• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic History Repeats

Emery exited the dark room, stumbling onto a quieter street. They held onto Connor's hand until they were sure he was through, then released their grip. They pulled out a pack of cigarettes, placing one between their lips. Emery produced a lighter and flicked the wheel, taking a deep breath. They looked at their companion.

"What do you want to know?"

"What was... that?" Connor looked around suspiciously, making sure that there wasn't anyone around them. "The dark room thing, how did you do that..." He had more questions, but he felt that what had juts happened was the most important subject at the moment. Maybe she was like him, that had to be it. He had never heard of people walking through mirrors before.

"Mirror-walking is what I call it. I don't know how it works exactly, but... What you saw is the gist of it. I go through mirrors or some kind of reflective surface and that's what's behind it." Emery glanced away, peering down the street.

Fear suddenly rushed through their veins, their head whipping back around. "You can't tell anyone, okay!?"

Connor nodded. "I won't, you have my word." He put a hand in his pocket. "Do you know anyone safe? An alley isn't ideal to talk in." His apartment was always an option, and he had some... equipment stored there, but the young man felt that taking anyone to his apartment wasn't safe at the moment, especially with the chaos and riots going on within the city.

Emery shook their head. "The only place I know is private is the dark room, but it's dangerous in there. Stay in there too long, you start... deteriorating. You start dying, but not really. It's awful. You feel sick."

They hunched their shoulders, shivering slightly. "Here is as safe as anywhere else."

Shit. Looks like the apartment was where they had to go. "Alright, well... I think we should move to a safer spot. I have no idea what the riots will cause, and I have a feeling that any police that catch civilians will act aggressively. I have an apartment in the city. It's a few blocks from here." Connor looked around again, still no one around. "Follow me." The young man walked to the edge of the alley and peaked around. Nothing. He motioned for Emery to follow him before walking out of the alley and towards his home.

Emery trotted after the young man, constantly looking behind them to see if anyone was following. They puffed on the cigarette nervously. "You seem pretty casual about my... 'special' skills. Do you see many people like me often or...?"

The mirror-walker left the rest of the question hanging. They tapped the ash from the end of the cigarette, then ran a hand through their curls. He mentioned an apartment... Do I trust him? Do I leave while I can? He might try to kill me, those crazy types always look like normal people...

"A lot is happening, it's a lot to swallow. I try to stay calm in these types of situations." Connor saw his apartment in the distance. A metal door lead to a wooden staircase that circled around the building. Each entrance to a room was on the staircase. The building wasn't very well kept, but it was cheap, so it was currently his best option. "We can talk about that stuff more when we're away from the streets."

Situations plural. So he has seen people like me before, if not often or many. Emery picked their way around puddles, looking as if they were trying to avoid dirtying their shoes.

They just didn't want to be reminded that they had no reflection.

The mirror-walker sighed. "How much further? Can you at least tell me what it looks like so I can look for it?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back