• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern i could tell you, but...

karma.

i’m peachy, hbu?
a thread for NotinthisUniverse and i

I'll post my character here soon, you're welcome to : )

Victoria "Vicki" Hart Margot Robbie Landed Her %22Wolf Of Wall Street%22 Gig By Slapping Leo In The Face.gif
ethnicity: white
sexual orientation: heterosexual

personality:
Dry-humored and sarcastic, Vicki rarely takes things seriously. While most people would tell her being an assassin is nothing to take lightly, she finds that it helps her get the job done. As she puts it, “Not having a solid plan means things can’t go off course, right?” Then she would wink and go back to winging it.
She’s also a natural with people. A white smile and pretty face make it easy to draw people to her, where she can ensnare them with smooth talk, and then kill them with her charm. While jobs get this charismatic version of Victoria, off the clock she comes across blunt, with none of the sugar in her voice. She is excellent at talking while not saying much at all, which is how she can build superficial relationships with ease. On the other hand, this means she can count her close relationships on one hand.
Independent to a fault, Victoria can emit a coldness that could freeze over hell. She likes to believe that she can do everything on her own, and her resting b*tch face tends to discourage anyone from offering help anyways. Most likely a defense mechanism from years on the job.
While her exterior persona is calloused from years of hard work, she has some soft spots she keeps hidden beneath her sins.

Tumblr.gif
background:
Born to a modest family in a big city, Victoria grew up with the hustle. Her mother was an investigative journalist, her father a middle school teacher, a salary that allowed for a cramped one story home in an old suburb of Toronto. The crowded circumstances lead Victoria and her brother, Evander, older by 5 years, to grow nearly inseparable. He even coined her nickname, Vicki.
And everything was perfect, until one day it just wasn’t. Victoria was 8 years old when she got off the school bus to find her brother waiting for her on the front porch. “You can’t go in there,” he said, holding Vicki back from the front door, “We have to go, mom and dad are gone.” As Evander pushed Vicki away from the door, she caught a glimpse of a dark red stain on the well-trafficked living room floor. She should've known then that her life would never again resemble the domestic bliss she came from.
All Victoria remembered was being whisked away in a black Cadillac, clinging to Evander’s arm with fear. A beautiful woman in the front seat told the siblings with a smile, “Your parents wanted to send you two to a new school, it’ll be lots of fun. Everything will be explained when we get there.” 'There' was past the Canadian border and into the United States, where a large compound made up a training facility.
Victoria couldn't have known that she was getting trapped in the belly of a beast.
Yes, Victoria and Evander were taught the general curriculum of public schools, but they were also taught much more. Defensive tactics such as disarming techniques and weapon retention. Surveillance, how to surveil and how to not be surveilled. Hand-to-hand combat and firearm training. And tactical driving, though Victoria was never a good driver.
After years of training, Evander reached his 18th year and was sent off on his first assignment. Vicki rarely saw him after that, every month or so he would stop by at the training facility to see her. But eventually his handler grew tired of his childhood fantasies and Victoria didn’t see him for another 5 years. By then, the childish innocence that used to catch the light in her eyes was long gone.
The beast was known as CLOCKWORK, an underground organization responsible for a number of assassinations, intelligence leaks, and other shady dealings. And by the time Victoria was 18, she was a capable asset, carrying out these shady dealings on her own. Whether it be murder, espionage, or information gathering, over the past 9 years Victoria has successfully completed every mission but one.
For the past two years Victoria has been residing in a humble home with a roommate, carrying out assignments as they come. As CLOCKWORK taught her, sometimes it's best to hide in plain sight.

DC Multiverse.gif
extra:
-left handed
-always has her hair up
-talks with her hands
-prefers coffee over tea
-borderline alcoholic
-has a sweatshirt of her brothers that she wears religiously

Name: Daniel M.
Appearance: Standing at six foot three inches, Daniel has a gauntly appearance to him. Eyes sunken, cheekbones hollow, overall just bony; skeletal. He has green eyes, light tan skin, and bags clung underneath his eyes. He’s usually seen in all black, with his signature hoodie over his head.
Image result for elliot mr robot
Personality: Average mannered, materialistic, expresses emotions inappropriately, mischievous, unreliable, controlling, impulsive, aggorant, etc
Personal Status
Social Class: Working class
Education: D grade student
Marital status: Divorced
Job: Never could hold a job, right now is a dishwasher for a local restaurant
Financial status: Average
Personal views
Religious view: Agnostic
World view: Pessimist
Racial views: "I don't see race"
Gender bias: "It's a man's world"
Age preference: Youngest he’ll date is 18
Nationalism: "I don't mind my country"
Conflict: "Some people only understand force"
Traits
Physical/Health: Left handed
Quirks: Always wears hoodie, huge nail biter, nicotine addict
Dislikes: Getting old, Being desperate for the toilet, Bad breath, Misspelled signs
Afraid of: Bacteria, Death, and Rats
Self-satisfaction: Average
Fitness level: Little to no capabilities
Motivator: Doesn’t really have one
Skills:
Favourites
Colours: Likes red
Music: Anything but country, loves pop music
Foods: Mild food
Book Genre: Young Adult

1613708024796.png1613708024884.png1613708024921.jpeg

Last edited:
Shit forgot to add his background!

