System/Mechanics How do you approach the vehicles of characters?

BakaTheIdiot

Viscount of Spaghetti Code
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I didn't really know how to prefix this. Hope it's good enough!

Now this doesn't happen often, in my experience, especially around more Fantasy-esque roleplays. Even so, every now and again I come across the option for vehicles in a roleplay, and recently I got thinking: what is the best way to design a vehicle in a way that's fair to the rest of the party, and doesn't conflict with your own artistic liberties?

Now I know there's not really a right or wrong way to approach this, so I'll share how I make vehicles for the actual story, and then open this up for anybody itching to add their own take or experiences.

How I typically go about things is a point buy. I get 12 points, and 4 stats to assign (ranging 0 to 5). The stats are:
  • Versatility: Can it be a jack of all trades, or is it cripplingly restrictive?
  • Toughness: Can it take a beating? Can it dish one right back out?
  • Maneuverability: Is it fast? Can it make hairpin turns?
  • Reliability: Can you count on it in times of crisis, or is it always having issues?
The reason I opt for this is that it's enough to give you some idea of what your vessel is capable of, but isn't so restrictive that it only applies to spaceships or whatever. This can kind of apply to anything! Like, if I had to give the car I drive IRL a rating on this, it would probably look like:
  • V: [][][][]
  • T: [][][][][]
  • M: [][]
  • R: []
It's got a nice trunkspace for hauling groceries and I'm sure I'd survive a wreck, but it can't turn, and it's constantly breaking down.

In a Roleplay I did a while ago, I flew what was essentially a Viper Mk II from Battlestar Galactica, and the VTMR looked like:
  • V: []
  • T: [][]
  • M: [][][][][]
  • R: [][][][]
But I want to see how you feel. Tell me your thoughts!

I think what is important to keep in mind is that form will follow function. The functionality of a vehicle, or of any device, is to help tell your story. In a world where petroleum is scarce and your party needs to navigate a great distance, fuel efficiency will be paramount. In this case, you will want to add in a factor for fuel efficiency. In a world where there is plenty of fuel but you need to lay low, you do not want a pink car. These are obviously a little picky and niche, but I believe the idea follows.

A generally good system to rate vehicles is to go with real metrics. If you are evaluating a car, you will want to know the fuel efficiency, horsepower, top speed, and acceleration. You can create those categories accordingly.

For example, a sedan might have great fuel efficiency, mediocre horsepower, a moderate top speed, and a moderate acceleration.
F: [][][][]
H: [][]
S: [][][]
A: [][][]

However, a truck might have terrible fuel efficiency, oustanding horsepower, a moderate top speed, and a moderate acceleration.
F: [][]
H: [][][][][]
S: [][][]
A: [][][]

In sum, I would say the best way to approach the design of a "fair" vehicle is to consider the purpose. With automobiles, you can use the metrics I mentioned previously. For horses, you can evaluate stamina, age, speed, and resilience. For an airplane you can evaluate top speed, fuel efficiency, acceleration, and air resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back