Advice/Help How do I break the news to someone that I no longer wish to RP?

Brea The Brave

So I recently got a partner, they messaged me randomly which weirded me out at first but they turned out to be cool, we started an RP which was cool, we've barely gotten in and...now I don't want to RP anymore. The reason being, is they are bugging me. I initially said things were fine and they were fine.

They believed because I usually do detailed RP when it comes to 1x1 that I didn't want to RP with them because they make short responses or I didn't want to RP with them because I prefer to play female and they wanted to do a romance so I offered to play male so they could play female since that's what they prefered. No that was fine. My issue now is that if I don't reply within 2 seconds of them they constantly bug me and ask me if we're going to continue and ask if they did something wrong with their reply. I tell them no, there is nothing wrong with their reply. I even went as far as to inform them I wouldn't ghost them if that is the reason they feel the need to keep asking every 2 seconds if we're going to continue. I told them they aren't the only person I'm roleplaying with so I'm not always going to instantly reply. They keep doing it and now I'm irritated. I don't want to be mean to them, as they seem very nice but I'm no longer having fun, not because of the RP itself by because they are starting to annoy me and nothing I say seems to work to get them to stop pestering me, it feels like an obligation now and I've kind of lost the inspiration to go on. I feel like it kind of sucks because we just started and I don't know how to break it to them without sounding mean on some level.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can be honest without being mean, just tell them how you feel. Unfortunately, the one thing about it is sometimes no matter what you say some people tend to take things very personally but just keep firm. You are no longer having fun or feel the inspiration to go on. I myself don't like replying all the time or being pressured to do so because it leaves little room for me to get creative or feel excited about responding if there's no time in between.
You pretty much outlined everything you're feeling, just talk to them. They can either accept it or not.

I would be very straightforward and simply say that the constant messaging and pestering has taken away your ability to enjoy the RP.

If you haven't come right out and told them that the constant messaging is exhausting you, then you could try giving them one last chance and tell them that you're still willing to RP but only if they stop messaging you all the time.

But simply not wanting to deal with it any longer is also your prerogative, even if you haven't bluntly talked with them about it before.

"I no longer wish to Rp." Add in a sorry, if you'd like. Giving a reason or excuse will make them try to convince you to change your mind.

I told two people once I didn't think our writing styled matched well. One guy took it like a champ- the other said he didn't know what I was talking about our writing styles seem fine. Blah blah.

I've had to end RPs for this very reason. I flat out explain I'm an answer when I can RP. I have no set schedule and may leave the keyboard as soon as I hit send. I have a job and responsibly and reply when I can and then . . . .

"Hey, are you still doing this"
"Hey, are we done for the day?"
"I wish you would tell me when you are on and leave.?"
"Can I have your schedule so I'll know when you'll be on?"
"I feel like I'm the only one that thinks about this RP all day and really wants to see it move."
"Can you let me know if you'll be replying again today. If not I want to go hang out with friends."
"My friends already left without me. I really need to RP to distract myself from my depression."

Usually I try to give a warning to cut it out. Trying to word it sternly but I hope nicely that I'm not living 24/7 in my computer chair. That people that start giving me a 'be in charge of my happiness' vibe sends off paranoia jolts and it will quickly make me not even want to read posts from them. Because I won't know if it's actually decent conversation, RP reply, or toxic friend drama. And I literally RP often in between house chores only when I'm AT home. I rarely even reply to non RP messages on my smart phone.

If you think they can stop and you can once again enjoy the RP give them a warning to cease and desist immediately and cold turkey. If they won't stop, or they've already overly tainted the fun of the RP, tell them you find you are incompatible as partners. You simply can't RP if you are not having fun. As in the end RP is a game, not a job and no reason to continue unless both people are having fun. You can even explain the reason why and maybe they will calm their over neediness with their next partner.

Just remember that once you tell them you are ending it then it's not ghosting to ignore guilt trips and attention seeking.

If it was me, I'd tell them to fuck off if someone was hounding me for posts "every 2 seconds", though since that'd would be be breaking RPN rules, obviously (and that you don't want to sound mean), I'd suggest just telling them that you simply don't want to RP with them anymore. If they keep up, just block and report to them to the staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back