Background: He never really cared for school, mostly skipped or had his head in the clouds. He had to be held back in twice in the 9th grade, due to absences, all F’s/zeros, and just never doing any work. Daniels home-life couldn’t be any better, had an alcoholic for mother and absent father. He was generally on his own from the get go. Never had any guidance just did whatever he could to make some money. Dropped out at age 17 and ended up marrying a women twice his age for cash, (basically a sugar mama) though the relationship didn’t last very long he enjoyed it while it lasted.

Vicki slumped back onto her heels, gun still in hand. The metallic scent of blood clung to the air, and feathers from a pillow used as a makeshift silencer drifted about the crime scene. The feathers floated with an ease that contrasted starkly with the reality of the situation. An exasperated sigh left her lips. News on the TV was still blaring, turned up in a desperate attempt to hide the noise of a violent fight from the neighbors. Pinching the bridge of her nose, Vicki scowled at the blood pooling on the cold tile of the kitchen. “You’ve got to be kidding me,” Vicki huffed as she made her way to the TV remote to turn down the volume. She left sticky footprints of blood in her wake.

Work didn’t ever follow her home, so the three dead men on the floor of the kitchen left Victoria perplexed. As bad as she wanted to figure out how the dead men found her, she had the more pressing dilemma of cleaning up the mess they left of blood and brain matter. Additionally, she’d have to report the incident to her handler. Victoria rolled her eyes. She was certain her handler had a stick up their *ss. She knew he would be annoyed being summoned. Biting her lip, she pulled out her phone to type up an email to her handler. Might as well bite the bullet, she thought with a snicker as she glanced at the corpses she had created.

Send New Email
New Email Received
unknown
table for 3

hey bud,
I know you'll hate me, but I need to make a reservation for three ASAP.

confirmation code: 072644709

With her hands on her hips, Victoria stared at the catastrophe of the kitchen for a minute. She contemplated her plan of attack. Her handler would help clean up, but he would be pissed if Victoria didn't at least start the process. Dramatically she threw her hands into the air and clapped in feigned excitement, “Let’s get the sh*t show on the road, babes,” she said to the men.

Victoria started by grabbing a large glass of spiced rum. She didn’t love cleaning up after her jobs, but she had found over the years that it was more enjoyable with alcohol. And old school rock, “Hey Alexa, turn on my chores playlist.” A slow smile spread across her lips as the comforting beat of the Red Hot Chili Peppers sprang into the air. Now that the mood had been set, Vicki rolled up her sleeves and got on with it.

Ten minutes later and two bodies were rolled up in trash bags and sealed with an excessive amount of hot pink duct tape.

Geez, lay off the carbs, man,” Victoria grumbled as she put her back into moving the final body, a moderately obese man. It's a good thing this one had zero combat skills whatsoever. Vicki paused to think. In fact, none of the men were all that professional. How’d you guys find me? She pondered.

Vicki was currently working as a receptionist at an art gallery, keeping tabs on the wealthy owner for CLOCKWORK. Truthfully, it was the most boring job she had been assigned yet. The man was dull, quiet, and did nothing controversial. That's why the three dead fools on her kitchen floor puzzled Vicki so. Why now? She hadn’t seen action like this in months, and while Vicki couldn’t help but be thankful for the entertainment, it raised questions. She didn't know who these men were, or who hired them.

Really?” Vicki scoffed in irritation as she realized she had stuck the sleeve of her white button down in a splatter of blood on the kitchen counter. It was enough to snap her out of her thoughts and bring her attention back to the sizable problem at her feet.

As she was ungracefully trying to move the third man, her phone pinged. “Oh, thank god,” Vicki groaned, immediately letting the heavy man roll back to his resting position. She eagerly checked her phone, glad to have an excuse to stop struggling with the man’s weight.
It was an email from her handler.

Send New Email
New Email Received
unknown
Re: table for 3

of course you do. be there soon.

Victoria smirked. Now she could simply wait until her handler showed up and make him do the heavy lifting.

