• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern High School Marching Band

"Dumb ass" I said as I leaned back just enough to where Nikki would hear me, but the bear wouldn't see me. The bear droned on about how to set, and forward march and blah blah blah check-te-close. Yeah, we get it. We finally started to -"What are we doing?"- (mimicking the bear) forward march for eight beats AND close. The bear always made it sound like we were doing something interesting even though it never really was. I half assed everything we did that day because in the end, its not like the bears not going to give me a spot, we don't even have enough horns to fill up our spots. Plus, I'm a junior so who cares anymore? I obviously know what im doing.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. At least our freshmen had fun." Nikki says back to Claire. Where Drew likes to do everything perfectly and correctly, Nikki marches to the beat of her own drum, and The Bear knows that. But even she can march 8:5 and close without an attitude and she does perfectly, like her boyfriend.

However, Nikki can't do anything without being funny so she loudly reminds Claire of what they are supposed to be doing, because Claire is obviously half-assing everything.

"Come on Claire, you gotta set an example for your freshmen." Nikki jokes

"Come on Claire, you gotta set an example for your freshman." I jokingly mock back at Nikki, still making absolutely zero effort to put on a good show for the fish, everyone but them know I'm good, so I guess they will just have to wait till we REALLY start marching to see what I can actually do.

Nikki, always daring, takes a risk.

"Mr. Berlios, can we please move on? I think the freshmen have a handle on forward and backward marching 8:5." It is a risky move but Nikki is pretty gutsy. Drew grabs for her hand and she holds it.

"Oooooooooooooooh snap" i whispered to my general area. I got a few laughs out of it but nikki dodnt seem to amused

The Bear gives the marchers a withering stare from his stepladder. Everyone's nervous tics start to show as their resolve dissolves. After a long minute of anxious tension, The Bear speaks.

"You know, Nikki, I think you're right," Nikki could have died from a heart attack right about then after hearing that shocking news. "Since each section's instrument poses a different challenge to marching, we should split into different sections. Teach your marchers right/left faces, 270s, pinwheels, and different step sizes like 6:5. Make sure you enforce the distinction between chairstep and glidestep. March with your instruments, you don't have to play yet." Nikki is pleased with the end result. Her and Drew get to teach and refresh the marchers. Together. It's going to be great.

@CloudKitteh

@NessieAlways

@HeyImClaire

@goldcat16471

Annette looked at Claire nervously, "Um, okay, how should we do this?" Annette was good at marching band, however, she never taught a group the skills yet. The freshman looked at the older kids waiting for instruction, and Annette wasn't even sure where to start. "Let's... Have everybody line up side by side." She looked over at Claire and the other non-freshman teens.

((Have I mentioned how different bands have different terminology... I'm guessing faces are marching in different directions while facing forward? As far as 270 pinwheels chair step and glide steps... Never heard of it, and shouldn't we teach them the marching style such as straight leg marching or active knee marching before getting to actual marching techniques? Sorry band geek section leader kicked in =P))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

((Damn it my bad. About faces are the turn it takes to face the right or the left, if that makes sense. Bells front is marching in different directions while facing forward. Let's forget about 270s because they're hard to explain. Pinwheels is also called gating- when a line of marchers turns while staying in a straight line. Chair step is a style of marching where one lifts the leg to almost a 90 degree angle with the toe facing the ground. Glide step is roll step- rolling the feet so the torso appears to be gliding.))

((Ah we the faces...we call them slides...the Pinwheels, we call the parade turns =P ....the Chair step, well we only use that as visuals and call it high knee...the Glide step well we do that all the time so =P...but okay i'll work on a post =) ))

((lol same lol tx band 5 life but we call the pinwheels lighthouse drill and we call chair step high leg marching and its just to exaggerate straight leg technique)) I look at Annette and give her a reassuring look, I don't want to tell her too much of what to do because I know she will catch on fast on what to do

((Sorry for not posting- been at the DCI quarterfinals all day! Talk about band 5 life xD )) Nikki holds her trombone up with one hand, the other still holding Drew's. "Trombones over here, line up on the faded remains of the 50. Let's learn how to march.

Kelly had already finished her run when The Bear gives instructions. Seeing as no other clarinet decided to take charge-typical clarinet behavior- Kelly rolled her eyes and brought her hands to her mouth creating a human amplifier. "Clarinets over by the left 30!" Kelly jogged up to the 30 yard line and waited patiently for her clarinets to gather.

Nikki lets Drew start the trombones off as she wanders towards Claire, "You ready for tonight?"

"Okay, well, I need to do my actual responsibilities for a little bit. See you in a few," Nikki says as she walks back over to Drew, inspecting the trombone's marching.

"Honestly people, the freshmen are doing much better than all of you- get it together. And your commands suck, crisp, remember? This is a military band- we are supposed to be as uniform as soldiers." She grabs her trombone, heading to the 50. "Let me show you how it's done." She marches perfect 8:5, executes a nice-looking bells front right and left, turns swiftly, and her movements are as crisp as potato chips.That's what she always says, anyway.

Her marchers look with wonderment, and a few actually try harder. After a few minutes their horn angles look pristine and they have all of the skills down.

"Now, listen, guys." Drew starts. "At the end of today we're going to have to perform a "drill" that Mr. K is going to make. It will have all of the elements we learn today. We look great, but you guys aren't loud enough. This is brass- you have to scream your commands and counting." Nikki watched him give a great pep talk. The fact that he is so kind and optimistic has always intrigued Nikki, and made him extremely attractive to her. I guess she looks for the qualities she lacks- opposites attract.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back