• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Fine Until You

Caroline could feel Arthur tense next to her, Knew quickly she had said the wrong thing and found herself quickly averting her gaze. But, Arthur did focus on the topic. Instead focused on the idea of them sticking around for a few days. Something that Caroline was glad for. They'd stick around for a few days, Not have to worry about her father. and things would be okay! Though Caroline paused at the mention of a girly day. She didn't really know Mavis well, So them spending girl time together might just be awkward. But she was still willing to try. Giving a small nod. Surely things would be okay, And if things got awkward, Caroline figured she could just get Mavis talking about her cats to keep them busy.

Caroline then felt her cheeks turning red at his comment. Keeping her gaze averted. "I'm the lucky one. I... I haven't been good to you though. " Her thoughts of course going back to Lance as well as this pregnancy. It was possible of course that Arthur was the father. But... The chances felt low. The timing seemed very much to lean towards it being Lance's. And that was a uncomfortable thought. It was her duty to have a heir. But... If this child was a boy. It wouldn't be the true heir. Could they keep this lie if that was the case?

Such thoughts would only bring down the mood, Things were good right now. And Caroline didn't want to ruin it. So, She leaned forward and gave him a small kiss. Pausing though for a moment, Looking down to his neck and deciding to tease. "Tomorrow, If you'd like I can put some concealer on your neck. I fear I might have left some marks. " She teased playfully. Though he might not be that worried about covering up such things.

Keeping Caroline from blaming herself was an ever waging war. Arthur found it so difficult, nigh on impossible, to get her to believe that some things were his fault. He tried and tried, didn’t want to give in but sometimes it was hard when there was no end in sight. Caroline had been good to him, maybe she didn’t see it but she was accepting, or at least she wasn't horrible to him for things he’d done, even if he deserved it. The issue of Morgan and the baby had been softened by Caroline’s support and he knew he’d betrayed her, unmistakably had endangered her standing and reputation but she didnt abandon him through it and for that he was eternally grateful and would forever be in her debt, not mentioning the smaller things she’d done for him. Arthur was the one that hadn’t been good but he didn’t speak thag this time, it was too raw right now for him to say it, worried it might all come spilling out as imagined if the previous night flashed through his mind, the others he’d cheated on her with, Silas and the irresistibly pull there.

Arthur reached a hand up, leaving her side be, and pressed it to his neck, a little surprised at it. He guessed he should’ve exepected some marks and it wouldnt be the first time, Ethan and left some marks, Galehaut had left a lot, but this was Caroline, he didn’t have to hide these so he pushed down his shame again and smiled.”I’d rather show them off” he decided, it’d be nice for some physical evidence, might reassure the knights and others, Jon might gossip about it. “Perhaps I should’ve give some so we match?” Arthur breathed, goijg to move so that his body covered hers, pressing his lips to her neck, a mixture of hungry and teasing, at least comfortable enough to play along for now, trying to keep in line with how he’d acted, the awkwardness would probably come tomorrow but for now he could play along, it was teasing anyway, playful, that was easier than smoky intensity.

Caroline couldn't help but blink in surprise at Arthur's statement. Cheeks turning a shade of red. Oh, What was the others going to think? But she wasn't given time to think about that. As Arthur seemed to soon get another idea. A soft squeak came from her as he was ontop of her. Soon squawking. "Arthur! That tickles! " She was saying. Laughter coming from her as she attempted to push him off of her. Though frankly it was unlikely she was going to be able to get him off unless he wanted to move. He was well built! Tough, And Caroline suddenly had a thought.

Biting her lip, She then suggested. "Ya know Arthur, If we're going to stay here for a few days. Maybe you could teach me some self defense while we're here. " Rayner would not approve. But he wasn't here. Mavis and Percival likely wouldn't tell on them. And perhaps they could talk Jon into keeping quiet. It might be a good skill to learn. Heck, Maybe Arthur could even teach Mavis a bit. Considering how isolated she was. She could use being able to defend herself. It would be a good bit of bonding time!

(I was thinking after this, Maybe we could time skip to the next day maybe? )

He grinned against her skin as she laughed, glad he could get such a sound out of her. Things between them felt much better already. Her hands didn’t do much, Arthur was not removed as he worked on her neck, his mass a bit too much for her to shift but physical power wasn't everything, her words had an effect. He paused and pulled away, looking down at her thoughtfully from where he now straddled her. He hadn’t expected that to come out of her mouth. He watched her in contemplation as he processed the fact that Caroline was suggesting they defy her father. Rayner hadn’t wanted Caroline trained, didn’t want her doing unladylike things but personally Arthur thought it might be good for her. She didn’t have to become a knight or the world’s best fighter but it was only practical that she learned to defend herself, especially since she had been known to slip off on her own before.

He nodded and let his face split into a grin. ”that Sounds like a good idea” he agreed and leant down to kiss her lips one more time before collapsing back down next to her in the bed. “I’m not sure how good a teacher I am but I’ll certainly try” He promised, mind already whirring about what he could show her, what might be useful. Yeah, things really were picking up between them. “ better Get some rest then, its A lot harder to fight with a tired body” he warned and went to reach his arm out to pull her close so they could get back to cuddling and hopefully sleeping too. The smell fo Caroline’s hair was a,way soothing and he quite enjoy nestling his head in the crook of her neck when she gave him the chance, when he could feel her warmth as if it were his own.

