• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Heroes of Thedas

Elysia

Elysia dismounted from her horse as she reached the gates at Haven, loosing a heavy sigh. She never imagined she would have need to return to this place but when she had received Leliana's letter, she knew she couldn't stay away. Not when Varia might be in danger. They hadn't seen one another since they were children but they had been very close, once. Time and circumstance had let the distance between them remain, but she would not abandon her cousin now when she might need her most. Elysia's word held weight in Ferelden after the Blight and if she could do or say anything to protect her, she would. Though it had been years since they'd last spoke, Sia was confident that Varia was not behind the tragedy at the conclave. Still, she worried what this mark on her hand could mean. Leliana's letter had been brief and to the point and it hadn't soothed the Warden's mind any. She lifted her gaze to the scarred sky as the wooden gates were opened for her. She had seen the rift close three days ago, no doubt most of Thedas had, but wasn't certain what had been done to close it. Varia might already be dead.

"Leliana!" Elysia grinned, rushing forward to embrace the bard once her eyes settled on her familiar face. The other woman chuckled as she was enveloped in a hug, but did not return it entirely. Conscious that her friend had a reputation to uphold, the Warden released her and took a step back though her smile didn't falter.

"It is good to see you, my friend," Leliana greeted her, motioning someone forth to take the reigns of Elysia's horse as they began to walk towards the camp. "Though I wish it were under better circumstances." Her blue eyes were as alert and observant as ever but she did not comment on the fact that she was alone. Perhaps she already knew that Elysia and Alistair had parted ways for a time. She might even be in contact with him, herself. It wouldn't surprise her. Leliana was always proficient at knowing more than she was told and finding those that did not wish to be found. 

"Varia... is she..," Elysia began, unsure she wanted to finish the question. They walked up the steps towards a second set of wooden gates which were pushed aside to allow them access to the encampment proper. Haven looked different to how she remembered. She supposed it was mostly due to the lack of cultists and that was not such a bad thing. It was saddening to learn that the Temple of Sacred Ashes had been all but destroyed, but more so that so many had been lost within it. 

"She is resting," Leliana offered and Sia let out a breath of relief to hear that she was alive, at least. "She was the one to close the breach in the sky. At least, temporarily." Their gazes turned skyward and Elysia's eyes widened in surprise. 

"This mark on her hand... It allowed her to do that?" she asked. She had never heard of anything like this before. That kind of power was remarkable. Leliana nodded, leading her towards one of the small wooden buildings off to the side. 

"You will see for yourself soon enough," the bard assured her. Elysia was eager to. She couldn't begin to imagine what it must look like or how such power seemed to come from within it. "The apothecary believes she will waken today."

"She's been unconscious all this time?" Elysia's eyebrows drew together in a concerned frown. The breach had been sealed three days ago, now. It did not bode well that they had been unable to rouse her within that time. What if she never woke from this?

"It took all of her strength to seal the rift," Leliana said gently, lifting a comforting hand to her arm as they came to a stop. "After the blast, we were not certain she would survive." It seemed saving the world ran in the family. Elysia wished there wasn't always such a high price to pay. Her thoughts drifted to the sacrifice she had asked Alistair to make to ensure their survival during the blight and guilt washed over her in waves. She pushed it aside before it could overwhelm her, forcing herself to focus on the present.

"She's no longer being held accountable for the conclave, then?" Elysia asked, staring at the snow beneath their feet. She drew her cloak tighter around her body though the weather was mild enough, today. To save all these people and still take the blame for the massacre in the Temple of Sacred Ashes... it wasn't fair and it certainly couldn't be true. 

"That matter is being discussed as we speak," Leliana advised, crossing her arms over her chest. "But the people here have seen first hand what she did for them. Many believe she was delivered by Andraste herself." 

Elysia arched an eyebrow and glanced around at the few people that stood nearby. They looked curiously at the two women, and even more curiously at the door next to them. Sia lifted a hand to it, her gloved fingers pressing against the wood.

"She's in here?" she asked, grasping the handle. Leliana nodded and began to back away. 

"I will leave you to spend some time together. Afterwards, meet me in the Chantry," she requested, offering a short smile before turning and moving up the hill with a grace that Sia had always envied, even despite her noble upbringings. She took a deep breath and quietly opened the door before slipping inside. She didn't want to disturb Varia if she was still resting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Varia was beginning to detest the color green. The of her own eyes. The color of the woods she so grew to love after leaving her father’s damp castle behind. The color of her mother’s favorite dress. The color she imagined herself wearing on her wedding day. The mark on her hand devoured those happy memories whole, just as it did demons and monsters and every other foul thing to crawl from the sky. Even in her comatose dreams the color would not leave her. Green light cast on the Divine’s face. Green flames crawling up her arm. She could not escape it. Her feverish mind begged for the white of Haven or for the black of the storm coast or the silver of the halla’s fur. The red of her first love’s lips, when he kissed her in the rain with the forest whispering all around them. He had probably forgotten her. He didn’t want some half shem who now worked for the Inquisition. He probably married Mylein with her red braids and sharp face and /her green Vallaslin/. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Varia was grateful when her eyes slid open and saw pale stone. No green while her hand hid beneath the furs piled atop her. How long had she slept? She shifted her thin body beneath the blankets. Her limbs ached but obeyed. Ten toes, ten fingers. She tried to rise, once, twice, and then managed, cradling her marked arm against her chest. The very skin of her hand seemed to revolt, burning and hissing like coals. She didn’t look at it because she didn’t yet wish to acknowledge it was still there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The blonde didn’t wish to limp but her wishes had no mattered since she’d stepped foot into the Conclave. She hobbled to the water basin and drank first before splashing the cold water into her face. She hesitated as it rolled down her throat and down her chest, wishing very much that even the blurred reflection of the water basin didn’t betray the exhaustion on her face? She wandered to the looking glass despite how very deeply she feared her own reflection. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The same full lips, same shem nose so unlike the thin blade of her mother’s, shoulder length white blonde hair, blunted point ears, and hooded green eyes. Her face was sharp for a human’s but even now at its thinnest it was full among her elf kin. Too strange for a human woman, too mundane for an elf. She smiled at herself, noting the bruise on her jaw did hurt as much as it looked it should. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]She dressed because she knew she couldn’t hide there much longer. A loose tunic with no breast binding. She rarely wore one even for battle and the idea of putting one on now was laughable. She shimmied into leggings. No shoes, no hair brush, no bother with a coat. She wanted to feel the cold. Remind herself she’d succeeded in closing the Rift and more importantly that she was alive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Something made her pause though as she moved to leave the room. Her bow, restrung and cleaned, resting against her bed. She lifted it, carefully, and felt tears prick her eyes. Someone picked it up when she collapsed. Someone had it cleaned and brought to her rather than trying to give her some Shem bow from the armory. She held it tight, and ached for home. For her mother. For the clan they called family since fleeing Ferelden. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]They called her Andraste’s but she did not believe in her or the Maker or anything else. The elven gods seemed kinder and had this not happened to her she might have come to love them. She was no herald and she didn’t want to be. She wanted to spy on these idiots and then go home. And here she was, still. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]They only tolerated her because of the Mark. She wasn’t a fool. She wasn’t a hero. She wasn’t Elysia. She was selfish, and cruel and she couldn’t keep her mouth shut. She wasn’t a leader. She was close to weeping when the door pushed open. A beautiful woman, brunette and feirce around the eyes. Memories of Elysia shoving the stable boy on his back when he called her knife ears. Of Elysia helping her free the doves meant for her father’s dinner. She threw her arms around the other woman and the weeping did start then. She buried her face in Elysia’s shoulder and the last few weeks poured out of her. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]When she could speak, she pulled away and wiped her eyes on her sleeve. “It’s so good to see you.” Her voice was hoarse from three days of sleep and now crying. “How are you here…? Never mind, I don’t care.” She laughed. “Elysia...thank you. Gods I needed this.” Visions of Elysia taking over and leading these desperate people as she apparently had during the Blight. Of Varia herself slipping away now that the Rift was closed. She took Elysia’s hands, rough with calluses like her own, no longer the small hands of little girls. “Elysia you have to help me. I can’t do this any longer. I can’t stand them looking at me with hatred one moment and worship the next. I can’t do it. You can though. You’re the Hero.” She was close to tears again. Hysterical really. [/SIZE]

Elysia

Elysia's grey blue eyes came to rest on the beautiful blonde haired woman as she entered the room, and a wave of nostalgia swept through her. It had been so long since she'd last seen Varia and she had missed her more than she realised. She wrapped her arms around her cousin as she rushed towards her and held her tightly, shutting her eyes as they embraced.

"Shh, it's alright," she soothed as she rubbed her back, a lump rising in her throat at seeing the other woman so upset. She knew how this felt; to have the whole world on your shoulders. She knew that terrible burden and she knew how overwhelming it could feel. She knew what it was like to have everyone think you were responsible for something terrible; something you didn't do. 

"It's good to see you, too," Elysia replied as they pulled back, smiling fondly at Varia. "So good. It's been far too long." She longed to ask her about the years they'd spent apart. She knew next to nothing about her now and she was eager to change that. She wanted to know everything she had been up to, how her mother was, what life had been like for her after she had left Highever. She wanted to share with her all of the stories she had collected over the years. Tell her of the family she had found when her own had been lost. There was time enough for that, however. There were more pressing things to deal with. It was good to see that she was awake and standing on her own and she didn't wish to overwhelm her while she was still recovering.

"Oh Varia," Elysia sighed, her eyebrows drawing together when the other woman took her hands and pleaded with her to take the responsibility from her. She lead her to sit on the edge of the bed with her, keeping her hands in her own. "I know it's frightening and that all you want to do is run, but you must stay and help these people," she insisted earnestly, studying the other woman's pretty green eyes. She knew this fear and the smothering expectations only too well. 

"Leliana tells me that you've stabilised the rift in the sky, and if that's true then you are needed here. Only you have that power, and there are other rifts opening up all across Ferelden and Orlais. I passed some myself as I journeyed here. You must try to close them, or we will surely perish." She lifted a hand to brush the tears from the other woman's cheek and smiled sadly at her. "I can't take over for you. That's not why I'm here, but I promise you that you are not alone in this. I will help and support you all I can. I won't abandon you," she swore, wishing it was enough to soothe her but knowing it wouldn't be. No matter how many allies she surrounded herself with, she would always be alone in her responsibility. She was the only one who had the power of the mark on her hand. 

Elysia's gaze fell to it now for the first time. She gently turned Varia's hand over in her own and gasped softly at the sight of it. "Maker's breath! Does it hurt?" she asked, her eyes flickering up to her cousin's before returning to her hand. It was as though the Fade itself was trying to escape through her skin. It glowed and cracked like something alive. 

"What happened at the Conclave?" she asked gently. How did she survive when everyone else had been killed? And how in Andraste's name did she end up with such a mark on her hand? Leliana's missive had not given any further details and when she had spoken to the spymaster, she had not offered any further explanation.

