Advice/Help How do I improve my writing?

Personally I always try to visualise things. A lot of people roleplay only what they do and say, but there happens so much more around us.

One thing that taught me detail a lot is playing a blind characters. Just because they can't see doesn't mean all actions fall away. She can still hear, smell, feel. All that. So a few tips from me what to add to make it more detailed:

1. Sounds. What does someone hear? Is there any ambient? It's never truely silent, anywhere. Fabric shifts over each other and steps make sound. Wind howls and the leaves of the trees brush against each other. People breath and sigh, but also when they speak. What can you hear in their voice. There is a 100 ways you can say hi, try it!
  2. Smell. Yes smell is important. A smell of freashly bakes pie can bring someone back in time, where as the smell of gas can alarm you about danger. This does things to you or another.
  3. Touch. How do things feel. When sand slips between your fingers it's crude, where as water you barely feel slipping away. And what does it leave behind?
  4. Reaction. If you have wet hands you won't forget about them, you may dry them somewhere or shake them off. And what does that do? Wiping off may leave a wet spot where as shaking off leaves hands damp and splatters fall on something else.
  5. What do you notice? Try this, do something very simple and every-day. Try drawing for example. You don't just 'draw'. You pick up a pen, and paper, and all other material. You got it from somewhere. How did you get it? Then when you draw it makes sound, it leaven something behind, etc.
  6. Practice makes perfect.
Just give things a try and try read a lot. How do writers fill a book? Give things a try and think too much!

The best of luck to you!

Ryuume makes a number of very valid points. Your character has thoughts, feelings, perceptions...there is an entire world out there, existing completely independently of your character. How does that world create stimuli for her? How does it make him feel? Or think? Is there something making an odd noise behind that discarded crate? Is it a cat, or an enraged street thug trying to achieve cover while taking aim at the back of your head?

For that matter, does the alley smell of garbage? If it doesn't, then what are all the dumpsters for? Do you lift up the lid and discover a dump site for burner phones? Is this where the local syndicate has been ditching their single-use communication devices? If so, don't you think they're watching that location?

This is a genre of exploration. If you aren't sure about a scene, *ask*. I always tell my players to ask me, *especially* if they're playing an unfamiliar archetype. Your GM should be willing to give you exhaustive detail of the scene, if you ask for it. Use that information to make your posts more detailled. Act with purpose, not to satisfy posting requirements. Be aware of your character's environment, and the role it plays in what happens next. Even moreso...the role *you* can play in *others'* posts when you *alter* that environment.

I know other said it, but I'll say it too: You read.

A lot

Yes, writing helps you to write better, but writing helps you figure out your writing style.

You read everything you can get your hands on. You read books in the genre in which you want to write, and you read all the classics. Newer authors in a genre have read them and base their writings on those. If you've not read Tolkien or CS Lewis, or Eddings or MacCaffrey, then there are a whole host of classic fantasy authors you're missing.

If you want to be better at dialogues then you read books by authors who just kill it, authors like Nora Roberts AKA JD Robb.

The more you read the better your grammar, the better your spelling, the better your character development even. You will quickly learn to recognize bad writing and good writing.

But don't forget to write as you read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back