(yeah go for it, i was going suggest it myself actually)

(Gotcha! )

The next day soon was coming around. Caroline soon stirring next to her husband. But unlike the previous night, Caroline did not feel so playful. No, Instead, She felt ill. The room felt cold and Caroline found herself pulling the blanket up over her more. As she pressed close to Arthur. But it didn't feel as if it helped much. No, She was still cold, Her stomach hurt and she felt exhausted. But... Caroline couldn't exactly lay in bed all day. Arthur had seemed rather happy at the idea of training her. His smiling had been cute! She didn't exactly want to let him down. So she forced herself to try and push such feelings aside.

Sitting up, Caroline went to climb out of bed. Attempting to not wake Arthur. Laying in bed wasn't doing her any good and she perhaps should get ready for the day. So she moved to start getting ready. She wasn't the only one to have stirred though. She could already hear shuffling in the hallway outside. Likely Mavis or one of the knights was already awake. Or maybe it was one of the cats? Yeah, That seemed likely. It was only confirmed when she heard the sound of scratching at the door.

Curiously, Caroline decided to walk towards the door and open it. And just as expected. Outside the room was a small tan cat. Which. When the door opened, It marched in happily. Causing Caroline's expression to turn to one of amusement. Despite her ill feeling. The cats around here were cute. And this one was soon marching towards the bed. Hopping up on it before moving towards Arthur. Caroline figured it was simply wanting to cuddle in the bed with him. But no. As the animal walked right towards Arthur's face and was then attempting to nip him on his nose.

Arthur slept soundly, soothed by Caroline’s warmth and tuckered out from their night. So, he didn’t wake as Caroline climbed out of bed, only murmured softly in his sleep and curled tighter, pulling the blankets closer around himself to replace the lost heat of his wife. Perhaps one of the cats would provide Arrhur with some companionship instead? No, it seemed that Mavis’ warning had come true. Arthur jerked awake, and coming up to remove his attacker and pausing in surprise as it met fur. He pulled away the cat, who must be potato, with a frown. He reached a hand up to rub his poor nose and realised that he was now the sole occupier of the bed.

”Caroline?” He called, still groggy and squinting with the residual sleepiness. Being startled awake sometime made the tiredness settle heavier into his bones, his body trying to cling to rest and force him back into that state. He resisted though and rubbed his eyes, sitting up. “Bad potato” he scolded but there wasn’t really any conviction in his voice, they’d been warned and not heeded it. “Were you planning to leave without me?” he asked Caroline, what Was she doing up? Couldn’t she come back to bed and They just cuddle again?

What time even was it? Arthur could happily lay in bed a while longer snd usually he was fine with rising early, perhaps it was the drug taking it out of him? The cold didn’t help obviously but he was growing a bit used to it at least. It felt like no one else would be awake at this hour though, but knights did get up early, still, there wasn’t much danger out here surely? Except nose biting cats of course.

Arthur was being startled awake, And Caroline couldn't help but feel a bit bad. Potato for his part showed no remorse. Simply purred and attempted to playfully bat at Arthur with his paw. Even when being scolded. But, Arthur was soon more focused on his wife. And Caroline looked a bit sheepish. "No, I.. Was just getting ready for the day. And he was scratching at the door. " She tried to explain. Walking back towards her husband and climbing into bed once again. Perhaps sleep for a little while longer would not be so bad. Caroline could see daylight from the window. But it was entirely possible the others would be sleeping in as well.

Back in bed, Caroline was once more aware of her own tiredness. Why did it still feel like it was freezing? Curling up close to Arthur. She reached forward to gently pet the cat. Though the animal didn't seem much interested in cuddles. Instead, It seemed to be trying to pounce Arthur's foot. And well, Atleast it was a amusing sight. Might make it difficult to get anymore sleep if they left the cat in the room!

Caroline then mused. "Maybe we should kick this one out and find one more willing to cuddle. " She said softly. Though, It was pretty cute. Caroline though soon found herself tensing. Gosh, She felt like she was going to vomit. Maybe she should go ahead towards the bathroom just in case? Or find herself a bucket. One of the two!

Getting ready for the day? It sort of sounded like she planned to leave him in this room and go about her day without him, not that he didn’t think she was entitled to do som he just would’ve thought maybe she’d wake him, say good morning or something. At least she came back for a cuddle and Arthur put his arm around her, that affection at least not something he ever had to fake. Potato’s purrs were also nice, the attacking of his foot less so but he wouldn’t begrudge the cat that, wiggling his foot slightly for the creature, a small smile of amusement on his face.

”I dunno. He’s pretty cute” Arthur admitted, even if he was a bit violent. This little thing had attacked him more than Silas’ cheetah! But with a cheetah it was a bit more dangerous to be attacked so it was more vital for it to be well trained. Arthur felt quite relaxed And sleepy with his wife back in bed with him, until he felt her tense up and he frowned, looking at her curiously. What was she thinking that made her do that? From his own experience he knew it was never anything good that made one’s body tense like that.

”are you okay?” He asked softly, not sure if she’d tell him if something was wrong, she often had brushed things off in the past but he hoped she’d be honest, that maybe he could help. Had he done something to cause it? Whatever it was, it was already stressing him out and his tiredness was quickly receding to be replaced by worry. “You know you can talk to me” he reassured her, she could tell him anything she wanted, but that was the problem, it was down tk what she wanted and she might not want to share much.