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Oh it was nice to be held. Varia was loathe to break the embrace but allowed herself to be lead to sit, her legs were beginning to feel weak as it was. She looked on hopefully as Elysia seemed to ponder a response, the tears coming to a halt for the moment. She couldn’t ask for much better than Elysia. So many years of hearing half stories about her heroics before finally gaining the truth from the Dalish clan who’d assisted her in the great battle. Her very cousin had slaid the archdemon, and now she could fight off whatever threat had killed the Divine and was ushering in this chaos. Freedom seemed so near Varia could taste the clean air of the Emerald Plains and the sweet water of the river. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]And then Elysia spoke and Varia felt her mouth was filled with ash. She stared numbly at the other woman, eyes glazed and cheeks pale. All courageous talk of helping these people. That word [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]must [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]spoken with great weight. The promise of death to all without her. A pledge of loyalty. Her mind churned slowly as she remained silent, watching with little interest when Elysia began to examine the mark. She shifted a bit and returned her hand to her chest, folding her other one over it to block out that sickly green. “It hurts very badly.” She murmured quietly, lost in thought. She never lied about that, even when Cassandra frowned her disapproval and Leliana hid the rolling of her eyes. It did hurt. The rest of her body did too most days and now her chest felt barely held together. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]For all the speaking her mind she’d done since waking up in that cell, Varia had managed to hold it together until today. Her hopes had soared so high when Elysia walked through the door and now they had plummeted down even deeper. She didn’t want [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]help. [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]She wanted out. She didn’t want this crusade or the responsibility or any of it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]She got up from the bed and wandered to the little window in the room. Snow, bustling bodies. Varia watched Commander Cullen talking to someone, giving them a clap on the shoulder. This man was one of about a thousand more qualified than she was. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Elysia’s question drew her out of her thoughts. She didn’t turn to look at her, despite everything she didn’t wish to lash out at the other woman. “Where to begin?” She chuckled. Varic was right, this story was unbelievable and this was really her first time telling it. “The clan my mother and I travel with wished to know about this great meeting. It’s nice to know when the shems plan to try to convert them, after all. Since I’m half and have experience with human nobility I was asked to go. I did. I listened to the proceedings and was unimpressed. But I was walking down the hall, looking for somewhere they might keep documents of use and I heard this cry for help.” Her finger moved over the window, tracing some of the frost patterns on the other side. “And I can’t explain why I pushed open those doors, I wouldn’t normally, but I did and there was this great...monstrous figure pinning the Divine in the air. I don’t know what he was doing to her but it had this orb and she knocked it out of its hand.” She stared at the mark. “I picked it up, and the last thing I recall after that was clawing my way out of the fade. It’s ridiculous really. I would laugh at me if I were you.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The anger bubbled in her again along with every moment of helplessness she’d felt. She turned and folded her arms. “I didn’t ask for this Elysia. And quite frankly I don’t deserve this shit.” She moved a few paces and then kicked out at the little desk chair, sending it crashing against the wall. “And it’s bullshit that I have to deal with this. These people wouldn’t give a damn about me if not for this mark.” She laughed bitterly. “I don’t even believe in Adraste’s divinity and if the Maker exists he’s a proper bastard.” She glared at the chair, agitated with herself for kicking it and yet very much wishing to kick it again. “I won’t lead these strangers and I won’t be their herald and I certainly won’t save them!” Her voice was rising in pitch which made whatever was wrong with her ribs burn and she was beginning to feel light headed but she didn’t give a damn at this point even if the door was open. [/SIZE]

Cullen

Cullen rubbed a hand over his face and sighed deeply as the new recruits in front of him sparred with movements that were far too clumsy. He tried to keep his temper in check and be patient with them but being soft wasn't going to save any lives. These men needed to learn how to fight, and fast. Maker knew what they would face in the coming days. It was imperative that they be fully prepared for whatever lay ahead of them. The sky was quiet for now, but it wouldn't stay that way for long. They had gotten word that the there were smaller rifts opening up throughout Ferelden and Orlais and the demons spilling from them would need to be held back until they could figure out a way to close them. Varia had been mostly uncooperative and Cullen didn't hold much hope that she would stay to help. 

The Commander turned to his Lieutenant and clapped a hand on his shoulder while he motioned with the other to the recruits. "Keep them at it until they get it right. This training could save their lives and I don't want to lose anyone because they don't know how to parry."

The lieutenant nodded his agreement. "Yes, Commander." He moved forward to issue more guidance and Cullen stepped back to leave him to it. He would come back and oversee their progress later, but for now he had a meeting with the other advisors. Varia too, if she had woken. He had checked in on her briefly after she has sealed the breach. She had looked so peaceful and innocent as she rested. To look at her pretty sleeping face one would never have believed she had such power within her, but he had seen her seal the rift with his own eyes. She was strong and powerful. If she stayed he imagined she would do a lot of good. Convincing her of that, however, was likely to be a difficult task. 

The former Templar stopped at the infirmary on his way to the Chantry to see if she had come to. Solas and Apothecary Adon had seemed confident that she was recovering. He lifted his hand to rap his knuckles on the partly opened door but when he heard voices coming from inside, he paused. Varia was awake, then. He listened to her proclaim that she would not help the people here who needed her and he frowned, pushing the door more fully open with the flat or his palm. His gaze came to rest on the blonde haired woman and he clenched his jaw in an effort to keep any accusing words to himself.

"Your presence is requested in the war room," he said instead, but his tone sounded curt and harsh even to his own ears. He wanted to shake her for being so selfish, but what could he honestly say? He couldn't demand that she risk her life for them. 

"You're the Commander?" The voice came from the bed where another woman sat. He recognised her instantly, despite the decade that had passed. The Hero of Ferelden. Leliana had mentioned that she had reached out to her. It was only thanks to she and her companions that he had escaped Kinloch Hold alive. 

"I am," he nodded and stepped forward to shake the hand she offered as she rose to her feet. "Cullen Rutherford."

"Cullen..." She repeated, recognition flickering in her eyes. He nodded once more, lifting a hand to rub the back of his neck. 

"We met briefly in the Ferelden Circle," he explained and could tell by the way that her eyes darkened that she remembered the horrors of what happened there just as easily as he did.

"Ah." She gave a short nod of her own. "Yes, of course. I'm glad to see you're well, Commander." 

"Thank you," he smiled, though it didn't quite reach his eyes. He could only imagine what her memory of him was. He had been hardly a man when she had found him; broken and tormented by abominations and bloodmages alike. He was haunted still by the events during the Blight and he did not wish to relive them now. 

"Give us a moment," Elysia reasoned as she moved to stand next to Varia. "We'll be there shortly." The Commander's eyes flickered back to the Herald briefly before he nodded and dismissed himself. 

Elysia

Elysia waited until Cullen had pulled the door shut behind him before she spoke again. The Commander looked much healthier now, almost unrecognizable, though the dark circles beneath his eyes seemed to remain. She imagined he was haunted by as many nightmares as she was. More, perhaps, after what he had endured. Taking a deep breath, Sia let it out in a sigh before turning to her cousin. Varia just needed a little time to come to terms with everything. She would come around. She had to. Or they were all surely doomed. 

"Varia, listen to me," she began, lifting her hands to the other woman's upper arms. She caught her gaze and held it firmly. "I know none of this is fair. I know you're not ready for this responsibility and all you want to do is run, but you have to help. You're the only one who can," she squeezed gently, trying to get through to her. "Who will protect your clan, your mother?" She knew this was the last thing Varia wanted to hear, especially when she had believed that Elysia had come to relieve her of her responsibility, but she had to try to get through to her; to make her understand just what would happen if she refused to help. Perhaps she was being a bully, but there was too much at stake here. The fate of Thedas was held in the balance.

"I understand how you're feeling. I do. Do you think I asked to be the one to kill the Archedemon? Do you think I deserved that fate? I was far from ready when the Blight began. I had just lost my family, my home," she reminded her, her throat tightening as she thought of it. She swallowed hard, forcing the emotion down so that she could continue. "Though I agreed to become a Warden, I never dreamed the responsibility of gathering an army to battle the darkspawn would fall solely to Alistair and I. There were so many Wardens above us, and then they were massacred and there was no one to take over except the two of us. We had to take responsibility because no one else could."

It wasn't fair. It wasn't fair for anyone to have to take this on alone, but if Varia had been given a way to close the rifts then it was up to her to close them. Nobody else could do this for her and Elysia could not do it herself, even if she wanted to. 

"I wanted to run, too," she admitted, her voice softening. "I wanted to leave and find Fergus and forget about everyone else but there was no one else who could do what needed to be done." The fear had been overwhelming in the beginning. It wasn't just the fear of danger or death. It was the fear of failing, of being held responsible should the evil spread. The fear that she would let down those who believed in her. 

"The people of Ferelden didn't support us," Elysia reminded her cousin, trying to show her that they had succeeded against the odds. That she had been in Varia's shoes once and that she wasn't alone here. "Alistair and I had a death warrant placed on our heads. We got no thanks and no help from the people we were trying to save until the Archedemon showed itself. People are grateful now, but that wasn't always the case." She recalled the muttered words behind their backs, the looks of distate. The constant fear that someone was running to the garrison to alert them of where they could find the Grey Wardens. "We were run out of villages and refused aid because of the lies that were spread about the Wardens. Loghain made certain of that. Still we persevered. These people want to support you; to believe that you will protect them. It's more than I had." 

She wondered if any of what she was saying would be enough. She didn't want to lose her cousin and she knew that her words were harsh and demanding. She knew she would likely resent her for the rest of her life if she did decide to stay, but what kind of Hero would she be if she did not try?

"Everything will fall apart without you, and where will you run to when these rifts have taken over all of Thedas?" she asked quietly, releasing Varia's shoulders and taking a step back. "I'm going to help these people. Please stay. Come with me to the war room. Hear what they have to say."

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]No sooner had she sucked in a breath than none other than Cullen appeared, face stern and voice even more so. Varia understood suddenly how that all must have sounded to an outsider’s ears and swiftly looked away from him, tongue heavy in her mouth. She may not have liked him very much but he didn’t deserve to hear that. His eyes were sad enough without her input. She folded her arms across her chest, wishing she’d put on a coat while introductions took place around her. Of course they’d met and judging by the look on Cullen’s face there was a nasty memory associated with that meeting. The half elf was glad when he left, she had the strange urge to apologize that only lifted when he was gone. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]But then Elysia was all but in her face and Varia wished for a moment that her cousin had waited a day to arrive. The speech that followed seemed half guilt trip half pre battle motivation. Varia couldn’t escape the other woman so she stood in silence and listened to her talk, feeling less in control of her own agency more and more with each passing moment.  She averted her gaze and swallowed down a mouthful of protests. Elyisa was probably the only person on earth who really had a right to talk to her like this but that didn’t make the truth any easier to bear. These people didn’t just want her accursed hand, they wanted her identity. They wanted to strip away everything she was and make her into their political pawn, their religious icon and their figurehead in one fell swoop. And apparently the right thing to do was to let them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]When Elysia finally let her go, Varia merely turned away from her and shrugged into her coat, still not bothering with shoes. “Fine. I’ll go. I’ll let them parade me around and I’ll fight their demons and kill myself for a cause I want nothing to do with.” She glanced back at her, bitterness evident in her face. “You’re going to tell me everything you learned and experienced with the Blight. Every sacrifice , everything. Because I want to know what I’m giving up.” She took one step back towards the other woman. “And Elysia, when this is all over, and I’m still living, I’m leaving and no one will stop me.” She turned and shoved the door open and stormed towards the War Room. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Several people looked at her in awe and she felt nausea gathering. One woman, poor soul, reached out to touch the half elf’s arm and Varia jerked it away. “Don’t touch me.” She hissed. After what seemed miles of walking with Elysia at her heels she threw the doors open and came to stand in front of their little map. Josephine opened her mouth to announce the bullet points of the meeting but Varia held up a hand. “No, I have something to say. As is made clear to me, I will be a part of this until the rifts are gone. Let me make something clear to all of you. I will do what you need me to do but know this. I do not believe in your God. I do not believe in your government and will not pretend to. I am here because demons will evidently the whole of world without me.  Is that clear?” She exhaled heavily and leaned against the table. “I’m...I’m sorry I’m not who you need. But I’m here. And that’s the best I can do.” She shut up and looked down at the table. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Josephine raised her eyebrows and nodded. “Well good. As long as you’re here we can carry on.” She smiled levelly and held out a hand without looking to calm Cassandra who looked ready to leap across the table at her. [/SIZE]

Elysia

There was a time when Elysia would have insisted that Varia shouldn't have to do this if she didn't want to, and there was still part of her that wanted to support her, but she knew what would happen without her help and she couldn't allow that to happen. She had changed since the Blight had ended, and it wasn't necessarily all for the better. She would have liked to promise the other woman that everything would be alright and that they would both survive this, but she couldn't promise that. Varia deserved the truth. Besides, she didn't need Elysia to tell her how much danger she would be in. She knew that already. 

