I need a magic mask!!

Kajata

I'm designing a character who basically needs a magical mask :P

He's a night caste thief who will have the stealth charms up to the level of Mental Invisibility Technique, and the Larceny tree that allows him to appear as other people and the like.

I know that the obvious application for a magical mask is to allow him to change his appearance, but with those Solar charms, it'd really be useless...  can anyone else think about any useful powers for a magical mask?  Probably about a level 2-3 artifact?

Well there is the possibility of the mask granting stealth on another level, perhaps making the character invisible on the loom of fate/granting protection from siderial powers.

Alternately a mask could grant essence sight or enhance the perception in some other ways... perhaps something like stone of the earthweb, radar or something similarly funky.

Some ideas:

A mask that dematerialises the wearer upon donning it.

A mask that can see spirits, or essence. Perhaps it can pick out possessed, discreet gods/elementals or exalts based on their awakened essences?

A mask that confers the ability to see through the metaphorical masks of others; perhaps something as straightforward as x-ray vision to see people naked or the other sides of poker cards, or something that can let you see someone's nature, motivations, or likes and hates.

I like the dematerialisation idea, but would that be applicable for a level 2-3 artifact?  I don't really know how powerful an effect that is...

X-ray vision also seems really cool.  Though I do love that dematerialisation effect! :D

What do you guys think?  Would that be viable for a level 2-3 artifact?

For lv. 3 it shouldn't be hard; if you want leverage, use the artifact creation rules in S&S. Dematerialise isn't a difficult charm to learn, the essence requirement is 2/3, right? So substitute that in for the solar charm guideline; it's an elemental charm so it's surely on a par or weaker. That makes it power 3 if memory serves. So it shouldn't be more than about artifact 3 in the end, assuming the rest of the traits are average.

There's a 3 dot armor (4 if you use fate) that when you activate it transports you outside of reality completely until you deactivate it, making you pretty fucking hard to detect. I think it grants essence sight too. I can't remember what book its in, but if you can find it you could pretty easily say that the armor includes a mask for aesthetics, or if you're using fate, forgo the soak of the armor to make it 3 dots.

Alternatively, call it a shield and have a +2/+3 difficulty to be hit, alongside presence rolls for intimidation and laser vision.

The laser eyes bit is important.

Or, one could simply design the mask around several pertinent Solar charms...with a significantly lower attunement cost than the commitment costs of said charms.

Wondering, if the character has all that, why give him a magic mask?

If the character were blind I would say the mask would allow him to see. (I invision something like Neo's sight in Matrix 3)

Same for if the character were lacking any sense.

Perhaps changing the character's voice? My ST was always pretty anal about that.

If none of those are relavant perhaps it helps with dodging. The mask always making the character appear 1 foot to the left, granting some awesome difficulty on attacks of all kinds until someone figures it out. (A displacer beast comes to mind)

A mask that perhaps allows the character to share the senses of one with a twin mask? Of course that leaves me with visions of a cat lunar in totem form with a mask on.

Perhaps purifying food or drink as long as the character is wearing it.

Or' date=' one could simply design the mask around several pertinent Solar charms...with a significantly lower attunement cost than the commitment costs of said charms.[/quote']
Good idea, surprise anticipiation method springs to mind. Handy thing to have.

Safim said:
Actually that armour is pretty crap for what it costs...
Comrade, you're nuts.  It's got good soak, a Stealth buff, Essence sight, and removes you from Fate.  And it's 4 or 5 points.  Sounds fucking worth it to me.

Safim said:
Comrade, you're nuts.  It's got good soak, a Stealth buff, Essence sight, and removes you from Fate.  And it's 4 or 5 points.  Sounds fucking worth it to me.
It is five points. The soak is a crappy 8L 12B and the stealth in combat thing is just -3 successes for the attacker. A big shield with crappy soak and +2 to strength. It has some nice things built into it but it is in no way as universally useful to make it worth a 5 dot artifact. I'd make it three points. 2 points without the protection from fate.

And please... stealthbuff +6 dice versus visual detection... hardy har har.

I still think that seeing through other peoples eyes is a really handy ability, especially for a thief, think of being able to see where a gaurd is looking.

Safim said:
Safim said:
It is five points. The soak is a crappy 8L 12B and the stealth in combat thing is just -3 successes for the attacker. A big shield with crappy soak and +2 to strength. It has some nice things built into it but it is in no way as universally useful to make it worth a 5 dot artifact. I'd make it three points. 2 points without the protection from fate.

it REMOVES YOU FROM FATE. as in sidereal astrology no longer works on you, as in you could surprise cejop kejak(sp?)! I mean if that ain't a five dot artifact it's so close it's scary.

Gtroc said:
Safim said:
Safim said:

it REMOVES YOU FROM FATE. as in sidereal astrology no longer works on you, as in you could surprise cejop kejak(sp?)! I mean if that ain't a five dot artifact it's so close it's scary.
So what's the deal, removing the power diminishes it by one point according to the outcaste. that is because in most games siderial powers are not your prime concern and actually siderial astrology is a frickle thing, for every one up there who wants your head you have probably one working to prevent your death so meh. and the immunity to some siddie charms... ahem well I am underwhelmed. Apart from that, removal from fate is a stupid power to give to a first age artifact without good reason (there is a user submitted warstrider in lore 5 which is awesome and has a good explanation for it), cause actually why would you make armour that removes you from fate in the first age? the siddies were helping you. stupid mechanics, weak artifact, no explanation. one of the worse artifacts in canon.

You are a bitter, bitter person. It's a damn good artifact, and I really wanna know, aside from this little explanation as to why you see it as useless. You're a bit...wound up over nothing? About an artifact in the book. Woo hoo, I can find at least three others that aren't all that great, this is NOT the worst we've seen. Besides...if you don't like it so much, invoke the Golden rule of it doesn't exist! No need to go on a long rant about nothing.

You are a bitter' date=' bitter person.[/quote']
Took you quite some time to figure that out, but actually I have no idea why you start to get personal only because I differ from your opinion.

I think my reasoning until here was easy to see but I will repeat it to you again, this will sum up the points I have made so far.

It costs 5 dots and does the following:

-Removes you from Fate, a power neglectable in many games for a whole lot of reasons. first of all astrology against players is a bad move for a st to begin with, then there is the whole balance in heaven thing I mentioned earlier and siderial charms it grants immunity to are far and few in between (on the one hand because there are only a few charms tricked by this on the other hand... siderial assasins are not really common in the first place anyway). The other thing about this power... yes it is badass in a canonical sense as removing something from fate is cool... but doing so without an explanation by a suit of armour built in an age where removing yourself from fate cuts you away from the help of some of your allies is just a stupid thing to do, bad designdecision.

- the soak is crap, tinfoil, the blur effect is medicore

Five points and dragon armour beats it in most ways.

All right, let's take a campaign where Siddie astrology isn't a factor, and the AotCA is a 4-dot armor, shall we?

In head-to-head comparison with the five Dragon Armors, AotCA appears rather weak in most points--almost 3-dot strength, as Safim claims. However, he did say 'most.'

No Hearthstone required and no Repair needed for AotCA, as compared to the Dragon Armors...that's worth a dot, no?

Is AotCA overpowered for a 5-dot? [snorts] Hell no. But is it really that bad? Especially if it's adjusted down to a 4-dot for a specific campaign?

What the hell book is that Crimson Armor in anyways?

NM, found it, Outcastes if anyone else is wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back