Other Horror as a role-play - How effective is it? How does it work?

Ataraxie

Stay Peaceful
Hi there. I’ve always wanted to know how horror works in a role-play. I think horror writers are incredibly talented to be able to instill the feeling of unease and chills using solely words. However, for me, when I read it, I find myself reacting to the twists of the plot and things being revealed throughout. So my question then, is if you plot out the events of a horror RP, how effective is it in giving that “scare” factor if you already know what happens? Is it still enjoyable to read and participate in? Also, are there some good examples of horror rps that you’ve read/participated in the past? I think I’d like to try to challenge myself in trying one in the future, but I need some advice on how to get started. Perhaps even a model to see how it can be done. Thanks!

I fucking love horror. It is extremely my jam, and a huge number of my RPs are horror. But I'm a traditional GM, so my methods will vary from most folks on the site.

So I don't get to be creeped out, but I enjoy scaring my players. I write a horror scenario, I keep things secret, and I drop clues for the characters as they engage with events.
I also use a dice system for unpredictability - even I don't know for sure how a roll will turn out, and characters have been maimed, killed, or traumatized in a way that changes the dynamic of the narrative.
When I want to get spooked, I play horror RPs run by friends of mine. The unknown being so important, it's hard to imagine being effectively engaged when you know every beat unless the prose is stellar.

I don't know if or how it works for freeform roleplayers.
If you ever feel like dropping into one of mine (they've won awards!) let me know.

That’s what I thought as well. I think that the unpredictability is such a big factor and when you have a one on one rp with a partner who’s plotted everything and then shared the details, it’s just not as enjoyable. Not to speak ill of the people who do this type of thing and enjoy it, but for me, knowing what happens spoils the enjoyment of horror.

Also, I would love to take you up on this and see how the dice rp works. I’ve only ever written with a partner and a group, but haven’t been involved with a dice rp. I’d greatly appreciate it because I’d like to learn to write in the horror genre effectively as well!

I think horror works best in Group RP's. Than the only one who has the scares "spoiled" in any way is the GM, but they're the ones creating the scares in the first place, so yea :P. A good number of my RP's are horror so I like to think I know a good number of ways to creep my players out. I'm currently running a sci-fi/horror thread based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft and while the horrific parts haven't quite happened yet in the story, I think it's a good example of buildup.

I haven’t ever run a horror themed game myself but had participated in a few with my friends, sci-fi setting specifically.

Like was already said on the thread unpredictability and uncertainty are good ways to deliver said sense of horror, dropping such events and encounters where the players feel most safe and keeping them on their toes. Though I can only speak from a player’s perspective rather than a story teller’s one.

In my experience, it's kind of hard to do horror in RPs, especially if not many of those playing are very detailed writers.

I like it as a genre but I admit, it's a bit difficult to translate the medium into a forum RP. For one, not everyone is scared of the same things. Two, it's hard to establish an atmosphere through text alone. Three, it would often require another mechanic like, exploration, mystery or sometimes action to be somewhat engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back