• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Ice Casters of Albey [PRIVATE]

Skelo10

One Thousand Club
The wind was calm and the sun was out, making it a wonderful day. Jeremy flicked his hat upwards and sat up to look towards the window. The horses were at a moderate walking pace and they seemed to be in a dense, humid forest. Master Anu perked his eyes towards his apprentice.

"Are you alright, Jeremy?" Jeremy jumped, almost forgetting that he was not in the carriage alone. He grinned and turned towards his master. "I'm fine, just a bit anxious is all." Master Anu nodded knowledgeably and turned towards the window himself examining the environment around him. Emerisia was only a days trip away so they had lots of time considering registration started in two days. Master Anu raised his hand up to signal the driver to stop the cart.

"Come, we must see if you are really prepared for what's in store for you at the Caster Academy."

Last edited by a moderator:
Aislinn wandered through the forest, staying ahead of Master Jo despite the elderly woman's protests. "I'm fine, Master! I'm not a starving urchin anymore," she called back, smiling at the nickname. She'd come far since those dark days, but the affectionate title had stuck, serving as a constant reminder of what she'd overcome. Keen to explore the environment, Ash spurred her chestnut mare on, rounding a bend until only Jo's chastising remarks on her 'youthful foolishness' floated on the gentle breeze. She laughed and retorted with a playful, "You were young once too, Master! Don't let your bitter lips tame your youthful heart!"

With that, she kicked her horse into a casual canter, eyes closed as she enjoyed the wind in her hair and the crunch of crisp leaves underfoot. Birdsong filtered through the green canopy, giving the entire forest a mystical atmosphere. However, that was broken by the road that snaked through the forest. Immediately, she noticed a carriage parked along it in front of her. Curious, but wary, she pulled her mare - Fundamental - to a halt and crouched down behind a dense bush, stroking Fundamental's name to try and keep her quiet. "You never know, Fund. Better safe than sorry," she whispered, eying the carriage with growing curiosity.

Jeremy confusingly got out of the carriage. Master wanted to train at a time like this? Jeremy got into his standard fighting position as Master Anu lifted chunks of the dirt ground and calmly the them towards his apprentice. They were like floating pieces of bricks. Jeremy took a step back and put his hands in front of him.

Fire Shield! An intense blast of heat filled the area as a circular shield of fire encircled Jeremy, burning the pieces of dirt invading him.

Aislinn watched the two men with increasing interest. Having travelled with a Water Caster and being herself an apprentice Air Caster, she was well versed in those two arts, but Fire and Earth Casters were like unexplored lands. Sapphire blue eyes lit up as she watched flames flare to life and rocks rise from the ground. She'd always known about other types of Casters, of course, but seeing them in action... It almost felt like she was watching a film. Curious, she edged closer, pressing her face right against the brambles of the shrubbery. Fundamental, however, was less amused. The spark of fire and heat had frightened her; she stood with her ears flat and snorted softly. "Shhh," Ash soothed, petting her neck.

However, another spark of flame closer to their hiding place sent her rearing and whinnying. Crap! Hurriedly, Ash rose up, hands outstretched to try and clam Fundamental. "Shh, girl, shh! It's okay, Fund. It's okay, girl." Her horse calmed, though evidently still shaken up. Embarrassed, Ash turned to the duo, cheeks flushed. "Sorry about that. I didn't mean to interrupt."

@Endymion

"Grandfather..." Crystal called called upon the old man as he walked further ahead. They were on their way towards the carriage to take them to Emerisia, and from Arabella that would take two days to travel. "I'm afraid..." She said in a low sad tone. Her hood still over her head, something she never took off no matter what. Her grandfather, also her master walked towards her slowly and gave her shoulder a pat. His smile warm and comforting, something Crystal always loved about her grandfather.

"Don't be my little princess. You have prepared for this." He spoke in a low raspy voice, his smile endearing and cheerful. "You will be fine."

