• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Hunters of Vernae ( The Vernae Files. 7/17 Slots Left. )

Light

M.A.R.C.Y.
Within the universe, there are two parallel galaxies that shouldn’t have crossed paths, lest an ill-fated existence would ensue. The human galaxy and the galaxy of the Vernae, a mysterious supernatural species ended up colliding long ago due to mysterious influence. Due to their collision being unnatural, both worlds failed to completely fuse into one, leaving a thin veil separating the two intact. Occasionally, due to pushing from the world of the Vernae, holes appear in this veil and both sides are able to pass through, these holes are defined as rifts. Rifts act as an expanding gateway once opened, taking on the appearance of an open wound within the world, displaying the neighboring galaxy on the other side. Once a rift is opened, it can only grow unless it is sealed through the death of it’s cause.

In most cases, the creator of these rifts are Vernae, seeking out a new world to release their power in. Each Vernae shares a similar trait when it comes to developing power, Aura Stems. The strength of a Vernae is represented through the reach of invisible stems of aura that extend from their body like hair. The farther and higher they go, the stronger the Vernae. Within their world, the environment and other Vernae inhabit all the space and apply aura pressure, which makes it difficult for weaker Vernae to grow stems. It’s comparable to something small going too far underwater, it gets crushed from the amount of pressure but in this case, power development is what’s being squeezed. This is exactly why Vernae take any opportunity they can to jump into Earth, a world with no aura stems to hold their development back. What assists Vernae in this task is the ability each one of them share, possession and contract creation. Once they enter Earth, possessing a cherished object or living being is their go to. Not all objects can be possessed, not until it’s given a purpose through living beings, like a family heirloom. When it comes to living beings, a contract must be made between the two with the most powerful having the majority say in what happens.

Within the past, there have been zero cases where a human has come out on top, until February 1st, 1989. Zack Kingsley ended up being possessed by a Vernae that had no idea what it’s ability was, simply because it was centered around possession, something it hadn’t done before. This Vernae’s ability-or curse even, was that it and any Vernae under its jurisdiction would have even ground with whomever it possessed. With a Vernae at his side and a fair contract, Zack made it his job to hunt down and expel all invading Vernae on his solo expedition until 2001. This was the year he decided to obtain Vernae for his closest colleagues and create an organization under his jurisdiction in America. This organization collected more than 7,000 Vernae over the course of a few years while managing to keep their existence mostly under wraps until 2008. This was the year when Vernae became public knowledge and an humanity began to change itself accordingly. Zack Kingsley disappeared shortly afterwards, still holding the organization under his name for the sake of the curse to stay in effect for new Vernae. Those who were curious, brave, or greedy signed up to join the fight against Vernae. Though since the hunting and capturing of Vernae by this organization was deemed illegal, many either stayed with the organization or simply became a self-employed hunter, living in secrecy as they tour the world in search for Vernae activity. The main base of operations relocated where law enforcement could not find them. Once they felt safe hiding their base underground in the Amazon rainforest, they allowed the remaining loyal hunters to recruit those they feel are suited towards the task. Since the military was expected to handle Vernae upsurges now, agents had to work against them while fighting Vernae and keeping the military from gaining a successful capture on both themself and the supernatural target. This meant hunters had to track faster, kill faster, and use necessary force on the military if need be. The reason why most hunters can’t quit their job now is because the information leak in 2008, which revealed the names, faces, and address of all hunters.

