he understood why Lafayette kept such a thing around. It would be such a boon to have at his disposal, but he doubted he could get the Noble to give her up. The siren was valuable as an ally, and obviously it liked something about the vampire to stick around with him. Thinking it was that Lafayette provided her with her favorite kind of food made him shudder a little, but he kept the flintlock poised and pointed at Aisling. If he tried to fight, he would put a silver bullet in him.

The first bodyguard that moved in the way was cut cleanly in half by the silver blade, as Silvio Aisling had to move out of the way of their attacks. He spun right around and cut another horizontally, tasting the blood in the air as it tainted it. He was glad again that he’d fed recently and was not so tempted. Bloodlust was a weakness.

The werewolf, Nyx, came to engage him then, shifting from human to a gigantic black beast, all fur and fury. He evaded the claws that came that his way and she landed roughly on the ground where he had stood, and then ducked under his next slash, and barreled forward. The dhampir evaded, stepping aside, and cut open her back just as the song reached his ears.

Dhampirs wanted many things, and a siren’s promises were intoxicating to them, as it was to many sorts of creatures. He had to step back and shake his head, remember himself. ‘You are meant to go down easy.’ There was a way. Heed the song, and go towards the cage, towards the promises in it. Yet, survival to live reminded him of the crosses when he took a step towards it, and he hesitated.

He was distracted, though, and Nyx was able to turn herself back to him by then, and tackle him. He struck the ground, and she pinned him, strength superior in this form. He let out a cry as he felt her break the wrist that held his blade, and then she pulled him right up by the collar of his shirt and thrust him towards the cage. He staggered, but then let his eyes glaze over to feign being caught under the spell of the siren, and he trudged the rest of the way towards the cage.

Nyx followed after him, and would slam it shut once he was in and sitting, nursing his wrist in his lap.

~***~

All of this, Oriana did not see. She made her priority a horse, for if she was going to keep a good pace she was going to need a horse. She did not, however, go for her own horse, but used the time she suspected Silvio would buy her to sprint back towards the town. ‘Need more cloaks.’ It was a passing thought as she stepped out into the sunlight and made her way towards the stables she had seen when doing her rounds of the town.

She’d buy a horse, and get on her way. She hoped that wouldn’t be too difficult, but she was prepared to steal one if necessary. For all she knew, Harlan Cavendish had truly turned the entire town on her and Silvio.

So, it was with some trepidation that she opened the door, heard the bell ring above her head, and approached the counter. She crossed her arms over the wooden counter, and waited to see what her fate was going to be in this location.

They had the dhampir in the wagon with the unconscious woman. Ligeia felt more like they were actually going to please Lafayette. The woman alone would have been a nice trinket, but not nearly all he desired. She let her song fade, and made certain the door was locked. Then she went to the werewolf and looked the wound over, though it did not seem to be serious to warrant her attention. Cavendish moved to the door of the wagon, trying to see if Aisling went to Ianthe right away or not. She had been in mourning for so long, and then rebuffed any suitors, it made him curious. Maybe she was just frigid.

"Take them," he said after a moment. "Lafayette will be more than happy with just the two of them."

Ligeia grimaced at his tone, but did not say anything. When her master was finished with the human who called himself governor, she would feed upon him. Perhaps at the same time as Nyx. Bespell him until he was half eaten, then let him feel and see the ruin of the werewolf. That seemed like a delightful way to end this pseudo partnership that was only to feed his vain need for power.

