• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy I Was Fine Until You

Caroline picked Percival which was a small mercy, it’d still be a horrifying situation, not helped any by the fact that she said first, implying they Should speak to Jon if and when Percival said no. The situation only got worse as well as Caroline suggested they join them in the bed. How was that going to work? Where was he going to look? Where was he to put his hands? Arthur only nodded, couldn’t speak for he was far too strangled by the idea of this. But it was what Caroline wanted! She wanted to have fun and who was Arthur to deny her that? If she felt this was a happy medium between having a relationship with someone else and being in the confines of her marriage then Arthur was willing to comply.

Arthur jumped at the knock. Him and Caroline really were more similar than they realised and they were both hesitant and startled at where their private moments were going. Was anything going to make them see sense though, or would they forever be in the dark about this, stuck thinking it was what the other wanted and suffering for it. “You’re right” he agreed, clearing his throat to try and keep his voice normal. “I’ll approach Percival later” he suggested, he didnt think it best to do before they sat down to eat, it’d be too awkward, but at the same time he wasn’t sure how much he’d eat with this turning in his mind, causing his stomach to knot and twist. “Either way we can have fun tonight” Arthur promised, hoping that Percival said no and that she didn’t then make him ask Jon in the same night. As horrible as it sounded, it was bad enough with just Caroline. He didn’t mean it meanly of course, just that things weren’t natural or passionate between them.

Arthur moved to the door and held it open for Caroline. ”If you like it here, want To know Mavis more, I’m happy to stay a few more nights” Arthur told her, changing the subject to something a bit less awkward. Mavis had offered them to stay the whole week but he wasn’t sure whether Caroline was really feeling that comfortable here. Arthur was quite happy to be away from the castle for some time, although he did worry about Silas, whether he’d be able to fly under his father’s radar. Arthur was going to feel terrible if they went back and Silas was all banged up and bruised. It felt mean to abandon him there but he did have Galehaut, and Leo, plus Silas seemed keen on taking partners again, giving him some space for that was good and meant Arthur didn’t have to see it But could get used to the idea.

Arthur was saying he'd speak to Percival later. For the best, If he asked before dinner well. Things might be a bit awkward at the table. Thus Caroline gave a small nod. Oh, She wasn't eager for tonight, Even if it was just her and Arthur. Things always were awkward. But she tried to push such things from her mind. Instead moving to follow Arthur out of the room. Pausing at his suggestion. She... Wasn't sure if she wanted to be near Mavis so long. The woman had revealed some rather harsh things. But... Maybe it would be nice to be away from home for a while? So she gave a small nod. Saying. "I-... I'll think think about it. It might be nice. " Mavis likely would enjoy the company.

Caroline then began walking along. It wasn't too hard to find the dining room. She could hear the faint noise of talking nearby and that worked as a decent guide. Thus. She was soon entering a rather nice dining room. Mavis was working on setting the table, Occasionally speaking down to the tabby cat at her feet. "No, Go away, You aren't getting any. Shoo. " She was trying to encourage that cat. Which didn't seem convinced to leave. Only meowed up at her expectantly.

Mavis then looked up as the two entered. Smiling brightly. "Oh, Come in! Come in, Please. Feel free to sit anywhere. " She encouraged. Gesturing towards some nearby seats. Caroline thus was moving closer. It seemed Mavis had made a pot of some sort of soup. And well, Luckily it did smell fairly good. Though Mavis likely had had plenty of time to learn to cook. Given being alone out here. Mavis then was settling down into her own seat.

Even if they didn’t stay long, maybe they could return another time, hopefully with Silas in tow. Arthur understood that it wasn’t easy to be around people who didn’t think much of your family, he had to face that at every ball but Mavis’ claims were not unbelievable and she was also Caroline’s family too. Either way Arthur didn’t mind, he‘d ba happy to go back and keep an eye on Silas or stay and spend some time away from Rayner. For now though, they should try and enjoy dinner. The smell of the soup was rather enticing and Arthur heard his stomach rumble, they’d not stopped for lunch on their way here and he was hungry.

A cat also was hungry by the looks of it and he wondered if she normally let the feline join her for dinner. His own mother would’ve been horrified at such an idea. Arthur took a seat and smiled at Mavis, the knights also having joined and sat down. “It smells lovely. Did you know how to cook before you were sent out here or did you have to learn pretty quickly?” Arthur asked curiously, he was aware many ladies of standing would not have to cook for themselves. “I think i‘d be in trouble if I ever had to live by myself, I can’t do much more than roast something over a fire” he chuckled. His knowledge was much more camping based and it was more theoretical than anything else. On the way here he’d not been in charge of the campfires or their dinners. He wondered what was in the soup, hopefully they’d like it, and hopefully it wouldn’t upset Caroline in her current state and oh…had Mavis heard the news about Caroline’s pregnancy? She knew she was married obviously but how quickly did news reach here? It’s not like it had been announced that long ago really. Arthur wasn’t sure he should bring it up though, Caroline was uncomfortable enough as it was, she didn’t seem the most pleased whenever they talked about her pregnancy which he totally understood given the risk and the precarious situation which had likely caused it.

“So, what do you occupy your days with out here?” Arthur asked. It must be so difficult to live on your own, a lot of things required two people. A conversation for example! Sparring, playing games, even just doing mundane things was nicer with two people. Arthur just quite liked hanging out with the other knights or Silas, he didn’t think he’d cope well on his own. He almost always seemed to have a companion, in his youth it had been his mother and nowadays it was his brothers in arms and Silas, or Vere or even Caroline.

Everyone was soon enough settling down in there seats. Even a cat hopped up into one of the chairs, Though alas, It was soon shooed off by Mavis. Who then was looking towards Arthur. Smiling at the question. "I had not a clue how to cook when I came here. Luckily I'm a fairly fast learner. And I managed to get my hands on some old cook books. " She explained. She had not really ever needed to learn. But well, Eventually she had tired of burnt meals and had actually begun to learn. Mavis seemed amused by Arthur. Before saying. "You would learn fast, It is the lack of company that is the hard part. The cats help. " She explained. before going to eat. Mavis then tilted her head at the next question. That one was a tougher one.