Crystal doubted it, she's not really good around people she doesn't know. Once she gets there what would happen? Discrimination? The hateful looks? Hearing judgements from others simply for being an ice caster? That would all just seem to unfair. But somehow her grandfather, master Ravin is right. She's been preparing herself for this, as much as she hated the idea she hoped she'll pull through.

"I'll try my best grandfather." She wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tight. The whole kingdom of Arabella joined together in front of the castle as they bid their princess farewell. With one last kiss from her mother and father, she waved at the citizens and entered the carriage with her master... and headed towards her destiny.

Master Anu calmly turned around and let his dark brown robe cover his arms again. He wasn't smiling which was odd because he was mostly a cheery man. He tipped his glasses up and squinted.

"I sense the presence of an Air Caster." Jeremy snorted. "Air Caster's are la-ame." He grinned and looked at the grill in amusement. Master Anu's face reddened. "Excuse the rudeness of my apprentice. If you wish to watch us spar, feel free." He smiled gently.

Aislinn fixed the boy with an amused look. "Cocky much?" she called out, still patting Fundamental's neck soothingly. It was just a Master and his apprentice, most likely on their way to the Academy as well. They were probably no harm and she felt her courage surge. Fearlessly, she approached the duo, surefooted and eager. A few feet from them, she gave an awkward curtsy, like she'd seen so many women do back in the old days and said, "Apology accepted, but please, allow me to take your apprentice in a sparring match. I'd like to prove to him just how 'la-ame' Air Casters are." She cast a sideways glance at the boy, a mischievous smile on her lips. Oh, Jo is so going to kill me.

@Endymion

The days were shorter in Emerisia compared to those back in the Aeres'Andes, while the nights were seemingly endless. He didn't know if it was because of the anxiety of having less than two days left to himself or because of the letter he received before his departure for Albey, but Lennox had been having a hard time catching any sleep as of late. As excited as he was to be attending the Caster Academy, he couldn't quite shake off the feeling of rejection, even after having been accepted -invited, really- to join this year's junior echelon. It was one thing to fantasize about going, but it was another to actually have to go. Nonetheless, Lennox's initial feeling toward the situation still stood. He was glad to be able to attend the academy, especially considering his father's excitement with his acceptance. But with the experience he'd had with the public, his own excitement varied.

Lazily slumping down into the wooden chair posted beside his bed, Lennox glared thoughtfully at the torn envelope set out on his nightstand. 16 years of living with the Meijoris' and this was the first time he'd ever gotten anything indicating his biological parents' living presence. He always knew Cyprus stayed in contact, but he couldn't help but wonder why... why of all times, now? Why not earlier? Lennox was far past the point of anger; he was more curious than anything. But now was not the time to be sleuthing and questioning his family affairs. Anymore worrying and he'd strain his brain. Taking in a deep breath, Lennox kicked out his feet and stood himself up before stepping out into the hall and retreating for the kitchen. Maybe a snack would get his mind off of things. "Fina? Is Soren out yet?" He called out, his voice reverberating around the house as he sauntered his way down the stairs. "Ah! Afternoon, Lennox. About time you got up. Uh... Ren? Yeah, he just left. Why?" Seraphina, his eldest sister, asked as she washed off her hands in the kitchen sink and pulled out a chopping board.

It was nearing lunch and Lennox just barely got up for breakfast. Yup! This was a normal routine, as pathetic as it was. But to be quite honest, he worked best at night. Sadly that would soon have to change once in the academy walls. "You know I can't stand the sight of that bastard. I came here to subside my appetite, not lose it." He huffed with a light laugh as he leaned against the kitchen counter and picked an apple from the bushel set out in front of him. Receiving a less than amused deadpan from Seraphina in turn, Lennox shrugged as he took a bite. "Come on, that isn't nice. He's going to be around a lot more, so get used to it." She urged softly as she commenced the dicing of a few carrots. "I know, but that doesn't mean I have to like it." Rolling his eyes, he veered around her and peeked out the curtained window in search of any of the others.

