Other How often do you create new characters?

I rarely reuse characters, as most of them are for a fairly specific kind of setting. Like, I'd only use Vitali Zima in a fantasy setting where he can show just how much of a manipulative, bureaucratic bastard he really is. It just wouldn't make much sense to have the magical fantasy lawyer that Vitali is go on a whirlwind adventure that's fun for the whole family, just as it wouldn't make sense to have the legendarily evil cursed knight Caspian Lorch join the Surveycon Legiment to help all the little orphans.

But when I do find a setting where they can work, I do tend to reuse a variation of them, changing details here and there so that they'll fit in the new RP that much better.

I reuse and change characters often. I create side characters as needed all the time. Eventually, the side character turn into mains.

I'm pretty much a character factory. Before I ever roleplayed, I made over 100 OCs for a fanfiction series I wrote. And even though I tend to do several roleplays at once, I always create several new characters for each roleplay. I'll admit I sometimes reuse certain character types, but for the most part, I have no problem constantly creating more and more characters.

I create new characters for every roleplay unless it's like a second chapter to a previous RP. Most characters backstory are created based on the lore the author had made. Out of respect, I try to utilize as much of what they gave me as I can, but that also means my characters won't be able to transfer to many places without changing their backstory. (Which is something I refuse to do) I'm a severely right-brained person, and every character I create turns into like an imaginary friend. They have an entire personality based on their backstory just like we do, and I feel like I'd be erasing a vital part of what makes them who they are.

Character creation 'then' was much different to character creation 'now'.

Back then, I churned quite a few out on each new RP I joined. But I had trouble keeping track of them all, I had to ultimately note them down someplace.

As of today, I create characters and re-use them, maybe introduce new ones every so often. I will usually end up with a pretty small character cast as a result, but since there are less of them, I am able to develop them further with my eyes on so few characters at once.

tbh i think placing pre-made characters into a new roleplay can really make for interesting dynamics!! i have 0 problem making new ones for rps but sometimes a plot idea comes up where i'm like 'omg x would be so good for this'

also, a couple of my 'pre-made' ocs are ones that i created brand new for roleplays that died out, but i liked my characters too much to leave them for dead :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back