“Hey Alexa, volume up.” With that, the woman left the messy kitchen for her handler to finish when he arrived. Vicki kicked off her white heels and sauntered into the living room to the beat of an Elton John song. Glass of rum in hand, she took a swig and hummed mindlessly. She swung her hips to the music without a care in the world. Vicki didn’t think she had anything to worry about. The immediate threat was dead, her handler would help her clean, and they had plenty of time to get it done since her roommate was at work or something. No rush.

Daniel inhaled the lit cigarette between his fingers. He held his breath for moment, allowing the nicotine to rush through his body. He felt dizzy, tingly even. He opened his bloodshot eyes with a lopsided smile, blowing the smoke up into the sky. Watching it swirl and dance, before disappearing into the night. He brought the cigarette again to his lips, holding the bud with his fingertips, inhaling once more. His fingers burned due to the close proximity to the cancer stick and the burnt ash hanging off of it. He winced and threw the bud into the floor, stomping it out.

Daniel! Get your ass back in here!” Ben, a short yet built man hollered. His blonde mustache tickled his rather large nose and nostrils. His thick fingers pointed into his chest, leaving him red in the face as he continued to scream at the young man. “You can not take an hour long smoke break boy! One cig and that’s final, I need you back in this kitchen NOW!” He had gotten in his face by this point, well rather having to go on his tippy-toes to be somewhat eye level with the man. Daniel couldn’t help but roll his eyes at his boss, but he shrugged and trudged himself back into his work station.

Daniel took a look at his hands, looking at how wrinkled and shriveled his fingers were. He grimaced at the sight, before drying them off with his apron. Majority of his co-workers had clocked out already and he was the second to last person to leave. He grabbed his coat and headed out the back door. He dug around in his coat pocket and lit another cigarette, as he walked to the bus stop. He took a seat to the far right and waited for his usual bus to arrive. Daniel pulled his coat over his shoulders, shaking slightly. The air was crisp and cool against his skin, it made his bones ache. He pulled a little tighter, sliding his sleeves through, and collapsed into himself. Trying to keep what little body heat contained in his small frame. He could only hope that his roommate was having a better night then he was.

Vicki was reclining on the couch, tipsy by the time her handler showed up.

“Hart,” was the curt greeting she got from him as he hurried inside. Her handler was well-built, an average 5’10”. Though he stood six inches over Vicki, she didn’t find him intimidating at all, and this drove him crazy.

“Hello, Dick,” she piped back.

The man huffed indignantly, “That’s not my name, Victoria. It’s Richard.” It was obvious that this battle had been a long-standing one.

I know, I know, but I prefer your nickname.”

“Oh, grow up, Hart.”

Victoria scrunched up her nose, “Oh, grow up, Hart,” she spat in a mocking, whiny voice. Richard pursed his lips as he closed his eyes, trying to fight down his irritation. Victoria hid a satisfied smile behind the rim of her glass.

“In the kitchen,” she calmly pointed him in the right direction. The woman watched Richard enter the kitchen from the corner of her eye. Then she jumped up and trailed after him. By the time Victoria rounded the corner to face him, Richard was already scowling.

“You had to kill them all? You couldn’t have just, say, I don’t know, knocked out this scrawny one? He weighs less than you!” He pointed to the smallest of the trash bag wrapped masses.

Victoria shot him a glare and Richard quickly looked away, raising his hands in defense. “I’m just saying, it would’ve been nice to have gotten some answers out of one,” the handler shrugged.

Vicki rolled her eyes, “Do I criticize you about your job?”

Richard laughed. “Actually, Victoria, yes, you do.”

“No, no, I don’t criticize you, I just ask you to do your job less,” Vicki remarked, “Not that I’m not, y’know, grateful for you coming over to help move this guy.” Despite her indifferent attitude, Victoria was grateful. She just couldn’t resist giving Richard a hard time, he made it too easy.

Though Richard wanted to argue her rebuttal, he knew better. He knew that Victoria had a tendency to push his buttons on purpose. On top of that, Vicki was always insisting on less of his rules. And every time the two of them argued, they’d just talk in circles until they got dizzy. Or Victoria would make a hasty joke and abruptly end the conversation for the both of them. Therefore, Richard merely kept his mouth shut and evaluated the work the team had ahead of them.

“Whatever, lets just on with it,” Rich sighed as he rolled up his sleeves.

Victoria and Richard had the last body wrapped and stacked neatly with the other two rather swiftly. It was a process the two had perfected with practice.
“Now, with the hard stuff out of the way,” Richard pulled a flip phone out of his jacket pocket, “You can work on something useful while I call HQ with an update. Then we throw the bodies in the truck, and I can relieve you of my company.”

“Oh, but I love your company,” Victoria teased and winked in her handlers direction. Richard merely rolled his eyes and stepped out the back door for some privacy.

