Other How does a broke person get a commission?

EldridSmith

The answer is Fireball
Roleplay Type(s)
Heyo thanks for stopping by! I was wondering how to get one of my OC's drawn without paying for it since as the title says I'm completely and utterly broke. I've looked for pictures of a tiefling alchemist everywhere and I haven't found any good ones... so if someone's willing to give me a hand and tell me either where to look or who to ask that would be greatly appreciated!

Heyo thanks for stopping by! I was wondering how to get one of my OC's drawn without paying for it since as the title says I'm completely and utterly broke. I've looked for pictures of a tiefling alchemist everywhere and I haven't found any good ones... so if someone's willing to give me a hand and tell me either where to look or who to ask that would be greatly appreciated!

To be honest: you don't. You're not really going to find someone to do work for free.

However.

If you can make up a simple reference sheet of what you want your character to look like, I suggest checking out 4chan's /tg/ and look for a draw thread. You don't have to pay anything, but it is 100% up to the anon artists if they want to take up your request therefore it may take days to weeks to even months to get a filled request. That being said, it's the closest you'll get to "free art". Just don't abuse it and post multiple characters/requests and ask for art since while it is a complimentary service, as I said, nothing is "owed" to you even if you put up a request there.

To be honest: you don't. You're not really going to find someone to do work for free.

However.

If you can make up a simple reference sheet of what you want your character to look like, I suggest checking out 4chan's /tg/ and look for a draw thread. You don't have to pay anything, but it is 100% up to the anon artists if they want to take up your request therefore it may take days to weeks to even months to get a filled request. That being said, it's the closest you'll get to "free art". Just don't abuse it and post multiple characters/requests and ask for art since while it is a complimentary service, as I said, nothing is "owed" to you even if you put up a request there.
Thanks! I just wanted a picture for my Tiefling alchemist!

Artwork takes a great deal of time and effort. No different from any other service work provided like a mechanic working on your car or a nail technician giving you a manicure. It's definitely bad etiquette to ask for it to be done for free (just as it would be unacceptable to ask a stranger to work on your car for free). Just letting you know for the future! Doesn't matter whether you have one character or 100 you want drawn... art is a job too, and wanting someone to make you something for free gets you into the artist bad books verrrry quickly.

Apart from 4chan (which I have no experience with) artists on DeviantArt occasionally do requests. Essentially, if they have a request journal open, you give your character details and they pick some of the people who have requested art to draw for. Sometimes it's first come, first served, sometimes there are other methods. If you go onto DA and type "requests open" in the search bar and select 'journals' from the left menu, you can then browse through and see if any are available. Beyond that, my recommendation would be to save up! A lot of artists are really affordable considering the time that goes into the artwork and you're going to get much better (and quicker) art done if you're willing to pay for the labour :)

Artwork takes a great deal of time and effort. No different from any other service work provided like a mechanic working on your car or a nail technician giving you a manicure. It's definitely bad etiquette to ask for it to be done for free (just as it would be unacceptable to ask a stranger to work on your car for free). Just letting you know for the future! Doesn't matter whether you have one character or 100 you want drawn... art is a job too, and wanting someone to make you something for free gets you into the artist bad books verrrry quickly.

Apart from 4chan (which I have no experience with) artists on DeviantArt occasionally do requests. Essentially, if they have a request journal open, you give your character details and they pick some of the people who have requested art to draw for. Sometimes it's first come, first served, sometimes there are other methods. If you go onto DA and type "requests open" in the search bar and select 'journals' from the left menu, you can then browse through and see if any are available. Beyond that, my recommendation would be to save up! A lot of artists are really affordable considering the time that goes into the artwork and you're going to get much better (and quicker) art done if you're willing to pay for the labour :)
Thanks! Also I didn't realize it was rude 😓

No worries! A lot of people don't think about it and don't mean it maliciously. It's a bit of a sensitive issue mostly because there are people out there who will hound artists for free work and then get angry/entitled when the artist says no. I definitely don't think that was your intention at all but I'd hate for you to get yelled at because someone interpreted it that way so I thought I should warn you :)

No worries! A lot of people don't think about it and don't mean it maliciously. It's a bit of a sensitive issue mostly because there are people out there who will hound artists for free work and then get angry/entitled when the artist says no. I definitely don't think that was your intention at all but I'd hate for you to get yelled at because someone interpreted it that way so I thought I should warn you :)
Thanks for the warning! I'll keep it in mind.

The best way to get free art is to learn to draw and then make it yourself.

And the non-facetious answer: You could try a skills swap with someone. Maybe you're great at coding or photography or something and you can trade your own work for some art.

The best way to get free art is to learn to draw and then make it yourself.

And the non-facetious answer: You could try a skills swap with someone. Maybe you're great at coding or photography or something and you can trade your own work for some art.

This is some of the best advice anyone could give, and I will give it also.

Art is not an easy vocation, but it is among one of the most fun and rewarding hobbies out there. If you want something done, do it yourself.

It may not be great, and you may not be great at it for awhile, but there's nothing better than looking at that piece of artwork and knowing it's something all your own.

If you get really desperate, there's always dress up games. That's how I make my characters since I can't draw very well.

Yeah no, like everyone else said. Short of learning how to draw, if you want an actual commission of your character you're gonna have to actually pay for it :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back