Having been awake the majority of the morning, he over heard his brothers saying they'd be out in the markets that day, but for them to be gone that long was a bit strange. Clearly they were anywhere but the markets. "Well, lucky for you, you won't have to see him for a long while." She snorted a quiet laugh, her eyes glued to the chopping board as she continued with the greens. "Yes, but I'd like to come visit my sister...and niece during the holidays." Gesturing toward Seraphina's swollen, pregnant stomach, Lennox helped himself onto the counter with a hop as he smirked playfully to match her impish grin. "Don't be such a grouch. You're visiting either way. There'll be no opposing."

Master Anu sidestepped and gestured his hand out as to let her go ahead. Jeremy pouted.

"You're going to regret this.. whatever your name is." Jeremy stepped up and simply stood up in no position. His fists lit up in flames, licking the last bit of cool air around him.

Aislinn barked out a harsh laughter. "No, what I'm going to do is change your petty opinions about Air Casters," she said, smirking confidently. Despite her own anxiety at facing a foe with magic she'd never been exposed to before, she chanted Master Jo's warnings in her head like a mantra. Never show fear. Do not appear insecure, Aislinn.

Without warning, she flicked her hand forward, sending a blade of air slicing towards the boy. Make the first move. Do not wait to be attacked. She didn't wait to see his counter, following up directly with a punch to the jaw.

@Endymion

Jeremy leaped back at the punch, feeling his cheek for a bruise. It only stung but he would manage. He stood up, contemplating his next move. I barely managed to dodge that attack because I couldn't see it that well. Unless-

Jeremy created rings of fire around his body. They quickly began to expand. The first ring was quite close to him, the second going a bit further out and the last one nearly touching his opponent. He had created a three-layered shield. Jeremy raised his arms and covered his chest with his arms in an 'X' position. The rings of fire blew outwards in every direction. If Jeremy got this right, the smoke from the attack would help him when the girl attacked again.

Aislinn gasped at the rings of fire, one so close it burnt stray strands of her hair. Smoke billowed into her lungs, nearly choking her and she hacked into a series of coughs. With an almost feral growl, the young woman fell back, concentrating on thoughts of strong, fierce winds. For a moment, she was well outside his range of attack. Ash paused, giving thought to her strategy and grinned when it formed. Let's see you dodge this. As a mere apprentice, she wasn't strong enough for drastic attacks like Master Jo could do, but she could string together small efforts for something spectacular. Focusing on swirling currents of wind, she summoned a small whirlwind around the boy and then kicked several air blades into the air towards him. Caught in the motion of the tornado, they swirled around him like a prison. Ash smiled, sparing a glance at his Master to see his reaction.

@Endymion

Jeremy was expecting a straight forward attack but suddenly a tornado-like cage formed around him. Before he could react to it, he was attacked by fierce winds. Jeremy flew back, slamming his body onto the muddy ground. Master Anu raised his eyebrow and looked at the girl.

"Who taught you that? I recognize the style very much." Jeremy snorted and slowly got back up, wiping the dirt off his face and blog away from his nose. "I'm not done yet, Master!" Master Anu in one swift motion grabbed Jeremy's arm and flipped him onto the ground. He stood up and smiled at the girl.

@Zylvia

"Who do you think?" A voice called out from the shadows of the forest, sounding mildly amused and irritated. Slowly, a dappled stallion emerged from the dense trees, carrying a frail, elderly old woman. To eyes that didn't recognise her, she appeared unassuming, certainly not capable of vast damage and destruction. "It's been a while, Anu. I didn't realise you'd taken on an apprentice." She scrutinised the boy from head to toe. Despite her harsh gaze and searing tone, kindness lurked in her eyes. "He has much to learn, Anu. Much. But also great potential. I can see why you took him in."

