Tech Help Mordey find her computer soulmate

Mordecai

the traitorous queen
Hey kids,

Let’s talk computers. As many of you know, I’m kind of computer illiterate, but I’m looking to buy a new computer by the end of the summer and I’m not sure what I should be looking at. Since there is a whole bunch of super cool cats here who know their stuff about computers, I thought I’d ask around!

What I’m looking for is something under two thousand American dollars (though less would be awesome) that is reliable and decent. Currently, I’m running a six year old macbook pro, which I love and has been absolutely faithful to me, but I’m starting to think it just can’t keep up with what I want it to do anymore. I am a hobbyist in digital art and I will often run several very large files in Photoshop simultaneous with other programs (Skype, Firefox, etc.). I’m not huge in to gaming on computers as I generally prefer counsels; however, I do have Steam and enjoy playing games on there (ie: DotA, Tabletop Simulator, so on). Though, if my computer could handle it, I would game more on my computer.

I like Mac and wouldn’t mind going that route again (as all my programs are for OS X), but I’m not afraid to look outside Mac, either. Note that I do shake in my wellies a little bit every time I try and look at computers.

Laptop, not desktop.

I also know very little about computers besides the basics, so if you could please spell things out to be in simpleton language, that’d be great.

*glossy eyes* Please help.

@DJ MagicHat it is your time to shine.

Mordebutt, I would suggest getting a Windows computer this time around, only because they are generally cheaper. However, for quality and user-friendliness, Macs are defs the way to go.

You say you do digital art, so I would start looking at machines that have at least 6GB of RAM. I like to use Newegg to shop for computers online - here's a link to their laptop section.

I've had both Windows and Mac and I am fine with them both. I like the functionality of Mac more, but... I also like money and capability. So, either way I go is a win for me. *shrug*

I'll take a peek at your link. Thanks. (:

You might be able to buy a refurbished Mac! It won't be quite as nice as one fresh out the box, but it would be discounted.

Doubleposting for this link -

13 inch MacBook Pro for 1.2k on Overstock.com

It has 4GB of memory but you might be able to visit your Apple store and have more put in.

Hm, yes, I could go that route, too. ^-^ I'll have to look into buying a refurbished computer. I may be able to get something slighter better that way. Hehe, funny, I have that computer but in an older edition. I may try and do that, too. Go Mac and add memory. Hmm.. Thank you for all your help Weli, as always. I have plenty to think about.

Please spam away with any links, thoughts, or suggestions.

Acer Aspire (8GB RAM, 2GHz processor, 1TB hard drive, ~700$)

Not the best laptop brand, but not bad either. It's a fancier version of what I have. My main issue with it is that I don't have an indicator for when CapsLock is on. I selected one with a dedicated video card, which means it ought to be able to handle those tougher graphics request - intregated graphics cards tend to be a bit weaker. This model only has three USB ports, but one of them is powered.

EDIT: Bonus, the native resolution of that particular computer is 1920x1200. Nice! My laptop is 1366 by 768, but I have a touchscreen.

[media]

[/media]
*cracks knuckles*

*opens http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=XaZkpyMl20Y#Deadmau5_feat._Gerard_Way_-_Professional_Griefers_(Original_Vocal_Mix) in a new tab*

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE DOCTOR IS IN.

Now then, I have a few questions for you to get us started:

1) What are the three main things you will need this new computer for? (less than three is okay)

2) Do you have an OS preference? (Mac, Windows, Linux, something written in three days by some crazy high school student, whatever)

3) What is/will be your budget?

1) Artsy-fartsy stuff, research, and gaming

2) I have been a longtime Mac user, but I did have Windows in the past. I'm indifferent to either, and I love them both for different reasons.

3) You are terrible at reading. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back