It didn’t occur to Vicki to check the time. It was late, she knew that, well into the dark hours of the night. But she didn't know it was late enough for her roommate, Daniel, to be off work. Or that Daniel was at the bus stop, only a short ride away from their humble abode. While Richard handled the formalities, Victoria took the final sip of her alcohol, then grabbed a bottle of bleach to begin tidying up.

(Sorry, thought I’d already replied)

Daniel shook against the cool air, his teeth rattled, lips flapping. His body was very tense and rigid to the amount of shaking he was producing. His fingertips were numb, pale and slightly discolored even from the excess wind. It felt like hours before the bus arrived, but those bright lights and flashy signs made it slightly bearable. He slowly got to his feet as the bus approached his seating area. He stood for a couple of minutes, the bus pulled in, opening it doors. A woman a her young child came rushing out with bagged groceries, speaking hushed Spanish as they passed by. A older looking white male with a beer belly came out down the steps with huffs, groans, but mostly sounding winded as he walked. Last by not least, a crazed looking fellow with matted locs stepped out the bus scratching excessively. Dirt collected underneath the young mans fingernails and face/neck, small red dots collected on his forearms. His backpack ended up hitting Daniel as he climbed on. The odor sent him gagging.

Once he arrived, he took notice of empty the bus was. Despite the tagging, graffiti, cigarette buds, and bodily fluids packed into the rectangular space. He took a seat in the middle and scrolled about on his cellphone. He opened Instagram and noticed a red number one on the right corner. He pressed it and was sent to a username and profile pic. To his surprise a guy had messaged him a rather flirty text, asking him various questions about how and what his mouth could do. Daniel recoiled in disgust and immediately deleted the message and blocked the person. He huffed out a sigh and closed his phone. He pressed his head back against the cool glass, closing his eyes as he let the bumps of the road lull him to sleep.

He soon awoke to the bus hulling to an stop. He woke up the snort and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Fuck...” he muttered softly to himself and got up. He grabbed his hoodie, placing the hood over his head and walked out. He walked down the more gentrified apartments and coffee shops, as he passed by he saw the division between the more wealthy and lower-income apartment complexes. It was obvious that the city was trying to move those who didn’t “belong” out. He understood to some extent as to why it was such a clash though, he didn’t seem to give a fuck really. He wasn’t handed a sliver spoon and he wasn’t going to complain over his situation either, he worked and made do with what he had.

As he approached his apartment and went up the stairs to his room number, he couldn’t shake this gut feeling that something wasn’t right. Maybe it was the greasy run down restaurant he ate at which made his stomach flip. He grabbed his keys, and swallowed...hard. There was a very strong smell of bleach emitting from the cracks of the doorframe. It burned his nostril hairs clean off and sent his eyes watering. He assumed that Victoria had gotten around to some spring cleaning, actually got herself back into the kitchen so to speak. Or could’ve hired a maid. Shrugging he put his key through and turned the knob.

What he saw next left him with a very sour taste in his mouth.

It wasn’t a sour taste in Victoria’s mouth, but the bitter taste of alcohol.

She was mid-sip when she heard the click of the front door opening. Her brow furrowed in confusion. Stepping over one of the dead men, Victoria rounded the corner of the kitchen to find Daniel standing in the doorway.

Oh, shiiiit. She sputtered in surprise. Eyes wide, she stared at the lanky man before her as if she’d never seen him before. Suddenly, she felt nearly sober.

In seconds she considered the situation.

A quick glance behind her confirmed that there was no playing this off — her gun still sat openly on top of the kitchen bar, next to that was the bottle of bleach, not to mention the body-shaped mass peeking out from the kitchen floor. Another look confirmed Dick was on the balcony hung-up on the phone. Victoria shifted her attention back to Daniel.

“Hey!” She smiled widely, trying to keep the panic in her gut at bay, “Welcome home!” In an instant she was at the front door, yanking Daniel inside by the strings of his hoodie before closing it hastily. He cannot be here. Witnesses die, it’s just standard practice. If Dick sees him, I’ll definitely have to kill him. But I can’t exactly let him leave now…Her thoughts ran a mile a minute.

She unconsciously tightened her grip on Daniels's hoodie strings. Victoria locked eyes with him, trying to keep him from looking too long at anything else in the apartment. Pursing her lips, Victoria was nearly nauseous by how unprepared she felt. “I didn’t think you got off for a few more hours,” Vicki said incredulously. She sounded eerily at ease, as though she was casually chatting with a friend. In reality, her heart was pounding in her chest. While the whole situation was rather inconvenient, it was the most exciting thing to happen for months. Victoria couldn’t help but love the thrill.