With a lingering stare at Jeremy, she turned to her own apprentice with a scowl. "You wild child! Running off like that and starting fights. You remind me of when I was young - and that's not a compliment." The elderly woman slowly broke into a smile, and ruffled Aislinn's hair. "But I'm proud of you. You handled yourself well enough. As expected of my apprentice, of course." Jo chuckled, and turned back to Anu. "Are you heading to the Academy as well?"

@Endymion

Jeremy glared at the woman. Master Anu chuckled at Jeremy's displeasure and turned his head towards Jo.

"You're apprentice is quite something too. Oh and yes, I am headed for the academy. Then I have to make a journey to the Kiramone Kingdom to visit King Ea. I'm going to resume my position in the Council of Three."

@Zylvia

Jo positively beamed with pride at Anu's compliment of Aislinn. After all, it wasn't every day a member of the Council of Three appreciated your apprentice's skills. "Well, since we also happen to be headed to the Academy, why don't we travel together? It has been a long time since I walked in your company. Let us relive old times." She smiled and kicked her horse on. "We have much to talk of."

----------------------

Aislinn rolled her eyes as the two adults talked and walked over to the fallen boy with a gaze that said what-did-I-tell-you? She extended her hand and smiled broadly. "Peace offering," she said, brushing singed hair out of her face. "I told you I'd make you rethink your views about Air Casters. Still think we're losers?" She chuckled.

@Endymion

Jeremy grinned.

"Yep. The majority of them at least." He nodded and took her hand to stand up. He brushed the dirt of his knees. "The name is Jeremy, what's yours?"

----

Master Anu smiled at Jo. It had been a while.

"Jo there is something really important I need to tell you." He readied the horses and gestured for the woman to enter the carriage to talk.

@Zylvia

Aislinn faked a hurt expression, pressing her hand right up against her heart. "That's hurtful," she muttered, breaking out into a mischievous smirk. "I'll take you on again anytime. Just tell me when you want your ass handed back to you." She laughed lightly, playful and cheery despite the confidence and pride she put on for show. Walking back to her beloved horse, the young woman gazed regretfully at the burnt hair in front of her eyes and sighed. "Thanks for that, by the way. Jo's finally going to get to gloat about how much prettier she is than me." She took hold of the reins and gave Fundamental a loving pat. "But she deserves to. I'd go bald for her if it'd make her smile." Ash grinned at the thought. "Maybe I'll do it before I kick the bucket." Turning back to Jeremy, she said, "Oh, and the name's Aislinn. But call me Ash."

--------------------

Jo frowned, not liking the tone of Anu's voice. Stiff and fierce as usual, she strode into the carriage wordlessly and sat down. "I'm listening," she said, letting concern filter into her usually impatient voice.

@Endymion

Jeremy snorted and sat down on a tree lump. "Looks like my master has some private business to attend to so I guess we could.. give it another go?" He played with his fingers nervously.

----

Master Anu cleared his throat. "As you may or may not know, they have anointed an Ice Caster in the CoT. I've heard some disturbing rumours that Marduk plans to kill her. Assassinate, if you will. I wouldn't doubt it for the world but what worries me most is that Marduk and the Ice Caster will be at the academy together at the end of the week. Also, now that I have returned he will try his best to put his plan in motion."

Aislinn's eyes lit up at his suggestion. Wordlessly, she took the reins and bridle off Fundamental and patted her neck affectionately. "Go roam, girl. You deserve it." She turned back to Jeremy with currents of air already swirling around her outstretched hands and recited Master Jo's third rule: "If you have the element of surprise, use it!" She lunged forward, swinging her hands as though she carried a whip made of wind.