Mavis then said. "Sewing has been my interest as of late. But truthfully, I've gone threw many different kinds of project. Writing, Painting, Gardening in the spring, I even attempted to try and learn how to use a bow! As I thought hunting would be a fun sport. But well, I found it to be tougher then it looked! " She also had quickly discovered she wasn't the most thrilled to actually hunt anything. But it had atleast provided something to distract herself with for a while. Mavis then told Arthur. "I also have a old friend that sends me books, She also writes me from time to time to make sure I'm aware of any spicy gossip. Alas she lives far so it takes some time for her letters to arrive. " Mavis said, Tone seeming a bit disappointed at the thought.

Caroline listened, Head tilted before she found herself asking. "How often do you tend to receive visitors? " Because surely someone had to be sending her supplies to live out here. And she seemed to atleast get letters from time to time! Mavis blinked at that. But soon enough was answering. "It varies, But normally once, Sometimes twice a month supplies are sent out here. It is not uncommon for those making the deliveries to spend the night here as well. As most would prefer not to have to travel back to town in the dark. " She explained.

Her first few weeks must have been a real shock to the system but she’d adapted to this way of life. On her own she no doubt had plenty of time for hobbies but it still must get boring he’d imagine. She did get communications from people other than just Rayner it seemed but letters weren’t much of a substitute for a real conversation. ”does this friend of yours ever visit?” Arthur asked. Could Rayner really police who came to stay? She was on her own out here, as far as he could tell there was no one watching her, maybe those who brought supplies kept tabs and reported back to Rayner but surely she could hide some visitors from Rayner? But was the threat of what Rayner might do to someone who disobeyed him too discouraging? No one else probably wanted to end up like Mavis. To be fair, Mavis had said this friend of hers lived far away.

“Have you ever tried leaving?” He added. Mavis had said that she didn’t want Rayner to win but what about just not playing his game? She was on her own, it would be a long walk to a nearby town but couldn’t she take the horse of one of her visitors? Or hitch a ride somewhere? Then she could just cross a border and go wherever she wanted, Rayner wouldn't necessarily know where she’d gone so couldn’t demand her return from whoever’s kingdom she’d entered into. “I’d take a horse and go” Arthur admitted, assuming nothing was keeping him here except stubbornness.

”Obviously there’s pleasure in having the high ground but 13 years of solitude? I don't know if I’m quite that stubborn” It might be a tiresome marriage for Caroline if he was. Their marriage wasn’t exactly filled with joy but he’d like to think they’d get along a bit better than her parents had. But Arthur had made Caroline cry already so maybe they weren’t too different at thr moment, except for the fact that Arthur wasn’t purposefully cruel.

Mavis shook her head at his question. Saying softly. "No, She lives far. Besides. I believe Rayner has spread plenty of rumors about me. If she was discovered to visit me. It would be bad surely for her reputation. " Silas had mentioned plenty of rumors about Mavis. Not many people knew the real reason she was out there. Many nobles might not want to risk there own reputations being affected. Who knows what kind of rumors would be spread. Arthur seemed curious as to why Mavis had not left. Caroline supposed it was feasible for Mavis to leave. Surely it would be difficult for the king to track her down. Especially if she left the kingdom. Mavis though tilted her head. Frowning a bit at the question.

Mavis then confessed. "Once, I... Became lost quickly. The wilderness here is not easily traversed. Even with a map. " Mavis's home was a bit out of the way. Without a guide it could be difficult to travel. Especially if one tried to leave during the winter. It wasn't just the elements one had to deal with, But also animals and such. Mavis then told Arthur. "I made it a couple miles before becoming lost. And... Well, As much as I wished to escape. I'd likely have been dead if a small group of soldiers hadn't found me. " Mavis tone carried a bit of frustration at that. Leaning back in her seat.

Mavis then told Arthur. "Rayner was furious of course. He-... Well, Perhaps this isn't the best conversation for dinner. " She suddenly murmured, Expression almost seeming a bit sadder. But.. It seemed she didn't want to give much details of what happened after she'd been found. Caroline wasn't sure she wanted to ask. Watching as Mavis finished her bowl of soup. She then was setting the bowl down on the floor, As to allow the hungry tabby cat to scurry closer as to eat any left overs. Mavis then told Arthur. "These days I would not make the journey again, I could not leave my cats. For he would surely hurt them to get back at me. During my first attempt I had just two and thus was able to bring them with me when I made the attempt. " The animals were dear to her, And Rayner could be spiteful. It was entirely likely he'd harm her cats just to hurt her.

So people were scared off by rumours and reputation, yeah that sounded about right for nobles. It was a shame her friend Couldn’t visit but at least she had the letters. Mavis hadn't just sat here though, hadn’t just taken what Rayner had dealt out. She had not managed to escape though. She may be a quick learner but it wasn’t easy to survive in the wilderness on your own, especially not in the weather of This kingdom. Arthur wasn’t even sure how well a Knight would do on their own and had been glad for a whole accompaniment of them on Their journey here plus a well stocked supply of food. Mavis likely wasn’t used to or couldn’t hunt, might not know how to make shelter and look for water, how to navigate with the stars or steer clear of dangerous animals and their paths.

”How did you get so many cats?” Arthur asked, finishing his own bit of soup. He was curious what Rayner had done to her but Caroline hadn’t like their previous conversation, certainly wouldn’t like it if he pried now, maybe he could ask if they were alone, if Mavis was willing to tell. “I mean…I know cats …breed” he said, he wasn’t stupid. “But how did you get your first few?” Had she been sent them? Or had she found them? Was it like the stories of man and wolf, the first domestication of such beasts and the mutual benefits to both.