Suddenly, she managed to snap back to reality, back to the seriousness of the situation. There was blood on the collar of her button-down and her hair was still messy from the brief fight. She was caught red-handed. Strangely, she felt hesitant about her options. Victoria had killed people for a lot less than witnessing a murder, but she didn’t really want to kill Daniel.

Her gaze flickered around the apartment — mostly to make sure Dick was still outside — before settling back to Daniel. Victoria scanned his face intensely, looking for any indications of what he was thinking. She could normally glean whether someone was about to choose fight or flight. However, Victoria silently begged for a manageable reaction.

Daniel white knuckled the door knob and as he stared at the scene in front of him. He saw his roommate Victoria choke on a glass of wine, as if he had interrupted her. How the fuck could she be so casual about this? Daniel couldn’t help but tremble at the sight, there was blood...everywhere. His green eyes went wide and flickered from clean up attempt on the floor, to the body-mass that lay, half hazardously covered. All he could see was the mans eyes. They were open, glossed over; the expression held in that mans face was gauntly. His mouth started to salivate, the back of his throat closed, his stomach lurched forward. Before he could let his lunch move past his lips, Victoria grabbed him by his hoodie strings and moved them into a different part of the room.

Daniel swallowed hard as he tried to keep his nausea at bay. He stared at Victoria, really taking in her appearance. Her usual up kept hair was disheveled, matted with specks of dried blood. Her button-up had blood clinging onto the collar. It had looked like she had put up a fight....and won. His eyes searched hers for an answer. Anything that could give way as to what had occurred. But all he got was someone trying to keep themselves from panicking.

His mind was racing with questions, trying his best to piece together a coherent and logical answer as to why. But the way Victoria was looking at him made it clear that he was not suppose to be here. That he was not suppose to find out. He intruded on something very personal that he had unfortunately interrupted. He choked as he felt Victoria pull on his hoodie strings a bit tighter. He cleared his throat. “C-could you let go...please? I can’t, breathe.” He stated weakly. He didn’t want to try anything, he saw that gun, he heard the man outside on the phone. He stood no chance against the two of them, he knew if he tried anything he could be killed and stuffed into trash bag just like the man on their living room floor. He waited very patiently for her answer and tried to keep himself still.

Despite standing a foot taller than her, Daniel wasn’t going to be a threat. His nervous demeanor was enough to disarm him in Vicki’s mind. Plus, when she scanned his eyes she could tell he knew the predicament he was in. ‘He knows he could end up just like that fellow.’ She huffed in frustration, her green gaze flickering back to the crime scene. It was quite the eye-sore. It would be a godsend when the professional cleaners finally arrived. Until then, their kitchen would be unusable, except maybe for coffee. The idea of a hot cup of joe briefly distracted her.

It wasn’t until she felt Daniel tremble in his hoodie that she remembered how gruesome death could be. Especially death in this line of work. Regardless, death was not flattering on anyone. Vicki hadn’t trembled in shock, fear, and disgust since her first few encounters with scenes like the one in their kitchen. She learned to be extremely effective at compartmentalizing. However, Victoria recognized the look of horror on his face. A pang of shame tightened her chest. She considered what it must be like to have to see such ghastly deaths for the first time. If she stared at the kitchen floor long enough with this new perspective, it would have made her nauseous too. But she turned back to Daniel. Victoria had bigger things to worry about than the morality of her existence.

Looking up at Daniel with surprise, Victoria suddenly realized the vice-like grip she had on his hoodie. She’d intended to corral him to her reach, but she hadn’t meant to choke him. With a brief apologetic glance, Victoria let go.

“My bad,” she held her hands up in surrender. Though, she narrowed her eyes ever-so-slightly, ready for any sudden movements from Daniel. ‘One could never be too careful, don’t let your guard down, better safe than sorry...’ Victoria had the idea ingrained in her over the course of several years. Being suspicious was a habit now.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Richard moving on the balcony. He was getting ready to come back inside. ‘Shit.’ No more time to consider the choices, to weigh the options, to decide Daniel’s fate.

“C’mon, Daniel!” Vicki whispered loudly, “Your room, now!” This time she grabbed his forearm, hastily tugging him down the hall. “Look, you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time. If that man sees you,” she jabbed her finger in Dick’s direction, “you’re toast.” Despite better judgment, she drew a finger across her throat, animating that she meant death. Perhaps a little insensitive, but there was no point beating around the bush. “I’d like to avoid that, and I assume you’d like to as well.”

Daniel felt her fingers uncurl from his hoodie strings, finally allowing air to reach his lungs. He took a shallow breath, panting slightly. With a shaky hand, he ran his finger tips over his neck, running along his prominent Adam’s apple. He swallowed, though it didn’t assist the dryness that clung to the back of his throat. He couldn’t be more than relieved to be able to breath again, however the reality of how quickly that privilege could’ve been taken away sent a very cold chill down his spine. He put his hands in his pockets and mumbled a ‘thank you...” her way.