---------------------

Jo listened attentively, eyes bright with cunning and life despite her old age. She'd heard plenty about the Ice Casters - everyone in the country had - but Jo shared Anu's unjudgemental way of thinking. After all, her very own Master had been an Ice Caster. As Anu talked, her frown deepened, until it looked like it had been carved into her wrinkled face. "Well..." she said at last, letting the silence grow uncomfortable. "This is troubling news, Anu. I always knew Marduk was a shady bastard - forgive the pun." She gazed out the window, casually noting Ash's improper stance and far too careless movements. She turned back to Anu with troubled eyes, looking like she'd aged in a manner of minutes. "Tell me what you plan to do about it, Anu. I will help you as best I can. Also, we should hurry the training of our apprentices. If Marduk succeeds, of which there is a very high probability, it will cast the Academy into chaos. I have no wish for my apprentice to suffer - nor yours."

@Endymion

Jeremy swiftly dodged it. Instead of using his magic, he slammed a kick into Ash's back.

---

"Well since I left, I no longer have any higher authority over Marduk. If his plan continues, this will start a WAR. I have a feeling he has some Dark Caster's under his control. If only King Ea was not so clueless- on the day that Marduk comes, will you accompany me at the academy? Just to make sure he doesn't try anything funny."

@Zylvia

Ash felt the blow with a quiet intensity. She slammed into the ground with a low grunt, long ago having learnt to hide her pain. Blinking away the stars in her vision, she stood up on scraped legs, wiped the blood from her busted lip and smirked. "That was a good one," she admitted, feeling adrenaline pump through her. "Now we're talkin'." Eager for more, she lurched forward, feinting to the right before jabbing her hand into his right side and then following up with a knee to the face. She was being harsh, she knew, but Jo had always taught her to 'go big or go home.'

---------------

Jo nods, gazing into Anu's eyes sincerely. "If I haven't kicked the bucket by then, I shall be more than happy to accompany you to the Academy. And kick some Marduk ass. You know he's always trodden on my nerves. Foolish bastard." Even now, Jo still retained her sharp tongue and impulsiveness - traits she'd passed onto her apprentice. More serious, she turned to the man. "Old friend, what happens if King Ea does not believe us? What will you do in the face of war? You know Dark Casters... They're not like us. They are not misunderstood like Ice Casters. You and me ... We've both seen what they're capable of."

@Endymion

Jeremy took steps back, recovering from the two blows. He raised his hands right in front of him and a column of hot flames spit out towards Ash.

---

"Yes. I already have realized that King Ea would not believe us. Marduk is a cunning snake- everyone believes he is a nice person. They all support him because he is very powerful. No, what I need you to do is watch what Marduk does careful and see if he tries to hurt Tiamat (Ice Caster). I need to find a way in the meantime to find out specifically what his plan is. Try to stall him as long as possible, so I can retrieve some information."

Ash barely had time to throw her arms out in front of her before flames licked her forearms, eating away at the flesh. She screamed in pain, instinctively sending vicious winds about her. Luckily, they were strong enough to blow the fire out, but she couldn't help but wonder how she would overcome a stronger Fire Caster. Oxygen would only fuel the flames. Deciding she'd focus on that later, Aislinn spared a glance at her arms - angry red and blistered from the heat. It really hurt, but there was no time to be a wimp now. Letting the air under her feet, she projected herself forward, ramming into Jeremy's stomach and lashing out with blades of air. She sliced his cheek and chest and then withdrew, wary of close proximity with him. Advantage one: I'm a better long-ranged fighter.

----------------------

Jo nodded in understanding. "Yeah, I hear you, old friend." She smiled, watching the two apprentices brawl. "I guess this is our final adventure together. Just like the old days."

@Endymion

When Jeremy saw her arm, he wanted to apologize, but he was already hit. He felt his cheek get cut and his chest. Jeremy helplessly fell to the ground the dirt crawling it's way into the wound. One of the blades of air cut a nearby tree and it collapsed right beside him. After a few seconds, he painfully made it to his feet. He was about to say something, but he coughed out a little blood. His fists were covered in flames again and he raised them in front of him. Instead of a column of flame, he created a shield made of a thin layer of fire. He couldn't so much, the wound in his chest had cut deep.

---

"Last? I'm sure that we will meet after this." Worry shadowed over Anu's face.

@Zylvia

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back