Vernae are contained within weapons and the hunter must present their blood towards the weapon to make contact. Making contact allows the Vernae to inhabit one’s soul temporarily to form a contract. Once a contract is formed, the hunter may keep the weapon which will only be useful against those between the line of human and Vernae, other hunters. The weapon will phase harmlessly through any other being. Nowadays wild hunters have been known to target and kill other hunters to collect their weapon and Vernae stored within it to gain more power. A hunter can stack Vernae but an individual contract will need to be made with each new Vernae and they can only be used one at a time. Once a contract is made, typically a hunter is allowed to transform into the Vernae and use all of their abilities consciously. The Vernae will reside within the hunter’s soul, being able to access all memories and thoughts as well as communicate at any moment. Hunters also gain the ability to understand the language of the Vernae, see Aura Stems, and regenerate at reasonably fast speeds. Organ damage would take a few days to heal while removed limbs would take a few hours. Being able to sense new rifts become second nature to hunters due to their Vernae and traveling into their world is safe for them as well. For regular humans, the air has slight acidity which will kill them after a long period of time. The downside of forming a contract is that Aura Stems come from the human body as well as the transformed Vernae body, so hiding from other hunters is impossible, unless they’re experienced enough to know how to conceal stems. Another downside is the sudden halt in stem growth for the contracted Vernae. Without external stimuli, which is rare to find, their power will stagnate.

Currently in the year 2028, there have been an upsurge in rifts and an alarming decline of hunters within the human world. Migration to the world of the Vernae, military arrests, hunter on hunter violence, and being killed by Vernae are large factors as to why hunters have been on the decline. Zack Kingsley is currently still missing, and the organization hasn’t had any recruits swing by in the last two years. The military have a very low success rate and destruction is at a all time high due to the low recruit turnout. Within a world that changed so fast, with new types of Vernae appearing left and right, what will you do?

Types of Vernae

Vernae are naturally born or are born from large bonfires as babies that are old enough to walk and eat solid food. Each bonfire are at least the size of buildings, constantly spawning Vernae with random breaks. Each bonfire spawns a specific type of race of Vernae, they’re all 60 feet away from each other with the Heartborne bonfire being within the center and the largest. Vernae come in all shapes and sizes, each holding their own unique power, blessing, or curse. One material within their world that is known to counteract all powers and blessings happens to be a Vrey crystal. These crystals are difficult to find but are easy to mine. They come a pitch black color, emanating a purple gas. Once used, these crystals seem to shatter. Vernae’s power is measured by the Aura Stems from their body. It grows like hair does from a human body and can only be seen by hunters or Vernae. The more aura that stems from their body and the farther it reaches, the stronger the Vernae is since the pressure of the worlds aura cannot compress its power. Vernae are capable of possession and contracts.

Mystic: Not much are known but the Mystic type of Vernae. They aren’t born from bonfires, they just appear fully grown. This category is specifically for the unknown. Any type of Vernae that cannot be classified or slightly defy some form of a natural law are automatically thrown into the unknown pile of Mystic. Researchers still can not grasp where they come from or how their powers work. It’s best to stay clear of all Mystic type Vernae unless they’re an imminent threat.

Mimicar: These Vernae share human qualities and body type. They’re considered to be the weakest of the Vernae naturally since they are more human than anything. What sets them on par with other Vernae or even above are the blessings that they’re born with. These blessings can do a variety of things that help them excel within their world. They’re easily distinguishable since they’re humanoid in most cases.

Hearthborne: This type of Vernae are considered to be more mythical than all the other types. Some literary monsters are similar or reflect some Heartborne. Most Heartborne are born with a curse rather than a power or blessing correspondent to their size in most cases. The reason why they’re called Hearthborne happens to be because they’re born from the center bonfire, the largest of the few.

Lightborne: Lightborne are gentle in nature, often mastering healing or pacifistic magic. Despite this research, there are some Lightborne known to have random fits of aggression, often around Darkborne. They’re active exclusively during the day and are sometimes found nurturing the young of other types of Vernae.

Darkborne: Devious, hateful, and are naturally inclined to be aggressive. They love to fool others and ensnare other Vernae within contracts. These contracts enable dominance over its life, adding to the Darkborne’s power within the Hierarchy. Darkborne function like a human society built off of strength and slavery. If you’re strong and own a lot of Vernae, you’re considered to be high on the pyramid. Once you’re higher than another Darkborne, you have the natural right to dictate whether or not you own them, they live, or die. This is why Darkborne are a constant threat to themselves and other types as they continue to enslave others and drag other Vernae into this pyramid scheme.