It was horrible to contemplate that Rayner might hurt her cats to get back at her. What sort of person hurt a pet? But Rayner hurt his own son, was clearly a monster without bounds. He could not imagine having a father so despicable. Alexander had his flaws, had hurt him when he’d made him flog Kay but he never believed That his father was capable of depravity such as Rayner’s. Did his father know how horrid Rayner was? He understood that politics sometimes made you overlook some things but could he not have warned Arthur about what he was going into?

Mavis blinked at Arthur's question. But soon smiled and told him. "I've always had cats. Not so many mind you. But when I came here, I brought two with me. Then others eventually wandered up during the summer. And well, They made more. " Mavis explained. She'd not really ever intended to get so many. But well, They were here now and she adored them very much. Caroline listened with a tilted head before asking curiously. "How many cats do you have? " That seemed to make Mavis pause. Seeming in thought for a couple moments as she squinted.

She then answered. "Well, twelve that are friendly that have names. And then a handful of more wild ones. Not all the cats are tame and I generally just leave food outside for the less friendly ones. " Mavis couldn't say she had a exact count. It didn't help that sometimes cats came and left. Mavis then reached down. Scooping up the cat that was trying to lick at the leftovers in Mavis's bowl. Holding him up and saying happily. "This old man here is Sir whiskers. " She introduced. Though the cat soon let out a meow of complaint. Clearly wanting to go back to his food. Thus Mavis was soon setting the animal down.

Mavis then further explained. "The one you held earlier was Chubbles. Oh! Tonight, I also recommend you close your bedroom door. Because Potato likes to bite peoples noses when they sleep. " She was explaining easily enough. Seeming rather happy to talk about her cats. Caroline also found the topic somewhat nicer then some of the previous conversations. It was better then talking about Rayner. Though Caroline was unsure how much of a fan she was of the cats. She hadn't really ever been around many besides for her brothers feline. But well, A cheetah was a bit different then a house cat!

Mavis had lots of cats, he wondered if her original ones were still about since she’d been here so long but it must be nice to have their family and especially to see little kittens. Arthur hadn’t had let’s when he’d been younger but he had seen puppies of the hunting dogs or occasionally kittens from cats kept around the kitchens and stables. Not all her cats were tame but she didnt seem to mind and even her tame one were maybe a little troublesome Judging by the sounds of potato. Arthur covered his mouth as he chuckled. What funny names and peculiar habits. He grinned at Caroline wondering if she found that as amusing as him. “Thanks for the warning” It was funny now but maybe it wouldn’t be quite so rib tickling when he woke up at 3 in the morning to a cat trying to eat his nose.

Arthur had never considered not closing his bedroom door though to be honest. It was nice to have a bit of privacy especially after the expectations and watchful eyes of the day but he guessed Mavis didn’t have such a need, still with his and Caroline’s plans for the evening he hardly planned on leaving the door open. Although if they were going to invite someone in it almost felt like there was little point in attempting privacy. Speaking of: “that was a lovely meal Mavis, I really appreciate your hospitality“ she hadn’t needed to be so nice to them, not that she had much reason to be horrible but still, Arthur Felt thankful for he receptive behaviour. He switched his gaze to Percival next as the meal wrapped up. “Can I have a quick word with you?” He asked, trying not to sound too nervous nor too serious. Jon might be wondered what was up but Arthur really didn’t feel like sharing.

Percival frowned at Arthur but nodded, climbing to his feet and thanking Mavis. Arthur squeezed Caroline’s arm. Did she want to come with? He had said he’d ask though, but he could maybe do with some support. Would that make things even more awkward? What if she actually managed to convince Percival? Arthur felt he Knew what Percival’s answer was going to be but he had to ask anyway, he wasn’t going to compromise his integrity and lie to Caroline about him even asking in the first place. So, Arthur went to lead Percival away to somewhere More private whilst Jon got up and offered to do the dishes for Mavis and let her relax with Caroline for a bit. Maybe they’d want some girly time, not that Caroline might be that relaxed since she knew what Arthur would be asking Percival.

Arthur seemed rather amused by the cats antics and names. Perhaps if they ever decided they wanted a cat they might have to ask Mavis if she had one to spare! Still, The nice dinner was soon coming to a end, And Arthur was seeking to pull Percival aside. Something that had Caroline's cheeks turning a shade of red. No matter how much she tried to stop it. She could feel Arthur's squeeze on her arm. Glanced up at him and well, She had a idea of what was on Arthur's mind. It made her want to sink into her chair. But then he was walking away and Caroline wasn't sure if she'd be able to follow after.

Except then she glanced at Mavis and she could see the womans curious expression. No doubt puzzled by Caroline's red cheeks. And well... She didn't want to answer questions from her. Then even Jon was leaving and well, Caroline felt even more awkward being alone with a curious Mavis. So she then squeaked. "I uh- We'll be back. " She promised, Before then rising to her feet and hurrying out the door after the two. Anxiety twisting in her chest as she quickly was catching up. Going to Arthur's side and taking his. Though of course she kept her eyes averted. It wasn't too difficult before they were somewhere quiet. Mavis didn't exactly have anyone else around. No, The only prying ears was the cats. And they weren't going to tell any one.

This... Caroline still did not feel ready for this at all. If Percival said yes. He'd join them. Caroline didn't want him to join them. She didn't want to ask such a awkward question. Apart of her wanted to speak up, Call Arthur off the plan. But what would that do to there marriage? She didn't want a loveless marriage. She just wouldn't ever look Percival in the eyes again! Perhaps she should have been the one to ask, But frankly she felt a bit mute at the moment. She didn't think she'd be able to ask!