Caroline blinked at Arthur's question. At first waving her hand dismissively. "I'm okay." She started. But Arthur's next words gave her pause. Keeping her gaze averted for a few moments in thought. Before finally confessing. "I just.. I'm feeling a bit sick." That likely wasn't surprising. Often Caroline seemed to become sick. Her rushing off to vomit somewhere wasn't that uncommon these days. But frankly today Caroline just felt weak. Exhausted. She knew she had suggested they go practice self defense. But frankly she wasn't feeling up to it. Not that she planned on saying that aloud.

Caroline then murmured softly. "I'm sure it'll pass soon. " Pulling the blanket a bit more over herself. She supposed she shouldn't have been surprised. She'd heard of many pregnant women being sick often. But She didn't much like the feeling. Oh, How much longer of this did she have? A long time Caroline imagined. What happened when this child was born... If it was Lance's? Caroline didn't know and that was a scary thought. Maybe that was why she was sick so much? It was some sort of punishment for being with Lance? Except... Caroline wasn't sure she believed in such things.

Caroline then after a moment confessed. "I... I don't know what I'll do when its actually here. " Even forgetting the chances of it being Lance's. Taking care of a baby? Caroline didn't feel ready. But well, She had servants that would be eager to help. So as bad as it might be to say. Caroline supposed she didn't have to be that involved with the kid. Though she probably should be.

Had Caroline planned to lie to him? To not tell him what was going on? He didn’t like that thought but she was admitting that she didn’t feel the greatest, even if not straight away. Her feeling sick wasn’t unheard of, although normally when she felt sick she was already throwing up. Was this something different? Perhaps it was illness rather than morning sickness? Caroline really hadn’t given him a lot of information to go off of so he guessed he couldn’t say. She wasn’t rushing off to the bathroom though so maybe it wasn’t as extreme as morning sickness?

Arthur looked at her in sympathy as she voiced her doubts and he pressed a gentle hand against her stomach. ”we’ll love it and look after it“ he explained, regardless of who the father was. “This is why I wanted us to babysit Theo” he told her “to give us a bit of experience, I know you don’t seem keen but it’s better we learn a bit now than be completely clueless when this baby shows up” Nkt that Arthur figured they’d be totally useless, he knew some things just hadn’t necessarily put them into practice. And yes they had servants who’d help out and her ladies and he was sure his mother would love to give them some advice but Arthur wasn’t too keen on passing this child off to be raised by servants and when they’d talked about it before Caroline hadn’t been either although as the time neared he guessed fear could easily set in and change her mind. But at the very least Arthur felt they owed it to Lance, as he felt it was most likely his friend’s baby, to be there in this child’s life since he couldn’t be.

”why don’t we get up and see if Mavis has anything which might make you feel better?” He suggested, maybe she had some herbs or tea which might act as medicine for Caroline. “Unless you’d rather stay in bed?” He offered, if she was feeling too ill to go wandering about then he could ask Mavis on his own. He went to press an adoring kiss to her forehead and brushed a thumb against her cheek with a soft smile. “Whatever my princess wants, she shall get” he murmured, he didn’t mind her missing a day Of self defence, he just wanted her to be well but he’d not thought that far ahead yet. He pulled away, leaving her in the bed for now as he went to get dressed, he could hardly knock on Mavis’ door still naked! Hopefully he wouldn’t be waking her but she seemed nice, would likely understand his concern for Caroline and her well-being.

(Just giving a heads up! I'm gonna be a bit busy this week. So I likely won't post much for a bit. :) )

Caroline couldn't help but feel her cheeks heat up a bit at Arthur's touch. It was just.. Sweet. He was pointing out they probably should practice with Theo, And well.. He was right. They could use the practice. But Caroline still felt nervous. She then murmured softly. "I.. Okay, But you'll be there too watching her? Right? " They could watch Theo together. Such would be easier then if she was on her own. Frankly she wasn't ready to care for a baby by herself! Wouldn't know what to do. And yeah, She'd have her servants. But she'd rather it be Arthur by her side.

Arthur then was being even sweeter as he kept talking. The kiss was sweet and Caroline felt even more flustered. Murmuring softly. "I-I can come with you. We.. I.. " She found herself fumbling a bit for a response. Gosh, She wasn't used to this from Arthur. But... It was nice. Him being so sweet and close. She liked it. But, They still needed to get ready for the day. Thus, Caroline pulled her gaze away. Going to get up and get more properly dressed.

It wasn't the easiest getting ready without her servants. But Caroline didn't need to dress very fancy out here. Thus, Soon enough she was ready. Though she didn't feel any better. Frankly she was wishing she took Arthur up on his offer of letting her stay in bed. But.. Maybe walking around would do her some good. So she glanced towards Arthur to make sure he was ready. Before then heading towards the door. Hopefully Mavis wouldn't be too hard to find!

(Okay)

”of course I’ll be there too” Arthur agreed, he‘d had no plans to leave her alone with baby Theo. They both needed the experience and they also needed to practice parenting together, they’d have to agree on how to raise this child which might be even harder when Lance interjected with his opinion which Arthur was sure he would at some point. It wasn’t going to be the easiest but he figured no one thought raising a child was a walk in the park. Plus, it’s not like the task ever ended. Sure they wouldn’t always be a bay but then they’d be a toddler and a young child then a teenager and even as an adult they’d still be involved in their life.

