Advice/Help How to start ?

Alan Dunn

Lurker
Hello everybody, I just landed here and am a complete newbie, it's the first time I look into roleplaying. Right now I am reading some tutorials here and later I'll google some more.

After few weeks, I plan to join a group roleplay, so my first question is very specific: How to do that ? First step is to send a private message to the thread creator and request acceptance or something else ?

A related question is about the fact that many of the group RP threads I've checked don't specify whether they are accepting people or are closed or dead or whatever. Or at least I could not find that information. Which also means maybe I should ignore threads inactive during the last week ? Dunno.

Next question would be asking for suggestions to come up with some training steps to help my progress, since I also have very little experience writing. For example, I'm thinking I should start by creating few characters.

Also, I feel there is an obstacle that I'm not sure how to overcome, which is that I don't have deep / specific knowledge in a certain area. For example, I've been thinking that I might enjoy sci-fi roleplays, but I feel I don't have the skills to describe how a starship operates or flies, etc. Which, of course, applies to other aspects of a sci-fi universe. Maybe this leaves me with real world roleplays, not sure ...

Hello! Welcome to the world of roleplaying :)

You already mentioned reading tutorials, but I just want to draw your attention to a couple of them:
In particular, section about Roleplay recruitment

And this one about creating a roleplay
How to Create a Roleplay

After few weeks, I plan to join a group roleplay, so my first question is very specific: How to do that ? First step is to send a private message to the thread creator and request acceptance or something else ?
Pretty much that, you are correct.
First you may want to check Recruitment section to see which Group roleplays are currently accepting players. You may also send a message to thread creator and ask if their roleplay is accepting. If it is, they'll direct you what to do next.

A related question is about the fact that many of the group RP threads I've checked don't specify whether they are accepting people or are closed or dead or whatever. Or at least I could not find that information. Which also means maybe I should ignore threads inactive during the last week ? Dunno.
If they're accepting, they should have a Recruitment thread in Group Interest Checks. So if there is a specific roleplay you liked, check Recruitment section first!

You are not wrong saying that inactive roleplays might not be worth joining since they're, well, inactive. Some of those may just be slow moving, however. So just check if there is active recruitment going on. If there isn't, there is a high chance roleplay was already dropped.

Next question would be asking for suggestions to come up with some training steps to help my progress, since I also have very little experience writing. For example, I'm thinking I should start by creating few characters.
Honestly, that's quite individual and may be different for everyone.

You can practice describing your characters and showcase them in Character Showcase & Feedback
They do not have to be related to any specific roleplay.

When you create characters for a specific roleplay you want to join, usually every roleplay has its own rules for making characters and you should follow them.

It may be a good practice to just browse through several ongoing threads and see how things are done there to familiarize yourself with forum roleplaying patterns.

Also, I feel there is an obstacle that I'm not sure how to overcome, which is that I don't have deep / specific knowledge in a certain area. For example, I've been thinking that I might enjoy sci-fi roleplays, but I feel I don't have the skills to describe how a starship operates or flies, etc. Which, of course, applies to other aspects of a sci-fi universe. Maybe this leaves me with real world roleplays, not sure ...
That can probably be improved by reading sci-fi stories / watching movies and doing some research if you want to be accurate enough. Again, that may depend on the roleplay. Some focus a lot on technical things for added 'realism', some are okay if you wing it and make it sound believable enough whether it makes sense or no lol It's the same thing like in fantasy roleplays, you don't have to BE a wizard to PLAY a wizard. Same you don't need to be a pilot in real life to roleplay a spaceship pilot.

I don't have anything insightful to add and I just wanna say I relate to this problem as well. I think as Onmyoji Onmyoji puts it, it just comes down to consuming more relevant media or fiction in the genre we want to explore. I think a positive way to look at it is that it will be quite a fun little research and learning process.

But I guess even without a super concrete feeling of everything we do can be a little creative and just 'improvise' while take care to not harm the immersion too much...
Since it is fiction after all like Onmyoji mentioned.

I totally understand that it really sucks without the familiarity or the confidence to describe something that you wish to bring to life in story or rp... But I do believe in the simple remedy of consuming more relevant media.

Good luck, and hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Theres one thing I want to say about the "I dont have enough info about a certain topic to roleplay it.."
Well, sometimes you really cant get around that. But I will say, I often feel this way. The easiest thing to do, is just be generic and vague about it. Like you just said it. "I dont know how to describe flying a spaceship." Well, you'll eventually get to the point where youre better at describing that. But you can always be vague about it, and just write that.

"John was an experienced pilot. He was an ace pilot. He flew the spaceship so well, he was able to weave in and out of the asteroids, impressing those around him."

see? its pretty vague. it just says "john flew the spaceship". no explanation really, imagination is a wonderful thing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back