Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 7+10=17-2=15

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Recently I've noticed there is a lot of methods for doing simple mental math problems, such as 8+7. I automatically go to 8+8=16 and then subtract 1 to get 15, but some people just know it, and others use 7+7. So I got curious, and now I want to see what percentages of people do what and what other things people do for it, if that makes sense. I'll be getting up a poll in a second.

Edit: I meant count on fingers, but I assume y'all get the picture

Last edited:
Yeet.

I can do it beyond one way, but I prefer doing it in a rube Goldberg way. There's some dudes that demand to get the answer and how you get there, so usually as a troll, we do it like that to annoy them. It could also be done in reverse, but that takes a few more seconds. As long as the end result is achieved, then dab.

Though in general unless it's necessary, it'd probably be done as me talking in my own head. I won't waste time doing someone else's problem, as usually it's some crappy ego competition, but sometimes this could be brought up to Leach the answer off you. These types of flexes I view as pathetic, as one shouldn't need to validate what they think off somebody else. Everybody goes at their own pace or preference for any reason, such as slowing down to ensure a non-botched answer. Though some view that as the person being "special" in that way.

Kazami42 Kazami42

I mean, I "talk" in my head too when I do mental math. I just "talk" by going through the 8+8 solution method in my head. It's really hard for me to do it any other way (except for counting on my fingers).

I'm not trying to start some weird competition thing, if that's what you're implying (cause, no offense, kinda getting the feeling that's what you're trying to say with that reply). I'm genuinely curious cause I find this kind of thing interesting.

If that isn't what you were implying, then I'm really really sorry I misunderstood your reply.

Kazami42 Kazami42

I mean, I "talk" in my head too when I do mental math. I just "talk" by going through the 8+8 solution method in my head. It's really hard for me to do it any other way (except for counting on my fingers).

I'm not trying to start some weird competition thing, if that's what you're implying (cause, no offense, kinda getting the feeling that's what you're trying to say with that reply). I'm genuinely curious cause I find this kind of thing interesting.

If that isn't what you were implying, then I'm really really sorry I misunderstood your reply.
No, my post was just saying my process, and then went on about the types of people that like to use it for other questionable purposes. And as such depicted it relatively. Your post is a legitimate post not trying to start anything. That's just sort of a thing I do. Though being a direct person, then for example imagine someone going up to someone and doing the same thing, then the answerer becomes a jerk about it. I wouldn't have a hesitation to call that guy out on it, and reformating a post to reflect it.

Though I must be honest due to how it was constructed, I'm not sure as to how you could see it being aimed at you. but I apologize for the mishap.

No, my post was just saying my process, and then went on about the types of people that like to use it for other questionable purposes. And as such depicted it relatively. Your post is a legitimate post not trying to start anything. That's just sort of a thing I do. Though being a direct person, then for example imagine someone going up to someone and doing the same thing, then the answerer becomes a jerk about it. I wouldn't have a hesitation to call that guy out on it, and reformating a post to reflect it.

Though I must be honest due to how it was constructed, I'm not sure as to how you could see it being aimed at you. but I apologize for the mishap.
Oh, sorry for the mishap! Thanks for the explanation, though!

Totally agree with you, some people can be real jerks about it. I mentioned it to a friend once and they kept going on about how it was overcomplicated for no reason.

I dunno what makes some people so worked up over the different methods. I kinda just find it cool that there's so many different ways people do something that we don't really think about much. I assumed everyone did it the 8+8 way until I saw some random thing (I forgot where) talking about it.

Oh, sorry for the mishap! Thanks for the explanation, though!

Totally agree with you, some people can be real jerks about it. I mentioned it to a friend once and they kept going on about how it was overcomplicated for no reason.

I dunno what makes some people so worked up over the different methods. I kinda just find it cool that there's so many different ways people do something that we don't really think about much. I assumed everyone did it the 8+8 way until I saw some random thing (I forgot where) talking about it.
Pretty much.

Personally, I view those going slower or taking in a variety of odds to deconstruct into the answer as a little higher up. From my experience in a practical environment, such as say logistics jobs like stocking or stock management, they'll get the job done and have a farther effect. While those doing it the "overly complex" way tend to take everything into account. Whereas the faster goer tends to act more like a programmed drone. It just doesn't feel legitimate, and appears as if it was achieved by repeatedly forcing it than doing it casually. Though there are some that gets the same result as those doing it slowly or in complicated fashion.