Arthur seemed to have a hit a sweet spot of getting her flustered and be smiled to himself as she trailed off, unable to fully articulate whatever she was thinking and feeling. It seemed that she’d chosen to come with rather than stay in bed. It’d be nice to have company but he didn’t want it if it was at her own detriment so he’d have to keep an eye on her and possibly send her back to bed if it looked like she was getting worse. Arthur finished getting dressed and went to follow Caroline out the door, offering her his arm so she could use him as support if she wanted and so he could keep her close.

So, where was Mavis? Would she be bustling about? Or would she still be in bed? And which one was her room if that was the case? Arthur figured she could still be in bed, surely Mavis didn’t have much need to rise early but she did have guests so perhaps that had prompted her to do so. Arthur walked down the corridor looking at the doors curiously. Presumably Mavis would be in the master bedroom but he wasn’t sure how easy it would be to tell which room that was from the outside. Maybe there’s be a gathering of cats waiting there for her? Although given her comment yesterday Arthur could believe that she slept with the door open, again she lived on her own so she had little need for privacy like that.

Caroline found herself smiling as she took Arthur's arm. This was nice, It.. They felt like a proper couple. Well, Caroline supposed they were, They were married after all! But... This was far more loving then usual and Caroline kept close to Arthur. The two setting out to find Mavis. Who luckily wasn't that hard to seek out. It seemed they weren't the only ones trying to reach her! As, Outside of one of the doors was a small cluster of cats. A few meowing, One pawing at the door, And well... Caroline figured the felines likely were hungry. Though most scurried off at the sight of Caroline and Arthur. A few still lingered, Begging at the door. And one decided to change tactics. Scurrying between Caroline and Arthur's feet. Expectant meows coming from it.

It was actually a bit amusing. Though Caroline ignored the animals pleas for food. Instead looking to Arthur and saying. "I suppose she's in there. " She mused. Biting her lip for a moment before stepping closer and knocking. Hopefully they weren't disturbing Mavis too much! It took a few moments but eventually. Caroline heard the sound of the door opening. And thus there was Mavis! She was wearing just a simple nightgown. Seeming a bit surprised to see the royal couple so early. Beginning. "Oh, Goodmorning. I figured you'd both still be asleep for a while longer! " Her expression then turned to a frown as she asked. "You aren't planning to leave already? Are you?" She questioned. Looking between them.

Luckily, Caroline was shaking her head. Explaining. "No- I just.. We were wondering if you have anything for morning sickness? I uh.. I'm feeling just a bit ill... " She was explaining. Maybe she had some sort of medicine? Mavis blinked at that. Before saying. "Well, I don't have anything really medicinal. Though I can make some tea to settle your stomach? " She was suggesting. Beginning to step out of the room. Though it was a bit difficult with cats weaving between her legs. She then explained. "Let me feed them first. Then I can make the tea. I'm afraid they won't give us any peace until they've been fed. "

The cats really gave away which room was Mavis’ which Arthur actually found quite amusing. Mavis was soon at the door though and Caroline was explaining the situation. She didn’t have anything too targeted but Arthur hoped that the tea would help. She wasn’t actually throwing up like she had been previous mornings so maybe that was a good sign? Often she refused things like breakfast for fear she wouldn’t keep them down or not feeling well enough to even think about being hungry. Or maybe this wasn’t morning sickness? Maybe she was moving into the next stage of her pregnancy? Didn’t morning sickness Fade after a few months? Or perhaps she was coming down with something else; Arthur hoped not, Caroline’s body had been through enough already. He hadn’t caused this had he? Had he hurt her last night or had some of that drug got into her system and affected her? He really hoped such wasn’t the case.

“I imagine they don’t give you much peace anyway” Arthur joked gently, this place with swarming with cats it was probably quite hectic but he assume feeding times were always the most manic. “We we’re holding we could take you up on your offer and stay for a few more days” Arthur explained to Mavis as he went to follow her on her journey to feed the cats. “It was a long ride, no point spending all that time just to deliver a letter, and it’ll be good for us to get away from the castle” Arthur admitted. “I’ve been to more balls since I’ve been here than I think I’ve ever been to before that point!” It felt like an endless rotation of nobles and pageantry and smiling for the public until their cheeks hurt under Rayner’s piercing and unforgiving gaze. He felt bad about leaving Silas, of course he did, but he wasn’t alone, Galehaut was with him and Rayner had seemed to ease off as of late, maybe still wary of the wounds Silas had sustained from thr lashings even though they were basically healed now. Hopefully things didn’t start back up again but Arthur wasn’t naïve enough to imagine Rayner would stay non-violent with his son for long.

”you seem like much better company than the nobles at the balls” Not really a high bar though but still. “Plus I’m not even that good a dancer, but at least if we’re dancing we’re not being interrogated” and Arthur went to squeeze Caroline’s limb gently at that. “I mean, it is lovely to see you in those gorgeous dresses but I don’t think I’d mind If I never went to another ball” he said to Caroline but well the last one had gone worse than usual. He had suggested to Rayner that they would miss the next ball anyway on account of his mot knowing the local culture and customs but that might not hold up when he started his lessons.

(I'm back!! )

Mavis seemed amused by Arthur's comment. Sending him a grin. Before focusing on shooing cats out of the way. Beginning to make her way towards the kitchen. Arthur seemed intent on staying for a while. Something that Mavis was certainly delighted to hear. For she glanced back at him. "Really? Of course you all can stay as long as you like! I'm happy to have the company. " But it seemed Arthur was also hopeful to simply have some escape from Rayner. As well as the dreaded balls. That had Mavis laughing softly. While Caroline blushed a bit at Arthur's words and touch. Though Mavis didn't comment on such, Instead saying. "Such things aren't for everyone. I enjoyed them though. They could be so romantic when you had the right partner. " Mavis mused.