The Warden kept silent and simply nodded when her cousin insisted she was leaving once all of this was over. She had no need to argue that. She wanted her to escape this and live the rest of her life the moment the danger had passed. She didn't want Varia to keep getting sucked back in, like she, herself, seemed to. Once the Blight had ended she had believed she could finally relax; that she and Alistair could settle down in a sweet little house and have a family. Little did she know how difficult it was for one Warden to have a child, much less two. Her heart ached for babies that would never come and she couldn't help but bitterly wonder if it was for the best. The world was never safe, and there had always been something else to do. She had become Warden Commander almost immediately after the Blight had ended and Alistair had left to destroy the darkspawn stragglers. Then there was the whole mess with the Architect and the Mother. Even when that had been put to bed and she had stepped down from her role, she and Alistair has followed King Maric's trail in the hope of finding him. What a mess that had been. She had gone in search of a cure for the Calling, desperate for some way to save them both but when she'd learned of what had transpired in Haven, she'd had to abandon that task. She would return to it eventually, but it might be too late. When last she'd heard from Alistair, he was on the run from the rest of the Wardens. She needed to find him and bring him here where he would be safe, but it had been some time since she'd received any word from him. It terrified her that he was alone and in danger. 

Elysia hurried after Varia as she stormed through the camp towards the Chantry. She had insisted she wanted to know every sacrifice that Elysia had made but there were things she could never tell her. She could never know how they had both survived. No one could. All Elysia wanted to do was forget it had ever happened. It was her darkest secret and she kept it buried deep within her. 

Cullen

The two women arrived in the war room not long after Cullen had arrived. He hadn't mentioned the words Varia had spoken when she thought no one but Elysia was listening. He didn't need to get the others more riled up about everything than they already were. Tensions were at a high since the blast at the Conclave and without a solid plan, he knew things would remain that way. With Varia being unhelpful, there was little they could do to fix the torn sky except to battle the demons that fell from it, as hard and as often as they could afford. So many soldiers had already been lost and he feared that those that remained would not last much longer should their numbers and their chances not improve.

Cullen's eyebrows lifted in surprise when Varia agreed to stay and help, his eyes flickering to Elysia. Had she really managed to convince her? She didn't look entirely pleased with herself and he couldn't help but wonder what things she'd said to change the Herald's mind. Obviously nothing very pleasant. Still, this was a relief. Thank the Maker she had changed her mind! With Varia here to close the rifts, the future looked far better. They had hope now, if nothing else.

Leliana took the opportunity to introduce Elysia to Cassandra and Josephine once Varia had finished speaking. After short pleasantries, the Warden stepped forward to the wooden table, settling her hands down upon it. "So, she began as she studied the map in front of her. "What's the plan?" 

"I've mentioned that your mark needs more power to close the breach for good," Cassandra began, inclining her head towards the advisers. Cullen lifted a hand to rest on the hilt of his sword while he listened, his eyes flickering back to Varia a final time. Would she survive closing the breach again? They had demanded this of her, regardless of whether it would kill her or not. The last time had taken so much out of her. He couldn't help but wonder what would happen if she attempted to close it completely and finally. 

"Which means we must approach the rebel mages for help," Leliana put in and Cullen's eyes moved to hers. 

"And I still disagree," he argued. "The Templars could serve just as well." He had seen first hand what unchecked mages could do. Now that they had temporarily freed themselves from the Circles, he worried what course of action they would take. What would this freedom lead to? He didn't want what happened in the Ferelden Circle, to happen again. It had been a living nightmare and he couldn't bear the thought of having to relive it. His grip tightened on his sword and he worked on leveling his breathing, even as Cassandra sighed impatiently.

"We need power, Commander. Enough magic poured into that mark-"

"Might destroy us all," Cullen interrupted with a frown. "Templars could suppress the breach. Weaken it so- 

"Pure speculation," Leliana cut him off and now it was Cullen's turn to sigh with the frustration of having this argument again. 

"I was a Templar," he reminded them, releasing his grip on the sword to grip the edge of the table in front of him. "I know what they're capable of." The room was quiet for a moment, and then Elysia spoke up, drawing their attention away.

"At least we have options," she reasoned, likely in an effort to avoid more arguments. She straightened up and crossed her arms over her chest, still pondering the map with her eyebrows drawn together.

"Unfortunately neither group will even speak to us yet," Josephine announced as she shifted her notes aside. "Approaching the mages and Templars for help is currently out of the question, what with the Chantry against us." Cullen had a feeling that the Chantry would always be against them but it would be difficult to win over the Templars without the support of the Chantry and he very much preferred the idea of asking for aid of them, rather than the rebel mages. 

"There is something we can do, however," Leliana advised as walked around the war table and set a letter down in front of Varia. "A Chantry cleric by the name of Mother Giselle has asked to speak to you. Her assistance could be invaluable."

"Where is she?" the Warden asked, glancing up from the map only briefly. 

"You will find her tending to the wounded in the Hinterlands, near Redcliffe." Leliana pointed to the area on the map and Elysia let out a soft sigh, as though she were disappointed by that news. He watched her curiously but didn't comment.

"I will join you when you leave," Cullen decided, looking back up at Varia. "I need to meet with the soldiers there and do what I can to gather more recruits."

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Back to business as usual it seemed save for Elysia stepping forward . This allowed Varia a blessed reprieve from being the center of attention. She could tell by Cassandra’s expression that she would have taken Elysia in a heartbeat. In fact she remembered her once saying something to that effect, with her second choice being Varric’s old companion Hawke. Varia herself was an unhappy necessity. Josephine seemed to think of her as a challenge to be conquered which she supposed was something of an improvement. Leliana was all but impossible to read. And Cullen, she didn’t know what to make of him. She wished he wasn’t so good looking, that would make things easier in some small way. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The argument that broke out this time was between choosing templars and rebel mages, neither of which sounded especially appealing to Varia. She felt a modicum of sympathy for the mages, like the elves they seemed to be systematically oppressed. However there seemed to always seemed to be violence surrounding everything they did. And blood magic was a universal concern. On the other hand, the Templars were a powerful organization made of warriors who certainly had more to offer in granting them legitimacy. That seemed to be of great importance, and Cullen’s assurance of their capabilities to suppress the rift made her lean slightly more in that direction. Plus, as far as she knew Templars were loathe to give themselves to demons. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Her opinion wasn’t exceptionally important in some of these matters but her vow to stay (even if under duress) made her offer a small comment. “The templars seem the safer choice.” She glanced at Cullen beneath her lashes then back to Elysia who offered an amiable delay to the decision making. That much was good, and seemed to silence the the group on the topic for a moment. Varia peered over Elysia’s shoulder at the map. So much ground to cover and so many damned doors to unlock through one method or another. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Her brows quirked when mention of a ‘Mother Giselle’ came up as the key to the next door. She shifted already uncomfortable with dealing with the Chantry as it is. The last time she was anywhere near an important Chantry figure she ended up dead or worse. And placating this woman might well mean showing more interest in her false title as the Herald than she was remotely interested in doing. But she’d made a promise to do what they asked of her. “We’ll leave in the morning then.” Her eyes cut at Cullen, a little surprised to hear he’d be joining them. She wanted to suggest he stay, weren’t the troops more important? Though honestly they hardly had enough to really require someone of his skill. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]She nodded. “Alright. Tomorrow morning. Elyisa, Commander Cullen and…” Cassandra would be the smart choice with her chantry connections. But all three of them would leave any disagreement out of her favor. “And Solas.” She felt he was her only consistent ally outside of Varric. “I’m going to prepare and rest. Mother Giselle, tomorrow.” She nodded to the room and turned and excused herself. They could handle the minor details without her. She waited around for Elysia to appear. Their previous conversation aside, she was still glad to have her here. After all their years apart she really missed the other woman. “There’s a hot spring a short walk from here. And I need a bath desperately.” She glanced at Cullen when he and the rest passed, then looked back at Elysia. “I want to catch up, so come on.” She took her cousin’s hand and lead her away.  Once they were outside and away from most of the activity, the tension went out of her shoulders. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Tell me everything you’ve been up to. About what happened to our family or anything else.”  She’d rather have someone else’s story than her own. [/SIZE]

Cullen

Cullen was pleased that Varia seemed to agree with him about asking for aid from the Templars. It was the safer choice. They didn't have to worry about them succumbing to blood magic and demons, especially with so many falling from the sky. Varia's opinion would likely have a great effect on their final decision considering she was the one who would be closing the breach. He imagined the group would defer to her since they could not make a unanimous decision.

"Good, then it's decided," he announced, mostly chancing his luck. Leliana's was quick to correct him, however. 

"Nothing is decided until we meet with Mother Giselle, Cullen. As well you know." She sent him a smirk and crossed her arms over her chest and he resisted the urge to sigh again. 

Varia announced that Solas and Elysia would join them and Cullen nodded his agreement. Solas was an apostate, and that made him nervous, but he also seemed to be a reasonable man. They'd had no trouble with him so far. On the contrary, he had been quite helpful with his knowledge of the Fade. It was decided that they would leave tomorrow and Cullen nodded once more. 

"I will need to prepare the Lieutenant for my absence, but tomorrow morning will be fine."

They spoke a little more on where to find Mother Giselle and where they might find people willing to join their cause, once Varia had exited the room. From the fighting between the mages and Templars, to the demons that were scouring the land, the people would be desperate for an escape or a way to earn a living now that homes and farms had been destroyed. The Inquisiton could offer them that, he just needed to reach out. It would be good, in any case, to touch base with the troops that had been sent to aid those caught in the crossfire. 

Elysia

Elysia was pleased that Varia had waited for her when she exited the War Room. She smiled at her cousin, relieved to find that she wasn't entirely cross with her and actually wanted to spend time together. Elysia didn't need much convincing. Especially at the mention of a hot spring. One thing she had always missed about her life in Higherver Castle was the access she had to hot water. There was so little time to boil any while she was on the road. Especially not enough for a bath. This would be a much welcomed luxury. She was eager for the chance to wash up and soothe her aching muscles after her travels. 

"Good idea," she breathed, squeezing Varia's hand gently as she walked alongside her. When the other woman asked her to give her details on what happened before the Blight, Elysia hesitated momentarily. She didn't want to think about parts of this story but the Couslands were family to Varia too and she had every right to know the details.