I probably won't ever get why a "fight" has to be waged over which method is better. I believe more in whomever gets the job done is better. If that ends up being all of them, or the unlikely, then good enough. Though again, I'm more biased towards methods committed to that which will guarantee the end result with having a repeat. It saves time, but it isn't as funny if they still end up messing it all up. I've seen two guys that did a faster method, and one repeated their cycle because they thought they over counted despite getting it right, and the other one recycled because they lost count. So technically in ironic fashion, those doing it slower actually did it faster in the overall picture. Though if you know certain bits of history and someone fights you about it, you could try bringing up some wartime guys which basically did this. Some faster than others, but not necessarily better.

I’ll take 2 off 7 making it 8+2=10+5=15. But if it was written as 7+8 I’d take 3 off the 8 for 7+3=10+5=15. I always get to number divisible by 10 first and then I work from there, and I’ll do that for pretty much all mental addition.

I thought I understood simple arithmetic until I read this topic.

I’ll take 2 off 7 making it 8+2=10+5=15. But if it was written as 7+8 I’d take 3 off the 8 for 7+3=10+5=15. I always get to number divisible by 10 first and then I work from there, and I’ll do that for pretty much all mental addition.

I guess, now that I think about it, I do the same: merge things into groups of 10. So take 2 off the 7 so that I can add it to the 8, making 10, leaving 15.

But let's pretend that I just remember it. And that I only use the "making groups of ten" technique when dealing with big numbers. Yes. That makes me sound more competent.

Last edited:
For the problem of 8+7 or 7+8 I have that value remembered as 15 same with 6+7 and other single digit + single digit.

However, once you start putting more numbers into the equation is when I start doing math like "taking the 2 off the seven and add it to the eight....". With more numbers there's more to remember and I try to find the easiest ways to figure them out. Usually working left to right, for some odd reason.

I count the numbers like there are little circles around
Untitled279_20230210113240.png
Like this, I would could eight, and then count seven. My grandma showed me this way when I was younger

8+7 is one I just know. For certain bigger more complex numbers I do break them down, but 8+7 is something I kinda have to know by heart.

I think it’s one of those things I just know. It’s basic math I learned in first grade. I do count on my fingers sometimes because I’m not very confident in my math abilities.

I do 8+2=10 10+5=15
OR 20-5=15

I’m very aware I break things up into tens (or subtract the difference between ten from the combined ten value) because I used to do archery and I’d have three or six numbers to add up at the end of each round on a score card

For example: 10+9+8+8+7+6
10 is fine, then I break the lowest number up to fill in the almost Ten numbers, 9+1, 8+2, 7+3, and now I’m left with just 10+10+10+10+8=48

For example: 9+9+8
Well I’m a total of 4 points off from a perfect score, so the total is 30-4=26

Then we have the total tournament score, which is all the round total scores added together. And I ended up with a lot of: 28’s 26’s 23’s (With this I would be putting marks next to numbers as I went to show that I used them)
So say I had this:
As my totals

What I would do is take the numbers in the ones column and match them up into tens

So I’ve got 9 3 7 9 8 5 8 8 2 6
Which I’ll group into, 8+8+8+6=30 9+9+2=20 3+7=10 and then I’m left with 30+20+10+5=65

Then I’ll count up the tens place and add that to 6 so, 2+2+2+1+2+2+2+2+2+2+6=25
So I got a 255 out of 300 that’s a really good score if it’s at 18m and earned me at least my blue pin, maybe my red, I’d need to check if the requirement was 260 or 255 or 250 for that color.

The more numbers I add, that are higher than 2 or 3, I use a fill to ten method.

Mind you in a tournament you can use a calculator, but I would keep a score in my head to see how I was doing. WHICH IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IN ARCHERY. XD it’s a very mentally affected sport. “But you use your body? I don’t get why that matters?” Your aim, your form, your everything is done by your brain and muscle memory. So if you see yourself doing bad, you start to think “oh, well why bother, the set is already ruined” and you start doing even worse. So we’re supposed to ignore our previous shots and focus on one at a time.

Anyway, apologies for the archery tangent. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back