Arthur didn’t know how he was going to say it to Percival, hoped that something at least would come out of his mouth but he felt nervy and stressed and oh so embarrassed. He was basically sure of Percival’s response but he had to do his due diligence and ask anyway and that was making his stomach twist like crazy. Caroline was joining them and Arthur looked at her in surprise, more alarm rising within him. He guessed he appreciated the support but it felt like more pressure and he really did not want her somehow convincing Percival to join them. The idea made him a little sick with nerves and anxiety to be honest.

They were soon alone and Percival watched them with a frown, arms crossed over his chest. What a site the royal couple made just then, clearly nervous, both sporting a fierce blush and looking like strangled cats, huh Mavis probably wouldn’t be a fan of such a phrase. Arthur’s blush, heated cheeks on darker skin was not as stark A contrast as Caroline’s pink on pale skin but both blushes were pretty obvious to Percival. What did they want with him? Arthur had been tasked with asking so he cleared his throat and tried his best: “Percival, we, Uh, we wanted to ask…..you see the thing is that….um” Arthur just did not know how to lead into such an awkward question. He guessed it was straightforward enough but who asked these types of things? He wasn’t that sort of person and my was it a ridiculous thing to ask In his opinion.

Arthur cleared his throat again and let determination take over. The sooner he said it the sooner they could be rejected and move on; he wouldn’t let Caroline down on this! “We wanted to know if you’d join us, tonight, in the..uh..bedroom, for…you know” His confidence tapered off towards the end but he’d managed to get the words out and now the ball was in Percival’s court. Percival had to admit he was shocked and he gave them both a funny look, as if they had been replaced by strangers. Was Arthur being serious? Arthur who generally didn’t even much like discussion of such things was now asking him to join them in the bedroom? Something seemed amiss. Was this Caroline’s doing? But looking at Caroline she didn’t seem any more thrilled or comfortable with the idea and him and Caroline weren’t exactly best friends, not that he bore her any ill will but she still seemed to smart over the scolding he’d given her before. Unless scolding was her thing... No, actually Percival would rather not think about it. Why had the asked him? They both seemed so uncomfortable, Percival couldn’t much understand why this had Been brought to him except perhaps a dare but again Arthur wasn’t that sort of person. Unless it had been Silas’ idea? Seemed unlikely he’d suggest that to his sister though.

”Arthur you know my answer is no” Percival stated, trying to keep his voice level and calm, not too shocked or confused or appalled at them having approached him for such a thing. ”but I’m glad you came to me“ he added. “You’re lucky. I won’t gossip about you two but you cannot be approaching people asking such a thing, even knights, you know they like to talk” Percival warned them but more pointed at Arthur who he felt should know better. “You’re the royal couple, that would go around like wildfire!“ Although Percival was pretty sure that some knights would take them up on the offer, many already admired Caroline’s beauty, some even spoke salacious things about her which was hardly respectful but some did it to the Queen as well, as long as it was out of earshot of Alexander or even Arthur then it was mostly just brushed over. Arthur did feel chided but for some godforsaken reason felt the need to defend his asking “Caroline’s pregnant, it’s not like we have to stress about parentage“ Although obviously they were already worried about that. Percival shot him a sharp look. “You have to worry about your reputation, especially rumours in this kingdom. Everyone here already thinks you have enough of a sexual appetite, best not to prove them right” Percival warned and let his gaze slide back to Caroline, some curiosity behind his gaze. Had Caroline out him up to it? He could not see Arthur asking of his own accord.

”why did you even ask?” Percival asked, half a complaint but honestly out of all of them he seemed the least awkward. “We wanted to…..it’d be nice….a bit of a spark….” Arthur tried to get out before looking at Caroline for some help but Percival held up a hand. “You know what? It doesn’t matter. Just don’t bring this up to anyone else” Seriously, knights loved to gossip, what a stupid idea it had been to ask one! “And you two both look like the least comfortable people in the world right now. I don’t know whose idea this was but maybe you should consider that you don’t actually want this” Caroline and Arthur looked like they’d rather be anywhere else, Percival couldn’t see either one of them suggesting this so how on Earth had it come about? Percival only knew that he didn’t get paid enough for this so he shook his head going to walk off and leave them there.

It was hard to look Percival in the eyes. Even Arthur seemed to be struggling to ask. But eventually he did find his voice. And well... Percival was taking things better then he could have. But the answer was no, And it was hard for Caroline not to sigh in relief. She did not want the man to join them in bed. Except he didn't think they should pursue such with anyone. Talk? Caroline imagined anyone they got with would talk. But the idea was uncomfortable and finally Caroline looked up. Towards Arthur. Who briefly tried to defend them. But there wasn't much they could really say. It was shameful, Embarrassing.

Percival was more perceptive then Caroline and Arthur. Could tell they were uncomfortable. But Caroline thought he must have mostly been looking at her. The way she was avoiding eye contact. She should have been better at masking her feelings. But Arthur? Was he really not interested. No... Caroline put it down to shyness. Biting her lip as Percival then turned to leave the two alone. And things were soon quiet. What happened now? Percival was right. If this got out... It would just be another scandal. Caroline didn't even want anyone to join them. But... How else was she supposed to make things good between her and Arthur? She was willing to embarrass herself and risk her reputation for that. It was what a good wife would do surely?

Caroline then found herself saying. "I-I'm sorry. " Why was she apologizing? She wasn't sure why. But she felt like she should. Looking down at her feet. Her cheeks were still red and this entire situation felt awkward. Caroline then murmured softly. "I-I... We don't have to ask anyone else.. Unless you want to. Or I can ask... I-I... I guess its not surprising Percival would say no. " Arthur seemed embarrassed as well about asking, And that certainly made Caroline feel bad. But maybe she shouldn't have been surprised. He was a man asking another man. Surely he must have thought it less awkward for her to ask. Though Caroline was uncertain if she'd be able to find her voice to ask such.

