Viewpoint How much detail/thought do you prefer to see for RP ideas within interest checks?

jaydude

Five Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Like, do you prefer to try and develop an idea enough that you're confident you can get some good RP mileage out of it? Are you happy with just posting a pairing and/or sentence long story hook that you plan to discuss with your potential partner(s)? Or something else?

On the flipside, what level of detail do you prefer to see in interest checks before you consider hitting up the OP?

Considering most RP's die pretty quickly I tend to not enjoy investing large amounts of time into world-building for them. For that reason I like to keep things simpler. If I'm using a fictional world then I tend to either use a pre-existing one from a fandom or one loosely based on our real world. The complex world-building I save for my personal writing projects.

Like, do you prefer to try and develop an idea enough that you're confident you can get some good RP mileage out of it? Are you happy with just posting a pairing and/or sentence long story hook that you plan to discuss with your potential partner(s)? Or something else?

On the flipside, what level of detail do you prefer to see in interest checks before you consider hitting up the OP?

Well, as Jannah and a few others that might remember my last few RTs, I pour a ton of work and detail into my request threads. I worked for two weeks to put together my current request. Yes, it's a lot of work. Yes, it often goes unrequited. The previous three or four RTs that I put out within the last year also had a lot of effort put into them, and they didn't wind up starting up.

Imo, I think a GM needs to put out a full idea to their potential players. Give them the full spectrum of what they are offering instead of a half-hearted and vague idea and expect everyone to fill in the spaces. Yes, this is a hobby. But I feel that the role of a GM is a heavy one, and shouldn't just be shouldered by anyone that is going to half-ass their responsibilities in crafting and leading a group though a world/story. Going into that role half-cocked usually just amounts to the GM wasting everyone's time.

When approaching a GM on their idea, I look for a fair amount of detail. No, I don't expect them to lay it out in the same manner as I do my own RTs. But I do look to see if they have a solid plan with their notion, and have enough detail put into the request that I don't have to be asking question after question about the lore and setting because they didn't have much written in the first place. If the RT is literally a paragraph about the general concept of what they are trying to get started, it is clear to me that they haven't sat on it and thought it out very hard. I'm gonna need a little more commitment from a GM than that.

Edit: I should mention that I only really do Group RPs. So the above statement is in reference to that kind of roleplay dynamic.

Last edited:
Well, as Jannah and a few others that might remember my last few RTs, I pour a ton of work and detail into my request threads. I worked for two weeks to put together my current request. Yes, it's a lot of work. Yes, it often goes unrequited. The previous three or four RTs that I put out within the last year also had a lot of effort put into them, and they didn't wind up starting up.

Imo, I think a GM needs to put out a full idea to their potential players. Give them the full spectrum of what they are offering instead of a half-hearted and vague idea and expect everyone to fill in the spaces. Yes, this is a hobby. But I feel that the role of a GM is a heavy one, and shouldn't just be shouldered by anyone that is going to half-ass their responsibilities in crafting and leading a group though a world/story. Going into that role half-cocked usually just amounts to the GM wasting everyone's time.

When approaching a GM on their idea, I look for a fair amount of detail. No, I don't expect them to lay it out in the same manner as I do my own RTs. But I do look to see if they have a solid plan with their notion, and have enough detail put into the request that I don't have to be asking question after question about the lore and setting because they didn't have much written in the first place. If the RT is literally a paragraph about the general concept of what they are trying to get started, it is clear to me that they haven't sat on it and thought it out very hard. I'm gonna need a little more commitment from a GM than that.
It definitely is a lot, far more than I usually have the energy or time for. It's one reason why I usually stick to 1x1's. GMing is definitely not for everyone and that is fair.