Finally reaching the kitchen and setting about preparing food for the cats. She then told Arthur. "You might enjoy festivals more. Oh, My home city this time of year would be having one. It was always lovely. Good food and dancing in the streets. Everyone far less rigid then the balls arounds here." Mavis spoke fondly. No doubt recalling nice times. She could not linger too long. As soon a cat was pawing at her leg. Thus she was soon beginning to set down a few bowls of food. Which were quickly swarmed by cats.

Caroline watched Mavis. But her thoughts were on something previously said. That Mavis had found balls romantic with the right partner. She thus hesitated for a moment before finding herself asking. "You mentioned right partner at balls... Did you have one? " The king had some interest in her. But had Mavis ever had another court her? That caused Mavis to glance back. Snickering. "Often enough. I was rather popular with the boys at court. " Huh, Caroline didn't know why. But she wasn't really expecting that to be Mavis's answer. Though maybe she shouldn't have been surprised. Mavis was pretty. Though Caroline then asked. "Were you close with any of them? " Had any of her suitors interested her? That had Mavis raising her eyebrow. She then said. "Not in the way you are asking. I was never in love. " She had no long lost lover she was away from.

(Yay :) )

Arthur was pleased that Mavis was willing to accept them staying longer. He understood that it was probably Caroline she was far more interested in and fair enough given that she was actually her family but he did feel welcomed by her, more than he had at the castle. Arthur could not day he found the balls romantic. Maybe back home, buzzed on a bit of wine and with people out to have a good time rather than come for his throat then perhaps, the gentle music in the candlelight, the laughter of people echoing in a room and being close to friends, family and lovers. Not here though, they were cold and tense and dangerous, the onto saving grace was Silas and he’d messed that up last time. Caroline was also a welcome respite but she was not always about.

Festivals sounded interesting though, maybe once they got back he could ask Silas about taking him to one. They sounded less rigid, more free. It’d be colder out on the streets but he was sure there'd be lots of people around to help warm things up. Yeah, he really liked that idea actually. If there was one a while away then maybe he’d be able to suggest it to Rayner as part of his education on their culture. Arthur smiled, looking forward to such a suggestion and watched in amusement as the cats crowded around the food. He’d seen the knights act just as hectic after a long day’s training or the end of a tournament.

Caroline’s question surprised him but she made a good point and he considered Mavis Curiously. He imagined if she went back to court she’d still be popular with the boys and men but he didn’t say so. She had not been in love though, which was not to say she hadn’t been attracted to anyone nor had a relationship, as she’d mentioned previously she’d spent some time with Rayner but perhaps there had been others too? “Not all relationships are about love” Arthur pointed out, they knew that from their own marriage, from hearing about Rayner and Caroline’s mother, from any number of political marriages, but it wasn’t just that, some relationships were just about physical attraction rather than anything emotional. “You never courted or dallied with things a bit more physical?” And he didn’t mean to be rude or ask her if she’d slept around or anything, just that he wondered if she’d been involved in something less serious than love. Obviously it was more taboo for women to have slept around anyway than men but it certainly wasn’t unheard of, although higher society women were of course pressured more to remain ‘pure’. Still, it was a bold thing to ask and Arthur hadn’t really meant it to be, perhaps last night had over-boosted his confidence.

Spesking of love though had him thinking. Had he ever been in Love with someone? He knew he was still young but he was also married! And yes he did love Caroline, had told her so, but he wasn’t in love with her. He’d been fond of Lance, had a crush on him but he wouldn’t say it was love, not more than a friend at least. He’d fancied Kay too but that was a similar story and as for Ethan? Well they’d dated, even if they hadn’t labelled it as such or admitted it at the time but there wasn’t much else you could call it. He’d enjoyed his company, liked being with him but he wouldn’t have said that the feeling between them had been love. He’d been devastated at the hurt he’d caused in Ethan, before and more recently, regretted saying and doing a lot of things, would have not been entirely Against them getting back together but no Ethan was his past now and he couldn’t move backwards, not even if he wanted to. Regardless, if hadn’t been love just affection. So that left Silas. They weren’t together. Arthur didn’t plan for them to be together. Silas who was always there for him and provided a lot of comfort. Silas who he liked, so so liked but could not be with. Silas who liked him back and was willing to be with him if he just agreed. Silas who pulled at his heart and who was almost always in his thoughts. Did he love him? Well, of course actually Arthur did love him, that was a silly question. He trusted Silas the most of anyone he knew, sought him out for comfort, felt such strong affection for him and his quirks, wanted to protect him and see him smile. Yes, he loved Silas, undoubtedly. But was he in love with him? The idea made him squirm, he wasn’t sure why. Was it because they couldn’t be together? Because it made him feel weird what with being married to Caroline? Because he’d never really thought about himself being in love at all? Arthur found he couldn’t dwell on it, the question of him being in love with Silas was pointless to think about so he simply wouldn’t, he would just ignore the way thinking about it made him feel.

Mavis blinked at Arthur's questioning. Before glancing back at him. Musing. "Well, I certainly did get around. But I never took any of the men courting me as much more then fun. " Mavis had never been very invested in any of the men. She'd enjoyed others company. Got around a decent bit. Though she hardly planned to go into detail regarding such things. It wasn't exactly the most polite of things to talk about after all! Though Caroline figured Mavis had plenty of gossip to share. The woman then was going and beginning to prepare some tea. The cats having been fed. Caroline couldn't help but notice Arthur's expression. He seemed a bit thoughtful and thus Caroline leaned against him.