Oh, Arthur and Caroline really needed to figure out how to get on the same page. Even with Percival's insight, Caroline wasn't really getting it. Just thought Arthur was uncomfortable about asking. That Percival was noticing her own hesitance. Caroline couldn't help but wonder how quickly would word spread if it did. What would they say? How badly would other think of her? Caroline supposed she was already thought ill of. Considering Arthur's affair she knew not all thought the best of her. But.. Perhaps she deserved a bad reputation she wondered. She couldn't keep Arthur happy, And well... She'd been with Lance.

Arthur and Caroline were left in awkward silence for a bit. He was glad that Percival had rejected them, felt a bit ill that it had come that close in the first place. His words had him wondering though, was this really what they wanted? Of course they’d seem uncomfortable, it was a precarious thing to ask but….something about the way he said it…. Arthur was frowning as Caroline spoke to him and he turned to face her as she apologised. She was always apologising. Arthur did love Caroline but that trait of hers could get a little annoying, only because it was never her fault, she wouldn’t let him take the responsibility for things.

Her words were faltering and again they had Arthur wondering. Was this what she wanted? Maybe she was just chasing the feeling she’d had with Lance, wondered if it could be replicated with another knight but Arthur didn’t think that would happen, figured what she’d had with Lance had been special. And well, Arthur really didn’t want to ask anyone else. Caroline wasn’t that surprised that Percival had said no anyway and was that why she’d picked Percival? Deep down did she not want this? Was it even that deep down?

Arthur shook his head “no, I….” He stopped, watching her for a second. “You’re more than enough for me“ he reassured her, taking her hand to press a kiss to it. If he was being truly honest, she was too much for him, but she was his wife and that wasn’t the sort of thing one said. It wasn’t exactly her fault that their love life was lacklustre, but hopefully with that vial he’d acquired that would change and things would improve and Caroline would feel more secure and happy in their marriage. ”we should probably say goodnight to Mavis though before we retire for the night” he pointed out, he wasn’t sure if she’d want to go back to their room just yet or chat with Mavis a bit but it had been a long ride here so she might be a bit tired, they’d been travelling since breakfast!

Arthur surprised Caroline when he spoke up. She hadn't been expecting a no, But frankly she was glad for it. Though his next words were even more startling. And Caroline wasn't sure if she believed it. Still, Her cheeks were heating up as he kissed her hand. Causing her to look away. Though this embarrassed feeling was more one from being flustered then anything else. Was she enough for Arthur? No, She knew that was a lie. If she was he wouldn't seek out other women. She could tell where he'd gone the other night. But... Atleast she was enough that he didn't need another in there bed. Thus she gave a small nod.

Mavis, Arthur was right and they should give her there goodnight. As well as perhaps thank her for allowing them to stay. So, Caroline tempered her flustered expression. Stumbling. "Yes- We uh.. We should say goodnight. " She murmured. Finally turning as to lead Arthur back towards the dining room. Luckily Mavis hadn't left. Was still in the dining room. Another cat in her arms. Really, It seemed everytime they saw Mavis she had a different cat in her arms. But with so many running around that probably wasn't a surprise.

Mavis was soon glancing up as they entered. Expression curious as she looked between the two, And well.. She could still see the slight blushes on both faces. It was enough to cause her to raise her eyebrow. Though she seemed more amused then anything else. Asking softly. "Is everything alright? " Tone curious. And Caroline quickly was saying. "Yes yes, Of course. Everythings fine. " She murmured. And Mavis frankly didn't look the most convinced. Was still curious. But she seemed to decide against prying for she only gave a nod at Caroline's reply.

There was no insistence that they ask someone else, Caroline didn’t look too disappointed that they’d be alone tonight which was a relief which only added to his wonder on the situation. He had seemed to fluster her though which Arthur always genuinely enjoyed. Perhaps it was cruel of him to want to make his wife blush so, to catch her off guard and make her feel just a bit embarrassed but there was something playful there, it wasn’t too intimate but it was at least familiar and he liked that. If Arthur thought about her knowing where he’d been last night though then he’d be the one blushing. The idea of Caroline knowing made him cringe, made him tense but also as if his legs were made of jelly, bones plucked out. He didn’t want her to know, as horrible as it was to want to lie to his wife, he hated the thought of her knowing about that but he suspected that at least she had some idea, the way she’d looked at him, spoke that morning, it felt like he’d not quite hidden it from her and it made him feel sick. It was one thing chasing men, Caroline couldn’t give him that, but a visit to the brothel? To spend the night with another woman? It felt like even more of a betrayal and he wasn’t sure how he’d deal with such an accusation, what he might say to try and smooth things over, to address the chaos he’d wrought.

Things were calm on The surface though and Arthur was not dwelling on last night, instead thinking of the night to come, how him and Caroline would hopefully enjoy themselves and grow closer. He followed after her and smiled at Mavis, slipping an arm around a Caroline’s waist and resting a hand on the front of her hip bone, thumb splayed against her stomach. They should be more comfortable touching each other. Arthur was usually the one to make contact, even if it was awkward and misplaced, unpracticed, it felt like Caroline was rarely the one reaching out for him except for the occasional hug when she was sobbing but even then she often preferred to be away from him it seemed.

”we really wanted to thank you for the lovely evening and for welcoming us into your home” Arthur insisted, using his arm around Caroline to keep her pressed close to him, his left leg pressed against the back of hers. They should practice their united front before small audiences before bigger crowds, Mavis was a perfect test for this, she loved on her own, who was she going to tell if they were odd? “I don’t know how long we’ll stay but I’d love to hear some more stories tomorrow, especially if you have any about young Silas or Caroline” he chuckled warmly. Rayner was not likely to share any amusing tales soon and sure Mavis had not seen Caroline since she was tiny but she must have something about her being silly as a child, or at the very least Silas. “And I’m sure we can fill You in about anything you’d like to know about our lives“ he offered, she was no doubt more interested in Caroline but they could share how their marriage was going so far, best to sugarcoat things a bit first though.

