• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Howl's Flying Castle (Finished! ---Whoo! (*^▽^)/)

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

Tears fell down the emperor's fierce eyes."She hurt you."

His grip on her robes tightened. When she froze, looking at her son, he saw the same yearning to make things right --- no, not the same, it was greater, and filled with many, many years, of bearing hardship, anxiety, hoping, and searching, the will of a mother's love. Chenglei's voice washed his anger away. Lowering his sword, he released her.

"I'll be down the hall." he said, and held Chenglei's hand tightly for a moment, before leaving the two alone.

Last edited:
Chenglei wiped his tears away as Kenren released the woman and lowered his sword. He kissed his wet cheek and squeezed his hand back. "Okay..."

The mother and son watched the emperor walk away for a moment. The silence between them was tense and awkward. Then he peeked to his side when he heard her clothes rustling. Her legs bucked underneath and she fell to the floor; completely shaken from what just transpired. "..."

"Mother..." She jumped in her spot, looking up to see her son's blank face. He kneel down so they can stay in the same eye-level. "Are you okay?"

Her wet ash purple eyes widened at the question, looking a bit puffy from her crying before. "...I-I'll be fine...j-just startled...I haven't been that scared in a long time...not since he found out about Tsumiki too."

"Who is 'he'? Who are you talking about?" Chenglei wanted to know. After what she said, about him being sick, she actually cared about him? His mother hesitated but then she sighed and looked at her koto.

Kenren, who's down the hallway, can hear them talking quietly. Probably Chenglei asking questions while his mother answered. Suddenly he heard Chenglei say "Wha' do ya mean it was meh father ya were runnin' away? Wait! So...meh father isn't Oriental? I knew Tsumiki an' I ar' from different fathers, Granny told us but... Wha-? Explain!"

"Chenglei, dear. Please. I know it's a lot to take in-"

"Nah kiddin'! Den-! All dis time, ya-"

"Dear, shh." If Kenren ever got curious and peeked in, he would see Ms. Zhou delicately cupped his son's face. The blonde is extremely surprised, confused, and horrified at what he found out so far. She was trying to calm him down, rubbing his cheeks with her thumbs. There was a quirk at the corner of her lips as her eyes shined about something. Happy about it.

"...I know this is off topic...but...you grew bigger..."

"Of course I have-"

"Yes...but it's...it's mind blowing to me. You were so small the last time I saw you- with chubby round red cheeks and bright wide eyes that screamed adventure and now...look at you." She tucked his hair behind his ear, her small smile grew as she took in all the different details. Chenglei's face and ears turned red. "You're taller then me, accomplished so much on your own, and you found a home to call your own with someone who loves you dearly-"

She sighed, her smile look heart-warmingly sincere. "I know I have no right to be your mother, not after leaving you and Tsumiki and not finding a better solution. I'm sorry for what my actions have caused you but know that I do love you. I've always thought about you and Tsumiki all these years. You two are my only reason to even wake up in hopes of finding you."

"...Why didja hide yur face den?"

"...Because...I didn't want to bother you. I wanted to watch afar and not interrupt you in your lives."

"So why didja come 'ere if ya didn't want tuh botha' meh?"

"...I heard that someone aimed for you a few months ago." Her brows furrowed in worry as she frowned. "News don't reach fast where I was and when I first heard about it, I was overwhelmed in panic. Even worse when I found out that it happened a few weeks after I heard about it. So I wanted to see you were okay with my own eyes and the only way I thought would be perfect to come in the palace is when musicians are hired for New Years."

"Ya mean...Ya came 'ere tuh check on meh? Why?"

"Because I love you. I've always love you and Tsumiki too."

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:

- Kenren Taisho -

" Palace, The Orients "

Kenren was inside a broom closet, half-open, as he watched Chenglei's mom cup his cheek. He was too far to hear anything except for when Chenglei exclaimed loudly. He heard about the father part, and it just sunk into him that he was wrong about her.

He realized he was still holding his sword, and sheathed it.

Her smile reminded him of his mom's smile. They're probaby going to talk a while and he eventually fell asleep in the cupboard.