It definitely is a lot, far more than I usually have the energy or time for. It's one reason why I usually stick to 1x1's. GMing is definitely not for everyone and that is fair.
I usually don't have the energy for it, myself. When my muse hits and I feel it has hit hard and long enough that I can work on an RT, work on a character, work on a worldbuild (possibly a whole goddamn map with defined points of interest), pitch the whole mess, and then continue the story after people have joined in... That's when I start on my RTs. I have to make sure I have the inspiration necessary to follow it through. Which, honestly, it's a little crushing when I go through all that just to have the whole thing fall through.

However, this is just the way I do stuff. I'm sure my approach is absolutely repellant to a whole demographic of RPers who do not want to look at that much detail and want a simpler, lighter RT to join in on. I mean, the proof is in the pudding in that I've been on a trend of failed start-ups. So... I guess that speaks for itself? But I can't bring myself to just throw out a basic premise and expect everyone to just jump into it. For me, its a lot of effort to GM a setting, regardless of the actual creating of said setting. So if I'm going have to be a GM, I'm going to make it worth MY time as much as it will be worth the time for those that choose to involve themselves as players.

I feel like fandom settings definitely lighten the load on the creative process for a GM. That way, all the layout is familiar and defined for everyone. Or even historical RPs. All it takes is a wiki or other such search to get a grip on the setting at large. There is a lot less explaining or holes to fill in, and the GM need only focus on the details of the story therein.

I usually don't have the energy for it, myself. When my muse hits and I feel it has hit hard and long enough that I can work on an RT, work on a character, work on a worldbuild (possibly a whole goddamn map with defined points of interest), pitch the whole mess, and then continue the story after people have joined in... That's when I start on my RTs. I have to make sure I have the inspiration necessary to follow it through. Which, honestly, it's a little crushing when I go through all that just to have the whole thing fall through.

However, this is just the way I do stuff. I'm sure my approach is absolutely repellant to a whole demographic of RPers who do not want to look at that much detail and want a simpler, lighter RT to join in on. I mean, the proof is in the pudding in that I've been on a trend of failed start-ups. So... I guess that speaks for itself? But I can't bring myself to just throw out a basic premise and expect everyone to just jump into it. For me, its a lot of effort to GM a setting, regardless of the actual creating of said setting. So if I'm going have to be a GM, I'm going to make it worth MY time as much as it will be worth the time for those that choose to involve themselves as players.

I feel like fandom settings definitely lighten the load on the creative process for a GM. That way, all the layout is familiar and defined for everyone. Or even historical RPs. All it takes is a wiki or other such search to get a grip on the setting at large. There is a lot less explaining or holes to fill in, and the GM need only focus on the details of the story therein.
That's perfectly valid. Some people like to go all out. Personally I don't as I feel it's just a waste of time if the RP doesn't take off. Doesn't help that I often have a short attention span either due to ADHD.

Real world or historical settings tend to be my go-to as they're just easier, unless it's a historical setting that nobody on this site seems to know anything about. That makes it tough for the current idea I have floating around in my head for a historical fantasy story involving magic and monsters. I have even tried to pitch the idea as a 1x1 to various people and zero luck because everyone is like "I know nothing about the Ottoman Empire". *sigh*

Fandoms for me are often a last resort since most people on this site want to play canons while in fandom settings I go the OC only route.

That's perfectly valid. Some people like to go all out. Personally I don't as I feel it's just a waste of time if the RP doesn't take off.
Honestly, it kind of feels that way a lot of the time. In the end, all that work I put into my reqs just goes to my Docs archives when I dont get enough interest to get started.

Real world or historical settings tend to be my go-to as they're just easier, unless it's a historical setting that nobody on this site seems to know anything about. That makes it tough for the current idea I have floating around in my head for a historical fantasy story involving magic and monsters. I have even tried to pitch the idea as a 1x1 to various people and zero luck because everyone is like "I know nothing about the Ottoman Empire". *sigh*

Turkish fantasy is definitely niche. Can't say I've ever really seen it done. The most common fantasy settings are either modern, European, Greek, Japanese elements (usually anime-inspired) and occasionally you see some attempts at Nordic themes. I'd like to say the Vampire and Werewolf thing is a prevalent Carpathian theme. But that would be doing a disservice to the Carpathian mythos. Especially since people tend to always try and make it Victorian (or modern) lmao

Fandoms for me are often a last resort since most people on this site want to play canons while in fandom settings I go the OC only route.
same. But I think in groups people go for OCs more than in 1x1s in a fandom setting. I've only ever seen a handful of fandom groups where a list of canon characters were the roles required.

