Tech I need some help. Badly.

TeaMMatE11

The Ninja. Now you see me, Now you don't.
So I've been building a PC, and I need some help.  First, I'll give you my specs.

Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5Ghz

GTX 1060 Windforce OC

Cryorig heatsink

NZXT S340 case

Asus H170 plus D3

600W EVGA bronze power supply

OK now for the question.  I think I have wired everything up correctly, the 24 pin power is in, as well as my 8 pin power for the CPU.  This is what happens.  

I press the power button.  I see a blue light around the power button for a fraction of a second, as well as my GPU fan spinning for the same duration.  Everything after that milisecond passes, just stops dead.  I see a green light on my motherboard, so I know that it is recognizing a power source.  However, I cannot get this thing turned on.

Any and all help is appreciated so I can get my rig up and running.  I have tried everything, and nothing works.  

Note: this is my first PC build so I don't know much.

Hey there!

The worst case scenario is that one of your components was dead on arrival. The good news is that you should be able to get it replaced if that's what happened. But before you go rushing back to the store (or post office) to return everything, there are a few things to check.

Are you sure that everything's plugged in? Snugly? Disconnect all of your cables and plug them back in.

Try booting the computer with only one stick of RAM. Keep doing this until you've tried every stick; you might have a bad stick of RAM. 

Speaking of RAM, are you sure you're inserting them the right way? Your motherboard expects the DIMMs to be in a certain order. Check the manual if you're not sure.

Do you have access to another power supply you can try? If not, do you know anybody that has a power supply tester?

This site has a bunch of flowcharts that can help you troubleshoot issues like this, and they're easy to follow, so you don't need much experience: http://fixingmycomputer.com/

Good luck! My first custom build took me ages to get right, but it's super satisfying once it's done. :)

Hey there!

The worst case scenario is that one of your components was dead on arrival. The good news is that you should be able to get it replaced if that's what happened. But before you go rushing back to the store (or post office) to return everything, there are a few things to check.

Are you sure that everything's plugged in? Snugly? Disconnect all of your cables and plug them back in.

Try booting the computer with only one stick of RAM. Keep doing this until you've tried every stick; you might have a bad stick of RAM. 

Speaking of RAM, are you sure you're inserting them the right way? Your motherboard expects the DIMMs to be in a certain order. Check the manual if you're not sure.

Do you have access to another power supply you can try? If not, do you know anybody that has a power supply tester?

This site has a bunch of flowcharts that can help you troubleshoot issues like this, and they're easy to follow, so you don't need much experience: http://fixingmycomputer.com/

Good luck! My first custom build took me ages to get right, but it's super satisfying once it's done. :)

Funny thing is I literally just solved this problem a few hours ago lol.  The case fan wasn't plugged in all the way, and I think that was causing the majority of the problem.  Everything seems to be working fine, however I still need to buy Windows 10 for the PC.  I just built the PC and wired it all up.  Thanks for your time!  I'll keep these pointers in mind for future builds :P

Funny thing is I literally just solved this problem a few hours ago lol.  The case fan wasn't plugged in all the way, and I think that was causing the majority of the problem.  Everything seems to be working fine, however I still need to buy Windows 10 for the PC.  I just built the PC and wired it all up.  Thanks for your time!  I'll keep these pointers in mind for future builds :P

Bah, those pesky case fans! That's why you should always double check to make sure everything's plugged in all the way. But now you know! 

Anyway, glad to hear that you got it working. Feel free to PM me if you run into any other issues down the line. :)

I've got a lot of respect for people who can build their own computer •~• I can only disassemble a fire arm to clean it and put it back together....and the occasional maintenance on Jeep but that's about it

I've got a lot of respect for people who can build their own computer •~• I can only disassemble a fire arm to clean it and put it back together....and the occasional maintenance on Jeep but that's about it

A lot of it is just a matter of finding where the wires plug in.

S'like anything else in life really, learn from reference/experience. Poke around an old junk PC sometime and you should have enough understanding to do it before too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back