His green eyes flickered to her own narrowing at him expectingly. He knew that he physically couldn’t pull anything, despite towering over her, her physicality and quick wits would overpower him completely. He had no chance in escaping, however in the back of his mind, if he truly needed to; he’d probably take his own life before the two of them could take his. His mind flickered back to the gun sitting on the table. It had to be filled with a let a couple of bullets right? All it would take was one...or if he couldn’t get to it in time; there was always his bedroom window.

Before he could continue, Victoria was already pulling him down the hallway into his bedroom. He looked over and saw her lips moving but nothing truly was registering through his ears, just noise. All he was able to make out was the gesture. Daniel couldn’t help but smirk. He felt her tug him, causing him to speed up the pace. His smirk now turning into a full blown smile. Was this really it? What was the point? He was in the wrong place at the wrong time and at deaths door. Why bother try and fight the inevitable? Why was his roommate trying so hard to save him? Daniel couldn’t wrap his head around it, it wasn’t like they were close. Mostly acquaintances at best that shared a few drinks, but that shouldn’t mean risking whatever was happening on him. But before he knew it they were in his room with the door locked.

Daniel eyed his window, it looked almost inviting. They were only a couple of stories up. This whole mess would be over. Before he knew it, he was slowly making his way over.

After locking the door, Victoria turned on her heels and slumped against it. She took a large swig of rum from her glass before setting it down on Daniel’s nightstand. Though Daniel didn’t know it, this was not Victoria’s first time in his room. Obviously, the moment Vicki had the chance she had snooped through his belongings. She was essentially trained to professionally snoop, anyways; therefore, Victoria thought of the invasion of privacy as practice. Plus, she needed to have an idea of the type of person her roommate was. She did also thoroughly enjoy the adrenaline rush of misbehaving.

Trying not to act too familiar with the space, she looked up to address Daniel.

“Look,” she began, “If you can just not make a noise for an hour or so-” she trailed off as she caught the absent look on Daniel’s face. He was hardly listening to her. Instead, he was eyeing the window longingly. Victoria was no fool.

“What the f*ck are you thinking?” She hissed. In an instant, Victoria was between Daniel and his bedroom window. She threw her hands in the air dramatically, exasperated; she didn’t have time to deal with this. “I can lock you in a closet if you’d prefer that?” Her hands settled on her hips as she rolled her eyes.

It’s true, Victoria had taken a lot of lives, but if anything, it taught her that life is fragile and precious; wasting it when it could be avoided seemed sacrilegious. It wasn’t Daniel's fault he walked in at a rather inconvenient time, and Vicki would have felt a tinge of guilt if he had to pay the price for poor timing.

She didn’t enjoy killing innocent people either. To the best of her knowledge, Daniel wasn’t a horrible person. Even when she rummaged through his room, the worst thing she found was cigarettes. He wasn’t a terrible roommate either. Not obnoxious like some of the last ones.

Plus, there were more practical reasons for keeping him alive: she was still in the middle of a job. The disappearance of her roommate would be a threat to her cover. If she had to eliminate him, her bosses would be resentful over the inconvenience it would cause too. They’d have to come up with some cover story to explain Daniel’s absence, and making people believe a person just up and ran off was much harder than just getting rid of bodies. Her bosses could even take her off the job, and there was no way Victoria would stand for that. She didn’t quit anything she started, ever.

“Would you just sit down, please?” A sigh left her lips, her red lipstick smudged. She pinched the bridge of her nose in vexation. “We don’t have much time to chat.”

Green eyes widened, feet halted to the floor. They searched and landed onto Victoria’s. It seemed as though she had dealt with this particular situation before. Her stance and body language told him enough what he needed to know. Daniel stared for a moment before quickly dropping his gaze, running a hand along his neck; his undercut prickled against his fingertips. He mumbled. “Sorry...” he didn’t pick his head back up. He couldn’t. He was too embarrassed to. He was essentially was caught red handed. Daniel had thought his stoic expression was enough to convince his roommate that all was well, however she was able to read right through him; with such ease and efficiency. It made him very uneasy and rather uncomfortable. His supposed ‘escape’ plan was basically compromised, his best bet was to do as she said at this point.

With a heavy sigh, he backed up onto his bed with a creak. Daniels room was what considered ‘messy’, his clothes were piled in a corner, his alcohol sat at the side of his bed, half smoked and fully smoked cigarettes were scattered about on his bedside table, and little to no wall art for an exception of stains that collected on the center. He didn’t keep many personal items, expect his ID if that counts. However, he knew were everything was. Everything was in there rightful places no matter how ‘messy’ it looked to outsiders. Though, he had no clue Victoria had invited herself in his space on multiple occasions. But he did become a little suspicious at how quickly she was able to find his liquor, it sat behind his lamp to the far left corner of his bedside table.