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
It did take the mother and son pair a while as they talked. Years of needed conversation happened all at once that night and with each reassurance he got from his mother, a little more of his hurt went away. They even hugged and laughed together about what happened to them in the past. It wasn't until early morning did Chenglei realize how long they talked, so he went to find Kenren.

Imagine his surprise to find him asleep in the broom closet.

"Poor dear...must have waited here until you were done." Ms. Zhou quietly said, peering under his arm. She leaned down to gently check his forehead for a moment. "...No fever, but his muscles are going to ache if he stays here any longer."

"I'll tak' 'im tuh our room...would ya...um..." Chenglei stuttered as he carefully cradled his sleeping love in his arms, nuzzling his head with his cheek. "Would ya lik' tuh drink tea wit' meh and Tsu-chan? Latah, I mean."

"Yes, I would love to." She smiled warmly at her son, patting his arm gently. With a calm and awkwardly cute 'Good-bye', Chenglei walked to their bedroom in the palace, shut the door, and laid the emperor on their bed; tucking him in and fluffing his pillow. Then he kissed his cheek.

When Kenren woke up, he'd find himself in loose and comfortable clothes to sleep in. Then he'd see Chenglei doing paperwork on the bed beside him, quietly writing with a brush. There were moments where he'd stop and turn completely red with a humbled smile, his ash purple eyes looked at him for the umpteenth time. "Good mornin', Ken'en." He kissed him, the ink from the brush dripped on his arm when he leaned down.

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

"The ink!" said Kenren, catching it with his hand as Chenglei's lips kissed his forehead instead. "Good morning, Chenglei." he smiled, wriggling up for a proper good morning kiss. "Why are you red?" he noticed that he wasn't wearing the clothes he wore yesterday. "Did your talk with your mom go well?"

Katsuya Katsuya

Chenglei chuckled in the kiss, amused by his love's reaction.

"Yes. It went well." Putting the ink brush down on the holder, he shuffled closer to the emperor to hug him close. He can feel his heart racing. "I'm just...really flustered an' happy...an' confused but okay..." He smiled rather timidly, his red face is now a shade darker. "We're gonna hav' tea togetha latah...do ya want tuh come? I'll be gettin' Tsumiki too...."

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

Kenren hugged him with his elbows. "Yes, I want to come. I need to apologize to your mom." He rubbed his back with his ink-less hand. "I'm glad for you, Chenglei. She came all this way. I wonder how Tsumiki and granny are going to react? Are you okay?" he added, looking at his reddening face. "Are you shy around her?"

Katsuya Katsuya

"..." Chenglei looked down at his hands, twiddling his fingers. "I...I dun' ... Yea." He admitted, now reaching for a towel and wiped the ink away from Kenren's hand.

"..." It has always been like that with Chenglei. Whenever an older woman, like Mrs. Taisho, acts all motherly towards the blonde, he turns red and stays really still. Really awkward. He's not used to having a mother figure. It's why he acted rude towards his grandmother whenever she does something nice and she understood, playing along with his antics in the past. Now that he knows his own mother actually still cares for him...he doesn't know what to do.

He couldn't really ask Kenren on how to be a son either...could he?!

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

"Thanks." said Kenren, now able to hug him with both hands. He snuggled into his chest. "It's alright, Chenglei, just be awkward. Be yourself, it's okay. Mothers want to have a heart-to-heart conversation, trust me, one nervous word from your heart is better than a thousand calm eloquent words." he rubbed his back reassuringly.

Katsuya Katsuya

Chenglei hugged back tightly, hiding his face in Kenren's silky hair and breathed in.

"Ar'...ar' ya sure?" He asked timidly, sounding insecure but hoping what Kenren said is true.

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

"Yes, someone who loves you is like Tsumiki or me when we talk. We want to connect with your heart, Chenglei." he placed a hand on his chest. "With your real, raw self. We don't even think about our words, they just come as we talk all simple, relaxed, and free. Free to express our clumsiness too." he tickled him.

"Don't worry, your mom looks like she's been wanting to see you for a long, long time, she wouldn't care about you being awkward. You want to reconnect with her, right? She'll feel that, and that's all that matters."