Turkish fantasy is definitely niche. Can't say I've ever really seen it done. The most common fantasy settings are either modern, European, Greek, Japanese elements (usually anime-inspired) and occasionally you see some attempts at Nordic themes. I'd like to say the Vampire and Werewolf thing is a prevalent Carpathian theme. But that would be doing a disservice to the Carpathian mythos. Especially since people tend to always try and make it Victorian (or modern) lmao
Yea, it being niche is the problem. It has so much potential, though. There's totally a place for vampires and werewolves in the setting too due to being part of the Carpathian mythos, and still people just aren't interested. I'm just so tired of the typical themes and settings that people use for these types of fantasy settings so wanted to try something new and original. Ottoman Empire was vast enough that a lot of different mythology could easily be incorporated into the setting. My character, a Balkan Slav, has a Persian sidekick. Two different cultures just right there.

So, not gonna lie, I've had quite a few ideas brewing. But I also struggle with world building sometimes. Too much detail tends to drive most people away (I personally struggle with this too; if there's a whole book for me to read I just can't muster the energy. No offense... And I'm not very vested in plots where I have to keep a ton of things in mind when making the character/making posts. I know not everyone is like this tho).

I would say information overload isn't a good idea right at the get go. However, if you can hook people with an interesting, easy to digest taste of the world... Thats when I'd say you can go ahead and info dump. Ngl, sometimes half of starting a roleplay is 'marketing' it properly. Or using someone else's world that people are familiar with. You really gotta sell an idea for people to bite.

But there's also so many different kinds of roleplayers out there, so it could also depend on your target audience. Anyway I'm totally rambling lol.

Tldr, I would try to hook people before info dumping. And answering their questions seems to help with interest too! But nothing is guaranteed, so temper your expectations if you can.

For interest checks specifically I am fine with a pairing or a brief prompt (Ex. I want werewolf x vampire OR magical boarding school mystery)

Now within the roleplay itself I will do a lot more world building because I love to flesh things out.

But I don’t think you need to put a detailed post in the interest check. If anything it usually turns me off the idea is too plotted out because I feel like the poster has a very specific dynamic in mind that I might not be able to meet.

Answering first what I prefer to see in the interest checks of others in no particular order.

1.) Pairings that might be similar to what I'm interested in.

2.) Plots/Ideas that have a good start that leave room for me to add in my own ideas.

3.) The tone of the request thread itself is important to me. There's no mistaking if someone appears a headache to write with, with application like rules or genuinely being picky.

Overall, a request thread with a paragraph is not going to do it for me.

I personally would rather have both pairings and plot ideas developed a bit. The latter of which doesn't tell everything giving potential partners the chance to put in their own ideas/characters they want to play. That's pretty much how I've always did it.

If I have thought of a solid beginning, middle, and end to the RP story concept, I'll make an Interest Check.

All the little details can either be completed while I'm waiting for people to express interest, or after I've gathered enough interest to warrant the creation of the RP itself and I'll let peeps know that I'm working on details so they know that it might be a day, or a couple days, before the RP threads are actually created.

When it comes to the Interest Check itself, I used to create massively detailed ones. But these days if I decide to start an RP I'll make it fairly short and detail just the main draws and provide a CS. If I'm looking to join an RP I'll usually look for ones which are similar and focus more on the main draws and aren't a novella of information I don't need to know.

It's different for me depending on whether it's 1x1 or Group.