Daniel sat quietly and ran his hands against his jeans.

Victoria blinked a few times in surprise. Daniel backed down much more quickly than she had expected. Not that she was complaining. As he retreated to the bed Vicki followed, her attention trained on him purposefully.

“First, drink this,” she insisted, pushing the rest of her own drink towards him, “You need it more than I do.” Hopefully, it would sedate him a little. She needed to keep him calm. Her gaze flickered from Daniel’s head to toe in quick evaluation. He was skinny but tall, and based on the amount of alcohol in the room he probably had a decent tolerance. So Victoria plucked a nearly empty bottle of liquor from his bedside collection and shoved it into Daniel’s chest. “And maybe this too, if you need it.”

Trying to gauge his reactivity, she spent a few more seconds regarding him before she dared attempt to lay out the facts.

“Look, those men were going to kill me-” That’s when she heard the rattle of the backdoor handle. Her eyes widened and her expression grew tense. “I gotta go! Stay put, stay quiet!” With that, she was out Daniel’s bedroom door, closing it shut behind her.

Victoria rounded the corner of the hallway just in time to run square into Richard’s chest. “Hey, watch out, Dick,” she proclaimed as if it wasn’t her who had run into him.

“Me?” Richard raised his eyebrows incredulously.

“Well, it’s not like I’m talking to them,” with a tilt of her head Victoria gestured towards the deadmen in the kitchen.

An exasperated sigh left Richard’s lips; he couldn’t wait to get home. Suddenly, he furrowed his brows in suspicion. “What were you doing?” He glanced down the hallway.

Without missing beat, she responded, “I was freshening up.” Victoria looked him right in the eye as she lied to him.

“You look just as bad though,” Richard contended, observing her unchanged bloody shirt, disheveled hair, and smudged makeup. The only thing different about her appearance was the absence of her favorite accessory – a glass of alcohol.

“Now that’s a little rude don’t you think?” She huffed and shoved past her handler into the living room. “Anyways,” she flopped down on the couch. “I didn’t think it was possible for you to look even more uptight.” With a lazy hand wave, she gestured to his lowered brows, narrowed eyes, and set jaw. “Did headquarters shove that stick further up your ass?” Vicki couldn’t help but smile, she did like her own jokes.

Even Richard managed a strained laugh at the jab. “They just said this job is important. We need minimal inconveniences.”

“Got it. No hiccups.” Victoria couldn’t help but think of one rather tall inconvenience sitting in his bedroom as she and Richard spoke. “In all seriousness, I’m not even sure this is related to my current job. I don’t recognize them at all.”

Richard pursed his lips, “We’ll look into it.” When he looked up at Victoria his gaze softened nearly unnoticeably, “You just lookout.”

Vicki noticed but didn’t comment. The two did ruffle each other’s feathers, but in the end, they were on the same team. A brief smile touched her lips to acknowledge his concern.

He brought his wrist up to look at the time on his Rolex. He got it as a bonus one year for his excellence; Victoria remembered because Richard wouldn’t let her forget. “Anyways,” he cleared his throat, “I better be going. The cleanup crew will be here within the hour to handle this.”

With that, he left, Victoria giving him an ironic salute on his way out.

As soon as the door shut behind him, Victoria dashed, still barefoot, down the hall to Daniel’s door. She knocked politely as if the situation were normal, and as if she wasn’t just going to open the door herself if Daniel didn’t within the next few seconds. “Hey, Daniel, it’s all clear for now. We can talk about questions you probably have now.”

Daniel looked at the glass being shoved in front of his face. He inspected it for a moment before taking a sip. One sip lead to another, which lead him to finishing the glass off with a single gulp. He looked up at Victoria for a moment before another bottle of liquor was shoved towards his chest, rather forcefully. He took it with his less dominant hand and set the glass down gently, before unscrewing the top with a POP. He quickly poured himself another drink. He desperately needed this night to end. Chugging all this alcohol could only take some of the edge off. Daniel looked around for a cigarette bud, he quickly lit it and inhaled deeply. For a moment he felt total bliss, the sedate, alcohol, nicotine that was mixed in his bloodstream sent him into an all time high. The corner of his lips curled ever so slightly, his head felt fuzzy, his vision was foggy. It felt as though he was floating.