Katsuya Katsuya

Chenglei shyly nodded, breathing in his love's comforting scent. Then he tensed up and tried to roll away from his tickling hands, laughing. Only to fall on the bed, wiggling and squirming underneath Kenren's hands as he tickled his sides.

"Ku-fufufufu~! O-O-Okay! Ye-yea, I-I d-do! K-fufu! K-Ken'en-! " Gasping, he tickled the emperor back, his face is red again but this time from laughing.

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

Kenren curled on top of him, laughing too, as he wrestled Chenglei into 'Ku~kufufu-ing' submission. He smiled, caressed his hair, then kissed his forehead, as they lay gasping on the bed, out of breath from laughing too much.

"You'll be alright, Chenglei. You can do it." he held his hand.

Before tea time, the emperor went with him to pick up Tsumiki, keeping mum about what was going on and letting her big brother do the talking.

Their usual veranda was quieter than usual, as though the place had been cleared of servants and court members for today. Only Chenglei and Kenren's most trusted men were around, and it seems as though the decorations have been put up early in this wing of the palace.

Katsuya Katsuya

Last edited:
Chenglei held his hand, squeezing as he felt a little reassured. He brought his hand up and close to his chest; his heart is beating really fast. "Thank ya...Ken'en..."

When the couple left together to pick up Tsumiki, the blonde nervously stuttered to his sister as he realized that he needed to be the one to say it. Which she raised a brow curiously at the silent emperor and the stammering consort. What made her brother be this ... awkward? Why is the veranda so quiet? Servants and kids usually are around to play- this is weird.

"Lei-lei. Calm down, you're not making any lick of sense. What are you saying?"

"Um...uhhhh We- We're gonna hav' t-t-te-tea wit' s-someone."

"...Okay? Is that why you're stuttering like that? You're usually so confident when having tea with others- who could make you this nervous?"

"Uh..Ya'll see...very soon." Tsumiki looked annoyed, not willing to sit down until she gets answers. "No, tell me right now, you two. Who are we having tea today? Tell me-"

There was a tiny gasp by the entrance and the siblings swerved their heads towards the doors where they can see a woman around her late fifties. Tsumiki stayed quiet, eyes wide as she stared back at the woman. Chengei stood up and waved at her to come closer. "Tsu-chan...this is our mother...we're havin' tea wit' her today."

Ms. Zhou tentatively came a little closer, walking up to her kids and reached out to cup Tsumiki's cheeks; rubbing with her thumbs.

"...You've grown-"

"Mother! Oh my goodness- Mother!" Tsumiki practically tackled the older woman and they hugged tightly. Ms. Zhou nuzzled and patted her head, muttering comforting words as the younger started to tear up.

Chenglei stood beside Kenren with a small smile at the reunion, sighing a quiet relief. He held his hand and squeezed again. "Tsumiki was too young when mother dropped her off to Granny." He whispered to the emperor. "I dun' kno' wha' she told her, but she nevah had...she didn't have insecurities while growin' up."

Zer0 Zer0

Last edited:
- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

"You're welcome." he kissed his forehead.

Later, as they stood hand in hand watching mommy Zhou and and Tsumiki hugging, Kenren squeezed his hand. "I know. Chenglei, lift your chin up from the past and look at what's in front of you now, and join their hug." He said encouragingly, and gave him a gentle push forward.

Katsuya Katsuya

Chenglei took a step when Kenren gently pushed him forward, looking back at him with a bit of uncertainty. Taking a deep breathe, he straightened up and walked closer to the hugging women until he stopped within an arm's reach. He twiddled his fingers, his feet shuffled a bit as he wondered if this is all a cruel dream or something-

"Chenglei..." A rough and dainty hand lightly grabbed his sleeve, tugging him to come closer; breaking his doubt. He looked up, his mother and sister are smiling at him as the older tugged him again. Mommy Zhou wrapped her arms around her kids and squeeeeeezeed them tightly. He couldn't breathe-! Tsumiki choked out her laugh as their mother continued to squeeze them.

How strong is this lady?!