"It's a long story, most of which I'm sure you've already heard." Tales of her exploits were exaggerated greatly, however. It would be good for Varia to know exactly what had happened; to get her side of it and learn the truth.

"Highever castle was ambushed at night by Arl Howe. We never expected it for a moment. Father was due to ride to Ostagar with him the following morning. Most of our troops had been sent ahead with Fergus and luckily he managed to survive but..." She trailed off, heaving a heavy sigh and taking a moment to compose herself before she continued. 

"So many were lost that night. Mother and Father didn't make it out. The only reason I survived was because Duncan, a Grey Warden, managed to get me through the servants passage and out the back of the castle. Everyone else...." If not for Duncan she surely would have remained behind and would have been killed alongside her parents. It had taken some time to be grateful for that; when guilt had ripped at her every time she thought about how she had left them behind. 

"Anyway, that's how I came to join the Wardens."

She went through the rest of the story, how they had arrived the morning before the big battle, meeting Alistair and then watching from the tower as Loghain quit the battlefield and the King and the Wardens were slaughtered. She told her about waking up in Flemeths hut and their journey to gather an army strong enough to take out the darkspawn threat. She spoke of the friends she found along the way and how, despite everything, she and Alistair had fallen in love. She explained how she had killed Rendon Howe and the final battle and how she had survived despite what the legends had said. She omitted the part about the dark ritual, keeping it locked away inside her. She told the other woman everything that had lead her to Haven; what she had faced as Warden Commander and how she had been searching for a cure to the Calling when she had received Leliana's letter. How she had come straight here to be with her.

"I haven't heard from Alistair in some time," she said quietly. They had reached the hot spring now and she began to undress. "In his last letter he told me that he was hiding from the rest of the Wardens," she shook her head, eyebrows drawn together in frustration. "It doesn't make sense. They know how much he has sacrificed as a Warden. They know how passionate he is about the Order. Why would they be after him?" She sighed deeply, rubbing her forehead before climbing into the spring. Elysia sighed once more at the relief the warm water provided. She settled back against the rocks, though her worry didn't lift. "The last letter I received mentioned that he was journeying to the Storm Coast but that was so long ago now. Maker knows where he is now." 

Elysia lifted the water to her face and held it there for a moment until it trickled between her fingers and disappeared. She lowered her hands, watching the water ripple around her. "I need to search for him. Perhaps we'll come across some sign of him or maybe he'll learn I'm here and come on his own." She had to hope. She couldn't bear the idea of him being in danger, especially without her.

"So tell me," Elysia insisted, changing the subject with a soft smile as she lifted her stormy eyes to Varia's. "How is your mother? What's life been like with the Dalish elves? I haven't seen you in so long. It feels like a lifetime since we last spoke."

[SIZE=14.6667px]Varia stripped out of her clothes eagerly, enjoying the brisk cold against her nakedness. She found the lack of alone time since her arriving here distressing to say the least. Among the elves she would have simply go into the woods alone and bathed in the clear streams. Here, being naked was a luxury. She sunk into the hot water and let out a groan of pleasure. She took a moment to examine herself, noting the ugly bruising on her ribs. “Pride demon. Nasty thing came out when I was trying to close the Rift. Fucker.” She smiled and settled in, eager to hear Elysia’s tale.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]The story of the Couslands was a sad one. She and her mother had received a curt letter about the incident from her father’s secretary, and then another soon after detailing her father’s death. He’d been killed while in Loghain’s service and was not missed. She reached out and took Elysia’s hand, frowning at her. “I’m so sorry about your parents. They were always kind to me.” And they had been. When her own father got into one of his drinking fits and terrorized his entire household Varia had often walked the short distance to her aunt and uncle’s home and had always been received with open arms and whatever sweets they had. She could call Elysia being happy to share her bed. Oh the talks they had as little girls, dreaming of their future lovers and daring adventures. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“Thank God for Duncan then. He sounds like a god send.” The story of Loghain’s betrayal had been massively warped each time she’d heard it so to hear her cousin’s version was refreshing. He was a traitor and her father was too. “I hear Cailan was very handsome, that’s a shame really.” The whole bit about Flemeth was probably the most unbelievable of all the whole tale on top of her sister’s lover being a bastard prince. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Varia leaned forward, aghast. “Alistair the bastard prince. You should have put him on the throne and been queen Elysia.” But her telling of his reluctance made her reconsider her words. “You’re too kind, as always. I’m glad you had a go at Howe.” The final demon made her lean forward like a child, eyes wide with wonder. “Incredible Elysia. You really are a hero it seems.” She smiled and felt her inner self shrivel. If the Inquisition expected anything close to that out of her, they were in for disappointment. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She frowned to hear about her separation from her lover. “We’ll find him. I’ll bring it up at the next war room meeting. He’ll be a valuable ally. Especially since most of the Wardens in this area are mysteriously missing. We’ll find him...you’ll have to give me more details on him though. Was he a wonderful lover?” She grinned and laughed, feeling very young again. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]When Elysia returned her question, Varia smiled softly. “Well, as you know my mother became fed up with my father when we were twelve. I was beginning to show signs of changing and she didn’t like how some of his men looked at me.” She shifted, eyes clouded. “She came from the alienage of course. Father had just taken a stroll and plucked her out of it. She was lucky he hired her on as a servant, not so lucky when she had me. Either way we left in the night with all of our things. It took us almost a month to find the Dalish clan and by then we were thin as bones. They took us in though. I learned to use a bow, to track and make myself hidden when I needed to be. Mother was a wonderful seamstress so she never wanted for work. They were wonderful Elysia. Never looked down on me for being half blooded.” She smiled fondly at the memory. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]“When the Blight struck, most of the clan stayed behind, I believe you had dealings with them and the wolves. Nasty, ugly business from what we heard. But I probably would have stayed if I’d guessed in a million years you would have been there. Anyway, mother and I joined some of the others and traveled here. We met up with a clan on the Emerald Plains and it was lovely there. Truly I even met a boy,” She rolled her eyes. “Handsome and very aware of it. I very much doubt he's waiting for me. He hasn't sent word with the leader's letters. But when they needed someone to spy on the Conclave, I was the obvious choice. And here I am. After being wrongly accused, imprisoned, and everything else.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She stretched her legs out into the water. “Madness, all of it.” She concluded. [/SIZE]

Elysia

Elysia gave Varia a sad smile and when she took her hand, she gave it a gentle squeeze. She had had her time to grieve for her parents and the wound didn't hurt so badly anymore.

"Thank you. At first it was difficult to deal with the guilt of leaving them behind, but they wanted me to live; to avenge their deaths and and do some good." Her smile grew warmer and she released Varia's hand as she settled further into the warm water. "At least I managed that much."

When talk turned to Alistair being a bastard prince, Elysia grinned. She had thought about having Alistair become King, and herself his Queen, but it wasn't something she had ever truly desired. Knowing how Alistair felt about the whole thing made her decision an easy one. 

"He never wanted the throne and I saw how much he had suffered and all I wanted was to make him happy," she explained, her eyes tender. Her heart ached to think of how he had grown up; always believing he was an inconvenience and never feeling at home anywhere. He deserved to be happy and he was, with the Wardens. She wouldn't be the one to take that from him. "He would have made a good King, but he would have been miserable. Anora has been a fit enough Queen in any case." The people were anxious that she was yet to provide an heir to the throne but if she and Alistair had taken her place, they wouldn't have been able to provide one at all. Anora was still young. She could marry yet and if that was Ferelden's biggest worry, she was doing her job well. 

Elysia returned Varia's smile but said nothing when she called her a hero. She hadn't felt like much of one, not after that damned dark ritual. It made her stomach turn to think about it. Even if guilt for her parents had passed, guilt for this was deep rooted. She couldn't imagine how Alistair could stand to look at her after she asked such a thing of him. Were the roles reversed, she knew he would have simply taken the killing blow in her place. He had always been a better person than she. He was the true Hero or Ferelden. She was desperate to see him again, though part of her always wondered whether he would be better off without her. Not knowing if he was safe was almost unbearable so when Varia agreed that they would look for him, it eased some of the tightness from her chest. 

"Thank you," she breathed, looking at the other woman earnestly. "Truly. I'll feel better once he's with us." She wrapped her arms around herself, staring, unseeing, into the water. "I will never forgive myself for leaving if something has happened to him." Her mind was filled with the worst kinds of possibilities and she knew she wouldn't get a proper night's sleep until she laid eyes on him again. 

Varia attempted to steer the conversation onto lighter topics and Sia couldn't help but to laugh with her when she inquired after Alistair's skill as a lover. "Oh yes," she grinned, mischievously. "He's very attentive and giving. I am a lucky woman." They giggled like teenagers for a moment and Elysia felt the weight of the world ease off of her shoulders for just a moment. A wave of nostalgia washed over her and she wished, not for the first time, that she could be a normal woman who didn't have to worry about saving the world. She knew only too well how Varia was feeling.

Elysia listened with rapt attention when her cousin told her of the life she'd had with the Dalish elves. She was relieved to learn that she had been happy with them; that they had accepted her and that her life had been happier than when she'd lived with her father. 

"I'm so glad you were able to find a home and a family with them," Sia told her sincerely, smiling. Thank the Maker she had left. If she'd remained behind there was a possibility she would not have survived. Where would they be now, without her? They wouldn't have had any way to close the breach and she would have lost her best friend without getting to know her again as an adult. She was grateful for this opportunity. 

Elysia wiggled her eyebrows at Varia when she mentioned a boy back at home, though it was disappointing to learn that he hadn't tried to contact her since she'd left for the Conclave. "Well, it's his loss," she insisted. "Perhaps you'll find romance, here. Commander Cullen is very handsome," she noted with a grin before dipping back to wet her hair. She ran her fingers through the shoulder length strands, sighing softly in contentment. She had grown far too used to bathing in cold streams. There was nothing quite like the comfort of warm water.

"For what it's worth, I'm glad you decided to stay. I promise that as soon as you're no longer needed, I will personally make sure you get as far away from here as you desire," she promised. She knew she had bullied Varia into her decision and she knew she probably would resent her for it, but she hoped they could move past than and grow as close as they had been as children. This was a very good start. It was a relief to know that Varia was not holding it against her just yet. 