Hybrid: Hybrid Vernae are born from colliding embers of different bonfires or through natural union of different Vernae. They hold both the strengths and weaknesses of both types.

Character Sheet
Appearance:
Name:

Height:
Weight:
Birthday:
Sexuality:
Ethnicity:

Personality:

Most Positive Trait:
Most Negative Trait:

History (Optional):
Extra:

Vernae: ( Will be assigned once your character is accepted. Receiving a Vernae is based off of luck since I'm spinning a wheel to decide which one you'll get. This is an example of a Hybrid Vernae of Mystic and Lightborne. )
bca341dce609c8e1d5e8dfd20459a30a.jpg

Last edited:
This seems interesting. Personally id prefer if we could make our own vernae but i understand why it is needed otherwise.

If i could pick my own it'd be a big whale sized writhing mass of tentacles.

This seems interesting. Personally id prefer if we could make our own vernae but i understand why it is needed otherwise.

If i could pick my own it'd be a big whale sized writhing mass of tentacles.

There will be new Vernae that you can contract with as the RP goes by or as you steal them from other hunters but I doubt personal creation will be allowed any time soon. Im glad that you find this interesting and I do have a picture like that actually. Would you say that you’re willing to join?

Here are the photos:

7ECEF434-8254-4F07-B7BD-E8C36B9BCFD5.jpeg
993DAAA9-FF44-49FC-8B2C-094E403B33A6.jpeg
AAA5493D-2192-4B49-A1F7-B38D8535425B.jpeg
BE510B93-8D68-4995-BAEF-A2454AF6FAD7.jpeg

Most assuredly even if i cant pick my own its got a sorta lovecraftian feel to it that im excited for . Gotta live that emrakul thats exactly who i was thinking of when i said what i did.

Most assuredly even if i cant pick my own its got a sorta lovecraftian feel to it that im excited for . Gotta live that emrakul thats exactly who i was thinking of when i said what i did.

Personally I’m excited as well. I just wish there were more people to get this started as soon as possible. I’ll post the character sheet tab within the hour and the overview so you can check out the rules, additional information, and post your character!

I'm interested in joining as well, I'll check out that additional info when you get it posted. Sounds really unique so far!

Personally I’m excited as well. I just wish there were more people to get this started as soon as possible. I’ll post the character sheet tab within the hour and the overview so you can check out the rules, additional information, and post your character!

Awesome tag me when your done

Random question but what kind of face claims will be used? Simply asking bc I'm not a personal fan of illustrated, I tend to lean towards realistic myself.

Face claim types are important to most others but it doesn't matter either way to me. I don't mind having both within my rp, it's been done before and there really isn't any actual issue with it in my opinion. An appearance is simply how you want people to look at your character, it's not exactly reality defining xD. Do as you like.

Thank you all for letting me know about your interest in this roleplay. Here is the additional information! Fantasy - Hunters of Vernae ( Overview )
Ok now i am really hyped. I can follow these rules and the implementation of the (!) system grants a good chance for bouncing back from an attack.

So are the abilities of each Vernae also chosen by the system? Or do we select them based off of the vernae we recieve.

younghaunting younghaunting WeaselThor WeaselThor ebb ebb The pages have all been linked. The character sheet page is available.

Ok now i am really hyped. I can follow these rules and the implementation of the (!) system grants a good chance for bouncing back from an attack.

So are the abilities of each Vernae also chosen by the system? Or do we select them based off of the vernae we recieve.

Thank you, I'm quite fond of my ( ! ) system, it makes combat realistically dangerous yet fair at the same time. Not by the system, each Vernae is born with their own unique ability unless they're Hearthborne. There are two qualities to a Vernae. Their specialty, which dictates their physical role and natural abilities (Assassin, Warrior, Mage, etc.). Second is their power, which is a supernatural ability. Hearthborne happen to have more in the physical specialty which is why they have a curse instead of a power to even out with other Vernae types. All of the Vernae I have on hand at the moment all have unique abilities I crafted suited towards them. I think you'll find them to be quite interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back