Mavis's life here was confined. But before, From how she described things so far... Well, It seemed it had been rather free. She must have had some control over her own life. She was able to reject a king! Had her parents not wanted differently? Surely they must not have approved of her refusal? Mavis hinted that she had often got around with men. Surely her family had not approved? The gossip alone should have put a stop to that! Caroline thus asked. "Were your parents... Okay with that? You getting around? " That earned a small laugh from Mavis. Clearly seeming amused.

Mavis then said. "Of course not, But they were far away in my home city, And what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them. " Mavis then glanced back at Caroline. Explaining. "I had come to court here without them. Mother and father had wanted me to mingle with the nobles in the city. My cousin was to watch out for me. Of course, I perhaps mingled more then they'd have liked." But.. They had been far, It would have taken some time for them to get word of her antics if rumors had gotten out. But... Mavis hadn't let any word spread.

Mavis then focused on preparing the tea. humming. "Being away from home for the first time, It had been... A lot, I reckon I'm not the only one that can relate to that. " Mavis said, Glancing towards Arthur. He was certainly far from his own kingdom. But.. Caroline could also relate as well, She had left to live in Arthur's home after all. Eventually would return there. But for now... Despite everything. It was nice to be in her homeland. Still, It didn't feel the same as when she had left. Such brought bitter thoughts. Though Caroline tried to brush them aside.

Mavis was actually answering Arthur rather than telling him off for his probing question. Arthur was quite glad that she didn’t go into any detail though as thaT sort of gossip wasn’t his usual purview. Hs glanced at Caroline, blinking in surprise as she leaned against him but it was nice and he pressed a hand to the Small of her back to show his support back. As expected Mavis had not had the support of her parents and Arthur wondered if her parents were still around and if so did they know about her imprisonment here. Had the late queen done as promised and looked after her cousin? Presumably she’d done a little as Mavis knee some gossip about the queen and had told them a few snippets already.

Far away from home and a bit reckless, yes Arthur could quite relate. Perhaps him and Mavis did have a bit in common, especially if Mavis had participated in some sort of affair with the king but that was all conjecture anyway. Arthur smiled, if a little grim and tight at the comment. “It is a lot” he agreed and he was sure Caroline would agree. As much as they might try to welcome her into their kingdom it was still a culture shock and the homesickness was intense. “I mean, I know we won’t be here forever, that we will return home to my kingdom but it’s still quite overwhelming“ he admitted. “I’m glad I have the knights with me though and of course Caroline is a big help and Silas too” He wasn’t alone here, he had friends and support, as hellish as Rayner was, as much as he missed home, a little bit of home had come with him too.

”how about your experience Caroline? It must have been daunting to come to my kingdom, even with your ladies” and even when Silas had joined them. “And it must feel so strange to think that’s where we’ll stay, that it’s your home now instead of here,” he had a lot of sympathy for that, it’s not like she’d had a choice either. “I mean I hope we’ll be able to visit here a few times but I don’t know how viable that will be” he admitted, especially once they had children and ascended to the throne. He’d want Silas to meet his niece or nephew though so it’d be lovely for them to meet up again once the baby was born.

As expected, Arthur seemed to find things a bit overwhelming. And well, Caroline couldn't help but feel bad about that. Her gaze drifting down in thought. But then Arthur was questioning her. Catching her a bit by surprise. She though considered the question for a moment. Finally answering. "I mean... I was scared, But I was also excited. I think more excited then scared. " Sure, She'd missed home. Feared Arthur might not be a good man. But she'd also been hopeful. Had been excited to meet a knight in shining armor. Maybe fall in love. She had tried not to think of the worse.

Caroline then confessed. "I know you are not so keen on it. But... I did miss the cold here. " It was what she was used to. It certainly was a sharp contrast to the warmth of Arthur's own home! She then focused on Mavis as the woman began finishing up the tea. Setting a few cups down on the counter as she told them. "Well, Here ya go, This might help. And Arthur it won't do you any harm if you'd like a glass as well. I'm sorry I can't offer any more help. " Mavis was no healer. But hopefully the tea would help a bit! She then turned to face the two.

Finally encouraging. "But, Anyway. Even if you are not able to fully visit. I doubt spending time near the border will cause much harm. I do recommend you both enjoy such travels now while you can. When you become king and queen you might not have such luxuries. " No, They likely would be unable to visit much. Heck, They might have a hard time traveling much at all after the baby was born. Caroline tilted her head as she listened. Stepping closer and carefully taking a cup of tea.

Arthur watched Caroline fondly as she admitted she’d been scared but more than that she’d been excited. He was glad that had been the case, even if he no doubt let her down but hopefully she wasn’t scared anymore. Arthur couldn’t say he’d been particularly excited, it had been stressful on the way here, fretting over how Silas and Rayner would react to the news of Morgan and her baby, homesick almost immediately, freezing all the time and worried about his mother and her pregnancy too. Overall he’d been feeling quite sorry for himself and down in the dumps. Now that they were actually in Caroline’s kingdom, some of that fear and stress had ebbed, there was obviously some things he didn’t like here but he did feel a bit better now they weren’t constantly on the road and that he had Silas about.