When it comes to group interest checks, I like structure and direction. While the plot doesn't have to be fleshed out from beginning to end, there needs to be a sense that the GM knows where they're going with their idea. Otherwise, it feels (to me) like the roleplay won't get anywhere.

For 1x1s, I'm much more relaxed because many things are more easily discussed one on one. Usually pairings and general information about the OP are enough, though I appreciate when they have plots in mind.

Honestly most threads die so quickly (that's just the nature of the beast) that I prefer getting something started quickly and then, if it seems like it's going to get off the ground, then discuss with my partner what plot points we might want to hit. Of course, I'm more of a slice-of-life sort of writer whose idea of fun is writing about the drama occurring during a high school party, so this might not work for people that are looking for more action/adventure type stories. xD

But in an interest check I think a list of tropes works better than full fledged plots, honestly. It gets the ball rolling without being too detailed, and helps me know if we have similar tastes.

A list of pairings doesn't do much for me, in part because, honestly, I'm skeptical how much a person is going to contribute to creating a premise around a pairing when that's all they have to offer in a request thread. Even if it's incredibly barebones and cliched, a plot pitch can at least suggest thoughtfulness and provide a better indication of where the requester's head is at.

In terms of group interest checks, I prefer to see that the would-be GM has a firm idea of the premise. If it seems half-baked or wishy-washy, it's a good sign that the game is gonna fall apart. If it's a fantasy/sci-fi game, I would prefer that extensive lore is relegated to a separate thread, so that I can focus on only the crucial information while deciding whether I might like to play.

For both groups and 1x1s, I want to see preferences/expectations, especially for groups. Even if I might like a pitch, I'll nope out if there are no guidelines, because different people are likely to join with their own ideas on post rates and lengths, and then the game falls apart because half the group is misaligned on the basic chemistry.

1x1s are boring. 3-4 is perfect. 5-6 is doable. the beauty of pbp is that a gm can support more players as opposed to live play

1x1s are boring. 3-4 is perfect. 5-6 is doable. the beauty of pbp is that a gm can support more players as opposed to live play
I guess it depends on personal experience since all my most memorable RP experiences have all been in 1x1's except for like one or two.

not sure what u mean by pairings. i give plan quite a bit, mostly lore, since im crap at improvising. then give players just enough info to draw them in. mostly as teasers and foundation info. they wshould expect plenty of plot twists from me as well. i'm trying to make my games more character driiven since i had a wonderful experience with that in a game via twitch. it didnt last past the getting to know eachother phase, but it lasted 7 sessions not counting sessions 0 and 0.5.

This is mostly relevant to group rps, as I rarely do one-on-ones.

As a host, I try to put basic information, but not so much that it would seem to not be open to improvisation and collaborative worldbuilding. This is partly because I like my roleplays to be open to my ideas as a player, but also because as a host I like to see what others can bring to the table.
Also, I tend to lose focus when interest checks are too "padded" for lack of a better word. I think the flourishes and details are best left to the lore page, where I can certainly go once I've gotten a basic frame of what the rp is about. Plus, asking questions is where I'm most comfortable finding out certain things, because I tend to get information that is closer to what I need to know as opposed to more general information. For instance, I might ask if there's a minimum paragraph count, and it will be easier to know that there is or isn't one and what it might be than just reading that the advertiser wants "semi lit" players.

Detailed enough interest to give the setting some personalities but not too detailed that keeping up with it become a hassle.

I do only 1x1.
If the whole thing is already fleshed out, I get the sense that I won't have much of a say in the matter. I don't want to be an assistant for working on someone else's ideas.
If someone has 0 ideas that's a bad sign, too.
I like people who have a general idea of what/who they want to play, and are open to plotting out the rest together. And I want to know they will play by the same rules I do. I am willing to adapt if I know they will play by the same rules. Even if it's not something I wanted originally, I can get into playing a certain character or idea if the chemistry between me and my rp partner is good.

GM/DMs reserve the right to alter a system or campaign setting to better serve gameplay as well as their players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back