A deep rumble erupted from his chest, that soon poured past his lips into a low chuckle. Everything was spinning, he groaned softly and laid down on his bed staring up at his cracked ceiling. He couldn’t give less of a fuck to what Victoria was saying. All he was trying to do was to keep from up chucking his lunch onto his bedroom floor. Everything that happened tonight had to be staged somehow. One of those camera crews was gonna burst through the ceiling and claim they were apart of some tv show. That this was all a sick prank to get back at him. It had to be because how the hell was Victoria going to explain what occurred tonight. It couldn’t be real, all of this had to be staged somehow.

He heard a knock at bedroom door. He pondered her statement for a moment and decided it was best to just ask instead of thinking every possible scenario in his head. He swallowed and got to his feet, opening the door. With a cigarette in on hand and glass in the other, he knew this was going to be a long night. “Yeah, I do” he stated firmly. “What the fuck happened? Am I an accessory to murder? Was this all planned? Why were there so many men in this apartment? Why do you look so shitty and...bloody? I don’t understand. And we’re those bodies real? Like did I actually see a dead man on our living room floor.”
His voice weaken as he kept talking, by the time he was done he looked very pale. Reminiscing back on what he saw when he walked into the entry way. He swallowed thickly.

As Richard was leaving the apartment he swore he could faintly smell a cigarette hanging in the air. He knew Vicki didn’t smoke. He glanced to the closed door behind him, considering the possibility that Victoria wasn’t alone – that she hadn’t been truthful with him. Why had she been so dismissive? After a long moment of contemplation, Richard turned on his heels and left the dingy apartments.

Relief washed over Victoria when Daniel’s bedroom door swung open. While she did enjoy kicking down doors, she didn’t think it would help her case with her tall, lanky roommate. Though, she was surprised by his confrontational stance. Earlier he had been hardly present, but now he stood in the doorway as though he was entitled to the answers Vicki had. This facade didn’t last long though. Victoria noticed his voice fading back into disbelief and shock as he spoke.

“Oh, well...” for once, Victoria was at a loss for words. She thought she was more prepared to handle the arsenal of questions Daniel threw at her. The truth was she had never imagined how to explain such a predicament. In any other situation, there would be no explanation, just another body bag. A low sigh escaped while Vicki contemplated. She was prone to getting herself into tight situations – she knew that – but she couldn’t help but scold herself for being so careless. She should’ve double-checked Daniel’s work schedule. Too late to worry about it now.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Victoria strode into Daniel’s bedroom and perched at the bottom corner of his bed. On her way to take a seat, she passed by Daniel’s alcohol stash and snatched a random bottle of liquid courage. She inspected it – vodka. It would suffice. Gesturing to the wrinkled sheets, she invited Daniel to sit. Sheepishly, Victoria rubbed the back of her neck. “So, unfortunately, you did actually see a dead man on our floor.” Victoria didn’t pause to observe his reaction – she didn’t need to – she assumed his expression would merely grow grimmer.

A knowing smile broke out across her lips, “Fortunately, you’re not an accessory to murder because as far as anyone else is considered, there was no murder.” It was clear that Daniel was never supposed to speak of what he witnessed. “But if it makes you feel better,” she countered, “it was self-defense. I got home and they were already here. Those guys were going to kill me, Daniel, and I like living.” She shrugged, obviously satisfied with the notion that their deaths were justified.

“As for looking shitty – rude! I was fighting for my life, thanks.” Victoria put her hands out behind her, resting on her palms on the bed. She blatantly looked him up and down, noting the lack of color in his face. He looked nearly as gaunt as the dead men. “It’s not like you look much better, babe,” she contended. She mumbled under her breath, shaking her head in dismay, “Twice in one day, unbelievable.”

Daniel moved aside to allow her to walk past him; he went ahead and sat in the center of his bed, sitting crisis cross applesauce. He watched as she strode by his liquor stash and quickly helping herself to a bottle of vodka-typical. He unscrewed the cap and poured himself another drink, he placed the bottle in the center just in case if his roommate wanted some. Throwing his head back he took the full glass to his lips and downed it with one gulp. He waited patiently for Victoria to respond to his onslaught of questions. However, he genuinely wasn’t prepared for her answers.
“So your telling me that dead guy on our floor attacked you which than resulted in a “self defense” kill. I can understand that, but what I don’t get is why that man outside, on our balcony was here in the first place? Why was he here? And it seemed to me that if I was seen I was going to get killed and bagged like that man on our living room floor.” He shuddered. “I-I’m just trying to wrap my head around this. But I just have a feeling that there’s more to it than what you’re telling me. But at the same time maybe I don’t wanna know the truth.” He spoke softly, he pulled out another cigarette and lit it. “You know what I’ll just go with what you have to say and just stay ignorant about it. I don’t wanna know.” He quickly interjected.

Daniel inhaled his cigarette and exhaled with a sigh. “Thanks, it takes a while to look this good.” He said with a chuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back