[SIZE=14.6667px]Since the Conclave Varia had been plagued by a feeling of not being heard. Cassandra talked over her, Leiliana put words in her mouth and Josephine feigned interest only as long as was polite. To have someone really listen to her was a blessing. The tiff with the other woman wasn’t forgotten, but it didn’t seem as important as their relationship for the moment. Varia had never wept for her father when they’d left, but she had cried for her friend. Among the other elven children she’d been an oddity for a time. They’d all known one another from birth and it took a long time for Varia to feel like she was one of them. With Elysia though, that feeling was as bright as it had been more than ten years ago. Their friendship had been and hopefully always would be effortless. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She was pulled from her thoughts by Elysia’s unwarranted comment about Cullen[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] of all people. The blonde felt her cheeks turning a deep red and stuttered for a moment, trying to come up with some comeback to silence the other woman. “First of all, we do not get along. Secondly, he’s...he’s so…” Human was the word to come to mind but it wasn’t really a valid insult in the scheme of things. She was raised among humans for half her life. “He’s very focused on his work and I’m sure he thinks I’m strange looking and a complete psychopath after the little display he walked in on today so just no.” She knew she was overreacting enough to hint that yes, he was handsome and she had been looking but that didn’t invalidate her other comments. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She ignored Elysia’s more serious comment. Talking about that would just put her in a foul mood again. She did return one of her own, however. “I am sorry I kicked that chair and shouted. I’m sure I looked very much the child in the midst of a tantrum” She chuckled a bit and smiled back at Elysia. “Remember how quiet and gentle I was as a girl? What happened to her?” She chuckled at her own joke but sank down into the water for a moment to rinse through her own hair, cut a bit shorter than her cousin’s and peppered here and there with braids. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]When she came back up, she noted how pruny her fingers were growing. “I think we’d best head back lest I never have the strength to leave.” She climbed out of the water and yelped when the cold wind hit her naked form. “My god, it’s cold!” She hurried over to her clothes and swiftly put them on. “If you fall and freeze I’m leaving you!” She announced before heading back towards Haven in a dead sprint, laughing at the childish feeling of it all. She knew Elysia couldn’t catch her, she never had been able to, but the thrill of the came was still there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She rushed through the gates and nearly bowled over a merchant before hurrying up to Varric’s spot to sit beside him at the fire. The dwarf chuckled, having never seen Varia act anything but stern outside of private conversations. “You look about sixteen years old when you aren’t scowling.” He commented in his typical false flirtation. Varia grinned at him and huddled closer to the fire. “Well thank you. Don’t get used to it.” Varric smiled at her, and then glanced up to admire Elysia’s approaching form. “One family with two great beauties. That’s a story worth writing.” Varia stared at him as he wrote his idea down and had nothing but laughter despite herself. She needed to head up back to bed soon, but for now she’d enjoy the fire. [/SIZE]

Elysia

Elysia grinned when Varia objected wholeheartedly to her simple comment about Cullen being handsome. She took in her blushing cheeks and laughed lightly. So she did think so. Good to know.

"I'm sure he thinks you're beautiful, because you are. Maybe a little crazy, granted, but we can work on that," she teased with a playful wink. How good it felt to be with family again. Elysia had missed her cousin far more than she had realised. Being reunited with her now only proved that. She regretted not reaching out to her sooner. She had found Fergus, thank the Maker, but he had returned to Highever Castle and visiting him there brought painful memories. Although the floors had been scrubbed clean of any trace of blood, the images remained clear and vivid in her mind. 

They got out of the water and Elysia shivered against the frigid air as she hurriedly dressed. Haven had always been so cold, up in the mountains as it was. The Hinterlands would be a little warmer, at least. She longed to get going.

"Varia!" Elysia gasped as the other woman took off at a run, abandoning her while she was still trying to pull on her boots. She tugged them on more fully and then raced after her with a laugh, feeling lighter then she had in some time. She didn't catch up, of course. Varia had always been faster than her, even when they took off at the same time. She watched the blonde haired woman move through the camp before coming to a stop next to the fire. Sia followed, slower now to catch her breath before she reached her. As she neared, she realised she recognised the dwarf that stood next to her. 

"Varric. It's good to see you again. How have you been?" She asked with a wide smile. Varric and Isabela had both joined she and Alistair on their quest to find King Maric. She had enjoyed his company, not to mention that he had saved her life more than once. She was pleased to see him again, though she wished it was under better circumstances. Varric had originally joined them because of the allure of a good story. Finding the lost King of Ferelden; who could ask for better material? After what they had found, however, she didn't imagine he would ever put pen to paper. Not about that. 

"Well, Freckles, as you can see," the dwarf began in answer to her question. He'd given her the nickname thanks to the sprinkling of freckles she had across her nose. They had faded some in the winter months but they would soon return as soon as the sun made another appearance. The Dwarf gestured with a gloved hand to the tent set up next to him. "I didn't exactly make it back to Kirkwall after we parted ways."

"I noticed," she chuckled. "Leliana's message mentioned you'd been ambushed by Seeker Cassandra on your way."

Varric shrugged his broad shoulders, returning her smile with one of his own. "She wanted a live retelling of the Tale of the Champion and who was I to refuse?" Elysia had only met Cassandra briefly but she seemed a stern, no nonsense woman. Definitely not the sort you often dared say no to. The Warden flopped down next to Varia and scooted as close as she could to the heat of the fire. She shivered and pulled her heavy cloak tighter around herself as she waited for her hair to dry. 

"Where's Lover Boy?" Varric asked as he lifted his hands to the warmth of the fire. Elysia stiffened a little at the mention of Alistair but answered, in any case.

"We parted ways a little while after we left you. Alistair was needed with the Wardens and I had a task of my own to undertake," she explained, not wanting to say too much. She didn't want to have to answer more questions than necessary. Besides, the Wardens liked their secrets and she supposed she should keep a few, at least.  

"He'll join us here, soon," she tacked on. "Hopefully we'll receive word from him in the coming days." She didn't want to talk anymore about not knowing where he was. Guilt already threatened to overwhelm her. 

"I'd like to borrow some armour," Elysia spoke, changing the subject as she turned towards Varia. "With the Wardens mysteriously absent, it's probably best I don't wear my own armour until we learn more about what's going on." She didn't have a lot with her, certainly nothing else to change into that would provide any sort of protection. She hoped there would be some spare pieces of gear she could throw together until she had the opportunity to purchase something better fitted.

[SIZE=14.6667px]Varia listened with interest at first, eager to hear of Elysia’s time with the dwarf. Varric had a very soothing voice though, and soon the half elf’s eyes were growing heavy. She tuned in now and then, mostly at the mention of Alistair and of the Champion. She tilted her head and felt the need once again to press for details on the mysterious Hawke. She’d read The Tale of the Champion like most of Thedas but there were still so many questions. She could tell in places where Varric had smoothed over his friend’s real thoughts and feelings on certain subjects and that interested her greatly. Varric had glossed over most of her questions but she’d get to the bottom of it, she’d always been incredibly nosy. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She offered a small smile in affirmation of making Alistair a priority. She didn’t know the exact circumstances of their separation but she didn’t need to. The man clearly still held her cousin’s heart and that was reason enough to find him, on top of the practicalities of discovering where the Wardens had gone. Though that subject also made her uneasy considering that Elysia, who was incredibly capable, didn’t know. She remembered a bit of information Leiliana had passed on and decided to share, perhaps Elysia knew of the recruiter the spymaster spoke of. “Sia Leiliana did mention one Warden being in the area. One Blackwall? Evidently of some rank. I’m sure he’d be eager to speak with you.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She returned her gaze to the fire while Elysia all but excused herself from the topic but her eyes were drawn to the gates as some of the troops filed in, escaping the coming dark and likely heading to the little inn. Among them was powerful Cassandra who walked as though the very ground should part for her. The woman and Varia hadn’t gotten off to the best foot with death threats and vehement lack of desire to cooperate on Varia’s part, but there was no lack of respect for the woman. Varia didn’t know if they’d ever be friends, but she was good to have in a fight. And then, of course, came Commander Cullen. Elysia’s comment from earlier brought a pink tinge to Varia’s cheeks as she watched him, eager to chat with his men while maintaining an air of distance. He was [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]absurdly handsome all things considered and so[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] tall. [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]She guessed he was easily six and half feet, with what she suspected to be very broad shoulders under his heavy mantle. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She realized, after she managed to tear her eyes away, that Elysia was looking at her as though waiting for an answer. Varia stared back dumbly for a moment but Varric came to her rescue with a knowing smile. “I’m sure the armorer would be thrilled to fit Hero of Ferelden, hmm?” Varia nodded swiftly. “Of course. We’ll speak to him in the morning. I’m sure he’d got plenty of it lying around.” She smiled swiftly and stood up, stretching her arms above her head. “Are you bunking with me Elysia or have they found somewhere to put you?” The cay was wearing on her and her still sore bones and the journey to the Hinterlands, though welcome, would be a long one. Particularly with Solas no doubt questioning Elysia on every aspect of the Blight and Commander Cullen being among them. Varia distantly guessed she should apologize to him for what he’d observed earlier that day, but the thought of it made her stomach churn. [/SIZE]

Elysia

"Blackwall," Elysia repeated at the mention of another Warden. Her eyebrows drew together as she tried to put a face to the name but nothing came to mind. "The name is familiar but I'm not certain we've met. He's in Ferelden, you say?" she asked. She hadn't been in Ferelden in some months and it wasn't as though she knew every Warden now, anyway. After the Blight, recruitment had been slow but she had left that task in the capable hands of Nathanial Howe. Varia had mentioned that Blackwall was of high rank, howver. Perhaps he simply did not hail from Ferelden. It would be good to speak with him, in any case. If he was last seen in the Hinterlands, there was hope they would come across him. Perhaps he would have some news about the other Wardens and about Alistair....

Thankfully, Elysia was distracted from that thought at her cousin's own distraction. She followed her gaze to Seeker Cassandra, and Commander Cullen beside her. She smirked, watching Varia's face as she took in the Templar. She shared a quick look with Varric at the other woman's blushing cheeks and how she hadn't seemed to hear a thing she had said. When she finally turned to her,  Sia couldn't help but laugh lightly.

"I hope it's not too short notice," she said in way of a reply, still amused and delighted by the ever growing possibility that there was a potential romance blossoming before her eyes. If course it was very early days, yet, but it was nice to focus on something other than the hole in the sky and the demons scouring the land. When Varia stood to go to bed, she rose to her own feet. 

"No one has mentioned it yet but if it's not too much trouble, I'd rather stay with you," she smiled, hoping the other woman wouldn't mind. "I have my bedroll with me." She was used to sleeping rough and she would give up the comfort of a bed as long as she could spend time with her cousin. She didn't really want to part from her now that she'd gotten her back.

"Goodnight, Varric."

"Goodnight, ladies," The Dwarf replied with a grin. "Don't get into too much trouble in the Hinterlands," he cautioned, playfully. Elysia grinned in reply and linked her arm with Varia's as the two made to leave.

"We'll try," she called over her shoulder. She couldn't make any promises. Trouble seemed to follow her like a recently imprinted mabari pup. 

Cullen

Despite agreeing that it was best to get some rest before departing for the Hinterlands, Cullen didn't follow his own advice. He had spent the night preparing his lieutenant and drawing up defensive plans should the holding be attacked by demons while he was away. Some of the new recruits were positively under-prepared, but Cullen trusted his men to keep them training hard whilst he journeyed further East. Rifts were opening up all over Ferelden and Orlais, perhaps further out, and they needed as many able bodied men and women to dispatch the demons that poured from them, until Varia could close the tears in the veil. It was a relief to hear her say she would remain, even if she had made it entirely too obvious that she didn't wish to. If the Hero of Ferelden left, would they be able to convince Varia that she was still needed? It was a thought that he would worry about another time. She was here for now, and they had a mission. 

Cullen came across the two women as he was passing the smithy. Varia's golden hair glinted prettily in the sunlight and Cullen couldn't help but feel distracted by it for a moment. Clearing his throat, he turned his gaze instead to the other woman. Elysia no longer donned her Warden armour. Instead, she wore somewhat mismatched leathers. Leliana had advised them that the rest of the Wardens were missing and while the Hero seemed to have no knowledge of why, it was best to keep her identity as much a secret as they could. At least until they knew more. Perhaps then her presence would give them greater influence. 

"We should set off soon," he said as he neared the two women and the armourer. "We are decidedly low on horses, but there was enough to spare for the four of us what with you bringing your own, Warden Commander." The Hero turned to him and smiled.