Arthur decided to accept a cup of tea so joined Caroline in taking one, Mavis was right that it wouldn’t help and besides he was sure it’d keep him nice and warm. Mavis was right about travels, maybe they should go and see more of his own kingdom as well as other kingdoms? It would be difficult with children but not impossible. It would help if they brought servants with them obviously. Alexander had told Silas the story of him travelling with baby Arthur to another kingdom but Arthur figured it hadn’t been commonplace. It took a long time to get anywhere in his kingdom given it was such a big place but to a whole different kingdom? Yeah that took even longer, like it had on their journey here. It’d be especially difficult to bring a baby through such harsh whether which Gawain already knew seeing as he hadn’t made the trip home yet, it’d be better to come in temperate times. The border wasn’t a bad idea though, they’d have to encourage Silas down or get him to visit them but Arthur dreaded to think of the retribution Rayner might bring down on Silas for that.

”I think it’ll be a while before we become king and queen though” Arthur insisted, his father seemed healthy and honestly Arthur didn’t feel ready. Did Alexander think he was ready to become king? He knew that’s what he’d been born to do, raised knowing it was his future but it was still strange to think about it actually happening. “Still, I don’t know how much travelling we’ll be able to get in” Did Caroline even want to travel? Arthur would admit that he was homesick and mainly missing his mother quite intensely, he’d never been apart from him for this long and he knew she could be a bit stern or a little rude but she was also a source of comfort and he hoped she was doing okay. “Is there anywhere you’d like to go?” He asked Caroline curiously, if there was somewhere in her own kingdom then perhaps they could go before they left? Before they had to worry too much about looking after a baby. He glanced at Mavis “anywhere you’d recommend?” Although she’d been here for a long time, hadn’t been that old when she’d been confined so perhaps she wouldn’t have many suggestions.

Mavis tilted her head at Arthur's words. Perhaps it would be a while before he became king. But... It was hard to say. Unexpected things could happen. Mavis thought the royal couple should perhaps enjoy these moments of peace while they had it. Caroline seemed a bit startled when the question was directed at her. And well, It made her pause. She then confessed. "Its not something I've honestly thought about much. But... Maybe we should travel around your kingdom?" It would be good for them to see the different regions of Arthur's home after all.

Arthur then was asking for Mavis's suggestions. Causing the woman to smile gently. "Well, My home city was beautiful. I'd certainly recommend it. But maybe also consider other kingdoms. Not only for the fun of it, But it could be good to make friends elsewhere. " She explained. Alas, Her attention was soon drawn away as she heard the sound of one of her cats hissing. No doubt the animal was attempting to claim the foot bowl all for itself. But soon enough Mavis was tsking. Going and picking up the feline and instructing. "No hissing. " She warned, As she moved the cat to a different bowl.

Caroline considered the suggestion though. Going to a different kingdom could be interesting. They might need to be careful. But the knights would keep them safe. Maybe it would be something to consider for the future. It could be nice, Just her and Arthur. Caroline might have suggested they try and bring Silas too. But... Silas had a way of taking up much of Arthur's time. The two were good friends after all! And well, Maybe it would be nice to just have Arthur to herself.

It would be good to go around the kingdom and meet all the different Type of people that they would one day rule over and be responsible for. Maybe they’d even be able to stop by his mother’s village and visit that side of his family. He didn’t see them often but it might be good to reconnect or well it'd be good at least to see his grandfather who was normally the only one actually pleased to see him. But other kingdoms was also wise. Arthur wasn’t sure where they should go but once they got back maybe he could talk to his parents for some suggestions? He wouldn’t want to leave straight away though as he’d want to spend some time with his children. And that still felt weird to think about. Or perhaps they could have a quick visit whilst they were meant to be here in Caroline’s kingdom? They could look at the specifics later, he was sure Silas probably had loads of suggestions.

Arthur watched her scold one of the cats and break up the kerfuffle. He wasn’t sure parenting was Going to be that simple. Speaking of: “you feeling any better?” Arthur asked Caroline gently, reaching out to touch her hand in concern. Was the tea helping at all or perhaps they needed to find one of the knights and see if they’d brought any medical provisions with them. He didn’t know what to suggest really. Was she in pain? Or was it just sickness? If she didn’t recover, if it turned out to be a bit more than morning sickness, then they might have to depart earlier than intended in order to get her some medical Help. She was a pregnant princess, a one day queen, her health and the health of the baby were very important.

Caroline was soon being drawn out of her thoughts by Arthur's voice. And oh, He looked worried. But honestly? The tea hadn't helped much. Sure it was nice and warm. But she still didn't feel that great. But Caroline hoped the ill feeling would pass. She didn't want to worry Arthur any further so she was soon nodding. "A bit. " She was telling. While Mavis was soon focusing back on them. Raising her eyebrow as she studied Caroline. Before urging. "Why don't you two both get a bit more rest? Its still early, " She encouraged. She then smiled. "I can fetch a few more blankets for you both, And well. I'll call you once breakfast is ready. " She explained. Which was sweet, But Caroline wasn't so eager to leave Mavis completely behind. Because surely they could be of some help? Thus she was saying. "Are you sure? Surely we could help you prepare breakfast. " Though Caroline wasn't sure how much help either of them would be.

Already Mavis was attempting to shoo them out. Saying gently. "No offense dear. But I doubt either of you have ever even cooked a egg in your life. " She was pointing out. They were part of a royal family. Mavis herself hadn't even done much cooking until she started living alone out here. Still, Caroline wanted to argue in there defense. Was already opening her mouth to speak when Mavis said. "Fine, Arthur. You may stay. Caroline. Go get some rest. " She ordered.