Caroline wasn't expecting the arm around her. It certainly added to her flustered feeling. And well, She was rather aware how close she was to Arthur. The way he was pressed against her. Such was not that common between the two of them. And well, It had Caroline feeling a bit confused. Still, Mavis was right there, So she wasn't able to linger on her confused and flustered thoughts. Focusing on the woman. Mavis was already grinning at Arthur. "You are welcome here anytime dear. You both are family. " Mavis informed. Besides, She enjoyed the company. It was nice having chatter in the house and Mavis would be lying if she had said she didn't want them to stay.

She then mused. "I certainly have some stories I can tell! I'm afraid I lack many in regards to Caroline. But Silas? I certainly have a few about him! " She'd also perhaps be able to tell some stories about Caroline and Silas's mother. Happier ones hopefully. Still, That was maybe a touchy subject. It seemed Arthur was happy to inform her about all the latest gossip about there own lives. And Mavis was certainly excited to hear. Ensuring him. "I certainly will have plenty of questions! " She then tilted her head. Looking between them before saying. "Are you both heading to bed? If you'd like I can prepare some tea if you'd like to stay up and chat? " She was offering. Beginning to stand. Though Caroline was soon waving her hand. "Oh- Thank you. But, We're honestly a bit tired. " And that wasn't a lie. The journey had been tiring. But... Mavis had told Caroline some rather tense things. And well, Caroline wouldn't mind some time away from the woman to process all of it. But... Also, She was rather aware of how close Arthur was to her.

Mavis blinked. Before her expression became one more of amusement. Then saying. "Ah, Of course, I understand. " She might have made some teasing comment. But frankly Caroline was looking rather flustered and Mavis didn't want to embarrass the poor girl further. She then stood up. Setting her cat down before saying softly. "Well, If you both need me. Do call, I'll see about making sure your knights get there own rooms and settle in well. " She promised. Maybe she'd be able to get one of those men to stay up and keep her company. She had some old playing cards!

Mavis insisting he was family made Arthur’s smile shine just a bit brighter, he was glad to be welcomed into the fold By her, it meant more than it would have coming from Rayner. Mavis was a part of her family that he wouldn’t mind being linked to! Best not to go back to discussion of Rayner though, it’d bring Caroline down again. Arthur would look forward to the morning then when hopefully he’d pry a few stories out of Mavis. Even here, away from Silas, it was hard for Arthur to escape him, he didn’t want to escape him. Arthur would quite happily go back regale Silas with the stories he’d heard which may be a little difficult if Silas did intend on avoiding him.

The amusement coming off Mavis was…telling. She was perceptive and the thought made him blush but he kept his arm around his wife and bid her goodnight before going to remove his arm from around Caroline’s waist and take her hand instead to lead her away and back to their room. He felt nervous. He didn’t really understand why, it’s not like they’d never done this before, sure they’d not engaged in such behaviour since they’d found out she was pregnant but before then such activities hadn’t been unusual. Maybe it was because Arthur wanted this to go well, he wanted to please Caroline, for her to feel something other than bored and awkward. If they could get this right then maybe it’d lead to other good things in their relationship, maybe Caroline would not be so downhearted. He was also nervous because what if she could tell? What if she realised something was up with him, that He’d taken something or that his kisses tasted strange? He wasn’t planning on giving himself too high a dose but he’d never been the one to choose how much he had so how would he know? Also he had to dose himself without her seeing, hopefully he’d get a moment alone to do so.

Arthur closed the door to the bedroom after them and turned to Caroline. He didn’t know how to act sexy towards her. How had he acted towards Ethan? Oops no, that was a bad like off thought. How might he act towards Silas if he let himself? No that was arguably worse. Just kiss her, he should kiss her right? Lance wouldn’t have hesitated, he would’ve swept off her feet, whispered sweet words to her between the sealing of their lips, made her feel comfortable and relaxed. He should be more like Lance, except Arthur didn’t really know how to, wasn’t comfortable enough for it to come easily to him. He could kiss her though so he stepped towards her with that intention, going to press a hand to her cheek and try to kiss her. Would Lance kiss her soft and sweet or hard and passionate? He didn’t know. When he'd seen Caroline kiss him in the tent before it had been pretty intense but they hadn’t seen each other for a while then, he couldn’t be sure they were always like that. Arthur decided to stick to sweet, it was a bit easier for him, required a bit less give, was what he personally preferred anyway, once he took that drug it’d probably kick up the intensity a bit anyway. Yeah, passion was probably the way to go he imagined if he wanted to make her feel wanted.

Soon enough Arthur and Caroline were bidding Mavis goodbye, And Arthur was starting to lead Caroline away. Something that briefly made her hesitate before hurrying after him. Very much aware of the feeling of his hand in hers. Oh, She was nervous. Everytime she'd been with Arthur, It had been awkward. She didn't want that to be the same this time. She wanted things to be good between them. Still, It was hard not to feel a bit flustered as she walked. Then, They were reaching the two's room and Caroline couldn't help the anxiety twisting in her chest. Could Arthur tell? She wasn't sure. The both of them were rather quiet.

Arthur was taking the lead in things though. And before Caroline knew it she felt his lips on hers. Something she was soon returning. her hands moving to his chest. For a moment, Caroline's mind went to Lance. A brief wish that he'd been the one standing there. But she quickly tried to push those thoughts away. Arthur was her husband. What she'd had with Lance had been nice. But she had to put that behind her. Caroline then pulled away.

What would she have done if she had been with Lance though? Show off. She'd enjoyed the way he'd looked at her. Arthur never looked at her like that. But still, Maybe it was worth a shot? So she turned, Walked towards the bed. Beginning to carefully undo the lacing on her dress. Which well- Frankly was never the easiest of things. But eventually the gown was falling to her feet. Leaving her in just her undergarments. She couldn't help but feel her cheeks were still red. Though she tried to push such things away. Confidence was hot she figured. But Caroline was struggling to muster up much confidence as she sat down on the bed. Gesturing for Arthur to join her.