"Elysia, please. I passed that title along some time ago." she insisted and he nodded his understanding. He had given up his title of Knight-Commander, given up being a Templar. He was devoted solely to the Inquisition, now. "We're just ready," Elysia assured him before turning back to the armouror. "Thank you for fitting me on such short notice."

"It's no trouble," he waved her off, rubbing his oily hands on an equally oily rag. "The pieces were just lying around. I'll have something better fitting ready for when you return."

"Thank you," the Warden smiled prettily before turning to her cousin. "Shall we?" Cullen could see Solas coming through the main gates, staff in hand, just in time to join them.  

Varia had actually laughed at Elysia when the woman tried to put a bedroll down on her floor. Her bed may not have been very spacious but the two women would be comfortable enough. They’d shared beds and baths and everything else through their childhoods, leaving her on the floor was a ludicrous notion. Varia slept better than she had since arriving at Haven with Elysia’s warm back as a pillow. 

The morning did not find her so comfortable, however, as a long journey was ahead of them and there was significant soreness lingering in her bones. She managed, however to dress in her new armor. She was pleased that the leather vest had open enough arms for her to comfortably draw her bow and that the arm guards were light weight. The smith certainly deserved a reward. When Elysia was ready they made the short walk to said smith who seemed to know very well exactly how good his work was. Confidence was key, Varia supposed. 

While Elysia was being prepared, Varia gnawed a piece of dried meat and got acquainted with the horse the Lieutenant had brought forward. It was obviously of no fine breeding but seemed sturdy and good natured, if not a bit chilly. He was glad for the blonde’s stroking and little words of encouragement. She’d never been fond of her father’s mabaris but she had loved the horses and relished to find the Dalish kept them along with their elegant Halla.

She glanced up at the feeling of being watched and both she and her new companion tracked Cullen with their eyes. He’d left his heavy coat behind it seemed in favor of armor more practical of riding horseback and his shoulders were just as broad as Varia suspected. She wished, in a distant way, that he had something unpleasant about him but his abdomen and chest were strong and firm looking and his arms filled out his armor very nicely. She managed to maintain her facial features, just barely,  as he and Elysia exchanged pleasantries. She glanced at her horse who snorted. “I agree wholeheartedly.” She murmured, stroking his nose. 

Varia was grateful to have both Cullen and Elysia there, both capable leaders eager to take on that role which meant less effort on her part. She offered a bright smile to Solas when he arrived and the elf dipped his head to all of them in greeting. “The Breach is holding, this is good news for all of us.” He offered, seeming a bit awkward as he mounted the horse assigned to him. Varia nodded, ignoring the way the light in her hand seemed to fluctuate at the very mention of its parent. “I’m glad I’ve accomplished something.” She hadn’t meant to sound resentful but it seemed her natural tone was beginning to ring with discontent. Solas, far more clever than he had any right to be, fell into a comfortable silence as the four of them started towards the road that would lead them out of the cold mountains and down into the valley. 

The would be herald felt light on a horse’s back and the ever warming temperature seemed to revive her spirits. She and Solas had a rousing discussion on how unusual her showing elven features was but both slacked off on speaking once they began to see hints of the green valley below them. Varia felt a moment of distaste for the color, but she ignored it in favor of being grateful for the warmth of it. 

Solas pulled his horse up beside Elysia as they were all done admiring the valley. “I hear among the many legends of your journey during the blight that you had a rather unique encounter in the fade.” Varia smirked at her cousin knowing she wouldn't have any escape from the elf until the topic had been exhausted. “I spend much of my time walking between this world and the next but what you and your companions supposedly experienced seems entirely different than the average trip, if there is such a thing.”

As the other two rode ahead, Varia found herself riding beside the Commander. Her horse betrayed her and reached over to sniff and nuzzle at the man’s seemingly much more trained mount. This is like something from a bad romance tale. She thought in an agitated manner after her attempts to right the horse’s head failed. She glanced hesitantly at Cullen and then sighed heavily. Now or never, she supposed.

“I should apologize for my behavior yesterday. I hadn't intended anyone but Elysia to overhear that outburst.” She stroked the little stallion’s mane as the two horses kept pace together.

“But all the same you have not been unkind to me and another in your position could have argued to have me killed on the spot. All of you could have.” She spared a glance at him. “Anyway, what I'm trying to say is...this isn't what I want for myself. But I'm here. And I'll stay as long as I can.” Her gaze left him and returned to the wilderness below. And even if you don't like me you're welcome in my bed. Her cheeks tinged yet again at the thought. 

Elysia

Elysia had always liked the Hinterlands, and she had passed through them often enough that they had fast become familiar. She liked the small villages and sweet little farm houses. She had hoped that there would be a time when she and Alistair might settle down together in a home like the ones dotted throughout the area, but there was always something else to do; they were always needed elsewhere. Their time was limited and Elysia wanted to make the most of it, but she couldn't be selfish. Regardless of how much she wanted to be and especially now that she had told Varia off for that very thing. 

Solas drew her attention away from thoughts of 'could be's' when he asked her about her trip to the Fade during the Blight. She had only been twice, and both instances had been unpleasant, to say the least. The Fade unsettled her. Everything just felt... off. She certainly didn't want to return. Not like the times before. "Supposedly, yes," the Warden repeated with a wry grin. "I'm certain the stories have been wildly exaggerated." She should have been more enthusiastic when she was talking about ending the Blight, but the victory had been poisoned by the way it had been won. Sia grimaced at herself. When had she become so bitter? There was a time when she was carefree and hopeful- no, confident, that things would turn out right in the end. Now she couldn't help but expect the worst in every situation. Hopefully spending more time with Varia would lift her spirits. It had been nice to forget their worries and reminisce on their childhood. She had had too much time alone in her travelling to Haven; too much time for thoughts. The distraction of company was very much welcomed.

Solas was still waiting on her answer so Elysia drew her horse to trot alongside his, patting the stallion's neck. "It wasn't at all glorious," she assured him as she looked ahead. "We fell victim to a Sloth demon and it trapped us in the Fade. Somehow, we managed to find one another, my Companions and I, and together we fought the demon to escape." She went into detail after and that, partly to pass the time but also because the elven mage seemed incredibly curious. Given his experience with the Fade, she wasn't entirely surprised.

"It was nothing as impressive as what you have the ability to do, Solas," she commented after she had finished sharing her version of the tale. "At will. Varia has told me about your journeys to the Fade." Why he would wish to go willingly, Elysia didn't know. His experience was so different to her own. The only pleasant things she had encountered were the lies weaved by something sinister. Solas seemed to be able to see entirely different things and meet spirits who didn't wish him harm. Varia had mentioned he slept to access the Fade, like anyone else, but he didn't dream. Instead he was able to travel the Fade like she had been able to. At least, the small part of it the demon had access to. It was truly fascinating that he had that ability on his own, without aid of lyrium or demons.

Elysia's attention was pulled away from the elf by movement up ahead. She lifted her head and surveyed the area below them, tightening her grip on the reigns of her horse as her eyes settled on the people up ahead.

"Fighting," She called over her shoulder to Varia and Cullen who lagged a little ways behind. "Let's move!" She gave Solas a nod before kicking her heels into her horse's side. He took off down the hill towards the commotion. They'd been forewarned that the fighting between the mages and templars was occurring primarily in this area. Innocent people who had nothing to do with the war had been hurt, or worse, in the crossfire. Ferelden had enough to deal with with the demons pouring from the sky. The people should be pulling together to fight the true threat, not one another. Why was there always some form of a civil war when it was most important that they remain united?

Cullen

It felt good to get out and do something. Cullen was glad for the break from planning and preparing for things that might never come to fruition. Being out here, physically working towards a goal, was refreshing. He rode quietly for some time, content to just be in the company of the others. It wasn't until they had neared the lush green fields of the Hinterlands that Varia drew back to speak to him; to apologize. He was surprised that she had made the effort to. She had seemed so cross in the beginning; so unwilling to help. He had fast expected she would flee in the night but here she stood, ready to fight until she was no longer needed. He nodded at her, the corners of his mouth lifting in a small smile. 

"I have no illusions about the difficulty we will face, but without you things would be much more grave than they are. I'm glad that you chose to stay." Without her, who knew where they would be now. The Inquisition could continue but without a way to close the breach and the rifts, it would be next to impossible to keep the demons at bay. She was needed. She probably would be for a very long time. 

Cullen studied the young woman for as long as he dared without seeming as though he were staring. She was very pretty, especially with that flush of colour across her cheeks. Often she seemed so tiny, and so sad. He felt a pang of guilt that they had essentially forced her into this role. She must feel as though the world was on her shoulders, and in a sense, it was. The pressure must be enormous. Was it really so surprising that she had wanted to flee at the first opportunity?

"We will stand behind you," The Templar assured her, hoping she understood that. "You're not alone in this." The Inquisition would be her support, her guiding hand. Although she alone could close the rifts, they would do their best to get her that far.

Cullen's thoughts were interrupted when Elysia called their attention. He kicked off after her, hurrying his horse down the hill towards the sounds of metal clashing against metal and cries of exertion and pain. When they were close enough, he dismounted and drew his sword and shield, holding the latter high and aloft as he moved forward. There were flashes of lightning and ice shooting through the air and the familiar thrumming sound of templars cancelling magic. 

"Stand down!" Cullen ordered, though the fighting continued relentlessly. "Lower your weapons!"

"They're not listening. We have to stop them!" Elysia called from behind him. An arrow zoomed through the air past his shoulder and Cullen turned his head in time to see her draw a second arrow and loose it towards the fighting. She dropped it then, and pulled a set of daggers from the belt around her waist. He turned towards the rogue mages and Templars as she darted past him and into the fray. He raised his shield again as a blast of ice was shot his way. It pounded against the metal, shattering and sending shards in all directions. Cullen lifted his blade to parry the blow from a nearby Templar, pushing him back with his shield before striking swiftly with his sword. 

Varia smiled, relief flooding her in response to her apology being accepted. There was nothing to stop him from being cold, but Cullen impressed yet again with his decentness. His smile was small but genuine and Varia was mildly agitated by it. Not even a strange mouth. He’s flawless. She averted her gaze demurely through his reassurances. You are not alone in this. Until the day before that was precisely how she felt. Surrounded by strange men and women who only valued her for a curse carved into her flesh. But suddenly she had family beside her and a few kind faces among a sea of doubt. She couldn’t suppress the hope that blossomed weakly in her chest, chasing away the hateful green that haunted her.

“Thank you Commander. I intend to hold you to that promise.” She returned her gaze to the road ahead of them. Solas was enraptured by whatever Elysia was telling him, the wheels obviously turning in his mind. He seemed ready to ask another barrage of questions, but all of their attention was drawn away by Elysia’s shout. Varia hesitated for a moment as her cousin sprang into combat, with Cullen close behind her. From what she could see magic was flying here and there with templars caught in the mix, eagerly cutting down any who got in their way.

After fighting the demons at Cassandra’s side, it was strange to see human carnage. Why would they fight one another when the sky was literally falling down around them? She gripped her bow, lips pursed. She’d rarely had to kill humans or elves, instead mostly dealing with monsters or wild animals during her time with the Dalish. Her bow was deadly, but turning it on these people...But as Solas began to return fire with his own spells and Cullen and Elysia found themselves knee deep into the fray, Varia knew there was no longer a choice for her.