"Ohhhh~! I missed the both of you!! I missed hugging you and squeezing you and cuddling you and-" She kissed their cheeks a bunch of times while squeezing tighter and tighter. Nuzzling their heads with her cheeks and ruffling their hair- So this is real? She's really here, is what Chenglei is thinking as his face turned redder and redder; bashful and a bit embarrassed but happy all the same.

"I remembered how Chenglei just love to run in the ponds and play tag with the fishes- Well, until he covered himself with bread and the tiny fishes would just eat it off him. It's so cute how you kept screaming 'Fish eat me!' " Okaaaaay, now he's just embarrassed.

"Mmmaaaaaa~!!!" He groaned, placing a hand on her arm and froze in place when she kissed his cheek again. He felt conflicted and flustered and happy and- a bunch of other things but right now he rather not know how he got his fish fear.

Tsumiki just laughed, waving and flailing her arms up as she tries to wiggle her way out. "Let's have tea and you can tell us more about Chenglei's fear of fishes-"

"How about nah?!" He retorted to his sister, now trying to wiggle himself out to hide behind Kenren.

"Oh! That's a good idea! I don't mind sharing about you two when you were little." His mother said calmly, smiling with charm. Then she looked at the emperor, hesitating for a moment but then she said: "Would you like to hear as well, Emperor Kenren?"

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

Kenren was looking a little bit guilty --- talk about hesitating too --- but he inclined his head humbly, saying, "Yes, I would like that very much, Mrs. Zhou."

He smiled as he watched Chenglei squirm, embarrassed, as their mom told them about his fear of fishes. "Fish eat me." he repeated, chuckling, poking his love's side. Kenren served her tea and listened, as for the first time, he learned all about Chenglei's childhood, putting all her words to heart. He listened about Tsumiki's baby days too, and teased them both when he learned about the funny things they did.

Chenglei knew Kenren's childhood very well from Mrs. Taisho. He used to store toads in his little pants and sit in a puddle of his pee and slap it all around. There was also one time he thought that a pepper was a baby carrot and ate it whole, only to come running out of the pantry crying for water, but his mom gave him milk instead, teaching him that if you ever eat something spicy, drink milk, because water will only spread it around.

It was like a new page to Chenglei's life, and Kenren in turn told Mrs. Zhou about what Chenglei has done for him and the Orients, and how he, Tsumiki, and granny had saved his and his mom's life when they were younger.

Katsuya Katsuya

"Chunsao..." She said, smiling a bit. "My name is Chunsao...or just call me Mommy Zhou since you are together with my son."

"Ma, I dun think he can-"

"He declared you as his consort. That means he's going to be my son-in-law." She pointed out. Chenglei just sighed at his mother's logic---Can that even work that way?!---and flinched when Kenren poked his side. His red face turned a shade darker as he groaned in embarrassment.

As they sat down and listened to their mother revealing more embarrassing memories of their childhood, the blonde just munched on the snacks in front of him like a hamster while Tsumiki is leaning forward, interested to know more though she poked back at Kenren whenever he teased them.

Mommy Zhou mentioned how Tsumiki said 'hi' to the fire whenever they start up the oven; how Chenglei used to make a biiiiig kick to the ball only to trip on it; how they tended to run around naked in the house and would just fall in the mud puddles; how whenever Tsumiki's father played peek-a-boo, she would scream and run away from him to get a twig, waving it around while mumbling something. "I believe she was copying one of the temple priestesses we visited before. When she was talking to a spirit." Mommy Zhou giggled.

Then as she listened to Kenren and his memories of her kids and mother, the older woman looked proud yet a bit sad. "You three went through a lot...I heard of the great war between the evil dragon and your group of friends while traveling. Honestly I'm relieved that you survived; all of you."

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

"We had each other and friends to rely on." said Kenren, looking at Chenglei warmly. "Near the last battle, I was heavily wounded, but Chenglei took command of our army and broke through the ranks of our enemies. He fought bravely, and held Valdanr down, allowing our friends to seal his soul away, Mom-mommy Zhou." he tried the name out.