Neither of them were exactly looking forward to this but it’d be good if they could get it right. Arthur wouldn’t have said things were terrible, physically it was pleasurable enough but it was the atmosphere, the silence, the way they were uncomfortable and awkward which made things ….unenthusiastic. Caroline was returning his kiss which was a good start and then she decided to show off a little and he watched as her dress fell and she gestured for him to join her. He didn’t look at her like Lance though, as beautiful as she was, hers was not a body that he found himself attracted to, he couldn’t muster that look of intense desire.

This is not how he’d wanted things to go. Maybe he shouldn’t have kissed her straight away. She was drawing him to the bed but he wanted to, needed to, take that vial, it was the whole point of this really. He had to break away somehow. He stopped in front of her and leaned down to kiss her again, he didn’t want to sit on the bed though, he might not be able to escape then. He kept his kiss shorter before pulling away slightly, face still close to hers so they were breathing the same air. “Let me freshen up first” he insisted before he separated them more and he moved towards his things. Ideally she would’ve been in a different room for him rummaging for it but he couldn’t ask her to freshen up, that was rude!

He grabbed the vial and a flannel, concealing the item as he slipped into the bathroom. It felt a bit like running away, leaving her there in just her underwear. He made sure to shut the door behind him and worked on getting the vial open. How much should he take? Last night he’d been given just a few drops so he figured he’d try to replicate that, soon dosing himself and tucking the vial away somewhere. He’d just have to wait for it to take effect but he couldn’t leave Caroline alone for all that time. He took a deep breath, things were going to be good, they were going to enjoy themselves. He stepped back into the bedroom and offered her a smile, working on removing his shirt as he drew closer to her again. Still, the first part of this might be awkward, whilst Arthur was waiting for the drug to take effect and was just his own uncomfortable self.

The way Arthur looked at her, Well... It was easy for Caroline to notice the lack of desire in his eyes. Especially when she thought back to Lance. It made her want to cover herself up. But, She stayed where she was. Watching as he approached and returning the kiss. Except, He wasn't wanting to stay. Caroline found her expression turning to confusion. A small frown on her face as she watched him hurry off. Leaving her on her own and well... Caroline hadn't expected that. But maybe she shouldn't have been so surprised. Arthur and hers relationship hardly had much fire to it. Thus she found herself sighing and looking down. Sometimes it felt like her and Arthur were making progress. That maybe she wasn't foolish to hope for a loving future. But other moments? It was clear she wasn't enough.

Was it her looks? He'd left right after she'd taken off her dress. What was so revolting about her? The thought made her reach for the nearby blanket. Pulling it a bit over her lap. It wasn't much, But maybe it would hide her a bit and that would help? Should she have tried harder to get Percival to join them? Sought out Jon? Would that have helped? She wasn't sure, But then the door was opening, Pulling Caroline out of her thoughts and nearly making her jump. Looking up. Arthur was stepping out of the room. Even had a smile on his face. But... It didn't feel fully truthful. Should she mention it? That might make things worse though.

Arthur was removing his shirt, But Caroline wasn't fully paying attention. Lost in her own thoughts until he drew closer. What could she do to make herself more attractive? Was it her body? Her face? Makeup could help but Caroline was uncertain. Maybe he wasn't into blondes? Would prefer someone that's hair color resembled more of the women from his homeland? Caroline knew of a few methods to dye ones hair. Though she'd need to look into it more. But she didn't even know if he'd like that. Biting her lip. She realized soon enough that she was just sitting there quietly. Had to force herself out of her thoughts. Looking up towards Arthur. She probably should say something, Anything. Before things got awkward. What was she even thinking? Things were already awkward! But she still tried. "I uh... You're handsome. "

If Arthur knew the depth of her thoughts, of how much crisis he inspired within her then he’d be sick. He already felt pained over what she showed, that he knew things were not as she hoped and that he couldn’t give her the desire she craved. He knew he was a bad husband but if he knew the true reality of Caroline’s self esteem issues, his exacerbation of them and how much she thought about changing herself for him, not thinking herself desirable or worthy or enough then Arthur would be floored, emotionally ripped apart at his own ineptitude at keeping her happy, keeping her sane.

Arthur felt terrible about leaving her but he’d needed to, for both of their sakes, and he was back now and Caroline was being quiet but by now he was growing used to the awkward silences between them. Things actually weren’t that bad when they weren’t being intimate, Arthur was happy to chat to her and he liked hearing her speak, telling him about her day or her friends, he actually loved learning about her but it was when they both knew they should be saying something seductive or spine tingling that they lapsed into uncomfortable pauses. Caroline did speak though and Arthur forced himself to relax, she was his friend, they were just talking. “As handsome as a sheep?” He asked, voice a bit teasing As he recalled her ‘compliment’ to him after the first time they’d slept together.

Arthur tried to reassure her with a smile and went to kiss her, even if their kisses weren’t full of passion it at least gave them some time where they had an excuse not to speak. He let his lips linger, one Hand going to play with her hair and he did actually enjoy stroking her hair, feeling how soft it was, it soothed him and he was relaxing and as he was relaxing it meant the drug could kick in more easily. The feeling started slow but it gained momentum quickly and soon he was kissing her again but this time with more hunger, a need filling him in the inside, not a gaping chasm of want like it had been with Morgan, unable to think of anything else or even really what he’d been doing at the time but something a bit more subtle, a force that pushed his moves with an undeniable desire, clouded his mind enough to forget his worries, to focus fully on Caroline, to actually want Caroline for what she could give him. He was lucid enough to speak, to hear and understand but drugged enough to not want to waste too much time with words, the hand from her hair dropping to her body, sliding down to grip her waist, his hand strong but not bruising. This actually felt good, he could enjoy this, he wanted this, god his body wanted this.

