• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Hunting the Ripper (Victorian Era Mystery)

The Omen of Death

My presence has marked your eventual demise.
(As you may be able to guess, this pertains to the Jack the Ripper murders, and trying to solve them. About 95% of this was thoroughly researched and is historically accurate, a tip would be to take various notes on what info is provided, draw conclusions from it, make deductions etc. This isn't meant to be easy, anywho to get started and initiated, and to test the waters for interest the RP won't start with the actual Jack the Ripper murders until a bit later on. So I hope you guys have fun and good luck!"

You are a Private Detective working in London.

Crimes are common and you are frequently called upon to assist the policemen in Scotland Yard. You have been a Detective for a few years now and by combining hard work with intelligence you have had a few successes in uncovering the information that has enabled the Police to arrest wanted criminals.

One evening you are at home when Commissioner James Monro, visits you.

"We would like your help again," he tells you. "A lunatic murderer called James Kelly escaped from Broadmoor Asylum for the Criminally Insane ten days ago. My detectives have investigated and found no trace of him. Perhaps if you look into the case you might be able to find something?”

"I'll see what I can do," you tell Monro who nods.

“I’m glad you can help," he tells you. "I’ll send a telegram to Dr. Orange, the Superintendent at Broadmoor, asking him to meet you tomorrow. He can tell you more about Kelly.”

The next day you take a train out to the Asylum in the heart of the Berkshire countryside. A servant from the Hospital meets you at the station and takes in a horse and carriage through the sleepy village of Crowthorne and up to the gloomy and looming concrete walls of the Hospital. You are shown directly into Orange’s office where the Doctor shakes your hand. He is a middle-aged profession with a no-nonsense attitude.

“I got Commissioner Monro's telegram and I will be glad to help you in any way I can,” he tells you. “We are all rather concerned here: James Kelly was one of our most clever patients and I believe him to be a real danger to the general public, especially women.”

You nod and consider which questions to ask first.

1. "What is Kelly's criminal history?"
2. "How did Kelly escape your institution?"
3. "Where do you think Kelly will go now?"
4. User custom response.

Last edited:
(Choice 1 was chosen with 1 vote)

“Five years ago Kelly stabbed his wife Sarah in the neck with a knife killing her," Dr. Orange tells you. "He believed she was a prostitute who had infected him with a sexually transmitted disease. He surrendered at once to policemen and became very remorseful afterward, claiming he was mad. At the trial, he was originally sentenced to be executed but at an appeal, he was found mentally unfit and sentenced to life imprisonment at this facility. During his time here Kelly has shown no violent tendencies and in fact displayed no signs of insanity whatsoever. I would say he was one of the cleverest patients we've ever had here."

1. "How did Kelly escape your institution?"
2. "Where do you think Kelly will go now?"
3. User Custom Response

(Choice 1 was chosen with 1 vote! Also, I posted an interest check last night, and it hasn't gotten any replies, so might as well keep going and see what happens)

"Kelly and another prisoner called George Shatten both play instruments in the Asylum’s band," Dr. Orange tells you. "On the evening Kelly escaped they went out into the garden where the band meet to practice. When the rest of the band joined them an hour later only Shatten was still there. When we searched him we found two keys that he and Kelly had carved made out of some metal they found in the asylum’s garden. Kelly used this to let himself through a gate in the inner wall and afterwards climbed the six-foot high outer wall. He vanished without a trace but guards do report seeing a man called John Merritt near the Hospital during the day yesterday. He is an old friend of Kelly’s and visits him occasionally.”

1. "Where do you think Kelly will go now?"
2. Custom User Response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back