She wasn't leaving much room for arguing. Despite Caroline's desires to stay. The young woman was once more opening her mouth to argue. But Mavis had already turned around. Causing Caroline to send a small glance towards Arthur. Before finally obeying and retreating to the two's room. Leaving just Mavis and Arthur alone. Mavis didn't speak at first though. Waited a few minutes as she got her pots ready. Finally saying. "Her mother got that same look in her eyes when she was lying. " Mavis told.

Caroline was always so careful to try not and upset Arthur, thr only time she’d ever really lashed out had been their argument the other night and look How that had ended? She’d backtracked the next day and taken back her objections in order to align with what she thought Arthur wanted. It made it difficult to trust what came out of her mouth, whether it was the truth or just what she thought Arthur wanted To hear. He looked at her worriedly. He’d like to think that she was feeling a bit better but either way it meant that she still wasn’t feeling great. Mavis was making a good suggestion, maybe they should get back into bed and he could just hold her, some sleep might do her some good and hopefully she’d wake up feeling better. Getting Caroline to ever do something for herself though was always a fight. She was insisting on helping Mavis but Mavis put her foot down and was soon sending her off.

Arthur was a bit surprised as he was chosen to stay but he didn’t argue although he was worried about Caroline being on her own and being too much in her head. Maybe some time by herself would do her good though, where she didn’t have to worry about what he might want. “I’ll come check on you later” Arthur promised as Caroline glanced at him and then she was off and him and Mavis was alone. He was a little worried actually, slightly stressed, maybe irrationally so but also maybe not; was Mavis going to give him a talking to? Maybe she wanted to scold Arthur for his treatment of Caroline or warn him against hurting her lest she had to do something about it. He wanted Mavis to like him and the idea of getting the shovel talk from her was a little uncomfortable.

Arthur frowned as Mavis spoke up. She didn’t really know Caroline, hadn’t seen her for years but she could just tell when she was lying? Arthur wasn’t so confident in his own abilities, sometimes he could tell when she was being reticent with her opinions and the truth and other times it was easy to suspect she was telling him what she thought he wanted to hear but he certainly didn’t have it down to an exact science. “Did her mother have a low self-esteem?” Arthur asked. Perhaps that question was unusual and out there but Arthur had his reasons and maybe it was a lot to talk to Mavis about but she seemed helpful and Rayner wasn’t goijg to assist him. Silas had offered him advice but a second opinion couldn’t hurt.

”she blames herself for everything, even when it’s clearly not her fault, when she should be shouting at me suddenly she’s meek and thinking she is to blame. I’ve seen her argue with others, she’s had a go at my own father!” Caroline wasn’t exactly weak willed, she had strong opinions, had shown them before when arguing about slaves or them sleeping together before marriage, she’d stood up to Malia and argued with Lance, it was just Arthur she didn’t seem keen on having a go at. “But she won’t voice her own opinions when she’s with me. She always defers to what she thinks I want, even after I tell her so many times that i’d like to hear her thoughts. I’ve told her before that I’d like her to be more vocal around me, to not hide her thoughts even if they’re that she’d angry at me. I understand that maybe she doesn’t want us to have a marriage where we’re constantly arguing but it’s just such a battle to get her to tell me what she really thinks and honestly? I think I’m losing it” he admitted. Maybe that was a lot to say before they’d even had breakfast but he could really do with some advice. He didn’t know what he could do to get her to say her mind. It’s not like he ever really got upset with her, again they’d had an argument after that ball but that was it. What had made her snap at him then? What had made her allow herself to not hold back? Was it that he’d been drunk? maybe she’d been tired, emotionally exhausted, couldn’t hold back anymore? Sick of putting up with his behaviour? But now she was back to being quiet as a mouse and he didn’t know how to bring the lion back out in her.

Mavis paused at Arthur's question. Expression thoughtful before saying. "I don't believe so. But she often tried to keep her worries quiet. " Mavis explained. Listening to Arthur talk as she began preparing breakfast. He seemed to have plenty to talk about. Was voicing his frustration and Mavis glanced back at him. Saying softly. "I'm afraid I won't be of that much help. But... You've only recently wed, Right? Maybe she's simply trying to make a good impression? I'd give it time. " Arthur and Caroline might have been recently married. But it was hard to say if time would make her insecurities fade.

Mavis then confessed to Arthur. "Truthfully a lot of our family has issues. Not me of course, I'm perfectly fine. But most of the others had there problems. " Mavis hummed to herself. Pausing as one of her cats approached and rubbed against her leg. Causing a amused smile to show on Mavis's face. Mavis then told Arthur. "Father used to go into slumps. Sometimes they'd last for just a day, Sometimes months. But when he did, He'd isolated himself. Mother always worried about him during such times. " She recalled. Though she then shrugged. Stepping away to grab a few extra pots and pans.

Mavis then continued. "My cousin I think had problems as well, She didn't talk about them. But she'd always say how things were fine. We both knew they weren't. But she'd make that claim anyway. " Mavis huffed. Tone almost annoyed at the memory. Mavis then shook her head. Complaining. "I often wished she'd have yelled at me, Always felt worse when she didn't. " Mavis then paused in thought. Finally saying. "Anyway, I don't think there is much to be done about such things. Or well, If there is something. Its not something I know about. " She informed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back