Caroline couldn't help but feel a little flustered at his comment. Though Arthur wasn't giving her much time to respond. As soon his lips were on hers. The kiss gentle and Caroline leaned into it. But... Eventually it became more passionate. Something Caroline wasn't that used to with Arthur. Normally such things were always awkward. And well, To be fair, It was still awkward in a way. But better then normal. Caroline's hand was soon on his chest. Other hand moving to his cheek. This was strange. Normally he was more softer with his touch. Not so... involved really. But this was a nice change. Caroline wasn't sure what was different.

Maybe it was being away from both of there families? Stress maybe? Caroline wasn't sure, But she wasn't going to ask. It felt awkward to ask. Caroline then moved herself, So that she was practically sitting in Arthur's lap. Pulling away from his lips and instead going to softly kiss his neck. Hopefully she wouldn't end up leaving any marks on his neck! They didn't need Mavis or one of the knights noticing and teasing them. Though, Mavis might tease them anyway. Likely had a idea of what the two were getting up to.

(Shall we fade out? )

Arthur and Caroline hadn’t been the most subtle about retreating to bed and their intentions but it was what one would expect from a newlywed couple, Mavis might not know any different, the knights however? They’d seen them travel here, knew they two weren’t all other each other even if they didn’t know the ins and outs of it. Frankly it might actually be good if Arthur came out of this with a few marks, or if Caroline did, might reassure people that thought there were problems in their relationship, would prove that they were getting along just fine. Who they really needed to prove it to was themselves though but hopefully this night did bring Caroline’s spirits up.

(yeah sure)

After the act, Arthur was breathless. He had found that after the other times, in his memory, he was always breathless, as if the drug was pushing him so closer to the edge, feverish with desire although he had not been as out of control as when with Morgan. Frankly he felt quite pleased with himself, figuring he’d dosed himself just the right amount. That had been his best time with Caroline! Not as a reflection on Caroline of course but because the drug had taken away his worries and replaced them with want. He’d enjoyed Himself, and more than he thought he would’ve. With the drug in his system he didn’t register any awkward silences, not to say there weren’t any but he personally didn’t notice. Arthur lay back in bed and fiddled with Caroline’s hair, feeling the drug wear off and that was something that in retrospect he found too, once his body was satisfied then the drug lost its potency which was useful, it wouldn’t do for him to be incapacitated by arousal for hours on end Although he did wonder how long it might last should he not get any release. “Did you enjoy that?” Arthur asked, trying to regain his breath, just enough drug in his system to not consider that an awkward question. “Has it helped with your urges?” He asked with a grin. This was about Caroline, they were doing this because who else was Caroline to go to if she was feeling in the mood? And because this would hopefully bring them together a bit more into a place where they were like a regular couple.

When things were over, Caroline laid curled up next to Arthur. Resting her head on his chest. Still out of breath. It was hard not to have noticed the change in Arthur, And Caroline wasn't sure what it was from. Maybe it was being away from the stress of there families? Not having to worry about traveling threw the snow? Or maybe Caroline had done something different and not realized? Caroline wasn't sure, But it had her feeling a bit more hopeful. Looking up towards Arthur and teasing him gently. "It was perfect. Have you been practicing? " Her tone playful as she nudged him.

Caroline had a feeling she might be a bit sore in the morning. Was frankly tired. But... She enjoyed this cuddling. It was nice, Sweet. When they went home... Would things go back to normal? Sure... Sometimes things were okay. But often there was a clear distance. Maybe it was because there were more women around? Arthur's eyes likely wandered. It was different when there was few women around for him to look at. Caroline tried not to think about. Instead murmuring softly. "Maybe we should stay here. Just for a few days. " Some distance from the castle would be nice!

Arthur might not want to remain. Silas was stuck back at the castle. But... He'd been dealing with Rayner for a long time. Caroline figured he'd be fine on his own for a few days. He had Galehaut to keep a eye on him. The knight would be there to tend to any wounds. Mavis might also enjoy the company. Caroline doubted she'd complain about them sticking around!

This was nice, them laying there and cuddling, Arthur’s arm around her and her head on his chest. He enjoyed the cuddling, he didn’t need to be drugged to make Caroline think he wanted it. He still wasn’t exactly used to the press of her naked body but it wasn’t unpleasurable, just markedly different from that of A man. Caroline was calling it perfect snd he felt his chest puff up, pride at his plan working for the feeling to immediately deflate and a sense of queasiness to overtake him. Her playful words of him practicing racked him with guilt and shame. He had been practicing, not with thar intention in mind but he’d been adulterous again, with Galehaut and last night with that courtesan. His stress and shame at her mentioning that spiked his heartbeat, flushing what was left of the drug out of his system.

Relax. He should relax. She’d called it perfect, she’d enjoyed it, they just had to stay on this track. He did his best to hide his guilt, but maybe some of the tension in his muscles got translated. He looked down at her as she suggested they stay a bit longer and he was a little surprised, she hadn’t seemed that eager but he was happy to oblige. He smiled, trying to focus on now rather than last night and his mistakes. “That sounds like a good idea” he agreed, squeezing her a bit closer and curling a strand of her hair around his finger. “We can ask Mavis tomorrow.” Although he was sure that she’d be happy for them to stay a while.

“Maybe you should have a girly day with her?” He suggested, she didn’t seem to get a lot of visitors, nor a lot of family, and Caroline had not grown up with her mother really so maybe they could have some good female bonding time? He wasn’t sure what he and the knights would do though, go hunting? exploring? They’d find something. Arthur shifted slightly so that he could face Caroline a bit better and he let his free Hand trace a gentle line down her side, always find her smooth skin a delight. “You know, I’m lucky I got to marry you” he said, as horrible as he felt about how he’d treated her, about how their lives had fallen snd the lies he had to tell, he felt that she was a wonderful person and he felt such comfort in her presence. He just wished he could give her what she deserved because she was more than he deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back