Clearly, roguish behavior ran in their family. Elysia’s own mother had been a skilled archer while Varia’s though untrained had swift fingers and a talent for remaining unseen. The blonde channeled that as she slid off her frightened horse and knocked an arrow. Her first shot found purchase in the slit of a templar’s helmet. The large man fell down dead and the young archer sucked in a breath. In between shots, it became clear that her companions were immensely skilled. The mages stood little chance against Cullen, whose Templar training was obviously still rooted deeply in him. Solas’ command of both the elements and spiritual magic kept the others safe. Her cousin was a whirl of blades and blood that made Varia feel very unequipped.

Her arrows flew true though, finding weak spots beneath arms and helmets. They were just like animals, eyes and hearts and knees would ruin them. One of the templars noticed her at some point, and eagerly charged her way. The blonde took a step back when her arrow was batted aside by his shield and before she could react that same shield bashed her flat onto her back. The templar shoved his sword down with full intent of running her through but Varia swiftly brought her bow up and with a quick twist of her wrist, trapped the blade between the strong cord and the hardened wood. The templar grunted and jerked and the half elf used his strength to twist the blade away completely. Before he could reach for a side arm, Varia kicked straight up into his unguarded groin and when he inevitably buckled, stabbed his own blade under his helmet and into his throat.

The ferocity of the movement unseated the headgear and Varia was face to face with a boy who she very much doubted was older than twenty. She gulped as his blood spattered across her face. She hurriedly shoved herself free and crawled backwards on her hands. The others fought on and Varia used that motivation to get herself on her feet and continue the fight. She didn’t let anyone get close after that. Not again. She assisted where she could, firing shots that pinned legs to the ground and crippled others, paving a way for the others to fight the larger enemies.

Elysia

Elysia usually favored her bow, but with Solas and Varia providing support from a distance, she was of better use up front. She could be just as deadly with her blades, in any case. While she'd had a little skill when she'd set off those ten years ago, it had only been the little she'd learned sparring with Fergus or with Ser Gilmore when they had time to humor her. Zevran had helped her train at camp sometimes, too, but it had been pure necessity that really taught her how to fight in close quarters. She'd been so clumsy and unaware in the beginning, it was a wonder she survived as long as she did. Her companions had often come to her aid, but she had learned to return the favor. By the time the Blight was over, she felt like a seasoned warrior. There had been so much she'd had to learn, and fast. She'd felt wholly overwhelmed and under prepared and she understood the fear Varia must feel at the task that lay before them now. She knew that desire to run all too well. 

A Templar lunged for her, sword arm outstretched in the hopes of piercing her leathers, but his own heavy armor slowed him. Elysia moved with a trained smoothness and twisted out of the way at the last moment. The blade glided across her side but didn't cut and the Templar stumbled forward when he found no purchase on her body. She took advantage of the movement and pulled his head back by his helm, drawing her dagger across his throat swiftly and firmly. The warm, wetness of blood splattered across her hand as she let the body slump to the dirt path and she spun, not giving herself time to think, only react.

Elysia had never enjoyed taking a life, though she had grown quite skilled at it in the last decade. She took no pleasure in seeing the light leave someone's eyes; of knowing she had put to death someone's brother, or son, or lover. She hated the killing she found herself doing all too often. Hated each life that stained her hands red, hated the blemish it left within her that she could never wash away. It helped, though not by much, to picture them as the villians; to believe that they deserved this, that she was protecting others from being harmed in the future. It didn't make her feel any less remorseful.

The Warden didn't turn quickly enough. White hot pain shot through her as a mage pushed the fiery end of her staff firmly against her ribs. She cried out, dropping one of her daggers in favor of grabbing at the woman's weapon and pulling the heated end away from her body. The smell of leather grew stronger and cloying, like rotting flesh, and Elysia retched. Despite the thick material on her body, she could feel the burn on her skin and she hissed in pain, using her grip on the staff to pull the mage towards her and push a blade up between her ribs and into her heart. The woman slumped against her with a strangled gasp and Elysia released her, stepping backwards and resisting the urge to clutch at her injured side, lest someone else move to attack her. She needed to keep alert; keep ready. Letting her guard down was the first step to getting herself killed.

She needn't have worried, in any case. Her companions had made short work of the remaining hostiles and the area was quiet again save for their ragged breathing. Elysia allowed herself to relax, lifting a hand to her stinging side and wincing at the feeling. Her leathers weren't burned through, at least. They would hold as long as she was aware of protecting that side when they needed to fight again. She'd fought with armour in a lot worse shape than this.

Cullen wiped his sword free from blood and sheathed it before moving to help the injured couple who had been caught up in the commotion. They didn't appear to be mages or Templars, just simple people who had been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The man sporting a blackened eye that was fast growing darker, and the woman cradled her wrist to her chest but they seemed otherwise unharmed. They had been lucky that their injuries were not more substantial if the stories they had heard from the scouts were anything to go by. The Commander was speaking about Haven, about the Inquisition and the protection they could provide, and Elysia took the opportunity to move to Varia. She smiled grimly at her cousin.

"You've gotten better with that bow," she commented as she retrieved her own from where she had discarded it. "Maybe even better than me." Her smile grew more sincere, though not by much considering they still stood among dead bodies. There was no victory in this. Not when it was people. She was impressed by Varia's skill, in any case. She hadn't been oblivious to that shot at the very beginning; her cousin's aim so accurate she had loosed an arrow directly through the eye of one of the Templars. They had practiced archery together as children, under careful supervision of course, but it was nothing in comparison to this when they needed it to fight and survive. Seeing how capable her cousin was eased some of the tension from Sia's shoulders. She was able for the task that lay ahead. 

[SIZE=14.6667px]And just as swiftly as it began, the fight was over. Varia lowered her bow and realized only now that she was shaking. The smell of blood was inescapable considering it was smeared across her face and she wished fiercely for the hot springs. But she focused on her allies and started into the carnage to gather back as many arrows as she could. Many of them remained in tact but too many were too deeply lodged to be retrieved without cutting and more had been broken against bone. She wiped those she salvaged clean of gore, focused on finding the silver beneath the red and black. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]She glanced up when she heard Cullen’s voice and it occurred to her that she hadn’t even bothered to ensure her allies were alive. The warrior seemed to have hardly been ruffled by the fighting as was of course coming to the rescue of the townsfolk caught in the fighting. Solas appeared no worse for wear. And Elysia...The blonde offered a weak smile when he cousin approached favoring her side and sporting smouldering leathers. She frowned at the wound and reached over immediately to grasp the other woman’s hand. She shaking had stopped for the most part, but she doubted she’d be able to feel at rest until she could clean the young templar’s blood off of her skin. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Of course Elysia, in typical form, made no comment on her burn and instead complimented Varia’s skill. She chuckled weakly and shrugged her shoulders. “The Dalish have no servants to bring them meat.” She reached up to move a piece of hair out of Elysia’s face and caught her eyes for a moment. “Is it very painful?” Ten years of fighting had obviously made Elysia a force to be reckoned with. She’d been a whirlwind of blades and yet struck with incredible precision that Varia had been able to observe on many of the bodies she’d incapacitated. “You were incredible. I’m sure you’ve put Fergus to shame. I’m rather hopeless with a blade, you’ll have to teach me.” She could improvise, of course, as she had with the templar’s sword but that had been luck more than anything. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Solas came over to join them then, eye Elysia’s side. It struck Varia that the area was wooded so she wandered a few paces away. Solas followed her with his gaze and what she brought back brought a small smile to his face. The half elf held up a sprig of elfroot. “It’s everywhere. I’m sure I can make a poultice for you.” Solas nodded in approval. Most everyone knew the benefits of the common plant but putting that knowledge to work was nothing to balk at. “I suspect we will only find more violence such as this.” He gestured to the scattered bodies. “The war will likely only spin more out of control with the conclave’s failure.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Varia nodded, dread creeping up her throat. She’d known, logically, that she’d have to fight at some point. Hell, only a few days ago she’d been sinking her arrows into the strange bodies of demons. But there it was truly strange to see the infighting from the war up close. “Perhaps the Inquisition can do something to assist this area.” She surprised herself a bit with saying something like that, but seeing the fear on the couple’s face and the carnage all around them, it seemed an easy choice to make. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Varia dismissed herself again for a moment to set about gathering their scattered mounts. They were all in good condition though her own little horse was skittish. She lead them back to the center along with a heavier mount that must have belonged to one of the Templars. “I suppose there’s no harm in taking him, hmm?” With that done, she eyed the rest of the valley, or at least what they could see of it. The forward camp wouldn’t be far off which would put them close to the chantry woman they were supposed to be recruiting. She hoped Cullen and Elysia would do most of the talking. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Solas cleared his throat and glanced over to Cullen. “Are we ready Commander? I very much doubt being caught in twilight would serve our cause well.” Varia nodded in agreement. “Aside from the murderous templars and crazed mages, I wouldn’t be surprised if the fighting has drawn in wildlife to the dead.” The idea of facing a bear in the night was not a pleasant one. [/SIZE]

Elysia

Elysia smiled at Varia's response to her compliment. "True enough," she agreed. She had not had to hunt for her food until the Blight had begun, and even then it wasn't as though it was for every meal. Varia had likely been hunting all through her teenage and adult years. The practice had clearly paid off. She was a very talented archer. Elysia slung her own bow over her shoulder once she had sheathed her blades, wincing as the movement pulled the skin above her ribs. Varia clearly noticed her pain and Sia waved her off goodnaturedly, though she didn't pull away when she took her hand and squeezed gently.

"I've been worse," she assured her, and it was true. She'd had all sorts of injuries and ailments from battle and she had come out stronger for it. Even so, the pain was distracting. She hoped there wasn't too much farther to travel so that she could see to the burn. "Are you alright?" The Warden asked, only now noticing the loss of colour in her cousin's cheeks, and her slightly shaking hands. Had this been the first time she had killed another person? Elysia's mouth pressed into a grim line. It was no easy thing. She had been overwhelmed with guilt the first time she had taken a life, even despite the fact that she had been protecting herself. It was a terrible thing to have on one's conscience, but this was the world they lived in. If you didn't fight, you wouldn't survive. 

The young woman allowed herself to be distracted by mention of her brother and she chuckled as she released Varia's hand. "I'd love to see the look on his face when I knock him flat on his backside," she grinned and her eyes turned wistful after a moment. "I must return to Highever and visit him again. It has been too long." Perhaps Varia would come with her this time. Fergus would be delighted to see her once more. He always pressed about Sia coming to visit and perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if she had more company to distract herself with. It was her home, and though it had been tainted by what Arl Howe had done, she didn't want to abandon it forever. 

Talk turned to fighting again and Elysia was glad of the change in topic. "Of course!" She agreed at once when Varia requested she teach her what she knew about handling a set of daggers. "I didn't get this way alone. We'll train together when we have time to spare," she promised. It was always good to have a sparring partner and if she could help Varia better protect herself, all the better. Enemies got close, and when they did it was best to be prepared. 

The other woman moved away and Elysia took the moment to gather herself and inspect her singed armour. The armourer was not going to be happy that she had destroyed the first set of leathers already. She would pay him for it, and hopefully he wouldn't mind so much. He didn't seem to be quite so fanatical as the man who had created the drake scale armour she'd once worn. Looking up again in time to see Varia holding aloft a sprig of elfroot, Elysia smiled softly at the thought.  