Without a word, she got back into the driver's perching seat, and moved the horses along so that they could get back to the bunker.

~~~~

The town stables were not particularly fancy, but then again, they did not have to be. The thick, tall figure behind the counter was the owner of the stables, and he supplied good horses, saved his money, and was saving up to buy his own nice house. The rich families of the town all came to him, because even if he had a shabby little shop, he also had the best horses around. By a long shot.

When the door opened, he looked up, his expression impossible to read. Mostly because he was slowly processing who the stranger was. He realized it was one of the two vampire hunters that Mrs. Reinhart had taken in, so that they could help the city. Of course, he heard what the mayor was saying about them. Everyone had before dawn even broke that morning. His lackeys made certain of it. But there was still something to consider, the fact that Mrs. Reinhart was the one who had taken them in.

"Wot you want?" he asked, looking her over again.

Nyx’s wound was not severe, but it was not healing. That was the only problem with silver. When it cut, the wound would not heal quickly. That was how it could kill werewolves. Still, Nyx rolled her shoulders and cracked her neck as she fell in line besides the wagon. She didn’t shift back to look humanoid, but retained the appearance of the beast.

She did not care if it unnerved the horses, or the townspeople, for that matter.

She cast a glance back at the dhampir, but he sat, still as the dead. He did not appear to register what was going on, but she did take into account the way metal seemed to be wrapping around his injured hand. She wrinkled her nose in disgust, and decided to fall back to stay besides the cage, to keep a better eye on his activities since it seemed he could heal faster than she expected.

Dhampirs could, of course, but it was always slower than their Noble counterparts. They weren’t as good as them, after all. That this one already seemed to be in the process of it, under the sun, was unnerving.

Indeed, Silvio was. Using the metal claw of the Mayerling, he was hastening his ability to heal. It only truly worked with injuries to his arms and hands, considering where the Mayerling talent manifested, but it worked nonetheless. He kept his eyes down and focused, and his hearing trained to the sounds of Ianthe’s breathing. He would know the moment she was awake.

~***~

Oriana studied the man and his accented voice, trying to read him, but she found it quite difficult. At least he had not reacted with hostility, which Oriana took to be a good sign. She answered his query, “I would like to purchase a horse.”

Hunters were nomads, and in some ways that allowed them to have spare change. Oriana certainly had it from the last hunt, since she hadn’t blown all of her money on frivolities or expensive hotels. No, she and Silvio were better at preserving their funds than that, even though they made quite a fortune at their job, “I can’t quite get to mine right now.” It was unlikely she could, with Cavendish’s men about.

She wouldn’t risk it.

The cart traveled out of the city, heading down the only road there was, though it turned off the path eventually and headed into the trees. There was a new path, but it was mostly overgrown, the mines having been abandoned long ago, thus no more feet traveling across them to whittle away at the grass and overgrowth. Ligeia was more comfortable in the forest, the trees shading them from the sun, and she sniffed the air.

She could tell that the dhampir was healing himself. She could also tell that the woman was still unconscious, drugged from one of the humans. That was too bad. She would have enjoyed bewitching her, pretty thing that she was. The dhampir was lovely, but she knew not to play with him. If he wanted to, he could try to escape, though it seemed like he had been captured trying to save the human woman.

With Nyx watching them, she went back to driving, the horses spooked, but calming when she "sang" to them. They calmed a bit then, and continued on, enthralled as other creatures would be. But eating animals was below her when she had other meat. Fresh meat. Meat screaming for her to stop. That was the most delicious meat of all. Animals did not do anything quite so charming.

Eventually, they got to the bunker, the siren pulling up close to the mouth of the mines. She stopped the wagon and got off, looking at her partner, "...You take the woman inside. Leave him caged."

In the wagon itself, Ianthe had yet to regain consciousness. There were times that she stirred, but whatever she had been drugged with had been enough to keep her under, coupled with her lack of sleep the night before.

~~~~

The shopkeeper looked her over again with his slow, curious nature, and then pursed his lips for a moment, "Aren't ye the hunter? Dontcha have a horse?"

It seemed like the right thing to ask, not aware that he was eating her precious time away. He did not want to sell his horses when he knew they already had them, and frankly, had no guarantee that it would be safe. His horses were beloved to him, even if some of them were cyborgs. It changed nothing. They were still his horses and he was only going to sell them to people who would treat them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back