He looked for an opportunity to apologize. He didn't want Tsumiki to know that he had drawn his sword on her --- their mom, so as soon as it was just her and him alone, he bowed. "I'm sorry for hurting and scaring you, Mrs. Zhou. I had been hating you for a long time, thinking you had abandoned Chenglei and gave him his fears, but you were protecting him. Last night, all the anger I had bottled up for you came out, and I didn't listen to you properly. I'm sorry."

Katsuya Katsuya

Chenglei just continued to eat the snacks until they were gone, his face still red and thought of getting more snacks. Tsumiki decided to do the same and went with him, teasing him only to have him ruffle her hair and ran away. She chased him to the kitchen after gasping: "You messed my hair-! Come back here!"

Ms. Zhou giggled, sipping her tea as she hears the fading laughter of her kids and their footsteps. Feeling complete now that she's here with them. "Hm?" Her eyes widened in surprise when Kenren apologized. There was a moment of silence and she stared at the teacup in her hands.

Clink

Her clothes rustled as she reached out and tentatively placed a gentle hand under his chin, lifting his head up. She smiled warmly at him. "You really love my son, huh?" Ms. Zhou stood up, reaching for his hands just so he can stop bowing and motherly tucked his hair behind his ear. "It's okay. you were just protecting him. I can understand that."

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

"Yes, I do." he didn't know what to say about what he did being okay, so he just lowered his eyes. "He is kind like you." he said, realizing where Chenglei got his soft heart and come to think of it, protectiveness from too. "Thank you for bringing him into this world and for protecting him. Right now he is very shy and a little flustered, but he told me this morning that he feels happy. Our palace is your home, Mommy Zhou, you and your friends are welcome to stay here."

Katsuya Katsuya

"Thank you for welcoming us but I must ask my companions if they would want to stay here." She bowed. "You see, we're used to traveling and I don't know if my companions are the types who'd want to stay in one place for too long. I will let them know either way..."

When she looked up, Kenren can see that her face is pink as she smiled with a charm of a puppy. "Thank you for being there for Chenglei and Tsumiki all these years. I'm in your debt, Emperor Kenren."

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

So that's where Chenglei got his puppy charm. That made Kenren smiled, "You are welcome, Mommy Zhou." he bowed.

Chenglei and Tsumiki would find Kenren chatting more openly and at ease with their mother when they returned, the emperor winking at his love playfully for some reason. He personally invited the rest of the musicians to stay for as long as they wished and said they can invite their families over at the palace for the holidays too. Kenren was still chuckling at Chenglei after tea, saying, "Eat me fishes!"

Katsuya Katsuya

Chenglei raised a brow at Kenren when he winked at him, blushing a bit. Ms. Zhou didn't expect him to personally invite the rest of the musicians to stay or letting their families stay for the holidays; something that got the musicians to ponder on the decision of staying or leaving.

After having tea, Tsumiki wanted to show their mother the whole palace (secretly show off to her mentor) and left the couple alone. To which Chenglei pouted at Kenren, completely red again. "At least I wasn't waddling in my puddle of pee." He retorted, poking his sides.

He pranked Kenren later that day. Whenever he gets an idea and tells his closest men about it, Chenglei would hold up a light bulb above his head and lights it up with his lightening magic. Then he runs off before the emperor would catch him.

Zer0 Zer0

- Kenren Taisho -
" Palace, The Orients "

Kenren jerked to the side, laughing, "Touche!"

The emperor gave him a deadpanned expression every time he lit the light bulb, it made Kenren look silly. After he was done giving his men instructions, he'd then hunt Chenglei down saying, "Chenglei, come here, I have an idea!"

He whizzed pass Chunsao, as he chased him around, one of the servants telling her that this is normal, "They're like this at least once a week. And then . . . " there was a thud somewhere, and then they could hear a lot of muffled flirty innuendos from Kenren's voice. " . . . this is the part where we have to get out of ear shot, my lady." she said quite at ease as masked shinobi started appearing out of the shadows to ward the place off with their magic.

The secret agents were very fluid in their movements, as though they were used to this. And stood guard without budging, and then they left as though they were never there, lifting their magic, before a tousle haired Kenren came out of the hallway, holding hands with her son who had red marks on his neck.

Katsuya Katsuya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back