"Thank you," she replied earnestly when the rogue offered to make her a poultice. It was nice to have someone worry for her again. She's been travelling alone or with strangers for months now. It felt good to have companions again. Especially one that was family. Sia's smile only widened when Varia expressed a desire to help the people in the area. Thank the Maker she hadn't meant her words before! Elysia was relieved to learn she did wish to help, even if she was reluctant in the beginning. The Warden had a feeling she would have remained to help even if she had never shown up. Varia had a good heart. She wouldn't let the people suffer. 

"Yes, I'm certain something can be done," she agreed, sharing a pleased look with Solas. 

Cullen

The couple who had gotten caught up in the fighting had been immensely grateful for their timely arrival. The man had told Cullen as much a dozen times already. They were simple folk, farmers, and they reminded him very much of the family he had left in Honnleath. His own parents had perished to the darkspawn because no one had warned them of the threat. He didn't want anyone else to suffer when he could do something about it. He assured the pair that there would be safe shelter for them with the Inquisition if they were in need of somewhere to stay while the war raged in the Hinterlands. He urged them to spread word that the Inquisition were trying to help, and they assured him that they would.

The former Templar looked up when Solas called to him an he nodded his agreement once he had bid farewell to the couple. "Yes, of course." He moved back to the small group of companions and took the reign of his own horse from Varia. "We should keep moving. The forward camp is just up ahead." He inclined his head further down the valley and lead them in that direction without any further pressing. It only took a quarter of an hour to reach the troops, what with their horses. Dusk was fast approaching but they had time, yet. Cullen dismounted and headed towards the man in control of this particular unit of men. 

"Corporal Vale," he greeted him, grasping his forearm firmly. Vale's eyebrows lifted in surprise as he first took in Cullen, and then the small party behind him. 

"Commander! We weren't expecting you to arrive with the Herald," he admitted, eyes flickering towards the glowing mark on Varia's hand before nodding at her. Cullen looked behind him towards the rogue and then returned his attention to the Corporal. 

"I thought it best I see what we're dealing with first hand," Cullen explained. He had grown far too used to issuing orders and delegating tasks. He wanted to do some good; to see that they were actually helping as well as they could be. It was good to keep an eye on his men, in any case. They would be more inclined to stick to their posts if there was fear of random spot checks from their commander.  

"The mages and Templars don't seem to care who gets caught in their war," Vale said, eyes scanning the small encampment where some of the soldiers were training. "The refugees here are in dire need of help. If the war doesn't kill them, cold or starvation will." He sighed heavily and crossed his arms over his chest with a shake of his head. "We're doing all we can for them but until the war has ended, things are likely to worsen."

The party had drawn the attention of most all of the recruits in the area; Varia specifically. Not many had had the opportunity to see the mark up close, much less behold what it could do. One of the men commented to another on the beauty of the Herald and Cullen shot them a sharp look that sent them scattering back to whatever they were doing previously. He convinced himself it was only to get them back to work and nothing more.

"We'll have any spare supplies delivered from Haven once we've returned," Cullen assured Vale as he turned back to him. "If we come across anything to help in the meantime, we'll send it your way."

"That would be much appreciated," The Corporal nodded, looking relieved. Things must be as bad as they had been lead to believe. Looking out over the hills, he could see as much. There were towers of ice and smoke billowed up into the clouds; all a result of the carnage created by the fighting. These people had fled their homes in fear for their lives and Cullen prayed that they would be able to protect them.

"We're looking for Mother Giselle," Elysia spoke up as she stepped forward to fall in line with her cousin. "We were advised she was in the area." 

Vale nodded, pointing west. "You'll find her just up ahead at the crossroads. She's tending to some of the wounded." He glanced up towards the sky briefly and then turned his attention back to the party of four and their mounts. "It'll be getting dark soon. There's plenty of room to rest up ahead providing you've brought some bedrolls." It felt wasteful to rest when they had only just arrived but there was little they could do while it was dark. It was better to travel the roads when the sun was up to avoid any unnecessary ambushes. In any case, they had come to speak to Mother Giselle, and she was here. They could do that much before the sun set.

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]The walk through the woods was therapeutic. If she kept her gaze up towards the tree tops, she could pretend she was home. She could reach out and brush her fingers through the foliage and imagine she was returning to her clan. But, soon the canopy gave way and another ugly camp opened up in front of them. It was buzzing with the sort of frantic activity that indicated barely contained crisis. Scouts were coming and going and it became evident that the man Cullen was approaching was in charge. Vale, something to remember while they were in the area. She returned his nod of greeting and listened intently to the conversation. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]More bad news it seemed.Varia’s attention was drawn away, however, by the inescapable feeling of being watched. She stiffened and glanced at the small crowd, fingers instinctively curling to blunt the glow of the Mark. Like a deer, she wished to flee back into the woods. The gaze of humans, and mostly men, was the last thing she wanted. She’d need to start wearing heavy gloves. Maybe a hood if this continued. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Luckily, Cullen’s sharp gaze scattered the onlookers, save for a few who watched the two women more subtly. She exchanged a glance with Solas who seemed on the verge of rolling his eyes and felt her mood lighten gently. At least Mother Giselle was nearby. This day could be over sooner rather than later. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]She wandered over to the nearest supply area and restocked her quiver and nearly announced she was ready when a raven fluttered about her shoulder until she extended her forearm for it. The bird cawed insistently until one of the scouts came over some sort of biscuit. “They expect to be fed when they reach their destination.” He offered with a small smile. Varia flushed in embarrassment. No different than the Dalish falcons. “Thank you.” She offered crumbs to the raven who cooed affectionately and offered its foot. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]With the tiny scroll carefully removed, Varia was now free to open it. She hadn’t had opportunity to read Leliana’s elegant script until now but she was rather impressed with it. Her script simply read [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]You both may find this interesting. [/SIZE][SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Attached was a report concerning none other than Alistair the Warden who was not far off at all it seemed. There was a second report concerning the young mercenary who’d been skulking around Haven with a message from his group. Also not too far off. The blonde, with the Raven still perched, gathered a few more supplies for her poultice she’d find time to make this evening, then approached her cousin with a soft smile. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]“Good news.” She passed on the scroll and gave the other woman’s arm a squeeze. They could discuss the details of their no doubt nearing trip over the fire that evening. Solas looked on for a moment then gestured at the position of the sun with his staff. “Best we be going unless we intend to spend the night on the road..” Varia nodded and joined the elf in walking down the path. The horses would only get in the way for the short journey and there was no doubt that there would be some sort of fighting. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]As they walked, Varia noted a few statues and landmarks as they passed, not that the road was very difficult to navigate at this point. Still though, everything would look different if they got caught in the dark. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.666666666666666px]Within the span of an hour they were nearing the convergence of the roads, this time with little talk between them. However, as it became clear that they’d son be facing down the woman, Varia turned her attention to both Elysia and Cullen as Solas would have little to contribute. “You two are going to talk with her, right? I can wave my hideous glowing hand and she’ll fall to your practiced wiles?” The idea of showing any sort of faith or being charming was petrifying to the young half breed who obviously had a knack for rubbing people the wrong way. “Honestly with the Hero of Ferelden and a former Templar Commander what could she possibly wish to hear from me anyway?” She joked lightly, hoping they’d follow her train of thought. [/SIZE]

Elysia

It saddened Elysia to hear that the people of Ferelden were fleeing from fighting all over again. Were they to be afforded no peace? She hated that there were innocents caught up in this mess between the mages and Templars. Didn't they have enough to deal with with the demons flooding from the sky? Elysia felt as though the Blight were happening all over again. She hated this helplessness and she hoped that speaking with Mother Giselle would gain the Chantry vote. Or at least part of it. The more support the Inquisition had, the better equipped they would be to deal with the war. The sooner that was put to bed, the sooner they would be able to deal with the breach. They would have to choose a side, between the mages and the Templars, and Elysia wondered which they would take. Varia's voice would no doubt hold a great deal of weight, whether she realised it or not. She would likely have the deciding vote. Elysia didn't know which option was the best. Both the mages and Templars were powerful in their own regard, and both posed their own risks.

Varia appeared next to her and Elysia blinked, realising she had been lost in though. She took the proffered scroll, and her heart skipped a beat at mention of Alistair. He was alive, thank the Maker, and still outrunning the Wardens. She swallowed past the emotion in her throat and gave her cousin a smile of gratitude, folding the report and tucking it into one of the hidden pockets of her cloak. She would find him soon and he would be safe. Or as safe as either of them ever were, considering all that had happened.

Elysia hurried after her companions, spirits lifted considerably now that she had word. Andraste bless Leliana's terrifying ability to find those that didn't wish to be found.

Cullen

It didn't take all too long to near the crossroads Corporal Vale had mentioned. As they grew closer, Varia turned towards them and he snorted at her request to do the talking. That had never been his strong suit. Certainly not when it concerned the Chantry. "I highly doubt the Revered Mother will care what I have to say." The feeling would be mutual.

"She did request to speak to you, specifically, Varia," Elysia reminded  the other woman, not unkindly. Cullen did not envy her the task. He'd had his fill of the Chantry. The Warden linked her arm with her cousins and smiled. "I'll do the talking," she offered. "But if she insists on speaking to you alone, there isn't much that I can do."

Cullen's eyes flickered to Varia's glowing hand. He didn't think it hideous at all. Though perhaps that was because he had never known her without it. In any case, she was beautiful. The men at the camp had made that obvious enough with their staring. He wondered if it would disappear if- when they managed to close the breach, or if it would remain a permanent reminder on her skin. Perhaps she wouldn't mind it so much if she knew it had saved them all.

There were refugees everywhere once they got to the crossroads and Solas dismissed himself to aid with the healing. There seemed to be a high demand for anyone with knowledge in medicine of healing magic. Too many had died for the pointless fighting, and many more were injured, but there was only so much that they could do. At least the Hinterlands was lousy with elfroot.

Cullen lifted his gaze from the injured innocents. There were some of their own soldiers here too and Cullen nodded to them as they raised their fists to their chest in greeting. They found Mother Giselle seeing to the wounded by one of the huts. She rose when she saw them approach, her eyes on Varia's hand.

"Mother Giselle?" Elysia asked and the woman nodded in confirmation.

"I am," she replied in her Orlesian accent, glancing towards the Warden briefly before her eyes sought out Varia's. "And you must be the one they are calling the 'Herald of Andraste'." That wouldn't go down well, Cullen imagined. Varia had been profusely refusing such a title since she woke and realized it had been placed upon her. He'd gathered that her religious beliefs followed that of the Dalish and he wondered if she resented the title because of that, or because of the responsibility that came with it. The people looked to her for guidance and he knew she was afraid, but he was glad to see that she remained with them yet; that she was willing to help where she could. 

"Why did you ask us here?" Elysia asked and the Mother didn't answer right away, still considering Varia as though she were tempted to request speaking with her alone. Neither he nor the Warden moved and so she tilted her head to look at Elysia while she answered but her gaze soon flickered back to Varia's whose attention she seemed to want the most. 

"I know of the Chantry's denouncement, and I am familiar with those behind it. I won't lie to you, some of them are grandstanding; hoping to increase their chances of becoming the new Divine. Some are simply terrified. So many good people... senselessly taken from us." She looked away, wringing her hands. "With no Divine, we are each left to our own conscience, and mine tells me this." Her eyes moved back to Varia and she stepped forward, demanding the young woman's full attention. "Go to them," she urged, eyes earnest. "Convince the remaining clerics you are no demon to be feared. They have heard only frightful tales of you. Give them something else to believe."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back